Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why do so many of you hate your parents? Brothers? Sisters?

I love my parents and my brothers and sisters. They're certainly not perfect, and they made A LOT of mistakes while raising us, but I love them to death. I'm going to be so sad when they die.

So, do any of you love your parents despite their many flaws? Brothers? Sisters?

by Anonymousreply 10703/05/2015

Of course OP, the Dataloungers are always great people that have been wronged by others.

by Anonymousreply 103/19/2012

I was very fortunate as well. Terrific parents who remained as dear friends our entire lives. One bad sheep brother who died. I didn't like him, his death was unfortunately a good thing for all concerned, but I loved him.

by Anonymousreply 203/19/2012

I'm also fortunate enough to have had wonderful loving parents whom I adore. Pops died a few months back aged 85, Mum's a year younger and they raised four of us on hardly any money but there was lots of love and respect. My three older sisters are my best friends in the world too. All very Walton Mountain, but you catch my drift!

by Anonymousreply 303/19/2012

I love my family too. My sisters are great. My brother can be a pain but I love him anyway. I genuinely believe that most parents do the best job they know how to do with varying degrees of success. My parents didn't always get it right, but our mother in particular threw herself into raising us. She has loved us unconditionally. I can't hold her mistakes against her. Every intention she had was good.

by Anonymousreply 403/19/2012

I come from a close family, so I love my parents and my sister.

by Anonymousreply 503/19/2012

This is nice. Can we stop now, you know, before ..

by Anonymousreply 603/19/2012

My mother is a controlling bitch who has worn everyone in our family out, including me.

by Anonymousreply 703/19/2012

My parents tried changing me (my sexuality) as a child by making me go to therapy, church fellowship, join basketball camp and play all kinds of team sports that I absolutely fucking HATED, and on and on and ON. None of this was forced onto my brothers, only me. I am 32 years old now and I can honestly say I still hold a ton of anger and hate towards my parents for all of that. Instead of supporting me and encouraging me to be myself and explore my own talents and interests they made my childhood a living mother-fucking hell.

by Anonymousreply 903/19/2012

Right on time R7. We were expecting you.

by Anonymousreply 1003/19/2012

My sister is a wonderful woman who is respected by all and has a very nice husband and kids.

She's made a point of paying a lot of attention to her children. Our parents are smart, interesting people, but not very affectionate.

by Anonymousreply 1103/19/2012

One of my siblings elder abused one of my parents and that parent died 2 weeks afterward. Said sibling now sits, alone, in the family home that they strong-armed my parent to leave to them in the will.

I HATE THAT SIBLING WITH A HOT PASSION and would have hurt them bad but I have a dislike of even thinking about prison, so they lucked out.

And no bitches, I don't give a damn about the house which is a money-pit. I hate that they basically killed my parent and got away with it.

by Anonymousreply 1203/19/2012

I hate my parents because they refused to buy me a purse that matched my fabulous shoes!

by Anonymousreply 1303/19/2012

Have fabulous parents and siblings - I know it's not a 'choice' at all, but I wish that it could be this way for everyone. We're very close and I can't imagine my life without them.

by Anonymousreply 1403/19/2012

Why are there so many homeless people? Why don't they just go rent an apartment? It doesn't make any kind of sense!

by Anonymousreply 1503/19/2012

Let's see... Where should I start?

by Anonymousreply 1603/19/2012

I don't hate Brothers and Sisters but it has gone downhill.

by Anonymousreply 1703/19/2012

Our family is somewhat crazy but I love them like nothing else. I've had an idyllic childhood with unconditional love from our parents and sister. The only dark point is my beloved father dying when I was a child.

