Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Does Canada Suck Now?

I grew up near Detroit, with Ontario across the river. Despite Canada's reputation for being a little backward and square, I loved it--people were polite, it was progressive, and they allowed drinking in their strip clubs at age 18 (is Happy Tap still there?) I always thought that, if worst came to worst under Christofascist Republicans, I could move there.

Now I'm hearing about their new conservative government, banning transgender people, etc...has Canada really changed substantially and become conservative?

by Anonymousreply 12611/07/2013

Conservative PM, Stephen Harper has really moved Canada to the right wing, economically and socially.

The irony is Canada's relatively solid economic situation is the result of 10 years of top fiscal management that the Conservatives inherited from Liberal Prime Minister, Jean Chretien.

Canada is subject to the same rule of governance as the USA. Democracy does not guarantee good government, only the right to choose government .. and if you choose poorly, you pay the price, which Canada is doing right now. Liberal Party leadership incompetence, which continues today under Bob Rae, is also partly to blame.

by Anonymousreply 103/10/2012

I just spent some months in Canada. I didn't find it conservative - well, not anywhere near the conservative/ring-wing mentality witnessed in some segments of the US. Canada leans more to European mentality, most people are liberal (and a minority are not).

Canadians are square, polite and the country remains backward in many respects (infrastructure, decor, cuisine all seems behind-the-times, but it's all good!). I found Canada was not unduly under the thumb of political correctness (refreshing compared to some European countries).

Governments - right wing or left wing - come and go. This generally doesn't change the mentality of the people in democracies. Just because Canada has a right-wing government doesn't mean it's changing into some intolerant, Nazi behemoth.

When Dubya was in power, many non-Americans could not separate the American people from the American government. Both were scorned. Ironically, many Americans are now projecting the same misconception on Canada.

by Anonymousreply 203/10/2012

Harper still had to be stealth about his religious affiliations. Had he brought them up during election time, it would have meant death for his campaign. Canadians just aren't very religious, save many new immigrants but that tends to go away after the 2nd gen.

Jesus just doesn't play a big part in politics, hence gay marriage and a more relaxed attitude about nudity and sex.

by Anonymousreply 303/10/2012

R5= Sydney Crosby's skidmark

by Anonymousreply 603/10/2012

How witty, a poop-infused insult. No wonder they tossed your rosebud from Canada - a nation with comedy standards.

by Anonymousreply 703/10/2012

Helen Bedd is HAWT!

by Anonymousreply 803/10/2012

How's life in the academy going mhb? Is that thesis published yet?

by Anonymousreply 903/10/2012

Tuna Christmas and Tasty Creme

by Anonymousreply 1003/10/2012

Maybe it's Skate Canada's fault.

by Anonymousreply 1103/10/2012

Hold onto that one victory MHB, because when you're born ugly and sour, it's best to work with what you have!

by Anonymousreply 1303/10/2012

r12, I'm European, a PhD results in the production of a "thesis" in most jurisdictions. Clearly, you're not attending international conferences, or moving beyond the confines of US academia, otherwise you'd know that.

Of course, if you're still referring to yourself as 'Dr' and not 'Prof' it suggests US academia is alluding you too!

by Anonymousreply 1403/10/2012

Canada's top skaters have been training under the US Figure Skating program for a few years now. The Canadian tax payer, pays for it and Skate Canada executives take their cut of this money.

Eventually US Figure Skating is going to shut that loop hole, as they get sick of Canadian skaters using US training to beat American athletes.

by Anonymousreply 1503/10/2012

The smoking gun is Dominion Voting Systems. They intend to keep Canada under the right wing thumb, same as the USA. They claim to be Canadian but it's run by two asshats who worked for an Israeli-owned Sillicon Valley start-up. They had no background in voting technology when they decided they just had to be the biggest players in the game. They generate paper, but paper by itself isn't the answer. There has to be a way to check the paper.

by Anonymousreply 1603/10/2012

We still have a lot more rights - marriage, universal health care and so on. But the current Conservative government is doing its best to change that.

