Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Shirley Maclaine seems like a selfish weirdo based on her BIO episode

I just watched a Biography of Shirley M. Um...what was up with the odd marriage to the husband in Japan and only seeing her kid from time to time, in between trotting to random destinations? ODD.

by Anonymousreply 12705/30/2013

I've always thought she seemed like a bitch in her interviews. No personality at all.

by Anonymousreply 103/17/2012

sniff, sniff...

I smell Debra Winger.

by Anonymousreply 203/17/2012

Most people into that whole New Age scene are incredibly selfish.

by Anonymousreply 303/17/2012

What ever happened to the daughter she salted away in Japan?

by Anonymousreply 403/17/2012

I love her. Tough old broad.

by Anonymousreply 603/17/2012

Shirley and Warren are both utterly self-absorbed narcissists. It's as if their parents specifically raised them that way.

He, at least, is marginally intelligent, but she's pretty empty-headed. Like many people in Hollywood striving for depth but aware they are too intellectually limited ever to be well read, she became "spiritual" as a means of compensation. She's basically harmless to anyone but directors and personal assistants (both of whom she likes to fight with).

by Anonymousreply 703/17/2012

I always forget that Shirley and Warren are related! You never see them together....I can't remember a single photo of them together.

by Anonymousreply 803/17/2012

I think Beatty is the empty-headed one. MacLaine comes across as fairly intelligent in her interviews (UFO stuff notwithstanding).

by Anonymousreply 903/17/2012

Who cares how smart she is? You don't need brains to be an entertaining actor.

by Anonymousreply 1003/17/2012

[quote]Who cares how smart she is? You don't need brains to be an entertaining actor.

Unfortunately, she has never wanted just to be an entertaining actor. She has worked to be taken seriously as a lifestyle guru and a political figure.

by Anonymousreply 1103/17/2012

Their people come from the hills (like mine, distantly related) if that's any help. Lot of intermarriage up thar.

by Anonymousreply 1303/18/2012

Love Shirley, but frankly, I was alarmed by her decor. BAD!

by Anonymousreply 1403/18/2012

Anyone connected to "new age" shit is mentally disturbed.

by Anonymousreply 1503/18/2012

I Shirley mentioned one time in an interview that her daughter turned out to be totally the opposite of her. She said her daughter is ultra conservative and she talked about it like she was pissed off with her daughter. I think the daughter turned out that way because she was raised in a very abnormal environment.

Shirley and her husband had an open marriage in the 50's and 60's and Shirley screwed around with a lot of guys ,and her husband screwed around a lot. With a set up like that, their daughter probably grew in a messed up environment. Also, her daughter probably wanted to live a life totally opposite of her mother's and father's looney lifestyle and grasp some normalcy.

BTW, I do believe Shirley had a lot of affairs ,but I think she is full of BS when she said she was Danny Kaye's mistress. He was bisexual, and he mainly liked English men. Also, she said she had another long term sexual affair with Robert Mitchum. Again, another guy who supposedly was bisexual. Either she is full of crap or she was a beard for many guys in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 1603/18/2012

I met Shirley once at a wealthy family's house party and watched her be rude to every single last guest, especially those who were not in the biz. The bizarre part is that she kept denying she was Shirley Maclaine.

After a while, she was standing in the corner alone sipping her drink, so I thought it would be nice to chat her up. She had starred in a movie with my friend's mom, and remained on quite good terms with my friend and her mom so I introduced myself and she cut me off with "I'm not Shirley Maclaine". I mentioned that was a friend of _______'s and she softened somewhat, but still kept repeating like a mantra "I'm not Shirley Maclaine, I'm not Shirley Maclaine". It was *so* strange. After a few uncomfortable minutes, I said "well, you look like her, sound like her, move like her and dress like her" and she said "......she's in my family".

After dinner, she left around the same time I did, with the host saying "Goodnight Shirley" and her driver saying "Watch your step, Miss Maclaine" on the porch.

by Anonymousreply 1703/18/2012

R17, I really - honestly and truly - am not Shirley Maclaine.

by Anonymousreply 1803/18/2012

Didn't she also have a long of and on again dalliance with co-star Dean Martin?

by Anonymousreply 1903/18/2012

The rumor in the early 70s was that Shirley and her daughter were the basis for the novel The Exorcist.

by Anonymousreply 2003/18/2012

Shirley has always considered herself to be a 'free spirit,' a beatnik, a flower child, whatever is in style to justify her nuttiness.

by Anonymousreply 2103/18/2012

God #17, that disappoints me. What a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 2203/18/2012

r17, that sounds like what I would expect from SM.

by Anonymousreply 2303/18/2012

Some people are just fucking nuts!

by Anonymousreply 2403/18/2012

Maybe she just wanted to be Shirley MacLean Beaty that night, and not Shirley MacLaine the movie star, having to deal with incesant, persistent hounds like you who feel it necessary to strike a minutes-long conversation with her just because you were Noah Hutton's friend.

by Anonymousreply 2503/18/2012

R19, in her autobio, Shirley said that she had a massive crush on Dean Martin, but he brushed her off because he considered her to too much of a'boy,' the rat pack mascot.

