Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Jon Hamm: 'I'd be a terrible father!'

Jon Hamm has plenty of friends with kids -- and he's not interested in having any of his own, thank you very much.

by Anonymousreply 10904/02/2012

He hasnt shut his mouth since he stopped drinking

by Anonymousreply 203/25/2012

I don't think he's acting….I think he IS the douchey guy from Bridesmaids and the I don't give a shit Don Draper.

I'd still let him stick it ALL in, though.

by Anonymousreply 303/25/2012

Wow. Someone admitted that they'd actually be a bad parent instead of bowing to that breeder pressure.

by Anonymousreply 403/25/2012

He seems smart enough to have had a vasectomy, too.

by Anonymousreply 503/25/2012

Whenever I look at him, I get the gay vibe. He looks like he'd be a great top.

by Anonymousreply 603/25/2012

He had a parent die young. At least he knows it's effected him.

by Anonymousreply 703/25/2012

He's a douche and he knows it. When people say things like this up front about themselves, you should listen. Thank goodness his 15 minutes are almost up.

by Anonymousreply 803/25/2012

"At least he knows it's effected him."

AFFECTED, for fuck's sake!

by Anonymousreply 903/25/2012

It's refreshing to hear someone make a statement like that. So many people aren't qualified to be parents, and yet they keep spawning kids. Enough.

Thank you, Jon.

by Anonymousreply 1003/25/2012

R8, saying he doesn't want to be a parent that makes him a douche? I think it makes him refreshingly self aware.

by Anonymousreply 1103/25/2012

Yes, there's such depth there. Noam Chomsky and Buckmeister Fuller have nothing on the amazing intellect and astute observations of Jon Hamm.

Thank you, Jon. We as the universe are greatful for your mind blowing statements.

by Anonymousreply 1203/25/2012

R7, losing a parent young has nothing to do with his not wanting to have children.

Plenty of people have no desire for having a child and doesn't stem from losing a parent young.

by Anonymousreply 1303/25/2012

He can blow blanks in me any day hot hot hot

by Anonymousreply 1403/25/2012

Jon Hamm is not a douche. He's a kid at heart who likes to joke around a lot.

by Anonymousreply 1503/25/2012

Jon's my kinda guy. After bugging my gyno for approx 5 years he finally agreed to tie my tubes when i was 31. Best decision i ever made. Some of us know we'd be lousy parents. Give us a damn medal!

by Anonymousreply 1803/25/2012

"are greatful"

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 1903/25/2012

I heard from a friend that he has tinymeat.

by Anonymousreply 2003/25/2012

R12: Buckmeister Fuller? Heal thyself, moron.

by Anonymousreply 2103/25/2012

Jon Hamm agreed to tie your tubes, r18? Wow, is he ever a multitalented man!

by Anonymousreply 2203/25/2012

His honesty is refreshing.

by Anonymousreply 2303/25/2012

His wife has had so many fillers and botox applications, she is two procedures away from looking like Jocelyn Wildenstein.

by Anonymousreply 2403/25/2012

"losing a parent young has nothing to do with his not wanting to have children"

I think it can. You can become more aware of the struggles of a lone parent, and how big the responsibility of being a responsible parent is.

by Anonymousreply 2503/25/2012

Are you serious? Jon Hamm is gayer than my Uncle Theodore in high heels.

by Anonymousreply 2603/25/2012

RE: He can blow blanks in me any day hot hot hot

Love IT !!!

by Anonymousreply 2703/25/2012

Jon Hamm's just found a way to beard in such a way that he can live with himself. His whole, "I'm not getting married until gays can" schtick, is brilliant, actually.

He's so supportive of gay rights, no one questions his sexuality because if he were really gay, he would never be so out about supporting gay rights.

More gay actors should take a page from his book, instead of the Tom Cruise/Travolta archaic method of getting married and bringing children into this world to pump up the breeder image.

by Anonymousreply 2803/25/2012

It takes someone very self aware to say that and I applaud him.

by Anonymousreply 2903/25/2012

[quote]Noam Chomsky and Buckmeister Fuller have nothing on the amazing intellect and astute observations of Jon Hamm.

It's Buckminster Fuller you amazing intellect!

by Anonymousreply 3003/25/2012

There are way too many people breeding that have [bold]no[/bold] business raising kids. Being a good parent takes someone that has the capacity to be selfless and love unconditionally.

Self involved messes carrying around a ton of issues do not (or at least rarely - some people do have the ability to rise above) bring up healthy children.

He knows he doesn't have what it takes and chooses not to inflict that on a child to feed his own ego or some societal requirement.

