Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Shirley Jones

She had a few great gifts. She was truly a pretty woman (sexy figure, pretty face, pretty blonde hair). She had a nice silvery soprano for musical theater roles. And no one ever looked happier singing than she did. The only thing worth watching about Partridge Family repeats is getting to watch her big happy smile whenever she sings--but whenever she has dialogue, she just sounds snippy and vaguely pissed off all the time. (And all the children were equally terrible actors--Susan Dey and Davd Cassidy always seem stoned.) She was a terrible actress.

How did she ever win an Oscar for Elmer Gantry? She's pretty awful in it.

by Anonymousreply 11402/20/2013

That Marty she married must be pure testosterone because he sure didn't win the looks lottery.

by Anonymousreply 103/11/2012

There's a story he tied her up during sex and then had a paralyzing heart attack. She screamed for help, and finally the maid came in and had to fist call the ambulance and then untie her.

by Anonymousreply 203/11/2012

[quote]That Marty she married must be pure testosterone because he sure didn't win the looks lottery.

Maybe he was very nice. Girls like nice.

by Anonymousreply 303/11/2012

Her kids think Marty is insane and have tried to get her to leave him many times.

by Anonymousreply 403/11/2012

[quote] Her kids think Marty is insane and have tried to get her to leave him many times.

And she has. But she's always gotten back together with him.

by Anonymousreply 503/11/2012

Her performance as Laurie in Oklahoma was perfection. She should have been Oscar-nominated.

by Anonymousreply 603/11/2012

"How did she ever win an Oscar for Elmer Gantry?"

Playing against type.

by Anonymousreply 703/11/2012

Who cares about some old Republican hag?

by Anonymousreply 803/11/2012

She was never a brilliant actress as OP said, but she's quite good in OKLAHOMA and the less successful film of CAROUSEL. And she and Robert Preston are so charming together in THE MUSIC MAN, which otherwise could have just been hideous schmaltz. Her role in ELMER GANTRY shocked people.

by Anonymousreply 903/11/2012

I have all The Partridge Family DVD's and I treasure them.

by Anonymousreply 1003/11/2012

"He got to howlin' "Repent! Repent!" and I got to moanin' "Save me! Save me!" and the first thing I know he rammed the fear of God into me so fast I never heard my old man's footsteps! "

You couldn't use a line like that in a movie today.

by Anonymousreply 1103/11/2012

[quote]Susan Dey and Davd Cassidy always seem stoned.

Pretty realistic for the time.

by Anonymousreply 1203/11/2012

"Susan Dey and Davd Cassidy always seem stoned."

Cassidy was stoned, Dey was just hungry.

It's been rumored that Shirley is a wild woman, not her wholesome image at all.

by Anonymousreply 1303/11/2012

[quote]the maid came in and had to fist call the ambulance and then untie her.

Ooh! Fist calling! That sounds really kinky.

Nasty maid!

by Anonymousreply 1403/11/2012

I thought her sometimes exasperated snippy tone on the Patridge Family was pretty true to a single mother with 5 kids. She had her hands full (Danny alone should have driven her into a homicidal range). I thought her interaction with her "kids" on the show was more realistic than Carol Brady.

I agree she helped keep Music Man from being too smaltzy. She was Laurie personified when she made Oklahoma. The role was perfect for her. She might not be the best actress, but I don't think she was bad.

by Anonymousreply 1503/11/2012

Barbara Cook did a song in her cabaret act about (among other things) the ingenue roles she created on stage (so marvelously) all going to Shirley Jones for the movie version.

I don't think they're pals.

by Anonymousreply 1603/11/2012

I think she was too insipid to have a lasting movie career once those big musicals of the 50s and early 60s were over. Isn't she also in a Pat Boone musical, APRIL LOVE perhaps?

She is good too in a supporting role with Jean Simmons in THE HAPPY ENDING in 1969 where they go on vacation together, maybe to Acapulco, looking for men and find a rather aged Bobby Darin ....

