Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Chuck Hagel: The real Manchurian Candidate

Kid from modest background, mediocre student, single parent family, serves in Vietnam in the Ninth Infantry Division (known for its My Lai style massacres in "operation speedy express" see link), works for a GOP Congressman in DC. Takes political job working for the Reagan campaign then works at the VA where he is canned for opposing cuts advocated by his boss.

Suddenly two years later he turns up as "Co-founder" of Vanguard Cellular, which is sold to AT&T for a multimillion dollar profit for Hagel, who has never been in business or technology before, operating in Greensboro NC with partners never known to have been associated with him before or since; and then in short order this miracle man is showered with political posts from hosting the G7 summit in 1990, to serving on the board of the USO and the Private Sector Council and the Red Cross.

In 1996 he returns to Nebraska to run for U.S. Senate. He surprisingly defeats a heavily favored republican opponent in the primary. In the general election he surprised the popular redneck Democrat Ben Nelson, who had been re-elected governor just two years before with 74% of the vote. Hagel's win not only confounds the polls, but he also reportedly wins African-American areas that had never voted Republican before (don't forget the shame black Republican Lawrence King of the Franklin Scandal had brought on Republicans in Nebraska). After Hagel is seated in the Senate he is cited in an ethics probe after Nelson uncovers that Hagel failed to disclose that early in 1996 he was chairman of the voting machine company that counted his own surprising election wins. And he failed to disclose that during the election he still had a $5 million investment in McCarthy Group, which had a 35% interest in the voting machine company. Two weeks after meeting with Hagel, the Senate ethics staffer handling the investigation suddenly resigned and is replaced by someone who redefines the ownership issue to exclude Hagel's investment from scrutiny.

In 2002 Hagel is re-elected with 89%, the second highest margin of any opposed candidate for Senate in U.S. history, despite doing nothing to endear himself to Nebraska.

Who is this man? What accounts for his mysterious rise in the American government?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 31, 2012 9:58 PM

I think John McCain will get the nomination.

by Anonymousreply 1March 28, 2012 5:17 AM

creepy.

by Anonymousreply 2March 28, 2012 6:25 AM

I continue to control his Stim-o-Ceiver implants most excellently.

by Anonymousreply 3March 28, 2012 10:16 AM

It was literally a coin toss whether he would run for Senate in Nebraska or Virginia, but the fact that he hadn't lived in Nebraska since high school was simply swept under the rug by the newspapers.

Everything you write is correct, but I've never been able to figure out who was behind it. Once elected he was (by Nebraska Republican standards) rather liberal. In fact, if you compare his voting record with Ben Nelson you would probably think Nelson was the Republican and Hagel the Democrat. He was also no friend of big military spending, and when he retired from the Senate he started teaching at Georgetown instead of snuggling into a position with one of the usual Republican think tanks, oil companies, or defense contractors.

Someone was pushing him, and I think he was being groomed for the VP slot or a cabinet post, but I've never figured out who was doing it. McCain is a possibility, since Hagel went into attach mode on Bush, but who knows.

by Anonymousreply 4March 28, 2012 2:04 PM

He attended University of Nebraska at Omaha, so I think you mean college. Also, if he were not in with the Bushes, they wouldn't have put him in charge of hosting the G7 summit.

Nonetheless, it sounds like he may be a point man for military control of our government.

by Anonymousreply 5March 28, 2012 4:08 PM

Far too much has been made of his "independence" from the Bushes. Theatrical pretense most likely.

by Anonymousreply 6March 28, 2012 4:12 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he one of the very few elected officials *against* the Iraq War?

Quite the odd choice for a Manchurian candidate: A man opposed to a military conflict.

by Anonymousreply 7March 28, 2012 4:15 PM

Hagel was a carpetbagger of the first order who only moved to Nebraska to run. This as A-OK with the Republicans.

Bob Kerry, who was born and raised in Nebraska, served as Governor, served in the Senate, and lived most of his life in Nebraska until moving to NYC to take a job, well the Republicans just challenged his eligibility all the way to the Nebraska Supreme court, and now they're running endless attack ads calling him an outsider.

