Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Queen Latifah, Alfre Woodard & Phylicia Rashad Lead The Cast Of Lifetime’s ‘Steel Magnolias’ Remake

Lifetime has assembled the cast of its Steel Magnolias reboot. Queen Latifah has signed on to star in and executive produce the original movie, an updated, contemporary TV adaptation of the play and 1989 film. She is joined on the all-black cast by Alfre Woodard, Phylicia Rashad, Jill Scott, Adepero Oduye and Rashad’s daughter, Condola Rashad.

Produced by Sony Pictures Television, Steel Magnolias chronicles the lives and friendship of six women in Louisiana: M’Lynn (Queen Latifah), Ouiser (Woodard), Clairee (Phylicia Rashad), Truvy (Scott), Annelle (Oduye) and Shelby (Condola Rashad). Supporting each other through their triumphs and tragedies, they congregate at Truvy’s beauty shop to ponder the mysteries of life and death, husbands and children — and hair and nails — all the important topics that bring women together. In the 1989 movie, the roles were played by Sally Field (M’Lynn), Dolly Parton (Truvy), Shirley MacLaine (Ouiser), Darryl Hannah (Annelle), Olympia Dukakis (Clairee), and Julia Roberts (Shelby). The remake, which is slated to begin production next month in Atlanta for a debut later this year, will be executive produced by Craig Zadan, Neil Meron, Latifah, her producing partner Shakim Compere and Shelby Stone. Kenny Leon, who previously helmed ABC’s TV adaptation of the play A Raisin In The Sun – also from Sony TV, Zadan and Meron — is directing from a script by Sally Robinson (Iron Jawed Angels) based on the play and feature screenplay by Robert Harling. “The caliber of talent associated with this film is astounding and falls in line with our strategy to make Lifetime a first stop for the industry’s best both in front of and behind the camera,” said Lifetime’s president and general manager Nancy Dubuc. “Queen Latifah, Phylicia, Alfre, Jill, Adepero and Condola are some of the most celebrated women in music, film, television and stage — and we could not be more thrilled and honored for them to bring Robert Harling’s poignant story about the strength of women to a whole new generation.” The film reunites Queen Latifah with Zadan and Meron after co-starring in two movies produced by the duo, Chicago and Hairspray, the former earning her an Oscar nomination. It also expands Queen Latifah’s relationship with Sony TV, where she is developing a syndicated talk show. Additionally, Steel Magnolias marks a reunion for A Raisin In The Sun star Phylicia Rashad with Sony TV, Zadan Meron and Leon. Meanwhile, her daughter Condola starred in Leon’s latest Broadway production, Stick Fly.

by Anonymousreply 7110/11/2012

Alfre Woodard's talent renders me incapable of being a witty R1

by Anonymousreply 103/19/2012

Girl, those names will not fly for a group of contemporary black women. "Shelby?" Please.

by Anonymousreply 203/19/2012

Shouldn't it be called "Black Dahlias"?

by Anonymousreply 403/19/2012

Condola Rashad is a wonderful actress beleive it or not.

by Anonymousreply 503/19/2012

[quote]So all the characters will now sound like black drag queens, unlike the original, where they all sound like white drag queens.

What's the difference? They all want to sound like as sassy black woman.

by Anonymousreply 603/19/2012

Will Tyler Perry direct? And which role will Sheriff Shepard play?

by Anonymousreply 703/19/2012

Queen Latifah is always involved. Where's Jennifer Hudson, she's usually a part of these things too.

by Anonymousreply 803/19/2012

It's a great cast for a tv movie.

by Anonymousreply 903/19/2012

I could see Miss Ross in the Julia Roberts role.

by Anonymousreply 1003/19/2012

What? No role for Mo'Nique?

by Anonymousreply 1103/19/2012

Poor Whitney! If she hadn't died, she could have played the bitchy Olympia Dukakis role.

by Anonymousreply 1303/19/2012

Same names, different script. Where's Anika Noni Rose? Sanaa Lathan? Kerry Washington?

