Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Lily Tomlin will talk about her 40 year romance tomorrow on Rosie

Is this a first? I've never heard her speak of Jane as a romantic partner before.

by Anonymousreply 6701/06/2013

She must have some product she is selling.

by Anonymousreply 103/18/2012

It will be John Travolta.

by Anonymousreply 203/18/2012

Since telling Rosie is tantamount to keeping silent about something, I hardly see this as significant.

by Anonymousreply 303/18/2012

Love her, but she has always had very angry eyes, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 403/18/2012

I love Lily, too.

I think both she and Jane are VERY talented.

But I thought the Mark Twain Awards show was very telling.

Almost NOBODY who had worked with her or any big names in comedy showed up in person.

Fucking hag Elaine Stritch showed up and said she didn't know Tomlin, had only watched a video.

It was embarrassing. And made me wonder how well liked she is.

And Wagner gave of a huge "I'm a grouchy cunt" vibe in the camera shots of her.

by Anonymousreply 503/18/2012

Well, what happened? I didn't see the show.

by Anonymousreply 603/23/2012

You have to hand it to her, she came out back in the day when nooooobody was coming out.

by Anonymousreply 703/23/2012

Ut oh--- Jane's had some really bad plastic surgery

by Anonymousreply 803/23/2012

R7, when did she come out, exactly?

by Anonymousreply 903/23/2012

Yeah, when did she come out? This Rosie show confession is the first time I ever heard her admlt she was gay.

by Anonymousreply 1103/24/2012

I love Lily and thought the Rosie interview was pretty good. Lily seemed very comfortable and unguarded.

I have it on authority from friends/colleagues who have interacted with Lily, though: she is no day in the park. She's a bit haughty and diva-ish (which surprises people) and not overly friendly. At the end of the day, though, she always delivers the goods, which is why we love her, and why she's lasted this long.

by Anonymousreply 1203/24/2012

I was just thinking of "All of Me" and wishing she and Steve Martin would do commentary for a special edition DVD (not likely, I realize.) I imagine Martin doesn't like to talk about this one since it's where he met ex-wife Victoria Tennant but does anyone know how he and Tomlin got along? I vaguely recall some story at the time indicating the work relationship was strained but I can't remember details.

by Anonymousreply 1303/24/2012

So if she is a lesbian, does that mean the guy she's with here is gay?

by Anonymousreply 1403/24/2012

Oh, Strip!

Oh Strip.

by Anonymousreply 1503/24/2012

She came out in the 1970s

by Anonymousreply 1603/24/2012

[quote] I couldn't stand her annoying and endless Ernestine phone bitch

It is scary to me that people like you, with so little brain function, have access to cutlery and keyboards.

by Anonymousreply 1703/24/2012

If you've ever heard her Edith Ann character, listen to Eleanor Beardsley, NPR News reporter from France. You would think Edith Ann got a job with NPR.

by Anonymousreply 1803/24/2012

I knew she was a lesbian since she walked off the Dick Cavett Show after Chad Everett said his wife was his most important property. She always said she lived with her writing partner Jane Wagner. I mean, you know someone is gay when they are described "has lived with her writing partner Jane Wagner for x number of years."

I always thought it was the media who didn't want to come right out and say she was a lesbian.

I don't know anyone in my age group who hasn't known for 40 years that she is a lesbian.

One of the worst movies ever made was Moment by Moment, where she and John Travolta are supposed to be attracted to each other. Everyone knew Tomlin was gay and suspected Travolta of being gay. They had as much chemistry as a book of wet matches.

by Anonymousreply 1903/24/2012

She was "in" as far back as 1996. When the made The Celluloid Closet she was supposed to discus her lesbianism in it but at the last minute chickened out...much to the dismay of the author. She just did narration but never spoke about herself.

by Anonymousreply 2003/24/2012

[quote]She came out in the 1970s

Oh no she didn't.

by Anonymousreply 2103/24/2012

[quote]frankly I always thought she was overrated.