I think that is wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 3103/25/2012

We that obviously big cock that's always bulging through his pants, I'd bet he dishes out a mean fuck...

by Anonymousreply 3203/25/2012

Does anyone seriously believe that Jon Hamm is gay?

Or that Jennifer W would be his beard?

by Anonymousreply 3303/25/2012

I have seen him in person at a party. He is a very handsome man, but not beautiful. You understand the difference?

by Anonymousreply 3403/25/2012

I think he's a gay man and a very smart man.

by Anonymousreply 3503/25/2012

He really does seem to have a great sense of humor. He's great on SNL.

by Anonymousreply 3603/25/2012

r34 - Could you tell if he's wearing a hair piece?

by Anonymousreply 3703/26/2012

I've heard he's losing his hair, but have not seen evidence of that based on his appearances.

by Anonymousreply 3803/26/2012

I don't know, R33. I thought R28 was onto something, but I don't know shit about Jon Hamm. The supporting gay rights/hiding in plain sight thing reminds me of James Franco. He's not Hamm but he's not straight, either.

by Anonymousreply 3903/26/2012

Remember the guy who sucked Fergie's toes?

by Anonymousreply 4003/26/2012

His girlfriend always seems very strange to me.

by Anonymousreply 4103/26/2012

Look R8, if they say I'm a douche, then I'm a douche dammit!!!! Don't argue and stop acting like you know me!

by Anonymousreply 4203/26/2012

He is smart and he is a liberal and, like George Clooney, doesn't mind making that fact known. He speaks up. I love him.

by Anonymousreply 4303/26/2012

Funny you should say that, Miss r20 - our husband thinks the same thing based on Jon's gorgeousness.

Also, Jon is 100% homosexual and in our opinion 'tres queeny' as well!

by Anonymousreply 4403/26/2012

His kids are going to feel horrible when they grow up and read his comments.

by Anonymousreply 4503/26/2012

R21 is too stupid to know what parody means.

The spelling of grateful should have tipped you off, Miss MENSA grad.

by Anonymousreply 4603/26/2012

I never doubted his heterosexuality, but I too am starting to have second thoughts.

by Anonymousreply 4703/26/2012

[quote]He's a douche and he knows it. When people say things like this up front about themselves, you should listen

The real douches are the ones who unthinkingly breed, and the ones who feel the world would not be complete without their own spawn running around, and the ones always spouting off about motherhood/fatherhood being greatest gift to the world (to themselves only, to their children, maybe, and the rest of us don't give a goddamn.)

by Anonymousreply 4803/26/2012

The ignorance in condemning and judging this man for A. not wanting children and B. knowing why he doesn't want them is sad and ignorant in the extreme.

It is also ironic since this is a gay message board and the idea of tolerating different choices in life style shouldn't be such a foreign concept.

Having said all that I would like to add my support to what has already been said here:

More often than not having children is the most selfish thing a person can do. Having children to fill a hole in your life or to give you something you weren't able to get on your own steam is the very definition of narcissim and selfishness.

by Anonymousreply 4903/26/2012

[quote] ….I think he IS the douchey guy from Bridesmaids

I think he looked at Alec Baldwin and said, "That could be my career in twenty years if my looks leave me," and decided to prep for a career as a comic leading man rather than a "real" leading man.

That's why he hangs out with the SNL/30 Rock crowd when he's not doing "Mad Men."

I think it's a good idea to plan ahead like that.

by Anonymousreply 5003/26/2012

He needs more muscle tone. He has a nice face but a wimpy body. With broader sholders and beefier biceps, he'd be a 10.

by Anonymousreply 5103/26/2012

Thanks datalounge for disabusing me of the notion that gay people are smarter than straight people.

Respectfully,

Sue Nami President and CEO Don't Breed or Buy while Homeless Children Die.

by Anonymousreply 5203/26/2012

Jon Hamm actually has a natural body R51 which is what "Mad Men" wants him to have.

I think it is nice that he is considered a hunk even though he isn't a gym rat like most modern actors.

by Anonymousreply 5303/26/2012

I think if Jon Hamm actually were gay, he'd have a much more beefed-up, defined body that would be anachronistic for his character, as R53 pointed out.

It would be like the recent revival of HAIR, where most of the hippies had sixpack abs, ripped muscles, and plucked, waxed, and shaved pubes in the famous nude scene.

by Anonymousreply 5403/26/2012

You muscle boys make me sick.

