Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Bruce Springsteen -Please make this sad old man go away already

I've been seeing him a lot lately and he's performing live at the Apollo Theater tonight as part of a concert celebrating Sirius Satellite Radio.

He was once so talented and a lot of his music was the soundtrack of my college years, but now all he seems capable of doing is yelling, at the very top of his lungs. Yelling and violently strumming a guitar. It's just such a tired shtick.

Can't he just quiet down and release a CD every 10 years or so if he needs a little cash?

by Anonymousreply 15907/24/2013

I've heard bi rumors about Bruce for years.

by Anonymousreply 103/09/2012

Somewhere around 1995, all of our popular and beloved rock people underwent a strange change. Bruce, REM, Pearl Jam -- all diverted into strange directions and began releasing albums of interest only to their most rabid fans.

by Anonymousreply 203/09/2012

You can't expect them to just produce more of the same, R2. It's boring to them and ultimately useless to us. With the exception of a mega-genius like Bob Dylan, few artists can keep returning to the same well and come up with something fresh.

by Anonymousreply 303/09/2012

I think he's one of the best songwriters alive, but I agree his voice isn't anywhere near what it used to be.

by Anonymousreply 403/09/2012

He and Madonna and Donna Summer and Barbra Streisand should form a quartet and redo some 80's songs like Rock Me Amadeus.

by Anonymousreply 503/09/2012

You are an asshat, OP.

by Anonymousreply 603/09/2012

OP finds Kim Kardashian and Lindsay Lohan fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 703/09/2012

apparently he likes what he does, OP, unlike you

by Anonymousreply 803/09/2012

Actually like bruce a lot. Dont think he is overexposed. He is really raw, has rock cred and really down to earth.

by Anonymousreply 903/09/2012

No, the definition of a sad old musician would be Madonna, who is 53 pretending she's still 25 desperate to be loved by people young enough to be her grandchildren. She's also a cold bitch in interviews.

Bruce on the other hand is a nice, humble guy and doesn't care about current trends - he just does his own thing.

by Anonymousreply 1003/09/2012

R10, I agree with everything you said except the part where you called Madonna a musician.

by Anonymousreply 1103/09/2012

[quote]I've heard bi rumors about Bruce for years.

That's funny, because I haven't heard of any. Are you sure this isn't just your imagination running wild? I know he's gay-friendly and supports gay marriage, but that's it.

by Anonymousreply 1303/09/2012

I still enjoy his music. The new cd is good.

by Anonymousreply 1403/09/2012

R1 is the old "epitome of bi" troll. Pay no attention to him.

by Anonymousreply 1503/09/2012

He is hot.

by Anonymousreply 1603/09/2012

[quote]He is really raw, has rock cred

I hate it when people make these ridiculous distinctions about "credibility." It's mostly about image and people looking for an excuse to trash others and pretend their music preferences are better - kinda like those people who think rooting for a winning football team elevates them above someone who roots for a team with a worse record.

by Anonymousreply 1703/09/2012

I've heard idiot rumors about r15 for years.

by Anonymousreply 1803/09/2012

I see the rabid anti-Madonna troll has found and is shitting up yet another thread.

by Anonymousreply 1903/09/2012

Like Gregory Harrison, he's aged to perfection.

by Anonymousreply 2003/09/2012

He now looks as pathetic as Mick Jagger.

These 2 old men just need to leave the big stage.

by Anonymousreply 2103/09/2012

I think Springsteen has been unlistenable for YEARS. It sounds like wailing to me, not singing. I have no idea why people still buy his music, it's awful.

by Anonymousreply 2203/09/2012

Anyone got pics of his bulge? Or any reports on seeing his bulge in concert or the flesh? God I love bulges.

by Anonymousreply 2303/09/2012

I used to be a huge fan, but I find his music dull now. I don't know if that's because I've moved on or his lost whatever he had that made him interesting. Now, he just seems to write songs from the heart, but via his head. No real, honest emotion; it seems to be well-intentioned posturing. No matter how hard he tries to act like just a regular guy, the fact is his world is very different than the average man's world, and it's through no fault of his own: money and success will isolate, no matter what. His posturing that it didn't is tiresome and seems insincere.

