Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I have a mouse in my kitchen

I do not want this mouse in my house. I put down traps but he's managed to eat the peanut butter off without springing them. Any suggestions? I do not want to open a drawer and find mouse babies.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 14904/02/2013

Get a cleaver. Even if you miss the head, you would at least get the tail.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 103/15/2012

Get those cyanide pellet rodent killers. The mice eat the pellets and die within about 48 hours.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 203/15/2012

Tell him riddles and allow him to stay if he answers - correctly.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 303/15/2012

Poison is a good way if the traps don't work. You might have to live with a slight death smell if the fucker dies in the ceiling, but not too long.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 403/15/2012

OMG animal killers!I You should be in jail for murder!!!

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 503/15/2012

Get a humane mouse trap. You just put the food inside the drawer, and when they go in, it encloses them in there. Then you drive out to a field, woods etc. and let them loose. I do it at my cottage all the time.

Please get one of them. : )

I recommend a brand like Have-a-Heart.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 603/15/2012

And a most wonderful, happy New Year to you!

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 703/15/2012

bacon rind!

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 803/15/2012

I agree with the Have-a-Heart gentleman.

I've let pests go into the backyard, mostly.

On a related note, I used to have 'fancy mice' for several years. Mice with spots, mice with stripes, Siamese cat type mice, curly-coated mice, bald mice... They were so cute. We had those elaborate hamster cages with the colored tubes. Pet mice gre great.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 903/15/2012

Peppermint oil on cotton pads. Put the cotton pads where you think the mouse's route is for ten days. Mice hate peppermint.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 1103/15/2012

''what am ah gonna do''.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 1203/15/2012

First, look for tiny sweaters with candy canes on them.

If you find any, it's just the Christmas Mouse on vacation.

BTW, rumor has it, his droppings taste like hot chocolate.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 1303/15/2012

Have you tries the Ortho Home Defense traps? The mice cannot eat the peanut butter out of them. The trap kills the mouse very quickly too,

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 1403/15/2012

Trap it, don't poison it and let it go off to die. You'll be sorry if you do, because you will still have a mouse problem with the stink.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 1503/15/2012

News for you, OP. There is no such thing as one mouse in your house.

For every mouse you see, you can have from 10 to 35 more in the walls and attic that you don't see.

Keep your eyes open for mouse droppings.

If you don't have any pets, use rat poison. It will dry them up, so they will not stink, but because it kills them by dehydration, you may find some dead or dying ones in your sinks, tub, shower drain or toilet, seeking water as they die.

If you have pets, don't use poison. You could use sticky traps, but the mouse is usually alive when you catch it, so you have to pick up the trap, drop it in the toilet and drown the little mother fucker.

There are also human traps; little boxes that catch the mouse and then you either have to release the mouse a mile or more from your house (or it will return), or let it starve to death inside the trap, which sort of defeats the purpose of a humane trap.

One great thing about having mice: rats eat mice and mice will leave any place that has rats, so if you see a mouse, you know you don't have rats.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 1603/15/2012

R14, he should use a humane mouse trap. Why do anything else?

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 1703/15/2012

The best way to get rid of mice is find the hole where they are coming in and seal it. I've had mice and that's been the only way I've been able to truly rid my house of them.

But as for catching them.

Get a bucket. Put it near a counter where you've seen signs of a mouse. Put peanut butter in the bottom of the bucket.

In the morning, a mouse will probably be in the bucket, trapped. You can take the mouse outside, but take it far, far, far from your house.

House mice usually don't survive outside. But I used to like to dump them in the yards of neighbors I don't like hoping they will set up house there.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 1803/15/2012

Get a cat!! ... As soon as the mouse picks up the Cat's scent, he'll take off.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 1903/15/2012

There is only one solution for your problem:

pussy

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 2003/15/2012

you wouldnt have mice if you weren't such a nasty fucking pig. you eat all over the house instead of the kitchen or breakfast room, don't you.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 2103/15/2012

I do not want this mouse in my house.

Mouse house. Trap crap.

I do not want this mouse in my house.

I do want boys in my house.

Mouse. Out. Boys in. Poison.

I do not want his mouse in my house.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 2203/15/2012

A good friend has four cats and three run away from the occasional kitchen mouse. One is intrigued but not hungry enough to do more than sit and stare. The mice generally ignore them.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 2303/15/2012

If you want to be 'humane' and catch them, be my guest. But please take advice from someone who was too nice and caring - the mice do not feel the same, and they will ruin your shit. Obviously torture is not the way to kill them, but get rid of them fast, they multiply.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 2403/15/2012

Glue traps. Press a bit of food into the center of each and place them where you see evidence of the mice (mice inhabit very small worlds and don't typically wander from them.) Check each morning.