I wonder who will they push for an Emmy.

by Anonymousreply 1403/19/2012

The director is gorgeous! Anybody know him?

by Anonymousreply 1503/19/2012

How about a role for Victoria Rowell? She's been out of work since Dru went off a cliff.

by Anonymousreply 1603/19/2012

Cosign r5.

Whether she's had it easier due to her mother's connections notwithstanding, Condola Rashad has put in the work and is the real deal as an actress.

I've seen her onstage in NYC twice and she nailed it both times.

I have much more respect for someone who has the connections and who wants to do the work, instead of a Rumer Willis or whoever who just clearly wants to be a "star."

by Anonymousreply 1703/19/2012

Condola Rashad is beautiful!

by Anonymousreply 1803/19/2012

Sorry, but this is racist. It should be a mixed cast, which is what the original movie should have been. It's 2012 and we're still doing segregation? Ridiculous. If you want a corrective to the film, then cast mostly African-American actresses with some roles for other actresses. But an all-black cast equals 'Hollywood is still segregating entertainment'.

I guess at the very least it's not about how whites were primarily behind the civil rights movement while black women passively baked their shit into pies.

by Anonymousreply 1903/19/2012

Alfre Woodard is one of my favorite actresses. She is so damn talented and I wish she would work more. She was the best thing about 'Star Trek: First Contact,' which you don't even have to be a Star Trek fan to enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 2003/19/2012

R19 A white cast has done it brilliantly. There's no need to recast it with more caucasians. Besides, there's not a white actress working today that could do justice to the Darryl and Julia roles.

This is great casting. Rashad is one of the finest actresses in the theater today, and I'm excited that her daughter seems to be following in her footsteps.

Will Rashad finally be able to win her much deserved Emmy for once and for all?

by Anonymousreply 2103/19/2012

She really was good in First Contact, r20, and she looked like she had a good time making it.

Similarly she was fantastic in Passion Fish, one of John Sayles' better films. She is the sort of person who seems to take great pleasure in her work and she's good at it so it's a pleasure to watch her.

by Anonymousreply 2303/19/2012

R23, agree about Passion Fish. Both Alfre Woodard and Mary McDonnell are fantastic in it. And David Strathairn was very sexy!

by Anonymousreply 2503/19/2012

R19: Every movie and play does not need to be a trip through the "It's A Small World After All" pavilion at Disneyland.

In real life, tight knit friendships are often between people of the same race. It shouldn't be taboo to show that dramatically sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 2603/19/2012

Well, I hope scriptwriter Sally Robinson rectifies Robert Harling's error of attributing the quote "If you don't have something nice to say about someone come sit by me" to Clairee rather than Alice Roosevelt Longworth, who had a pillow sewn with that quote.

by Anonymousreply 2703/19/2012

[quote]I wonder who will they push for an Emmy.

Woodard. Ouiser is exactly the kind of role they like to reward established actresses for playing.

Which is kind of a shame, because for all my intended snark about this been unnecessary, this is still a hell of a cast. I'll predict Jill Scott being the one that everybody roots for, just because I was really surprised when she turned out to be a hell of an actress.

by Anonymousreply 2803/19/2012

Oh, please, R21. Emma Stone would be FAR better than Darryl Hannah was as Annelle. I forgot-why was Meg Ryan replaced by Julia Roberts?

by Anonymousreply 2903/19/2012

[quote]why was Meg Ryan replaced by Julia Roberts?

The Teamsters union contract specified that all members would be allowed to fuck a cast member.

by Anonymousreply 3003/19/2012

I find this painfully, intentionally racist.

If any classic film made with a black cast were remade for the sole fact of having white people play the roles, it would be called out for what it is.

I don't understand the trend of black people remaking iconic films with all black casts. Why?

by Anonymousreply 3103/19/2012

If I wanted to see negros I'd go to the Piggly Wiggly!

by Anonymousreply 3203/19/2012

"Emma Stone would be FAR better than Darryl Hannah was as Annelle."

