Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Paranormal Activity parts 1-3

WTF am I missing with these movies? Why are they so popular? Do you have to see them in a movie theater to get the full effect?

They aren't bad, just kinda boring.

Look! Lots of doors are slamming!

Wow! Pots and pans are falling, and I just crapped my pants!

I think part three had the best scares, and I'm still wondering what happened with Katie and the baby.

by Anonymousreply 5510/26/2014

The best part about the first one was Micah Sloat's bare feet. Beautiful!

by Anonymousreply 103/23/2012

He did have nice feets.

The scariest part of any horror movie is not what you see, but what you don't. That's actually what I thought was kind of brilliant about the third one, because with that one camera that was panning back and forth, you never quite knew what was going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 203/23/2012

Overall, I enjoyed them. I liked one and three much more than two, though. And I saw them all in my home--not the theater. If the first one bored you so much, why did you watch the other two, OP?

by Anonymousreply 303/23/2012

No life, r3.

by Anonymousreply 403/23/2012

I kept waiting for Micah to get naked in one of the movies. His hole must hold many secrets.

by Anonymousreply 503/23/2012

I actually thought the guy in the third movie was hotter than Micah, although I have no particular recollection of his feets.

by Anonymousreply 603/23/2012

The spirits dwell within Micah's hole. In Part 4, he reveals their musky gathering place.

by Anonymousreply 703/23/2012

[quote]The scariest part of any horror movie is not what you see, but what you don't. That's actually what I thought was kind of brilliant about the third one, because with that one camera that was panning back and forth, you never quite knew what was going to happen.

Exactly. Yes, these movies are formulaic, but what works about them for me is the eerie, uneasy atmosphere that's established, and that the threat is something that's unseen and untouchable.

I thought the scariest scene in the third film was the sequence in the grandmother's house in the middle of the night, from the time the car doors slammed. That walk through the empty candlelit rooms, just WAITING for something to show itself, was creepy as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 803/23/2012

I've seen all three on DVD, hearing that each one is better than the next; except for the "cat on the fridge" jump scare that seems to be in every one, I've never been particularly frightened by them. Maybe they feel scarier in a theater full of superstitious, screaming teenagers.

This Korean comic scared me more than any of those movies:

by Anonymousreply 903/23/2012

I enjoyed it more when it was called "Blair Witch Project", i.e. when the concept was fresh.

by Anonymousreply 1003/23/2012

3, 1, 2. In that order, best to worst.

by Anonymousreply 1103/23/2012

Holy shit that scared me, r9!

As far as the PA movies go, I thought that the characters in the first one were so reprehensible that I was hoping they'd both be dead. Especially Micah, the stereotypical Jewboy daytrader who bought an ugly McMansion. When they pull in the driveway in their convertible, I kept thinking, "I hope these brats get smooshed."

The second one had more relatable characters, but was not scary at all.

by Anonymousreply 1203/23/2012

They SUCKED bigtime.

by Anonymousreply 1303/23/2012

You want scary - watch Insidious alone in the dark.

by Anonymousreply 1403/23/2012

Yes, OP, it's a different experience when you see these movies in a theater full of other people, than when you watch it by yourself comfortable in your own home.

by Anonymousreply 1503/23/2012

I hate it when asswipe know it alls who fancy themselves horror experts say that it's so much scarier when things are not shown. Bullshit. All of the most terrifying and satisfying movie scares of my life have been exactly because of what they have shown on the screen! The Exorcist anyone? Texas Chaisaw Massacre hellooo!! Saw?? Thanks. I think I've made my inarguable point.

by Anonymousreply 1603/23/2012

BWAHHHHH!!!!R16? SAW? You're an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 1703/24/2012

They all sucked. But the old lady cult was creepy at the end of pa3. And yea Micah was hot.

by Anonymousreply 1803/24/2012

Jaws is a great example... so much suspense, and it was so effective, precisely because you didn't actually see the shark for the longest time.

R16 is kind of stupid.

by Anonymousreply 1903/24/2012

I watched the first one. It was a piece of shit. I have no idea why these movies are popular. People just like shit, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 2003/24/2012

I thought VOTN had better taste than this.

by Anonymousreply 2103/24/2012

OK bitches. I have been sick and between yesterday and just now have watched all 3 of these movies.

First one was interesting, a few scares here and there. Not an entire waste of time.

Both the sequels (or prequels) blew hard.

Who are you crack heads saying the 3rd is the best? Really?

by Anonymousreply 2203/24/2012

An episode of Ghost Hunters is scarier than anything in Paranormal Activity 1-3. and GH is funny. I have no idea what the hell people are scared of in these movies. All three were incredibly boring.

by Anonymousreply 2303/24/2012

I saw the first one. It was pretty good, except that I wanted to slap the stupid out of both main characters.

by Anonymousreply 2403/24/2012

Thank you, R25.

by Anonymousreply 2503/24/2012

R25 yeah but it's SO much cheaper the other way-very little overhead.