by Anonymousreply 2403/09/2012

He finally got a good toupee / weave. It looks better than Brad Pitt's weave/toupee/rug.

by Anonymousreply 2503/09/2012

His last great song was probably "Waitin' on a Sunny Day" from The Rising.

by Anonymousreply 2603/09/2012

That brown leather jacket looks absolutely ridiculous on him.

by Anonymousreply 2703/09/2012

R17 Relax bitch its just an observation.

by Anonymousreply 2803/09/2012

Bruce was sexy in his day.

But I have no use for straight white rock music. Never have, never will. When I hear someone sounding like they're putting their vocal chords through a sausage grinder, I'm out. Born in the USA makes me want to hurt someone. Like R17, I think people who buy into the 'rock cred' thing are ridiculous.

I know this will incite angry retorts and insults, but no put downs or hype can (or should, anyway) alter our individual musical preferences. Carry on.

by Anonymousreply 2903/09/2012

R23, will this do?

by Anonymousreply 3003/09/2012

I wish sad old fucks like the OP would go away already.

by Anonymousreply 3103/09/2012

R27 How the fuck does that jacket look ridiculous on him? What the hell do you want him to wear? Those grandpa sweaters that Bill Cosby wore back on The Cosby Show?

If Cher can still wear her leather biker jacket and her fishnet stockings with her ass hanging out, Bruce is allowed to wear a simple leather jacket.

by Anonymousreply 3203/09/2012

It looks ridiculous on him!!

And, I don't recall sticking up for Cher's wardrobe malfunctions.

by Anonymousreply 3303/09/2012

He looks great and sounds great. Aging to perfection, as someone else noted. Folks, it is YOU who have grown away from The Boss, not the opposite.

by Anonymousreply 3403/09/2012

R33 Well Miss Fashion Queen, why don't you show us a picture of you so we can see what "proper" fashion taste is?

by Anonymousreply 3503/09/2012

Love this guy. Nebraska is one of my top 10 favorite albums of all time.

Personally, I dig the way he is aging. I saw him last a couple of years ago and the whole show was like a big ol bar jam writ large. Yeah, they can't shy away from their age but they all still put on a hell of performance. And man can they play their instruments. Consummate, awesome musicians each and every one of them.

by Anonymousreply 3603/09/2012

I don't understand how a totally normal, understated leather bomber, which millions of people wear every day, looks "ridiculous" on Bruce, who does look pretty good for his age.

by Anonymousreply 3703/09/2012

Old people don't belong on a rock and roll stage. It looks pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 3803/09/2012

r21 would stick his grandmother in a home and forget about her because she grosses him out.

by Anonymousreply 3903/09/2012

[quote]but now all he seems capable of doing is yelling, at the very top of his lungs. Yelling and violently strumming a guitar. It's just such a tired shtick.

I agree. Jagger ad Bruce need to retire already. Saw Jagger perform in a White House special on blues. Good lord, he was embarassing.

by Anonymousreply 4003/09/2012

I refuse to see Bruce in concert until he starts performing "Born in the USA" and "Dancing in the Dark" again.

by Anonymousreply 4103/09/2012

Anyone see the clip of him on Late Night? Jimmy Fallon was doing his Neil Young impression and singing "Sexy and I Know It". Bruce came out dressed as his circa-1984 self and then started shaking like he had Parkinson's. I don't think he quite got the joke (or, if you prefer, "joke") he was supposed to be in on.

by Anonymousreply 4303/09/2012

R1, with an ass like this, it'd be nice to think that someone has tapped it.

by Anonymousreply 4403/09/2012

I'm not a fan of his music but he looks great. Hot Italian-German-Irish American daddy.

He's a pro-gay straight rock legend.

