Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Diana Ross "Live From Central Park" on PBS tonight.

At least in NY.

An official two disc, digitally remastered DVD is due by year's end, featuring both shows with bonus extras. Shout Factory is handling the distribution.

by Anonymousreply 6907/21/2013

Isn't it a repeat?

by Anonymousreply 103/10/2012

Will it be on Blu-Ray, too?

by Anonymousreply 203/10/2012

Is that the one where she nearly got struck by lightning and whisked off the stage by hurricane-force winds?

by Anonymousreply 303/10/2012

Is this the 1983 show I almost went to?

by Anonymousreply 403/10/2012

Is this the one I'm too lazy to Google for information?

by Anonymousreply 503/10/2012

Yes, r3.

by Anonymousreply 603/10/2012

Please tell me this was no recorded in the past 20 years!

Live? The only thing deader than her voice is her career!

by Anonymousreply 703/10/2012

Why in the name of all that is good is PBS rebroadcasting this notorious trainwreck? A dangerous monsoon hit at the same time, the crowd was dodging falling tree branches and lightning bolts and Miss Ross' weave embarrassingly collapsed. Not to mention that as the audience were fleeing for their lives, for the first time ever in NYC, hordes of thugs roamed Central Park assaulting, mugging and raping people. Masterpiece Theatre indeed, PBS.

by Anonymousreply 803/10/2012

God! You idiots do know that there were 2 concerts, right? Obviously they're not going to show the one that was washed away. CHRIST! Raping people during a "monsoon", R8? Really? Shut up.

by Anonymousreply 903/10/2012

I've got my popcorn ready. I'm always down for a good laugh.

by Anonymousreply 1003/10/2012

Switch to decaf, Chudney. Jeez.

Here's a clip from the stormy concert:

by Anonymousreply 1103/10/2012

Miss Diva said she'd build a playground in exchange for use of the park. The city had to sue her to get it done, but it's there, near 81st and CPW, the Diana Ross Playground.

by Anonymousreply 1203/10/2012

r8 that were two different times, as r9 wrote there were two different concerts.

by Anonymousreply 1303/10/2012

r13 here that should be that WAS....

by Anonymousreply 1403/10/2012

My cat watches this, entranced. No kidding.

by Anonymousreply 1503/10/2012

Damn, she's got her pussy hangin' out in that sequned bodysuit!

by Anonymousreply 1603/10/2012

Isn't it a bit chilly in Central Park tonight?

by Anonymousreply 1703/10/2012

The first concert was a train wreck of epic proportions. The media went overboard on the muggings, but what a storm. Woodstock with soul and a diva who looked naked on stage. Good performance the first night, even better the second night.

by Anonymousreply 1803/10/2012

I heard that the muggers during the second concert attacked Tavern on the Green as well. Was it as bad as they said?

by Anonymousreply 1903/10/2012

Just watched it...had never seen it before. The first night she was really set to give a strong performance. The second night was a trainwreck. At times she was brilliant, but other times so self indulgent and in love with herself. Still, good or bad, she was mesmerizing to watch. You can see why people either love her or love to hate her.

by Anonymousreply 2003/10/2012

stand back, Mary

by Anonymousreply 2103/10/2012

She was a mega diva egotist at both shows. But the audience ate it up, even though Ed Koch later had to shame her publicly into handing the City a check for $250K to get the playground built.

Paramount lost $1 million producing the concert because she insisted on a three hour repeat concert the next day.

by Anonymousreply 2203/10/2012

Muggers? What kind of muggers? Drag queens?

by Anonymousreply 2303/10/2012

On July 21, 1983, Ross performed a concert in Central Park for a taped Showtime special. Proceeds of the concert would be donated to build a playground in the singer's name. Midway through the beginning of the show, a torrential downpour occurred. Ross tried to keep on performing, but the severe weather required that the show be stopped. Ross urged the large crowd to exit the venue safely, promising to perform the next day. The second concert held the very next day was without rain. The funds for the playground were to be derived from sales of different items at the concert; however, all profits earned from the first concert were spent on the second. When the mainstream media discovered the exorbitant costs of the two concerts, Diana Ross faced criticism and poor publicity. Although representatives of Diana Ross originally refused to pay anything for the proposed playground, Ross later paid the $250,000 required to build the park. The Diana Ross Playground was finally built three years later.

by Anonymousreply 2403/10/2012

thanks Ed. Are you gay?

