Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Opinions on her voice, and her music.

by Anonymousreply 7512/27/2012

A breath of fresh air after years of talentless hacks with voice modulators.

by Anonymousreply 103/14/2012

Her last record is a phenomenon. No one moves numbers like that any more.

Having said that, she needs to wake up her sound a little before she becomes AOR crap. Her next record needs to be a dance record.

by Anonymousreply 203/14/2012

I pretty much agree with r2 except that I wouldn't limit her next option to a dance album - though it is a pretty good idea. She needs to keep it fresh but I have a feeling it'll be nothing but power ballads for a while.

by Anonymousreply 303/14/2012

a dance record for Adele is a ridiculous idea

by Anonymousreply 403/14/2012

All the songs sound the same. Depressing. Beautiful voice, but it's impossible to listen to her music and feel good. Sometimes I just don't want to be bummed out.

by Anonymousreply 503/14/2012

I love her voice, but I just don't care for her songs.

by Anonymousreply 603/14/2012

Adele ain't soul. She sounds like she heard some Aretha records once, and she's got a deeper voice - that don't mean she's soul. That don't mean nothing to me in the grand scheme of my life as a black person. As a songwriter, I get what they do. As a black person, I'm like: you're telling me this is my music? Fuck that!

by Anonymousreply 703/14/2012

The lyrics are interesting, and one is supposed to listen to the lyrics of Adele's songs.

The lyrics are very poetic and beautiful poetry with interesting metaphors.

by Anonymousreply 803/14/2012

Adele's voice is better than James Blunt but she can't begin to hold a candle to the young voices of Lena Horne, Anne Murray, Rosemary Clooney, Barbara Cook, Barbra Streisand, Dusty Springfield, Judy Holiday, Ann Hampton Callaway, Maureen McGovern, or Karen Akers.

She sounds as if she's a three-pack-a-day smoker after forty years of booze and smoke.

by Anonymousreply 903/14/2012

Set Fire to the Rain is the song I will play in the backround when I make sweet tender love to Taylor Lautner

by Anonymousreply 1003/14/2012

Not this thread AGAIN - it has been done a million times in the last year!

Search is your friend...

by Anonymousreply 1103/14/2012

I also don't think she sings "soul" but that's not because she's white. Christina sings soul. A gravely voice does not make "soul," nor are Adele's songs R&B. She's pop all the way. And so was Janet Jackson, by the way. This is really not about color (or shouldn't be).

by Anonymousreply 1203/14/2012

Fat, very fat! Not interesting, don't like her voice, songs, or attitude. Refusing to meet established stars at the Grammy's? A no-no. And she'll be nobody by next year.

by Anonymousreply 1303/14/2012

"Skip" is yours, R11.

by Anonymousreply 1403/14/2012

Liked Alison Moyet way better.

by Anonymousreply 1503/14/2012

She can sing, but her songs are boring

by Anonymousreply 1603/14/2012

Bruce "The Boss" Springsteen just kicked her fat lazy arse off the No. 1 position! YAY! Long live American rock, we created it ya know!

by Anonymousreply 1703/14/2012

Ultimately, she is a (faux) soul version of Karen Carpenter. Unique range and register. Sad ass and simply composed songs.

by Anonymousreply 1903/14/2012

She's a lovely, full-figured girl with an amazing voice and above-average songwriting capabilities.

by Anonymousreply 2003/14/2012

R15, I love you so fucking much.

by Anonymousreply 2103/14/2012

I love the voice, and the gal seems to have something to say with her life.

She's the stereotypical fatgirl though, at this rough point of her life she's either going to:

A) Get addicted to heroin

B) Get pregnant

C) Go all Gaga and morph into some clone of all the other glamor-singers and start jiggling her coochie all over the stage.

by Anonymousreply 2203/14/2012

I love her, her music and everything about her.

by Anonymousreply 2303/14/2012

At the Grammys last month, one could see that Adele had lost quite a bit of weight, and she looked very good.

by Anonymousreply 2403/14/2012

Too fat.

by Anonymousreply 2503/14/2012

Adele can sing, but her songs are forgettable.

by Anonymousreply 2603/14/2012

I always like a couple of tunes but to listen to an entire album of Adele's is just depressing and boring. Her voice does not transport me like Amy Winehouse, Michael Jackson, Rufus Wainwright, or even Whitney (I didn't always like every Whitney song and I wasn't a super big fan of Whitney, but her voice, even in her last album, transports your soul and I feel moved by it.