She was an interesting actress once, and a lot of fun. Has anyone seen The Apartment or Some Came Running? Later, older Shirley got crusty (as most actors do) and lost the quality that originally made her appealing. I didn't like her in The Turning Point; liked her in Being There. I am one of the people who couldn't stand her in Terms of Endearment. This wasn't the same person as Shirley circa 1965.

by Anonymousreply 2603/18/2012

R16, I am sending healing energy your way. Open your third eye and receive it.

by Anonymousreply 2703/18/2012

[quote] The rumor in the early 70s was that Shirley and her daughter were the basis for the novel The Exorcist.

William Peter Blatty did use Shirley MacLaine as a template for Chris O'Neill, but Shirley's daughter was never possessed or anything. Blatty knew Shirley MacLaine and was pretty upfront about choosing her as his template. He envisioned Shirley in the starring role of the movie version.

by Anonymousreply 2803/18/2012

BTW, Shirley was a WAY bigger star than little brother Warren for most of her career -- 1950s, 1960s. He never achieved the high that she had during that period.

by Anonymousreply 2903/18/2012

Love love LOVE her as an actress but boy, she sounds like a nut case if [R17]'s story is to be believed.

by Anonymousreply 3103/18/2012

Forgot to say that Rita Mae Brown wrote that Shirley snubbed her and would not be photographed with her in the mid-seventies.

So much for liberal non-homophobic Shirley MacLaine.

by Anonymousreply 3203/18/2012

Friends who've had her on flights say said she was a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 3303/18/2012

I SAID Pinot Grigio NOT Pinot Noir!

by Anonymousreply 3403/18/2012

Her marriage was a joke. She and her husband rarely even lived together. Although legally married they led separate lives and slept with whoever they wanted to. A true "open" marriage.

Her husband and child were based in Japan. He had an affinity for Japan, and had a mistress there.

According to MacLaine, this is how her child ended up living in Japan with her father. MacLaine hung out with the Rat Pack; she met a lot of mobsters through them. One day a friend of hers told her that there was talk of her daughter being kidnapped by the mob. The friend told her that the kidnap plot would be a way for the mob to "appropriate your talent." Sounds nutty, doesn't it? Enraged, MacLaine told the friend that if the mob came anywhere near her daughter she'd call her friends in high places (the Kennedys) and they wouldn't know what hit them, and that they could "jam their horse's heads up their asses!" To be on the safe side, she sent her daughter off to Japan to live with her father.

As for the husband...well, MacLaine claimed that through a channeler she found out he was a complete fraud and had been stealing her money for years and putting it in an account in his mistresse's name. She confronted him and they got lawyers in order to divorce. Her lawyer figured her husband would fight tooth and nail to get as much from her as he could and they would be in for a big fight. MacLaine told him to tell the husband "he can have anything he wants (some mysterious force told her to do this)." The lawyer was incredulous, but he did what she told him. The husband, instead of asking for the moon, asked for $100,000 spread out over 10 years.

I never liked Shirley MacLaine much. She has always seemed oddly humorless and so self-absorbed. She's just a weird, unlikeable person.

by Anonymousreply 3503/18/2012

I read her latest book. She's around eighty and still drives. She rarely attends any Hollywood events because she feels she has nothing in common with the business anymore.

She doesn't suffer fools. She makes it clear that she can't tolerate pointless conversation, and if someone is just babbling on, she tells them to get to the point. There's no doubt, however, that she's had quite a life.

Actors get ridiculed for their political positions, but Shirley should be given plenty of credit. She put her mouth where her money was, especially concerning McGovern. She walked door to door in many states, speaking in people's living rooms. She helped organized rallies, she wrote speeches.

And she can take a joke regarding her spiritual side.

by Anonymousreply 3603/18/2012

Davina McCall, a British TV personality, said that the one celebrity who's been downright nasty to her was MacLaine. Must be because McCall is adorable and MacLaine is an old bag.

A story went around that abandoning Sachi in Japan with her father caused the little girl to have some horrible breakdown followed by demonic possession. William Peter Blatty used this period as one of his sources for THE EXORCIST and it apparently led to MacLaine going off on her "spiritual investigation." Yet she remained a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 3703/18/2012

I remember watching her "Out on a Limb" mini-series on TV as a kid. Wasn't there something in the movie about her spiritual guide, played by John Heard, claiming to be a space alien or something?

by Anonymousreply 3803/18/2012

"Must be because McCall is adorable and MacLaine is an old bag."

