Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What part of your past do you feel terribly sentimental about?

I'd say it would be ages 11-15. I went roller skating about 3 or 4 times a week (I was a speed skater and we often had competitions).. Xanadu, Grease, Saturday Night Fever, Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark were hits at the box office.. We had disco, metal and new wave all playing on the same radio station.

I had a cute boyfriend (who looked just like my first crush, Davy Jones), and our little torrid affair was our secret which made it that much more exciting. We never got bullied - everyone just thought we were best friends. The excitement of sneaking off to be together was incredible. All those those hot summer nights listening to The Police and making out to Pink Floyd The Wall. Holding hands in the movie theater, or watching Welcome Back Kotter and Happy Days... I thought I was the luckiest boy in the world.

Somehow, when I turned 16, it all changed. It's as though I woke up one morning and could just tell things would never be as carefree and happy go lucky ever again. But DAMN, those were great years. I have a wonderful life now, but it really pulls at my heartstrings to remember those days.

by Anonymousreply 7405/07/2013

Such a great story. What happened to him OP?

by Anonymousreply 103/21/2012

This made me smile. Thanks OP.

by Anonymousreply 203/21/2012

Your story made me smile too OP.

Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 303/21/2012

Thanks all, I'm feeling a bit wistful in these wee hours. Scott moved from where we lived in California to Brooklyn in the summer of 1981.We were both 16. I cried myself to sleep for a week, and barely ate anything. I know - MARY!

We wrote and called one another for about a year until his parents found our letters. I got one letter (from his father) after that explaining that I was to never contact him again. My parents got a letter too. It was awful. Thankfully my mother was sympathetic and surprisingly sweet about it all.

I often wonder what happened to him. It's really just as well that I don't know, as the memories are so incredible, I'd rather leave it be.

by Anonymousreply 403/21/2012

Just for the heck of it, here's a pic of us during our freshman year in the (what else?!) drama club - I left the two of us unblurred. Bottom left.

by Anonymousreply 503/21/2012

so sweet

by Anonymousreply 603/21/2012

OP, is he still alive?

For me things went sour as soon as the teen years hit.

by Anonymousreply 703/21/2012

This would make a great movie OP. But you'd have to add that the two of you met again much later in life and rekindled your relationship. We can cast Harrison Ford and .. hmm, who else? Warren Beatty?? I'd love to see a movie like that. How about Nick Jonas and Josh Hutcherson can play the two of you as teens.

by Anonymousreply 803/21/2012

You both look so happy. Nice

by Anonymousreply 903/21/2012

Is there any way to contact him, OP? Is he on Facebook?

by Anonymousreply 1003/21/2012

None. My childhood sucked.

by Anonymousreply 1103/21/2012

Both my High School and College Hockey days. probably college more. Life isn't so bad now. It's just so fucking boring.

by Anonymousreply 1203/21/2012

Being 21 and on my own for the 1st time, living in my first apartment with my best friend in the east village.

that summer--1994 --was the 25th anniversary of Stonewall and the Gay Games. it seemed like I was going to a different party every night, and each one was packed with beautiful guys from all over the world. met a fucking hot beefy French rugby player and had an intense affair with him for a week that July.

One night we went down to the piers (before it was redeveloped), stoned and buzzed on beer, and just laid there nuzzling and watching the sunset. Pier queens had their boomboxes cranked up and were dancing all over the place. I felt like I was just melting into the universe with swoon-y queer pleasure.

I know. Sounds totally corny. But given how utterly drained of color and excitement my life is right now (by-product of age), I find myself reminiscing about that time a lot.

by Anonymousreply 1303/21/2012

[quote] everyone just thought we were best friends

Guuuurl, please! I saw that pic of you two that you posted at R5. They knew!

At any rate, you two are very cute there. Sweet story. Go find him!!

by Anonymousreply 1403/21/2012

R13, I love that story too. It's not corny at all. Sounds like a fantastic summer. We should all be so lucky!

by Anonymousreply 1503/21/2012

I am very sentimental about my college years. It was my first taste of (much-wanted) freedom, and I pretty much did whatever I wanted. I never told my mom anything. I came out to her the summer before I left, and she made it clear that she didn't want to hear about anything "gay", including anyone I was dating. It was a shock at first, but I felt a rush of joy as I prepared to leave home for my freshman year.

