Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Obama: "If I had a son," he'd look like Trayvon Martin

Bold and brave statement.

by Anonymousreply 21307/01/2013

And the freeper meltdown should start right around now...

by Anonymousreply 103/23/2012

Until Americans love their children more than they love their guns, these things will continue to happen

by Anonymousreply 203/23/2012

beautifully stated and true

by Anonymousreply 303/23/2012

I doesn't happen much but sometimes when I see flashes of the man I voted for in 2008, I get a little misty-eyed.

by Anonymousreply 403/23/2012

[quote]And the freeper meltdown should start right around now...

If by "now," you mean November 4, 2008.

Because heaven forbid they did it when Bush was in office.

by Anonymousreply 503/23/2012

I am in complete agreement that George Zimmerman should be charged with a crime and it's shocking that he hasn't yet.

But the truth is, I don't think this is something Obama should be commenting on, even though he is right to do so. It makes him appear opportunist and pandering when I know he's better than that.

I don't think any of the actual presidential candidates will react to his statement and say he's playing the race card for fear that they themselves are bringing race into the campaign. But you can be damn sure that the toothless hicks in the vast middle swaths of this country will see his comments as justification for their conspiracy theories that Obama is ready to start rounding up whitey into internment camps. As ludicrous as that statement is, I really think there are people in this country who feel that way and they'll see Obama's defense of Trayvon as proof positive.

by Anonymousreply 603/23/2012

R6 how could he not comment? He'd be a straight coward if he didn't.

Fuck the hicks and hillbillies. Integrity is everything.

by Anonymousreply 703/23/2012

I agree R7, integrity is everything. So why didn't Obama comment on the other race related story that's been in the news this week? The crime happened a year ago, that's why. But this is an election year so the President will make a comment to appeal to people like you.

I get it, it's election year pandering. I just believe my president is better than that and I have to remember he's just doing election tactics to appeal to voters who are more swayed by emotion than critical thought. It's the more liberal equivalent of what Gingrich or Romney does when they pander to evangelicals or tea baggers.

by Anonymousreply 803/23/2012

I think you're being unfair, R8

by Anonymousreply 903/23/2012

Suit yourself, R8.

Believe what you want.

by Anonymousreply 1003/23/2012

WW for R2

by Anonymousreply 1103/23/2012

R8 You are forgetting the HUGE difference between the Trayvon Martin case and the one you cited. In the case you cited, the killer was arrested and brought to justice. Trayvon's killer is still walking the streets.

by Anonymousreply 1203/23/2012

I don't think facts matter to R8.

by Anonymousreply 1403/23/2012

I don't recall him commenting on this one...

by Anonymousreply 1503/23/2012

this one

by Anonymousreply 1703/23/2012

R8, was Obama specifically asked about this Martin case or did he just offer an opinion without being prodded by the media?

How about you link to the media specifically asking about the case you referenced that also shows Obama refusing to respond, then you'd have a point.

by Anonymousreply 1803/23/2012

According to the NYTimes, he was asked about the shooting which is why he made his statements. If he had responded with "no comment" there would have been outrage from all sides.

He was right to not comment on the investigation or the legality of the issue. Speaking on personal terms shows that he's not emotionless.

Grade: A-

by Anonymousreply 1903/23/2012

When most people are murdered and police know who did the murdering, most murderers are arrested. This did not happen in the case of T. Martin which has caused outrage.

by Anonymousreply 2103/23/2012

I thought the sign-language thing was hokey and possibly staged. But THIS is a powerful and gutsy statement.

I'm not a big Obama fan but "Bravo Mr. President".

by Anonymousreply 2203/23/2012

Sentiments that you will never, ever hear come from the lips of a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 2303/23/2012

The thing is, R6/R8, what happened to Trayvon Martin is exactly what many, many African-American parents in this country are most afraid will happen to their own kids. Obama's statement genuinely reflects that fear. It's an effective statement because it's genuine, not calculated.

by Anonymousreply 2403/23/2012

[quote]People get murdered all of the time. So are some of you just linking to the murders you think warrant sympathy and comment?

Nope. Double standard.

by Anonymousreply 2503/23/2012

This was a kid who was murdered, r20. Think of the massive amounts of attention many child death cases generate (in some cases, for years).

by Anonymousreply 2603/23/2012

Too funny R16!

by Anonymousreply 2703/23/2012

R17 what's your point hon? The swiftness with which that juvenile black thug was apprehended, I am assuming? I must say those 2 beautiful white British men were hotness personified and that they should have met their fates in a nasty, disgusting ghetto isn’t lost on you!

by Anonymousreply 2803/23/2012

Where was the outrage when three black kids set a white kid on fire recently. And don't ask for the link, if you're that interested use Google.

by Anonymousreply 3003/23/2012

Great moment. Obama spoke from the heart, and spoke not only an obvious truth (look at the kid's pictures, ears and height and all) but a profound one--young black males suffer automatic suspicion, from some, everywhere they go.

All parents everywhere might think "it could have been my child," but this case resonates much more with African-Americans.

It was also took a lot of balls for the president to say this because the facts remain uncertain.

by Anonymousreply 3103/23/2012

Remember the right-wing meltdown when Michelle Obama stated that as a black man, Barack could be gunned down at any gas station?

Well Trayvon Martin proves she was right.

by Anonymousreply 3203/23/2012

Since the name sounds German, The New York Times made a point of saying Zimmerman is a "White Hispanic."

by Anonymousreply 3303/23/2012

R30, you're a fucking idiot. And that's not strong enough.

by Anonymousreply 3403/23/2012

r13 take your racist behind outta here.

by Anonymousreply 3503/23/2012

Would someone tell me how to recognize a white Hispanic?

by Anonymousreply 3603/23/2012

[quote]Would someone tell me how to recognize a white Hispanic?

Like Gisele Bundchen, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 3703/23/2012

[quote] Would someone tell me how to recognize a white Hispanic?

You can't. We could be anywhere...

by Anonymousreply 3803/23/2012

I loathe Obama, but his tone here is measured and compassionate. Dare I say, presidential.

by Anonymousreply 4003/24/2012

This is fucked up. Is there nothing he won't do to point the light on his election campaign? What he is saying is the kid has big ears. What are his thoughts on Casey Anthony?

by Anonymousreply 4103/24/2012

What were Obama's limited thoughts in Ravi/Tyler? Oh, that doesn't count. That isn't a race issue.

Face it. His support among blacks has disintegrated, and he is trying to shore it up by playing the race card.

What he should have said was, "This is a tragic situation, but in my official capacity, I shouldn't comment during an on-going investigation other than to say I have complete confidence in the legal process."

See how that works?

by Anonymousreply 4203/24/2012

The white Hispanic is racial politics dancing on the head o a pin.

It isn't playing at all.

by Anonymousreply 4303/24/2012

If only Obama would this bold on policy.

by Anonymousreply 4403/24/2012

I disagree, that's not a humane response. R42. President Obama's response was perfect. He humanized the situation and remained neutral at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 4503/24/2012

[quote]Face it. His support among blacks has disintegrated

Uh-huh... Let's check the recent polls, shall we?

by Anonymousreply 4603/24/2012

[quote] I loathe Obama, but his tone here is measured and compassionate.

Why do you LOATHE Obama? Only a freeper would loathe the man.

by Anonymousreply 4703/24/2012

You are absolutely ridiculous, r41.

Read President Obama's entire statement and tell me where he turned this into something political.