Leave him alone.

by Anonymousreply 4503/09/2012

charlie has said that Springsteen cruised at some function or another back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 4603/09/2012

"Faggots are worse than women about their age. They think life is over after they turn 30." Michael, "Boys in the Band"

What the OP really dislikes is the fact that he has gone sour on what inspired him in his youth. Cynical middle-aged queen who thinks "voting is irrelevant" and who is positive that the Boss is posturing since, hey, Obama betrayed us, right?

by Anonymousreply 4703/09/2012

He's a drunk and needs to get off the stage. I heard he lost a ton of money and needs to keep touring. Not sure how that is possible, though. Does he have a record deal? I know he hasn't had anything remotely successful since the 80s, but surely he's made more money than Houston?

by Anonymousreply 4803/09/2012

Fuck off and die OP, Bruce is the hottest 62 year old on earth!

by Anonymousreply 4903/09/2012

I would so tap that hot daddy ass in a New York minute!

by Anonymousreply 5003/09/2012

Doesn't he have a one-sided open relationship with his groupie-wife? He can fuck around, they no longer live together and she can't?

by Anonymousreply 5103/09/2012

Speaking of his wife Patty, it was fucked up the way she weaseled her way into his and Julianne Phillips's marriage.

by Anonymousreply 5203/09/2012

That is a fucking fine ass, R44

by Anonymousreply 5303/09/2012

r52 - it's the same groupie stalker method that Yoko used, apparently it works on dumb druggie musicians.

by Anonymousreply 5403/09/2012

Mmmmm-hmmmmm, R53

by Anonymousreply 5503/09/2012

You creepy ageists need to die young so you can be young forever. Not cool to diss the Boss.

by Anonymousreply 5603/09/2012

I'm 29 and I'd do him!

by Anonymousreply 5703/09/2012

Springsteen schlong

by Anonymousreply 5803/09/2012

A while back, Bruce got into trouble and was called into court as the reason behind someone's divorce. This was after he decided to service some 9/11 widows and maybe around the same time he moved out of his house and into an adjoining barn.

What was interesting about the thread -- besides the gossip -- was how the thread was invaded by a bot, and was the reason only paid members could start threads after all that.

by Anonymousreply 5903/09/2012

His sister Pamela was the nutcase serial killer "Angela" in the "Sleepaway Camp" movies.

by Anonymousreply 6003/09/2012

Yeah, Patty was a cunt and very ugly. She played on Bruce's insecurity about 'marrying up' and told him his fans would abandon him for marrying someone not 'working class'.

Last I checked, Billy Joel worked that Uptown Girl shtick into a multi-million dollar gig.

by Anonymousreply 6103/09/2012

Bruce is still the Boss, and if the tweens aren't into him, their loss.

by Anonymousreply 6203/09/2012

I don't understand some of you? If Bruce, Madonna and Mick still enjoy making music and people still want to listen to them, then why should they go away? Maybe the don't want to go into assisted living yet and play bridge.

And as a rocker, what would you have Bruce wear? A fucking track suit?

And what about Madonna--she's in great shape. Should she put on a show like Glady Knight and wear some mother- of- the- bride dress.

People on here are always saying life is short and go and live your life how you want because you only have one.

These people are doing just that.

by Anonymousreply 6303/09/2012

Does he have an open marriage?

by Anonymousreply 6403/09/2012

I've always loved his stocky, muscular build

by Anonymousreply 6503/09/2012

Who the hell said anything about her, R63? Why must that woman always be dragged into every conversation in every thread? We could be talking about Pluto and someone would find a way to drag Madonna into it. Blech.

by Anonymousreply 6603/09/2012

Patty has always been an extreme fug.

by Anonymousreply 6703/09/2012

what do you suppose these pits smelled like when he raised his arms?

by Anonymousreply 6803/09/2012

I disagree OP. Bruce is great. His worst material is better than 90% of the crap that they call music today. Make that 95%!

by Anonymousreply 6903/09/2012

I remember the song "Reno" from his 2005 album "Devils & Dust". It was a graphic tale about a man's tryst with a prostitute. Here are the lyrics...