It has recently come out that they stole the last election with some dirty tricks in key ridings, which gave them a majority. But even still, in terms of popular vote, the majority of voters voted against them.

Oh and MHB got deported. So things are looking up.

by Anonymousreply 1703/10/2012

UM R14, then go post on some European board. A thesis is what students in the US write for a masters degree. A dissertation is written for a phd... so perhaps your phd's are equal to our masters... but dont give me shit about not moving internationally when you clearly dont understand American education... same goes for you... and btw, who gives two shits about european education... you just want everything americans have and are bitter at us as people because you dont have them.... just like Data Lounge... Another American invention Europeans AND CANADIANS cant keep their grubby hands off of... all the while bitter because Americans invented it.

by Anonymousreply 1803/10/2012

I've always wondered if Canada swallowed.

by Anonymousreply 1903/10/2012

I had a thesis for my baccalaureat myself.

by Anonymousreply 2003/10/2012

who gives a shit. Nobody was talking to you R20

by Anonymousreply 2103/10/2012

Stephen Harper will be Canada's Richard Nixon.

by Anonymousreply 2203/10/2012

Don`t believe the ravings of DL`s lone loon going on about how Canada has become a Republican Bastion.

Harper has not made a single move towards reversing ANYTHING, even publicly announcing that he will not be re-opening any debate on gay marriage or abortions. He is a Conservative , but that would make him a leftish Democrat by US standards.

I personally have no love for Harper, but I do love my country and I`m tired of this Ànti-Harper Troll`trying to convince you all that Canada has turned Nazi and Harper is the new Hitler.

Give it a rest Troll.

by Anonymousreply 2303/10/2012

[quote]I've always wondered if Canada swallowed.

French Canada, being the more earthy type, spits, while polite anglos allows swallow.

by Anonymousreply 2403/10/2012

Yes, it sucks.

Canada may have universal healthcare and gay marriage, but don't be fooled - it's a VERY homophobic country. Worse than the US.

by Anonymousreply 2603/10/2012

R26 is either delusional or just an outright liar trying to start a fight.

Check out the link to Canadian Cities that have Official Gay Pride Celebrations, such cosmopolitan cities like Saskatoon, Cornerbrook, Moncton, Price George etc etc ... Even Calgary the most right wing city in Canada not only has a huge gay Pride ,gay Rodeo but also a `Queer Arts & Cultural Festival``

by Anonymousreply 2703/10/2012

R27 No sweetie, I'm very serious. Those are facts.

by Anonymousreply 2803/10/2012

Post some links then R27, sweetie.

Even a hick town like Winnipeg has elected an openly gay mayor. Gay MP Scott Brisons' home riding is in Hants County, Nova Scotia, about as rural and traditional as you can find in Canada. Even the small local papers there had glowing coverage of his gay wedding a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 2903/10/2012

Does Canada Suck Now?

A) Yes

B) Yeah

by Anonymousreply 3003/10/2012

Thank God MHB left the country. The air seems fresher up here since she blew back across the border. Poor America.

by Anonymousreply 3103/10/2012

I got dissertation from eating street vendor food in Tijuana.

by Anonymousreply 3203/10/2012

Toronto sucks now, but then most Canadians fled the city years ago.

by Anonymousreply 3309/03/2012

Hope your the next to join them, R33

by Anonymousreply 3409/03/2012

Canadian PM, Stephen Harper has become good friends with German Chancellor, Angela Merkel. They are the only 2 major world leaders against equal marriage in the west, now the Obama has spoken up for full equal rights.

by Anonymousreply 3509/03/2012

My impression is that Montreal and Ottawa are great places to live. And that Toronto & Vancouver used to be great but aren't anymore. Is this true?

by Anonymousreply 3609/03/2012

Montreal can be at times. Ottawa is too small and boring. Toronto and Vancouver were never really great, though they long to be.

by Anonymousreply 3709/03/2012

No

by Anonymousreply 3809/03/2012

There really are only 20 people on this board. Three of them are on this thread -- the Harper is a Nazi troll, the Toronto is a shithole troll, and mhb.