Oh and r42, his support among African Americans hasn't disintegrated at all. You're just as ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 4803/24/2012

Good fucking god, R42. What is up with freeper logic?

In Ravi's case, he was arrested and there was a trial. The anger with Zimmerman's case is that he admitted to killing someone AND he is still walking free.

He is walking free. Again, Zimmerman is walking free. The Sanford police had already wrapped this one up. That means, the powers that be in Sanford, Florida were done with this case. It was over.

THAT is why people have had to go outside Sanford to the media and to spokespeople like Sharpton and Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 4903/24/2012

You don't see how it works, r42.

Dharum Ravi was charged and brought to trial, where he was found guilty by a jury of his peers .

George Zimmerman walked away after shooting an unarmed kid. He faces no charges, even though police now know that he stalked Martin and confronted him for no reason at all except the kid was black. They now know Zimmerman has a history of violence, which he lied about. They now know that the whole world knows the police did not follow basic police procedure in the case.

Yet Zimmerman faces no charges, as Dharum Ravi did. Zimmerman is known to have killed someone in cold blood, yet he walks free, faces no jury, sees no consequences of his murderous actions.

by Anonymousreply 5003/24/2012

Actually, I am sick of hearing about this in the media. Who is this kid, the new EMMETT TILL? Just prosecute the killer and quit making this all about The Scottsboro Boys, the redux.

What in the world DID the kid DO that allegedly got this Zimmerman freak to feel any need to defend himself, much less shoot the teen? The exact altercation has not been explained yet, with the specifics as to what caused Zimmerman to use a firearm. THere might actually BE some reasons that Zimmerman was not arrested at the scene or even YET that the media knows nothing of. Innocent until proven guilty. Everyone is just projecting their hatred and racism onto the situation and aimed at BOTH the victim AND the shooter. No one knows the real truth yet.

by Anonymousreply 5103/24/2012

If you are sick of hearing about the new Emmett Till, R51, take it up with Zimmerman and the Sanford police. They are the people who created this situation. The exact altercation was never explained because it was never fucking investigated. The case was settled. The Sanford police determined that the killing fell under self-defense. They are the ones who refused to let justice run its course. Without an arrest, there would not be a trial. That is why the family of Trayvon had to get loud and seek help outside of Sanford. If you don't get why this sort of thing resonates with black people, then you are just fucked. Period.

As far as what Trayvon did to warrant such a reaction from Zimmerman, just listen to the tapes. He was walking around. He looked a certain way. He looked at some houses. According to Geraldo, Trayvon combined those offenses with the crime of wearing a hoodie. What causes Zimmerman to use a firearm is that he was nuts and paranoid, afraid of black people in general. The whole mess at this point, however, is less about Zimmerman and more about the Sanford police and the Stand Your Ground law.

by Anonymousreply 5203/24/2012

The killers in the British tourist case were ARRESTED. That has not happened in the Trayvon Martin case. Jesus Christ, you freepers are assoles!

by Anonymousreply 5303/24/2012

You are repulsive, r54. Truly.

Most rational, humane people don't think in the "either/or" way you do. I can be horrified by all murder. I can feel remorse when any child dies. And I can do soul searching over this case while I do the same for others.

The President never said or implied that this case deserved special treatment, asshole. Your repulsive racist thinking is what's sickening.

by Anonymousreply 5503/24/2012

[quote] The Sanford police determined that the killing fell under self-defense.

They determined it at the scene of the crime no less, and "CORRECTED" a witness whose statement was at odds with the shooter's account. Right there while this dead body wasn't even cold on the ground.

Plus, they made no effort to identify the dead boy. He had his cellphone with him. He'd been talking to his girlfriend. All they had to do was hit redial on his last call and ask if the person who picked up the phone could tell the police who the phone belonged to.

They couldn't be bothered to even do that amount of "investigating."

by Anonymousreply 5603/24/2012

[quote] Actually, I am sick of hearing about this in the media.

So stop commenting about in the media. You are only adding to it. Internet messageboards are social media.

You are so sick of hearing about it in the media that you cannot stop talking about it in the media.

by Anonymousreply 5703/24/2012

There's a long history in the Black community of justifiable distrust of law enforcement and the criminal justice system, going all the way back to the post-Reconstruction era.

My African American grandparents often talked about the fact that there were hardly any Black police officers, maybe two or three who were unusually brutal to Blacks.

By and large, white police officers were viewed as an occupying army, know mostly for harrassment, brutality, and deadly force.

If an African American was in trouble he was better served to take the law into his own hands, then to call the police. If you did call the police in an emergency, they would often arrive at least 30 minutes to an hour or two after the fact.

The Police department made it clear daily, they were not there to assist you, but to keep you in lne. They wanted to inspire fear not trust. Black kids were raised not to call the police if they were in trouble. They were not raised to believe the policeman was their friend. This is still true to this day in many parts of the country.

If you examine the recent history of the Stanford police department, it's a very good example of police abuse of power and institutional racism. There have been other incidents going back to 2006 of the improper use of deadly force or brutality directed at Blacks.

I don't think anyone can understand it better than a Gay man, what it is like to live in an inhospitable environment, where hate has been institutionalized, where you cannot depend on the police, the criminal justice system, the courts, the local, or state, or even federal government to protect and serve your interests.

There are certain areas where the law and the people who enforce it at every level, are fair to us. But we know places where that is not the case. Even in large cities like NYC or LA, we've experienced institutional homophobia, harrassment, discrimination and brutality.

So why is it so difficult for some of us to understand what it's like for a particular ethnic group with a history of experiencing oppression to be fearful of a police force, a city, a state that would allow someone to be gunned down in a neighborhood, and police know who the shooter is, but have not arrested him nor made any attempt to bring him to justice. A police department that didn't even have the decency to tell his parents where his body was for three days.

by Anonymousreply 5803/24/2012

Where was Trayvon from/going?

by Anonymousreply 5903/24/2012

Looks like there is a witness to back up Zimmerman's claims that it was self-defense.

by Anonymousreply 6003/24/2012

[quote]What in the world DID the kid DO that allegedly got this Zimmerman freak to feel any need to defend himself, much less shoot the teen? The exact altercation has not been explained yet, with the specifics as to what caused Zimmerman to use a firearm. THere might actually BE some reasons that Zimmerman was not arrested

But since the cops didn't make an arrest, let alone do an investigation, we don't know yet do we?

What we do know is that the kid was armed with candy and a bottle of tea, while Zimmerman, who clearly was the pursuer, had a gun.

Does "stand your ground" mean stop and question strangers anywhere?

by Anonymousreply 6103/24/2012

[quote]Looks like there is a witness to back up Zimmerman's claims that it was self-defense.

Yes and no. There is a witness who claims that Trayvon was on top of Zimmerman, slugging him, but you don't get to claim self-defense if you're the one who started it.

by Anonymousreply 6203/24/2012

r59, Trayvon was staying with his father, who lives in the gated community where this occurred. He was walking back from a convenience store where he had purchased Arizona Iced Tea and Skittles for his younger brother.

by Anonymousreply 6303/24/2012

Right, r62. Actually, the "self-defense" excuse would work for Trayvon and not the other way around, as Zimmerman is trying to claim.

by Anonymousreply 6403/24/2012

Zimmerman shot Trayvon Martin in this woman's yard. Listen to what she has to say.

by Anonymousreply 6503/24/2012

Martin's father has said the screams on the tape are not Martin's.

by Anonymousreply 6603/24/2012

Thank you,r58.

by Anonymousreply 6703/24/2012

Here's the full interview from the woman who owns the yard where Zimmerman shot Trayvon. Her story is chilling...especially when it comes to the actions of the police.

by Anonymousreply 6803/24/2012

There was NO fight before the shots went off, r70.

by Anonymousreply 7103/24/2012

Yeah, R69. That's what R58 seems to be saying, you pathetic, stupid, ugly piece of racist shit.

by Anonymousreply 7303/24/2012

Was Trayvon shot in his chest or in his back?

by Anonymousreply 7603/24/2012

Obviously the poster meant there was no fight in the moments right before the shot or shots.