Muscles were NOT in style in the 60s.

by Anonymousreply 5503/26/2012

"It would be like the recent revival of HAIR, where most of the hippies had sixpack abs, ripped muscles, and plucked, waxed, and shaved pubes in the famous nude scene."

ugh, is that true?

by Anonymousreply 5603/26/2012

If he'll be an awful daddy….then he better shoot that baby batter right in my mouth so I can swallow him down!

by Anonymousreply 5803/26/2012

Ridiculous. I wouldn't have cast them.

by Anonymousreply 5903/26/2012

Someone please get R49 a dictionary and tell Alanis what IRONIC and SELFISH really mean.

And you thought you were being impressive with that drivel? Oh, dear. Gotta love when the kids pretend to be adults!

by Anonymousreply 6003/26/2012

R24, he isn't married. He has gone on and on and on about how he doesn't want to get married. He has been with his girlfriend about 15 yrs.

Watch him in the next few years, dump her, meet someone new, get married and have kids. That happens a lot

by Anonymousreply 6103/26/2012

Stick to your guns Jon and Jennifer. I don't want to read a story someday that you've decided to spawn.

by Anonymousreply 6203/26/2012

r49 - First, what makes you think that it's gay people making the judgmental comments about him not having kids?

Second, I suppose you think you're really tolerant by referring to being gay as a "lifestyle choice?"

by Anonymousreply 6303/26/2012

Back in the 60s, no one pumped iron unless you were a professional athlete, and even then, nowhere near to the extent that they do today. Hell, in the 1930s, even the athletes didn't pump iron. Take a look at Babe Ruth and his diet of hotdogs and beer.

Today, it's all about image. We've become so superficial. Lots of shiny red apples full blood-sucking worms.

by Anonymousreply 6403/27/2012

R63, I think the point r49 is attempting to make is that since Datalounge is a gay website populated by mostly gay posters, we might be expected to be less judgmental about people who choose to live outside the norm.

In the case of Jon Hamm, the expectation of coupled or even single heterosexuals is that procreation is essential to the meaning of life and if one chooses to life a childless life they are morally suspect.

I don't see anywhere in 49's post any indication of any of the accusations you suggest.

r60, I doubt that proper usage of ironic and ignorant would penetrate your think defensiveness around this issue.

Whatever r49's flaws as a writer, he/she certainly touched the last raw nerve possesed by r60 and r63.

Hysterical responses like 460's and r63's do nothing to obfuscate the clarity of r49's observation that many people have children in order to get something from life rathter than give something to life and certainly having children in no way innoculates you against narcissim and self absorption.

So if a nerve was touched, so be it.

If r60 and r63 are selfless parents yourself just procreating to make the world a better place then lets see some of that magnificent genetic material at play in the quality of your responses.

by Anonymousreply 6503/27/2012

The statement below by R65 is not valid:

"the expectation of coupled or even single heterosexuals is that procreation is essential to the meaning of life"

There are plenty of heterosexual singles and couples who are NOT interested in procreating.

And plenty of hetero singles and couples who certainly do NOT believe that their personal procreation is essential to the meaning of life.

And postscript - there are plenty of hetero posters and readers on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 6603/27/2012

When I saw him on a talk show, he really pinged...I can't help it.

by Anonymousreply 6703/27/2012

R31, thank you for speaking the truth and doing so eloquently!

by Anonymousreply 6903/27/2012

r66, I think if you ask heterosexual people who are coupled [either married or not] without children how many people ask them when they are going to have children or why they don't you will probably hear "all the time"

I know a straight couple, very attractive in their early 30s without kids and people are always asking them why they don't have kids.

I bet most het couples without children are constantly being asked this question.

Conversely, it is probably very uncommon for people with childrent to field the question "why DID you have children" despite how often those around them may think it.

I think you completely missed the point in r65's point regarding the expectation that society still has regarding couples and procreation.

And your use of the word invalid is apppauling.

by Anonymousreply 7003/28/2012

Believe it or not there are hetero woman who are not enchanted with the idea of having kids. And some women just have kids because of the pressure from society, "HAVE KIDS!"

by Anonymousreply 7103/28/2012

[quote]I know a straight couple, very attractive in their early 30s without kids and people are always asking them why they don't have kids.

That is such a rude and inappropriate question. I was raised that you never ask a childless couple why they don't have kids or when are they going to have kids because it was very impolite. My mother used to say "you don't know their situation."

by Anonymousreply 7203/28/2012

I wonder if he's ever presented his hole....