She was so wholesome by the time of ELMER GANTRY that just playing a hooker automatically got her the best supporting actress, while the star Jean Simmons was not even nominated!

by Anonymousreply 1703/11/2012

Shirley loves Marty's outrageous and dangerous sense of humour. First husband Jack Cassidy was similar in that way. She's said that she's drawn to men who behave like she doesn't dare to.

by Anonymousreply 1803/12/2012

Wasn't there a rumor that Marty Ingalls continually sold stories about her and her sons to the tabloids? There was a spell about ten years ago when there seemed to be items about her in the National Enquirer every other week. Even that heart attack story sounds like the kind of thing he'd make up and sell.

by Anonymousreply 1903/12/2012

Saw her in a tour of "The Sound of Music." She was great in the lead role.

by Anonymousreply 2003/12/2012

It's fun to watch the Partridge Family "videos" during each episode. Some of those songs really are truly fine examples of good pop music. And when certain segments of the songs feature shots of Shirley, David and Susan together it's really nice because they were all so beautiful & great looking...

by Anonymousreply 2103/12/2012

Had her on a flight a couple of years ago. She was excited because she had just found out she had been nominated for an Emmy that morning for an appearance on Law and Order ( which she later won). Very nice and gracious lady.

by Anonymousreply 2203/12/2012

Jack Cassidy was incredibly handsome. She's really slumming it with Marty Engels, he's uglier than a hatful of assholes.

by Anonymousreply 2303/12/2012

[quote]that just playing a hooker automatically got her the best supporting actress,

As it did a few others in the late fifties/early sixties. The joke was that if you wanted to get nominated, you needed to play a hooker or a nymphomaniac.

by Anonymousreply 2403/12/2012

I waited on her a bunch of times when she stayed at the hotel I waitered at. She is a lovely lady.

I have a dear friend from Bulgaria. He lives here now. Once, we were watching television and the Partridge episode where they encounter the skunk was on. My friend thought that was the funniest thing he'd ever seen. He'd go on and on, "...and then they had to bathe in tomato juice! Hahahahaha...".

Anyway, I told her that story. She thought that was hilarious. She's keep repeating what he said using his accent. She told me to call him on my phone. I did and she talked to him. She told him to come down to the hotel where we were at because she'd love to "...meet a fan...". He did and we took photos and she talked to him for several minutes. He was star-struck and she was very gracious.

by Anonymousreply 2503/12/2012

[quote]She is good too in a supporting role with Jean Simmons in THE HAPPY ENDING in 1969 where they go on vacation together

It was impossible for ANYONE to be good in that crappy movie.

by Anonymousreply 2603/12/2012

[quote]Barbara Cook did a song in her cabaret act about (among other things) the ingenue roles she created on stage (so marvelously) all going to Shirley Jones for the movie version.

That's interesting, r16, as the only role I can think of that Barbara Cook created on stage and was subsequently played by Shirley Jones on film Is Marian in "Music Man." Did she claim there were any others?

The only other role I can find that they both played (though neither "created" it) was Julie in "Carousel," and Shirley did that one before Cook!

by Anonymousreply 2703/12/2012

She's another one of those singers/performers in the "Julie Andrews" mold who are simply likeable, gracious, sweet and have a wonderful energy about them. A true star. Carol Burnett is another. So is Bernadette Peters.

Shirley was around during the last gasp of the golden age of Hollywood musicals and made some classics. She was THE quintessential Laurie and Marian, the librarian. For those roles, alone, she was endeared to movie fans and found her place in film history. Shirley Partridge was icing on the cake but what a cake! And what icing! One of the all-time best TV moms, along with Florence Henderson and Barbara Billingsley.

by Anonymousreply 2803/12/2012

Just like when Donna Reed played a hooker in "From Here to Eternity", folks were so shocked that Jones played against type, that they gave her an Oscar. I can't stand Shirley - she and Debbie Reynolds are two of the most annoying screen presences from the tail end of H'wood's Golden Age. But Shirley was a bit more tolerable than Debbie.

by Anonymousreply 2903/12/2012

r29

What about Jane Powell?

by Anonymousreply 3103/12/2012

r31, Joan Crawford called Jane Powell "that awful screeching thing" in "Conversations With Joan Crawford". I think the book is out of print now.

by Anonymousreply 3203/12/2012

r32

She was referring to Kathryn Grayson.

by Anonymousreply 3303/12/2012

Let's not forget her stellar turn as Nurse Gina Rowe in Beyond the Poseidon Adventure! Gawd, how pitiful... having to wander around, damp, carrying an oversize first aid kit that she uses to fix Shirley Knight's dislocated shoulder. Help me, Jesus!

by Anonymousreply 3403/12/2012

No, r33, it was Jane Powell. But she called her a "shrieking" little thing. I'll stand corrected on that, at least

by Anonymousreply 3503/12/2012

R30, I don't see any references to her being nominated for an Emmy for Law and Order.