Don't be such an idiot, R72.

by Anonymousreply 7703/25/2012

There was no scuffle before the gunshot. When the owner of the property went outside, she saw Zimmerman standing over Trayvon so clearly Trayvon wasn't overpowering him in the moments before.

And once again, the lack of questioning by police is undeniably disturbing.

The same police didn't bother to try to identify Trayvon for how many days after this happened?

by Anonymousreply 7903/25/2012

Let's play Devil's Advocate. Let's say Trayvon did attack Zimmerman first. The question then has to be asked WHY would Trayvon attack Zimmerman? What logical reason would a kid with no prior violent history have to spontaneous attack a grown man on his way back to family after buying Skittles and iced tea? It just doesn't make any logical sense. What we do know is that Zimmerman was stalking Trayvon and seemed hellbent on an altercation with the kid. The kid is now dead.

by Anonymousreply 8003/25/2012

R74, many of the posters defending Trayvon and calling out the racism inherent the case are "white fags." Are you a freeper or the pro-Zimmerman troll trying to make DL posters turn into as vile a human being as you?

by Anonymousreply 8103/25/2012

Based on the comments from various members of the neighborhood, it looks like Zimmerman stalked Trayvon (even though he was told not to) and tried to detain him. Trayvon fought back. Perhaps overpowering him, punching him and breaking his nose.

But the gunshot happened a few houses down so what happened after the first altercation?

Did Trayvon walk away, heading home, only to be pursued again by Zimmerman, this time, brandishing his gun? Or did Zimmerman somehow escape Trayvon's beatdown? Did he run away with Trayvon chasing him so Zimmerman's only safety was pulling out the gun?

I think one scenario is FAR more likely than the other. If Trayvon did beat down Zimmerman, it is most likely that he chose to stop and walk away. Remember, Zimmerman was the aggressor to begin with so Trayvon didn't have an agenda beyond stopping this man from man-handling him.

Also, remember Zimmerman's phone call to 911. "They always get away." Along with other angry, aggressive, potentially racist statements. Zimmerman was pissed. He was determined to stop Trayon, "the criminal", no matter what.

The woman at the link in r68 helps complete the story. The picture she describes does not suggest that Zimmerman was out-of-breath or scared or distraught (as you would be if you were being chased.)

He shot Trayvon after this woman heard child-like whimpering. And it sounds like he may have shot Trayvon in his back. Pretty damning, if true.

by Anonymousreply 8203/25/2012

I don't see any r78.

by Anonymousreply 8303/25/2012

"What are his thoughts on Casey Anthony?"

Well, if he would had said "that could have been my child" with respect to the Casey Anthony case, don't you think Michelle would have gotten a little pissed off?

(by the way, by that I don't mean that he would have been acknowledging paternity of another woman's baby. I mean he would have been suggesting that Michelle would kill her children.)

OK, seriously, what does Casey Anthony have to do with this? This has to do with the fact that a teenager was gunned down coming home from the store and the police haven't arrested his killer because the killer said he was defending himself against a teenager who was unarmed, 100 pounds lighter and ten years younger than his killer. They still haven't arrested his killer even though his killer was pursuing the kid and not the other way around, and after the killer was told that he needn't do that by 911. They still haven't arrested his killer even though a neighbor said she heard a child screaming and the screaming stopped after the gun shot was fired.

If you can't see why there is something really fucked up about this, if you can't see why everyone should be concerned about there not being an arrest in this case, if you can't see why any African American parent in this country wouldn't feel that this could be their child, and if you can't see why Obama was perfectly justified in saying so, than please think again.

In saying so, Obama has not commented on Mr. Zimmerman's guilt. Which he should not do. He has merely commented on the fact that in these circumstances, common human decency and respect for the law would demand that an armed man who kills an unarmed teenager would be charged with the offense. Being charged with an offense is not the same as being convicted. Being arrested and charged for an offense is not the same as not being presumed innocent or as being deprived of ones rights to due process and to proved guilty.

It is merely being brought to justice. There was absolutely no reason for Obama not to say what was clearly in his heart. Trayvon Martin could have been his child. If Obama didn't feel that way, he would have to have his head examined. Obama was simply telling the truth.

by Anonymousreply 8503/25/2012

If Zimmerman hasn't been arrested, where does knowledge of the details such as the grass stains on his back come from?

by Anonymousreply 8603/25/2012

r84, your account is wrong. We've all heard Zimmerman's 911 call where he admitted that he was pursuing Trayvon. The 911 official told Zimmerman that he should not pursue Trayvon. Zimmerman did anyway.

Your account also doesn't explain how Trayvon was shot several houses down from where the physical altercation took place.

Lastly, the issue isn't whether Trayvon "turned the other cheek". The main issue is whether Zimmerman was in imminent danger when he shot Trayvon. Was Trayvon heading toward him just before Zimmerman shot him?

If only the police cared to ask that question on the actual night it happened. They just assumed - just like you, r84. They're pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 8703/25/2012

[quote]Zimmerman got a broken nose, a cut on the back of his head, and grass stains on his back

Link please.

by Anonymousreply 8803/25/2012

R84, once again, what would be Trayvon's motive for "spontaneously" attacking Zimmerman? Are you claiming Trayvon noticed Zimmerman looking at him funny and decided to jump him for the hell of it? A kid with no prior violent history, unlike Zimmerman? I know you are a troll and I am feeding you by taking your bullshit seriously, but on the off chance you are serious, grow a fucking brain.

by Anonymousreply 8903/25/2012

What he should've said: "This could've been me. Walking in our neighborhood to the store to pick up ice cream for Michelle when she was pregnant with Malia."

by Anonymousreply 9003/25/2012

[quote]Zimmerman's 911 call clearly indicated he say Trayvon checking him out and approaching him

And then he said Trayvon was running away and these assholes always get away. How convenient you left that out.

Self defense is not chasing an unarmed kid down and shooting him.

by Anonymousreply 9103/25/2012

There's a difference between being arrested and being detained for questioning. Zimmerman was handcuffed at the scene and taken to the police station for questioning. He has been interviewed at least twice by police since then.

Florida has a speedy trial rule. Once someone is arrested a clock starts on the length of time allowed before the case has to go to trial. If the cops or prosecutor don't have all their ducks in a row before the trial they risk a sloppy prosecution and potentially losing, allowing the defendant to be exonerated with no chance for re-trial. If there's stalling after the arrest and the trial deadline is missed without allowable cause, the defendant "shall be forever discharged from the crime".

The loud and persistent howling for an arrest stems from utter ignorance. There is no statute of limitation for murder.

by Anonymousreply 9203/25/2012

Yes, r92. We should trust the police have everyone's best interest at heart. I mean it's Trayvon who has the violent record while Zimmerman has no record at all. Right?