Ladies?

by Anonymousreply 7303/28/2012

Thee's no justice in the world when Santorum, the Duggars and Romney have a truckload of offspring, but a Jon Hamm has none.

by Anonymousreply 7403/28/2012

We have been trying to become pregnant for decades but as soon after conceptia we sit on the poopoo we suffer a mis-carriage!

by Anonymousreply 7503/28/2012

I knew an intelligent and educated young couple, they both got fixed, so that they wouldn't have children.

by Anonymousreply 7603/28/2012

He is so full of himself and he's just an actor!

by Anonymousreply 7703/28/2012

Translation: I'm too selfish to have kids.

by Anonymousreply 7803/28/2012

Thank you, R78.

by Anonymousreply 7903/28/2012

Oh please. When his career is lagging in 4 years, he'll adopt some employee from a Chinese restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 8003/28/2012

You are welcome, R79. I love translating celebrity statements.

by Anonymousreply 8103/28/2012

That what he says NOW because his gf is too old to have children. However, when he starts going into FILMS as he should, right now he's holding himself back, again, I think he knows that when he becomes a bigger star it will be the end of him and his gf, anyways (sorry for the run ons, lots of thoughts here), he will find another female, younger, and will have kids with her.

by Anonymousreply 8203/28/2012

"Thank goodness his 15 minutes are almost up."

Typed by someone who's never had one.

"And your use of the word invalid is apppauling."

Oh my fucking god.

by Anonymousreply 8303/28/2012

Too bad he's not passing on those big dick genes for future generations.

by Anonymousreply 8403/31/2012

"However, when he starts going into FILMS as he should, right now he's holding himself back, again, I think he knows that when he becomes a bigger star it will be the end of him and his gf, anyways (sorry for the run ons, lots of thoughts here), he will find another female, younger, and will have kids with her."

Who knows if he can make a transition into films, he may not translate.

Old men should stop fathering children; the father's advanced age is directly related to an increased rate of autism and other diseases in children.

by Anonymousreply 8503/31/2012

1 in 88, children born with autism. I think it has something to do with old sperm.

by Anonymousreply 8603/31/2012

I really like him and I like him better, everytime I see him.

by Anonymousreply 8703/31/2012

His girlfriend isn't too old to have children; it wouldn't be the easiest thing in the word, but it's def possible. They've been together a long time - if they really wanted kids, they would have made it happen by now. I take them at their word that they're not interested.

by Anonymousreply 8803/31/2012

[quote]"However, when he starts going into FILMS as he should, right now he's holding himself back, again, I think he knows that when he becomes a bigger star it will be the end of him and his gf, anyways (sorry for the run ons, lots of thoughts here), he will find another female, younger, and will have kids with her."

He will not become a bigger star in his forties. Much like Tony Soprano, people are fascinated by the Don Draper character. People will always want to see him in a suit.

by Anonymousreply 8903/31/2012

But I think Jon Hamm works on movies all the time, he just isn't the lead. I hope he finds something interesting soon. He seems to like comedy.

by Anonymousreply 9003/31/2012

[quote]Old men should stop fathering children; the father's advanced age is directly related to an increased rate of autism and other diseases in children.[/quote]

Is there actual evidence to support this? Because the people I know with autistic children are young couples, not old.

by Anonymousreply 9104/01/2012

All these people chattering on about autism really need to read my book!

by Anonymousreply 9204/01/2012

So hot. Watch the whole thing, Jon is featured in the beginning and the end. Imagine him whispering into your ear. MMMMMMMMM...

by Anonymousreply 9304/01/2012

We have no idea what that bulge is in Jon's pants, Miss r32, but it sure does NOT look like a pinga.

by Anonymousreply 9404/01/2012

[quote]More often than not having children is the most selfish thing a person can do. Having children to fill a hole in your life or to give you something you weren't able to get on your own steam is the very definition of narcissism and selfishness.

Exactly. The smartest parents I know only have one child, or choose to adopt. Childfree By Choice is a growing movement.

by Anonymousreply 9504/01/2012

[quote]Is there actual evidence to support this? Because the people I know with autistic children are young couples, not old.

There has been research in recent years linking fathers' older ages to defects and diseases, including autism. Studies show that sperm quality begins to decline after age 35. I know there are a lot of guys who want to believe that they're in their prime in their late 30s, 40s and beyond, but biologically speaking, that's simply not true.

by Anonymousreply 9604/01/2012

[quote]They've been together a long time - if they really wanted kids, they would have made it happen by now. I take them at their word that they're not interested.

Yeah, I know women like her... waiting waiting, then they wake up one morning and they've wasted their youth waiting for some guy to come around.

He's not stupid, so why would he buy the cow when he's getting the milk for free?