Oh, yeah. There couldn't possibly be any other reason. Right.

by Anonymousreply 3903/18/2012

I love Shirley, fruitcakes and all. I've always found her to be wildly entertaining.

To be an actor in general, you've got to have a few screws loose somewhere up there. If we knew the "true" personalities of all actors, with their quirks, peccadillos, flaws and unconventionalities, there wouldn't be enough threads on DL to discuss them all. Shirley just happens to be one of those who isn't afraid to put it all out there, regardless of how it makes her look.

So big deal.

She's fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 4003/18/2012

David Letterman hates her.

by Anonymousreply 4103/18/2012

Uhhh, yeah, R39/smartass, sometimes it is as simple as that. McCall is still fairly young and is enormously likeable and attractive (she's got a really hot hubby). Why wouldn't MacLaine be jealous of her, douchenozzle? Perhaps you're "past it" yourself and refuse to grasp the concept.

by Anonymousreply 4203/18/2012

R17, best laugh of the day. What a hilarious tale. I totally believe you. I have heard (albeit third or fourth hand) that Diane Keaton is another one who under any non-showbiz situation also denies who she is.

by Anonymousreply 4403/18/2012

Why would stars such as Maclaine and Diane Keaton WANT to deal with common people at parties if they were not in the mood? I love Shirley and always have. She always knew how to BE a movie star. You don't have to be nice all the time. You get to BE petulant sometimes, and refuse autographs and ignore people. That's what being a MOVIE STAR used to be about, anyway. They were American royalty. We loved to BE "snubbed" by them as they glided past in their furs and jewels. It was a delicious act. Now, we demand that stars (and there are no more stars, of course) be nice all the time and "one of us." We want them all to be loveable and cuddly and friendly. Well, they are NOT one of us and that should be why they are stars.

The whole star system is long gone. Now, it's all reality idiots and everyone famous for fifteen minutes. No wonder Shirley has nothing in common with the industry.

by Anonymousreply 4503/18/2012

"Why wouldn't MacLaine be jealous of her, douchenozzle? Perhaps you're "past it" yourself and refuse to grasp the concept."

Don't be silly. There are a myriad of reasons why anyone could dislke someone else. To assume with certainty that MacLaine, a hugely successful actress, could only dislike a reporter because she's "pretty" is simple-minded and reactionary.

As for me being "past it", whadda you know about it, genius?

by Anonymousreply 4603/18/2012

[quote]David Letterman hates her.

The feeling is mutual. Does anyone else remember Letterman razzing her about her New Agey stuff? Maclaine glared at him and said, "Cher was right. You *are* an asshole."

by Anonymousreply 4703/18/2012

Shirley should watch this:

by Anonymousreply 4803/18/2012

She trashed Cameron Diaz and Toni Collette during the promotion of In Her Shoes. Shirley was aghast that the girls didn't bow at her feet and beg for Hollywood career advice. Apparently, Shirley was ignored and she did NOT appreciate that.

by Anonymousreply 4903/18/2012

Many people in Santa Fe came to despise her, and for good reason.

She decided she wanted to build a house on top of a mountain that had been restricted from development. When she wasn't allowed to do so, she left in a huff. Good riddance.

The linked article quotes her as saying she wanted her house there because she is queen of the mountain.

She is definitely a legend in her own mind.

by Anonymousreply 5003/18/2012

[R49]: quotes?

by Anonymousreply 5103/18/2012

R25 That does sound like you, Cuz

by Anonymousreply 5203/18/2012

She comes off to me as a miserable and unhappy person.

by Anonymousreply 5303/18/2012

The story about the daughter at R35 sounds like a big, fat, self-serving lie. Instead of a neglectful mother, it makes Shirley sound like a heroic, protective, mother who was willing to stand up to the mob!

Did she make a habit of lying about herself?

by Anonymousreply 5403/18/2012

Did she make a habit of lying about herself?

R54, your answer to that question is read her autobiography.

by Anonymousreply 5503/18/2012

I think she's tremendous!

by Anonymousreply 5603/18/2012

I have to acknowledge Shirley Maclaine for her role in my realizing I'm an atheist. Right out of college, I got a job at a mental health facility where some staff believed her Out on a Limb stuff and talked about it ad nauseam. I made some comment about the incredulity of the concepts and someone said that Christianity is just a set of beliefs and asked what made them more valid. Didn't get into further discussion, but it was really a moment of epiphany for me. All of these things are human constructions created to understand an often scary and uncontrollable world and impose some orderliness, a false sense of cause and effect so that we feel control.

by Anonymousreply 5703/18/2012

So because Danny Kaye and Robert Mitchum were bisexual she couldn't have had an affair with them? Did I miss something?

by Anonymousreply 5803/18/2012

I'm another one who loved Shirley in most of her early kooky roles. I'd also mention Hitchcock's The Trouble With Harry and Ask Any Girl, a Mad Men style romcom from the late 50s.