She was nominated for a guest appearance in a sitcom a year ago, nominated for supporting actress in a TV movie a few years before that, and back in the seventies was up for best actress in a TV movie, losing to Patty Duke, who gave that bizarre acceptance speech.

by Anonymousreply 3603/12/2012

But it is surprising that after her Oscar win for playing a bad girl she never played another one...or for that matter, anyone of depth.

by Anonymousreply 3703/12/2012

Have always liked her. Very pretty- wonderful manner and perfect for a number of those 50s musicals. Just love how some on this thread think Partridge Family was something special or significant. It was mediocre lipsynced dreck produced in walk through fashion by it's mostly mediocre cast and talent, aside from Shirley. Good pop music? One could only say that in 2012 when pop music has become something produced by technology rather than voices and instruments- which is fine- except the music is mostly awful- and always derivative. Interesting how the good stuff continues to be those who actually sing and write and don't have some sort of visual schtick (Adele, Any Winehouse, etc).

I came of age when the Partridge Family was an unexpected hit- and it was regarded with less respect or nor more than- the Britney Spears school or entertainment. It remains of that ilk- unless you think Bobby Sherman. Tony Orlando and Dawn, Debbie Gibson et al were great stuff.

by Anonymousreply 3803/12/2012

[quote]I thought her interaction with her "kids" on the show was more realistic than Carol Brady.

I think so too. Carol Brady may well have been a Stepford Wife.

Shirely's sons all hate Marty Ingels, especially for being a parasite, living off of her and blowing all her money. Those stories of Marty selling stories to the tabloids are true.

Shirely and Marty had that strange spell where they "taught" classes for the Learning Annex on how to have a successful marriage.

I think her performance in the film version of The Courtship of Eddie's Father as Glenn Ford's girlfriend was nice.

by Anonymousreply 3903/12/2012

[quote]Shirley Partridge was icing on the cake but what a cake! And what icing!

What Mary!

by Anonymousreply 4003/12/2012

I think it might have helped some that one of the kids actually was her son, even if just a stepson.

by Anonymousreply 4103/12/2012

R27, the song that an earlier poster referred to was "The Ingenue." It's a funny song with lyrics by David Zippel. The line is something along the lines of "And movie roles you long to do, they give to Shirley Jones to do."

Cook did apparently do at least one screen test for the Music Man movie, which I wish had turned up on the Blu-Ray that came out a couple of years ago. I guess we'll never see it now.

by Anonymousreply 4203/12/2012

How a gay guy remembers Shirley Jones is truly a measure of his eldergayliness.

For me, it's The Music Man and Oklahoma (on TV!) but then I'm 62. I was in college during The Partridge Family years and never watched it.

by Anonymousreply 4303/12/2012

All guys named Marty seem edgy and twitchy.

by Anonymousreply 4403/12/2012

R25tThat was a lovely story.

by Anonymousreply 4503/12/2012

For the life of me I can't figure out R25's story. Was Shirley Jones in Bulgaria? Was he on vacation with his friend? Or did they call the friend long distance on the phone and he showed up at their table in Bulgaria moments later? I'm very confused as I am sure Shirley was too.

by Anonymousreply 4603/12/2012

r36 you are right the Emmy that Jones lost to Duke was in 1970. Funny how life works, a few years later the two would be friends via their husbands John Astin and Marty Engles.

by Anonymousreply 4703/12/2012

Shirley was good in elmer gantry. Still kinda surprising she won over janet leigh in psycho. Psycho was enormously popular. Chalk it up to shirley playing a hooker and against type. Strange oscar year for the women with liz taylor winning for her tracheotomy for lead actress playing...a hooker!

by Anonymousreply 4803/12/2012

[quote] a few years later the two would be friends via their husbands John Astin and Marty Engles.

In "Ingels" you half wit, not Engles.

by Anonymousreply 4903/12/2012

[quote]In "Ingels" you half wit,

I'll bet you have oodles of friends who truly appreciate your charm.

by Anonymousreply 5003/12/2012

thanks r50

by Anonymousreply 5103/12/2012

I eat poop.

by Anonymousreply 5203/12/2012

She had been the lead in a couple of big, traditional musicals and a John Ford movie. Giving her an Oscar was going to cement her transition into full-fledged stardom.