I had an interesting and diverse group of friends; music students, art students, people from other countries, all the friends I made as part of the gay student union. My core group of friends, many of who were fascinating, were very supportive of me and helped my develop my sense of self.

The best part was the year I did study abroad in the UK, which blew my mind even more. I'm very thankful for everything I did in college, because it helped my become who I am today: a very independent, well-developed person.

by Anonymousreply 1603/21/2012

Is anyone else going to chime in?

I agree with R15 re:R13. Nice story.

R16, I'm sorry you had to go through that with your mom, but how wonderful to leave home and find such wonderful friends.

by Anonymousreply 1703/22/2012

When I was a kid in the 1970's, my family all being together, my mom still here and our annual trips to Disneyland and occasional cross-country car trips. Things weren't perfect, I still had my problems then, but I felt a lot safer and more secure. Now I'm always worried about not having a future and not being able to support myself or live the same way that my parents did.

by Anonymousreply 1803/22/2012

living on a Greek island in my 20's - it was an odd feeling because it's not something I look back on and appreicate more with time....I knew while there how fantastic it was - every single day and everything I did -

sounds totally cliche, but I've never lived so in the moment as I did then

by Anonymousreply 1903/22/2012

R8, if OP was 11-15 in the late 70s and early 80s, he's probably in his late 40s now. Do you really think Harrison Ford and Warren Beatty are good casting choices?

by Anonymousreply 2003/23/2012

OP, we ALL knew.

by Anonymousreply 2103/23/2012

Lived in Paris and Rome as a child. Was shocked at the dreariness and sterility of life in the US when I got here -- and still am.

Paris especially was about beauty and style. Children were IN THE BACKGROUND. I actually liked that.

by Anonymousreply 2203/23/2012

R20 is right, but Hamilton Ford and Warren Beatty are bankable, and at least THEY think they look like they're in their forties. Since they really are too old, I'd suggest Tom Hanks and Linda Hunt. (He has already played opposite a soccer ball; this would be slightly less of a stretch.) Hanks is only 55, aka forty-fifteen.

by Anonymousreply 2303/23/2012

More stories please!!

by Anonymousreply 2403/29/2012

Who is Hamilton Ford?

by Anonymousreply 2503/29/2012

I knew a hottie Ford with a drinking problem once upon a time.

by Anonymousreply 2603/30/2012

it's kind of sad that the young affair coincided with the decline and fall of great cinema.

The television viewing habits were regrettable as well. One of my great regrets was wasting evenings with the ABC weeknight lineup during the 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 2703/30/2012

Summers between 8 and 12. We had a summer cottage two blocks from the beach. My bitchy older sisters wanted to spend more time with their friends than be at home. My brother who was 4 years older had a small row boat. My parents just wanted to sit on the beach and veg out. I was left alone. To do whatever I wanted. Spend the day at the beach, go walking in the woods, lie in a hammock and read endless amounts of adult books cast off by my parents.

I put on my bathing suit in the morning and didn't take it off until I went to bed. Didn't need friends. Best times were alone on the moored row boat with some Mountain Dews, a couple of sandwiches and some good books. At night my parents and my brother and I played cards. No TV, no phone.

Bliss.

by Anonymousreply 2803/31/2012

R28, that sounds like heaven..

by Anonymousreply 2903/31/2012

more please!

by Anonymousreply 3004/19/2012

First boyfriend. And the tears in his eyes when I broke up with him.

by Anonymousreply 3104/19/2012

The happiness times of our lives are usually the simplest.

Remember that the next time you feel the need to surround yourself with material possessions.

by Anonymousreply 3204/19/2012

I feel very sentimental about 1980's NYC. I moved out of a small midwestern town after being fag bashed and never fitting in. I lived in The Village and every day felt like freshman year in college. I didn't have a lot of money, but it seemed like I went everywhere. So many people I met were new to the city and eager to make friends; many that I still have to this day. I've since left the NYC area and going back to visit really affects me--I think of the "Ghosts of NY" the peopke I did lose to HIV.

by Anonymousreply 3304/19/2012

Agree, r32.