The bullshit never stops.

by Anonymousreply 8March 28, 2012 4:16 PM

OP, where did you get this little bit of info and why did you link to a story that doesn't even mention Hagel?

I searched within "The Nation" and didn't find what you wrote. In fact, all of the hits were for his opposition to the war. There's even this "Hagel on Bush & Cheney: "They Have Failed the Country" "

What has he done now to piss off neo cons? Did he mention he's against attacking Iran ro something along those lines?

He's still a Republican, but he's less repulsive than most of them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9March 28, 2012 4:26 PM

or*

by Anonymousreply 10March 28, 2012 4:29 PM

Loosen the screws on your tin hat Mary.

by Anonymousreply 11March 28, 2012 4:41 PM

Since the 2000 and 2004 elections exposed the votecounting chicanery in several states that hasn't yet been resolved, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if he were engineered in.

by Anonymousreply 12March 28, 2012 5:09 PM

He's the epitome of Hot Daddy. I'm surprised no one has mentioned that.

by Anonymousreply 13March 28, 2012 5:16 PM

He was only against the Iraq war after he was for it. A lot after.

by Anonymousreply 14March 28, 2012 5:29 PM

R9=typical of the "echo chamber of ignorance" which infects all progressive boards. There is not and never has been anything remotely progressive about Chuck Hage.

by Anonymousreply 15March 28, 2012 5:31 PM

[quote]He was only against the Iraq war after he was for it. A lot after.

He came out against it "A lot before" most Democrats, including Hillary who still defends it, I'm sure.

You're the one in the echo chamber because you cannot dispute what is absolutely true: So-called progressives continued to defend the lie while a Republican told the truth.

He also supported Obama over McCain.

He also endorsed Sestak (D) over Toomey (R).

He is a Paleo con. He's the kind of conservative you could actually debate and disagree with on a civil level. Neo cons hate him because he isn't a warmonger like all of the chickenhawk cowards who make up the DC think tanks and who never served this country. Do a google search and you'll see what today's GOP thinks of him.

Notice OP hasn't explained why he linked to a story that has nothing to do with his post?

by Anonymousreply 16March 28, 2012 5:59 PM

Your characterization of him is simply true. He is Ground Zero for the destruction of democracy in this country and the fact that he had some dispute the McCain-Bush crowd in 2008 does not change that.

My link has everything to do with him since he served in the 9th Infantry division in Vietnam (was decorated for it) and that division engaged in a series of civilian massacres. I don't know if he was with them when they happened but I do know that Bob Kerrey paid for his misbehavior in Vietnam and find it interesting that everyone is so keen to distance Hagel from Vietnam.

by Anonymousreply 17March 28, 2012 7:11 PM

[quote]Hagel was a carpetbagger of the first order who only moved to Nebraska to run. This as A-OK with the Republicans.

I moved to NYC two months before Hillary Clinton bought a house in Chappaqua. If she's not a carpetbagger, I guess that makes me an old Knickerbocker.

by Anonymousreply 18March 28, 2012 7:20 PM

R11, it is dopes like you who enable the overthrow of America from within.

by Anonymousreply 19March 28, 2012 7:21 PM

But we know who set up Hillary up. Bill C. and Pat Moynihan. We don't know who was behind 1) the Hagel wealth making participation in Vanguard; and 2) the voting machine company; and 3) the Nebraska move. We also don't know the source of his beef with the GOP hierarchy in 2008. There is quite a bit to be explained.

by Anonymousreply 20March 28, 2012 7:24 PM

Maybe it was Jerome Lewis of the Trinity Forum.

by Anonymousreply 21March 28, 2012 7:41 PM

Hagel was the last of a dying breed of Repubs. I always liked him, met him in DC. He was pretty hot for a while. I imagine he is pretty old now.

by Anonymousreply 22March 28, 2012 8:00 PM

You were warned and didn't listen R22. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

by Anonymousreply 23March 31, 2012 9:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!