Well. Was Shirl ever discussed for "Song of Norway?"

by Anonymousreply 5303/12/2012

[quote]For the life of me I can't figure out [R25]'s story. Was Shirley Jones in Bulgaria? Was he on vacation with his friend? Or did they call the friend long distance on the phone and he showed up at their table in Bulgaria moments later? I'm very confused as I am sure Shirley was too

I thought I was clear when I said he lives here now. And the call was local. And I was at work. She was performing in my city and staying at the hotel where I worked. Better?

by Anonymousreply 5403/12/2012

Seems like a nice enough lady, but never understood her appeal. Thought she was OK in 'Gantry', but OK doesn't usually win Oscars. To me, she's one of those who snuck in, and should never have won. Add to the list, people like Marisa Tomei.

by Anonymousreply 5503/12/2012

[quote] Thought she was OK in 'Gantry', but OK doesn't usually win Oscars

Really?

by Anonymousreply 5603/12/2012

She's good on the t.v. show and I agree, realistic as a mom. She didn't sing on the records, I believe. Some of the songs are kinda fun in a campy way, but aren't as good as The Monkees were, they didn't have as good songwriters. "Roller Coaster" is fun.

by Anonymousreply 5703/12/2012

Who was Shirley's other competition for the Oscar her winning year? I think voters were too spooked out by leading lady Janet Leigh's gruesome murder so early in the film to want to reward her with an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 5903/12/2012

Jones was much prettier than Henderson as well.

by Anonymousreply 6003/12/2012

I would fuck Shaun Cassidy in a ny second. I like bieber too. I'll say chicken hawk so you can respond with eldergay.

by Anonymousreply 6103/12/2012

Patrick is by far her handsomest son and the only one taller than her.

by Anonymousreply 6203/12/2012

Someone should start a thread about Jack Cassidy, if it were to turn out that there were any juicy stories to tell about his bisexuality.

I noticed his vibe even when I was a little boy.

by Anonymousreply 6303/12/2012

Jones and her husband Jack Cassidy toured in Wait Until Dark. I had seen this in NY with Lee Remick. When the tour was announced I was interested in seeing Jones. Midway through the tour, Shirley was replaced by Ann Blyth. Phyllis Kirk starred in the bus and truck and I believe that tour is the one we got. Did anyone see Shirley Jones and Jack Cassidy in this play?

by Anonymousreply 6403/12/2012

She's great on an episode of "That 70's Show" where they have a Brady Bunch Fantasy Sequence.

They mixed metaphors but Shirley appeared as Mrs. Partridge. When the eldest daughter of the 70's show family asked to go on tour, Shirley said, "Sorry, Laurie, no whores on my bus."

OK, you had to be there but it was cute.

by Anonymousreply 6503/12/2012

I have been hiding the shameful fact that I had a Partridge Family album and lunch box when I was in the second grade.

by Anonymousreply 6603/12/2012

[quote]I would fuck Shaun Cassidy in a ny second.you can respond with eldergay.

Ok, Eldergay. Who else would want this?

by Anonymousreply 6703/12/2012

[quote]Jack Cassidy was incredibly handsome.

Way back when on some chat show, probably, The Tonight Show, the guests were asked what they would want should they be stranded on a desert island. Jack Cassidy answered "A mirror".

by Anonymousreply 6803/12/2012

[quote]Someone should start a thread about Jack Cassidy, if it were to turn out that there were any juicy stories to tell about his bisexuality.

Ahhh... memories...

by Anonymousreply 6903/12/2012

R27, the lyric was not actually about roles that Cook had created, just roles that she wanted. Specifically, it was:

The parts for boys you play against They send in all the clones to do And movie roles you live to play They give to Shirley Jones to do.

by Anonymousreply 7003/12/2012

Shirl was good in an old TV movie about compulsive gambling called Winner Tale All. She loses the family savings by playing cards and ends up in a WORLD of trouble. Again, by playing against type, she made a strong impression.

by Anonymousreply 7103/12/2012

R68, Cassidy had a niche playing incredibly vain, handsome stars. Consider the Richard Benjamin, Paula Prentice TV series, "He and She," and the wonderful "Fade Out/Fade In," in which he sang a hymn in praise of himself, "My Fortune is My Face."

by Anonymousreply 7203/12/2012

Marty Ingels is the poor man's Marty Feldman. But, for better or worse, Ingels is still alive.

by Anonymousreply 7303/12/2012

I have never understood the meme that Jack Cassidy is/was so handsome.

by Anonymousreply 7403/12/2012

[quote] I have been hiding the shameful fact that I had a Partridge Family album and lunch box when I was in the second grade.

