Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

URGENT CRATE-GATE UPDATE: Did Mitt Romney Lie About Fate of Seamus?

We all know the sad story of Seamus, the Romney family Irish Setter who was strapped to the top of the Romney station wagon for at least one 12-hour trip to Canada – and who at least once pooped himself in fear and, after being given an “emotion-free” hosing down by Mitt Romney, was placed once more atop the car for more terrifying hours on the highway.

The Romney family has said previously that Seamus was given away to Romney’s sister after this fateful trip, and lived out the last of his days on a lovely farm.

But now new questions emerge.

According to Hunter Walker, writing for the Politicker NY, a blog of the New York Observer, Mitt Romney “may not have told the whole truth about the scandalous tale.”

According to a “trusted Politicker tipster,” Walker says, “two of Romney’s sons had an off-the-record conversation with reporters” in which they revealed that Seamus actually “ran away when they reached their destination” in Canada.

As of this writing, says Walker, “the Romney campaign has not responded to multiple requests for comment on this story.”

What is the truth about Seamus' fate? Did he live out his days on a bucolic farm, as Romney has said? Or was he abandoned somewhere in Canada, alone, to fend for himself?

by Anonymousreply 8804/18/2012

i heard that story weeks ago, that the sons ratted out the tale that once they got to Canada and opened up the crate, Seamus was of freaked out he took off running and never came back. They basically shrugged and left.

Version I heard was one of the sons was laughing about the incident like it was humorous in some way.

by Anonymousreply 103/15/2012

[quote]Seamus actually ran away

Smart dog. And that is precisely what the American public should do: run away as fast as possible from Shitt Rmoney.

by Anonymousreply 203/15/2012

I hope this is true. It will demonstrate, again, what a liar he is.

by Anonymousreply 303/15/2012

R4 why Mitt?

by Anonymousreply 503/15/2012

This is one more reason I hope he is the candidate against Obama.

Horrid story and shows him way more out of touch than Bush 41 ever was.

by Anonymousreply 603/15/2012

[quote]Version I heard was one of the sons was laughing about the incident like it was humorous in some way.

At least they weren't Trump's sons, or they would have had shotguns and shot the dog!

What scum this guy is.

by Anonymousreply 703/15/2012

Wonder if they are gun toters?

by Anonymousreply 803/15/2012

Poor seamus

by Anonymousreply 903/15/2012

This makes sense, because no one ever talks about what they did with the dog on the trip back.

by Anonymousreply 1003/15/2012

It's okay. After Seamus died that summer I baptized him into the Mormon faith and now he has his own planet and a whole slew of bitchwives to enjoy. You people are so short-sighted.

by Anonymousreply 1103/15/2012

Why were they going to Canada in the first place? Does Mitt's sister live in Canada? Is she married to one of them hippie draft dodgers?

These are the questions FReepers should be asking!

by Anonymousreply 1203/15/2012

R12 and why did they drive there in a station wagon for hours? Air travel was around then.

by Anonymousreply 1303/15/2012

[quote]Why were they going to Canada in the first place? Does Mitt's sister live in Canada? Is she married to one of them hippie draft dodgers?

Hang on to your hat, R12, because it's a long standing Romney Family tradition to celebrate the 4th of July IN CANADA!

This goes back to Mitt's father. I guess the Birthday of the United States of America is something they would rather not celebrate on American soil.

by Anonymousreply 1403/15/2012

R13 And sit with common people in an airplane? Good God! What are you thinking??

by Anonymousreply 1503/15/2012

[quote]This goes back to Mitt's father. I guess the Birthday of the United States of America is something they would rather not celebrate on American soil.

Strange that they didn't go to Chihuahua, Mexico instead, where Mitt's father was born.

by Anonymousreply 1603/15/2012

I'm pretty sure when this story first came to light back in 2008, the version I heard was the dog ran away. I guess Mitt realized how badly it was playing and "massaged the truth".

by Anonymousreply 1703/15/2012

Did he really trot out that old story of "the dog lived the rest of his life on a big, beautiful farm". I didn't believe that shit when I was 9 years old and my parents gave it to me about our dog.