I love OP and r13's story. It's funny how it really is the simple things of just being with someone can make us happy.

by Anonymousreply 3404/19/2012

My childhood. I grew up the 70's--80's and back then we were pretty much "free range" kids. In summer,my mom ( who worked swing shifts as a nurse) would leave a couple bucks on the table for me to go swimming or what ever.

Long, lazy summer days playing at the park, riding my bike looking for some adventure and mischief or just hanging out with my friends. On rainy days watching TV shows like "Johnny Socko" or cartoons and making "forts" out of blankets hung between two chairs.

What I wouldn't give to be carefree, naive and full of wonder about the world around me again, instead of being the bitter and jaded old queen I've become.....

by Anonymousreply 3504/19/2012

My college years. I loved every minute of it.

by Anonymousreply 3604/19/2012

R36, details would be nice. Share a story or two.

by Anonymousreply 3704/19/2012

BEST thread in a long time. Count me in as another 70's kid. I remember riding my purple Huffy bike all over God's creation and only having to be home when the street lamps came on. Dairy Queen visits. Looking for rocks in the creek. Standing in mud and pretending it was "quicksand." Saturday nights feeling all safe and snug in my pajamas watching Bob Newhart, Mary Tyler Moore and Carol Burnett from the floor of our Brady Bunch, shag carpeted den. It wasn't "idyllic" and we had our problems. My mom was a functioning alcoholic and married a bunch of times but there was a lot of love in our home. I was a fat, sensitive kid (who used to save TV Guide covers!) and lived for those television shows. They were my escape. I had an old cassette recorder that I would actually tape the soundtracks from the shows on. I still have some of the Sonny and Cher tapes somewhere in a storage bin.

My mother passed on several years ago and my sister lives far away. That world is also very far away. But what I wouldn't give to be able to go back there for just one day. A most sentimental time for me. The music, the movies, the attitudes. I miss those days more than I can put into words.

by Anonymousreply 3804/19/2012

As a kid in the 60s and 70s. Especially summer nights-sleeping with the windows open and hearing the crickets, and the conversations of my parents out on the patio, drinking beer and listening to the radio. How clean the air smelled. I miss the family Fourth of July cookouts, with all my aunts and uncles and cousins and grandparents. My aunts and uncles would drink, and they were hilarious.How much I enjoyed movies, tv , music and hours of conversations with my brothers, and now I barely know them. I pretty much hate that I had to grow up.

by Anonymousreply 3904/19/2012

R38, I stated to get teared up reading your post. R39 I feel the same.

by Anonymousreply 4004/19/2012

Crying as I type. Literally.

Great memories guys.

by Anonymousreply 4104/19/2012

probably that summer of '63 I spent in the catskills with my family. i lost my innocence but bloomed as a sensual dancer.

by Anonymousreply 4204/19/2012

Damn damn damn this is the best thread in a while.

The times I'm thinking of are elementary school and middle school years. In 5th grade, a friend from Bermuda was giving a presentation on Bermuda but he knew next to nothing about his own country and was obviously making it up...my friends and I in the back of the class had to try and not laugh as the teacher was video taping the presentations for parent's night. As always, trying not to laugh become as funny as what we were laughing at.

I miss middle school and hold a great sentiment for the outlook I had then. I felt empowered, but at the same time I was very shy to make a move toward anything. I only realized how great of a social standing I had until after it was over. I didn't make any great friends, but really wanted to become friends with one guy named Jacob and we ended up eventually becoming best friends in high school where he was my first ever best friend.

by Anonymousreply 4304/19/2012

I felt sentimental about the past in my past, too. When it was 1998 I really didn't want the year to turn to 1999. I ended up finding out about the world nostalgia around that time and believed it to be the best word ever because it seemed like it was invented to describe my feelings at age 6.

I love re-hashing the middle school years with friends. Everyone's perspective/distortion/way of recalling events is so meaningful.

by Anonymousreply 4404/19/2012

As Neil Young wrote in "Helpless": all my changes were there.