I had all of their albums AND the lunch box. I kept the lunchbox and thermos and they were in mint condition. Sold it about 10 years ago for $300.

by Anonymousreply 7503/12/2012

Find A Death.com has some dish on Jack, including his final moments. Gruesome:

by Anonymousreply 7603/12/2012

Jack Cassidy was offered the role of Ted Baxter on the MTM Show. Believing that he had a movie career in his future, he turned it down.

by Anonymousreply 7703/12/2012

[quote]Barbra Cook has no right to gripe, she let herself get fat and who's going to cast that fat tub of shit?

Cook had the option of a diet. What can you do about being a moron, R58?

by Anonymousreply 7803/12/2012

She should have played a cool hard bitch on one of those them there prime-time soaps in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 7903/12/2012

R59 Glynis johns in the sundowners, shirley knight in the dark at the top of the stairs, mary ure in sons and lovers and janet leigh in psycho were the other 1960 supporting actress oscar nominees.

by Anonymousreply 8003/12/2012

I didn't have the lunch box, but I had the Partridge Family board game!!

by Anonymousreply 8103/13/2012

[quote]I have never understood the meme that Jack Cassidy is/was so handsome.

I didn't either.

by Anonymousreply 8203/13/2012

@r75, I smashed the lunchbox and album with a baseball bat in the fifth grade because I thought they were "too gay" and that my dirty little secret would get out.

I think that one of my older brothers beat me up for having them. The assholes just didn't get future camp value, nor did I.

"Heeeey, I think I love you. So, what am I so afraid of... a love that there's no cure for... blah, blah, blah...".

So, so very profound words. So deep!

by Anonymousreply 8303/13/2012

I also think Shirley was swept along with Lancaster's win for "Gantry." If you read the novel, Lulu is a far more interesting character than the Brooks' screenplay allows her to be and Gantry less a slick player and more a dumb hick with some charisma. Jean Simmons caught the spirit of Lewis' novel the best.

Also, none of the other nominees for BSA that year had a stronger reason for winning--Leigh maybe was the closest to a star playing in a supporting role which sometimes does it, but Ure, Johns, and Knight were all lesser known (in Hollywood) than either Jones or Leigh. In retrospect, I might have given it to Leigh--the subtlety of her performance grows on me as years go on, but, really, Shirley Knight is heart-breaking in the Inge (playing that shy Inge ingenue he would later expand for Wood in "Splendor in the Grass" and Ure a spirited Lawrentian heroine. I've actually never made it through "The Sundowners"--I think it's always come on too late, but love the cast.

by Anonymousreply 8403/13/2012

[quote] She didn't sing on the records, I believe.

Yup, she did.

by Anonymousreply 8503/13/2012

R58, Cook has admitted that the available roles were limited, once she got fat. But the weight gain was ten or fifteen years after "The Music Man" was released.

by Anonymousreply 8603/13/2012

Doesn't she have a glass eye?

by Anonymousreply 8703/13/2012

R87, don't know whether you mean Shirley Jones or Barbara Cook, but it's a little known fact that they and Sandy Duncan share Imogene Coca's glass eye. As a result, they seldom attend the same parties.

by Anonymousreply 8803/13/2012

Tell that bitch it's my turn to wear the eye at this week-end's SPCA gala.

by Anonymousreply 8903/13/2012

Cook didn't have the 'face' for Hollywood movies.

by Anonymousreply 9003/13/2012

There's an old Alfred Hitchcock episode on Hulu that stars Barbara Cook. She was remarkably sexy while dancing on a table (for those of us who mostly think of her as a fat, older performer), but wasn't particularly photogenic, and simply would NOT have come across as well on film.

There are also lots of Bell Telephone Hour clips on YouTube that suggest the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 9103/13/2012

Cook had kinda buck teeth, no?

But not like Gene Tierney.

by Anonymousreply 9203/13/2012

I think Cook looks just fine in that Hitchcock episode. It's not like Marian is supposed to be a raving beauty anyway - she's an old maid librarian, and the only reason Harold Hill hits on her is because she's a potential obstacle to his pulling off a con job. It's like saying Shirley Jones should have gotten the movie of SOUND OF MUSIC over Julie Andrews because Andrews wasn't beautiful like Jones. Beauty isn't a requirement for either role - attractiveness is enough.

by Anonymousreply 9303/13/2012

R91- here is that clip from the Alfred Hitchcock episode called "A Little Sleep." Ms. Cook's table dance begins at 1.22 At one point, it reminds me of the Irene Dunne 'Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man' shuffle in SHOW BOAT.