My sister is great, even if we don't always see eye to eye. Everyone in my family reacted very good to my coming out including my grandparents. Honestly I'm glad to have the family I have, even when our Christmas dinners aren't always peaceful.

by Anonymousreply 1803/19/2012

If you were lucky enough to have parents that "made mistakes" but weren't abusive, then good for you.

by Anonymousreply 1903/19/2012

I come from a large family. I'm talking well over a dozen kids. I get along great with all of them, except one that is bipolar and he refuses to get help. No one else in the family gets along with him. I loved my parents and come realize how great people they were. My mom especially. Such a sweet loving person.

by Anonymousreply 2203/19/2012

R20, did you get lost on the way to file your biweekly unemployment compensation?

by Anonymousreply 2303/19/2012

You were told to shut up, R23.

by Anonymousreply 2403/19/2012

mhb, we're all stunned that your childhood damaged you. Stunned.

by Anonymousreply 2503/19/2012

I always thought Dolly summed up the family best.

When it's family, you forgive them for they know not what they do When it's family, you accept them, 'cause you have no choice but to When it's family, they're a mirror of the worst and best in you And they always put you to the test And you always try to do your best And just pray for God to do the rest, when it's family

Some are preachers, some are gay Some are addicts, drunks and strays But not a one is turned away, when it's family Some are lucky, others ain't Some are fighters, others faint Winners, losers, sinners, saints, it's all family

And when it's family you trust them and your heart's an open door When it's family, you tolerate what you'd kill others for When it's family, you love and hate and take, then give some more Somehow you justify mistakes, try to find some better way To solve the problems day to day, in the family

You take the trouble as it comes and love them more than anyone Good or bad or indifferent, it's still family You choose your lovers, you pick your friends Not the family that you're in, nah They'll be with you 'til the end, 'cause it's family

And when it's family, you forgive them for they know not what they do When it's family, they're a mirror of the worst and best in you When it's family, when it's family Let me be all that I should be to the family

by Anonymousreply 2603/19/2012

My sister has Asspergers, but was the favored one, my mom has been clinically depressed and narcissistic since I can remember, and my dad had PTSD from WWII and beat me with an army strap.

by Anonymousreply 2703/19/2012

R2 elaborate, please.

by Anonymousreply 2803/19/2012

I hate my parents because they refused to buy me black cha cha heels! I wanted those goddamn shoes!

by Anonymousreply 2903/19/2012

I see Dataloungers as divided roughly into thirds on this:

1/3 hate their parents and/or siblings and blame their every shortcoming and poor decision on them

1/3 are weepy old sad sacks who love their parents all too much. Well into their 50s or older, they start bawling at the prospect that someday their parents might actually die, "Oh, if only I could die before them to spare myself the pain..."

1/3 fall somewhere between these extremes of love and hate, lead lives in which every thought, every sentence is not punctuated with "Mother" and "Father", and rush to unburden themselves on any thread remotely to do with something about families.

by Anonymousreply 3003/19/2012

In the big scheme of things, I've been lucky.

I was close to my mom and she was pretty perfect as a mom. Never controlling, never critical. Dad….well, my dad is a gruff guy, but he's always been there when it counted.

Discipline? Hell, if anything I wish my parents had given me more.

I love my family, and there is no deep animosity. And they love me.

But in some ways, we are strangers. When I came out and pursued what I needed and wanted in my life, I took a very different path. So we've not ever been super, mega close in that way. We don't talk every day. I see them a few times a year.

But we are there for each other. One of my sisters died last year and we all drew together and supported each other.

So it ain't always Walton Mountain and perfection. But I feel pretty damn lucky. Knowing the abuse and control issues many others have had, I am damn lucky.

by Anonymousreply 3103/19/2012

Guess I'm the watered-down average. My parents were imperfect but essentially good parents. I neither worship them nor hate them.

by Anonymousreply 3203/19/2012

Personally, whenever someone over 30 bitches about their evil parents and siblings I drop them like a hot potato. People under 30 get a pass because at that age you are still figuring things out but at some point you just have to get over things and grow up. The people who hurt you are sad damaged people.

by Anonymousreply 3303/19/2012

What are THESE?!? I asked for cha-cha heels! Black ones!!

by Anonymousreply 3403/19/2012

R33, you are justified in avoiding relationships of any kind with people over 30 who have problems with their relatives.

There's no reason at all you should choose to be friends or have intimate relationships with people who have difficult family members.

But you may be wrong to assume there is something wrong with them.

Try having a drug-addict brother who is bankrupting your elderly parent 1,500 miles away.

