Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Jane Fonda Cast As Nancy Reagan

Controversial Academy Award-winning actress Jane Fonda is expected to portray former Republican first lady Nancy Reagan in director Lee Daniels's upcoming White House-set drama Butler, reports Variety.

Fonda, an outspoken liberal activist, will reportedly appear in a few scenes as the conservative wife of President Ronald Reagan in the film. Daniels co-adapted the screenplay with Danny Strong from a Washington Post story about Eugene Allen, the White House butler whose career started in 1952 with Harry Truman and ended 24 years later with Reagan.

Forest Whitaker is expected to play Allen. Daniels, who won wide acclaim with 2009's searing drama Precious, is also in talks to cast one of that film's producers Oprah Winfrey as Allen's wife. Liam Neeson is in negotiations to play Lyndon B. Johnson, while John Cusack is negotiating to portray Richard Nixon. Previously reported to be in consideration for roles are Mila Kunis as Jacqueline Kennedy and Hugh Jackman as either John F. Kennedy or Dwight D. Eisenhower.

by Anonymousreply 8201/04/2013

I can hardly wait for the pickets to start. Republicans will be outraged at this insult.

by Anonymousreply 103/27/2012

A cunt playing a cunt. Typecasting.

by Anonymousreply 203/27/2012

I've enjoyed Jane in certain roles (KLUTE) but she's not much for impersonation, and this feels like miscasting.

Any number of over-50 actresses could tear this role up: Annette Benning, Susan Sarandon, Joan Allen. I could even see Mia Farrow give this a shot.

by Anonymousreply 303/27/2012

OMG!

by Anonymousreply 403/27/2012

All of this sounds so fucking absurd, I'd be embarrassed for all involved.

by Anonymousreply 503/27/2012

Heads will explode. I can't wait.

by Anonymousreply 603/27/2012

Fox News freaking the fuck out about it, right now!

by Anonymousreply 703/27/2012

If Fox freaks out, it's worth while to have Fonda as Nancy.

by Anonymousreply 803/27/2012

I'm adding Elizabeth Perkins to my list, who would nail it.

And Geena Davis, who I think would bring something altogether different to the part.

by Anonymousreply 903/27/2012

This is a joke, right ?

Didn't they do this years ago on TV - a movie called "Backstairs At The White House" ?

by Anonymousreply 1003/27/2012

Perfect stunt casting.

Or cunt casting.

by Anonymousreply 1203/27/2012

Fox having a melt down right now!

by Anonymousreply 1303/27/2012

This will send Nancy to her grave--and then she'll promptly begin spinning in it.

by Anonymousreply 1403/27/2012

There's more. Four years ago the Toronto Film Festival adopted Tel Aviv as a sister city. Jane signed a petition AGAINST it!!! This created such a storm amongst her leftwing friends that she withdrew her name and apologized. Now back to cute remarks about Nancy Reagan.

by Anonymousreply 1503/27/2012

Best stunt casting ever!

It'll be great.

by Anonymousreply 1603/27/2012

I shall play myself. It's my COMEBACK, fans!

by Anonymousreply 1703/27/2012

If *I* am depicted in this film, I will insist on Julie Christie playing me.

by Anonymousreply 1803/27/2012

I love it!

by Anonymousreply 1903/27/2012

Fox is NOT happy about this!

by Anonymousreply 2003/27/2012

Speaking of, how come Mia Farrow doesn't act anymore?

by Anonymousreply 2103/27/2012

Luise Rainer for Bar!

by Anonymousreply 2203/27/2012

She isn't skinny enough.

by Anonymousreply 2303/27/2012

[quote]Hugh Jackman as either John F. Kennedy or Dwight D. Eisenhower.

Why would the same actor be considered for both roles? If Ike had looked like Jackman, he would have lived a very different life.

by Anonymousreply 2403/27/2012

The guy in Death of a Salesman with three names for Ike!

by Anonymousreply 2503/27/2012

Joan Allen definitely, and maybe Mia Farrow.

by Anonymousreply 2603/27/2012

by Anonymousreply 2703/27/2012

!

by Anonymousreply 2803/27/2012

Like Spielburg casting Ava Braun in Holocost film.

by Anonymousreply 2903/27/2012

Judy Davis would be a better choice, too.

by Anonymousreply 3003/27/2012

[quote]Like Spielburg casting Ava Braun in Holocost film.

Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 3103/27/2012

OMG Judy Davis would be frighteningly perfect!

And perfectly frightening.

by Anonymousreply 3203/27/2012

Oops, I forgot Judy already played her.

by Anonymousreply 3303/27/2012

I LOVE THIS, but the Right will have a field day, and Saint Ronnie will be saved in the end. They're call the film rubbish, biased, since they cast a "treasonous traitor".