"Sanford Police Chief Steps Down over Trayvon Martin Case

Friday, March 23, 2012

The growing outrage over the murder of Trayvon Martin has led Sanford Police Chief Bill Lee to temporarily step down from his position. The decision was announced at a news conference on Thursday by Sanford City Manager Norton Bonaparte Jr. The case has drawn anger nationwide to the town because the suspect who shot Martin, George Zimmerman, was not arrested due to his claim that the murder was in self defense. Lee cited the attention drawn to him as a distraction to the case as his reason for stepping down.

City commissioners issued a vote of no confidence on Wednesday. Mayor Jeff Triplett has said he thinks it is time for the police chief to go. The department is coming under fire for some false statements made to the Martin’s parents. They also allegedly tested Martin for drugs and alcohol after his death, but failed to do so with Zimmerman.

Police originally told Martin’s parents that Zimmerman had a clean record. That information has turned out to be false. In 2005 a woman accused Zimmerman of domestic violence and had an injunction filed against him. The month prior he had been arrested for shoving a police officer at a bar near the University of Central Florida."

by Anonymousreply 9303/25/2012

[quote]Zimmerman's 911 call clearly indicated he say Trayvon checking him out and approaching him

What came next on the tape? Why don't you want to include that, hmmm? Oh, we all know, don't we?

Oh yes, I think so.

by Anonymousreply 9403/25/2012

It's not just me who is doing the questioning, r95. The police chief has stepped down. Other agencies are taking over the investigation.

If Zimmerman wasn't the aggressor and he truly acted in self-defense, he shouldn't be charged with a crime.

It is absolutely ridiculous to act as if people don't have reason to be suspicious and incensed over this murder and the aftermath.

The police didn't even bother to track down Trayvon's family that night.

by Anonymousreply 9603/25/2012

If Obama had a son he'd look like a cross between Jayden Smith and Lenny Kravitz.

by Anonymousreply 9703/25/2012

Well Obama is half right. What a jerk, he has no business commenting on an open case. How is the guy gonna get a fair trial, when the President of the United States, is already taking the side of the victim. Yeah he did it, but it just gives Zimmerman the excuse to use, "I can't get a fair trial" as a defense.

If the victim was white, would Obama say that? After all he's just as much white as black. No, he would not.

by Anonymousreply 9803/25/2012

I don't think there is any subject where R23 can't find a way to slip in this mindless opinion. If he wasn't so confoundedly ignorant he might have read a few things said by, say, Abraham Lincoln or Ronald Reagan.

by Anonymousreply 9903/25/2012

r98 has a point.

"If I had a son," he'd look like Trayvon Martin."

What does that have to do with anything? It's a weird comment.

It's dangerous for a sitting President to make a statement on a case when he doesn't have any evidence in front of him. I'm sure Obama was pressured to say something. Remember Obama's "teachable moment"? You need to know when to stay out of incidents, especially ongoing ones.

In the end, Martin may have attacked Zimmerman, but of course no one will even consider that, since it doesn't fit their agenda. Zimmerman acted as a vigilante, and that's horrible, but under Florida law, he can do just that. Zimmerman could approach Martin and ask what he was doing in the neighborhood -- that's not against the law. If Martin took a swing at him, under Florida law, Zimmerman has the right to shoot him and defend himself.

Maybe next time, states will think about the consequences of such laws, and stop letting the NRA run the show. They just passed a law allowing citizens to shoot cops. I'm not joking!

It's going to be next to impossible to convict Zimmerman. This isn't going to end well, and will just drag out. This is why a race riot is inevitable. People are not going to get what they think is justice, so they're going to explode. This case has expanded beyond Florida. No state is going to be safe. The sad thing about incidents like this, is that the black community will be turned against, and it'll probably cost Obama the election. This is what happened in the 60s when it came to civil rights. White America counteracted.

by Anonymousreply 10003/25/2012

Oh, look at r98 and r100. So wrongheaded.

r98, of course, Obama wouldn't claim a white teenage boy would look like him. BECAUSE HE WOULDN'T, YOU IDIOT. And if you read Obama's whole statement, he didn't "take sides" beyond wondering how this happened and asking for the investigation to be completed before making judgements. In fact, he articulated that he shouldn't say more than that on the specifics of the case. Compare that to what Santorum and Gingrich did. They've both condemned Zimmerman. The President did not.

r100, you're "sadly" predicting race riots and Obama's defeat. Things are going to be so bad that "no state is going to be safe."

Really? Every state is going to have a race riot? Really? What a ridiculous, race-baiting exaggeration.

Let me point out one more time that President Obama's statement was measured, humane and healing. It's hysterical to me to read people try to explain that Obama's "If I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon" as some incredibly divisive statement. It is only divisive if you are uncomfortable with Obama identifying himself as a black man. There's else nothing controversial about it.

In fact, that comment is the opposite of divisive. It is healing. For black Americans, this case is so hot button because it taps into so many of their historical fears. Fear of being hunted down and murdered by authorities without case. Fear of their lives being treated as less-valuable. Fear of the police working against them instead of for them.

This case has caused some blacks and non-blacks to claim that this country hasn't changed at all since the death of Emmett Till. In that one short sentence, President Obama reminded everyone who was feeling those feelings that the country HAS changed. Our President is a black man. And as a black man, he sympathizes with what that the Martin family is feeling. Instead of that statement inflaming racial tensions within black Americans, instead it soothed them.

How dare he. Right? How divisive and inappropriate. Right?

by Anonymousreply 10103/25/2012

That was a whole lot of nothing,r100.

And it's funny how people are talking about 'the law'when it applies to Zimmerman. "The law"should have done a through investigation on this creep before they let him go and took his word over eyewitnesses,whose statements about the screams of a child that they are saying was Zimmerman instead. And the white woman who's backyard this happened near has no known ties to Trayvon-why would she lie about what she heard?

The threads on this case have been a real eye opener into the minds of how racist think. Logic is only to be applied when the killer is white,or non black. The mere presence of a black teenager or person is enough to justify homicide and not warrant any further investigation beyond the words of a crazy gunman. The black victim is guilty no matter what and "the law" must bend over backwards to prove that the white/hispanic murderer was right.

It's startling to see so many racists dimiss where the story began-with Zimmerman stalking a child he did not know and based on his own prejudices-and focus on the confrontation that Zimmerman started. I'm still waiting for all these racists to tell us exactly why Trayvon deserved to die at the hands of a complete stranger that he didn't know-his only 'crime'going on an errand for candy and ice tea.

It seems clear to me,the 'law"aside,that Zimmerman will remain free,like so many other white killers of innocent black folks. This is about white power-to reserve the right to do this to other Trayvon's in the future and call it 'self defense'.

This will never end if you sick racists can't even acknowledge that Zimmerman was wrong to confront Trayvon,even when he was advised not to. But Zimmerman,empowered by 'the law'and his loaded gun,knew exactly what he was doing. He knew he would get off,so to speak,with little or no explaination once they knew the victim is black.

by Anonymousreply 10203/25/2012

The kid is 6'2" tall, was on school suspension, and looks nothing like the cute little 4 year old picture released to the media.

As usual, the Leftist arm of the Obama Administration mobs up first, ignores facts, and pushes in hopes that the facts never catch up with the actions. Does this look like Obama? Ask yourself why the media is manipulating the victim's image? Is it because they are lying?

by Anonymousreply 10303/25/2012

Um, where are you getting that Martin was angelic? His friends and mommy? Oh, right. I'll wait until the facts come out and not listen to the frothing mob trying to whip up race riots in Florida.