Surely you realize that some of these people are not in the business for the "artistry."

by Anonymousreply 2603/24/2012

Actually, R16 and R25 are correct. We don't see the shark through much of "Jaws", but we do see people being attacked, and we see the repercussions of those attacks. We see enough to stimulate the imagination to create a sense of peril and evoke fear. The makers of junk like "Paranormal Activity" rely on expensive publicity campaigns to prime audiences into thinking they're going to be scared, so they anticipate it throughout the film. In a sense, they're scaring themselves. It's the post "Blair Witch" trick of fooling people into believing they're going to be scared by something, so they have a knee jerk reaction to every manipulative scene. It doesn't take good movie making to do this, it takes an expensive and effective advertising campaign. People are so easy to fool now, because they've had their entertainment standards lowered by "reality" TV. The "Paranormal" movies are trash.

by Anonymousreply 2703/24/2012

Oh, and here's another beef I have:

In order to be drawn into any work of fiction (regardless of genre), there must be an element of truth in order to suspend disbelief. Even in fantasy or horror when the thrust of the narrative are the fantastical/supernatural elements, there has to be a common sense worldview.

To put it simply, the element of fiction needs to be plopped right into the middle of every day, normal existence. It is one of the things that makes Poltergeist so scary. Here is a middle class suburban white family, with no cares in the world. Then the horror begins.

These found footage movies, from Blair Witch to Cloverfield to Paranormal Activity to whatever that superhero crapfest was that I was forced to go see with my boyfriend, NEVER allow that common sense worldview in order to suspend disbelief and submerge yourself in the fictional world.

Very simple. No one--and I mean NO ONE-- regardless of their original intent to capture things on camera, would continue to hold a camera when this kind of scary shit is going down.

I know it is simple but that is the biggest thing that bugs me. The intrusive nature of the "camera that just happens to be there for whatever trumped up excuse the shitty writers can come up with." or the camera that "john or jane has to carry around with them and get everything shot just right all the while battling demons, being eaten alive, being sucked into hell, etc.

It's all so silly, no?

At least narrative film allows you to actually submerge yourself in the story without wondering about the bullshit device of why a camcorder is set up to catch the footage.

And don't get me started on shows like The Office, Parks and Rec, Modern Family, etc. The "mockumentary" is as obtrusive and overused as found footage, and for the same reason.

by Anonymousreply 2803/24/2012

No, r16 is NOT right. Anyone who thinks Saw is a scary movie doesn't know what he's talking about. Movies like Saw are jokes.

R25 does however make a better point.

The scariest movie have a psychologocal aspect to them and don't rely on gore/torture as much. The fact that PA doesn't have gore/torture does not mean it's a bad movie, and the first one was actually pretty good, but they quickly became formulaic and have lost that authenticity.

Showing me heads being decapitated and people getting stabbed is NOT scary. Messing with the viewer's mind and making them relate to the situation, now that's scary.

by Anonymousreply 2903/24/2012

R29 nails it. I have enjoyed some of these movies for what they are but I'm always thinking, why are they still holding the fucking camera? "Cloverfield" was the worst about this. You have weird unidentified creatures chasing you but you run backwards with the camera still filming? You deserve to die.

by Anonymousreply 3003/24/2012

"Cloverfield" never pretended to to be a lost footage movie in reality. It was a giant monster movie but instead of seeing hundreds of people running, this was the first time you got to see it from the runners perspective. The only way to see the footage was from the found camcorder. That was the plot of the movie, where these pieces of shit pretend to be real, thus making it scary.

by Anonymousreply 3103/24/2012

I don't know about not holding a camera when something scary is going on. There was the guy who filmed a tornado hitting his house. He got struck by lightning, got back up and kept filming. I think the tornado might have killed him.

by Anonymousreply 3203/24/2012

The scariest movie I've ever seen was Eyes Wide Shut.

by Anonymousreply 3303/25/2012

Insidious scared the shit out of me. I haven't been that creeped out in years by a movie. Didn't help that I was alone in a huge, mostly dark, house with all the shades open. I kept thinking I saw shit outside the windows.

by Anonymousreply 3403/25/2012

[quote]Insidious scared the shit out of me. I haven't been that creeped out in years by a movie.

I felt the same way. I've seen so many "scary" movies that I am pretty much desensitized to them, but this one bothered me.

by Anonymousreply 3503/25/2012

Please forgive me for indulging my habit of picking up a discussion weeks after it has trailed off. This is what happens when I have idle time.