by Anonymousreply 3909/03/2012

R35, Canada HAS equal marriage. Canada hasn't swung to the right; the Conservative Party had to swing drastically to the left and more or less become the Liberal Party (pro-immigrant, pro-choice, pro-gay) to get elected. That's the great irony in Harper's career; he's been forcibly molded into a Progressive.

by Anonymousreply 4009/03/2012

OP is a loon!

by Anonymousreply 4109/03/2012

What bullshit, Harper is no progressive.

by Anonymousreply 4209/03/2012

Canada does actually suck. I think things are getting worse.

by Anonymousreply 4309/03/2012

NO way is Harper a progressive... and Canada only has Gay marriage because it was forced by the Supreme Court. Nice that Canadians are trying to make their history sound better than it really was...

by Anonymousreply 4409/03/2012

Canadians aren't trying to make their history sound better, R44. It's just one idiot (that doesn't have a boyfriend) that voted for Harper.

by Anonymousreply 4509/03/2012

The idea that Canada has become some sort of ultra-conservative waste land is completely ridiculous. Canada is a beautiful, successful and friendly country that is often rightfully ranked as among the best places to live on earth.

Harper is indeed more conservative than the great and long liberal history under Chretien and Trudeau, but it must be remembered that any Canadian prime minister has limited powers ("prime" meaning first among many). But equally important, Canada is NOT a religious country by comparison to many others, especially the US, and so conservatism here is not based to any great extent in social policy. For example, equal marriage is very much a fact of life here, and NO leader or party, including Harper, is about to revisit the issue. Universal health care is a deeply held point of national pride.

If you follow politics in both Canada and the US (as I do), it is very easy to see that the Harper Conservatives are in many respects more liberal than the Obama's Democrats. Certainly, the current Republican party has no equivalent in Canada except for a few fringe groups with no particular power or influence.

By the way, I am western Canadian born, a life-long Canadian resident, and have lived in Toronto for years. I always vote the much-more left wing NDP, just in case you think I'm some sort of Harper fan.

I think Toronto is a great place to live, with much to offer, but there are a whole bunch of highly liveable Canadian cities, including Vancouver (beautiful, very west coast), Victoria (the retirement capital), Calgary (thriving, great for business types), Edmonton (surprisingly left-wing, with a great cultural scene), Montreal (cosmopolitan, with the most beautiful men in the country), and other fine places.

And no matter who or where you are, please come for a visit and see some of this wonderful land for yourself. We'd love to show you around.

by Anonymousreply 4609/03/2012

R46 speaks the truth, and I am an American. I even agree with him about Montreal's beautiful men, despite the fact that nearly every man there is batshit crazy. Seriously, it's the dark heart of toxoplasmosis.

But yes, Canada has very nice people and some beautiful landscapes. They also have lots of foreskin, and they're eager to share.

by Anonymousreply 4709/03/2012

Yet Obama supports equal marriage Canada's PM Harper does not. Canada is becoming more right wing everyday.

by Anonymousreply 4809/03/2012

But all of the Canadians who move to the US are complete assholes--explain that!

by Anonymousreply 4909/03/2012

R48 and R50, please, the same sex marriage debate is over and done in Canada. Quit playing fear-monger.

One day after an unexpected glitch was found in the equal marriage law, this was the reaction of the Harper government, as quoted from the National Post:

"The federal government is working quickly to change the law so that the marriages of the thousands of gay couples who travel to Canada to wed are legally recognized in this country. “We want to make it very clear that in our government’s view, these marriages should be valid,” a senior government official said on Friday. “That’s why we will change the Civil Marriage Act so that any marriages performed in Canada that aren’t recognized in the couple’s home jurisdiction will be recognized in Canada.” The legislative change will apply to all marriages performed in Canada regardless of the laws of the jurisdiction in which the couple live, the official said."

Harper clearly stated at the time that the issue of same-sex marriage will NOT be revisited in Canada.