by Anonymousreply 2503/10/2012

No, Ed is not gay.

by Anonymousreply 2603/11/2012

Mr. Koch is a confirmed bachelor. Sorry, gurls.

by Anonymousreply 2703/11/2012

Diane has never been above shaking her pussy in front of an audience.

by Anonymousreply 2803/11/2012

Diana Ross never needed auto-tune like most today's fake singers. Diana performed her heart out at Central Park. I'll give her that!

by Anonymousreply 2903/11/2012

On a serious note, what astonished me about the concert was the lack of gimmicks, back-up dancers, extravagant stage set-ups, etc. It was just a talented performer belting her heart out. The concert was from '83, so it the pre-Madonna era. After Madonna, concerts became more about spectacle and less about talent.

by Anonymousreply 3003/11/2012

Jesus fucking Christ, Madonna is not the center of the universe and does not need to be inserted into every godamned thread around here.

by Anonymousreply 3103/11/2012

"You never say, "The Sherry Netherland"- you simply say "The Sherry"!

by Anonymousreply 3203/11/2012

[quote]The concert was from '83, so it the pre-Madonna era. After Madonna, concerts became more about spectacle and less about talent

That's true, but Madonna's Blond Ambition Tour was her best! Wish this was available on Blu-ray.

by Anonymousreply 3303/11/2012

LOL--love the clip of Ross screaming at the people in the park: "STOP IT! STAND UP STRAIGHT!"

by Anonymousreply 3403/11/2012

Why did she never try more seriously at acting? She actually had talent, but aftershowing so much promise in "Lady Sings the blues" she chose such terrible projects: a Ross Hunter-styled rags-to-riches tell-all trashpic, and then a musical for which she was twenty years too old to play the title role and where she completely overacted. Why didn't she take acting lessons after 19072 to work on her craft?

by Anonymousreply 3503/11/2012

There were reports of gangs descending on Tavern on the Green, looting and beating up families and couples who were dining there.

by Anonymousreply 3603/11/2012

It's been years since I've seen this, but I think the band is never seen even for an instant. It's just Diane.

by Anonymousreply 3703/11/2012

LOL, marry me, R32. I think you and I are the only people who actually read "All That Glittered."

by Anonymousreply 3803/11/2012

I like it when she stops singing God Bless the Child for a moment to tell the audience to quiet down because this is a quiet song.

Also the part where she thrusts out her pussy and screams "Spreading Love".

by Anonymousreply 3903/11/2012

So did she fuck Michael Jackson or didn't she?

by Anonymousreply 4003/11/2012

Seems that PBS pledge periods are getting longer and longer. PBS must be really suffering from the GOP's budget cuts. (Florida's Governor Rick Scott vetoed all funds for public radio and TV, and I'm sure other GOP governors are doing the same.)

by Anonymousreply 4103/14/2012

I like when she mumbles her way through the first part of "Beat It" before getting bored and moving on. "You know how much I love Michael, right???"

by Anonymousreply 4203/14/2012

I dont understand why this is so special. It was like 30 years ago and is available on DVD.

by Anonymousreply 4303/14/2012

This show was NEVER available on dvd until now 2012!

800.000 people went to the Great Lawn at Central Park to see her!

I think it is pretty impressive

NO one could do that today & they ALL came back the second day!

by Anonymousreply 4404/13/2012

It's unbelievable that it's taken 29 years for this news worthy concert to finally find it's way to DVD! The HD picture quality is pristine and the audio is simply FANTASTIC!!!

by Anonymousreply 4504/13/2012

I was a young kid when I first saw Live In Central Park, both nights. Diana Ross was then and still is my favorite of all time. You'll never be sorry if you have never seen it before. Buy today and enjoy!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4604/13/2012

Is anyone watching Lionel Richie and Friends in Concert tonight??? It's on CBS and it's awesome and Kenny Rogers just sang "Lady" with Lionel. Amazing!!!! Everyone please watch and let's discuss later!

by Anonymousreply 4704/13/2012

[quote]Seems that PBS pledge periods are getting longer and longer.