Or try having divorced parents, one of whom harasses and intimidates the other 30 years after their divorce, even though he is remarried and has children and a full life with the new wife.

Try having an alcoholic parent who refuses to accept that you want no contact with him and who gets information about you from siblings, other relatives and old friends, and calls you at work.

It is understandable you may choose not to have such a person in your life.

It is not necessarily reasonable or justified for you to imply there is something maladjusted or immature about people who have not resolved those kinds of family issues by age 30.

by Anonymousreply 3503/19/2012

Sorry r35, but you don't get it. We all have relatives who, every now and then make us sigh and say "Here we go again" but when it's part of your casual conversation.. When someone seizes on every possible occasion to vent about family members, then they also have something wrong with them.

by Anonymousreply 3603/19/2012

My family's powers of denial are very strong, as you find in many families in which there is abuse.

So, it took me until my 30s to figure out there was a lot about my childhood that wasn't "normal."

I think if I'd gotten angry sooner / when I was younger, I would not have felt is as strongly.

by Anonymousreply 3703/19/2012

I love my parents and my siblings.

by Anonymousreply 3803/19/2012

I grew up hating my dysfunctional family and so did most of the people I ever felt close to.

I admit I cannot truly imagine what it's like to grow up with love, trust, and emotional support.

Consequently, I find it odd and a little troublesome when I meet adults (over 30) who are still close with and even dependent upon family members. I question if they can think independently.

by Anonymousreply 3903/19/2012

My parents were far from perfect, but as an adult I see that they did the best they could under the circumstances. They both grew up during the depression, and adopted kids when they were in their late 30's, (in the 60's). So the rules that they learned their parents were way outdated by the time we hit the age where we were getting in trouble. They were overly strict and as a kid in the 70's it was rough for both them and myself. I loved my parents, despite their faults (as I saw them).

My brother on the other hand I hate like I have never hated anyone. It scares me sometimes how much and deeply I hate him. Now that both of my parents are dead I'll probably never see him, and I can work on letting go of this crap that I've carried for so long. I'm not going to go into why I hate him, but the hate IS deserved. Tho I know I should have worked to drop it earlier, I looked at it as a way of keeping myself safe from him.

by Anonymousreply 4003/19/2012

I think it's also easier to let go of bad feelings towards people when there have been consequences for their bad behavior.

But, this doesn't always happen. My father and his wife are perfectly awful people, yet they have very nice lives and things keep getting better for them. And, they have successfully pushed the idea that other family members are "the crazy ones."

So, yes, I find them hard to take.

Contrast that with some kids from school who bullied me mercilessly. They have paid for their mistakes and furthermore have actually apologized to me. I don't bear them even the slightest trace of ill will (and in fact feel very bad for them when they suffer a setback.)

by Anonymousreply 4103/19/2012

Sharper than a serpent's tooth is an ungrateful child.

by Anonymousreply 4203/19/2012

[quote]When someone seizes on every possible occasion to vent about family members, then they also have something wrong with them.

But that's not what you wrote at R33. You said:

[quote]whenever someone over 30 bitches about their evil parents and siblings I drop them like a hot potato.

It's one thing if an adult is obsessed with resentments and anger about old wounds and events from their childhood.

But when people are dealing with a current family situation, they sometimes talk about it with their friends.

If you don't want to remain friends with them, that's your option, but it's unnecessarily hostile and probably inaccurate to imply "they also have something wrong with them."

by Anonymousreply 4303/19/2012

Oooh, IN YOUR FACE, r33!

by Anonymousreply 4403/19/2012

My father sexually abused my sister, beat my mom and all us kids and terrorized the entire family. My older brother wore glasses and once threw a quarter at him, hit his eyeglasses ad broke them

My mother pitted the children against each other and has a low IQ. Probably reads at a 5th grad level. She favored my younger brother and gave all her money to him.

I can go on with more stories....please OP don't be so naive.

by Anonymousreply 4503/19/2012

Based on this thread and several others, I think a lot of DataLoungers need a lot of therapy. And I don't mean that as an insult.