And R24 is right. It's not a moral dilemma, just a problem to be rid of and quickly.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 2503/15/2012

OP, ignore everything you've just read.

Once you have one mouse, you have a whole family of mice. Don't listen to the touchy-feely "set the mouse free" people. All that means is that the mice will come back. You have to kill the mice.

I've tried those spring traps and they don't work. I recommend Rat Zapper. It's a plastic tube that you put batteries in. You put the bait (I use a tiny piece of a greasy Lays potato chip) in the end of the tube. Turn it on and walk away. When the mouse enters the tube, it gets electrocuted. You take the tube, dump the mouse in the garbage, and rebait for the next mouse.

This is the best way to get rid of mice. I think it costs about $35 but it is worth every penny.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 2603/15/2012

I wouldn't be able to use kill traps just because I would not be comfortable picking them up and disposing of the bodies. Defcon poison is awful and doesn't work spectacularly well. It is an anti-coagulant. Once an animal consumes it and it gets in the blood stream, it causes uncontrolled internal bleeding that is profoundly painful. I worked at a kennel and saw mice die from Defcon many times - they literally bled out from every orifice. It's also a danger to any larger animals in the vicinity that either eat the bait themselves or eat the poisoned mice.

The most effective means to eliminate large infestations of mice is to get an electric trap. It's a little box with a metal floor that activates when a mouse triggers the weight sensor. Basically a bug zapper for mice: it electrocutes them instantly. But the traps aren't cheap, and are probably not necessary for a home infestation (assuming your problem hasn't gotten out of control yet).

So if I were you, I'd get a humane mouse trap from the Maine Supply Co (see link). It's got fantastic reviews and has a super-sensitive trigger plate to catch even the teeniest mice. As others here have said, be sure to drive the mice about a mile away so you know they won't find their way back. I also like the suggestion of letting them go near the residence of an enemy, it's so DL: The Movie.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 2703/15/2012

woops, forgot to post the link.

but yeah, r26's rat zapper trap sounds like the most efficient way to go. the electric ones I've seen all cost over $100 but if you can get one for $35, go for it.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 2803/15/2012

[quote]let it starve to death inside the trap, which sort of defeats the purpose of a humane trap.

This happened to me; I had a humane trap and found a dead mouse in it. You have to check them frequently. I never heard it. They die of dehydration pretty quickly in those humane traps, esp because once in the trap they tend to freak out and run around and pee in a panic.

I think killing them quickly is the best thing to do.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 2903/15/2012

OP, call an EXTERMINATOR. Do not fuck around with all of this stuff, get a professional to do it. Then find out how they got in and plug up the holes.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 3003/15/2012

I've had a mouse problem for a little while in my vacation home. I put out the point block things. They work OK. The grossest thing is finding mice dead in the toilet bowl.

And droppings. Ugh.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 3103/15/2012

Be very careful how you clean mouse droppings. DO NOT vacuum. Where a mask over you face when you wipe them up.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 3203/15/2012

Put a hair trigger on that trap!

I feel for you, Mary.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 3303/15/2012

R26, do you see the mouse in the tube? My issue is having to see them-live or dead. I don't wanna see them...

I have 2 cats but I think they're more likely to "toy" with the mice than kill them. I've seen them do the same with bugs. Again, I don't want to see them.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 3403/15/2012

Cats must learn to kill. Indoor cats don't have a clue how to do it.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 3503/15/2012

I get mice every winter. I use the humane traps and have a hamster Habitrail cage set up in my laundry room to act as the short term jail when I catch one in the middle of the night. I transfer from the trap into the jail until I release it the next day. Leaving them in the trap an hour or more is really stressful for them and could kill them. I wouldn't want anyone to die like that.

They are really adorable, I could never kill anything that cute. I don't want them in my house though.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 3603/15/2012

Try Snap-E traps. They really are "a better mousetrap." I have killed six mice with them so far this season. No more mice in the house for the past month.

Poison is inhumane and toxic (and sometimes gross, the mice curl up and die in corners of your house and you don't know until the smell gets bad); glue traps are VERY inhumane; exterminators cost $$. I vote for Snap-E traps. Based on the reviews on Amazon, many others do too.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 3703/15/2012

OP, DO NOT listen to the humane trapping people.

If you don't kill the mice, they come back.

You can fart around and spend money here and trying to get rid of them, or just hire a professional and get it over with. I'd suggest the latter.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 3803/15/2012

Jump on a chair, hike up your skirt, and let out a piercing B-movie scream.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 4003/15/2012

The humane mouse traps actually catch them better. We then release them at a farm field that house a barn.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 4103/15/2012

Humane mouse traps don't work if you have to keep using them.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 4203/15/2012

r39, my uncle had a contraption like that when I was a kid. I saw those exhausted little mice swim until they had nearly drowned and finally couldn't take seeing it anymore and I set them free.