I thought I was the only one who noticed this.

by Anonymousreply 4804/13/2012

Am I the only one who cracks up when she did a cover of "Maniac"? She was struggling with the dance moves!

by Anonymousreply 4904/13/2012

"SING WITH ME, NEW YORK!!!"

by Anonymousreply 5004/13/2012

No, R49, I laughed my ass off.

by Anonymousreply 5104/13/2012

How ironic that she let her hair "Flo" free.

by Anonymousreply 5204/13/2012

I know our dreams will never die Dreams see us through to forever Where clouds roll by For you and I

Souls in the wind Must learn how to bend Seek out a star Hold on to the end Valley, mountain There is a fountain Washes our tears all away Words are swaying Somebody is praying Please let us come home to stay

If we hold on together I know our dreams will never die Dreams see us through to forever Where clouds roll by For you and I

When we are out there in the dark We'll dream about the sun In the dark we'll feel the light Warm our hearts, everyone

If we hold on together I know our dreams will never die Dreams see us through to forever As high as souls can fly The clouds roll by For you and I

by Anonymousreply 5304/13/2012

[quote]they ALL came back the second day!

Well, looking at the kind of people in the audience, it's hardly surprising that they all came back. It's not like they had jobs to go to.

by Anonymousreply 5404/14/2012

I was a street vendor that summer, and almost went to that concert, but the weather was so horrid I figured they'd cancel it.

No way was I going to stand in the middle of Central Park waiting to be struck by lightning, or just getting soaked.

by Anonymousreply 5504/15/2012

Was Diane's Central Park concert yet another manifestation of the Streisand obsession that one of the biographers claimed she had back then?

by Anonymousreply 5604/15/2012

[quote]Why did she never try more seriously at acting? She actually had talent, but aftershowing so much promise in "Lady Sings the blues" she chose such terrible projects: a Ross Hunter-styled rags-to-riches tell-all trashpic, and then a musical for which she was twenty years too old to play the title role and where she completely overacted. Why didn't she take acting lessons after 19072 to work on her craft?

Flawed as "Lady" was, Diana was mesmerizing in it. I don't know why her movie career imploded like it did. After the failure of "The Wiz", H'wood powers were quite reluctant to invest in projects with a predominately black cast. I think it was three or four years until Norman Jewison did "A Soldier's Story", and he had to do it for free. She turned down "The Bodyguard" and several other projects that would have given her staying power, but no one really knows why.

by Anonymousreply 5704/15/2012

I was available for roles.

by Anonymousreply 5804/15/2012

R35 She was reportedly offered several different roles after LSTB and Mahogany, but Miss Thing thought she was above everything that was offered to her.

Diana's biggest problem was her ego - she had to be the lead in EVERY acting role. She never humbled herself into taking a good supporting role, and that backfired. After that stupid Wiz movie, she only did two made-for-television movies in the 90's and that was the end of her acting career.

by Anonymousreply 5904/15/2012

She is like Madonna, over the hill and their lip syncing doesn't cut it. Maybe some of these old gals could go on tour together?

by Anonymousreply 6004/15/2012

R60 And Madonna's career is plummeting in her 50's just like Diana's did in her 50's.

You're right - they should do an old gals oldies tour together.

by Anonymousreply 6104/15/2012

I was too busy outrunning the murderous, marauding gang of thugs in the pouring rain through Central Park to really care that much abut Miss Ross' playlist and vocal technique that night.

by Anonymousreply 6204/15/2012

I remember seeing this taped when it just aired in '83 ..Just reviewed it on youtube ..Didnt know she was soo mezmorizing ..Yes she is kinda the "me only" type , stage to herself , no band , background singers visible ..but my eyes just couldnt be peeled from the screen ..Liked the way how she calmly guided ppl out of the rain , and yes I heard from ppl who attended there were muggings ..but without her calm reassurances , it could have been much worse

by Anonymousreply 6306/01/2012

R63 is a million years old.

Everyone in this thread is old and irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 6406/01/2012

Diane is overrated and had a lot of lucky breaks. I would have had a bigger film career but things never worked out even though I knew I deserved an Academy Award for my work in The Blues Brothers.

by Anonymousreply 6506/01/2012

But let's think of happier things r64, we might outlive you.

by Anonymousreply 6606/01/2012

This posting is totally useless. The simple question is: Will this be airing on PBS and if so, what day and time? If you can't answer that simple question than SHUT DOWN THIS USELESS LINK PLEASE!!!!

by Anonymousreply 6704/17/2013

LOL r67

by Anonymousreply 6804/17/2013

The concert was 30 years ago today!

by Anonymousreply 6907/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.