Did anyone ask you?

by Anonymousreply 2203/24/2012

RE 11 has it exactly right - first time I've ever heard HER actually speak the words. This Rosie format is actually good - got hard edged Chelsea Handler to cry, had good gab with Liza, Sandra Bernhard, and others.

Lily's great, but watch the " I Heart Huckabees" outtakes - she can be a Diva.

by Anonymousreply 2303/24/2012

Ernestine)Mr Nixon? This is Ernestine, with the telephone company. I show an outstanding bill of 35¢. May I enquirer to when we can expect to receive your payment. Yes, yes, I see. You're who? Oh no, don't take that tone with me. How'd you like me to rip all the phones out of the White House.

Ernestine)Mr Kosygin, yes, I have a phone call for you, from a Mr Nixon. Am I with the US government. Oh no, we're much more powerful. We're the PHONE company

by Anonymousreply 2403/24/2012

Alan Sues never came out either. Did any of you think he was straight? Even for a nanosecond?

by Anonymousreply 2503/24/2012

r22: it's his right to post his opinion.

by Anonymousreply 2603/24/2012

Lily and Jane are national treasures.

by Anonymousreply 2703/24/2012

Lily Tomlin was the Anderson Cooper of the 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 2803/24/2012

I adore Lily Tomlin, but R28 has a point.

Too many lesbians think that not pretending to be straight equals being out of the closet.

by Anonymousreply 2903/24/2012

I believe that Lily came out about 5 years ago. In LA everyone knew they were a couple. Hell, the theater program of the LAGLC in the Renberg Theater at Gould Plaza in the The Village (of the LAGLC) is named for them: the Lily Tomlin Jane Wagner. When I met Lily she was standing with Holland at a post show reception for someone. Both were charming.

by Anonymousreply 3003/24/2012

Lily has certainly spoken about being a lesbian with the Australian media.

by Anonymousreply 3103/24/2012

Edith Ann was created by Lily's former partner, Nancy Belt.

by Anonymousreply 3203/24/2012

r20 is correct, sadly. Everybody knows Tomlin is gay but she was officially closeted for a VERY long time.

by Anonymousreply 3303/24/2012

On reflection, 'closeted' is the wrong word. 'Not Out Publicly' is more accurate.

by Anonymousreply 3403/24/2012

[quote]RE 11 has it exactly right - first time I've ever heard HER actually speak the words.

Lily has been out since the 80's when she did "The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe" on Broadway. Sorry, just because YOU didn't hear her talk about it. I did, and Lily and Jane would make appearances all over the NY promoting it.

by Anonymousreply 3503/24/2012

[quote]One of the worst movies ever made was Moment by Moment, where she and John Travolta are supposed to be attracted to each other. Everyone knew Tomlin was gay and suspected Travolta of being gay. They had as much chemistry as a book of wet matches.

And this is why the closet and bearding is not going out of style in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 3603/24/2012

"I adore Lily Tomlin, but [R28] has a point.

Too many lesbians think that not pretending to be straight equals being out of the closet."

r28 here. I adore Lily Tomlin too. My point wasn't anything against Lily. My point is simply that I think there is room for some puplic figures who are gay, everyone who pays attention to their private lives - which are certainly not hidden from public view - knows are gay, because they make no steps to hide they are gay, but yet they don't announce directly they are gay. Like Cooper, who is doing that now. And has been for some time. And Tomlin, who has done that since I was a child.

Just as there is room and a great need for people like Matt, Rosie, Zach, Ellen, Portia, etc., who publicly announce that they are gay or lesbian.