[quote]The Exorcist and Poltergeist--the two best horror movies ever made, in my humble opinion--knew how to scare you through actual writing, direction, cinematography, etc.

This probably all comes down to personal preference, but for me, The Exorcist is far scarier BEFORE you get the reveal about Reagan being possessed. Creepy stuff happens (that thing with the exploding candle still makes me jump), and what you really see is Chris MacNeill get more and more desperate and afraid about what's happening to her daughter, and follow Father Karras' crisis of faith.

My favorite scary movie is Rosemary's Baby. And what scares me about it isn't that Rosemary is carrying the Anti-Christ, it's that she's in the middle of this vast conspiracy and doesn't know it. While I'll grant that the impregnating scene is freaky, the scariest moment for me is towards the end, when she's locked herself in the apartment and thinks she's safe, and then you see coven members sneaking around behind her back.

So, yeah, the idea of something being implied rather than expressed really works for me.

by Anonymousreply 3604/07/2012

I loved the Paranormal Activity movies. I like "real" ghost stories...where less is more. Real hauntings are more subtle.

Everytime I read a post from someone making fun of Paranormal Activity movies or the Blair Witch Project for being boring or not scary, I know they are liars. You're just trying to be tough, but we all know you were hiding under your seat like a pussy.

by Anonymousreply 3704/07/2012

This franchise = ONE TRICK PONY.

Cheap and gimmicky.

by Anonymousreply 3804/07/2012

Just watched Part 3. They're starting to mess up their chronology with all they include and then don't. If, in the first movie, they remember that there was some problem with a demon, etc. when they were little, how are they brainwashed? And if Toby was their "friend", why are they terrified and seem to not know what's happening?

And enough with the jump scares. Just finish up this damn tale and tell us where the baby is.

by Anonymousreply 3908/15/2012

I just watched PA 1, 3 and 4 on a 10 hour plane ride.

I have to say I am very confused, how do the girls (who were kids in 3, but adults in 1) not remember the things that happened to them when they were little and realize what's happening? And what happened to the kid?

I will say, while I was watching, with my headset on in the dark cabin, the flight attendant came up behind me at tapped me on the shoulder to see if I wanted something to drink.. LOL.. Scared the shit our of me and I screamed out loud.. half the plane was staring at me..

by Anonymousreply 4004/16/2013

the fourth one was awful

by Anonymousreply 4104/16/2013

Are they making another one?

by Anonymousreply 4206/03/2013

These movies are made by Nev from Catfish' brother.

Which is more fake? PA or Catfish?

by Anonymousreply 4306/03/2013

They've become very "lather, rinse, repeat."

The fourth one was terrible as the ads made it seems as if it'd finally be over... and it's not.

It's never going to be over as long as Katie keeps twisting and breaking people's necks.

by Anonymousreply 4406/03/2013

I didn't like the first one at all...possibly because the lead actress was annoying and it didn't come across as being real.

The second and third ones were scary. I watched all of them alone in the dark.

But none of them compare to Blair Witch Project.

by Anonymousreply 4506/03/2013

We watched all three Thursday and Friday and I was genuinely spooked.

The movies create an atmosphere of familiar eerieness and a sort of disconnect from your daily, routine life.

I'm not ashamed to admit that when I woke up twice in the middle of the night last night, the two lights that are always on in the house seemed to have more energy than normal as did the dark stillness. And walking through the house making sure all was okay was creepy as hell.

Doors closing and people getting dragged down the stairs wasn't so scary. The deafening quietness of a dark, sleeping house was scary as shit.

by Anonymousreply 4611/02/2013

[quote]They aren't bad, just kinda boring.

Honey, when you describe a horror movie as boring, then they ARE bad.

by Anonymousreply 4711/02/2013

Nearly all horror movies are boring - at least to me

by Anonymousreply 4811/02/2013

But in the first Para Normal...weren't they both killed? I was watching but then I missed the ending. I thought they were killed. Am I wrong? Spoiler, please.

by Anonymousreply 4910/26/2014

I can't take a person seriously if they think Insidious was a well-made movie, or that Paranormal Activity was genuinely scary.

Paranormal movies that are actually well made: The Innocents, The Exorcist, The Changeling (1980).

by Anonymousreply 5010/26/2014

[R50] hey pretentious ass-wipe. People are entitled to their opinions.

by Anonymousreply 5110/26/2014

R51, I didn't say people who like these shitty movies should be stoned to death, just that I can't take their opinions seriously. I'm not the only one in this thread who thinks these movies are shit.

by Anonymousreply 5210/26/2014

And learn what the word pretentious means before you go using it again.

by Anonymousreply 5310/26/2014

Yes, the Changling was one of the best.

I'd still like to here the spoiler for Paranormal.

by Anonymousreply 5410/26/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!