Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

High-End Los Angeles Restaurants

Name them.

by Anonymousreply 5510/13/2012

Mr. Chow

by Anonymousreply 103/27/2012

Matsukoru Tashimoro on 3rd in Santa Monica. ...by private invitation, you can feast on wild and sometimes illegal delicasies.

by Anonymousreply 203/27/2012

Fig & Olive

Church & State

Comme Ca

Mozza

Son of a Gun

Ink

by Anonymousreply 303/27/2012

LA is nothing but High End Restaurants.

LA had Matsuhisa decades before NY had Nobu.

by Anonymousreply 403/27/2012

Is Jimmy's in BH still in business? Tre glam for the old guard. Saw Reagan, Betsy Bloomingdale, Holmes Tuttle, Robert Stack there one night.

by Anonymousreply 503/27/2012

Ruth's Chris.

by Anonymousreply 603/27/2012

Cut

Il Sole

Matsuhisa

by Anonymousreply 703/28/2012

RE 5 - Have you been sleeiping for 25 years, Rip von Queen ? Jimmys shut down decades ago.

by Anonymousreply 803/28/2012

r5 Re: Holmes Tuttle. I used to work at a car dealership in Beverly Hills in the 80's when I was a teen. I used to answer the phones. Tuttle was a friend of Ronald Reagan. The White House operator (for Reagan) used to call for Tuttle all the time.

by Anonymousreply 903/28/2012

Where does Villa Blanca stand in this list?

by Anonymousreply 1003/28/2012

Craig's in Weho is the new it place.

In the old Melrose Bar and Grille location.

Red-O on Melrose. Rick Bayless' place.

Animal on Fairfax.

Phillipe's on Melrose.

by Anonymousreply 1103/28/2012

R10 it's run by one of the RHOBH so it has a major cheese factor. The kid of place you'd see Ray-J and Brandi Glanville at.

by Anonymousreply 1203/28/2012

The Ludo popup restaurants are probably the hottest ticket in town.

Son of a Gun is the hardest restaurant to get into at the moment.

I checked out Mezze and it was TERRIBLE. Proof that a restaurant can get by on hype and price.

by Anonymousreply 1303/28/2012

Your all wrong !

List : Patina

Cut

Melisse

Mozza

Spago / Still here, still delicious

by Anonymousreply 1403/28/2012

Jimmy's is where the old time stars used to dine. And yes, hadn't realized it closed in 2000.

by Anonymousreply 1503/28/2012

Spago? What am I, a retiree?

by Anonymousreply 1603/28/2012

[quote] Your all wrong

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 1803/28/2012

Beso, bitches

by Anonymousreply 1903/28/2012

Animal sounds interesting, but true, I'd never venture East of La Cienega for dinner. Why bother.

by Anonymousreply 2003/28/2012

I have only been to Fig & Olive once. I must have been lucky with my ordering. The cocktails were terrific.

Comme Ca also has terrific cocktails and the cheese is some of the best I've had in LA. She's not the new girl in town but still worth the time.

It's not a restaurant but the Varnish is a must for any lover of cocktails.

by Anonymousreply 2103/28/2012

When Michelle Obama has been in town she's ate at both Mozza and Phillipe's.

President Obama held a fundraiser at Fig & Olive but I'm sure it wasn't for the food but for the crowd.

by Anonymousreply 2203/28/2012

The Tavern in Brentwood.

by Anonymousreply 2303/28/2012

Please post more suggestions... nice to cut through the hype like this.

by Anonymousreply 2403/28/2012

Red-O and Rick Bayless's flip flops:

by Anonymousreply 2503/28/2012

Hamburger Hamlet.

by Anonymousreply 2603/28/2012

I still like Bazaar @ SLS...

by Anonymousreply 2703/28/2012

More Bayless Pretense

by Anonymousreply 2803/28/2012

Il Cielo in Beverly Hills is gorgeous, wonderful outside setting (indoor dining as well but on a nice night eat outside, it's lovely).

Cicada in downtown LA.

R27 agreed, Bazaar at the SLS in Beverly Hills. Menu is based on chef Jose Andres cuisine.

The Palm in Weho.

by Anonymousreply 2903/28/2012

Crustacean in Beverly Hills.

If you love sea food!

by Anonymousreply 3003/28/2012

Someone told me that Katsuya isn't even all that great and that celebs just go there when they want their picture taken.

by Anonymousreply 3103/28/2012

Nobody eats in LA.

by Anonymousreply 3203/28/2012

Meh

Ugh

D'oh

Wha?

Ooo

by Anonymousreply 3303/28/2012

Campanile

by Anonymousreply 3403/28/2012

Pete's Cafe - Downtown

Iroha - Studio City for Japanese

I just want to say Robaire's had the BEST French food ever!

But it closed decades ago because the owner wanted to retire.

They used to bottle their own salad dressing and sell it. The best!

Haven't been able to find a good one since.

by Anonymousreply 3503/28/2012

bmp

by Anonymousreply 3604/03/2012

LA's high end restaurants, for the most part, aren't really great. What LA has plenty of is very reasonably priced great ethnic food.

by Anonymousreply 3704/03/2012

What r37 said. And to get to most of that food you absolutely must travel East/North/South of WEHO, BH, West LA.

by Anonymousreply 3804/03/2012

The Tick Tock on Western used to serve a lime sorbet to cleanse the pot roast off the palate.

by Anonymousreply 3904/03/2012

Gjelina on Abbot Kinney is nice...

by Anonymousreply 4004/03/2012

OP: Chowhound LA rates restaurants annually for the last few years. You should check out the site for the Ultimate restaurant list of 2011 which just came out recently. It does mix high-end less expensive but immensely popular restos on the list.