She also starred (inexplicably!) as an Indian Princess in Distress in Mike Todd's fabulous Around the World in 80 Days. Has anyone ever explained how that casting came to be?!

But she did grow sour and hammy in later years (Two Mules for Sister Sara, anyone?) and I especially hated her overly obvious performance in Terms of Endearment.

The one exception in her later films that I did love was Postcards From the Edge in which I suspect she played very close to home.

by Anonymousreply 5903/18/2012

R45, I agree with you, but I think movie stars had mystique than these jokers now a days. Also, mystique gave movie stars in the past, longevity verses these fly by nights now a days. Another factor is they were all unique, and they were their own individual person. There was only one Fred Astaire, one Judy Garland, and one Carey Grant, on and on. When you saw them, there was no question who they were because you knew it from the very beginning. Now they all look similar or the same. People now have to ask, is that actor or actress? Also, They were not highly accessible as they are now. Movie stars in the past did not go out of their way to connect with the average person, but they were very gracious and very well mannered and appreciative to their fans.

They understood how to play the game of fame, and they knew that being a public figure came with the territory. They didn't bitch about the press, and their lack of privacy once they got to the top of the ladder. The so called movie stars today, which in reality the term movie star is long gone, dress like slobs, they shop at local supermarkets, Target, etc. verses years ago a star had their maids and staff do their average shopping. The so-called gorgeous movie stars of today look like your average next-door neighbor. Years ago when they were gorgeous, studs, hunks, stunning etc. they were over and above the real deal.

What is sad is a huge percentage of the younger generations are not interested in old films. They don't even recognize the monumental movie stars who have been a pinnacle part of the American cultural fiber for decades. The younger generations are being screwed, and they don't even know it. They can't comprehend that they are being screwed because this destructive, bland, dull system in the film industry has been around for a long time, and has redefined the whole film and movie star system to the point they have brain washed the masses.

A final thought. The movies of the past were there to entertain people. The audience used to go the films to escape reality and it was an outlet to de stress from the hectic daily grind. Now, films are on a constant roll of reality, and the audience can't escape from reality anymore. Also, Hollywood wasn't trying to push a personal agenda through their movies. Again, they were just trying to entertain the public. Movie stars back then had personal strong opinions just like anyone else, but they did not use their fame to manipulate the viewers to see things their way. We are way too serious now a days and they film industry is just a machine.

by Anonymousreply 6003/19/2012

Maybe she is crazy, bat shit nuts, but she is an excellent actress-always entertaining. Her 'Terms' and 'Postcard' rolles are amazing. She's big in certain scenes, yes, but thats why she's always interesting. She pulls it way back, in others, and gets to you. The last scene in the hospital rooms, in both films are beautifully done. And I challenge any other actress, of her age, to let themselves appear as she did in 'Postcards', no make-up, no wig, looking horrible. That took balls.

by Anonymousreply 6103/19/2012

Worked with her on "Steel Magnolias" though hardly got to know her well (who did?). Cold, cold, cold... but you know what? Like Faye Dunaway and others from long forgotten eras, it fit her somehow, felt like old time movie star behavior. Didn't bug me really.

Not so bad that it kept me from enjoying her film work, past or present. When I REALLY hate them from real life (like a certain ex-sitcom star), I literally race to turn the channel if they are on, throw out their movies if I have any, etc. Hasn't happened often though. Though see a certain Best Supporting Actress nominee from 1982...

by Anonymousreply 6203/19/2012

she would have made a good norma desmond in her time

by Anonymousreply 6303/19/2012

I've never seen the attraction of McLaine - she got the career that dancers like Chita Rivera or Gwen Verdon should have had ... there is just nothing interesting about her to me. Ok she is fine in The Apartment, but I can't bear her in Some Came Running, and wild horses could not drag me to something like Irma La Douce .... her contemporaries who all began about the mid 50s like Lee Remick, Eva Marie Saint, Joanne Woodward and the grownup Natalie Wood are all more attractive.

by Anonymousreply 6403/19/2012

The daughter, Sachi Parker, is a beautiful woman--prettier than her mother ever was, IMO. She tried to make it as an actress but only ever got tiny roles. She's in her mid-50s now.

by Anonymousreply 6503/19/2012

She represented Everygirl. She was never trying to be glamorous. Not even as a French prostitute in Irma La Douce or Can Can.

by Anonymousreply 6603/19/2012

I look forward to her coming onto "Downton Abbey." As a public personality she's a pain in the ass, but as an actress she's very good and she's got great comic timing.

by Anonymousreply 6703/19/2012

[quote]she got the career that dancers like Chita Rivera or Gwen Verdon should have had

If they had access to prettier faces and toned down their theatrical mugging ways (I'm a fan of both - but they belong(ed) on the stage).

