Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Gawker -- Going Downhill?

I realize that Nick Denton is forever fucking with the site to keep it fresh. But since AJ Daulerio took over, I find myself with little interest in any of the content.

I miss Gossip Roundup. I miss Richard Lawson. And now, Brian Moylan is leaving.

Anyone else who visits there regularly?

by Anonymousreply 5506/28/2013

Miss my gawker stalker.

by Anonymousreply 103/13/2012

Brian Moylan is leaving? Damn, he was the only good writer left.

Yeah, the content has really gone done hill. None of the new writers are interesting.

by Anonymousreply 203/13/2012

Richard Lawson now writes for The Atlantic Wire. He's still hilarious and charming, and his columns are now far longer and more substantial than the Gawker format allowed. Fuck Gawker.

Although I still love Max Read.

by Anonymousreply 303/13/2012

Gawker Stalker is still around but it's a shadow of its former self.

Brian Moylan could be annoying, but he did talk regularly about certain gay celebs that interested me and now that's going to be over.

by Anonymousreply 403/13/2012

Is Defamer still online?

ONTD and Twitter rendered all gossip blogs useless

by Anonymousreply 503/13/2012

I liked Gawker for the gossip as well as the commenters.

ONTD isn't a good substitute because it's way too slow, covers way too many celebrities I've never heard of and is filled with 15 year old girls.

by Anonymousreply 603/13/2012

Jim Newell left too. He's at Wonkette now. It's as if everyone who was there for the hideous redesign is gone. I know their numbers plummeted after the redesign, I wonder if they never rebounded? I'm kind of bummed about Moylan and am sad he didn't even write a goodbye post.

by Anonymousreply 703/13/2012

defamer.com just redirects to gawker.com.

[quote]ONTD and Twitter rendered all gossip blogs useless

Disagree about Twitter. Bloggers' Twitter accounts can be great complements to their blogs; you can read along as they develop stories.

by Anonymousreply 803/13/2012

R4, when have you seen a Gawker Stalker post? I haven't in years. I have a love/hate thing with the site. I abandoned it after Choire Sicha left. I came back around with Lawson, who I think is seriously funny. Moylan? Funny at times but, no Lawson.

That all of the good writers have left, and now Lawson? Yeah, I'm gone again. There used to be so many great commentors, but Nick Denton seems to think the proletariat isn't important.

by Anonymousreply 903/13/2012

All the comments under one post yesterday were complaints about how cheap the site's stock photos look.

by Anonymousreply 1003/13/2012

R9, here's the link to Gawker Stalker or what's left of it, it still gets occasional posts, but it's not the same as it was years ago.

R10, I saw that too and that's when I started to suspect something was going wrong with the site if the regulars were noticing something like that.

by Anonymousreply 1103/13/2012

I can't see the comments on Gawker anymore and I have no idea why. I've tried clicking on EVERYTHING.

by Anonymousreply 1203/13/2012

I've been quoted TWICE on Gawker from the DL.

by Anonymousreply 1303/13/2012

Congrats R13. You get a cookie.

by Anonymousreply 1403/14/2012

Wonkette sucks too, now r7. The only interesting somewhat interesting site is i09, if you're into geek things.

by Anonymousreply 1503/14/2012

It's been going downhill for a long time. It's been months since I visited it and I haven't missed it at all.

by Anonymousreply 1603/14/2012

It seems like gossip blogs reach a peak that only lasts for about 4 or 5 years at the most and then it suddenly goes to shit because the person(s) that runs it either sells out to PR people or steps down and lets other people takeover.

I'm waiting for another blogger to come around who gives REAL gossip again and isn't a PR puppet.

by Anonymousreply 1703/14/2012

>>I can't see the comments on Gawker anymore and I have no idea why

Don't worry. You aren't missing anything. The comments have gone down hill too

by Anonymousreply 1803/14/2012

I get my main fix for BIs on Blind Gossip now. Gawker's editorials feel kind of stale (I'm missing the snarky bits). Queerty at least features gay club scene news which I don't find anywhere else.

by Anonymousreply 1903/14/2012

I don't go there very often, mostly because I hate the layout. I find that I check out the 2 or 3 main stories, then ignore everything in that horrible scrolling window on the right side & the small print stuff at the bottom. It's just ugly & hard to look at.

The Gothamist websites have been trying to force a similar layout on people, but at least they give you the option of switching to a more pleasant blog view.

by Anonymousreply 2003/14/2012

I find that Gawker increasingly posts stories in the afternoon that I've already read about elsewhere earlier that day. Petty, not particularly interesting stories. As though they have a quota to fill for the day and get desperate as the day goes on.

It does seem to be in a crappy place right now but this has happened from time to time and they've always bounced back. I wouldn't write them out altogether just yet.

by Anonymousreply 2103/14/2012

[quote]I wouldn't write them out altogether just yet.

I would.

by Anonymousreply 2203/14/2012

When AJ Daulerio took over as editor, the first thing he did was institute a little contest of sorts where each writer would be assigned a given day during which they would pull out the stops to generate page views. So they would find outrageous stories and use keywords in their headlines that would attract eyeballs. It was supposed to be a bit of fun but came across as a pathetic act of a site on its last legs.

by Anonymousreply 2303/14/2012

Their commenters have gone way downhill too.

by Anonymousreply 2403/14/2012

Brian was a consistent voice but could you even call him a Choire substitute?

by Anonymousreply 2503/14/2012

Where would these horrible find jobs other than Gawker? Are these full-time jobs? You would think they would stay at Gawker forever.

by Anonymousreply 2603/14/2012

There are lots of new kids on the block, most notably The Atlantic Wire and Buzzfeed. That's where I've seen most recently departed Gawker writers end up. Of course Choire started his own blog, The Awl.