[italic]She took off her stockings I held 'em to my face She had your ankles I felt filled with grace

"Two hundred dollars straight in Two-fifty up the ass" she smiled and said She unbuckled my belt, pulled back her hair And sat in front of me on the bed

She said, "Honey, how's that feel Do you want me to go slow?" My eyes drifted out the window And down to the road below

I felt my stomach tighten As the sun bloodied the sky And sliced through hotel blinds I closed my eyes

Sunlight on the Amatitlan Sunlight streaming through your hair In the Valle de dos Rios The smell of mock orange filled the air

We rode with the vaqueros Down into cool rivers of green I was sure the work and the smile coming out 'neath your hat Was all I'll ever need

Somehow all you ever need's Never quite enough you know You and I, Maria, we learned it's so

She slipped me out of her mouth "You're ready," she said She took off her bra and panties Wet her fingers, slipped it inside her And crawled over me on the bed

She bought me another whisky Said "here's to the best you ever had" We laughed and made a toast It wasn't the best I ever had Not even close[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 7003/09/2012

One of my fave tracks from The Boss

by Anonymousreply 7103/09/2012

It's a shame that Katy Perry is about to tie three of the greatest albums ever with her 7 top 10 singles off one album. Bruce's "Born in the USA" is one of those three albums. The other two are MJ's "Thriller" and Janet Jackson's "Rhythm Nation 1814". It just shows you the state that music is in nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 7203/09/2012

[quote]It's a shame that Katy Perry is about to tie three of the greatest albums ever with her 7 top 10 singles off one album.

Blame the stupid gays with no taste that buy that shit.

by Anonymousreply 7303/09/2012

I used to jack off to a photo of him in his underware. Anyone have it?

by Anonymousreply 7403/09/2012

R70 Do you think he's ever indulged in anal?

by Anonymousreply 7503/09/2012

"Backstreets": gay or not? I have always pictured Terry as a man, and I think that will always be true for me, no matter what, which makes it one of my top three favorite songs, ever.

by Anonymousreply 7603/09/2012

Oh, I'm sure he has, R75. I'm sure he's well- seasoned on a myriad of sex acts.

by Anonymousreply 7703/09/2012

I remember when Bruce appeared on the covers of both Time and Newsweek the same week when that meant something.

Do we even have a mass media anymore?

by Anonymousreply 7803/09/2012

Sexy Bruce with long hair (YUM!)

by Anonymousreply 7903/09/2012

R77 What makes you think that?

by Anonymousreply 8003/09/2012

@R80 Well, he's a super-famous, legendary rock star who could have his pick of any woman (or man) he wanted. He's been married twice, I'm sure had many girlfriends, and has lived that rock star existence for well over 30 years. Plus, if you listen to songs like "Fire", "I'm on Fire", "Reno", etc., they tell a story...

sidenote: Bruce used to date Joyce Hyser of "Just One of the Guys" fame

by Anonymousreply 8103/09/2012

R10 did, R66--along with a few other older singers.

by Anonymousreply 8203/09/2012

Wow, R76. Just read the lyrics to "Backstreets" and yeah, the "Terry" in the song could totally be interpreted as a guy.

by Anonymousreply 8303/09/2012

I thought Bruce always ran with upper crust gals? He would have laughed if Patti had tried the "working class" warning on him.

This is not to say that issue wasn't involved -- it was many of his fans that started the "working class" schtick after the divorce from Julianne.

by Anonymousreply 8403/09/2012

It's a shame that Bruce was never caught naked by a camera when he was in his prime. Goddamn was he hot.

by Anonymousreply 8503/09/2012

R85, Annie Liebowitz's pic of Bruce @R58 is close.

by Anonymousreply 8603/09/2012

Was a huge fan of his until Born In the USA - commercialized crap. He lost a lot of die hard fans with that album but gained much more mainstream fans. At the same time, as much as he tries to do different things with his music it just all sounds the same. After 40 years the basic sound is the same, which is sad. I expected more from someone who was supposed to be "the future of rock and roll".

by Anonymousreply 8703/09/2012

Bruce & Joyce!

by Anonymousreply 8803/09/2012

Why didn't they marry? What was the attraction there and why so secret?