If you're going to kill them do it fast and don't torture them.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 4303/15/2012

MICE LOVE WATER! Are you kidding r39?

This thread reminds me of the one about pigeons I started 5 years ago.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 4403/15/2012

r39 - Mice are mostly nocturna. I set it up before heading to bed and they were all dead at the bottom by morning. Nothing to see. Why would you even watch?

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 4503/15/2012

No offense, r39, but that sounds awful. I don't want to listen to mice thrashing about as they drown. I'm in a one bedroom apartment so I'm sure I'd hear it.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm not sure why the mouse chose my kitchen. I don't cook and have very little food sitting around. Nothing now, except the peanut butter on the traps.

I'll try a different trap and if that doesn't work the exterminator gets a call. Not waiting for the landlord to bring in their handyman.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 4603/15/2012

Go to the hardware store and get glass and break it up in steel wool and put it in the wholes around your stove, sink and radiators. Then get the old fashioned mouse traps and put peanut butter on them.

I had a bad mouse invasion a few years ago and doing this and my tubby tabby Chauncey got rid of them. Chauncey was the best mouser.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 4703/15/2012

[quote] put it in the wholes around your stove, sink and radiators.

Oh, dear.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 4803/15/2012

My old siamese used to bring them in alive - greet me at the door with "Mee-ehfffl" around the live mouse in her mouth.

It was the airedale who thought she was having problems killing it. The airedale simply chomped on the mouse. The cat clearly called the dog an asshole and gave her the paw. It hurt the airedale's feelings.

Anyway, Spring is coming and your mice are getting ready for outdoor living after the last frost. I wouldn't worry about this, unless you see evidence in May.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 4903/15/2012

1) Put Donald Trump Jr. on speed dial.

2) Thank me later.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 5003/15/2012

Where's Daniel Boon when ya need him?

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 5103/15/2012

wholes=holes

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 5203/15/2012

I think this thread is horrible!!!

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 5303/15/2012

Aren't we cute?

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 5403/15/2012

I once used the poison that makes them bleed out. Never again. I saw one of them weak and dying on the floor. I'll never forget his eyes. Here I am this giant standing there and his eyes said "Why did you do this to me? I never hurt you. Why did you hurt me like this? Then he used his last bit of strength to run from this monster that stood there. The monster than hurt him so badly. I left the room and about an hour later I found him dead just a few feet from where he was able to run from me in terror.

Never again! I buried him and named him Charlie. I didn't want him buried without a name.

I'm still crying as I think of what I did to him. His eyes will haunt me for the rest of my life.

That poison and glue traps are the cruelest and most horrible way to get rid of mice. Please don't use them. Don't do to those defenseless little creatures what I did to Charlie.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 5503/15/2012

R49's house smells like feces.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 5603/15/2012

This reminds me of one of my childhood memories. We used to breed Fancy Mice and sell them. Me and my family went on holiday to a beach resort and sell them. We came home and saw that almost all the baby mice had been murdered. They had small bite marks and their tummies were open and their internal organs had been eaten by the mother. We knew this because we saw intestines strewn over the food bowl, and blood on her hairlip.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 5703/16/2012

When you see what these creatures destroy by chewing everything -- your walls, doors, kitchen cabinets -- you may lose that cute and cuddly feeling about them.

BTW, mice roam and they like familiar places. Removing food they were getting into does NOT get rid of them.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 5803/16/2012

I live in Brooklyn in a six story apartment building. I had an infestation about 2 years ago - it was hell. I didn't see them but every morning there would be droppings on top of my stove and on the dish drainer where I'd left dishes to dry. Soon there were droppings in my dresser drawers(!?) and closet shelves. The last straw was droppings on top of my refrigerator. It was crazy. Then I read that mice also pee uncontrollably and that leaves a trail for other mice to follow. I was skeeved more by the pee - the turds I could clean but who knew where the pee was. Was it on my dishes and silverware? Don't go web surfing about the Hanta virus - you'll want to buy a Hazmat suit.

I think mice are really cute but when you're cleaning up their crap every day and obsessively washing stove, countertops, dishes etc. it gets old. I was ready for all mice to die, no matter how gruesomely. I got an exterminator and in about a month, things were better.

Now I have some modern snap traps - only caught about 4 in the last year.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 5903/16/2012

r34, no you don't have to see the mouse. There is a red light that blinks when something is in the plastic tube. So you just flick the off switch, pick up the tube and tip it into the garbage.

