Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Peggy Olsen/Elisabeth Moss makes me not want to watch MAD MEN

I find her nearly unwatchable. I hate, hate, HATE her appearance -- the oogly-googly eyes, the strong jaw, the frumpy style of dress are just the beginning. I think her character is such a stereotypical iteration of what a 1960s feminist is "supposed" to be -- sad since the other characters are so well-crafted. Not sure if it's the fault of the writing or the acting, but I find Peggy both ugly *and* wholly predictable. She's like a boxier Mary Tyler Moore, without the nice hair or the charisma.

by Anonymousreply 5803/13/2015

You don't find her an attractive character. No one is going to argue with you because that's your opinion and that is all there is to it.

But what I can't for the life of me figure out is why anyone would consider Peggy either predictable or, other than the fact that she is a single woman with a career, what particularly makes her a feminist?

by Anonymousreply 103/25/2012

I can't get past Moss's unintentionally comically intense Excedrin for migraines commercial. Or the fact that she's a Scieno. Automatically puts her in the unwatchable category for me.

by Anonymousreply 303/25/2012

I don't get her appeal either. I think the writers try to portray her as being more shrewd and cunning than she initially appears -- but I just don't buy it. Her awkward interactions and romantic naivete undermine that too much. And I can't stand it when she starts speaking "Brooklyneese" with her mom and sister, it just sounds so inauthentic.

And don't get me started on that Norwegian Catholic thing...

by Anonymousreply 503/25/2012

Love her!

by Anonymousreply 603/25/2012

Will some nice paid subscriber start a thread about the premiere epi tonight, at 9:00 PM on AMC?

Don't forget that I love the gays: my dyke friend at LIFE, Sal, and that German dude who cut my hair. Peggy loves the gays!

by Anonymousreply 703/25/2012

by Anonymousreply 809/24/2013

She's an active Scientologist, so she's got that weird eye thing going on, projecting "theta" - can't she just "postulate" herself a new jawline?

Oh, wait...she'll be able to do that when Kirstie Alley can "postulate" away her spare tire collection.

by Anonymousreply 909/24/2013

Elisabeth has been getting chunky herself.

by Anonymousreply 1009/24/2013

LOVE LOVE LOVE Mad Men, I can not for the life of me understand Weiner casting this clam, at all.

There are so many good actresses out there, even taking a British actress would have been great for the part.

From the other MM threads and some insiders it was said that Joan was not supposed to have a huge role on MM (why not? She's gorgeous, interesting, talented, NOT A CLAM), and, it's rather obvious that EM was meant to have a huge role on the series, sadly.

She will not be remembered and she screws up all the good will that I have for MM.

by Anonymousreply 1109/24/2013

EM is a good actress, and does well in the part.

by Anonymousreply 1209/24/2013

[quote]Elisabeth has been getting chunky herself.

Saw her in Manhattan at Starbucks on Broadway and Bond. She is totally normal looking, which is why you perceive her as chunky. Very nice body, actually.

by Anonymousreply 1309/24/2013

by Anonymousreply 1509/24/2013

I like her and cut her some slack since she was born into Scientology. She's still young, maybe she'll break away from it in time. I think she has a look that works for parts like Peggy or the cop in Top of the Lake. Not everyone should be a glamour gal.

by Anonymousreply 1609/24/2013

Why do you "cut her some slack"? She's already been talking up the clams endlessly, how great they are.

by Anonymousreply 1709/24/2013

No, she hasn't, not really, r17.

by Anonymousreply 1809/24/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1909/24/2013

your positivity r19 is not welcome

by Anonymousreply 2009/24/2013

R19 is right. But Moss was much more attractive in the West Wing.

by Anonymousreply 2109/24/2013

I think she is fantastic. I try to forget she's a clam. She doesn't seem all weird about it like Jenna Ellfman or Kirstie Alley. Has she even spoken about it much? It's not like she's Kelly Preston, going around screaming "Scientology Rocks!"

by Anonymousreply 2209/24/2013

Her character is like that because shes meant to be uncool. Shes actually wearing stuff that would have been fashionable in the 40s. Geez watch with Matt Weiner's commentary and you would know.

by Anonymousreply 2309/25/2013

R11 Joan was not meant to have a huge role because initally Weiner was going to cast an Eve Arden type for that part. It became more when he realized how explosive Hendricks is.

by Anonymousreply 2409/25/2013

I didn't like her at all when I watched the first season. She didn't really grow on me until she became Don Draper's rival. She started to show some chops then, as well as a sharp sense of humor. I was with you OP for a long while. But I think she's more talented than you give her credit for.

by Anonymousreply 2509/25/2013

r18 is full of shit. She has been talking up the clams, and how great they are. Just google EM's name and Scientology and you'll see the interviewSSSSS she's done about it.

