Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

OK, what's the backstory here?

Grandson of Freddie Fields and Polly Bergen makes the NYT wedding section. Buuut....

by Anonymousreply 6505/23/2013

Freddie's daughter learned from the master.

by Anonymousreply 103/18/2012

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 203/18/2012

I see the resemblance. Poor Polly. Poor Zack.

by Anonymousreply 303/18/2012

Wow, not that there's anything wrong with going to a community college, but the "associates degree" mention in the NYT has got to be a first.

by Anonymousreply 403/18/2012

LMAO...that was hilarious. I loved the following:

- bridegroom attends community college

- bridegroom's parents recently kicked off a couple of boards and fact is mentioned

- goldigging Lt pimps out his cousin (totally inappropriate for an officer to involve himself in a subordinate enlisted man's love life)

by Anonymousreply 503/18/2012

[quote]He retired as a colonel from Walter [bold]Reade[/bold] Army Medical Center in Bethesda, Md., where he was assistant chief of pediatrics. Her mother, an allergist and immunologist, is a colonel at Walter [bold]Reed.[/bold]

WTF? Can the New York Times not afford to hire anyone to proofread copy any more? Reade? Really?

by Anonymousreply 603/18/2012

I do not understand the point of this thread. Why should anyone outside the families and their friends care about these people?

by Anonymousreply 703/18/2012

That has to be a joke. Has the website been hacked?

by Anonymousreply 803/18/2012

Exactly my point.

by Anonymousreply 903/18/2012

This is one of the most bizarre wedding announcements ever.

by Anonymousreply 1003/18/2012

R7 must not be an eldergay or he'd know who Polly Bergen is.

by Anonymousreply 1103/18/2012

FIRST IMPRESSIONS!

by Anonymousreply 1203/18/2012

I'm pretty sure I qualify as 'eldergay' here (late 40's), but I have no idea who Polly Bergen is, at least not by name.

But then, I'm not an east-coast NYC, or west-coast Hollywood eldergay, so that might have a bearing.

by Anonymousreply 1303/18/2012

No you are an under-a-rock-living-kind-of-eldergay. Turn your card in now lucky R13

by Anonymousreply 1403/18/2012

"...chiseled jaw that's perfect and regal"? WTF??

It would be more accurate to point out his resemblance to a vampire!

by Anonymousreply 1503/18/2012

"While Mr. Zimmerman was overseas, his mother had also befriended several members of Lieutenant Wende’s family, including the aunt and uncle who were Ms Becker’s parents.

In fall 2009, Mr. Zimmerman’s mother wound up spending the night at the home of Ms. Becker’s parents."

So, sometimes we use period after courtesy titles and sometimes we don't?

by Anonymousreply 1603/18/2012

I don't live under a rock. Apparently I just don't watch Desperate Housewives, or old movies.

Googled her. Looks vaguely familiar I guess, but still haven't really heard of her, and looking down the list of movies and TV shows, haven't seen most of them.

by Anonymousreply 1703/18/2012

[quote]“I could be at Fleet Week, which is like spring break, Mardi Gras and New Year’s Eve rolled into one,”

That "Fleet Week" was in Florida; not NYC or San Francisco. Fleet Week in Florida is pathetic and nothing compared to what he claimed.

Four years as a Marine and he only made it to corporal. Is he slow or what?

The only reason this strange story made the Times is due to his grandparents.

by Anonymousreply 1803/18/2012

Sorry, r17, some names are just to BE KNOWN.

One needn't be of a certain age to have heard of FAMOUS people.

We aren't speaking of "famous in the 19th Century," or even first half of the Twentieth.

by Anonymousreply 1903/18/2012

He's gay, right?

by Anonymousreply 2003/18/2012

If you don't know who the fuck Polly Bergen is, turn in your gay card. Dumbass. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 2103/18/2012

We know that most people who serve in Iraq and Afghanistan have trouble adjusting once they are discharged. That may explain why he is attending a community college.

I agree that if Polly Berben and Freddie Fields were not the grandparents, the announcement would not have made the Times. Weren't Bergen & Field Hollywood royalty at the height of his success. He managed many other people beside Judy Garland, although she is the most remembered because of their rocky relationship.

by Anonymousreply 2303/18/2012

I'm guessing the Zimmerman kid is rich, rich, rich, or the family is.

by Anonymousreply 2403/18/2012

There's nothing more contemptable, imho, than the "if you don't know X, turn in your gay-card" assholes in this world. Like everyone who likes sex with a member of the same sex has to see all the same things, like all the same things, and worship all the same things, like a little mindless conforming robot.

by Anonymousreply 2503/18/2012

How did a rich, connected Jew end up in the military?

by Anonymousreply 2603/18/2012

R25, it's ignorance. People want to force us into a gay ghetto. What ever happened to 'post-gay'? Oh, yeah. No money to be maid for HRC if we assimilated.

by Anonymousreply 2703/18/2012

Where's his chiseled jaw? He's not fug, but he looks more like a Campbell's Soup kid, and not a chiseled jaw hottie.

by Anonymousreply 2803/18/2012

[quote]How did a rich, connected Jew end up in the military?

