Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Applebee's Restaurants

They really do elevate shittiness to an exclusive category all its own.

They must have brainstorming ideas of how to make their food as shitty as possible.

I have never had a worse meal in my recent memory.

by Anonymousreply 3711/11/2012

Applebee's is owned by the same company that owns IHOP: DineEquity.

by Anonymousreply 103/16/2012

Well I would say IHOP is heads and tails above Applebees and IHOP is also crap.

That's how bad Applebees is.

by Anonymousreply 203/16/2012

You went to Applebee's and expected a fine dining experience?

Why, next you'll be telling the DL about how Sears was a total disappointment when searching for an elegant gown!

by Anonymousreply 303/16/2012

Chili's v. Applebee's -- which do you think is better?

by Anonymousreply 403/16/2012

I understand the op. It's one of the few restaurants in a town I have to visit and I rarely go there but when I do, it's always worse than I imagined it to be. The burgers are the only thing edible. Whatever you do, don't order the riblets. I'm still having nightmares about that meal.

by Anonymousreply 503/16/2012

Time to boycott them.

by Anonymousreply 611/10/2012

I ate there many years ago and never went back. It was Horrible!

by Anonymousreply 711/10/2012

I was never a fan but my mom loves it so I'll go with her when I visit. They have a good queso blanco appetizer - surprisingly spicy for a chain. We get it with their home-made spiral potato chips instead of taco chips. Unhealthy but good.

Also, their sizzling maple blondie ala mode dessert is delicious.

by Anonymousreply 811/10/2012

Whenever I end up accidentally at Applebee's (many otherwise nice people think it's a decent restaurant, and I don't think it's worth it being a bad sport about it) I order whatever and have a little private internal joke about Soylent Green: EVERYTHING at Applebee's tastes exactly the same, it's like it's all made from the same TVP extruded into molds to be meat-shaped or vegetable-shaped stuff. There is ZERO diff in texture or taste among any of it. I get through chewing through the shite by enjoying my private joke about it being Food Of The Future, in a dystopia wherein the privileged consider ourselves lucky to have access to TVP that is food-shaped. Everyone else (that's the joke of it, I will in this future be the everyone else, not the privileged percentage!) will be squirting this TVP down their throats and chasing it with Everclear to get it down.

by Anonymousreply 911/10/2012

They give a free meal to veterans on Veterans Day. But only if someone takes the veteran out to eat. A veteran can't walk in by himself and get a free meal, nor can two or more veterans walk in together and get free meals. There has to be one paying customer per veteran.

by Anonymousreply 1011/10/2012

Hey, it's a free meal on Veteran's Day.

by Anonymousreply 1111/11/2012

I had the steak and shrimp on the two for twenty menu and it was delicious. I know it's a chain but I've never actually had a bad meal there, in the once or twice a year I go there.

by Anonymousreply 1211/11/2012

Haven't been there in forever but their Perfect Margaritas are delicious.

That Maple Butter Blondie is to die for!

by Anonymousreply 1311/11/2012

My mom once complained, "This quesadilla isn't all that great!" to which I replied, "Well, it is Perkins (Pancake House)!"

Bob Evans signature salad dressing looks JUST like semen!

by Anonymousreply 1411/11/2012

What about Pondergrossa? Made the mistake of trying that one a while ago, it was awful. The food tasted like Stouffer's frozen entrees and was just bland as shit.

by Anonymousreply 1511/11/2012

I've eaten at Applebee's a couple of times on road trips and the food wasn't terrible, but it wasn't all that good either. When you're on a road trip though you really can't be too picky because your option are limited. It's certainly not the worst I've ever had.

Chili's is actually quite good.

by Anonymousreply 1611/11/2012

May God have mercy on my soul for having an informed opinion on this topic, but Chili's is absolutely streets ahead of Applebee's.

by Anonymousreply 1711/11/2012

Unless it's either (a) 3AM, or (b) the middle of absolutely bum fuck nowhere with no other options but gas station food, there is really no excuse for eating at any of these shitty chains in any town. Literally everywhere you go there are local places with similar fare on the menu for the same price, but done MUCH better with much higher quality ingredients. I know a lot of us are concerned about healthy eating (hey, I am too), but when you're on the road and the only places around pretty much offer variations of the same greasy, fattening dish, at least go to the local joint that will do that bacon cheeseburger RIGHT - not fucking Applebee's!

by Anonymousreply 1911/11/2012

Applebees, IHOP, etc are all places that are meant for everyone to be able to afford, so you get what you pay for. The portions are usually big.

by Anonymousreply 2011/11/2012

Maybe if you watched my program "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives," you wouldn't have to dine at such shitholes.

by Anonymousreply 2111/11/2012

How's the breakfast?

by Anonymousreply 2211/11/2012

I actually love Chili's. Cheddar's is also satisfying.

Applebee's is vile, though, and TGIF and Red Lobster are declining.

by Anonymousreply 2311/11/2012

I have a Chilli's a few blocks from where I live and they have improved quite a bit over the years. The staff is also very friendly and go out of their way to serve you. I go there at least once a week because they have a pretty good menu during happy hour where everything is $5. Can't beat it.

by Anonymousreply 2411/11/2012

I only went to Applebees for their $2 Long Island Ice Teas. If the bartender was cool and remembered me from tipping well, they would make them good and strong for me. I would get good and fucked up drunk for very little money.

I do agree that Chili's is actually better than Applebee's for what you get. But there are way better restaurants out there in that category. For some reason, Applebbes is VERY popular in my hometown as a hangout spot in my shithole hometown, so I try my best to avoid that place whenever I'm there because I run into too many people from high school.

I agree that TGIFridays is absolute vile shit nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 2511/11/2012

Cancer warrior Tig Notaro does a hilarious bit on this. Please dowload her heartwrenching and raw comedy tape "Live." Louis CK is a fan you guys. How bad can she be????? She kicked stage 2 cancer in a months time.INSPIRING.

The tape is available on Itunes and it is possible that some of the money will go to cancer funding. Do it NOW.

by Anonymousreply 2611/11/2012

What? Look at the work pool they have to use in your area. One meal in a chain? Damn fool.

by Anonymousreply 2711/11/2012

They're chains, people. You get what you pay for, which is generally around 6.99 if you choose judiciously.

by Anonymousreply 2811/11/2012

[quote[ I try my best to avoid that place whenever I'm there because I run into too many people from high school.

In your "shithole hometown", the school where you weren't popular, were laughed at? Yeah, I'd stay away too. You are so much more now.

by Anonymousreply 2911/11/2012

I also like Chillis. I can get salmon and veggies or a nice grilled chicken ceasar salad so you can eat healthy even in a chain restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 3011/11/2012

The servant class can be so bitter.

by Anonymousreply 3111/11/2012

"HappyGay"? You type more like "DrunkGay".

by Anonymousreply 3211/11/2012

See, "HappyGay," just the idea of it, really pisses you lame guys off.

by Anonymousreply 3311/11/2012

Cheddars has very good glazed salmon and rice. Love their green beans.

Applebee's is just horrid. Even their salads are below average, and how does one go wrong with a salad?

by Anonymousreply 3411/11/2012

Is there now a salmon troll? Or are we judging everything by the quality of the salmon now?

by Anonymousreply 3511/11/2012

R35, I prefer the cod troll:

by Anonymousreply 3611/11/2012

It's ok to say nice things about Tig so please don't be afraid. Only negative postings get deleted. Just sayin.

I agree that Chilis is better than Applebees. Their 2 for 20 dinner is yummy and won't break your bank.

by Anonymousreply 3711/11/2012
Need more help? Click Here.