I was part of some scandalous gay culture shock in a small Arizona, very Mormon, college town. This was 1976.

I came out sort of accidentally during my afternoon drive radio show on a small radio station. It was owned by two openly gay gentlemen who were from upstate Michigan, by way of the Castro. They were a hit at Chamber of Commerce mixers, mostly in a good way.

Previously closeted, life changed totally, as I discovered my sexuality and became immersed in some form of queer mutant culture. This came to town in a variety of musclebears, SM guys and other exotic specimens imported mostly to work in a boiler room sales department.

How did I come out? Someone erased a cartridge tape which contained a sports theme and replaced it with parts of Benny Bell's "Everybody Loves my Fanny":

Don't touch my fanny! Don't even try.

Because my little fanny is reserved for just one guy

No one could ever resist my fanny!

No one could ever kiss my fanny...

This was easy to confirm, so I did. It stuck.

Some horrible things happened to one of the owners, and the other went on to write a dry Harper Collins business book about edgy management methods he used with success at the station. He's consults for Clear Channel and a variety of non-broadcast companies.

by Anonymousreply 4504/20/2012

My bf had AIDS. He hadn't any fun in a long time. We went to visit an old friend of his in St. Louis and that guy did it up. First he held a party for my bf (presents and everything) at an apartment complex in the Central West End. There were tiki torches by the pool and lesbians serving drinks. Then we went to a mansion on Westmoreland Place. All gay males. We didn't know anybody but it was so friendly and everyone stripped naked in the dark and hung out by the pool smoking weed and joking. My bf floated on his back and I swung him around in slow circles in the water on that hot night, the cool water gurgling and tickling his ear. He was so happy.

by Anonymousreply 4604/22/2012

Nothing, really. I loathe cheap sentiment.

by Anonymousreply 4704/22/2012

LOL r42!

by Anonymousreply 4804/22/2012

"Suggested party game: have all your friends sit around and have each one tell the story of the magical summer when he grew up and became a man. The one who tells the biggest lie has a career ahead of him as a Hollywood screenwriter."

--Pauline Kael

by Anonymousreply 4904/22/2012

I love these.

by Anonymousreply 5011/04/2012

by Anonymousreply 5111/04/2012

bump

by Anonymousreply 5211/04/2012

My happiest time came a bit later in life. My partner and I sold our company in late 2000, and had to stay on to work for the new owner to transition to them. But work was hardly the word for it; roll in sometime in the morning, take 2 hour lunches to go to the gym, hand all the problems and stresses of running a small company to someone else, and having weekends to actually take time off! We went skiing a couple of times in the winter, then enjoyed the life where we were living in the spring. We spent all Summer packing our house and moving across the country, mostly just goofing around and having fun. Then 9/11 happened, you could no longer go "hey, let's fly to ____ for the day" without having to go through security hell (try boarding a flight 20 minutes before it takes off without luggage and having just bought a ticket nowadays). That was just the beginning of the end; Bush then wrecked the economy and the housing market, and we lost 3/4 of our net worth. But, for ~9 months, I knew what it was to be rich, carefree, and young. I'd like to do it again.

by Anonymousreply 5311/04/2012

I've never had one of these moments. I sympathize with R47's outlook, but I wouldn't call 'sentiment' cheap - I can see that it does make many of your lives richer. I do have emotional attachments to many songs - the lyrics, probably - and poems, but not broadly to any specific period of my own life.

by Anonymousreply 5411/04/2012

What the hell is with DataLounge lately? The OP's post is something about Honey Boo Boo (which I assume to be a glitch), but everyone's replying to it as if it were some heartwarming anecdote.

by Anonymousreply 5511/04/2012

The part before I opened this thread.

by Anonymousreply 5611/04/2012

R55, that's fucked up, because the OP's story was really nice, and now it's all messed up because of a glitch.

by Anonymousreply 5711/04/2012

Glitch gone

by Anonymousreply 5811/06/2012

I was part of a very large extended italian family. Many aunts, uncles, cousins so we were always partying.