This is how he must view the American public. Simple children that will believe anything you tell them.

Being that he is a soulless shit, I think this version is the true story.

by Anonymousreply 1803/16/2012

That dog was traumatized....

by Anonymousreply 1903/16/2012

Ya think, R19?

I thought all Middle Americans loved dogs more than anything. Why hasn't the roof story sunk Romney yet?

by Anonymousreply 2003/16/2012

r4 sounds like a really creepy person.

by Anonymousreply 2103/16/2012

Not hardly, R17. His own PR team released that video back then as a slice of happy family life. I was disgusted when no one seemed concerned. The "lived happily ever after" lie was probably more recent, because the media didn't seem to be paying attention before this year.

by Anonymousreply 2203/16/2012

Can't EVERYONE spot these phoney, insulting anecdotes from miles away?

At least the dog had some sense.

by Anonymousreply 2303/16/2012

This is different than a dog in the back of a pickup. I've only once heard of someone doing this, but it was an empty crate and the driver really wanted to fit it into the backseat instead, as he did not want to be pulled over (or attract attention from other concerned drivers).

Where I'm from, an officer would probably pull over a car that had an animal crate strapped to the roof, and investigate.

I don't know what a cop would do after that since NOBODY STRAPS THE FAMILY DOG TO THEIR ROOF. There's a reason why you don't see this all over the freeways.

by Anonymousreply 2403/16/2012

NOBODY?

psychopaths like Romney do....

by Anonymousreply 2503/16/2012

Strapped the cage, with the dog, to the roof? That's inhumane. That's just plain ignorant, who would do this? It can't be true, even that soulless Mittens couldn't be that asinine. Could he? It's got to be an urban legend.

by Anonymousreply 2603/16/2012

r10 where have you been??

Romney even admits this happened.

Further, at one point during this hellish journey the dog had diarhea all over the car and Romney simply pulled into a carwash, hosed the dog crate down (through the grill or whatver) then continued on the drive....

by Anonymousreply 2703/16/2012

You know, David Letterman has turned this into a running bit and most every night prefaces it with the comment that he can't believe the story hasn't gotten any traction. He keeps hammering at it and everything it says about Romney.

by Anonymousreply 2803/16/2012

for r10.

by Anonymousreply 2903/16/2012

And no one on that long drive spotted Seamus on top of that car and reported it? Seamus bought the farm, folks, he's not living on one.

by Anonymousreply 3003/16/2012

Like other, apparently, I just hadn't paid attention to it before. Add it to his wealth-related gaffes and you wonder how, as president, he could have any empathy with the disenfranchised. It's pretty horrifying. Good for Letterman on the hammering.

by Anonymousreply 3103/16/2012

I am sorry r10, I was addressing r26 in both my posts!!

by Anonymousreply 3203/16/2012

I agree with r30; Seamus croaked by journey's end.

by Anonymousreply 3303/16/2012

sad. very sad.

by Anonymousreply 3403/16/2012

There should be a comic strip about the dog being in all sorts of dangerous situations and each strip ends with "Yeah, it's bad, but at least I'm not with 'them'!"

by Anonymousreply 3503/16/2012

Didn't they have to go through customs? Why didn't Canada Immigration make them take the dog down? I blame Canada.

by Anonymousreply 3603/16/2012

They probably lied and said it was full of luggage.

by Anonymousreply 3703/16/2012

29 years ago it pretty easy to cross the Canadian border by car.

by Anonymousreply 3803/16/2012

You can thank Gail Collins of the NYTimes she has been mentioning the dog story in every Rommney story shes written for the last year.

by Anonymousreply 3903/16/2012

I told you going to Canada is DANGEROUS!

by Anonymousreply 4003/16/2012

Even his rival Santorum is now bringing up Seamus every chance he gets...

by Anonymousreply 4103/16/2012

It's an important story. It speaks to his character and that they would try to dismiss it speaks even more to his character.

by Anonymousreply 4203/16/2012

Agreed, r42. Someone who would do that does not belong in the White House.

by Anonymousreply 4303/16/2012

Can we discuss the fact that Seamus shares the name of the dog in the song on the 1971 Pink Floyd album?

