Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Were any of you in the Symbionese Liberation Army?

I wish I'd been around to join. Was it fun? Was Patti a bitch? Did you like Tania better?

by Anonymousreply 8412/12/2012

Yes. I was their costume designer. It was the reason Patti picked up a gun, it really worked with the head piece.

by Anonymousreply 103/16/2012

Why don't we have groups like that anymore? The 70s sound fun.

by Anonymousreply 203/16/2012

No but we put them up in our barn for a weekend when they were passing through. I swear the bats were more scared of them than they were of the bats.

by Anonymousreply 403/16/2012

We wouln't rape or hurt Gwyneth though. We would just lock her in the closet and let her listen to us talk about how thin Cate Blanchett is looking.

by Anonymousreply 503/16/2012

I remember when I was a toddler, and my famliy had the news on.The news showed the snake symbol of the SLA .I used to get so scarred seeing that symbol on our counsel TV screen. because the TV was on the floor ,and at my eye level, the snake symbol was visually magnified and it horrified me.

BTW, My sister and brother are 13 and 14 years older than me. My sister used to work in the Emporium Capwell Department Store and Patti Hearst used to work in the San Fransisco branch right before this SLA scandal. My sister said Pattie didn't want to work ,and just didn't want to be there. She acted like a spoiled rich kid.

Also, on another occasion,my brother used to own a security business around 32 years ago ,and he had to do security in this region that just had couple of factories ,and outside of the factories there was just empty fields. Years latter its all populated and buildings all around. Anyway, my bother and a fellow security guard were patrolling the region very late at night,and they spotted a limo from a far pulling up. They approached the limo and knocked on the doors of the tinted, dark windows. Patti and some guy plopped out drunk off their asses ,and they were having sex in the back seat. My brother told them they had to leave. They mouthed off a bit ,but eventually spoiled rich girl left.

by Anonymousreply 603/16/2012

R2, the 70's were fun, but the 60's were even more fun.

by Anonymousreply 703/16/2012

If we have kidnapped Goopy and then discussed how effortlessly thin Cate is, we could add to the torture by making Gwyneth wear nothing but Target clothing for a week. Although the touch of the cheap velour track pant against her delicate skin might actually kill her.

by Anonymousreply 803/16/2012

No, I was a member of the Surrealist Light Peoples' Party.

by Anonymousreply 903/16/2012

Grace, we talked about the beret. Patty Hearst had money and a gun and she still couldn't pull it off.

by Anonymousreply 1003/16/2012

Well, 1969 was ALMOST the 70's, Mr. Stickler for Details r7!

by Anonymousreply 1103/16/2012

Yes. Almost everyone on DL was.

by Anonymousreply 1203/16/2012

It's Patty not Patti.

Whatever happened to her "fiance" Steven Weed?

by Anonymousreply 1303/16/2012

[quote]Whatever happened to her "fiance" Steven Weed?

She called him an insect and he withered away

by Anonymousreply 1403/16/2012

Dana Delaney was in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 1503/16/2012

We could kidnap rick santorum and date rape him. Oooh, never mind. I just saw the Puerto Rico pics. I wouldn't be able to get it up.

by Anonymousreply 1603/16/2012

by Anonymousreply 1803/16/2012

Not Symbionese, Blanche….Lesbian!

by Anonymousreply 1903/16/2012

I moved into the house on Precita in Bernal Heights, SF, where the Harrises (and Patty) lived for months before they were captured.

I didn't know it at the time. But the house was defined surveilled a coupla times and I only learned of the fact when I saw my house on "Good Morning America".

The neighbors I asked told me the Harrises were really nice people and joined in the neighborhood pot lucks.

If eBay had existed, I'd have auctioned the toilet seat.

by Anonymousreply 2003/17/2012

I was the SLA Poise and Etiquette Enforcer. I taught Patty her catwalk work that led to her successes in bank lobby strutting and posing, ducking and running in those hails of pigs' gunfire, and perp walking when she was detained by the Man. Those were some proud moments. I take full credit for her celebrated "Patty with a Machine Gun in Front of the Black Seven-Headed Cobra." That pose really conveyed the chic militancy of our message to the bourgeois assholes of American complacency, IMHO.