by Anonymousreply 8903/09/2012

Can't have it both ways, R87--if his stuff all sounds the same, how is the "commercialized crap" of Born in the USA different? The mass audience caught up with him, is what happened.

by Anonymousreply 9003/09/2012

r87 here. He commercialized his sound which sent him mainstream.

by Anonymousreply 9103/09/2012

No one puts on a show like The Boss. What does he do, 2 hrs plus. It's not like there are amazing new rock stars being born right now. You probably think Maroon 5 is rock.

by Anonymousreply 9203/10/2012

Patty made sure the paps saw them on the balcony and photographed them. That was the end of his marriage to Julianne.

The 9/11 widows and the chick he had to go to court with are upper crust. He married a working class groupie.

by Anonymousreply 9303/10/2012

Bruce looking sexy as all get-out

by Anonymousreply 9403/10/2012

Not sure why he didn't marry Joyce, R89. In her day, she was hotter than Julianne and certainly hotter in all aspects that Patti. What's funny is, in "Just One of The Guys", her character (coincidentally named "Terry") has a couple of Springsteen posters on her wall.

by Anonymousreply 9503/10/2012

Dumb straight guy "music".

by Anonymousreply 9603/10/2012

R10 / R12 keeps digging himself deeper into that hole...

by Anonymousreply 9703/10/2012

I'm not the biggest fan of Bruce's music (although I do like a few of his songs) but I've always liked him for his liberal politics.

Back in 1984 when Reagan was running for re-election his campaign used "Born In the USA" until Bruce told them to stop. Bruce's comment as the time was something like "have they even listened to the lyrics?"

by Anonymousreply 9803/10/2012

[quote]His sister Pamela was the nutcase serial killer "Angela" in the "Sleepaway Camp" movies.

Not to mention she was also a member of Tootie's bizarro Jermaine Jackson Fan Club!

by Anonymousreply 9903/10/2012

by Anonymousreply 10003/10/2012

He's such a created 'star' - the covers of both Newsweek and Time in the same week in 1975? What a bore - and like that stupid Katharine Hepburn, he would claim he didn't want publicity, but that's all he ever wanted. Three hours of his wailing is enough to make you want to find the nearest bridge and jump. I had a bf who loved him and I would find any and all excuses to be out of town, etc. if Springsteen was performing in our city. He's such a sell out, too. He jumped on the Michael Jackson/Prince bandwagon around the same time Rolling Stone magazine became the People magazine for music types and alleged rock stars.

P.S. I always like Julianne Phillips on Sisters.

by Anonymousreply 10103/10/2012

He has a song out that drives me crazy. He means "cavalry" but he says "calvary." I'm embarrassed for him.

by Anonymousreply 10203/10/2012

I've always felt a little Bruce Springsteen goes a very, very long way. I can't imagine sitting through one of his loud shrieking concerts with all the 50 year-old women swooning to "Rosalita"!

by Anonymousreply 10303/10/2012

When he was young (20s, 30s), Bruce Springsteen's shows were very special. I like many of her more recent songs about the problem of the inequity of the wealth in this country. But the concerts are the same as when he started in the early 1970s...too long and over-the-top crowd.

It's sad that Springsteen is essentially doing the same things almost 40 years after he first became famous. Same with Bob Dylan, at least Springsteen has some voice left.

by Anonymousreply 10403/10/2012

You are absolutely right, R72.

by Anonymousreply 10503/10/2012

[quote]I like many of her more recent songs

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 10603/10/2012

I was never as into Springsteen in the '80s when so many of my classmates were, but respected their worship. I knew even then that "Born To Run" was probably going to be remembered as one of the greatest rock songs ever.

In 1988, as a grad student, I was lucky to see the Amnesty International/ Human Rights Now! tour in Montreal (after a four hour ride in an overcrowded car, with complicated border crossing) which was headlined by Springsteen and Peter Gabriel. Without sounding too "Mary!" about it, that was one of the great nights of my life. Tracy Chapman played a great set. I was a huge fan of historic Bob Dylan music, so when everybody came out to do Dylan's "Chimes of Freedom" at the end of the show, it brought me to tears.