I wish they'd gotten someone else as to really kill the "legacy" of this evil man! Fonda will overshadow the entire project. She's a great actress too. I wish she'd do other films.

by Anonymousreply 3403/27/2012

Beloved as the loud-mouthed, crotchety Detective Sipowitz on NYPD Blue, Emmy-winner Dennis Franz makes his long-awaited return to TV as First Lady Barbara Bush.

by Anonymousreply 3503/27/2012

I simply must complain, but not for the silly reasons the politicos are fuming about.

It's really more because it's like incest. I sucked off Hank Fonda several times back in the Forties, for shopping money, and it's just not right for his daughter to play me. It's just not decent.

He was very surly and mean about it, by the way. I liked that.

by Anonymousreply 3603/27/2012

Jabba the Hutt will be brought out of mothballs to play Barbara Bush. With a string of pearls.

by Anonymousreply 3703/27/2012

I'd be fine with Fonda's casting if she ever apologized for her treasonous actions during the Vietnam War. Barring that, it's unconscionable for her to essay the role of Nancy Reagan.

by Anonymousreply 3803/27/2012

Who will play Lady Bird, Pat Nixon, and Rosalynn Carter?

by Anonymousreply 3903/27/2012

[quote]Barring that, it's [bold]unconscionable[/bold] for her to essay the role of Nancy Reagan.

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 4003/27/2012

r38

[quote]I would like to say something, not just to Vietnam veterans in New England, but to men who were in Vietnam, who I hurt, or whose pain I caused to deepen because of things that I said or did. I was trying to help end the killing and the war, but there were times when I was thoughtless and careless about it and I'm very sorry that I hurt them. And I want to apologize to them and their families. [...] I will go to my grave regretting the photograph of me in an anti-aircraft gun, which looks like I was trying to shoot at American planes. It hurt so many soldiers. It galvanized such hostility. It was the most horrible thing I could possibly have done. It was just thoughtless

However, I kinda think that no apology would suffice for you.

by Anonymousreply 4103/27/2012

Get you rgoddamned head out of your ass, R38. She's apologized for years. And don't fucking nitpick. It's time for asswipes like you to get over your bullshit.

I suspect Nancy is secretly pleased. Jane looks great and is very trim.

by Anonymousreply 4203/27/2012

What R38 said.

by Anonymousreply 4303/27/2012

We eat old republican's excrement!

by Anonymousreply 4403/27/2012

r44 ate pie in The Help.

by Anonymousreply 4503/27/2012

R45=rimmed Newt Gingrich after he ate two chili dogs.

by Anonymousreply 4603/27/2012

Jane Fonda apologized when she had nothing to apologize for. Some of you people are such dumb fucking sheep.

If anything, I'd like to see Jane renounce her Christianity and apologize for being suckered into it in the first place. Especially now that her friend Jimmy Carter, who got her into Christianity, has given it up.

by Anonymousreply 4703/27/2012

RuPaul as Michelle Obama.

by Anonymousreply 4803/28/2012

R47, she is NOT a Christian. That has been a rumor for a long time. I think she acted like she converted to Christianity to piss off Ted Turner during their divorce because he hated Christians.

Aside from everything, Jane is a major bitch! I have read so many negative stuff on her being really snobby. I remember Susielee said she went to interview Jane Fonda, and Jane thought Susielee was just a nobody interviewer.Susielee never told Jane that she knew Jane's father very well,and that her father is an actor as well. She said Jane had her nose up in the air, and she was a stuck up snob. She said Jane was really difficult in the interview, and Jane said some pretty mean things to Susielee so Susielee had enough, and she decided to leave. When Susielee told Jane who she was, at that point Jane's mouth dropped. Jane said she didn't mean what she said to Susielee and Susielee said, its going in the column! tough!

I once read the autobiography by John Gilmore, "Hollywood Laid Bare" He is a fantastic author and very honest and no BS. He tried to make it as an actor ,but he bombed, but he became a good writer. He too said Jane was a horrible stuck up snob, and if you were on the low end of the acting Totem pole, she didn't want to have anything to do with you.

by Anonymousreply 4903/28/2012

BTW, what is with the ultra hate for Nancey Regan? She had a lot of gay friends who she loved ,and who she was very close to. She was much more liberal minded than Ronald.

by Anonymousreply 5003/28/2012

I don't think Jane is a great actress.

by Anonymousreply 5103/28/2012

LOL @ R48--that would be perfect.