I can't imagine it's a coincidence, but I also can't imagine Mitt listening to Pink Floyd.

by Anonymousreply 4403/16/2012

no

by Anonymousreply 4503/16/2012

Check out this week's New Yorker cover, it's pretty clever.

I'd post a link but when I do, my post does not show up.

by Anonymousreply 4603/18/2012

why does Seamus not have a Wikipedia page?

by Anonymousreply 4703/18/2012

Link to ABC story on the cover, with picture, R46. A lot of other news ran similar pieces.

by Anonymousreply 4803/18/2012

poor

by Anonymousreply 4903/18/2012

WASHINGTON -- If the way Mitt Romney treated his dog 30 years ago is not an important part of the 2012 presidential election, Rick Santorum's campaign didn't get the memo.

Twice last week top Santorum adviser John Brabender reminded voters that Romney once drove to Canada with the family dog, Seamus, in a crate fastened to the roof of the car. And on Sunday, in response to a question from ABC News' Jonathan Karl, Santorum said the Seamus story is important.

"As far as Seamus the dog, look, all I would say is, the issues of character are important in this election, and we need to look at all of those issues and make a determination as to whether that's the kind of person you want to be president of the United States," Santorum said.

Many dog lovers believe that what is being called "Crate-Gate" thoroughly disqualifies the candidate. An online group called Dogs Against Romney has pushed the story ever since the Boston Globe first reported the 1983 incident in 2007. During the 12-hour trip, Seamus suffered diarrhea and Romney stopped briefly to hose off the car and the dog, then continued driving, according to the newspaper.

The Romney campaign does not have a sense of humor about the story and has kept quiet about it. The candidate has said that he loves his dogs and that Seamus enjoyed riding on the roof. As governor, Romney in 2006 proclaimed September "Responsible Dog Ownership Month" in Massachusetts.

Karl predicted that the Seamus story won't go away.

"All right, well, Seamus the dog -- I think we'll be hearing more about him going forward," he said.

by Anonymousreply 5003/18/2012

[quote]Seamus the dog -- I think we'll be hearing more about him going forward,"

Seamus's story is a gift to everyone who doesn't want Mitt in the Oval Office.

by Anonymousreply 5103/20/2012

They need to show proof that Seamus was a member of the Romney family AFTER that fated trip....

Check with their vet?

Etc.

by Anonymousreply 5203/20/2012

The dog died from the abuse Rmoney did to him?

by Anonymousreply 5303/20/2012

Many people think that is exactly what happened, r53; either died or ran away into the Canadian wilderness never to be seen again....

So, all we need to know is what month/year this trip happened and then check with the Romney vet on whether Seamus ever came back into the vet after that point.

by Anonymousreply 5403/20/2012

Didn't one of the sons say that Seamus ran away when they got to Canada?

by Anonymousreply 5503/20/2012

I want to know who the assholes are in the 7% in this poll...

by Anonymousreply 5603/20/2012

^^ and THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is a creepy troll. ^^

by Anonymousreply 5803/20/2012

by Anonymousreply 5903/21/2012

If he didn't lie about it, it would the only thing in his life he hasn't lied about.

by Anonymousreply 6003/21/2012

Two things it would be good to know during this campaign season:

1. Did Seamus run away in terror, never to be seen again?

2. Is Maggie Gallagher's husband planning to file for divorce?

by Anonymousreply 6103/21/2012

Rethugs and their dogs. WTF? One of Huckabee's sons and his little friends tortured and hanged a stray dog when they were at a Boy Scout camp!

To be fair, Huckabee Jr. probably hadn't eaten his usual 50 thousand calories and was hungry.

by Anonymousreply 6203/22/2012

Funny how this is absolutely a dealbreaker. Like we needed another one!