Good to know Florida will remain a red state this year.

by Anonymousreply 10403/25/2012

Obama should keep his mouth shut, anyone remember the white cop doing his job at the black professors home?

by Anonymousreply 10503/25/2012

Damn, any son that Barack has better be with me and not some other ho. Otherwise I will cut that bitch baby mama and she will end up like Trayvon Martin too. Dead.

by Anonymousreply 10603/25/2012

The racists come out on Sunday morning, obviously. Shouldn't you be in church?

by Anonymousreply 10703/25/2012

Whatever the case, Zimmerman was wrong to play deputy, be a stalker, and pull the trigger.

The real problem...THE GUN LAWS...too many available and to too many loons like GZ with them. That's another thread.

by Anonymousreply 10803/25/2012

I noticed that,too,r107. These freeper are KA-RAZY!!

And there are white teens over 6 feet tall as well,r103 with plenty of them on suspension. Should we shot them on sight,too? See how racists lke you have no logic or brain to speak of?

And I seem to remember a couple of armed white teens who shot and killed innocent people in Columbine...

by Anonymousreply 10903/25/2012

People in Florida are tired of half assed government and law enforcement. The repercussions of this go way beyond the case. I live in Florida and have been listening to the radio this week. A lot of people in Seminole County have stories about the shody police department. People are anxious to make this about race, but this whole incident is shining a light on how legislators are running the state further in the ground. Floridians have had enough of the cronyism that runs the state and counties. You will hear more stories like this and more uproar coming out of Florida if things dont change.

r100, President Obama's comments were not weird. A young man got killed for no reason. And I agree that it will be hard to convict Zimmerman. But if anything this is going to push the election more in favor for Obama.

Ive been to Sanford before, there are some very poor parts where people have been disadvantaged their whole lives. They use guns regularly to make a point. It is going to get really ugly there.

by Anonymousreply 11003/25/2012

[quote]Obama should keep his mouth shut, anyone remember the white cop doing his job at the black professors home?

Oh, you mean that incompetent white cop who failed to do his job properly at the black professor's home? That incident?

by Anonymousreply 11103/25/2012

[quote]Ask yourself why the media is manipulating the victim's image? Is it because they are lying?

Funny you should say that, considering that one of the pictures at the link you're so proud of is not, in fact, Martin. Now who is "manipulating the victim's image" here?

by Anonymousreply 11203/25/2012

So it's now racist to rush to judgment? It's racist to be vehemently opposed to racist mobs flooding other states in an attempt to intimidate people?

Yeah, Fuck You, homey.

by Anonymousreply 11303/25/2012

[quote]It's racist to be vehemently opposed to racist mobs flooding other states in an attempt to intimidate people?

Nah, just really, really stupid. Here's a clue: better to be thought an idiot than to write the drivel you've posted in this thread and prove it.

by Anonymousreply 11403/25/2012

I just saw the "George Zimmerman Rehabilitation Tour" on GMA this morning and I'm convinced that negro they rented and trotted out as a 'friend'of GZ hardly knows him.

It's funny how they are trotting out characters 'witnesses'to support GZ,but no witnesses have come forward to tell a different story than what we've already heard-that GZ started the altercation. Why are they waiting to come forward? Because there are no other 'witnesses'to the contrary.

by Anonymousreply 11503/25/2012

R113, who is being intimidated by "racist mobs"? You're so angry and yet your accusations are irrational. If you truly believe the police handled this situation correctly, you are out of your mind.

by Anonymousreply 11603/25/2012

So, you think the Black Panther putting a bounty on George Zimmerman is a-okay? Good to know.

by Anonymousreply 11703/25/2012

No, I think the new Black Panthers offering a reward for capturing Zimmerman is IDIOTIC. It's the same vigilante spirit that prompted Zimmerman. Zimmerman actually called 911 once to report seeing two black kids ages 7 & 9 were in his neighborhood.

Fortunately, I don't think anyone is taking that Black Panther crap seriously. They are fools. Do you see a tidal wave of support and positive acknowledgement for them? No. What you do see and hear are people wanting the truth and a fair investigation. So again, what's so upsetting about them asking for that?

by Anonymousreply 11803/25/2012

If he was arrested the day he killed Trayvon,r117,or better yet,stayed in his car like he was adviced,or better still,minded his own fucking business,there would be no need to call for a bounty on him.

See how that works?

by Anonymousreply 11903/25/2012

No, actually, I don't see how that works. You don't get a violent pass because you can't intellectually process an event that occurred to a stranger in another state. You don't get a pass to act like an animal.

See how it works?

by Anonymousreply 12003/25/2012

120 please stop projecting the crazy actions of Black Panther Movement on all black people.

by Anonymousreply 12103/25/2012

R120 is having an orgasm with his hardcore trolling because people are responding to it. Don't feed the trolls! Or least, don't take his inane babble so seriously in your responses.

by Anonymousreply 12203/25/2012

It's beyond time for a race war in this country.

by Anonymousreply 12303/25/2012

Hmmmm, who is "acting like an animal"? Who is being "violent"?

R120, your accusations are emotional and inaccurate.

by Anonymousreply 12403/25/2012

I don't see anyone distancing themselves or condemning the Bounty from the Black Panthers, so I guess it's fair to say you support it, right?

See, you can't dictate who gets painted with a broad brush. Either everyone does, or nobody does.

I understand they no longer teach critical thinking skills in public educational system, but that is no excuse. Own your emotional shit.

by Anonymousreply 12503/25/2012

Why r123?

by Anonymousreply 12703/25/2012

Any coincidence that this "Black Against White" violence story disappeared after one day? The media (and Al Sharptons of the world) want us to believe Blacks can't be racist.

by Anonymousreply 12803/25/2012

[quote] Have we forgotten the other case where Obama commented before the facts were in?

Is there some uncertainty to this story where Trayvon may or may not be dead?

Anyone? Yeah, didn't think so.

Of course, what this statement really means is "He's a young black man, so THE ONLY OUTCOME has to be that he was committing a crime of some sort." And we're just waiting to hear what that is, right? He couldn't possibly just have gone to the store and paid for his items and been quietly coming back home.

A parallel to the birther conviction that the only outcome re: Obama is that he MUST be foreign, and no other evidence can be considered unless it proves their point.

by Anonymousreply 12903/25/2012

R125 is so emotional and irrational he/she is throwing around non-sensical accusations as if they're facts. The police screwed up here. Many Democrats and Republicans agree on this. The protests and outcry have asked for a proper investigation. There's nothing outrageous or violent or animalistic about it.

Those accusations are inaccurate and being fueled by something much more disturbing and hateful.

by Anonymousreply 13003/25/2012

Tell that to Zimmerman,r120,who hanted Trayvon like an animal.

And does it matter what state or country in occured in-murder is murder.Can intellectually process that?

Btw,I do not agree with putting a bounty on Zimmerman's head but you can't be allowed to walk away when you murder an uunarmed human being and call it self defense.

The message being sent to people of color is that our lives are of no value and that our children are cannon fodder for any racist who feels threatened by our mere existence. I will not accept that.

Tell us,since you know everything-how do we process that?

And I'd like to hear from hispanics,who seem strangely quite about all this. This is not just a black/white issue.

by Anonymousreply 13103/25/2012

I have no idea if the police 'screwed up' an investigation. I don't care about the opinions of politicians.