Also remember that a mouse can squeeze through a hole the size of a quarter. So there really is no way to completely seal off your house.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 6003/16/2012

borrow a friends cat

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 6103/16/2012

What's interesting is how mice and rats are objectified in the culture: mice are cute, rats are evil.

In reality, rats are scared, mice are curious. It's harder to get rid of mice because they want to see what's going on; rats are too scared to.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 6203/16/2012

R61 - cats aren't always the answer. I had a cat; one day TWO mice ran out of my closet and my cat didn't move. Same cat finally did catch a mouse.

I was in bed after midnight and heard the cat chase something. Next thing I know, the cat jumps up on the bed with me, with the live mouse in its mouth. Needless to say, I jumped up, grabbed the sheets and flung everything up into the air. The cat went one way and the mouse in another. I laid up the rest of the night waiting to see if the cat found the mouse and tried this move again.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 6303/16/2012

[quote]The humane mouse traps actually catch them better. We then release them at a farm field that house a barn.

A barn that is either patrolled by feral cats or where the farmer puts out poison to kill mice? Farmers hate mice and they don't care how they kill them, as long as it's efficient.

You're making someone else be responsible for your problem.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 6403/16/2012

Schauzers (german for 'mouser') are also very good at catching rodents.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 6503/16/2012

Do you mean the dog breed, Schnauzer's? PER WIKI: A schnauzer is a German dog type that originated in Germany in the 15th and 16th centuries. The term comes from Schnauze, the German word for "snout", because of the dog's distinctively bearded snout. Some authorities, such as Encyclopædia Britannica, also claim that the name is derived from the word's secondary meaning of "moustache"

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 6603/16/2012

It would be interesting to watch a schnauzer get inside the walls of OP's house to get at the mouse (or mice).

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 6703/16/2012

We have a terrier that goes after mice -- while the cats look regally on...

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 6803/16/2012

[quote]The mice eat the pellets and die within about 48 hours.

...In your walls.

Then you get to enjoy the smell of dead rotting mice for weeks!

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 6903/16/2012

When they're dead we cut their little heads off and nail them up four inches over the floor boards as a warning to the others. It looks like the set of King Kong from the ape's perspective.

So many little heads.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 7003/16/2012

An exterminator told me they have a new poison that causes the mouse to dehydrate -- this cuts down on bodily fluids during the decay process, so there isn't the problem of dead rodent stink if it dies in the walls.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 7103/16/2012

R60 Thanks. However, I just realized I would never be able to use the zapper as my cats would likely stick a paw in the tube and electrocuted themselves.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 7203/16/2012

r66, petfinder's definition below. I guess I confused 'mouser' with 'ratter'. All i know is my mom bought a schnauzer, and after she brought him home from his $60 haircuts, he'd go out in the yard and dig up moles.

"The smallest and most popular of the schnauzers, the miniature schnauzer was developed in the late 1800s as a small farm dog and ratter in Germany. In fact, the miniature schnauzer is the only terrier not originating from European isle stock. He was derived from crossing the standard schnauzer with the affenpinscher (and possibly poodle). All the schnauzers get their name from one individual dog named Schnauzer, who was exhibited around 1879, an apt name, since schnauzer means "small beard."

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 7303/16/2012

[quote]I was in bed after midnight and heard the cat chase something. Next thing I know, the cat jumps up on the bed with me, with the live mouse in its mouth. Needless to say, I jumped up, grabbed the sheets and flung everything up into the air. The cat went one way and the mouse in another. I laid up the rest of the night waiting to see if the cat found the mouse and tried this move again.

LOL! Thank you for that image.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 7403/16/2012

Speaking of ratters, I saw a gross video on Youtube once. It was a farm that had rats building tunnels under dirt mounds. They had some farm dogs chasing and killing rodents. It was weird to see how savage the dogs were -- they were killing machines.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 7503/16/2012

You people need to stop killing animals!! They are defenseless creatures who have as much right to live and be happy as we do, if not moreso.

Stop the slaughter!!

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 7603/16/2012

Yeah, maybe we should ask them to pay rent instead of getting rid of them.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 7703/16/2012

r76, animals kill each other.

Rats and mice also can carry disease.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 7803/17/2012

Do you eat a lot of fast food and sub sandwiches, op? Mice and rat eggs are often found in fast food. You might be inadvertently be bringing home mouse and rat eggs.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 7903/17/2012

yeah, right....

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 8003/17/2012

Mice and rat eggs? You mean from ovulating mice?

Mice are mammals and have live births r79. They don't lay eggs.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 8103/17/2012

You can't have 1 mouse. If you have 1, you have a nest.

It took 4 boxes of rodent pellets, at $10 each to finally control it in my place. I lost about $300 in food. I wish I had of started the pellets sooner.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 8203/17/2012

LOL, r79!