There just seems to be a lot of people who stay in family relationships, or romantic relationships, out of obligation.

If someone is abusive, or hateful, or toxic, you've got to define boundaries and stand your ground. And if the other person doesn't respect them, you should walk away from the relationship.

It will hurt like hell and you'll feel guilty and obligated - thus the therapist to help you work through that process and understand you are taking care of yourself.

by Anonymousreply 4603/19/2012

@30 you're a bitch, and F you.

@46 we've had therapy, thankyouverymuch!

by Anonymousreply 4703/21/2012

My mother used the wrong fabric softener and it made my clothes itchy.

by Anonymousreply 4803/21/2012

We speak only to our mother.

We have not spoken to any of our siblings for 15 years or more.

by Anonymousreply 4903/21/2012

My older brother felt "displaced" when I arrived.

I realized I don't hate him but I no longer chase his acceptance when it clearly is just not happening.

by Anonymousreply 5003/21/2012

Don't hate my folks - more deeply irritated by them. Does that count?

by Anonymousreply 5103/21/2012

My younger sister is a self-righteous asshole and mildly retarted to boot. She doesn't know she's mentally challenged, and my parents never dealt with it. She needs a good smack in the face, I hate her.

by Anonymousreply 5203/21/2012

I was never abused. Although my parents did make us go to church.

by Anonymousreply 5303/21/2012

I think a lot of gay people are in denial of how their families really see them. Most of the gay people I know are marginalized by their families because of their sexuality and the fact that they don't have children.

by Anonymousreply 5403/21/2012

I had very loving and fun parents. Dad lived until he was 96 and Mom was 86. I miss them both very much.

by Anonymousreply 5503/21/2012

Very obvious why r55 loves her parents so much!

by Anonymousreply 5603/22/2012

So I take it none of you have been molested, mental or physically abused, degraded, suppressed, betrayed, or raised by parents who are failures that manipulate or use other people, including their own family members, for only their 'gains.' Lucky you guys. Their are people out there that have to deal with these circumstances on a day to day basis. If you're lucky enough to have a family the genuinely cares about you keep them close and don't let them go. The rest of us have to fend for ourselves looking and hoping to that someday, dispite all of our trust and family issues that will translate into our relationships, that we will find someone we can truly love and trust.

by Anonymousreply 5704/28/2012

When I was a teenager, I used to really hate my siblings even worse than the enemies I had made in highschool. I never hated my parents but I felt a huge resentment towards them.

Then as we all got older, we all mellowed out and now I'm actually friends with all of my siblings. We're not super-close like those families that call each other every day and plan holidays together, but we do respect each others advice now and have long and meaningful conversations when we see each other. The time and distance has really helped since I moved away to another city in my 20s.

The resentment I used to feel towards my parents has also melted away and I can truly say that I love them even though we still have major differences in personal beliefs. I now feel very protective of my mom and dad, especially the older they get. I feel like I've become the parent, always asking about their health, if they're eating enough vegetables, getting enough exercise, buying them presents, etc.

by Anonymousreply 5804/28/2012

I grew up in an alcoholic household. So much chaos and despair. My dad was the drunk, my mom his enabler who eventually became a drunk. My brother became an addict/drunk and I became a drunk. I am sober now; my dad is dead (since 1984) and my mother and brother live together in one of the most toxic relationships on earth. I love them, but keep my distance. They are constantly trying to drag me into their craziness. In order to keep my sanity and sobriety, I limit the amount of time I spend with them.

by Anonymousreply 5904/28/2012

I love my parents a lot better now that they are dead. I'm sure when my sister dies, our realtionship will vastly improve.

by Anonymousreply 6004/28/2012

P.S. - but I still love my mom and brother very much and I do worry about them b/c they are still active addicts. Brother has three kids - one with a police record already. Sigh.

by Anonymousreply 6104/28/2012

I loved my mother so much. She passed away about 10 years ago. She was the one who gave me compassionate (liberal) values and raised me to respect and love others.

My dad, I don't hate, but view as an aquaintance or distant friend. My memories of him from growing up consist of seeing nothing but his legs as he sat in a recliner reading the paper. He was hidden behind the paper. That is my memory of my father.