Thank you, Bruce.

by Anonymousreply 10703/10/2012

r 102: The "Oh, dear" troll should insert a sound clip after Bruces' flub.

by Anonymousreply 10803/11/2012

And despite all your bitching, WRECKING BALL is the number one album on iTunes, the UK, and a close number 2 to Adele in the US. So much for your arguments.

by Anonymousreply 10903/12/2012

Bruce supports gay marriage and has been a tireless advocate for veterans. He works at a food bank near me and insists on no publicity. Ironic of course that the OP is a gay man who cannot appreciate someone's dedication to our community.

Then again, when all you are about is fluff like Adele and where you get you jeans...

by Anonymousreply 11003/14/2012

I don't know what this 'sad old man' nonsense is the OP is talking about. Bruce looks absolutely awesome for 62 years old. Hell, I'm 34 and I'd let him fuck me.

by Anonymousreply 11103/14/2012

[quote]I've always felt a little Bruce Springsteen goes a very, very long way. I can't imagine sitting through one of his loud shrieking concerts with all the 50 year-old women swooning to "Rosalita"!

No, you can't. It's not like that at all.

by Anonymousreply 11203/14/2012

R111 Get in line!

by Anonymousreply 11303/14/2012

Thanks, R112. Each Springsteen concert that I have attended, and there have been many, has been better than the last;however, nothing beats the one in DC a few years back when he was joined onstage for the finale by Bonnie Raitt, Shawn Colvin (SP?) and Jackson Browne for Devil With The Blue Dress on...they had been appearing the night before at Merriweather Post Pavilion, came to his concert, and helped him bring down the hows....

by Anonymousreply 11403/15/2012

I just saw him this week in Albany (my first time). Fucking awesome show. My god, does this man testify. And the audience was just out of control. This immediately shot to the top of one of the best concerts I've ever seen (ive seen hundreds).

All of this nelly bleating is pathetic. The guy is a genius musician and on the right side of just about every issue out there. wtf?

by Anonymousreply 11504/20/2012

The first Springsteen concert I attended was in 1979. I entered the stadium and wondered why everyone was boo-ing, but they weren't booing.

They were calling for Brooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooce...

by Anonymousreply 11604/20/2012

I'm willing to bet the Bruce haters are massive Kim Kardashian fans.

by Anonymousreply 11704/20/2012

Old people don't belong on a rock and roll stage. It looks pathetic.

But if not for the old folks who is going to play "Rock and Roll".

by Anonymousreply 11810/10/2012

Actually, he remains fun live, despite his "age" which offends so many. He was never the rock guy who tried to chase away old people and now refuses to leave himself (I'm looking at you, Mick), but other than his 2002 album (that arose due to circumstances beyond everyone's control, he has seemed lost since Tom Joad.

We all like Woody Guthie, but Bruce pretending to be a poor dusty guy from Oklahoma is a bit odd.

I prefer his contemporary characters, when he feels the need to do characters...

by Anonymousreply 11910/10/2012

I'm not the hugest Bruce fan, but I have friends who are, so I've joined them at three or four of his concerts. He's one of the best performers I've ever seen. The thing that amazes me at every show is that he comes on stage a 60-something year old guy, but he seems to actually get younger as the show goes on. By the end of the night he's the dude from "Born in the USA" running and leaping around the stage.

by Anonymousreply 12010/10/2012

Shhh! He's a white male rock star, and that makes him beyond criticism. He doesn't need to actually "sing", yelling is just fine. At least he isn't some black female with a bunch of fags for fans.

by Anonymousreply 12110/10/2012

I like him - he's pro-gay and he also knows how racist this country still is and dedicated a song to Trayvon Martin at one of his concerts.

by Anonymousreply 12307/18/2013

It will be a sad old day when Bruce Springsteen goes away.

by Anonymousreply 12407/18/2013

I have a grease fire just for OP, and you are all invited to watch me push him into it.

by Anonymousreply 12507/18/2013

Anyone got dirt on ol' Bruuuuuuucie?

