Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Oscar Winning roles with shortest screen time

Supporting Actress is obviously Beatrice Straight

Actor I'd guess would be Anthony Hopkins

Actress-Luise Rainer, The Great Ziegfield?

Supporting Actor-?

by Anonymousreply 3806/01/2014

David Niven for best actor in Seperate Tables....15 minutes and 38 seconds

by Anonymousreply 103/11/2012

Isn't Supporting Actress Judi Dench rather than Beatrice Straight?

by Anonymousreply 203/11/2012

I believe Judi Dench's role in Shakespeare in Love was actually shorter than Beatrice Straight's in Network. Dench was in more scenes than Straight but her screentime in them was very brief. Straight had a monologue. I would also think Lee Grant's role in Shampoo is one of the shortest on screen. With due respect to that great actress, judging just by the role itself, it is certainly one of the least deserved oscars ever given in Hollywood.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nicole Kidman had less screen time in The Hours than Rainer did in Great Ziegfeld. Rainer had musical numbers in addition to her dramatic scenes, and perhaps Rainer's role seems smaller than it is because although she's absent from much of the movie, the movie is over three hours long. Kidman is only in The Hours for about 20 minutes.

I wouldn't be surprised if Brando has less screen time inThe Godfather than Hopkins had in Silence.

In comparison, the best supporting actor winners seem to all have relatively substantial roles. My best guess for the shortest would be Ben Johnson in The Last Picture Show.

by Anonymousreply 303/11/2012

Somebody posted the times of Beatrice Straight vs. Judi Dench once before on DL and Straight was shorter. She really only had one scene.

The woman who played Lauren Hobbs in Network should have been nominated.

by Anonymousreply 403/11/2012

Anthony Quinn had the least screen time among Supporting Actor winners for "Lust for Life."

by Anonymousreply 503/11/2012

Straight holds the record for shortest amount of screen time to win an Oscar. Hopkins had 18 minutes of screen time in Silence of The Lambs.

by Anonymousreply 603/11/2012

"David Niven for best actor in Seperate Tables....15 minutes and 38 seconds"

Another reason why it was silly to criticize Viola Davis going lead for The Help.

by Anonymousreply 703/11/2012

found this:

Judi Dench won an Oscar for her 8 mintues in Shakespeare in Love (1998), but the shortest Oscar winning performance goes to a different supporting actress: Beatrice Straight and her 5 mintues in Network (1976).

by Anonymousreply 803/11/2012

We didn't say it to be critical.....just to guide her to a win.

by Anonymousreply 903/11/2012

What about the lady who won for supporting in "Network"?

by Anonymousreply 1003/11/2012

Nichole Kidman winning Best Acress in The Hours...20 minutes wearing a fake nose.

by Anonymousreply 1103/11/2012

[quote]Supporting Actress is obviously Beatrice Straight

Whoops! Sorry, I had forgotten her name ... Beatrice Straight in "Network"!

by Anonymousreply 1203/11/2012

2002 was a strange year---Kidman as Best Actress for 15 minutes in The Hours and CZJ as Supporting Actress for a lead in Chicago!?

by Anonymousreply 1303/11/2012

Haven't seen it in a while, but I seem to recall Best Actress Patricia Neal having a rather small role in "Hud".

by Anonymousreply 1403/11/2012

true r14...never understood how Neal got nominated for lead

by Anonymousreply 1503/11/2012

Anthony Quinn is in Lust For Life for 24 minutes, i have no idea where that 8 minute urban legend came from.

David Niven's is one of the shortest, but i timed it myself last night(out of boredom), and he's in Separate Tables for a solid 25 minutes. Note: The same long as Lee Marvin in Cat Ballou

The shortest Supporting Actor has to go to Jason Robards for a 9 minute turn in Julia.

by Anonymousreply 1612/06/2012

Is this time they are actually visible on screen or can they been heard but not seen? Thinking someone like Hopkins' time would go up if it were the later, as he speaks over many of Jodie Foster's close-ups.

by Anonymousreply 1712/06/2012

[quote]true [R14]...never understood how Neal got nominated for lead

Because it was considered an extremely weak year in the category. Her studio was was about to start campaigning her for Best Supporting Actress, but she won the NYFC award as Best Actress (at the time a huge precursor to the Best Actress Oscar)and the studio shifted her campaign to Best Actress. Her main competition was Leslie Caron for The L Shaped Room and Natalie Wood in Love With The Proper Stranger.

by Anonymousreply 1812/06/2012

Beatrice Straight just has a monologue but it's a hell of a monologue.

by Anonymousreply 1912/06/2012

straight is also in more than one scene. she searches the apartment for Beale and says something like "wake up, Max, Howard's gone."