When my parents divorced when I was a preteen, he walked away from all of us and now he gets uncomfortable if the conversation gets any deeper than "how is the weather". My feelings for him are the same as the feelings for that coworker who never speaks up and never joins the conversation at the water cooler. I don't hate but rather feel complete indifference.

by Anonymousreply 6204/28/2012

I adore my sister and my mother but i hate, i loathe, i despise my miserable, dirty, fuckingly sick father. I wish i could see him less, but now that is not possible and it poisons my heart.

by Anonymousreply 6311/22/2012

like they always say, you can pick your friends, you can pick your nose, but you really can't pick your friends noses

by Anonymousreply 6411/22/2012

I hate my mother because she's a child molester.

But I hate people who say I should forgive her and be nice to her because she's my mother even more.

by Anonymousreply 6611/22/2012

I hated my father and was glad he died when I was 13. I used to hate my mother but she mellowed with age is a completely different person now. I love the old, mellowed mom who is very nice to me. Hate my 3 sisters and brother, I've been estranged from all of them for 15 yrs now. I won't be having Thanksgiving with them today, I haven't for 15 yrs.

by Anonymousreply 6711/22/2012

My father physically and sexual abused my mother and siblings (sexual abuse was towards my sister).

My mother told me I was conceived through rape.

My mother has her loving moments and I do love her, but she's mentally ill and has a low IQ

by Anonymousreply 6811/22/2012

Damn. Suddenly I really, really, love my life.

by Anonymousreply 6911/22/2012

I love everyone in my family, except my mother. She was a liar, cheater, abuser, narcissist, and the most selfish person I've ever known in my life. She's been dead 5 years and none of us miss her. I have wonderful brothers, which helps make up for it.

by Anonymousreply 7011/22/2012

Some birth families are nurturing and prepare you to be a healthy, fully functioning adult, which is what a family is supposed to do. Some stunt your growth and cause permanent damage, and how you feel about the people who did this to you is almost beside the point--it happened and you can either try to pretend it didn't happen or it's not as bad as it was, or face it and be honest with yourself and others. I don't believe in forgiving people who don't understand what they've done to you and aren't prepared to admit it and be genuinely sorry and make amends. I don't believe in fighting with them or seeking revenge either. At some point some people just have to walk away from relatives the way you'd walk away from any destructive relationship, for their own well-being. It's not for outsiders to judge because you can't always tell from the outside what's actually gone on or the level of pain and damage involved. And yes, there are sometimes when spending a major holiday alone is a joyous relief.

by Anonymousreply 7111/22/2012

by Anonymousreply 7211/22/2012

Again, another reason why I'm glad I'm a prototype WASP. We don't do this love/hate thing.

by Anonymousreply 7311/22/2012

I love them but they can drive me nuts. They love each other but they drive each other nuts. People in general love them but they drive those those people nuts too.

by Anonymousreply 7411/22/2012

No, R73, you repress it and have heart-attacks, ulcers, affairs, addictions, and other things over it.

by Anonymousreply 7511/22/2012

Love r71

by Anonymousreply 7611/22/2012

As children,our sister was favored over ourself and our brothers, also our father made fun of our nelliness.

This is why we hate fish.

by Anonymousreply 7711/22/2012

I think that it might be unseemly to hate my brother, now that he's rotting in hell.

by Anonymousreply 7811/22/2012

No we don't R75. Maybe drink a little too much and OK maybe affairs. But you crazies who wear every emotion on your sleeve from cradle to grave do those things. In spades. All while on the latest psycho drug. Plus you're usually fat. And what's that phrase? Something about fear of success?

by Anonymousreply 7911/22/2012

Yes you sound incredibly stable, R79!

by Anonymousreply 8011/22/2012

I just went through my moms estate court battle with my four older sisters and older brother.

When people ask if I have any family, I say no.

There are the most horrifying scumbags of the planet. I will never speak to them again.