Interesting that at the start of the thread someone mentioned bi rumors. I've never heard them.

by Anonymousreply 12607/18/2013

He broke up a marriage. He had an affair with a woman ( i think in her 40s) he met in his gym.

by Anonymousreply 12707/18/2013

Saaanta Clause is Coming to Town! Saaanta Clause is Coming to Town! Saaanta Clause is Coming to Town!

Bruce is vocally an absolute abomination. He's a sexy abomination but still an abomination.

by Anonymousreply 12807/18/2013

R127 yeah, and the woman looked a lot like Bruce's wife. I remember the husband of the woman named Bruce in his divorce docs, and Bruce never really denied the whole thing, just issued a statement about respecting his privacy etc.

Any other gossip? Has he ever hooked up with guys? Cheating on the road? Anything?

by Anonymousreply 12907/18/2013

God, you are a bunch of jealous queens!!!

by Anonymousreply 13007/18/2013

Some one call 911. OP is clearly being held hostage somewhere, a gun to his head, being made to listen to Bruce Springsteen.

by Anonymousreply 13107/18/2013

R130 You are correct. I am jealous of anyone who has no vocal talent but is paid millions of dollars to sing. Where exactly do I sign up for this type of deal.

by Anonymousreply 13207/18/2013

He's kind of sexy but he is past his prime musically. I stopped paying attention with Born in the USA. Such drivel.

And then The River--gawd awful. I think he had given up at that point.

Bruce is an overly-controlling person in the studio which has led his music down the wrong path. He really needed to allow other people's input. But, alas, he's a Virgo.

The Born to Run album is a true classic and was very groundbreaking for it's time. Darkness on the Edge of Town had some brilliant moments.

He screams too much now and I would not go to see him in concert. I don't care for the faces he makes either.

by Anonymousreply 13307/18/2013

R133 The River predated Born in the USA by a few years. Either you have access to a time machine, or everything you are writing is bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 13407/18/2013

Impressive bulge 16 mins into this concert video!

by Anonymousreply 13507/18/2013

Born to Run and Darkness on the Edge of Town were both genius in their own ways.

I thought most of the tracks from The River, Born in the USA, and Tunnel of Love were great. They weren't as consistently amazing but good albums nonetheless.

I don't know if it's merely a coincidence, but everything he's released since hooking up with Patti (~1988) has been mediocre. I remember the critics loved his 9/11 album The Rising though.

by Anonymousreply 13607/18/2013

Nebraska, The Rising and The Ghost of Tom Joad are all good albums past his masterworks.

His voice is shot and no wonder. Springsteen has been giving 3 to 4 hour concerts for way over a thousand performances over 30 years. He is not a trained singer, duh, and far from the best singer in Rock music. But he was fucking great. The wail, the play, the throb, the whisper and the cry of his voice make him the most emotive and legit rock singer ever. He is a bar band singer taken to the strastosphere.

The people who say that he yells say the same about everyone that is not Ella Fitzgerald or Nat King Cole. They know nothing about rock n roll.

Some dude who has a thread on greatest rock bands of the last 30 years says he did not include Springsteen and the E Street Band, because Bruce wrote the songs and they just played them. "They were not really a band." If you haven't seen Springsteen in concert at least three times, don't own Darkness on the Edge of Town, Born to Run or The River, then you don't know even a little bit about Springsteen, and his band of superstar musicians.

What his songs speak for and where he has placed his spirited work goes from anarchy to heartbreak, from the political to personally profound while always remaining personal.

His work and body display little of the ponderous boredom of U2, or the bad garage band scab picking of Nirvana. Springsteen and the E Street Band are the greatest rock show of the last 35 years. Springsteen himself is the Guthrie, Dylan, Chubby Checker and Buddy Holly of our times. He is not a genius, but he is genius. Real.

He should stop with the huge concerts and old songs out of his reach, just like other aging vocalists and performers. But don't fuck with his legacy. He can still write and sing acoustically like the richest balladeer ever, or maybe it is time for a Broadway score...why the fuck not.