I only care that a mob in Florida with threats of violence and death against someone who has not been arrested, is attempted to usurp justice through mob rule.

But you know that, so keep kicking and screaming and calling me a racist so you don't have to defend the indefensible.

by Anonymousreply 13203/25/2012

R128, who is saying black people can't be racist? When as the media said that? And in the case of that linked story, if true, those individuals are violent, stupid and deserved to be punished. But that doesn't negate the arguments being made in the Florida case.

by Anonymousreply 13303/25/2012

Once again, r132, you are ignoring facts and making exaggerated inaccurate claims to justify your emotional response.

If you actually cared about justice you would study what the police did and did not do and say in this case.

You state that you have no idea what the police did right or wrong but you're upset that there was a protest to complain about it. Wow. So justice may be compromised but hiw dare people speak out about it? People gather in protest all the time. As long as there is no violence, it's perfectly legal.

In this case, the protest is also justified. And you would know that if you actually cared to understand people's perspectives.

by Anonymousreply 13403/25/2012

The investigation is not complete. As you are aware, investigations take time. I will not subscribe to trial by media and dig in to what someone did or didn't do.

Fog of war and all, right? You have no idea either, but you think your information from biased sources makes you morally right.

Zimmerman doesn't have that luxury.

by Anonymousreply 13503/25/2012

[quote]Any coincidence that this "Black Against White" violence story disappeared after one day?

What does that story have to do with anything, r128? I'm sure it would be getting a lot more attention if the police had decided not to bother investigating the attack because the two black kids claimed it was self-defense. But that didn't happen, did it?

And by the way, despite what a few people here seem to be suggesting with all their stupid "what about this story?" links, it isn't okay for people like George Zimmerman to stalk, shoot, and kill random, unarmed black kids just because some other, totally unrelated black kid in a different part of the country attacked a white person.

by Anonymousreply 13603/25/2012

R135, you personify exactly what I said at R129.

[quote] Of course, what this statement really means is "He's a young black man, so THE ONLY OUTCOME has to be that he was committing a crime of some sort." And we're just waiting to hear what that is, right? He couldn't possibly just have gone to the store and paid for his items and been quietly coming back home.

Because this can be the only possible outcome in your mind. If a man who called 911 with the frequency that most people bath…a man who referred to the victim in a 911 call as a "fucking coon"……if this man gets a wide berth in your mind? Then the only outcome that will ever, ever, ever, EVER satisfy you will be the one where you can blame the victim.

If that isn't racism, perhaps I should consult Webster's and refresh my memory as to the definition of the word. Maybe you should, as well.

by Anonymousreply 13703/25/2012

Plugging your ears and singing "la-la-la" is childish, r135. The investigation now has a chance to be completed in a thorough fashion because that attention is focused on it and the police chief has stepped aside. None of that would have happened without the public demanding better.

by Anonymousreply 13803/25/2012

Although often critical of Obama if he did it for political reasons he is even smarter than I think. The comment struck me as a genuine moment when he went from Obama the father and then back to Obama the president,

by Anonymousreply 13903/25/2012

[quote]Zimmerman doesn't have that luxury.

Zimmerman doesn't have the luxury of thinking he's morally right, r135? He certainly seemed to think he had that luxury when he decided to grab his gun and stalk an unarmed kid walking home from the store, even after the 911 dispatcher told him to stay put.

by Anonymousreply 14003/25/2012

So we needed the threat of violdence and putting a bounty on Zimmerman's head?

Nice try, but you are dead wrong. Justify your racism, but nobody else is buying it.

In fact, there is broad back-lash building as we speak.

by Anonymousreply 14103/25/2012

[quote]So, you think the Black Panther putting a bounty on George Zimmerman is a-okay? Good to know.

ROFL... See, here's the thing: writing something like this just confirms that you're either a) a troll, b) really, really dumb, c) are guilty of a logical fallacy, or d) all of the above.

by Anonymousreply 14203/25/2012

[quote]No, actually, I don't see how that works.

Trust me; you've made that very, very clear. You know, you really should just stop while you're behind. Digging that hole deeper and deeper really isn't working.

[quote]You don't get a pass to act like an animal.

Funny, that's the message we're trying to send to Zimmerman.

by Anonymousreply 14303/25/2012

r132, paraphrased:

I don't care if the police allow gun-toting vigilantes to get away with shooting innocent black citizens. I do care, quite a lot, when scary black people have the nerve to get upset and protest.

I don't care about the right of a law-abiding black teen to walk down the street without getting shot at. But it really fuckin' pisses me off that some non-black guy can't just shoot and kill him and expect people to keep their damn mouths shut about it until the investigation (should police choose to conduct one) is complete.

by Anonymousreply 14403/25/2012

[quote]Justify your racism, but nobody else is buying it.

ROFL.... Dear heart, you really should look up the term "projection."

[quote]In fact, there is broad back-lash building as we speak.

Uh-huh, just like all of those blacks that were deserting Obama which is why Obama had to speak out. Oh wait, that wasn't true, either.

by Anonymousreply 14503/25/2012

And yet, there you are - refusing to distance yourself from it. Carry on.

by Anonymousreply 14603/25/2012

[quote]You have no idea either, but you think your information from biased sources makes you morally right.

LOL.... Oh, the irony, coming from the moron who posted R103.

by Anonymousreply 14703/25/2012

[quote]I only care that a mob in Florida with threats of violence and death against someone who has not been arrested, is attempted to usurp justice through mob rule.

Dear, you keep speaking about this "mob." Obviously, this is something that concerns you greatly, so this must be just a terrible attack, causing people to cower in their homes, bringing all business and traffic to a standstill, armed gangs roaming the streets, and all that.

I've been looking for the stories about this "mob." Alas, I fear that I've found nothing. Obviously, this is a huge media conspiracy. Thank heavens Zimmerman has you looking out for him and spreading the truth to all of us poor uninformed peons!

by Anonymousreply 14803/25/2012

[quote]And yet, there you are - refusing to distance yourself from it. Carry on.

ROFL... Dear heart, I also haven't "distanced" myself from the Ku Klux Klan, the American Nazi Party, the Republican Party, the Catholic Church, and the Girl Scouts. By your "logic," I must therefore be a supporter of all of these various institutions.

Really, dear, you should just stop. It's obvious you're a moron; you don't need to keep proving it.

by Anonymousreply 14903/25/2012

If Obama had a son, Michelle would be taking off her earrings before teaching her husband a lesson on the consequences of fooling around with other women.

by Anonymousreply 15003/25/2012

TY r126 because r111 seems to have memory lapses.

by Anonymousreply 15103/25/2012

LOL... Sorry, R151; I just happen to remember the actual facts of the case.

by Anonymousreply 15203/25/2012

A skinny black teenager.

...and, r153?

by Anonymousreply 15503/25/2012

What is your point, r153? The kid deserved to die because he was able to grow some very threatening peach fuzz on his upper lip?

R154, that headline is likely bullshit, as there's a witness (the woman whose yard Martin was shot in) who says Zimmerman was chasing Martin when the shots rang out. Anyway, now that the case is actually getting investigated, ballistics experts will surely be able to determine Zimmerman's position in relation to Martin when Zimmerman fired. I'm guessing this won't be good news for Zimmerman.