Somebody was probably avoiding rape charges.

by Anonymousreply 2903/18/2012

[quote]No money to be maid for HRC if we assimilated.

Oh, dear.

I agree with you, though.

by Anonymousreply 3003/18/2012

[quote]There's nothing more contemptable, imho, than the "if you don't know X, turn in your gay-card" assholes in this world. Like everyone who likes sex with a member of the same sex has to see all the same things, like all the same things, and worship all the same things, like a little mindless conforming robot.

Uh, the problem was that the poster made a point of saying he was an eldergay, and then made some stupid comment about not being from either coast. If you are postgay, under 40, and not a Follies junkie, you can be forgiven for not knowing who Polly Bergen is. If you are over 40, you should know the name. Even if you have no idea what she is famous for, you should know her name.

by Anonymousreply 3103/18/2012

[quote]If you are over 40, you should know the name.

Why? If you're over 40, you have to be a Follies junkie?!?

Please. You're being a presumptuous ass.

by Anonymousreply 3203/18/2012

[quote]you can be forgiven for not knowing who Polly Bergen is. If you are over 40, you should know the name. Even if you have no idea what she is famous for, you should know her name.

Norway named a city for her.

by Anonymousreply 3303/18/2012

The grandson of Totie Fields and Edger Bergan? What? What?

by Anonymousreply 3403/18/2012

R32 Do you also argue that all birds are penguins? It is the same logic.

by Anonymousreply 3503/18/2012

[quote]Somebody was probably avoiding rape charges.

Or drug charges a la the eldest Palin loser child.

by Anonymousreply 3603/18/2012

Who gets married at 23 and 24 in this day and age?

by Anonymousreply 3703/18/2012

Is he Candice Bergen's nephew?

by Anonymousreply 3803/18/2012

My partner and his wife were on "The Polly Bergen Show" back in the idea. I win the Polly Bergen game!

by Anonymousreply 3903/18/2012

Polly Bergen is now an out lesbian.

I'm not making that up....

Freddie Fields is long dead.

by Anonymousreply 4003/19/2012

Polly Bergen was not that big a star even at the height of her fame.

by Anonymousreply 4103/19/2012

[quote] If you are over 40, you should know the name.

Oh shut UP. Do you have any idea how nuts you sound? Because a man is attracted to other men, he MUST share all the same cultural knowledge and interests of every other man who likes men? It's absurd. You're trading in outdated stereotypes because you're too unimaginative to believe that a gay man could live at the same time as you and not subscribe to the same cookie-cutter tastes that you do.

I'm 43 and I love cock, but I couldn't give a rat's ass about whomever Polly fucking Bergen is. And I'll bet you wouldn't get half of my cultural references, either, since they weren't formed by seeing "The Boys in the Band" a million years ago and never evolving past that.

by Anonymousreply 4203/19/2012

[quote]I couldn't give a rat's ass about whomever Polly fucking Bergen is

WHOEVER. It's WHOEVER.

by Anonymousreply 4303/19/2012

R42, we get it. You grew up among the Amish and have never participated in popular culture. But why are you trying to make this thread all about your ignorance? Let it go.

by Anonymousreply 4403/19/2012

TURTLE CREAM and TURTLE OIL!!!

by Anonymousreply 4503/19/2012

[quote]He’s gorgeous. He has one of those chiseled jaws that’s perfect and regal.”

HUH? He's not even decent looking. This whole thing smells of an arranged marriage. And they're trying hard to make it seem cute and real. And Baltimore College? That's where the bride is going to law school. Just go to U of Phoenix and be done with it.

by Anonymousreply 4603/19/2012

Like Dina Merrill from last week's most popular Eldergay thread, Polly Bergen was an actress in the 1950s who eventually found bigger fame and adulation as a panelist on Goodson/Todman TV game shows in the 1960s.

She was most often a substitute for either Kitty Carlisle or Peggy Cass on To Tell the Truth but also subbed on What's My Line? and I've Got a Secret.

When Dorothy Kilgallen suddenly died, Polly unsuccessfully campaigned to replaced her on WML? More often than not, Phyllis Newman got that job.

AS an actress Polly sometimes played musical roles, including Helen Morgan in an acclaimed (at least by my parents!) 1950s TV bio and the lead opposite Farley GRanger in the Broadway flop First Impressions, based on Pride and Prejudice.

Like Dina Merrill, she sometimes found herself in The Other Woman roles in romcoms like Doris Day's Move Over, Darling, a remake of My Favorite Wife.

She played rare lead roles in the first go-round of Cape Fear opposite Robert Mitchum and the comedy Kisses For My President as America's first female President, opposite Fred MacMurray as her First Lady.