You sound like a clam apologist so GTFO of here, we are ANTI-CLAM.

by Anonymousreply 2609/25/2013

We do we call Scientologists clams?

by Anonymousreply 2709/25/2013

R25 - She never was Draper's rival. At best she was Draper's rival's chief lieutenant.

by Anonymousreply 2809/25/2013

Simple solution: don't watch.

by Anonymousreply 2909/25/2013

To All EM haters:

Shoot your televisions!

by Anonymousreply 3009/25/2013

Don Draper is nothing but a tragic has-been. I watch the show only for Betty, Peggy, Joan, and Betty's girl munchkin. The demise of Don Draper is just a bonus.

by Anonymousreply 3109/25/2013

I have always wondered how Peggy would be with a different actress. Moss just plays her so oddly, I want to root for her but she is so annoying. But I do give them credit for not hiring a run of the mill standard beauty.

by Anonymousreply 3209/25/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 3309/25/2013

I saw Moss on stage in London with Keira Knightly in 'The Children's Hour' and she was terrific. It made me appreciate her work on Mad Men all the more.

by Anonymousreply 3409/25/2013

Praising Scientology on June 9, 2013 on ABC, sounding barely coherent. From the ABC transcript: [quote]"You have these people in. Glad -- -- have a rich somewhere at that Scientology's -- stability is more. It has wow what -- What is when I talk to people that have that faith warrant they only say yeah I can -- better me yet because I think that's. That's and that's a good way of saying it because there's so much focus on man I guess empowerment in and respecting yourself and and yourself as an individual. That that's a good way of putting it is like a better version have better you know not necessarily changing you -- But I'm also big believer -- -- -- now taking. What works for you know."

by Anonymousreply 3509/25/2013

I've liked her progression on the show, but lately she's started to annoy me. I don't know what it is. Maybe we've seen the character grow so much, there's nothing left to explore.

by Anonymousreply 3609/25/2013

Scientology is intensely homophobic, and she lies to the media about it! The Advocate, March 23, 2012: [quote]One of the most important things I take from my church is the idea of personal freedom and our rights as human beings, and that includes the right to date a man or a woman. Personal freedom is a very important concept in my religion, and I translate that to sexual orientation. If we’re all supposed to have the right to the life that we want to lead, then that should apply to the gay community. [b]There isn’t really any dogma or scripture, yes or no, right or wrong on that particular subject in my church.[/b] It’s more open to personal interpretation, and that’s my interpretation.

(If she weren't famous she'd get hauled into "ethics" for that "open to personal interpretation" bit.)

They can try to reframe all they want, but Hubbard was quite clear throughout his dogma that homosexuality is "sick" and "perverted": [quote]The sexual pervert (and by this term Dianetics, to be brief, includes any and all forms of deviation in Dynamic II [i.e. sexuality] such as homosexuality, lesbianism, sexual sadism, etc., and all down the catalog of Ellis and Krafft-Ebing) is actually quite ill physically... he is very far from culpable for his condition, but he is also far from normal and extremely dangerous to society...

Anyone making supportive statements in the media has willingly put themselves on the shitpile. She may have been born in, but she's an adult now, makes her own decisions and should be held accountable for her own statements (and her ignorance.)

The cult lies to gay people now because they want the MONEY, just as they do everyone else hooked on the Scientology long con. Even their "token gay guy was disgusted."

by Anonymousreply 3709/25/2013

There's a young basketball player for Wichita State who looks exactly like EM. Ron Something-or-Other.