Does OP have any knowledge or idea of how Springsteen has spoken through HIS songs to the beautiful discouraged of our world? His songs are amazing. He has always been sexy.

People can and do write books about the musicianship and alchemy of Bruce and his "band." He is nothing but a wonder. Ageing.

by Anonymousreply 13707/18/2013

Bruce is farckin HOT.

by Anonymousreply 13807/18/2013

Bruce is literally old enough to be my father, and I would still let him screw me six ways to Sunday. He is in fantastic shape for a man his age.

by Anonymousreply 13907/18/2013

What was the name of that one song he did about a hooker who likes to do anal?

by Anonymousreply 14007/18/2013

RENO, R140

"She took off her stockings / I held 'em to my face / She had your ankles / I felt filled with grace / "Two hundred dollars straight in / Two-fifty up the ass..."

by Anonymousreply 14107/18/2013

R141 That's it! Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 14207/18/2013

Young Bruce showing VPL

by Anonymousreply 14307/18/2013

Bruce showing off his hairy cleavage

by Anonymousreply 14407/18/2013

Bruce's great ass...

by Anonymousreply 14507/18/2013

R137, Nebraska was an interesting concept. I got tired of him trying to repeat it with Tom Joad and Devils and Dust later on.

by Anonymousreply 14607/19/2013

I'm fairly indifferent to the man, but wonder what circles one would have to travel in to be bombarded with Springsteen?

If I earned a dollar for every time I heard or read his name in a year, I might be able to buy a small Starbuck's coffee.

by Anonymousreply 14707/19/2013

What do we think of The Boss's bulge in that concert video at R135? Looks like a nice fat softie in his jeans!

by Anonymousreply 14807/19/2013

Very impressive bulge! I can see why Patty Scialfa had designs on him, despite the fact that he was MARRIED.

by Anonymousreply 14907/19/2013

Patti targeted him ever since she was a teenager. She tried out for the E Street Band when she was, I believe, 17, and told to try again at a later date. She's nothing if not persistent.

by Anonymousreply 15007/19/2013

I don't know many gay men who are interested in Springsteen R147. But I believe he's a favorite with lesbians.

by Anonymousreply 15107/19/2013

[quote]Is Springsteen an attention whore?

Asked the man who bumped a dead Springsteen thread.

by Anonymousreply 15207/19/2013

You won't be hearin' from OP no more.

by Anonymousreply 15307/19/2013

I'm with you, OP. I can take him in teeny doses, and can't imagine sitting through a whole evening of his caterwauling!

Plus, he's the absolute fucking patron saint of dull straight people, who find him transformative.

by Anonymousreply 15407/19/2013

Bruce and the E Street Band. At their best. Symphonies for the proletariat. Times change, and Springsteen was not subtle. His passion was beautiful and they were a real band. The piano intro is beautiful and then they play the sweet fuck out of it.

"Prove it all Night"

by Anonymousreply 15507/23/2013

Can't say that I've ever heard any gay rumours about him but in my own mind I've sometimes wondered if he's bi or gay. Not sure why, but I'm just getting vibes from him somehow. BUT I know practically nothing about his personal life, except divorcing that model/actress and then marrying Patti Scialfa, so I'm probably just clueless.

I have nothing but respect for him. I used to love Tunnel of Love-album when I was younger, and still think Tougher Than the Rest is one of the most beautiful love songs ever made. That song gives me peace for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 15607/23/2013

He wrote and sang the theme from Philadelphia. He means a lot to an awful lot of gay men and their families who lost a generation to AIDS. Don't diss The Boss.

by Anonymousreply 15707/23/2013

Wow, never realized how many silly queens dislike him or his music. Good rock musicians never die or fade away, Keep on rocking, Bruce! Some of the queers here would rather listen to Barry Manilow but that's not your concern.

by Anonymousreply 15807/24/2013

I loved TUNNEL OF LOVE too, R156. He was so hot on the Annie Leibovitz-shot album insert, but on a less shallow level, it was just a great album. The title track still gives me chills.

by Anonymousreply 15907/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!