R156, he doesn't. He thinks his son would look like an ordinary black teenager with no history of violence and an squeaky clean police record. To what violent, thieving thug were you referring?

by Anonymousreply 15703/25/2012

[quote]More recent pictures of Trayvon Martin:

Actually, R153, it's already been established that one of those pictures is not of Martin. You really should try to keep up. Moreover, even if they both were, so what?

by Anonymousreply 15803/25/2012

[quote]The truth about the case:

Bullshit. The still unidentified and uncorroborated eyewitness did not see the altercation begin and did not see the shooting, which means that the headline of that article is bullshit. Moreover, the unidentified and uncorroborated eyewitness's testimony is contradicted by the testimony of another eyewitness.

What's hilarious about the article you linked to, R154, is that it complains about news items containing "a combination of false statements, opinions presented as facts, transparent distortions, and a complete absence of some of the most relevant details," all in an article that contains "a combination of false statements, opinions presented as facts, transparent distortions, and a complete absence of some of the most relevant details!"

Absolutely hilarious. For the record, what the purported eyewitness saw does not in any way exonerate Zimmerman or convict Martin.

by Anonymousreply 15903/25/2012

[quote]Why would the President think his son would look like a violent, thieving thug?

ROFL... I do so love a clumsy troll. Don't you just love how desperate these idiots are getting?

by Anonymousreply 16003/25/2012

Oh, this is just lovely. Now, a "friend" of Zimmerman's family says that he didn't say "fucking coon" on the 911 call, he said "goon." And Zimmerman's attorney claims that "goon" is a term of endearment to the younger generation, according to his daughter.

(And yes, I'm well aware that the tape isn't crystal clear and it's possible that Zimmerman didn't say "fucking coon." But this is just hilarious: 'cause everyone says "fucking goon" as a warm and tender term of endearment to people they're stalking and calling 911 about, right?)

by Anonymousreply 16103/26/2012

More about the fake picture.

by Anonymousreply 16203/26/2012

More about the smear campaign against Trayvon Martin.

by Anonymousreply 16303/26/2012

Seriously R161? That's pretty damn pathetic right there. As if his daughter is some kind of authority anyway. That's the best that they can do? Damn LOL.

by Anonymousreply 16403/26/2012

Proves once again that the Conservative Right will stoop to the lowest level to slime the victim. They are the true white trash

by Anonymousreply 16503/26/2012

America hates black males.

That is a fact.

by Anonymousreply 16603/26/2012

[quote]Proves once again that the Conservative Right will stoop to the lowest level to slime the victim. They are the true white trash.

It also proves that they're even afraid of dead black men.

by Anonymousreply 16703/26/2012

Sean Hannity was just talking about Trayvon.

Not a positive segment, of course.

by Anonymousreply 16803/26/2012

I believe Obama was speaking from his heart boldly and bravely. And of course he would feel that way.

However, Obama should not be saying anything with respect to any pending litigation. Doing so impedes justice. The bully pulpit has no place in the criminal justice system when it comes to specific cases. I realize that what he was saying is at least arguably more directly related to concerns about the police inaction than about the ultimate question of George Zimmerman's guilt. But it will not be perceived that way and could infect and complicate the proceedings in a case which have already been curiously complicated.

by Anonymousreply 16903/26/2012

[quote]However, Obama should not be saying anything with respect to any pending litigation. Doing so impedes justice.

Oh, garbage. There's not a damn thing wrong with what he said, nor will it in any way "impede justice." He didn't talk about anyone's guilt or innocence, didn't talk about details, didn't do anything to prejudice one side or the other. He simply expressed his sympathy.

by Anonymousreply 17103/26/2012

Yes, because killing them does so much to help with that problem, R170. Why I can already see the positive effects even now! Oh, thank you so much for showing us the light! What would we ever do without your wisdom?

by Anonymousreply 17203/26/2012

I'm sure Zimmerman is out of the country by now. I'm revolted and don't know what to do.

by Anonymousreply 17303/26/2012

Oh, and for the record, R170, you do understand that your post was both ignorant and bigoted, right? Just checking.

by Anonymousreply 17403/26/2012

R170 is the same one slandering Trayvon all over the board but telling people not to play the race card. He's so against violence that he supports a racist murderer with a history of violence and racial profiling. R170, you must be a member of MS13? I didn't know that they accepted gays.

by Anonymousreply 17503/26/2012

Don't worry racist assholes. There will be no justice.

by Anonymousreply 17603/26/2012

And for the record, R170, crime and particularly violent crime has been decreasing for years in every demographic group. But let's not let facts get in the way of what you and your buddies do so well. Kill black children.

by Anonymousreply 17703/26/2012

LOL... R178, can you really not troll any better than that? I mean, seriously, that was just pathetic.

Damn those "America-hating" "black males" who killed Trayvon Martin!

by Anonymousreply 17903/26/2012

Well, R178 you and your MS13 buddies have done a pretty darn good job of it where I come from. Oh and should those black makes who have killed black children go free? You know like how you want your racist murdering buddy to go free for killing Trayvon?

by Anonymousreply 18003/26/2012

Oh and I just realized that the reason R178 hasn't been deleting cookies and slandering Trayvon while pretending to be different people right now is because the board is in Primetime.

by Anonymousreply 18103/26/2012

Well, that, and he's pretty proudly bigoted, not to mention stupid, as his posts on this thread pretty clearly reveal, R170 being a case in point.

by Anonymousreply 18203/26/2012

[quote]Oh and I just realized that the reason [R178] hasn't been deleting cookies and slandering Trayvon while pretending to be different people right now is because the board is in Primetime.

Deleting cookies does nothing gramps. You're id'ed by your IP.

by Anonymousreply 18303/27/2012

[quote]And for the record, [R170], crime and particularly violent crime has been decreasing for years in every demographic group.

by Anonymousreply 18403/27/2012

I still don't get Obama's comment. He put his foot in his mouth yet again. Another teachable moment, Mr. President?

by Anonymousreply 18503/27/2012

[quote]I still don't get Obama's comment.

Perhaps if you turned your brain on?

[quote]He put his foot in his mouth yet again.

Um, no, not according to all the news accounts and the polls. There is not one damn thing wrong with what Obama said. Why is it that none of who are complaining can actually point to anything he said and describe what's wrong with it?!

[quote]Another teachable moment, Mr. President?

Perhaps but I doubt you're capable of learning the lesson.

by Anonymousreply 18603/27/2012

Re Al Sharpton. It's Tawana Brawley and the Duke Lacrosse team all over again.

by Anonymousreply 18703/27/2012

[quote]Re Al Sharpton. It's Tawana Brawley and the Duke Lacrosse team all over again.

No it's not. Martin is definitely dead, was definitely unarmed, and his killer's self-defense claim is on very shaky ground.

Shame is, in the minds of many white people Sharpton is nothing but fraud and a fomenter of racial conflict, end of story. So when he attaches himself to an issue, its credibility drops hard among white onlookers. He would have done better by Trayvon Martin's family if he had stayed out of it. The protests were already growing and they were growing across ethnic/race lines.

by Anonymousreply 18803/27/2012

This is not at all similar to the Duke Lacrosse case. If you can't see that you are an idiot.

The primary issues of this case is a real problem with our nation's gun laws such that Trayvon's shooter can't even be legally arrested and charged.

We know racial profiling goes on, we shouldn't pass laws which makes it okay.

by Anonymousreply 18903/27/2012

R189, Do you own the real estate down at the corner of Blind and Denial, or do you just rent?

The issue isn't about changing the nation's gun laws, idiot, it's about rushing to judgment before all the facts are in and drumming up other ignorant fools to join in. Lemmings!

