Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Ok, I love MSW and I have noticed other DLers posting about the show. Here's where we dish. The bizarre cameos! The love affair between Seth and the sheriff! Angela and the Irish gangster! Cabot Cove! Eve Simpson, that harlot!!!!!

LET'S TALK. What are your fave eps? Fun pieces of trivia?

by Anonymousreply 3503/19/2013

My favorite episode is when Jessica is in bed with a bad back during a hurricane. The phone lines get crossed due to the storm and she hears two men plotting a murder. Coleen Camp guest stars.

I also love the episode where her bus breaks down at a diner during a rain storm. Someone is murdered, everyone is a suspect. Linda Blair and Rue McClanahan guest star.

by Anonymousreply 103/17/2012

I like the episode where she goes to visit either her niece or nephew (I can't remember which), and someone gets murdered. But then Jessica figures it out by the end.

by Anonymousreply 203/17/2012

At link, scroll down to read Megan Mullally talk about her MSW ep, "Coal Miner's Slaughter," one of her first job. Imbedded is an amazing You Tube excerpt.

by Anonymousreply 303/17/2012

Just for you, OP:

by Anonymousreply 403/17/2012

What I want to know - why did she never, ever have a love interest? Was she gittin it on with Seth?

by Anonymousreply 503/17/2012

My favorite episode is when Jessica is in bed with a bad black during a hurricane. Danny Glover guested as "Hitch," the former convict that Jessica beds.

It was one of those episodes where other people did the heavy lifting and they would just cut to Jessica every once in a while, still in bed with Hitch, who was telling her the story of the murder he heard about.

Diana Canova played her friend who actually did the solving.

by Anonymousreply 603/17/2012

Didn't we just have a thread on this? We were talking about the episode where Jessica went undercover as a blue collar barmaid (or something) and was wearing some blue jeans that showed off her FUPA.

by Anonymousreply 703/17/2012

I must have missed that episode, R8. Did it star Valarie Harper?

by Anonymousreply 903/17/2012

Wait, what? JB had a fupa?

by Anonymousreply 1003/17/2012

BUMP! for jb and her foopa.

by Anonymousreply 1103/18/2012

You know you can get hundreds of this series on Netflcks streaming.

by Anonymousreply 1203/18/2012

I love the way they used blatant stereotypes. Italians were always mobsters.

by Anonymousreply 1303/18/2012

I love Cabot Cove episodes. Why do the locals, like Amos and Seth, have heavy New England accents, while Jessica sounds like she's from England?

by Anonymousreply 1403/18/2012

I'm now watching MSW on Netflix. I'm on season 4 episode 13, where there is a wise "middle easterner" of few words in the plot. When the camera fixes on him, it closes in on his menacing, knowing countenance as punji music plays.

So racist!

Also, J.B. Fletcher has many nieces, and they're always catching murder accusations - at least different times in the first two seasons.

by Anonymousreply 1502/10/2013

Check out "The Days Dwindle Down." Half of the episode is footage from an old noir film "Strange Bargain," which is presented as a flashback in the context of the episode. Three actors from the film, most notably Harry Morgan from M*A*S*H reprise their roles in the present day as Jessica solves the mystery.

by Anonymousreply 1602/10/2013

God help me I love this old show, even though it's best compared to Scooby Doo.

I really think that I bonded with some 80s shows, like a duckling following a kayaker or something.

Some of the plots were built around the idea that a be-dentured guest star in her 60s or 70s was a hot number babeasaurus that all the good looking young men got nervous about. Like, it had to be mentioned many times how attractive the old bat was, or else the audience wouldn't get it.

Also, in storms, the lightning strikes are cartoon animations.

by Anonymousreply 1702/10/2013

Vot is this FUPA? I haf black card. I take 12.

by Anonymousreply 1802/10/2013

This thread was started in 1984 and still only has 19 replies.

by Anonymousreply 1902/10/2013

"Jessica Behind Bars" is the all time best episode.