I loved my parents and they did the best they could. Considering they had to deal with these assclown fucksticks as children, it is remarkable that they survived until just recently.

by Anonymousreply 8111/22/2012

I love m mother (my father died when I was 3) and my sister to death. My 2 brothers, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 8211/22/2012

It's stirring shit to ask why people might not get along with their parents on a gay board. Naturally, most people here would have strained relationships with their parents. And most people don't get along with their siblings. Sibling relationships are frought with jealousy and competition.

by Anonymousreply 8311/22/2012

I could have written R21. I don't hate any of them but I also haven't seen any of them in years and don't miss them.

by Anonymousreply 8411/22/2012

My two brothers are great- especially the one closest in age to me. I have a sister who is just down right nasty. I haven't seen her in 11 yrs and don't really expect to ever again.

by Anonymousreply 8511/22/2012

My parents are selfish, self-righteous, destructive, Albee-esque freaks, But they don't know it; they think they're the default setting for parents. Once I was out of college I got more and more exasperated with them, and, while I didn't realize it, they were steadily alienating me. My father was especially unbearable, because he likes to try to impose his will on you and then gloats with evil relish, thinking I makes him a big man. I think he's resentful because I became a writer and achieved some minor standing. Can you imagine a father using his own son as a punching bag out of envy? Finally, he pulled one stunt too many, and I snapped and threw him out of my life. So of course that evil bitch my mother injected herself into it, and out she went to. Now, on Thanksgiving, I go to Whole Foods and pick up my turkey dinner at the hot buffet. The stuffing is delicious, and they have the thin little slices of turkey, stragglers from the major carvings, that I love. As the doctor says in Grand Hotel, I waltz alone.

by Anonymousreply 8611/22/2012

by Anonymousreply 8711/22/2012

Sorry: "it," not "I." "Too," not "to." I mistyped.

by Anonymousreply 8811/23/2012

My father makes it so easy to loathe him. I wish he could be out of my life. He affects me negatively.

by Anonymousreply 8911/25/2012

My father is an odd guy. I feel affection for him but will never understand him.

by Anonymousreply 9011/25/2012

I understand him and i hate him and he is odd and repulsive inside.

by Anonymousreply 9111/25/2012

Every time a family member dies my brother and sister seem to get richer. Leave nothing for the fag, that's my families motto. Assholes. I hate them all.

by Anonymousreply 9211/25/2013

In retrospect, I had great parents. They were very conservative and dad was very strict but they loved their kids ferociously and would have killed or died for us. My mom was always a sweetie. She was always the one I could talk to. Dad was rough and gruff and quick to whip off the belt (this was the '70s/early '80s) and grounded me more times than I could count.

Even then, I knew how much they loved me. As an adult, I realized how fortunate I was to have them. They were always there for us and we always felt safe and secure. I love my sisters and my brother, as well. We're very close. Dad and I had a strained relationship until I was 16, then he began to lighten up (knowing he had done his job).

My parents, while very conservative and not OVER THE MOON about it, accepted my being gay. It wasn't easy, at first, but they eventually came around. They never disowned me or sent me away though.

Dad died in 2008 and I was devastated. It was quite sudden and it crushed me. We had become very close in my adult years. Mom is in her 70s now and obviously getting older. She is still my love and my dear friend. I was so fortunate growing up as a gay boy in a small Texas town with a family that I knew loved me... no matter what.

by Anonymousreply 9311/25/2013

My sister started getting weirder when she got married followed by jealous and bitchy when she had kids. Maybe it is hormonal. Or she is just a bitch?

by Anonymousreply 9411/25/2013

I hate my father. Please take him away. I truly hate him. Unfortunately, I'm not overreacting. It's all his fault, because of his wicked, stubborn, stupid head. It's amazing, how negative his energy is. I loathe him.

by Anonymousreply 9503/05/2015

I don't hate my sister, but I have chosen to remove her from my life. She is manipulative, judgmental and emotionally abusive. I wish her well but I couldn't live up to her standards, and don't want to. I have not seen or spoken to her in almost eight years.