by Anonymousreply 9403/13/2012

I would have loved to have seen Cook when she replaced Sandy Dennis in ANY WEDNESDAY.

by Anonymousreply 9503/13/2012

I actually find Cook sexy and appealing and a better actress than I thought that clip. Surprised by her figure. Nice legs.

by Anonymousreply 9603/13/2012

Cook had the perfect face for radio. Beady, too-close-set eyes, an upturned nose and a soft chin. The cinema already had one Alice Pearce so there was no room for her. This fact clearly led to a lifetime of trips to Old Country Buffet.

by Anonymousreply 9703/14/2012

One has to wonder what kind of paragon R97 is. I don't suggest that Cook was a great beauty before she gained weight (her teeth, for example, could have used straightening, but it might have affected her singing). But she was widely considered lovely, and was clearly attractive enough to be a stage star.

by Anonymousreply 9803/14/2012

Why in the world was Shilrley Jones in Bulgaria? Some sort of autograph convention?

by Anonymousreply 9903/14/2012

For Charlie

by Anonymousreply 10003/15/2012

[quote]Why in the world was Shilrley Jones in Bulgaria? Some sort of autograph convention?

OK, now you're just fucking with me...kinda funny though

by Anonymousreply 10103/15/2012

R92, Gene Tierney's overbite was a thing of beauty -- rather like the single flaw that sets off the perfection of Japanese art.

I'm a big fan of Cook's, to the point of deluding myself that she was very attractive while thinner (and she's absolutely great for a fat person), but her teeth did overlap a little.

by Anonymousreply 10203/15/2012

ELMER GANTRY on TCM, Sunday March 18 at 2 PM EST.

by Anonymousreply 10303/17/2012

Jack Cassidy basically played the first gay character on t.v on the show "He&She."

You have to consider the era on that, though. I mean, his character was basically everything but partnered is the thing. It was all heavily implied but not mentioned specifically what for the era.

Shirley Jones did not really make the best choice with Jack Cassidy. Poor dear. I mean, he self medicated his manic depression to an awfully fair degree and all. Sadly, the manner in which he passed on was just quite something and yet not even really shocking if you knew of how the poor fellow was like.

Crying shame. He was very ahead of his time with a thing or two.

by Anonymousreply 10403/17/2012

It's been said that Marty had/has mental issues. But why has she stayed with him for so long, if he's that crazy.

When they were both on THE VIEW, he announced that she was going to pose for Playboy, but apparently he meant it as a joke. Shirley didn't even know he was going to say that and she had to issue a statement saying that she wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 10503/17/2012

Jack had a lot of talent. Shirley was the bigger star, then he watched David become one of the biggest teen idols of all time. Then he turned down what could have made him a bigger star...

Boy, if he had been around to see Shaun achieve his success, he would have really truly lost it...

by Anonymousreply 10603/17/2012

[quote]I mean, he self medicated his manic depression to an awfully fair degree and all. Sadly, the manner in which he passed on was just quite something and yet not even really shocking if you knew of how the poor fellow was like.

It's interesting to learn all of this, but why are you affecting the writing style of an elderly village spinster in an Agatha Christie novel?

by Anonymousreply 10703/17/2012

R 107, I always felt that the elderly village spinsters in Agatha Christie were rather like the bit parts in David Lean or Hitchcock movies, apt to demonstrate the exaggerated elegance of the under educated, rather than the peculiar patois that you quoted from that guy's post.

by Anonymousreply 10803/17/2012

I think you need to read the Agatha Christie novels again then.

by Anonymousreply 10903/17/2012

Shirley Jones plays for Fluffy

Lol!

by Anonymousreply 11002/20/2013

As blonde...she's got the look!

by Anonymousreply 11102/20/2013

David Cassidy is her stepson in real life. I read waaaay back that when he auditioned for the show, Shirley supposedly had no idea that her stepson would be auditioning.She claimed she didn't or wouldn't have recognized the name as it is very common. Yeah,right. I don't believe that for a New York minute.Sounds like Hollywood nepotism to me.

by Anonymousreply 11202/20/2013

My older straight married brother is an actor (primarily musical theater, yeah, the genes in my family are whacked, i can't stand musicals) and he has worked with her many times.

Never heard a bad thing about her. Apparently she's a pretty genuine person.

by Anonymousreply 11302/20/2013

God, I loved giving her facials and closing with a nice Dirty Sanchez from my own ass.

A real lady.

by Anonymousreply 11402/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.