When I listen to Amy, Rufus, or Michael there's always a connection I make with everything. They resonate with me. The tone of their voice, the lyrics, the musicality... everything. I never really feel that with Adele. I tune out. I feel like I'm supposed to like her, so I kind of look for what I can like of hers.

It sort of frightens me to see how different she looked at the Grammy's with that blonde hair and all. If you let others create an image of you, how do you embrace it and connect deeply with the music? Adele sounds unsure of herself to me. The first album was better than the second.

by Anonymousreply 2703/14/2012

Adele's success shows that the public is hungry for real singers who have good songs and not the bullshit autotuned hacks who dominate the music business today (Katy Perry, Rhianna, etc.). Hopefully this is the beginning of a shift in pop music.

by Anonymousreply 2803/14/2012

She reminds me of the girl singers of the 1960s: Dusty Springfield and Lesley Gore

by Anonymousreply 2903/14/2012

I could never get into Rufus Wainwright; he is just such a whiny, entitled bitch.

by Anonymousreply 3003/14/2012

She's the greatest singer since Whitney Houston.

by Anonymousreply 3103/14/2012

Lame Songs. She is the fat chick demo - which is a much larger demo these days than when Allison Moyet tried it in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 3203/14/2012

There should be no comments on Adele's weight or body. She is a singer, not a model.

The Queen of Soul is Aretha Franklin and nothing changes this even though people feel the need to comment on her weight as well.

by Anonymousreply 3303/14/2012

She became a model when she first put her fat face on a cd cover.

by Anonymousreply 3403/14/2012

Aretha Franklin (and Mama Cass) had good songs, nobody cared about their weight.

by Anonymousreply 3503/14/2012

Well, I cared about MY weight and look where the fuck it got me.

by Anonymousreply 3603/14/2012

Bump for the new James Bond theme

by Anonymousreply 3710/05/2012

She's no Loretta Lynn, that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 3810/05/2012

Love Adele

by Anonymousreply 3910/05/2012

She's a very good singer, so I won't call her "overrated."

I just personally don't find her music as amazing as many people seem to think. Good, yes, and I can see she has talent, but she doesn't move me or astound me in any particular way. And while the voice is great, the songs are just meh. Again, that's just my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 4010/05/2012

Can't listen to her anymore.

by Anonymousreply 4110/05/2012

I MISS AMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4210/05/2012

though Chasing Pavements was a winner

by Anonymousreply 4310/05/2012

they say SKYFALL will be the most downloaded song of Adele's career, if not the most downloaded EVER, yes, it's really trending that big. Personally, I think she's kind of low class.

by Anonymousreply 4410/05/2012

Skyfall is haunting. I'm not a fan of her caterwauling but I've already listened to it about 6 times.

by Anonymousreply 4510/05/2012

God, she's horrible. Straining, dull and boring, lacking in soul and spirit, vocally limited, and those songs she sings are simplistic, whiny and fat-girl fantasizing. Inauthentic pretension.

"Skyfall"? Eat shit, Adele.

by Anonymousreply 4610/05/2012

Is this overrated, oversized bitch still complaining about paying taxes?

by Anonymousreply 4710/05/2012

I agree with R40. I also give her credit for managing her fame particularly well.

I wasn't at all impressed with Skyfall - thought it was boring.

Should've given Florence Welch a shot - she would have written a far more interesting song.

by Anonymousreply 4810/05/2012

I just read that 21 has sold 25 million copies worldwide. That's incredible considering the state the music industry is in right now.

There's a lesson for the industry in her success. But what is it?

by Anonymousreply 4911/18/2012

[quote]There's a lesson for the industry in her success. But what is it?