It's so similar to Tawana Brawley (wherein Sharpton ruined the careers and names of law officials and were sued for their part in it, not to mention the damage done to the Lacrosse players) before they found out the true facts. Sharpton has been skating away from this type of race-baiting for years. The ironic thing is this case seemed open and shut. But as time goes on, we are finding Sharpton has missed the mark once again. Meanwhile, Jesse's probably out somewhere trying to find a Fortune 500 company he can extort.

by Anonymousreply 19003/27/2012

[quote]it's about rushing to judgment before all the facts are in and drumming up other ignorant fools to join in.

Oh, you mean like the morons who are doing everything in their power to slime Martin and drum up support from "other ignorant fools" for Zimmerman? Okay, good analogy.

by Anonymousreply 19103/27/2012

Anyone comparing this incident to the Tawana Brawley story is a moron. Brawley's story most likely was a complete hoax; at any rate, no hard evidence exists to back up her claims. In the Trayvon Martin case, on the other hand, it's a matter of known and undisputed fact that

1) Martin is dead.

2) George Zimmerman shot him to death.

3) Martin was unarmed at the time Zimmerman shot him.

4) 911 dispatchers told Zimmerman not to follow Martin, but Zimmerman disregarded their orders and continued to pursue the kid.

The only issue open to speculation/dispute is what exactly transpired in the moments leading up to Zimmerman pulling the trigger.

by Anonymousreply 19203/27/2012

Interesting friends to have:

by Anonymousreply 19303/28/2012

How does one deal with racist family member? My sister on FB:

[quote] finsished reading about the murder of the school teacher... how about focusing on that instead of a kid wearing a hoodie and the parents trying to make money off of his death!!!

I want say something or should I just let it go?

by Anonymousreply 19403/28/2012

You are hilarious, R193.

by Anonymousreply 19503/28/2012

Central Florida leftists insist something new is happening here since Trayvon Martin’s killing. In the era of Occupy and global resistance, small towns draped in Spanish moss are now home to budding activists raising their fists to demand justice for Trayvon.

I’m down here from Brooklyn on a long-planned speaking tour that I hastily shifted to talk about Winning Justice for Trayvon: Socialism and the Fight to End the New Jim Crow. My impression so far is that these local activists living amidst boarded-up strip malls and forests of foreclosure signs are onto something.

The multiracial protests and meetings here seem to indicate that perhaps a new civil rights movement is developing in a region where the Klan still holds public rallies and newspapers uncritically report racist tirades against Trayvon.

Where this will go from here I have no idea, but one thing is certain: There are Floridians who say they’re forever changed by this case, and some of them — to the horror of bigots — will cite this as their entry into a life of organized left-wing politics.

On Monday at the University of Florida’s flagship campus in Gainesville, more than 250 Black and white students marched together to the FBI building to demand the Feds take action to arrest Trayvon’s killer, George Zimmerman.

That is not a large protest to folks in New York or Chicago, but in a deeply segregated town where Blacks literally live on the other side of the tracks, where activists passed a Klan rally of dozens along the road home afterward, a multiracial march of this size is a triumph.

The demand from students at the march for a new civil rights movement is a heartening sign. Seasoned activists insist this hasn’t happened in the past, despite an endless stream of outrages over the years.

On Wednesday in Melbourne, a beach town about 80 miles from Sanford where Trayvon was killed, a diverse crowd of 45 or so attended my meeting. The young people there, like young people everywhere nowadays, are scraping by on jobs at Radio Shack, sandwich shops and are moving back home with mom and dad, desperately hoping for something to change.

Several left the meeting with copies of The Meaning of Marxism, Sexuality and Socialism and The Communist Manifesto tucked under their arms, excited to join reading groups in coming weeks. They’re carpooling to Sanford on Saturday for the big NAACP march for Trayvon, excited to be part of history, but outraged by the latest character assassinations of Trayvon.

Last night in Gainesville after I spoke a crowd of students participated in the wide-ranging discussion about the roots 0f racism, comparisons to the sixties and how multiracial unity can be forged. Several young Black women wearing hoodies participated in an animated discussion, the campus NAACP rep grabbed a Socialist Worker, a young Black alum leafleted for a Million Hoodie March today. When a retired transgender activist who’d been a postal strike militant in 1970 denounced the divide and conquer tactics of the 1%, she was applauded.

One Cuban-African American student who’d read Michelle Alexander’s The New Jim Crow was elated to find socialists on campus — finally a political home for a young woman whose Miami Beach youth was spent being ridiculed for expressing antiracist ideas. She’s joining the local carpool to Sanford on Saturday, too.

I’m off to Tampa tonight to speak at the University of South Florida and will be heading to Sanford on Saturday where I’ll Tweet from the protest (@SherryTalksBack) and file a report for Monday’s

Who knows where all this pent up anger and rage will eventually lead? Times like this we’re reminded that the system doesn’t just produce oppression, exploitation and division, it sparks resistance as well.

How long it will last, how deep it will sink roots, how much change it can win are open questions. But something’s happening here.

by Anonymousreply 19603/30/2012

R197, here's a clue: it's best not to be racist when you're accusing someone else of 'abusing the racial issues.' It's a tell.

by Anonymousreply 19804/16/2012

[quote]I guess Obama meant "if I had a son he'd look like Trayvon Martin when he was 13 years old."

Well, everyone knows that Obama is only electable because he is non-threateningly black.

by Anonymousreply 20004/16/2012

Yup....his son would look....well....dead!

by Anonymousreply 20104/16/2012

Obama didn't know what the facts were of the case. He shouldn't have made such an idiotic statement. He got in trouble for this before, and had to have a "teachable moment". I don't know what he was thinking.

Not for anything, but, ""If I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon Martin," just sounds stupid to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 20204/16/2012

[quote]Oh, garbage. There's not a damn thing wrong with what he said, nor will it in any way "impede justice." He didn't talk about anyone's guilt or innocence, didn't talk about details, didn't do anything to prejudice one side or the other. He simply expressed his sympathy.

You're a disgusting idiot, Nancy Grace.

What Obama did was dangerous. He is speaking from the highest position in the country. Maybe if you weren't so damn dumb, you'd open up a history book and see where other Presidential comments have led to.

You're either stupid, or you're protecting Obama at any cost.

Obama put his foot in his mouth.

by Anonymousreply 20304/16/2012

You murdering pig. You defend the murder of an innocent kid? I hope you die from throat cancer, r204. I'm expecting it to be a long painful death...what you deserve.

by Anonymousreply 20504/16/2012

So 204 is saying, Zimmerman can stalk an innocent, threaten him with a gun and because he is a black man...he has to just put up with it? Well, fine...if Zimmerman can do that to Trayvon, maybe I could do it too? I just have to pick my target.

by Anonymousreply 20604/16/2012

Obama did not put his foot in his mouth in any way. He spoke the truth. Something a racist pig could never understand.

by Anonymousreply 20704/16/2012

Pick r204

by Anonymousreply 20804/16/2012

Have any of you even considered that Trayvon was a self-proclaimed thug?

Have any of you considered that Trayvon possibly became physically violent when he felt "persecuted"??

Have any of you considered that Zimmerman acted in self defense???

Have any of you people heard of a court of law where a person is considered innocent until proven otherwise????

Nah...none of this matter to any of you. And, I bet that you all voted for Obama as well.

by Anonymousreply 20904/16/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!