Stone already did her outsider in despair performance in THE HELP. Meanwhile, she wasn't even nominated for the oscar, but that blonde who jiggled her tits for ten minutes got one.

Yet she's FAR better than Darryl Hannah.

by Anonymousreply 3303/19/2012

Check out EW's coverage....they think Latifah is a man, baby.

"Queen Latifah will also executive produce the project alongside Smash‘s Craig Zadan and Neil Meron, with whom she worked during his Oscar-nominated turn in 2003′s Chicago."

by Anonymousreply 3403/19/2012

This sounds dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 3503/19/2012

Julia Roberts is a cunt, a self satisfied, bland cunt.

by Anonymousreply 3603/19/2012

AGAIN with Queen Latifah doin' black women's hair?

I already saw this movie when she did it and it was called "Beauty Shop".

They should rename this remake "For Colored Girls Who Need Themselves Some Relaxer When the Jherri Curl Is No Longer Enough...." and it should be directed (or at least re-written) by Chris Rock.

by Anonymousreply 3703/20/2012

[quote]why was Meg Ryan replaced by Julia Roberts?

They didn't feel that Meg sucked hard enough as an actress, so they went with Julia.

by Anonymousreply 3803/20/2012

If Latifah is playing the Sally Field role, the only way this thing is going to be believable is if the Tom Skerritt role is being played by Maya Angelou.

by Anonymousreply 3903/20/2012

Why re-do this movie? Why not just do a movie about black women in the South?

by Anonymousreply 4003/20/2012

Now this could be promising. Granted, I'll more-than-likely just end up downloading it & watching it online because I just don't find the thrill in going to the movie theater too often.

But, all three leads are actually talented actresses in my opinion. They're seasoned, definitely have experience.

Finally something other than Tyler Perry/Precious-sort of films.

by Anonymousreply 4103/20/2012

[quote]Sorry, but this is racist.

But you call [italic]everything[/italic] racist, so why should anyone care since that's all you ever say, day and night, night and day?

by Anonymousreply 4203/20/2012

Where in that EW mention are they referring to Latifah as a man? They're actually referring to the other two producers who she's worked with before.

by Anonymousreply 4303/20/2012

[quote]AGAIN with Queen Latifah doin' black women's hair? I already saw this movie when she did it and it was called "Beauty Shop".

Latifah is playing the Sally Field character, M'Lynn. The Dolly Parton character is being played by Jill Scott, so she'll be the one doing everyone's hair.

by Anonymousreply 4403/20/2012

This airs tonight on LIFETIME - 9 PM EST / 8 PM CST.

by Anonymousreply 4510/07/2012

Latifah's the one with the brown football helmet.

by Anonymousreply 4610/07/2012

I'm sure it'll suck as much as the original.

by Anonymousreply 4710/07/2012

Alfre's got the Maggie Smith part.

by Anonymousreply 4910/07/2012

You mean Shirley MacLaine.

by Anonymousreply 5010/07/2012

no, I mean Maggie Smith.

by Anonymousreply 5110/07/2012

Wrong movie, R51

by Anonymousreply 5210/07/2012

Khandi Alexander would have been a better M'lynn.

by Anonymousreply 5310/07/2012

I thought Queen Latifah did a nice job, though it was hard to get used to her being the mom of a 20-something child.

I always like Alfre Woodard but she didn't make me laugh like Shirley MacLaine in that part.

by Anonymousreply 5410/08/2012

All black cast or not, this was the reader's digest version of this piece....I would rather have have seen this exact cast do a stage version of the play

by Anonymousreply 5510/08/2012

They tried to do an all white version of the Color Purple with Reese Witherspoon as Celie, but people kept applauding whenever she got smacked around by her husband!

by Anonymousreply 5610/08/2012

Does Jill play the Dolly part? No way should they have given the part of Shelby to somebody!s daughter...

by Anonymousreply 5710/08/2012

I agree r57. I thought the casting was good except for Shelby.

by Anonymousreply 5810/08/2012

CCH Pounder should have been in there to give the movie a little moxie.