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 8303/17/2012

You want to see a real mouse problem?

Flowing mice!

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 8403/17/2012

PETA would like you to send the mice to re-education camps and teach them not to eat human food. Cost about $1,000 per mouse.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 8503/17/2012

OP, you should get one of those Roman mice jars. It has small entrances everywhere - looked like a spiraling beehive, if I remember.

You place food in the jar. Small mice enter for food. Soon they are too fat to get out and you have a tasty meal.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 8603/17/2012

MIce? Big deal. The vacant four-family next door was rehabbed and my house ended up being infested with bats. They squeezed into the attic ventilation screens and into cracks under the eaves and took up residence in the walls (it's a big place). We'd wake up with a bat in the bed. Put a shoe on - a bat in it. Dead bat stuck in the bottom of a planter. A bat stuck to a curtain, flapping. Bobbing through the house like slow-motion Lugosi special effects, and their sonar so great you couldn't smack them with a broom no matter how slow they flittered. And they left bat bugs behind. Small bugs like bed bugs that live on bats' blood. AND we had to wait months to have them removed because they're protected in our state and we couldn't have the exterminators put the elaborate tube system in and seal the house from them until their little babies were all grown up for the season. And bat bugs live without a blood meal for up to six months, so the desperate bugs were coming at us on the bathroom floors for a fucking eon even after the bats were gone.

Mice. Shit. Any day.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 8703/17/2012

Where do you live r87? Send your bats to new england. Ours have been decimated.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 8803/17/2012

I had pizza delivered tonight and I'll be damned if I Didn't see 2 rat eggs on a slice of pepperoni. Of course I didn't eat that piece, but as I was watching reruns of Saved By The Bell out of the corner of my eye I saw 2 slimy, pink, petite rats emerging from these eggs. Their eyes were red and shiny and I could hear a quiet clawing as they attempted to emerge from their shells. I screamed and threw the whole box of pizza out my window and sprayed large amounts of Febreez around my apartment to kill any airborne eggs left behind.

The worst part is is that I'm still hungry and I unintentionally threw away the piece of pizza I had been eating. Damn rat eggs.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 8903/18/2012

You can make humane traps using glass canning jars or sturdy beverage glasses and scrap wood.

Form a straight scrap of wood into a "ramp" by leaning it against the lip of a glass jar. Do not use plastic as it's too slippery.

Secure the ramp with tape.

Place unperishable food in the bottom of the glass, as bait. Unperishable = cookie pieces, candy or even a tab of butter etc., and not lunch meat.

If these are large rats, you may have to use large glass candle hurricanes weighted down with rocks or something, beacause the ideal material is glass - rodents will gnaw at and claw a plastic surface until free.

Set these traps and remember to check them.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 9003/18/2012

Cats don't always work.. I should know. My cat never kills the mice.. she just brings them inside to play with them alive.. I can't even count how many times we had to go mouse hunting inside.. the mouse was running around all over the place! yuck!

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 9103/18/2012

Poison works but it takes a few days. You can tell as the mouse will die and your house will stink. Follow the smell and you'll find the dead mouse. Glue traps work but the mice learn to avoid them quickly. Just like traps, the mice learn quickly. You must find the hole he came out of and plug it up. Use steel wool and then caulk over it.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 9203/18/2012

R89, you do realize rats are mammals and don't lay eggs?

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 9303/18/2012

Glue traps. Work every time.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 9403/18/2012

Throw away that old box of pancake mix! It's been long enough.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 9503/18/2012

Yes. I once found hundreds of rat eggs in an old box of pancake mix. Get rid of your pancake mix, op.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 9603/18/2012

I had an infestation a few years ago and the nail in the coffin was when I found mouse droppings in my toaster, which I kept on top of my fridge. So gross -- one toaster in the trash. Had a professional come in after that; cost me about $150.

They're not 100% gone - I may catch one every 3-4 months now. I was surprised to find one in my kitchen this morning, crushed by the bar of a snap trap. Busted!

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 9704/07/2012

Ultrasonic noise diffusor to drive them crazy.

Glue and steel traps everywhere.

Catch, seal in Ziploc, microwave 10 seconds.

Leave carcasses out as warning.

Repeat.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 9804/07/2012

R89, how long have you been hallucinating?

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 9904/07/2012

My exterminator gave me a small package that says CONTRAC on it and told me to put it behind my stove. Should I?

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 10004/07/2012

Get a cat. Seriously.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 10104/07/2012

Dingy r101, cats need to be trained to catch mice.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 10204/07/2012

No they don't R102. It's instinctive.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 10304/07/2012

I'll be right over

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 10404/07/2012

[quote]I was in bed after midnight and heard the cat chase something. Next thing I know, the cat jumps up on the bed with me, with the live mouse in its mouth. Needless to say, I jumped up, grabbed the sheets and flung everything up into the air. The cat went one way and the mouse in another.