Maybe you recognize my more recent work with Callista Gingrich. We have her programmed to blow at the convention, you know. Her husband is our Manchurian Wok Candidate.

by Anonymousreply 2103/17/2012

Aaahhh if only all extreme organizations valued poise and etiquette R21. I've always admired your work. If only all kidnap victims could pop on a beret and convey the same poised "if you can't beat them, join them" attitude Patty did in that bank. *sigh*

by Anonymousreply 2203/17/2012

R6 is fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 2303/17/2012

Yes, R6. The sky was so blue that day.

by Anonymousreply 2403/17/2012

Whats problem with some posters on this thread?! I was just sharing a couple of stories with everyone about Patty that my famliy had encountered. Sorry I posted anything and wasted my time!

by Anonymousreply 2503/18/2012

r23 is a nasty person. Your story was fine r25.

by Anonymousreply 2603/18/2012

I never thought Patty should have been sent to prison. In the first place the SLA had some good points and secondly, she had no choice. The judge was an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 2703/18/2012

I want to join The Goopanese Liberation Army! Where is the signup list?

by Anonymousreply 2803/18/2012

I just remember Patti put out.... A lot. Was very popular with the group.

by Anonymousreply 2903/18/2012

Great story r6.

And the fact you mentioned Emporium Capwell made it even better.

by Anonymousreply 3003/18/2012

R27, it was a jury trial -- the issue of whether or not she had a choice is exactly what the jury had to decide, & they ruled against her.

by Anonymousreply 3103/18/2012

Was it true Patty, err Tania was yelling at the bank customers in swahili? In San Francisco? Wearing a beret?

by Anonymousreply 3203/18/2012

Pati masterminded the kidnapping. she was a revolutionary

by Anonymousreply 3303/18/2012

R33, ha! Patty was a spoiled baby. She didn't mastermind anything.

I don't think she should have been convicted. She was clearly under duress as a kidnap victim and she was held as a hostage and raped but unfortunately Lee Bailey was not at his best at the time and blew her defense. There also wasn't a lot of sympathy for her so that really worked against her.

I'm not so sure the jail sentence was mandatory so it was up to the judge whether she went to jail or not.

by Anonymousreply 3403/18/2012

I never knew what Symbionese means.

by Anonymousreply 3504/12/2012

Eldergay here-- it was an exciting time. Lots of Patty sightings. Her picture on Most Wanted Lists all over. Time magazine articles, nightly news. There was a girl in the theatre dept. at my school (Southwest Mo. State, now Missouri State in Springfield, Mo) who put Patty Hearst's name on her mailbox. Sure enough, the FBI showed up at her door.

by Anonymousreply 3604/12/2012

I always thought Patty looked rockin' in that beret.

by Anonymousreply 3704/12/2012

What R26 said. I liked reading your story R25. And I understand. That symbol always creeped me out too.

by Anonymousreply 3804/12/2012

I knew Emily and Bill Harris at IU.

by Anonymousreply 3904/12/2012

bump for Tania!

by Anonymousreply 4004/13/2012

Sometimes Encore movie network will run a three hour movie about the capture of Patty Hearst with Dennis Weaver. It was originally on NBC as a two part miniseries. Dennis plays the lead detective on the case and his daughter is played by a very young Roxanne Arquette. Not a bad miniseries. Not sure of the title. And of course there is the theatrical movie PATTY HEARST with the late, great Natasha Richardson and Dana Delany as Mismoon or Gaby.. one of those broads.

by Anonymousreply 4104/13/2012

Do I look like fucking Cinque to you, bitch?

by Anonymousreply 4204/13/2012

Why do people like R23 exist?

by Anonymousreply 4304/13/2012

Lisa Eilbacher - where the hell did she go - played Patty in that ABC tv movie.