(But it does take him from weird robot to just beyond disgusting, no doubt about it).

by Anonymousreply 6303/22/2012

He didn't "crate" crate the dog!

by Anonymousreply 6403/22/2012

They are unfeeling psychopaths, r62. Simple as that.

by Anonymousreply 6503/22/2012

Nothing shows more of your true character than how you treat animals and people who are considered below your own social status.

by Anonymousreply 6603/22/2012

Indeed.

by Anonymousreply 6703/23/2012

I keep coming back to this in disbelief. With a station wagon packed full and a dog in a crate, presumably suitcases could have been strapped to the roof and the dog crate put into the car. What kind of thought process could possibly lead to putting the dog on the roof for 12 hours of highway travel? Did they not want to hear it barking?

And once they stopped and saw the dog had shat itself in terror, how could they possibly have just hosed it down and left it there? More astounding, how could Romney have volunteered that story as an example of his crisis management?

It's like a case study of a psychopath's thought process. How can anybody hear that story and entrust this man with political office?

I simply do not get it. If people learned he'd abused his children, would they overlook that as well?

by Anonymousreply 6803/23/2012

yes

by Anonymousreply 6903/23/2012

Woof!

by Anonymousreply 7003/23/2012

He probably still does R68. You notice none of them are off doing their own thing. They are all adults and he has them on a 12 inch leash.

by Anonymousreply 7103/23/2012

Good point.

by Anonymousreply 7203/23/2012

What about Craig Romney hanging a fish in a bottle from his bumper. What was all that about? Supposedly Andrew Sullivan broke that story.

by Anonymousreply 7303/24/2012

[quote]how could Romney have volunteered that story as an example of his crisis management?

The man can't relate to average Americans. He has no idea what it's like for anyone in any situation outside his own family, his own vehicles and his own homes. He's rich, yet he's not very bright.

by Anonymousreply 7403/24/2012

Dog lovers across America will loathe this jackass.

by Anonymousreply 7504/04/2012

R76's "pushback" is that Obama is going to eat his dog any day now? Seriously?

by Anonymousreply 7704/18/2012

R76 is probably this guy:

by Anonymousreply 7904/18/2012

Rethugs must have an army of internet volunteers who are told Obama at 6 years old ate dog--go. Then they all google seamus & post everywhere it's discussed as new counter attack.

If only they'd put this much effort in actually doing something for the country.

Not sure what Obama ate way back when has to do with Romney & Wife as grown adults putting a cage on rooftop of a car as grown adults but they're desperate for this to go away.

by Anonymousreply 8104/18/2012

I'm wondering if they took the dog on a trip to get rid of him? Having worked in a dog shelter, I've seen the cold-ass ways people dump their pets when they get tired of them.

Perhaps the politically-conscious family was trying to avoid a "Romneys surrender family pet to shelter" story- and it has come back to haunt them?

by Anonymousreply 8204/18/2012

Anyone who can equate Obama as a CHILD being given exotic meats to eat in INDONESIA with the Romney parents as ADULTS strapping their poor dog to the top of their car and driving for HOURS is a complete idiot. Not even close to the same thing, on any universe. Not even a good try at spin.

by Anonymousreply 8304/18/2012

No doubt, the Seamus story is going to lose votes for Mitt.

by Anonymousreply 8404/18/2012

Rovian nonsense. They do not eat dog in Indonesia.

by Anonymousreply 8504/18/2012

There are some cultures in Indonesia that eat dog, but not in the capital and definitely not among Muslims, like Obama's stepdad, who classify dogs as UNCLEAN.

by Anonymousreply 8604/18/2012

[quote] They do not eat dog in Indonesia.

Actually, they do, but not the Muslims. So, I guess that kind of quashes the idea that BO is a Muslim.

To quote the guy who runs the Dogs against Romney blog/website:

[quote] If President Obama had made the conscious decision to eat dog meat as a 36-year old adult, in America, claimed the dog liked being eaten, and still claimed he didn't think there was anything wrong with it, the Romney campaign would have a point and my pack would be on the president like a pack of wild, well....dogs.

by Anonymousreply 8704/18/2012

again, tasting exotic meats while overseas as a child, hardly equates to being an adult who terrorizes a family pet.

by Anonymousreply 8804/18/2012
Need more help? Click Here.