Adrienne Barbeau looks eerily like Karen Carpenter in it.

by Anonymousreply 2002/10/2013

That episode also had Eve Arden as the prisoner governor who had fainting spells although we unfortunately didn't get to see one onscreen.

by Anonymousreply 2102/10/2013

When I was an undergrad, Murder She Wrote was shown in the afternoon. One time in a lecture, someone's mobile went off and their ringtone was the Murder She Wrote them tune. The WHOLE lecture hall erupted in laughter.

by Anonymousreply 2202/10/2013

I have not seen many of them, but the guest stars are fascining. I liked the one set on the plane to London with David Hemmings and some stolen jewels and the very camp Kate Mulgrew - "The Corpse Flew First Class".

I understand Capucine also guest starred in one, which was that ?

by Anonymousreply 2302/10/2013

R21 that wasn't Eve Arden.

She never guested on the show. She opted to do Falcon Crest though as a favor to old pal Jane Wyman

by Anonymousreply 2402/10/2013

[quote]"Jessica Behind Bars" is the all time best episode.

"Who Killed JB Fletcher" is a close second.

I also have to give them a lot of credit for their final-season episode where they got a dig in at CBS moving them to Thursday nights opposite "Friends" in an episode called "Murder Among Friends" where Jessica investigates the death of a producer of a sitcom about six twenty-somethings that sit around a coffee house and talk about sex.

by Anonymousreply 2502/10/2013

It's hilarious how the residents of Cabot Cove talk about it being such a peaceful little town, yet there's a murder every week. The murder rate in tiny Cabot Cove is worse than Chicago, Detroit and New York put together.

by Anonymousreply 2602/10/2013

R26 The murders were not all in Cabot Cove.

by Anonymousreply 2702/10/2013

I've recently been re-watching and the episode "Snow White, Blood Red" has moved to near the top of my list of favorite episodes.

by Anonymousreply 2803/18/2013

Hallmark runs MSW in the afternoons and at midnight during the week. They are running the first season now. Last week they ran the pilot. It had Andy Garcia as a thug who holds up Jessica AND Raymond St. Jacques.

by Anonymousreply 2903/18/2013

[quote]I like the episode where she goes to visit either her niece or nephew (I can't remember which), and someone gets murdered. But then Jessica figures it out by the end.

Thank you for providing such thorough details otherwise I never would have figured out which episode you were writing about.

by Anonymousreply 3003/18/2013

I liked the show, but when I saw the Miss Marple series, I realized MSW copied that one. Also, the show was clearly filmed in California. They would do outdoor shots of Cabot Cove, but there would be flowering Eucalyptus!! And the landscape was not lush enough for New England. It was too dry and dusty. This native New Englander could spot the discrepancies.

by Anonymousreply 3103/18/2013

R30 It's the one where at almost the last minute Jessica is reminded of a clue in an off handed way by the doc (or was it the sheriff?) of a clue that had been previously overlooked but incriminates the true murderer and gets the niece or nephew off the hook. And she goes to confront the real murderer and the doc (or was it the sheriff?) is in the next room and hears the real murderer confess to everything and is just about to kill Jessica when the doc (or was it the sheriff?) walks in to save her.

by Anonymousreply 3203/18/2013

In high school, we used to refer to a "Fupa" as a "Gunt". Although it was rarely in reference to JB Fletcher.

by Anonymousreply 3303/19/2013

It was my mom's second favorite show after Lawrence Welk. When I visited for the holidays we always watched MSW together.

I had to learn to stfu because it was easy to figure out whodunnit after the first act. At least the show didn't make you want to rip your eyes out like LW.

by Anonymousreply 3403/19/2013

R14. Probably because she IS English. I've never been convinced when she does an American accent. It doesn't much matter though, the whole thing is just fun, not Stanislavski levels of commitment. I can't say I recall any one episode as special but I prefer the ones set in Cabot Cove.

It's like Midsomer Murders, every family has on average one murderer, three adulterers, two insurance fraudsters and at least eleven victims found in various ever more bizarre and convoluted crime scenes, possibly involving a nefarious undertaker and an artists commune.

by Anonymousreply 3503/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!