One of Patty's real life sisters- Vicki- used to date a soap star named Corey Young.

by Anonymousreply 4404/13/2012

I wonder why people like R17 exist.

by Anonymousreply 4504/13/2012

Thanks R44--- yes, what happened to her? I purposely left her name out as I was thinking Lisa Eichorn! And I got Arquette's name wrong. Rosanne Arquette... right? Anyhow, this TV movie is pretty good. I have it on tape.

by Anonymousreply 4604/13/2012

bump for Patty!

by Anonymousreply 4705/10/2012

Grew up in Berkeley and was in Jr. High when the SLA assassinated the chief of the Oakland schools and kidnapped Patty Hearst. It was part of a continuum of horrible events that happened in the Bay Area in the 70's. During High School, Anita Bryant happened and Milk and Moscone were murdered. Then GRID/AIDS hit for my college years in the early 80's. Not such good times...

by Anonymousreply 4805/10/2012

Those of us who survived returned to our homeland Symbioniland.

by Anonymousreply 4905/10/2012

Another eldergay here. I remember that summer, you could hardly turn on the TV without hearing an SLA update. The night the safe house went up in flames, I was making dinner and racing back and forth to the living room to see WTF was going on. Everyone thought Patty was in the house, but there was no effort made to rescue anyone. It truly was horrifying.

by Anonymousreply 5005/10/2012

It was R50-- it was a Sunday right? I had just gotten back from the movies and turned on the TV-- we all thought Patricia was in that house.

by Anonymousreply 5105/10/2012

Do you guys remember how the tv reporter was so close to all of the gunfire? Those bullets seemed to whiz right by their heads. Also, was this all filmed in black and white?

by Anonymousreply 5205/10/2012

I think you may have been poor r52

by Anonymousreply 5305/10/2012

Patty on Conan!

I love how she only shakes Conan's hand but ignores Andy and the other guy. Even after all she went through she still nows never to acknowledge the under classes!

by Anonymousreply 5405/10/2012

youtube clips are in color R52

by Anonymousreply 5505/10/2012

Always puzzled me; did Symbia really need liberating? Who from? and why?

by Anonymousreply 5605/10/2012

I still won't rest till Symbia is independent.

by Anonymousreply 5705/11/2012

I got served a lot of carrot juice and avocado and cheese sandwiches by Wendy Yoshimura. (sp?) She worked at the Berkele Juice Collective. When the Natasha Richardson movie came out, she took a leave of absence to avoid public scrutiny.

by Anonymousreply 5805/11/2012

The Ordeal of Patty Hearst om youtube!!!!

by Anonymousreply 5907/15/2012

I've always felt sorry for Stephen Weed. Patty Hearst is a spoiled bitch.

by Anonymousreply 6007/15/2012

Bill Harris was sort of cute, in a teddy bear sort of way.

by Anonymousreply 6107/15/2012

Patty hates Weed for some reason.(the guy from Godspell plays him in the movie.)

by Anonymousreply 6207/15/2012

of course, it was a hoot, though Patty was really hairy

by Anonymousreply 6307/15/2012

I'm still mad that Symbia isn't independent yet.

by Anonymousreply 6407/15/2012

My elementary school teacher's sister was the member known as Mizmoon. She died in the house fire. He took a leave of absence from teaching and wrote a book about losing his sister to a cult. Terrible to lose a family member to a cult.

by Anonymousreply 6507/15/2012

William Harris is cute?

In what world or even decade?

by Anonymousreply 6607/15/2012

[quote]Grew up in Berkeley and was in Jr. High when the SLA assassinated the chief of the Oakland schools and kidnapped Patty Hearst. It was part of a continuum of horrible events that happened in the Bay Area in the 70's. During High School, Anita Bryant happened and Milk and Moscone were murdered. Then GRID/AIDS hit for my college years in the early 80's. Not such good times...

And don't forget the Jim Jones thing.

by Anonymousreply 6707/15/2012

I knew Mizmoon briefly in Berkeley before she became involved with the SLA. (I'm straight/female FWIW). I think I gave her a ride to the Cal Library or something. We weren't close friends. Her name was Patricia Soltysik--something like that. She was very wholesome--from Sacramento or Modesto or someplace like that. I think her dad was a dentist. When I knew her she was a serious student and a nice girl, maybe a scholarship student. To find out a year or so later she had gotten involved with the SLA and then was killed in that house was very shocking to me at the time. The Patty Hearst abduction and the SLA business was almost the only thing on the news in 1969 in the Bay Area. I also remember Wendy Yoshimura at that juice bar on Vine Street.

by Anonymousreply 6907/16/2012

My panties still get a bit moist thinking about Weed's stache.

by Anonymousreply 7007/16/2012

[quote]The Patty Hearst abduction and the SLA business was almost the only thing on the news in 1969 in the Bay Area.