That happened to me at a boyfriend's house. The cat proudly jumped on us in the middle of the night and dropped the mouse he'd caught. Unfortunately the mouse, sensing its one chance at escape, launched itself off the bed and into the closet, followed closely by the now-crazed cat.

Crash. Bang. Screech. Chaos.

I thought it was pretty funny but the boyfriend was less amused. Once we wrested the now mortally-wounded mouse away from the cat, we didn't know what to do with it (it ended up in a Ziploc bag with the air sucked out, and the Ziploc went in the outside trash).

The cat was extremely pleased with himself and demanded scratches and praise before going back down to the kitchen. Boyfriend said the cat started sleeping in the kitchen after that so as not to miss any more chances for nocturnal hunting, but no other mice ever showed up.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 10504/07/2012

R101-103, yes, douchbag, they do. The mother cat trains (if she needs to) kittens to hunt and kill. Many house cats couldn't care less abut mice other than playing with them. Try reading the rest of this thread.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 10604/07/2012

My cat and I are a team: she catches a mouse and drops the stunned animal in front of me and I pick it up (not with my bare hands!) and flush it down the toilet. Cats do instinctively chase and catch mice, but if they didn't learn how to kill from a mother-cat they usually don't know how. I used to have elderly, low-energy cats who didn't go after mice, but if you have mice (and I've only had two in my cat's 13 plus year lifespan) that's a sign you should get another younger, more energetic cat. Each time my cat caught a mouse was the first and last sign that they were in the house: mice haven't lasted all these eons by hanging around a place with cats.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 10704/07/2012

Calm down R106. Calling someone a douchebag for saying cats don't need to be trained? Overreact much?

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 10804/07/2012

I have one right now - stuck on a glue trap. It's been there about 36 hours - still alive.

I'm afraid it may rally and somehow pull itself off the cardboard and jump on me when I pick it up - wanna give it another couple hours to get weaker/pass out before I feel brave enough to pick it up.

The worst experience I've had with dead mice was in my mother's apartment. She was too scared to pick up a dead mouse that had died and had gotten stuck to her floor. It was summer and I guess it "leaked". Anyway, I had to get a piece of cardboard to scrape it off the tile floor. That damn mouse split in half when I pushed against it with the cardboard. It was full of MAGGOTS! I was so grossed out.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 10911/07/2012

How's the big cheese around here?!?!

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 11011/07/2012

Best mouse disposal ever!

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 11111/10/2012

I have big can of Aquanet ready whenever I see a mouse. I spray it and then later when it's slowed to a crawl I toss it in the garbage disposal.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 11211/10/2012

[quote]There are also human traps

Solved our staffing problems quite nicely. Bar told me about that one.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 11311/10/2012

Oh, for God's sake! Handle the problem and be done with it. It's more humane to not have a mouse problem than to have one. There's no such thing as 'a mouse.' I've used the glue and the spring traps. Inexpensive and effective. Use a Cheese-It cracker; they love 'em more than peanut butter. I haven't had any mice in over a year (and boy, did I have 'em). I even pull back the spring and drop the mouse into the garbage. Then I reset the trap for future visitors.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 11411/10/2012

I was driving once when I realized that the mother of all black rats, Ben, had moved into my vehicle. I tried the humane traps as I'm a vegetarian. I tried to put my 28 pound cat into the van, but he thought it was a vet trip and almost had a heart attack. I caught the rat sitting on the dashboard one day, watching people walk by when I came out of the store. I'd dropped a pill containing codeine once, a long time prior and it was gone. The rat had taken it but it didn't kill him. Said rat also had a penchant for Sweet Tarts and chewed into bottles of Diet Pepsi. I only got rid of him by making sure there was nothing to eat or drink in the van and leaving all doors open with a pile of goodies outside. You will have to find other means. I feel your pain and wish you well.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 11511/10/2012

I heard something in my kitchen Saturday night, so I loaded up a snap trap with PB and, voila, mouse carcass today. I had an infestation a few years ago and I'm gonna keep on top of those critters - never again!

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 11611/12/2012

And will you continue to use the snap traps, R116? Let the nervous Nelly's know that once the problem is solved, there aren't any more mice to capture and release. Every trap I have has claimed at least three mice and they last a lifetime. Somehow, the meeeces got the message.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 11711/13/2012

D-Con makes a nice, re-usable mouse trap that is pretty slick. I did find that one should wash them out between mice as when mice die they do the same as other mammals and release urine and feces.

Having a cat in the house is also useful. Mice definitely know when a felid is resident.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 11811/13/2012

[quote]Glue traps. Work every time.