[quote]her contemporaries who all began about the mid 50s like Lee Remick, Eva Marie Saint, Joanne Woodward and the grownup Natalie Wood are all more attractive.

Except they couldn't dance, and most could barely sing. And, as a triple threat, musicals were Shirley's door in.

by Anonymousreply 6803/19/2012

R62, you mean Shelley Long, right? That bitch was a fucking nightmare on set.

by Anonymousreply 6903/19/2012

by Anonymousreply 7003/19/2012

Nope but good guess, R69, same era more or less but younger. CBS vs. NBC. Multi Emmy nominee with sweet image but truly disgusting -- though, granted, I am from her first husband's "side of the family". The nicest guy on the planet and she DESTROYED him, turned him into a mess. I literally want to retch when I hear her name -- and she continues to get D level work somehow. Lousy actress on top of everything else. Ugh.

(Needless to say, we are not talking about Shirley MacLaine here. Though this actresss could've easily been in "Steel Magnolias" too. Hint hint).

by Anonymousreply 7103/19/2012

#71, Jean Smart??

by Anonymousreply 7203/19/2012

On the right track... but younger. Much younger. Seemed even younger then. :)

by Anonymousreply 7303/19/2012

The daughter was on a recent episode of "Selling New York" Cannot deny she is her Mother's daughter.

by Anonymousreply 7403/19/2012

("Would've played Shelby" younger if that helps). And always looked at me suspiciously like I was trying to get into her husband's pants or something. Again, he was the greatest guy but no. Hideous woman.

by Anonymousreply 7503/19/2012

[quote]Worked with her on "Steel Magnolias" though hardly got to know her well (who did?). Cold, cold, cold... but you know what? Like Faye Dunaway and others from long forgotten eras, it fit her somehow, felt like old time movie star behavior. Didn't bug me really.

Isn't she a Method actress? Let's face it Ouiser Boudreaux is the bitchiest of them all.

by Anonymousreply 7603/19/2012

The girl who played Stephanie on Newhart?..

I'm getting some southern show/sitcom vibe from your clue. Is she blonde? MORE HINTS!!!

This is too much fun!

Was the Oscar nominee from 1982 , Leslie Anne Warren?

by Anonymousreply 7703/19/2012

80's/90's emmy nominated sitcom star who could have played SHelby... Let me RESEARCH!!!

by Anonymousreply 7803/19/2012

Julia Duffy from Newhart? (and later Designing Women?) - A multiple supporting actress nominee who never won, and Newhart started in '82 ...

If not. I'm going with Faith Ford, but I've always heard she's a nice girl...

by Anonymousreply 7903/19/2012

Getting so warm, your fingers are tingling, R77. But, no, never met Julia Duffy or whatever. You're heading the right direction (South).

And, no, never met Cinderella Warren either. Just as well, I would've been soooo disappointed if she had turned out to be a nightmare. Keep going down the list, ha.

by Anonymousreply 8003/19/2012

And both are D List now- Lifetime type films.

by Anonymousreply 8103/19/2012

You better not be the poster who hates MY Jessica Lange. I cant imagine Sissy Spacek being a cunt!

Back to the comedy actresses...

by Anonymousreply 8203/19/2012

Love her, smart, smart lady

by Anonymousreply 8303/19/2012

ha, no, not Lange and not Spacek (1982 Oscar nom?) I have told this story way too many times on DL so will refrain, ha. But you're on the right list with Jessica.

by Anonymousreply 8403/19/2012

Just realized you are right, Spacek up for "Missing" that year -- but different category. See other list Lange is on.

by Anonymousreply 8503/19/2012

OH MY GOD TERRI GARR WAS A CUNT!? I don't remember this story.

This emmy nominated comedy actress from the 80's IS PISSING ME OFF.

I'm on the goddamned Emmy website trying to scroll through their slow ass website.

MY god the 80's were boring, the comedy emmy nominees were always Rhea Fucking Perlman, Julia Duffy, Candace Bergen, the Golden Girls, Blair Brown... There is simply no actress there who could of played Shelby in Steel Fucking Magnolias. I am a researcher by nature and this one has thrown me for a loop. One more clue, dearest heart?

by Anonymousreply 8603/19/2012

The Emmy nominees for Outstanding performance by a supporting actress in a comedy series, 1982:

*Loretta Swit – M*A*S*H as Maj. Margaret Houlihan (winner)

*Eileen Brennan - Private Benjamin as Cpt. Doreen Lewis

*Marla Gibbs - The Jeffersons as Florence Johnston

*Andrea Martin - SCTV Network 90 as various characters

*Anne Meara - Archie Bunker's Place as Veronica Rooney

*Inga Swenson - Benson as Gretchen Kraus

for Outstanding performance by a supporting actress in a drama series, 1982:

*Nancy Marchand – Lou Grant as Margaret Pynchon (winner)

*Barbara Bosson - Hill Street Blues as Fay Furillo

*Julie Harris - Knots Landing as Lilimae Clements

*Linda Kelsey - Lou Grant as Billie Newman

*Betty Thomas - Hill Street Blues as Sgt. Lucille Bates

for Outstanding performance by a supporting actress in a miniseries or TV movie:

*Penny Fuller – The Elephant Man as Mrs. Kendal (winner)

*Claire Bloom - Brideshead Revisited as Lady Marchmain

*Judy Davis - A Woman Called Golda as Golda Myerson/Meir

*Vicki Lawrence - Eunice as Thelma "Mama" Harper

*Rita Moreno - Portrait of a Showgirl as Rosella DeLeon

by Anonymousreply 8703/19/2012

It has to be either Anne Meara or Vicki Lawrence.

There have been stories posted here about them, and none of them pleasant.

by Anonymousreply 8803/19/2012

Two different actresses. The 1982 one was Oscar nominated.

You ever see "The Last of Sheila", the great movie written by Tony Perkins and Stephen Sondheim? Where they'd play a game and once it was solved a card would be posted that said "THE GAME IS OVER"?

"THE GAME IS OVER". Someone already got the Emmy one right too. (Beware those America's Sweethearts... they are always the worst, ha). See particularly awful cover story in the ENQUIRER long ago that would've been hilarious if I hadn't known and loved the guy involved.

by Anonymousreply 8903/19/2012

by Anonymousreply 9003/19/2012

12/19/1995 National Enquirert $9.99 tThis is the December 19, 1995, Vol. 70, No. 22 issue of National Enquirer magazine. 48 pages. Articles and photos include Princess Diana, Wynonna Judd, Oprah Winfrey, Roseanne Barr, Tom Arnold, Jermaine Jackson, Randy Jackson, Joe Jackson, Jane Seymour, James Keach, Candace Cameron of Full House, Valeri Bure, Ted Danson in Gulliver's Travels, O.J. Simpson, Justin Simpson, Louis Malle, Candice Bergen and Faith Ford of Murphy Brown, Lea Thompson and Eric Lutes of Caroline in the City, Jason Priestley, Johnny Cash, Debbie Reynolds, Kelsey Grammer and Eddie of Frasier, Chelsea Clinton, Martha Stewart, Tonya Harding, Ivana Trump, Melanie Griffith, Antonio Banderas, Whoopi Goldberg, Frank Langella, Jeff Goldblum.

by Anonymousreply 9103/19/2012

I always heard that Faith Ford was a bitch. On HOPE & FAITH Kelly Ripa was adored and Faith Ford was LOATHED by the crew. Yeah, she'd have made a good Shelby. I remember when she played Julia on the soap ANOTHER WORLD.

You WERE joking about hoping Lesley Ann Warren wouldn't be a nightmare, right? Because she certainly is.

by Anonymousreply 9203/19/2012

Cannot we not all agree that Lesley Ann Warren is, at least, the 1982 Best Supporting Actress nominee who is the former poster's nightmare?

by Anonymousreply 9303/19/2012

No, because he explicitly said it was not Lesley Ann Warren. Read the thread again.

by Anonymousreply 9403/19/2012

ha, no, little suspense on the 1982 one... it was Teri Garr who literally stared a hole through me when I told her I liked her work. And this was NOT on a street or in a mall or anything that might scare her -- but inside a conference room at Tri-Star for a table read of a script that i was a part of professionally.

It wasn't just rude, it was also.. weird, under the circumstances. I could've been the producer for all she knew.

Later she wrote of meeting a director (David Russell) and how after five minutes, he said, "You're not like you are in the movies." And excused her. My sentiments exactly!

by Anonymousreply 9503/20/2012

And the sitcom actress was Faith Ford?

by Anonymousreply 9603/20/2012

I would've made a good Ouiser.

by Anonymousreply 9703/20/2012

Was it Ford? I seem to recall something with her first husband being a drunk and it was all over the tabs for awhile.

by Anonymousreply 9803/20/2012

"The daughter, Sachi Parker, is a beautiful woman--prettier than her mother ever was."

I disagree with that. She looks a lot like her mother; reddish hair, tiny eyes, but with a longer face and larger nose. Not beautiful.

When she was a small child, MacLaine used her as a publicity prop. I've seen a lot of the pictures of them together, mother and daughter mugging for the camera for all they're worth. It reminded me of how Joan Crawford would parade around with Christina in matching outfits for the benefit of the camera.