Equal marriage is here to stay in Canada. Period.

by Anonymousreply 5109/03/2012

R49, it's easy to explain. There are indeed a few "complete assholes" from Canada, but as you have so astutely observed, they tend to move to the US, where they can be with others assholes just like them.

by Anonymousreply 5209/03/2012

R51 quotes from the pro-Harper, right-wing National Post. The first thing he did, once he got his majority, was to try to screw around with gay marriage, picking on people from other countries because they were the most vulnerable.

by Anonymousreply 5309/03/2012

oops posted link in wrong spot

by Anonymousreply 5409/03/2012

You forgot to add R53 how quickly he back tracked on that, once the media and mainstream Canadians caught on. He did many mea culpas on the news for a few nights and was rightly chastened for his ignorant attempt at Christianizing Canada.

by Anonymousreply 5509/03/2012

Wow, R53, you really have got this all messed up. I am R51, who quoted the National Post article. Look carefully at the Reuters article you posted; it is dated Jan 12, 2012. The article I posted is dated ONE DAY LATER.

What really happened is this: a loophole/glitch was found in the Canadian marriage law that made it possible that same-sex marriages performed in Canada might not be legal if the participants were from a place that did not recognize gay marriage. For about a day, there was some fear, and a lot of people reacted too quickly, thinking the Harper government was trying to find a back door way to stop gay marriage. This is the point when your Reuters article (and many others like it) was published.

ONE DAY LATER, the Harper government moved swiftly and decisively to close the loophole/correct the glitch, thus demonstrating that they were determined that all marriages, including same-sex marriages, performed in Canada are fully legal. At the same time, Harper and the conservatives re-itterated yet again that they had no intention of re-opening debate on same-sex marriage. In other words, they did the right thing, and they did it swiftly.

I fully agree that Harper is too right-wing, and I wouldn't ever vote for him, but he isn't some anti-gay nazi trying to stop gay marriage. That is a lie, and you shouldn't contribute to it.

Absolute FACT: Equal marriage is here to stay in Canada. To present false and misleading information to the contrary doesn't help the discussion, nor our long-suffering American friends, for whom the battle to have their relationships fully recognized is still far from over. If gay people are going to achieve their goals, they must always take the high road, and not lower themselves to the right-wing standard of lies and misinformation.

by Anonymousreply 5609/03/2012

Does Canada Suck Now?

Answers:

a) yes

b) yeah

by Anonymousreply 5709/03/2012

R48...and yet Canada has had gay marriage for 10 years and the US has not. Obama's sentiments are fairly meaningless unless they're backed up with legislation, no?

I have no love for Harper but he isn't a true social conservative. The tiny minority of social conservatives in his party are starting to revolt because he won't reopen abortion debate.

As to gay marriage, Harper's right hand man John Baird is gay, his other right hand man Jason Kenny is rumoured to be, and even his wife is rumoured to be a lezzie.

I can walk down the street in Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Vancouver & Quebec City holding my boyfriend's hand: in how many US cities is this true?

by Anonymousreply 5809/03/2012

R56, so glad the Republican convention is over so you had the time, away from Mitt Romney, to post that thread in defense of one of the few anti-gay leaders (Stephen Harper) left in the Western world today.

by Anonymousreply 5909/06/2012

Harper is about to sign a deal with China that would set up secret courts where China's companies can sue Canada if we pass laws to protect our health and environment that effect their profits.

by Anonymousreply 6011/21/2012

nothing better than hockey hunk cock

by Anonymousreply 6111/21/2012

Harper is too a true social conservative. You told he would be thrown out in 2010. You told us he would be thrown out in 2011. Why the hell is that rat bastard still there?

by Anonymousreply 6211/21/2012

Canada is awful. Don't come here.

by Anonymousreply 6311/21/2012

link, r60?

The FP paper quoted by the CBC was disturbing, but not entirely unexpected.

by Anonymousreply 6411/21/2012

R49 Thanks for your support.