I have never been (it's probably $400 just to sit down these days + drinks/tax/tip) but Urasawa in Beverly Hills is probably still the best restaurant in LA by international steroids--it's a combination of sushi and cooked food with endless courses. They only seat 10 at a time. I know people who've been and they say it's so stellar that the price is actually worth it.

The next two are Melisse in Santa Monica--French (but there are probably much better in New York)--and Providence in Hollywood. I just went to Providence last month for the first time. It is a fabulous restaurant in every way--casually elegant, wonderful, unfussy service. We had a $100 tasting menu--5 courses, very seafood oriented. Both of these have 2 Michelin stars.

There are a lot of more casual places which are very popular with good food, some have been mentioned, but they are not high end like you'd find in New York or other European cities. Patina, mentioned in the first post, has not been good in years.

In LA the two cuisines better (or as good as) NYC are probably sushi (Sushi Zo in West LA is very high rated but is a dump in a shopping center--I prefer Kiriko on Sawtelle in West LA which is a Japanese area since before World War I amazingly--quite hip and trendy now. The other is Chinese regional cuisines in the San Gabriel Valley--east of LA and Pasadena. There are many notable restaurants out there. Check Chowhound for more info.

Animal and now maybe Picca (Peruvian-Japanese fusion small plates) are among the two hottest tickets now if that's what you're looking for. Gjelina in Venice is also very hipster trendy small plates and super crowded (and good) but hardly high end.

Again, go to Chowhound LA. Not as good as it used to be but still a great source of info from the truly food-obsessed who live here in traffic central. (Tip: Don't drive too far from your hotel--you will regret it. Nobody has traffic like this, and I've been other places including even Manhattan during rush hour).

by Anonymousreply 4104/03/2012

Correction to post 41--I made a hysterical whopper of a Freudian slip when I said in second paragraph by "international steroids"--amazing what 2 hours of sleep will get you--I did mean "standards" not steroids. I am obsessed with what I suspect is the rampant use of steroids and PEDS in tennis, but I didn't think it had gotten into the Urasawa kitchen (just the price is on steroids).

I'm new to DL--can you correct an anonymous post? I'm assuming not.

by Anonymousreply 4204/03/2012

[quote]LA is nothing but High End Restaurants.

Bitch, please. Nothing but high-end *shitty* restaurants, maybe, but L.A. has NEVER been a foodie town because a) as noted, nobody eats and b) everyone's in bed by 10:30. Yes, that's starting to change with places like Animal, but the region's food as a whole doesn't hold a candle to NYC, Chicago or even Seattle & Portland.

by Anonymousreply 4304/03/2012

R43, you may be right about the high end restaurant as I wouldn't know--it was above my pay grade growing up there. But LA is a great foodie town as R37 pointed out--for the ethnic cuisines. The variety, price and quality is what I miss. You want to talk about a shitty food city? Try DC.

San Gabriel's Chinese and Vietnamese food is amazing and the competition is fierce which helps keep prices very low. It's not just the usual Cantonese stuff either which what "Chinese food" is in America. You'll likely find all the regional cuisines of China and Taiwan.

by Anonymousreply 4404/03/2012

[quote]But LA is a great foodie town as R37 pointed out--for the ethnic cuisines. The variety, price and quality is what I miss. You want to talk about a shitty food city? Try DC.

Oh, what irony. D.C. is one of THE best cities for ethnic cuisines of all stripes because it has embassies, and thus populations from, literally almost every country on the planet. But, I guess you didn't get out of NW very often...

by Anonymousreply 4504/03/2012

R45, you have no clue. I asked that question too--why isn't the food better when you have every single country represented here? Still haven't gotten the answer after 8 years.

You honestly believe because there's an embassy in DC, therefore the cuisine of that country is well represented? Perhaps in the embassy itself by the embassy chef/staff or in home cooking by ex-pats but it means fuck all as far as restaurants go.

There's a large Vietnamese community in the DC area and there are many, many Vietnamese restaurants in the area. Guess what? The food is still pretty average. I don't know why that's the case but I just figure there's a lower standard in DC and people put up with it. Whereas a restaurant in the San Gabriel Valley charging $9 for a blah bowl of pho would be out of business in weeks. I could go on and on but I won't.

Just look at the Japanese food in the area. Think about the quality and variety of Japanese food you can get in LA or NYC compared to DC. What do you get in DC? Sushi and more sushi. Name a dedicated izakaya? Name a really good ramen place? Name a really good okonomiyaki place? You can't in DC. But hey there's a great big Japanese embassy in DC, so the Japanese food must be amazing in the city.

BTW, I currently live in Maryland and before that, Virginia. I've never lived in the NW.

by Anonymousreply 4704/03/2012

bump

by Anonymousreply 4810/11/2012

n/naka in Palms

by Anonymousreply 4910/12/2012

Pinches tacos on sunset! Yum!

by Anonymousreply 5010/12/2012

The Ivy Maestro's

by Anonymousreply 5110/12/2012

Ink.Sack

by Anonymousreply 5210/12/2012

Perino's, ne plus ultra, is the only place one wishes to dine.

by Anonymousreply 5310/12/2012

Are those taco trucks still popular?

What about the carts that sell hot dogs wrapped in bacon and cheese?

by Anonymousreply 5410/13/2012

bump

by Anonymousreply 5510/13/2012
Need more help? Click Here.