In the book "The Exorcist" Sharon asks Chris (MacLaine) why her ex-husband is such an absent father. Chris tells her it's resentment: "it was always me and Rags on the magazine covers, mother and daughter, pixie twins." Then she lapses into hippie-speak "it's hard to get hacked with him Sharon, I just can't." Obviously William Peter Blatty drew that exchange from real life.

by Anonymousreply 9903/20/2012

What the fuck is the point of making people guess something that you're posting anonymously?

by Anonymousreply 10003/20/2012

r99 what the hell does "it's hard to get hacked with him" mean? That is hippy speak for what exactly?

by Anonymousreply 10103/20/2012

Was there a prior relationship between MacLaine and Blatty, professional or otherwise, that caused him to base The Exorcist's Chris on her?

by Anonymousreply 10203/20/2012

to hear Shirley tell it:

Blatty was a house guest of hers and they had philosophical debates about the nature of evil. This was before Shirley got involved with metaphysics and I think she was basically an agnostic or an open non-believer. Blatty wrote the book in response to those conversations and modeled the main character after Shirley and the guirl after her daughter.

The cover of the book is actually a photo Blatty took of Sachi on the set of the Children's Hour. I don't know what the nature of their relationship was.

Shirley was offered and declined the film because she didn't like the beliefs

by Anonymousreply 10303/20/2012

Go away, contrarion cunt at R100... it was buried in another post and folks started guessing, turned into a game of sorts. You don't want to "play", go fuck off.

There's one on every thread (and in every bar).

by Anonymousreply 10403/20/2012

No queen who quotes an old Sondheim film should accuse another of being "the one" in any thread OR bar.

by Anonymousreply 10503/20/2012

[quote]Shirley was offered and declined the film because she didn't like the beliefs.

Horsehit, she didn't do "The Exorcist" because she had done her own possession film the year before. Your hypothesis is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 10603/20/2012

wow r106, a little bit over invested?

by Anonymousreply 10703/20/2012

"what the hell does "it's hard to get hacked with him" mean? That is hippy speak for what exactly?"

I have no idea what it means. I suppose she meant "it's hard for him to deal with", but she was using the language of the day to express herself (I got the feeling that Chris MacNeil wasn't very bright). As for the hippie-speak...back in those days people said things like "groovy" and "what's your bag?" and the word "bread" meant "money." Nutty, huh?

by Anonymousreply 10803/20/2012

[quote]Your hypothesis is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 10903/20/2012

R99 I just did an image search on Sachi. The many prop like photos of her as s little girl with her mother make me sad. They are all so playful but staged and I wonder if Shirley was sweet and playful with her goofy looking little girl when Life photographers were not around.

by Anonymousreply 11003/20/2012

at the risk of putting r106 over the brink, this is from IMDB:on the Excorcist page

"Jane Fonda and Shirley MacLaine were approached to play the role of Chris MacNeil. Audrey Hepburn was also approached and only agreed to do it if it was filmed in Rome. Anne Bancroft was another choice but she was in her first month of pregnancy and was dropped. "

from another source online:

After Jane Fonda and Shirley MacLaine both turned Friedkin's request down with outright disgust, the part of Chris MacNeil was pitched to Audrey Hepburn and Anne Bancroft. The former agreed to do the part only if the film was shot in Rome while the latter was in the first trimester of her pregnancy.

by Anonymousreply 11103/20/2012

Hippy speak: hacked = pissed off

by Anonymousreply 11203/20/2012

In my mind, I can only hear the Punchy Players version, with Audrey cooing, "Only if you film it here in Rooome!"

by Anonymousreply 11303/20/2012

Yeah, its definitely Faith Ford. I went to IMDB and it makes sense. It looks like they were married nearly the entire time she was on Murphy Brown and divorced soon thereafter. And she IS a HORRIBLE actress (beyond the Corky character, which she lucked out with).

by Anonymousreply 11403/20/2012

Your mothers all suck cocks in hell!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 11503/20/2012

Wasn't THe Exorcist a HUGE bestseller? Was the film cast and planned before the book came out, as sometimes happens? That's the only reason I can imagine some of these actresses turning it down....because they didn't know yet how hot the property was.

by Anonymousreply 11603/20/2012

They turned it down because the horror genre still had a considerable amount of stigma attached to it and it wasn't something "star" actresses considered routinely.

The other aspect of it was, despite the book being a best seller the very real possiblity existed of the movie being absolute crap and camp and it could torpedo the career of a middle aged movie actress headlining such a turkey.

On paper it probably looked risky because with those kind of special effects and sensational scenes that involve a child if it went wrong, it might be the type of thing you couldn't recover your career from.

by Anonymousreply 11703/21/2012

Shirley and Warren Beatty must have different fathers or something. They look NOTHING alike. Not even a resemblance. With Shirley's daughter's tell-all book coming out, I don't know why they have kids.

Look how screwed up Hollywood children are: *Jane Fonda's dad was cold and her mother suffered from mental illness.

*Tatum O'Neal's beautiful mother, mentally gone. Unfit parents.