Yes, I have a great more admiration for the latter. Because there is a great need for it and it does a great deal more for the community. But I don't criticize the former and I respect their personal choice.

by Anonymousreply 3703/24/2012

I think the basic problem with her comedy was that she was never warm. It's why she was somewhat popular for a certain counter-cultural period, but never truly beloved by the American public.

by Anonymousreply 3803/24/2012

Yes, r20 got it right. Note that Lily was absolutely horrified by Otweek and the new practice of outing celebrities in 1991. But so was Fran Liebowitz...

by Anonymousreply 3903/24/2012

She and a higher ups wife here in Ohio had a massive makeout session in the back of a limo in the 80's.

by Anonymousreply 4003/24/2012

National Lampoon magazine did a sit down interview with Lily back in 1987 and she admitted that it was difficult for her to achieve an orgasm unless someone in the room was eating mutton.

by Anonymousreply 4103/24/2012

Big Business is a comic masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 4203/24/2012

Big Business was the first movie where I wanted to punch Bette Midler in the cunt.

by Anonymousreply 4303/24/2012

She plays Kenny Power's mom in Eastbound and Down. The 15 second clip introducing her last week had me dying. I'm apparently the only fan of that show here tho. Off to bump my thread...

by Anonymousreply 4403/24/2012

It was weird, too. The whole interview revolved around masturbation.

The interviewer said that she heard Lily was a "dip and get out quick" masturbator. To which Tomlin responded, "What can I say? I'm a regular wallfinger."

by Anonymousreply 4503/25/2012

There's a photo Lily took in the late seventies that had her with her arms up, showing lots of armpit hair.

by Anonymousreply 4603/25/2012

I read Time magazine wanted to do a cover story about gay entertainers in 1975 but Lily would not go along. Even in gay friendly New York and Hollywood it would have been career suicide and she knew it. She released her Modern Scream album that same year. She had to wait till she was a senior citizen in the twilight years of her career to come out. Like Richard Chamberlin. You have to choose honesty or long career. I was surprised to find out Lily's only sibling, brother Richard Tomlin, is gay. When it was discovered in the late 1950's, her Southern Baptist mother, Lillian Mae was devastated. Her mom was in bed for two weeks from the shock according to Lily (real name Mary Jean). Poor thing. She didn't indicate how her auto worker alcoholic father Guy reacted. Not well I'm sure. Has anyone of you every known a family with brother and sister both gay? I haven't.

by Anonymousreply 4705/31/2012

Paul Reubens. Allegedly

by Anonymousreply 4805/31/2012

(Reply 46) I remember the armpit hair picture. It was a hoot. I believe that was in the 10-10-74 vol 171 edition of Rolling Stone. I recall there were pictures of some other new characters Lily was developing like Rick the bar cruiser. Her other big Rolling Stone cover story was 4-7-77 vol 236. That was about her first solo Broadway show "Appearing Nightly" Both available on Ebay.

by Anonymousreply 4905/31/2012

A picture is worth a thousand words:

by Anonymousreply 5005/31/2012

She was asked in an interview printed in Ms. magazine in the '70s if she was lesbian. Her answer was something like my publicist would kill me if I answered that.

To me, that is out.

by Anonymousreply 5105/31/2012

OP - Nobody's "romance" lasts for 40 years.

Relationship, sure, but not romance.

Not only is Tomlin a comic for the ages, she can act, as NASHVILLE shows.

by Anonymousreply 5205/31/2012

[quote] My point is simply that I think there is room for some puplic figures who are gay, everyone who pays attention to their private lives - which are certainly not hidden from public view - knows are gay, because they make no steps to hide they are gay, but yet they don't announce directly they are gay.

I agree. I completely co-sign the school of thought where being out publicly is a healthy thing for ANY individual.

But I also feel personally that I really don't want to know everything about ANY actor. The more they're a "blank slate" the more they can convince me of what they're doing on stage or film. This is far more common on B'way where many people are living their lives in plain sight, but it's just not on the cover of People or Us Weekly.

Regardless of Tom Cruise's actual sexuality, his personal shenanigans (re Scientology, couch jumping, Brooke Shields, etc.) diminished my ability to see him as anything other than That Guy.