Love,

Peter Jennings

William Shatner

Pamela Anderson

Christopher Plummer

Victor Garber

Jennifer Granholm

Robert Goulet

Jim Carrey

Michael J. Fox

Alex Trebek

Jason Priestley

et. al.

by Anonymousreply 6511/21/2012

Harper knows the support for the Conservative majority government is shallow and conditional. If he goes too hard right, the Liberals would come roaring back. He only got his majority because a non confidence vote forced the second election in less than three years and people were pissed off about it so they voted Conservative in part to bring some stability to Ottawa. We'd had national elections in 2004, 2006, 2008 and 2011.

And I'm not sure who will succeed Harper. The party could falter there. He's been PM for six years, he's mid fifties... he probably wants to make some money.

I lean left (though not far enough left to vote for the NDP morons) but I don't think the country has changed at all since Harper and the Conservatives got elected.

And for someone who asked upthread... I think Ottawa is a terrible place to live. Cold for too much of the year... provincial... not nice. Our government buildings lack grandeur.

Toronto is... well, there's the most choice in everything. It's got a horrible, undermanaged subway system for which forty years of politicians at all levels are to blame. Driving is horrible because every street seems to be under construction. It's the biggest city in the country. It's fine. There are definitely more atmospheric places to live. It's biggest problem is it's gotten expensive and that's not stopping.

by Anonymousreply 6611/21/2012

r66, he got a majority because the Liberal Party is in complete disarray.

The NDP need to get the fuck off the weighted union votes and redesign their platform. They've always had good leaders, but bad policy platforms (Layton, Broadbent, etc.)

by Anonymousreply 6711/21/2012

Whatever he got the majority for it was a majority by default... the country hasn't lurched to the right by any stretch.

by Anonymousreply 6811/21/2012

here are some links, R64

by Anonymousreply 6911/21/2012

another link

by Anonymousreply 7011/21/2012

another link

by Anonymousreply 7111/21/2012

another linky

by Anonymousreply 7211/21/2012

As long as Canada keeps anti-gay Evangelical Christian PM, Stephen Harper around......yes Canada sucks now, in the same was America sucked when they elected GW Bush in 2004.

by Anonymousreply 7311/22/2012

Please by all means, if you already know everything there is to know about us, stay away from this literary, musical, cultural backwater. Don't eat our food, don't walk our streets and see actual multiculturalism in action. But if you have an open mind, come and be surprised.

We have a bad PM, but we won't have him forever.

It's a subtle country, not a chest-thumping one. There's caution, yes and it scares people. But it's a great and wildly diverse place ( just like America); there's lots of beauty in the land and the people. It's hard to define. It's anything but a shithole though. It's just a totally different place under the similar surface and takes a little adjustment.

by Anonymousreply 7511/22/2012

[quote] It's just a totally different place under the similar surface and takes a little adjustment.

EARTH-SHATTERING NEWS!

by Anonymousreply 7611/22/2012

Lets just call this era the "Harper and Bieber Era".

Needless to say, it is not Canada's finest.

by Anonymousreply 7711/22/2012

Here is a fairly typical Canadian news story about increased protection from discrimination for transgendered people, in a primarily rural part of Canada. It was on the front page of the major newspaper in Nova Scotia, but no sign of public opposition.

The Canadian constitution includes the Charter of Rights and Freedoms establishing the fundamental law on individual equality (language rights, also), but provinces also take an active role in advancing human rights.

by Anonymousreply 7811/22/2012

Canada stopped mutilating its baby boys. So on that account, right on Canada!

by Anonymousreply 7911/22/2012

I was listening to the radio on the way home and I heard an ad attacking the NDP and Thomas Mulcair specifically, put out by the Conservatives. It really sounded like a USA style Republican lie and attack ad. There isn't even an election. We just had one recently. They are trying to destroy him early with attack ads, the way they did with Ignatieff. Real early. The brainwashing starts.

by Anonymousreply 8011/22/2012

well, 60% of votes cast in the last election were for a party on the left (by American standards) so in comparison to the U.S, it is a very liberal place.

by Anonymousreply 8111/22/2012

I really love Canada, this despite the fact that I met a lot of rude people the last time I was there. (I think that's just Montreal, though.) I think we're lucky to have a functional, generous society that, while fundamentally similar to ours, still maintains some key differences, differences that allow us to put our own foibles and strengths in perspective.

by Anonymousreply 8211/22/2012

The current US administration is more Liberal than the current Canadian administration. Like it or not.