Best parties were New Year's Eve. We all got together at my grandmother's house. Loads of food,laughs,lots of drama.

Right before midnight my grandmother would come down dressed up in long johns and a derby. She would sing and dance to Sweet Georgia Brown with a thick italian accent. My uncle played the spoons. My youngest uncle would then come down in drag and do a striptease. Remember that song "The Stripper"? Then when the ball went down we kids would slop around drinking all the half filled glasses while the grown-ups hugged and cried.

They are all gone now, one aunt left at 85. most of the cousins scattered around the country. Good times.

by Anonymousreply 5911/06/2012

[quote]...my grandmother would come down dressed up in long johns and a derby. She would sing and dance to Sweet Georgia Brown with a thick italian accent. My uncle played the spoons. My youngest uncle would then come down in drag and do a striptease. Remember that song "The Stripper"? Then when the ball went down we kids would slop around drinking all the half filled glasses while the grown-ups hugged and cried.

How fun. What a fun and wonderful family!

by Anonymousreply 6011/06/2012

OP how about an update? Have you since reconnected with your long lost love?

by Anonymousreply 6111/06/2012

Most Christmases at home. My mother was a machine during Christmas. We didn't have a ton of money, but it was always a lovely time and we ate like kings. She has dementia now. It's all changed. I treasure those memories over Christmas now.

by Anonymousreply 6211/06/2012

The times where I have found bonding and comfort in the face of adversity.

by Anonymousreply 6311/06/2012

All four of my grandparents were from Syria, and I have about 18 aunts and uncles, and probably about 40 first cousins. It was a large family. Whenever there was a get-together, my mom and her sisters loaded the table with TONS of amazing arabic food, and my uncles would get out the Syrian instruments and play music. I used to be embarrassed about how some of the elders held on to their old customs, but now that most of them have died, I miss it. We've become gentrified, and no longer have a connection to our ethnic past, which is something I wish I had appreciated more at the time, and I get nostalgic thinking about.

by Anonymousreply 6411/06/2012

That's sad, R62. Dementia sucks. Hope you and your family still manage to enjoy this Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 6511/06/2012

I'm not gay, but can relate to all of that since I was a similar age at a similar time.

That period from around May 1980 (first kiss) through 1983-1984 were my "wonder years." Love life picked up, music got better and better, TV was great, movies were killer, weather was nice, no internet, no cellphones, life was a bit slower, and people more intelligent.

Things haven't been bad since, but nothing tops that little slice of teen life. It's a definite blessing to have experienced.

by Anonymousreply 6611/06/2012

Bump for more great stories!

Am too stoned to post my own details right now but it involves warm, funky, family weddings in beautiful places like Mendocino, Victoria, BC, Napa Valley, and Oia, Santorini with my ex-partner, when we were young, successful, and actually still loved each other.

by Anonymousreply 6711/06/2012

R67 please come back and post! Sounds wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 6811/06/2012

Thanks for that story, OP.

by Anonymousreply 6911/07/2012

More stories please. Great thread.

by Anonymousreply 7004/16/2013

Xmas as well, in the late 80s. In rural Michigan. My mom is from a little shit town and we'd go there every year from nyc to see the family. My uncles had farms and tons of land. Snow mobiles and trikes were everywhere. I was a teenager and hung out with some of the local guys. Who were country hot. All worked out from manual labor.

We'd blast around on snow mobiles through the forests at night. Go to keg parties in the middle of corn fields. Hang out at the "sock hop" on new year's eve at the local roller rink, completely wasted.

And my grandma would always have a big brunch Xmas morning with everyone there. Then a big dinner with more friends coming over.

Every Xmas seemed like a white Xmas back then. God i miss those days.

by Anonymousreply 7104/16/2013

Between the age of 5-10 was preety cool BUT I would have to say the most sentimental were

My college years.

They were the best of times and the worst of times

by Anonymousreply 7204/16/2013

I love you OP!!! Thanks for the pic too. Kind of a sad story, but sweet too. Made my day!

by Anonymousreply 7305/07/2013

Anything before I hit puberty or before i moved to Arkansas at 10 because girls actually liked me before that.

by Anonymousreply 7405/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.