Did she appear in one of those Herman Wouk mini-series in the 1970s/80s? By then, I wasn't paying much attention to her, though I often saw her face in ads in Vogue shilling for a cosmetic company that extolled the uses of turtle oil as a moisturizer.

She was the only performer in the execrable Roundabout revival of Follies about 10 years ago who genuinely shined, singing I'm Still Here.

She always seemed like a very tough broad. Somehow, I'm not surprised that she might now be gay.

by Anonymousreply 4703/19/2012

You don't have to be gay to know who Polly Bergen is, you just have to have been around a TV in America during the 50s/60s. My excruciatingly straight father knows who she is because he always notices pretty girls & she was on TV a lot when I was growing up.

by Anonymousreply 4803/19/2012

Polly is a Republican homophobe. Serves her right to have ugly, illiterate grandchildren.

by Anonymousreply 4903/19/2012

Did Polly Bergen ever do Gypsy?

by Anonymousreply 5003/19/2012

[quote]You don't have to be gay to know who Polly Bergen is, you just have to have been around a TV in America during the 50s/60s.

Just noting that a 40-something year old wouldn't have been.

by Anonymousreply 5103/19/2012

You just have to watch television occasionally in the '50s/'60s to know about Polly Bergen.

Some corrections to R47:

Polly was a permanent panelist on "To Tell The Truth" for about two years, not a replacement. She was both beautiful & witty. The show lost something pretty great when Peggy Cass replaced her.

"What's My Line" never had a permanent replacement for Kilgallen. Certainly not Phyllis Newman.

Polly won an Emmy Award as Best Actress for her role as Helen Morgan.

She had three or four successful albums in the late 1950s, most famous---her albums of song associated with Helen Morgan.

Around the time of "Follies," she did a high profile guest shot on "The Sopranos" as an woman who hung around with the mob and also had an affair with John Kennedy. She was supposedly involved with Tony Soprano's dad as well, but the more she talked Tony questioned what she was saying. But, he did help her financially.

by Anonymousreply 5203/19/2012

I remember my grandmother mentoring the turtle oil cream so I thought Polly Bergen was like Estee Lauder or Elizabeth Arden.

by Anonymousreply 5303/19/2012

Also, PB worked steadily during the 1970s and 80s. She was one of those people who guest stared on one show or another nearly every week.

by Anonymousreply 5403/19/2012

Seems to me both the bride and groom bring something to the marriage. She's the daughter of respectable doctors and going to be a lawyer (albeit from a bottom tier law school) and he's bringing connections and probably a lovely inheritance. She'll be out in LA at some firm to the stars or studios making big money and he'll get a legacy job at some agency.

by Anonymousreply 5503/19/2012

[quote]You don't have to be gay to know who Polly Bergen is, you just have to have been around a TV in America during the 50s/60s.

Well, you'd need to be in your early 50s, at the very minimum, to have been around a TV for some of those years and old enough to know the names of the stars you were watching. So the "anyone over 40 should know" argument does not hold water.

I'm 47, and while I'll admit to having heard the name Polly Bergen before this thread, I just looked her up on Google images and did not recognize her face at all. I think probably the only thing I've ever seen her in (other than possibly some TV shows when I was a toddler/preschooler) is John Waters's Crybaby, and I had no idea she was in that 'til I saw a still just now on Google.

by Anonymousreply 5603/19/2012

Polly Bergen is herself an eldergay. Sorry if this has been pointed out, but I became too impatient to read all of the posts. And too perplexed by the mother of the groom having said, "I'm going to be your future mother-in-law." Doesn't that mean that she was already the future mother-in-law? Or "I'm going to be your mother-in-law"?

by Anonymousreply 5703/19/2012

r52 thanks for the corrections and additions but I never said Phylis Newman became a permanent panelist on What's My Line?

by Anonymousreply 5803/19/2012

Polly doesnt have kids. Must be her step daughter

by Anonymousreply 5903/19/2012

He looks a little retarded.

by Anonymousreply 6003/19/2012

She was terrific in her several "Sopranos" episodes. She played the ex-mistress of Tony's father.

by Anonymousreply 6103/19/2012

Didn't she play Flo on "Alice"?

by Anonymousreply 6203/19/2012

Why are these 2 getting married so young?

The girl's parents-- both MDs-- must be thrilled their little princess is marrying some former military, community college freak.

What a bizarre wedding announcement.

by Anonymousreply 6303/19/2012

Her trashy family probably IS happy. The SIL might be dumb, but he's presumably rich, rich, RICH. Too bad gold digging is so brutal...that girl looks like she'll bruise at the slightest punch.

by Anonymousreply 6403/19/2012

Here's what's not being said. I was engaged to Zach Zimmerman the weekend he went to the wedding with his mom (PK) who orchestrated this whole thing. All she wanted was for Zach to get away from me. This whole family is a disaster, grew up with all of them.. Zach is a liar and abandoned a young boy in the process who looked up to him.

by Anonymousreply 6505/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.