An acquaintance uses glue traps and then stops all the mousey thrashing around by crushing the glue trap with a paint can. He then puts another glue trap on top of the squished mouse and throws it into the trash.

Gross, but my mom had a friend who would grind up glue-trapped mice in her garbage disposal.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 11911/13/2012

Whadda production, R119. Spring trap, release spring over garbarge, dead mouse falls in. Repeat if necessary. NEXT!

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 12011/13/2012

R103, You're so wrong. Mothers are supposed to teach their young survival skills. If human mothers relized this responsibility, we'd all be better off.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 12111/13/2012

DON'T DO STICKY TRAPS. It's the ultimate in bad karma. Get "have a heart" traps and then release them into the forest.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 12211/13/2012

We had a mouse and my cat caught it. She was going to play with it until it died or ran away or until she got bored with the game. So, my mum waited until the cat had the mouse in her mouth then, she kind of shook the cat over a paper bag until she dropped the mouse. My mum rolled up the top of the bag and put it in the bin outside. She said if the mouse was smart enough to gnaw itself out of the bag before the trash was picked up, then it could escape.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 12311/13/2012

I had a rogue mouse once. Went to youtube to find out what I should do. Use a mouse trap but make sure you put a string or dental floss on it before the peanut butter. The mouse will chew on the floss thinking it's more peanut butter and will set off the trap. Don't put the trap in the middle of the floor. Put it along the edges of your kitchen floor 2 at a time right next to each other. I swear to you with my method you will catch that little fucker.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 12411/13/2012

To the people suggesting humane traps....do you trap cockroaches and drive them out to the country for release?

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 12511/13/2012

Regarding rats - when I was growing up we lived in the Eagle Park section of Providence.

We had a dog kennel out in the back yard and the rats were living underneath the dog house.

So friends and I grabbed two shovels and a rock. One shovel used to life the dog house, the other to whack the rats as they came running out.

We killed a whole bunch of rats over one weekend.

Now mice - I want them dead too. All these bleeding hearts who want to do the humane thing are kidding themselves. Mice and rats are vermin.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 12611/14/2012

Eight years ago, I had a mouse problem. I got a cat. He caught and killed one mouse within a few days. There has never been another mouse - not one dropping sighted, since then.

He's also a wonderful cat.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 12711/14/2012

My cat is useless. He has NO killer instinct whatsoever. I have had to use those Tom-Kat circular traps that trap and kill the mouse inside the little maze. Then you just throw the whole thing away and don't have to look at any little corpses. Yeah, my cat and I are great big Marys when it comes to mice.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 12811/14/2012

My little guy wouldn't know what to do with a mouse if he saw one. He's never seen a mouse. I don't want my cat having anything to do mice. I'm terrified of rodents and the thought of him with a mouse dangling from his mouth is repulsive. If I had problems with rodents, that's what an exterminator is for.

People who allow their cats to eat mice are exposing them to rodent-born diseases. Then it comes back to you.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 12911/14/2012

It's the Christmas Mouse, and he's here to bring you a cup of holiday cheer.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 13011/14/2012

get 1 of those traps that spin when the mouse goes in it but this 1 has little tiny razor blades so when it spins to trap a mouse it also chops him into pieces then you dispose of the trap properly

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 13111/14/2012

Oh no - woke up today and found TWO mice in traps. That makes three in 3 days. I think I may have a problem on my hands.....

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 13211/14/2012

For the folks who say 'please use humane traps', I live in the city w/o a car, so the logistics of taking a live rodent on a train or bus to "the forest" and releasing it is not a workable solution.

The nearest "forest" is a city park and I think they have enough vermin. I see signs in Prospect Park warning that they've placed bait stations to kill the rats there.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 13311/14/2012

call pest control or get poison pellets. close off all holes in walls. given enough time the mouse will probably die out in the open (if you're lucky). then get rid of it.

good luck (sincerely meant... i once had a big drama with a family of mice while living all alone and it was horrendous, to say the least. try as i might to appreciate that mice are harmless, i couldn't feel very kindly towards them either!)

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 13411/14/2012

What if that was a gay mouse?

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 13511/14/2012

what's with the people on here preaching this humane-ness about a damn mouse. do you guys experience the same moral qualms when you swat at flys, step on roaches, or kill ants. do you have bells strapped around your ankles warning the little ones of your passing. oh it's because he's a furry carrier of disease. that's makes him cute, so he gets a pass. whatever.

anyway try the traps, and if you don't want to use poison, try mixing flour and quickcrete together

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 13611/14/2012

You don't have to worry about "useless" cats too much. The mice smell the cat and look for more hospitable quarters. They know what cats can do even if the cat doesn't. And I've never seen a cat that wouldn't at least "play" with a mouse. The mice don't like it so much.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 13711/14/2012

I'll never forget the day that my cat was meowing loudly to come inside and when I opened the door he had an entire mouse in his mouth with only the tail hanging out. It was a present. Years ago I fed an outdoor cat outside my back door and then one day I went out to give her food and there was a giant dead rat in the pan. An offering I suppose. I've also had a dead snake placed at my back door.