She's also in the "mad as hell" sequence, just reacting and watching with Max and her daughter.

by Anonymousreply 2012/06/2012

The joke about THE HOURS is that Julianne Moore had the most screen time of any of the 3 actresses, and she was nominated for Supporting.

Clearly Kidman and/or her handlers were determined to get her that Lead Actress Oscar no matter what.

by Anonymousreply 2112/06/2012

"I wouldn't be surprised if Brando has less screen time in The Godfather than Hopkins had in Silence."

R3, are you kidding? It seems to me that Brando has quite a lot of screen time in THE GODFATHER.

by Anonymousreply 2212/06/2012

[Her main competition was Leslie Caron for The L Shaped Room and Natalie Wood in Love With The Proper Stranger.]

Patricia Neal is an astounding actress, certainly better than Caron or Wood - and even in a weak year and a weak role (otherwise Hud is IMO a masterpiece), Neal is certainly a deserved Oscar winner. That's all I wanted to add.

by Anonymousreply 2312/06/2012

Loved pat neal too. Along with her terrific earthy performance in hud, having one child hit by a cab, one dying from measles and her strokes, she fought her way back as an actress and landed another oscar nominated role in 1968 for the subject was roses. Along with the weak year of best actress candidates and her performance, her personal tragedy played a role in her win.

by Anonymousreply 2412/06/2012

Maybe Anthony Hopkins didn't have a huge amount of screen time, but remember back when you watched "Silence of the Lambs" for the first time - wasn't his performance the one that dominated the whole movie? Well deserved, IMHO.

And Judi Dench really won her award for her previous performance in "Mrs. Brown."

by Anonymousreply 2512/06/2012

[quote]her personal tragedy played a role in her win.

Her stroke happened a year after her Oscar win. Her personal story had nothing to do with her winning.

by Anonymousreply 2612/06/2012

Well, R26, the death from measles and the kid being hit by the cab (which I happened to have seen from the window of my elementary school classroom) preceded her win -- as did her affair with Gary Cooper, and her not-yet-known-to-be-tragic marriage to the talented but plainly insane Roald Dahl. And then she died.

Granted, that death didn't get her the Oscar, but someone was carrying on about what a talented actress she is. WAS. Dead, ya know.

by Anonymousreply 2712/06/2012

R27 Pat neal just died a year or so ago.

by Anonymousreply 2812/06/2012

I waited on her at the opening night party for the premiere of "Cookie's Fortune" some years back. I told her how much I loved her work and told her she looked great. She grabbed my hand and thanked me generously, and smiled at me all night. I was completely charmed.

by Anonymousreply 2912/06/2012

[quote]Beatrice Straight just has a monologue but it's a hell of a monologue.

Yes, but she won over Piper Laurie in "Carrie" and Piper's is the performance that is still remembered.

by Anonymousreply 3012/06/2012

Hopkins easily has 30 minutes of screen time. He's actually in quite a bit of that film.

by Anonymousreply 3112/12/2012

R13, Velma is already a secondary lead in the stage show, because her story takes a backseat to Roxie's. Velma's crime is mentioned in "Cell Block Tango" but not shown, and we're never even told how Velma got off in the end. She just comes out of nowhere and joins Roxie in the final number. Whereas we actually witness Roxie killing Fred, see how her crime affected the public and attracted the media, and are shown her trial culminating in her acquittal.

The movie further decreased Velma's role by cutting several of her songs and thus screen time, since the story was now being told solely from Roxie's POV. So in the film, she is definitely supporting.

by Anonymousreply 3206/01/2014

R31, Hopkins only has 16 minutes of screen time in LAMBS. I've actually timed it because I was curious. Anne Hathaway, who won last year for Supporting Actress (LES MISERABLES), had the same amount of screen time.

by Anonymousreply 3306/01/2014

What about Helen Hayes getting a supporting Oscar for "Airport"?

by Anonymousreply 3406/01/2014

How Hathaway ever won for that insufferably smug performance, I'll never know.

by Anonymousreply 3506/01/2014

[quote]Clearly Kidman and/or her handlers were determined to get her that Lead Actress Oscar no matter what.

Well, she did manage to win by a nose.

by Anonymousreply 3606/01/2014

Denzel Washington is R36

by Anonymousreply 3706/01/2014

AnnE in Les Misa

by Anonymousreply 3806/01/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!