When I saw him in the NCAA tourney last spring I was taken aback by the resemblance. Same crazy eyes. Great player, but I never could shake the "Elisabeth Moss in b-ball drag" vibe. Putting an elbow in somebody's gut.

by Anonymousreply 3809/25/2013

EM was a child actor on Picket Fences.

by Anonymousreply 3909/25/2013

I agree with R22 -- I think Elisabeth Moss is fantastic as Peggy on Mad Men. The writing for that character is really sharp. And her evolution as the show has progressed is really interesting to watch.

She also has this kind of face that can actually transform itself from a kind of plain, even almost ugly, woman to someone more attractive sometimes within the same scene. (She always looks gorgeous on the red carpet).

I choose to just pretend I don't know about the Scientology stuff. I liked her before I found it out about it and it doesn't turn me off now. She seems really low-key about it.

She's also quite good in Girl, Interrupted. She really uses her supposed "ugliness" to full effect there.

And that Excedrin commercial is a classic.

by Anonymousreply 4009/27/2013

I do love her acting, but her commentaries on MM aren't that great. She comes off as very stilted.

by Anonymousreply 4109/27/2013

Just catching up with season 6 on Mad Men. Only a few episodes in and Elisabeth always looks so smug even when the character doesn't have a reason to be. I can only imagine the directors have told her that as Peggy is now free and a bit more in charge at a new firm that she should change her demeanor somewhat. She never had that permanent smug look. Or maybe she did and I just didn't notice. It's definitely putting me off watching her scenes.

by Anonymousreply 4210/01/2013

She looks a lot better when shes not made up as peggy. So much so, id let her peg me.. right in my tingly mussy.

by Anonymousreply 4310/01/2013

She was adorable on Andy Cohen's show a couple of weeks ago. I'm sure she loves being a clam, but I still don't think of her as being as weird as some of the other celebrity clams.

(I had given up AC but will watch sometimes if there is someone interesting and not another "Bravo-lebrity")

by Anonymousreply 4410/01/2013

I loathe the Peggy Olsen character. She is completely useless for anything but whining.

by Anonymousreply 4510/01/2013

r40 - r37 & r39 have refuted your constant claim in this thread that EM is "low key" about Scientology. She's not.

by Anonymousreply 4610/01/2013

She is utterly disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 4702/09/2014

I have not watched MAD MEN. I may some day.

I only saw Moss in Campion's splendid TOP OF THE LAKE, and I found her quite beautiful looking at times. She showed toughness and vulnerability, a duality that's hard to do for any actor, but she nailed it.

That statement quoted at R35 is mind-blowingly incoherent, however.

by Anonymousreply 4802/09/2014

I just started watching and I totally did not understand her character and purpose until now. I suppose I can tolerate her for now but honestly I can't stand her dowdiness. All the other characters are brilliantly portrayed but I cringe at her... As for her looks, 60s isn't her thing at all or maybe it's just 21st century air brush that makes her look better?

by Anonymousreply 4902/23/2014

And on top of EVERYTHING is is a crazy scientologist

by Anonymousreply 5003/14/2014

by Anonymousreply 5106/12/2014

She's no raving beauty, for sure. I think she's a good actress; Peggy is a fascinating (after a while) character; what I can't stand is her hideous voice! Easily one of the worse voices of an actress working. Do agree that she's more tolerable in "real life", like at award shows or on talk shows.

by Anonymousreply 5206/12/2014

She was fantastic in Top of the Lake. Jane Campion really used her "jolie-laide" quality well.

by Anonymousreply 5306/12/2014

I totally agree with everything you've said, can't stand her, she's awful and as an actress, can't stomach her,

by Anonymousreply 5403/13/2015

Have always enjoyed her, and love Peggy as a character.

by Anonymousreply 5503/13/2015

She doesn't even know how to laugh, or interact with people, awful actress, sorry but ugly nose, not at all a pretty girl,nah you is she on this show?

by Anonymousreply 5603/13/2015

Can one of the insiders please tell us what possessed Matt Weiner to cast Elizabeth Moss Clam into Mad Men? She RUINS the fucking show.

by Anonymousreply 5703/13/2015

I thought she was pretty dull in Speed-the-Plow on Broadway--Raul was great and Jeremy hadn't subsumed to bad sushi, so she was a dead spot whenever she had to try to speak from stage. I've never been a fan of The Heidi Chronicles anyway--with her in it, it would be like sitting through Warhol's Empire State Building movie.

by Anonymousreply 5803/13/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!