Obama supports full equality, Harper does not.

by Anonymousreply 8311/23/2012

Here are the facts. 25% of Canadians are avowed Conservatives. The left vote is broken into four different Parties: Greens, Ndp, Block [only in Quebec which has over 1/3 of the country's population] and Liberals. Even though the cons only achieved 30-some percent of the popular vote, they won the most seats enabling them to form government. Canada is by far a left leaning country. If we had the same system as is found in the U.S, Canada would be left wing for ever.

by Anonymousreply 8411/23/2012

Exactly R84. The various conservative parties had to join to a single party just to win an election.

by Anonymousreply 8511/23/2012

a primitive land with primitive peoples.

by Anonymousreply 8611/23/2012

r86, a primitive land could be described as one which doesn't care for its people, is corrupt to the core, is a theology bursting with a stilted version of Christian dogma and has little regard for equality and fairness...wouldn't that be the U.S. or say Uganda in comparison to Canada?

by Anonymousreply 8711/23/2012

What *is* the deal with Montreal, anyways?

by Anonymousreply 8811/23/2012

To the world, Canadians are the PM they elect.

Deal!

by Anonymousreply 8911/23/2012

The British PM supports full equality for Gay Brits.

by Anonymousreply 9012/02/2012

The anti-Canada trolls are the same self-loathing idiots who think South Park is comedic genius.

by Anonymousreply 9112/02/2012

But Canadians DID elect Christofacist Republicans to run their country.

How hypocritical is it to slam the USA for GW Bush but not extend the same courtesy North to Canada when they do the same thing?

by Anonymousreply 9212/02/2012

A Canadian let his actions answer OP's question: "Canadian trucker hit Washington bridge that collapsed"

by Anonymousreply 9305/24/2013

[quote]US academia is alluding you too!

I went to a state college and even I know that is a big OH MY!

by Anonymousreply 9405/24/2013

Canada still has Quebec. The only thing that has stopped a right wing take over of the country.

by Anonymousreply 9505/25/2013

Canada has already headed where American was politically back in the 2000s. It's very disturbing, but all countries go through these periods. Liberalism was a mainstay for way too long in Canada. It was not going to last forever.

Everything liberals have said Harper wouldn't dare to push or bring up he has. He knows he's safe. They have a hold on the entire process. It's frightening. Now Murdoch has a hand in the country too, pushing tons of propaganda.

It really does remind me of the Bush years, and Trudeau is ending up to be John Kerry of the 2004 US presidential race. He doesn't stand a chance, even when you know the other guy should be so unlikable and easy to beat.

Harper's the devil we know, and Canadians are going to get the government they deserve yet again. People don't vote, and the left is in shambles. They're still splitting the vote.

by Anonymousreply 9605/25/2013

Hello Conservative Party PR at R96!!!!

by Anonymousreply 9705/25/2013

William Higgins used to recruit male strippers from Windsor for his pron empire.

Those days are long gone, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 9805/25/2013

Of course Canada wasn't going to stay liberal forever. It doesn't help that Canada has the highest immigration rate from more conservative 3rd world countries. You guys should pat yourself on the back. Your immigration policy has changed the "culture" of Canada.

by Anonymousreply 9905/25/2013

The wave of immigrants coming into Canada from Asia, Islam, Russia and India are increasingly anti-gay, anti-women and far right wing.

by Anonymousreply 10005/25/2013

Canada is far better than Britain, which has become a cesspool.

by Anonymousreply 10105/25/2013

Britain's current PM, David Cameron, vocally supports fully legal equality for gays and is trying to get it legalized.

