Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Massage Envy...beware

A few years ago I went in and was talked into their little deal where they automatically withdraw $40 for a massage once a month. Normally it's $60.00. I was usually busy so I didn't take advantage of it and turns out I lost the card that I'd given them the number for and had a new one issued. By this time I'd forgotten all about them. Several years later I get a collections notice for about $1600.00. I guess they continued to try and use that debit card every month.

I am ignoring them. Once they realized that the card was no good anymore they should have stopped trying to run it.

by Anonymousreply 2902/07/2013

OK by me.

by Anonymousreply 103/24/2012

I can't speak to MAssage Envy but when I worked at a spa, we finally stopped accepting any kind of national spa gift card - they've been around for years and so has the hassle.

There were too many scenes at the front desk involving this or that problem. One that policy was in place, no more problems.

by Anonymousreply 203/24/2012

There are a lot of complaints about this Massage Envy place. Do some research.

by Anonymousreply 303/24/2012

I'm just warning R4. Don't get so pissy.

by Anonymousreply 503/24/2012

Their massages are not all that great. Shop around.

by Anonymousreply 603/24/2012

R4, I love you. Every day someone walks into my branch and demands to know why we didn't honor a check for X dollars.

Because you were overdrawn.

Why didn't you call me?

Because we would do nothing all day but call people who overdrafted.

But that's your job. How am I supposed to know?

That pesky little booklet that comes with your checks? You write things down in it when you put money in and take it out.

Alright-- First you need to give us $350 to cover your overdraft.

Seriously, no one thinks they are responsible for the money they spend or the financial commitments they make. It's always someone else's fault. Someone is trying to "rip them off." God I hate that phrase.

by Anonymousreply 703/24/2012

R7 and R4 ARE 100% SPOT-ON.

OP and R5: Grow up now and assume responsibility. Believe me it only gets worse from here.

by Anonymousreply 803/24/2012

I've had some pretty good massages at Massage Envy.

by Anonymousreply 903/24/2012

What R4 and R7 said. Also, OP, I would not ignore a collections agency. They will pursue you to the ends of the earth until you pay that debt. Deal with them now, or deal with them later.

Maybe you can learn a little responsibility from all this.

by Anonymousreply 1003/24/2012

by Anonymousreply 1103/24/2012

It's a failing franchise. My Co. does work for a printing company that does all of their advertising. It's gone from huge volumes, to a trickle. Expect them to be gone by years end.

by Anonymousreply 1203/24/2012

I agree that their massages suck.

by Anonymousreply 1303/24/2012

A whole lotta dumb @ r11's link.

The "oh, dear" troll would have a field day.

by Anonymousreply 1403/24/2012

R12, try to collect any past dues before the impending BK. You are likely well behind other creditors.

by Anonymousreply 1503/24/2012

You might not want to ignore it. Depending on what you signed they might have every right to continue to charge you monthly if you didn't do what the contract said - Maybe send a written cancellation notice or something of the sort. If they send it to a collection agency, it will likely show up on your credit report.

by Anonymousreply 1603/24/2012

Really op? You signed up for automatic drafts and then act surprised when the automaticly draft your card? You are an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 1703/24/2012

How can they auto draft when the card is no longer valid? Makes no sense to me.

by Anonymousreply 1803/24/2012

r18/OP: They can't. THAT'S why they've turned it over to a collection agency. Card or not, you still have an obligation YOU agreed to, right or wrong.

by Anonymousreply 1903/24/2012

[quote] How can they auto draft when the card is no longer valid?

It sounds like OP signed a fixed term contract (perhaps for 3 years), which had to be honoured regardless of the payment method. And possibly OP changed address and didn't notify them.

by Anonymousreply 2003/24/2012

You agreed to pay them on a monthly basis. Just because you STOP paying them (because you lost your card or whatever reason) doesn't mean you don't owe them anymore.

WTF, OP, that doesn't even make logical sense.

by Anonymousreply 2103/24/2012

Don't pay it OP. You are keeping this company afloat. Every month they can record this $1600 as an asset, just like the banks do with abandoned homes not officially foreclosed. I would demand a free massage.

by Anonymousreply 2203/24/2012

I live near a Message Envy and I sometimes think about going in for a massage. Definitely won't if they're crooks.

by Anonymousreply 2303/24/2012

How are they crooks? If you sign up for a membership, you owe them for that membership. I don't even understand how this could be debatable.

If I cancel the card that my phone carrier uses to draft my payments, I don't magically not owe them anymore money for the remainder of my contract.

Anyway, I've done the massage envy thing. I've had amazing massages, and then just ok massages. Never a negative experience.

by Anonymousreply 2403/24/2012

Do they give a happy ending? With a name like massage envy, they clearly want you to think penis.

by Anonymousreply 2503/24/2012

OP you sound naive. I suggest purchasing and highlighting the book "Best Credit" with the gray cover. You'll need it and, if motivated, come out smooth with a perfect credit score, but it requires strict responsibility.

by Anonymousreply 2603/25/2012

they are not the best place to get a massage

by Anonymousreply 2703/31/2012

There are different perspectives to this whole massage envy membership contract. I think it speaks volumes about their business practices when there are hundreds of complaints on the Internet about it. There's no doubt that they are pieces of scum for lying to people about the cancellation policy or omitting the truth about it. They lie because they know how terrible the contract is. While it is the members fault for signing the contract without reading it, it's also not the members fault for feeling like they can trust the establishment. After all, they usually approach you after you've had a massage: after you've been lying on their bed vulnerable and naked with your muscle aches and pains that they've attempted to alleviate. It's like kicking you when you're already down by trying to be your friend. I hardly call that therapeutic.

by Anonymousreply 2802/06/2013

Do not have any dealings with them, no phone calls, no letters.

There may be a SOL problem -- statute of limitations. You can start that statute running again by acknowledging the debt.

Call a local attorney, the attorney will usually give you a rundown of your options for free. It is an ethical suggestion and/ or obligation to give the public an explanation of the law. Besides, he or she wants your business.

If you are not comfortable with that, call you local bar association and ask for a low-cost or free attorney.

There are private attorneys who do only plaintiff or defense collection work. Some do both. You need to talk to someone who knows defense, although any collection attorney will know both or should move into a different area.

There are frequent questions here about the law, and these are good resources. Do not rely on free civil advice from law school clinics or civil legal aid organizations for routine problems. These groups do excellent work, but they do more than their fair share of work problems they will consider more serious than a collection -- evictions and immigration, e.g.

by Anonymousreply 2902/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!