*Joan Crawford, mean as hell but wanted to put on a good "mommy" face for Hollywood. She was an unfit parent.

*Nicole Ritchie said her mother Brenda was in bed for months with depression after finding out about Lionel's cheating so Nicole raised herself. No wonder she got on heroin.

*Paris Hilton's extended family said she lived rich but with no boundaries.

*Look at the life Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown lived in front of their daughter. OMG! One driver said he was disgusted seeing them do drugs in front of their young daughter in the car! I wonder why he didn't call the cops? He couldn't. Celebs get away with everything.

*I was disheartened to find out that Andy Griffith was a horrible father in real life too!

*Mary Tyler Moore was a horrible mother. Her ex said when their son died she called him to find out where his grave was. He said she was very neglectful to him growing up.

*Lucille Ball was a horrible mother too. Her daughter said a few things in the media after Lucy died (I think she was fishing for a book) but the public reaction was not good. Fans did not want to hear anything bad about Lucy. Lucille's friends even said she was a workaholic and had no time for her children. One friend said she never, ever saw Lucy play with her kids. Chasing after philandering Desi I guess she had no time either. Desi was an alcoholic but Lucy looked like one too. She probably drank herself numb in that crazy marriage. In Barbara Eden's bio she said she felt so sorry for Lucy because any female guest stars on the show, Desi was after them right in front of her. There's a young lady in NY who claims to be the granddaughter of Lucy and Desi. From the evidence I believe her. However, her mother may have been Desi's child by someone else. The mother looked more like Desi than his children with Lucille!

TV gives us great stories but it is so sad to hear these actors were bad parents in real life. Gone on location for months. Working 18 hrs days. Who's raising the kids? Not their parents that's for sure. Children deserve more than mansions and getting anything they want. It's like they DID share their parents with the world but got crumbs.

by Anonymousreply 11812/21/2012

I loved it when she won the Academy Award and said "I deserve it" for a movie that would have been Lifetime fodder... if Debra Winger hadn't given the performance she gave.

by Anonymousreply 11912/28/2012

Sachi Parker will appear on 20/20 on February 1st to talk about her memoir, Lucky Me: My Life With and Without my Mother, Shirley Maclaine. Elizabeth Vargas does the interview. Sounds juicy. Can't wait!

by Anonymousreply 12001/26/2013

I just watched the daughter do an interview about her new book. She talked about how she only saw her mother once a year for 20 mins or so... how her mother and father never came to pick her up at christmas time from boarding school... The daughter had to work as a waitress, she didn't have enough money to go to college... really... that is the biggest sin... really Shirley how could you... I have lost all respect for Shirley... It's seems like her child was only good for a photo op... Hopefully she will see how her selfishness has ruined her child's life and try to make amends... especially with her grandchildren...

by Anonymousreply 12102/01/2013

What were Shirley and Warren Beatty's parents like?

by Anonymousreply 12202/01/2013

R122 from the books I've read they seemed ok.

by Anonymousreply 12302/01/2013

If you rent the "Postcards" DVD and use the section where actors comment on the movie as it plays, the author of Postcards ( Carrie Fisher) comments throughout the movie.

When Shirley Maclaine comes into the film, Carrie begins to giggle uncontrollably in her comments and spills the beans and says that when Shirley found out she was NOT nominated for Best Supporting Actress by the Academy, that she was absolutley livid!!

by Anonymousreply 12402/02/2013

I just watched "What a Way to Go" and really enjoyed it. Shirley was adorable in this and it was fun to see her dance with Gene Kelly

I always loved her in Sweet Charity too. I think as a younger actress she had a sweetness that transcended even her playing some pretty messed up characters, like Charity, and the suicidal girl in The Apartment.

I think as an older actress, despite who crusty and tough she seemed, she always had an underlying vulnerability, and I think this is her appeal.

And as far as Postcards From the Edge goes, I think it is shame she didn't get a nom for that. She was brilliant in that part.

No doubt she is a nut job, and probably difficult and likely not a great mom, but I don't have a lot of trust in these celeb kid bios. They have a lot of potential to be exploitative.

Has there ever been a book written by a celeb's kid that was actually positive?

by Anonymousreply 12503/19/2013

Shirley Maclaine is somewhat odd I will admit. Then again so am I lol I love her acting her deep serious roles. Her beliefs seem odd but maybe just advanced I am not sure. I had friends that watched her movie documentary on reincarnation etc they totally believe in it. I am a roman catholic but I am open for new thoughts and ideas. I think if we aren't its sad you have to decide for yourself. Reincarnation maybe...aliens maybe Ghosts perhaps affirmations for sure I know I would love to meet her for a meal she is a broad and I love her

by Anonymousreply 12605/30/2013

R16, good point about Shirley bearding some of the time. Another big beard in Hollywood was Shelley Winters!

by Anonymousreply 12705/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!