She has only a tiny amount of time left to have a child, and the risks are very high after 40. She's not getting one from him for sure.

by Anonymousreply 9704/01/2012

"So if a nerve was touched, so be it."

LOL. My dear, the hostility from some people in this thread.

Sweetie, we just can't go around making up our own definitions for words. If you're going to try and present a somewhat intelligent argument, then you should at the very least be familiar with the definitions of the words you're trying to use. Okay?

Let's take a gander at SELFISH, hmm?

adjective

1. devoted to or caring only for oneself; concerned primarily with one's own interests, benefits, welfare, etc., regardless of others.

2. characterized by or manifesting concern or care only for oneself: selfish motives.

One could easily make the case that Hamm's decision is selfish. I'D be a terrible father. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't he have a significant other?

A more appropriate and non-selfish response would be to say "Both my wife and I have come to the conclusion that we would not be good parents". Less ego-centric and shows the public that you are not only concerned with yourself, but with those around you.

But if your content in your decisions, I really don't understand the need to broadcast your reasons why you came to them to the world. I highly doubt the public was so concerned about this, a simple "That's a private matter, let's move on." would have sufficed.

As for IRONIC, we'll tackle that some other time, mmmkay?

Frankly your post and the MENSA grad at R49 reek of utter desperation, with a tinge of anger. Please don't come at someone simply because they're smarter than you. It's nowhere near impressive. And the attempts to shame gays and lesbians over this reek of desperation.

Class is over for today.

by Anonymousreply 9804/01/2012

r98, please calm down. Whatever your actual intellectual gifts are, your argument here, both in content and style is representative of the garden variety hysteric.

Please try to understand that Jon Hamm does not control the way soundbites travel across cyber space.

He certainly doesn't owe you a full accounting of his reasons or his significant other's agreement or lack of agreement with his decision.

Surely even in your highly agitated state you can understand the simple concept the people can have or not have children for selfish reasons.

Having children does not make you selfless and not having children does not make you selfish.

And btw, I think you have given a sufficient demonstration of irony in action, so no need to burden yourself with another trip to the dictionary.

by Anonymousreply 9904/01/2012

I would love to see Jon Hamm and Elias Koteas compare their virile middle-aged bulges!

by Anonymousreply 10004/01/2012

To the person who said that the couples they know with autistic children are young...just wondering, did they have their children the old fashioned way?

by Anonymousreply 10104/01/2012

Westfeldt's close with a lot of the theatre lezzies, they love her. Always assumed she was at least bi to get such effusive praise. I'd be so unsurprised if she were bearding for him.

by Anonymousreply 10204/01/2012

[quote]I would love to see Jon Hamm and Elias Koteas compare their virile middle-aged bulges!

Oh, look who it is.

by Anonymousreply 10304/01/2012

"Please try to understand that Jon Hamm does not control the way soundbites travel across cyber space."

Well a "no comment" or "I'm not going to discuss it" would not have produced any soundbites. Just saying.

"He certainly doesn't owe you a full accounting of his reasons or his significant other's agreement or lack of agreement with his decision."

Uh, okay, that's what I had already stated in my previous post. Your point?

"Having children does not make you selfless and not having children does not make you selfish."

I agree with you. And vice-versa. Again, what's your point? I'm merely pointing out the way some people on this thread are choosing to define the word SELFISH and using it for their own agenda.

"And btw, I think you have given a sufficient demonstration of irony in action, so no need to burden yourself with another trip to the dictionary."

LOL okay. Can't be sufficient enough if you have trouble explaining how. If this is supposed to be an insult, it's incredibly weak.

You're really making no sense at all. You seem to be criticizing my post and calling me "hysterical", yet you agree with me on half the points. The rest is just rambling verbiage with no depth. It's all over the place.

by Anonymousreply 10404/01/2012

The people who would be, or who are terrible fathers would never say: "I'd be a terrible father."

by Anonymousreply 10504/01/2012

um, r104 are you somebody's parent?

by Anonymousreply 10604/01/2012

[R91]: the research on this is still in its infant stage. I'm sure the more research is done, the more apparent and manifold risks will be uncovered in connection with old/er men fathering children.

by Anonymousreply 10704/01/2012

"People will always want to see him in a suit."

Or just a pair of OTC socks and a skimpy, tight pair of black bikini briefs.

by Anonymousreply 10804/01/2012

So the girlfriend is basically saying she always wanted kids, thinks she is probably going to regret having none, but is living in denial of all that because she figured it's not worth leaving her hot jerk over. I see this ending well!

by Anonymousreply 10904/02/2012
Need more help? Click Here.