Very weird that Brian didn't say goodbye himself, nor did AJ. Some drama must have gone down.

by Anonymousreply 2703/14/2012

Matt Cherette, who used to be behind Gawker.TV, now writes for Buzzfeed. He's obsessed with trash like Toddlers and Tiaras, Dance Moms and Mob Wives, which in other hands could be obnoxious, but he makes it fun.

by Anonymousreply 2803/14/2012

It's been going down hill for some time now, as other have said, and frankly Moylan leaving can't hurt it any more. He wasn't the most subtle thinker they ever had, was a bit of a lemming about "fashionable" gay trends, and was downright childish about banning commenters who had the temerity to now wholeheartedly approve of everything he wrote.

Gay hipsters are just as bad as straight ones. Moylan and his ironic mustache won't be missed.

by Anonymousreply 2903/14/2012

Without a doubt it is going downhill. Completely boring, lacking humor, and sparse. How about some posts before 10:30 am??

by Anonymousreply 3003/14/2012

I really miss Gossip Roundup. I have no idea why they decided it was a good idea to get rid of it.

by Anonymousreply 3103/14/2012

Hey R13 - me too....and Ive seen articles on Gawker on discussions started here on DL...

they are following the same track as the NYT Style section: writing about trends or what they see as 'hip' five months too late

by Anonymousreply 3203/14/2012

I still like Gawker a lot, because it covers stories more honestly than other places.

But what I hate about it is that they don't keep their good writers. They must pay them shit. And abuse them. And whatever.

Not a good sign.

I suppose Nick Denton is just another English psycho ala Brooks, Brown, et al.

by Anonymousreply 3303/14/2012

Gawker was always a talent agency funded publicity site. How can it go downhill? I never took it seriously in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 3403/14/2012

I hope they hire someone unlike Moylan: he was predictable, cliched and unfunny

these sites think they need to hire flaming queens to give them gay street cred

by Anonymousreply 3503/14/2012

The comments section is just a goddamn mess. I don't know how anybody navigates it since they changed over to this format. That's 99% of the reason I stopped going to any of the Gawker sites.

by Anonymousreply 3603/14/2012

[quote]The comments section is just a goddamn mess. I don't know how anybody navigates it since they changed over to this format. That's 99% of the reason I stopped going to any of the Gawker sites.

I imagine people have also gotten tired of the invite-only commenting policy.

by Anonymousreply 3703/14/2012

Oh yeah, that too. Before the invite-only commenting, you could write one out and hit 'post' but they would hold it and only post it if it was deemed "good enough" or popular enough by some nebulous comment approval group.

Their comment policy actually out-does TWOPs comment crazy. And that is damn hard to do.

by Anonymousreply 3803/14/2012

Only total fucking idiots read ONTD.

by Anonymousreply 3903/14/2012

Buzzfeed is too busy, but I do read it regularly anyway.

by Anonymousreply 4003/14/2012

[quote]Only total fucking idiots read ONTD.

I agree. It's for teen fangurls. I can't believe people on here post links from that shitty site.

by Anonymousreply 4103/14/2012

[quote]Only total fucking idiots read ONTD.

I agree. If I want to read about the latest goings on with some lame Disney star, I'll read ONTD.

And their comments section makes Gawker look like some kind of brain trust.

That place is for teen girls.

by Anonymousreply 4203/14/2012

I hate ONTD for the simple reason that it loads like molasses on even the fastest computer.

by Anonymousreply 4303/14/2012

Brian Moylan posted things that showed gay men in a bad light.

by Anonymousreply 4403/14/2012

One of the best things they did was doing the Real Housewives recaps, especially Richard Lawson. They were works of art, amazing flights of fancy. That's irreplaceable, and there's no way Atlantic Wire will have him doing them.

by Anonymousreply 4503/14/2012

I agree with R45.

by Anonymousreply 4603/16/2012

Has anyone done Nick Denton? Someone must have some dirt.

by Anonymousreply 4703/16/2012

They've redesigned most of the Gawker sites again and it blows. The whole format is terrible, giant pictures that load up on your screen instead of the scroll panel. And the comment section is another mess.

I give up with that place.

by Anonymousreply 4804/11/2013

Brian Moylan has moved on to The Hollywood Reporter (hollywood.com), where he does Housewives recaps et al, but also writes for Vice (usually on gay-related topics, and often on vulgar gay-related topics).

by Anonymousreply 4904/11/2013

R48 It seems like Denton is giving up his resolve to not become the National Enquirer in his efforts to max profits on his sites. The content and layout is mostly hideous. I do like Cord Jefferson (and Hamilton Nolan but not as much) though and hope he/they move(s) on to a better site/gig/job soon. Jezebel is a fraufest joke and just proves Denton's misogyny in allowing it to exist as it is.

by Anonymousreply 5004/11/2013

They all seem to have turned into a bunch of teenagers with there stories. Too much opinion piece-like moments in their articles.

by Anonymousreply 5104/11/2013

Is A.J. Daulerio dead yet? Also, Rich Juzwiak sucks.

by Anonymousreply 5206/28/2013

I miss gawker stalker and pot psychology - don't bother going to gawker.com much at all anymore..

by Anonymousreply 5306/28/2013

I don't think there's any good celeb gossip sites anymore (ones that give REAL gossip, not PR bullshit). It's sad.

by Anonymousreply 5406/28/2013

Brian Moylan is a huge asshole. And a shitty writer, too.

by Anonymousreply 5506/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.