Jane Fonda is too "big boned" to play Nancy Reagan. I agree it should be Joan Allen or Annette Bening. Someone bird-like with no tits.

by Anonymousreply 5203/28/2012

All right, mein dahlings, I vill come aus ov retirment to play zie role of Barbara!

by Anonymousreply 5303/28/2012

True she is probably too big boned, but she kinda has that same hard, stone faced demeanor as Nancy. OT but did anyone ever see the Dollmaker? I thought she was fantastic in that and have never seen it anywhere on DVD or even on cable.

by Anonymousreply 5403/28/2012

I saw it, R54, and liked it.

by Anonymousreply 5503/28/2012

R54, I can't stand Jane ,but I totally agree with you that she did an excellent job in the doll maker. That film I consider a very special movie. I used to own it on VHS and I don't own a copy anymore.

by Anonymousreply 5603/28/2012

I ate Ronnie Reagan's diapers!

by Anonymousreply 5703/28/2012

I watched [italic]the Dollmaker[/italic] because I like the way Levon Helm talks. Jane Fonda completely surprised me. I would never have guessed she could play a role like that so well.

by Anonymousreply 5803/28/2012

Did she apologize yet?

by Anonymousreply 5903/28/2012

[quote]Aside from everything, Jane is a major bitch! I have read so many negative stuff on her being really snobby.

Yes, and people have posted about their more recent encounters with Jane here as well, and they all said she was very nice, an attentive listener, and, in person, a bit motherly. She is not the same person she was when she was 20. No one is.

by Anonymousreply 6003/28/2012

I would like to apologize for Jane Fonda's apology, and say that anyone who went to Vietnam without being drafted or otherwise forced to go can go suck a dead yak's cock. Idiots. And R38, the troll, and her ilk elsewhere here can stop recreating history and relearn the shame of what that war cost this country. Fonda was a dumb cluck. The latter apologists for mindless butchery pretending our soldiers were anything but cannon fodder (heroes my ass) need to spend some quality time, as I have over the years, at Vet Centers and see how our heroes really feel about their service in that debacle.

Some things deserver a rest.

by Anonymousreply 6103/29/2012

There were photos of the two of them on some story on tv last night. They looked fairly similar. I think she'd do a great job in the role.

I wish to hell conservatives would just shut up and go away. I'm hoping if they lose in the upcoming election they will be like other nutcase groups in history and just fade away.

by Anonymousreply 6203/29/2012

Actually, John Cusack as Nixon is the really strange choice. I cannot see him in the role at all.

by Anonymousreply 6303/29/2012

R63, Nixon was surprisingly tall. With good make-up Cusack would be fine.

by Anonymousreply 6403/29/2012

When Jane was at Vassar, she used to get gang banged regularly by frat boys at Princeton and Yale. So, it's not a stretch for her to portray Nancy.

by Anonymousreply 6503/29/2012

R65, really? ware did you get that information on Jane? The more things I hear about her the more I think she is truly one crazy and mean bitch.

by Anonymousreply 6603/30/2012

Now that I remember it, fairly recently Charles Manson was interviewed and he drop some bombs about people in Hollywood. One of the things he said was at a party he went to, Jane, Yul Brenner, and Peter Sellers were looking for some guys who wanted to join Jane and the two actors in a gang bang. She really has some major screws loose. NO I'm not a Frau, NO, I'm not a Freeper.

by Anonymousreply 6703/30/2012

this is R66, Ok! Ok! I meant to say where rather than ware.

by Anonymousreply 6803/30/2012

[quote]NO I'm not a Frau, NO, I'm not a Freeper.

Really? You do a really good imitation of both.

by Anonymousreply 6903/30/2012

Awe you are so sweet, you must say that to all the DLers.

by Anonymousreply 7003/30/2012

I can't take Jane Fonda seriously anymore after seeing her hanging out with Kim Whoredashian at that Grammy party.

by Anonymousreply 7103/30/2012

More idiots like R67 get their news from mass murderers than any other completely unreliable source.

by Anonymousreply 7203/30/2012

More idiots like R72 get their news from dictators and get brainwashed than any other completely unreliable source.

by Anonymousreply 7303/30/2012

The pictures Oprah tweeted look tremendous.

Alan is Ronnie!

by Anonymousreply 7409/11/2012

It's a shame Divine isn't around to play Barbara Bush.

by Anonymousreply 7509/11/2012

You're right -- from pic @ R74, Jane has waaaay too much tit.

Joan Allen would have been better.

by Anonymousreply 7609/11/2012

Who's playing Dubya, a potted plant?

by Anonymousreply 7709/11/2012

Rickman makes a great Reagan. But can he do the voice?

by Anonymousreply 7801/04/2013

I can totally see that.

by Anonymousreply 7901/04/2013

[quote]Who's playing Dubya, a potted plant?

Why would anyone be playing Dubya in this film r77?

by Anonymousreply 8001/04/2013

R38 Actually, she has

by Anonymousreply 8101/04/2013

this movie has an amazing cast.

by Anonymousreply 8201/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.