I never heard her say the words but I knew Lily was doing the lez lez when I was in high school. It was awfully clear to me. And I love her work. Someone who can be clever, funny and complicated without saying the word "vagina" every three seconds, or talking about celebrities, or tired male/female conflicts. Her stage work takes a far wider view. LOVE her.

by Anonymousreply 5305/31/2012

In "9 to 5" Lily has the killer body, an absolutely wonderful figure. She was the original example of a "butter-face"

by Anonymousreply 5405/31/2012

When I was 13, I always played Ernestine as if she had a thing with Venetia, not Vito.

by Anonymousreply 5505/31/2012

She was great casting as Kenny Powers' mom. I count a TV moment as an unqualified success if it merits a mention in my parents' weekly phone call and that made it into the Hall of Fame.

by Anonymousreply 5605/31/2012

I saw a preview of the new "Reba" sitcom and Lily is playing her mother.

The show does not look promising.

by Anonymousreply 5706/01/2012

R47 Rosie has two gay brothers. Thomas Mann, the writer, had a daugher and two sons who were gay.

by Anonymousreply 5806/01/2012

[quote]Professor Moriarty

This person is quickly becoming one of my least favorite things on DL. And that includes Charlie.

Also, R29 is correct.

by Anonymousreply 5906/01/2012

[quote] Big Business was the first movie where I wanted to punch Bette Midler in the cunt.

Who doesn't?

by Anonymousreply 6006/01/2012

Lily and Jane were recently in Palm Springs where they were given a star on PS's Walk of Fame. They were quite open about their relationship and said that they are looking for a home to buy in PS. I think after a point, it would get very tiring to hide one's sexuality after so many years. I don't know how other celebrities carry it off...Tom Selleck, Cruise, Travolta...it has to be so exhausting living a lie every single day of one's life.

by Anonymousreply 6106/01/2012

If you get a chance, watch the DVD "Lily's Detroit". This 27 minute documentary is overpriced at $16.99 on Amazon but your local library should be able to get a loner copy. Lily reminisces about her growing up in Detroit. The film maker shows Lily video clips of her old neighborhood and hang outs and Lily does the commentary. The devastation of a once great city is heartbreaking to see. One hilarious story has to do with the family car. Lily's family did not have a car until she was in her early twenties, even though her father Guy was a long time auto factory worker. His "extracurricular activities" (drinking)was the cause. They finally bought a 1958 Opel. She and her brother went to a party and accidentally backed up to a tiny BMW Isetta car and hooked bumpers. They thought they were being tailgated but were dragging an empty car around Detroit late at night!

by Anonymousreply 6206/29/2012

Remember the commercial for diet Coke where the guy took his shirt off and all the women were like swooning over him. His name was Lucky Vanous

by Anonymousreply 6306/29/2012

Does anyone know if Lily was romantically involved with anyone before she hooked up with Jane Wagner in I believe 1971? She has shared with magazines and on her website a few of her high school prom pictures. She indicated her date never got anywhere with her. He didn't get to "slip her the pork". I've read numerous interviews with her over forty years and she has never mentioned anyone before Jane. She has a photographic memory for people, places, and events growing up in Detroit and her life afterwards but no mention of romance. I would think between 1957 when she graduated from Cass Tech High School and 1971 there would have been someone.

by Anonymousreply 6401/05/2013

I met her on the street as a teenager and she was sweet, friendly and very approachable.

No diva or uppity attitude on that girl.

by Anonymousreply 6501/05/2013

My ex writes jokes for her and sometimes we get to go out with her for dinner after shows. She's one of the funniest, sweetest, down to earth people. She is genuinely interested in others and I think she is a comic genius. Her Search for Signs of Intelligent Life show was a revelation.

by Anonymousreply 6601/05/2013

I would love to see all the episodes of "12 Miles of Bad Road" that Tomlin did with Leslie Jordan, Mary Kay Place, and Harry and Susan Thomason.

The preview trailer for that show was awesome.

by Anonymousreply 6701/06/2013
Need more help? Click Here.