I'm sorry that it came to this as she is the only family I have.

by Anonymousreply 9603/05/2015

OP is fifteen years old.

by Anonymousreply 9703/05/2015

[quote]and they made A LOT of mistakes while raising us

While you were the perfect son. I bet those "mistakes" were not errors but done on purpose to teach your sorry ass a lesson. Too bad you CHOSE not to learn it.

by Anonymousreply 9803/05/2015

I just stay away from my family. I don't dislike my brothers one is very self righteous and mostly attached to his in laws anyway. My other brother is more kind and open but is very wrapped up in his own family.

My mother is a narcissistic, selfish woman who cannot see beyond her own nose. My deceased father was another self righteous man who could not accept anyone different than he was. He was also abusive in an underhanded way. He told me when I was a young man not to get a swelled head anytime I achieved anything. He completely disapproved of me in almost every way.

I did not even cry once when he died. I was relieved.

by Anonymousreply 9903/05/2015

Good for you, OP. I'm the only child so no siblings to hate. My mother is great and I love her very much. My father left her after 25 years of marriage for 20-something whore. He burnt all the bridges between us 6 years ago and I've never heard a word from him since. And still I don't hate him. He's bipolar and borderline schizophrenic so I let it go.

by Anonymousreply 10003/05/2015

I love these types of threads. Keep sharing, please!

by Anonymousreply 10103/05/2015

My parents did a good job raising us all but I was kicked out of home at 18 when I told them I was gay. Much more common back in the seventies. My much older siblings all had college and professional schooling paid for while I worked in a convenience store and lived in the stock room!

When they died they left 1.8 million bucks to be shared by my older sibs while I got nothing. I did pay my quarter of the expenses for the parental funerals, mind you. My brother said that it was their money to do with as they wanted, and I rather agree.

Being disowned like this has made me a kinder and much more financially successful person than I would be otherwise. I don't hate the memory of my parents, and I don't hate my siblings but we fell out of touch thirty years ago and I haven't seen them since. I am happy with my life.

by Anonymousreply 10203/05/2015

My dad and I are best friends. Mom left us when I was younger but came back and we're pretty tight, but not as close as my dad and I. No siblings

by Anonymousreply 10303/05/2015

50 year old here. I always loved my parents. They were not perfect but were good people. They were amazing in retrospect. Dad is gone now but I am still very close to Mom. I love my brothers and sisters too.

by Anonymousreply 10403/05/2015

I wouldn't say I hate my parents. I was never close to my dad. He died over 20 years ago. When I was young, I was always close to my mom, but she and I had a falling out a few years ago because despite 22+ years of time to deal with me being gay, she still is ashamed of it. She won't say it to my relatives, who all know I'm gay and don't care. She called my ex-partner my "roommate" for years. I didn't know she was doing this and she seemed pretty accepting, but I found out from a cousin in 2006 that this is what she was doing. I tried to talk to her about it over the next few years, but in 2010 it finally came to a head and I cut her out of my life for a couple years.

I love my brother, though. He's my only sibling and we were very close growing up and are still close. When he and I get together, it's as if no one else is in the room. I'm close to his wife, too, but not so much his kids. My sister-in-law and brother brokered a truce between me and my mother, but I told my mother that things will never be the same between us. To know deep down she's ashamed of me means I just can't be close to her anymore. But I don't hate her. She exhibits classic adult child of an alcoholic behavior (her mother was an alcoholic, although my grandmother had recovered and was sober before I was even born). She lives this shame-based life that I just don't understand. Everything is about keeping secrets, even though the whole world knows what's going on. Such a waste of time and energy. But I've accepted that she'll never change and we have a very surface and cordial relationship now.

I'm very close to some of my cousins, who are like siblings to me, as well as aunts and uncles, so counting them and my brother, I feel like I have plenty of family, so I don't mourn so much that I'm no longer close to mom. Both my brother and I were not close to our father, so I don't feel singled out in any way since our relationships were the same.

by Anonymousreply 10503/05/2015

My brother and I live a few minutes apart. We almost never speak. We just aren't close, and don't have anything in common.

by Anonymousreply 10603/05/2015

I didn't hate them. They hated me. In response, I have ignored them. That's all.

by Anonymousreply 10703/05/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!