Write and sing your own songs.

by Anonymousreply 5011/18/2012

I am an old fart that listens to Opera. There have been only two contemporary CD's I purchased the the last 25 years. Song bird and poet Macy Gray and Adele

by Anonymousreply 5111/18/2012

I can believe how quick she had her baby.

by Anonymousreply 5211/18/2012

[quote]I can believe how quick she had her baby.

A little bacon grease on the twat and it popped right out.

by Anonymousreply 5311/18/2012

She'll have a monster number one with 'Skyfall'. Patrons were dancing in the aisle.

by Anonymousreply 5411/18/2012

I think she's boring and don't like her voice, songs or image. I also can't stand Annie Lennox.

by Anonymousreply 5511/18/2012

46 & 55 said it best. No range or vocal acrobatics so I can't get excited about her. I often parody her Skyfall in a droning voice and it drives everyone crazy. Such dumb lyrics. Easy to make fun of.

by Anonymousreply 5611/18/2012

Skyfawwww is a terrible song. Looks like it's going to be overplayed like that dreary stalker's anthem 'Someone Like You'

by Anonymousreply 5711/18/2012

She is a cute-eyed frau.

by Anonymousreply 5811/18/2012

I think she's tremendous.

by Anonymousreply 5911/18/2012

Adele has a decent voice but she has very limited range, her songs mostly sound the same and on the higher notes she sounds strained. I like "Chasing Pavements" the best. I think "Skyfall" is terribly boring and average at best.

I would like her next album to be something completely different. I would think after having a baby she'll have something happy to write about? Unless she decides to devote an album to postpartum depression lol

In the end, it was good she briefly swooped in over the non-singers Katy, Rihanna, Ke$ha and Taylor. They're all back now though.

We need more interesting talented girls.

by Anonymousreply 6011/18/2012

Like Amy Winehouse, too much, too soon with all the Grammys and hype. I liked "Rolling in the Deep" at first but after the Grammys was sick of it, it was even used in the ads during the show! And people don't even know what the song is about, supposedly it's a gang expression in London about having someone's back. I didn't like any of the other songs from her album and was recently accused of being a bully on FB for saying I thought she needed to lose some weight and to cut down on the makeup.

by Anonymousreply 6112/24/2012

her average is 6 Christmas pudding pies a day,4 meat and lard pies

by Anonymousreply 6212/24/2012

Many can sing, for me it's the emotional edge she brings to her songs. Seems very authentic to me. I seldom buy popular music as I listen to opera. The only two CD's other than hers was my girl, Macey Gray, songbird and poet.

by Anonymousreply 6312/24/2012

Her Bond song was unmemorable, at best.

I agree she peaked. She is following the trajectory of Norah Jones, Alanis Morissette, Tracey Chapman and (perhaps) Lady GaGa

by Anonymousreply 6412/24/2012

She's not Cher!

by Anonymousreply 6512/24/2012

Adele is Taylor Swift for fat chicks. Both have terrible music.

by Anonymousreply 6612/24/2012

[R66] Like the rat said to the exterminator, "you disgust me".

by Anonymousreply 6712/24/2012

Damned right she's not Cher, she won't last a quarter of the time Cher's lasted. She doesn't have the spark or talent of Cher.

by Anonymousreply 6812/24/2012

She's not that great a singer and her voice, while good, isn't exactly Whitney. She's had her big year, it's all down hill from here on.

by Anonymousreply 6912/27/2012

Great Hairdo philosophy. Make your head appear enormous to create an illusion of a slimmer figger.

by Anonymousreply 7012/27/2012

I keep forgetting is she the capital of India or the capital of South Australia?

by Anonymousreply 7112/27/2012

Adele is a great singer and songwriter and she plays the guitar. Cher is none of those.

by Anonymousreply 7212/27/2012

Her albums are too monotonous and over-produced, but she did a nice job with the Raconteurs' Many Shades of Black. Jack White would be a good producer for her.

by Anonymousreply 7312/27/2012

You're a right bunch of cunts, you are.

by Anonymousreply 7412/27/2012

Few singers can get up and sing with just a piano or guitar and pull it off.

by Anonymousreply 7512/27/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!