At least Mrs Huxtable didn't bring her sister with her to the auditions.

I never thought I'd say this, but Daryl Hannah was Bette Davis compared to Adepero Oduye in the Annelle role.

by Anonymousreply 5910/08/2012

I really enjoyed it. Kenny Leon, the director is an Atlanta resident.

I thought Phylicia stole the movie, right from under Ms. Woodward.

by Anonymousreply 6010/08/2012

All-Black Tea with Mussolini!

All-Black Mermaids!

All-Black The Women!

by Anonymousreply 6110/08/2012

Not familiar with Jill Scott's work but I wish they would have hired an older actress that gets less work like Angela Bassett.

by Anonymousreply 6210/08/2012

Did Rip (Truvy's husband) ever do anything nice for her at the end like in the original movie?

by Anonymousreply 6310/08/2012

I wanted to enjoy it, but it really was boring. Jill Scott offered nothing. Queen Latifah needs to learn the difference between sad face and angry face.

by Anonymousreply 6410/08/2012

I thought Phylicia's daughter was miscast as Shelby, too. She didn't have enough...juice (pardon the pun)...for the role.

by Anonymousreply 6510/08/2012

A lot of misconceptions and disjoint points in this thread.

Stating that Emma Stone did not get nominated for The Help does not make Darryl Hannah a better choice than her for Annelle (Hannah has never gotten nominated for anything in her life either).

As indicated before, Latifah is not playing the hairdresser, so all comparisons to Beauty Shop or whatever are moot.

She IS playing a mother in her forties-fifties, and not too many in this thread seem to care how terrible and unfit she is for that role, giving her one-note performance a pass, and not once mentioning that her role as an executive producer must have had everything to do with her casting. I just don't buy her as someone who's loved and cared for a child for over 20 years!

All black casts were not born out of racism, they were born out of affirmative action, when blacks couldn't even get cast as Jesus or Cleopatra.

by Anonymousreply 6610/09/2012

I thought it was nice. It wasn't the joyous cartoon the earlier version was, but it had some good moments.

I thought Rashad brought more gravitas to the role of Clairee which might not be a good thing, but it worked fine.

Alfre Woodard just wasn't cranky enough.

In a world without the Sally Field, et al., version this would have seemed funnier and more touching I think.

by Anonymousreply 6710/09/2012

If this is successful, hopefully they'll come out with an all-Latina version of "Steel Magnolias" in 2013 starring America Ferrera, Salma Hayak, and Charo; and the all-Asian version in 2014 starring Sandra Oh, Lucy Liu, and Margaret Cho.

Oh wait, maybe I'll just watch "Tortilla Soup" and "The Joy Luck Club" and call it good.

by Anonymousreply 6810/11/2012

Just watched this last night. It didn't strike me great or awful.

But unlike some of the other posters I did think a highlight was Jill Scott. I'd never seen her act before outside a video (I do like some of her music), but I could see her handling an emotional role. She played Truvy as an extremely sweet-natured girl. Her performance (over Dolly's) made me a little more heartbroken for the character when her husband doesn't treat her well.

Similar to Daryl Hannah years ago, I thought the actress that played Annelle was the most wooden.

by Anonymousreply 6910/11/2012

R69 I agree with you about Jill Scott. She also stayed in character really well and kept things up nicely with that country accent she decided to give the character.

by Anonymousreply 7010/11/2012

The remake was well-done!

However, after reading the responses this morning to an op-ed piece in "The New York Times" about the acceptance of LGBT persons in the South, I wish the remake had changed the dialogue about Clairee's gay nephew.

Read the responses and the op-ed, and see what you think...

by Anonymousreply 7110/11/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!