Canada's current PM, Stephen Harper, DOES NOT and tried once already, to take legal equality away from gays.

by Anonymousreply 10205/26/2013

Crack smoking right wing politicians rule Toronto.

by Anonymousreply 10305/27/2013

yeah, Canada is more greedy, rude, gross, right-wing, anti-intellectual and materialistic than it used to be.

by Anonymousreply 10405/27/2013

So in other words, Canada I almost America!

by Anonymousreply 10505/27/2013

Toronto is rude central, with no reason to be arrogant. The city is nothing but foreigners in over priced condo shopping at franchises.

by Anonymousreply 10605/27/2013

Actually R105, The USA under President Obama is getting more progressive while Canada under PM Harper is getting more right wing. The real discussion is, have the 2 passed each other? Is Canada now the more right wing country?

by Anonymousreply 10706/15/2013

it always has. Canada is the USA's attention-starved, less attractive, copycat little sister.

by Anonymousreply 10807/18/2013

[R87] You have it exactly right.

by Anonymousreply 10907/18/2013

[quote]it always has. Canada is the USA's attention-starved, less attractive, copycat little sister.

According to its slutty, bloated, used-up, old step-mom, who THINKS she looks good enough to pass as a sister.

by Anonymousreply 11007/18/2013

R110 yes so used up that Canucks keep on copying every cultural thing and then pretend it's their own. Canucks and their inferiority complex are so amusing.

by Anonymousreply 11107/19/2013

Somehow this is all Celine Dion's fault.

by Anonymousreply 11207/19/2013

I once dated a handsome Canadian.

His name was Jacques. He had a beard and muscles and he was larger than the rest of us and even in summer he wore his long sleve checkered flannel workshirt. He chopped down trees and provided winter wood for his entire village. And then he died when a tree fell on him. The village froze that winter and was abandoned by all, except for the annual Jacques memorial held on the frozen pond in the center of the village.

by Anonymousreply 11307/19/2013

If you are out of work in Canada and you have not made enough unemployment payments or your unemployment benefits have run out you do not get even food stamps, it is straight down to the food bank. Canada does have universal healthcare. According to the OECD the poverty rate in Canada is also amongst the highest of western nations

by Anonymousreply 11407/20/2013

96 Ignatieff was the Liberals' Kerry, ie stiff and dull patrician, Trudeau is the Liberals' Obama, ie cool and charismatic

by Anonymousreply 11507/20/2013

Canada today, is a cultural void. Nothing creative comes out of Canada today.

by Anonymousreply 11607/21/2013

R114, I find poverty is not as bad in Canada compared to the UK. Canada has few 'sink estates' and there are no gangs of unemployed youth hanging around on street corners. Generally, I find more affluent people in Canada. That said, I can understand the poverty levels -- deprivation exists amongst the aboriginal people and in the northern communities. The problem being, poverty is often out of sight so Canadians bury their heads in the sand about it.

by Anonymousreply 11707/21/2013

114 Indeed, but at least in the UK and most Western European nations, Ausralia and NZ etc if you are out of work you can claim benefits which are not time limited. Even the US has food stamps if your unemployment runs out, if only for a short while!

by Anonymousreply 11807/21/2013

When has Canada not sucked? It's the kind of country where it seems like every men, gay or straight, is just a bottom bitch.

by Anonymousreply 11907/21/2013

Please, r119. That's what frustrated queens the world over say about their town - "too many bottoms!" Buy yourself a good dildo if no one wants to fuck you anymore.

by Anonymousreply 12007/21/2013

And weak R115. Trudeau is not a strong leader, and neither was Obama.

by Anonymousreply 12107/21/2013

121 Well Obama won twice, and Harper is coming to his sell by date. Trudeau is also the son of one of Canada's longest serving PMs, basically the Trudeaus are the Canadian Kennedys!

by Anonymousreply 12207/21/2013

Does that mean Justin is going to fly a small plane into the ocean upside-down?

by Anonymousreply 12307/21/2013

Hope not, fortunately the Trudeaus do not have the Kennedy curse as far as I am aware!

by Anonymousreply 12407/21/2013

Um, crack-smoking Rob Rord

by Anonymousreply 12511/06/2013

yes it most certainly does

by Anonymousreply 12611/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.