Your timing is way off. Hearst was abducted in 1974.

by Anonymousreply 7107/16/2012

Oh my beloved Tania / How I long to see your face, photographed in fifteen-second intervals/in a bank in San Leandro..."

by Anonymousreply 7207/16/2012

I was underaged, and mother wouldn't sign the papers, but I used to sneak them leftovers when they'd come to the back door.

by Anonymousreply 7307/16/2012

"Everyone thought Patty was in the house, but there was no effort made to rescue anyone."

THIS is what I will never forget: that moment when we all had to realize that the government and law-enforcement WOULD KILL ANYONE, EVEN PATRICIA HEARST, if they thought a true revolutionary group ws rising.

Yes, this was years after the Civil Rights murders and Kent State, but the sight of the SLA conflagration was particularly shocking.

This was a precursor to Ruby Ridge, Philly and MOVE, and Waco.

by Anonymousreply 7407/16/2012

They were idiots. Pure and simple. But I remember clearly the coverage of the house burning. It was really awful and they did think Patty might have been in there. Not sure I fault the authorities for not trying to approach the house - it could have been rigged for explosives or they could have been shot. Not sure what they could have done.

by Anonymousreply 7507/16/2012

"I never thought Patty should have been sent to prison. In the first place the SLA had some good points and secondly, she had no choice. The judge was an asshole."

What "good points" are you referring to, you dumbass? The SLA was insane, as fucked up as the Manson family, although not quite as violent.

As for Patty Hearst, she was found guilty by a jury that didn't believe her story that she was brainwashed and forced to do everything. The evidence showed she joined up with the motley group of misfits and willingly participated in a bank robbery.

In interviews Hearst comes across as arrogant and snotty. If she'd been in the house that burned up it would have been no great loss.

by Anonymousreply 7607/16/2012

'Guerilla - The Taking Of Patty Hearst' is a great documentary about this whole crazy episode.

One thing the documentary claimed was that the L.A. police were very aware that Patty wasn't in the 54th St Safehouse at the time and that's why they happily let it burn with the SLA members trapped inside. The police wouldn't allow the firetrucks through their roadblocks.

by Anonymousreply 7707/16/2012

r75, cutting off water, electricity, and food would have sufficed.

It's called a "siege."

by Anonymousreply 7807/17/2012

Thanks for your post R6.

I agree with R76 she was not "kidnapped" and she clearly was a willing participant. It's not as though her ultra rich family wouldn't have known that this was going to happen.

There's a documentary about Patty Hearst called Witness: The Kidnapping of Patty Hearst where when she and the two SLA members she was with jacked a get-away car after robbing and shooting up a store, she told the carjacking victim not to believe the hype and don't get it twisted. She told him she was in the game willingly.

by Anonymousreply 7910/21/2012

R25 tell us some more stories!

by Anonymousreply 8010/21/2012

Patty liked me to braid her pubes along with adding beads.....we had a hoot!

by Anonymousreply 8110/21/2012

According to the site below Mizmoon was lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 8210/21/2012

No I was never in the SLA but once met members of the SLA over coffee in Concord Ca. I was a sophmore in college at USC and was establishing the Gay Student Union in the early 70's at USC. My boyfriend at the time was President and we went to visit some friends of his San Francisco. while we were ther he took us to meet Gaby also known as Camilla Hall, Willie Wolfe and Bill and Emily Harris, all who were introduced with other names. We sat over coffee and spoke of our struggles in So.Ca in getting the university to recognize the GSU as a offical campus organization. Gaby did most of the taking being Lesbian and how the GSU was organized at Berkely offering ideas and their philosophies. they were pretty extreme and took life very seriously. One thing always remianed in my mind, that they spoke of satifying the needs of each other as comrades both mentally and sexually breaking down any restriction society had placed upon them. I remember being attracted to Bill Harris and thinking how I'd like for him to satisfy me. Anyway, at the end were invited to attend a meeting with them in the near future which near came to fruition and then later hearing the terrible story on TV of their movement.

by Anonymousreply 8312/12/2012

Remember when the SLA required Hearst to give away free food. When he did, the moochers all stampeded and crushed the other welfare moochers to death in an effort to hoard the most food?

Typical of what happens when people don't have to earn their own keep.

by Anonymousreply 8412/12/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!