Traps are better than poison because you don't have the horrendous lingering smell. Still, with a 150-year-old house I use poison in the basement and traps upstairs.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 13811/14/2012

Most house cats treat mice like a very active play toy. When my kitty got ahold of her mouse, she kept letting it go and then re-capturing it. She did, however, eat an entire june bug except for a few of its rear legs

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 13911/14/2012

Two more today! That makes 5 in a weeks time.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 14011/17/2012

R140, at least you're catching them. Do you live in a house or apartment? Make sure you seal around the pipes coming from the basement. That's how they travel. Maybe call an exterminator?

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 14211/17/2012

I've never used spring traps. I had mice twice. I used glue traps and then once I used one of those covered traps. The poison is inside and when they go in after it Slam! They're trapped and die.

The glue traps are kind of disgusting because you can watch them struggle and died. I just swept it into a plasctic garbage bag and dumped them outside. You need to act quickly to get rid of them.

Once you catch one keep the traps out for about a month to make sure. Mice run along walls so place your traps accordingly. And OP, remove anything with food in it from ground level. Pots & pans and cleaning products should be on ground level, not food products. Not even fruit on your counter.

Do you keep newspapers stacked around? Get rid of them. Do you have little openings that they can get into? Stuff them with steel wool and tape them down with electric tape. The tough black tape. You can get your traps, steel wool, tape, etc at Home Depot or your hardware store. Cheap.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 14311/17/2012

In answer to R142, I'm on the ground floor of a 99 year old apartment building. I had a horrific infestation about 3 years ago, to the point that I had to put my toaster on top of my fridge and even found mouse dropping inside it. The worst was mouse droppings on my stove every AM.

I ended up calling an exterminator even though the building has pest control come in once a month. The pest control only offers poison baits - I wanted quick results. They came in and filled in cracks under sink, near pipes, etc. In the next week, 15 mice were caught in traps. It took about a month for the vermin apocalypse to fully die down.

The grossest thing during this nightmare was finding two mice trapped on one glue board one day. As I stand there in shock, one mouse bites the other in the leg while struggling to escape and I watch mouse blood flow onto my floor. So you understand why I'm a little uptight on the latest development.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 14411/17/2012

Y'all are gonna get sick of me but at this point I feel that I have to keep a running total.

6th one caught today. I use these 'Jawz' traps that have teeth. Usually the mouse is dead when I find it. This one is still alive, with the Jawz teeth bisecting it's middle. Oh god, now I have to wait for this one to croak.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 14511/18/2012

It's highly probably that the mice are infesting other apartments too, OP. Mice carry germs, and the one thing I have learned from my experience is that every time a mouse runs it pees. Yeah. Mice run all the time. So they are squirting urine and bacteria everywhere they've been.

You might want to consider moving, or you might want to get together with neighbors and go to the management or the landlord. This infestation is no joke. Do the residents on the upper floors have the same problem?

They always come inside in the fall and they make babies pretty quickly. The gestation period for mice isn't long. So get rid of them. Just know that unless an exterminator goes thru the entire building thoroughly, it won't do you, personally, a bit of good. They just relocate.

It's possible all of you may have to relocate while they clean them out if they do it the right way. Obviously the way they're doing it now is not working. Residents need to point that out. Do you rent or do you own your apartment?

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 14611/18/2012

Mice can enter through very tiny holes. I feel for you. Next year get your traps or poison down early before you see them, maybe in Sept so that they don't start to reproduce inside your apartment.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 14711/20/2012

One more yesterday.... (that makes 6 in 10 days)

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 14811/26/2012

I sympathise deeply OP. I've had the same since last year when I moved to a new flat. It's full of cracks.

I haven't saw one for more than a month but it's making me ill. :( Like you I mostly saw them in them kitchen but I've saw mouse droppings next to my bed and my mind is always playing tricks on me. If I see another I'll just die.

Have had problems with a negligent landlord ignoring my complaints. They of course say there wasn't a problem here before. Yeah right.

If you fixed your infestation, let me know how you did it. I'm trying to gather enough evidence against this landlord.

Apparently I don't have a big problem according to environmental services (have only saw six or so since Halloween when I first saw one), but I'm going to get a second opinion from Rentokil.

by Big Mary trying to stay calmreply 14904/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.