Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Official iPad HD Release Thread

Will it live up to all the hype and rumours?

When will you get yours?

Are you pissed that the iPad 2 that you got for Xmas is now not as cool?

Will it have Siri?

by Anonymousreply 26303/28/2012

I'm waiting for a Win8 tablet next fall, to be honest.

Though I am interested in what else the iPad has other than "more memory, more storage, and higher resolution".

I hear rumors of an LTE version, and wonder what the battery life will be on that.

by Anonymousreply 103/07/2012

Well?

by Anonymousreply 203/07/2012

I have heard that the WIn8 tablet will be a world beater -- and will be much more versatile than the iPad series.

More functions, truly amazing apps, longer batter life, free protective case, and ridiculously low prices -- what's not to love?

by Anonymousreply 303/07/2012

I already have I pads 1 and 2 and will get this one too.

by Anonymousreply 403/07/2012

I know tech guys who spend around 5,000 each year for the latest Apple products. And yeah, they look down on me for not doing the same.

by Anonymousreply 503/07/2012

R4 has more credit card debt than sense.

by Anonymousreply 603/07/2012

I thought the presentation in SF was pretty lackluster. Except for the faster chip and higher resolution, I lost interest in the stuff that followed. The current Ipad has very good resolution, so I wouldn't make much of an effort to upgrade. The new Ipad actually photographs as being thicker, though I didn't hear this at the apple presentation. It's still rather heavy at 1.5 pounds. Most Ipads are used for the most basic of functions, so I'm not Apple's target audience.

by Anonymousreply 703/07/2012

I was more impressed with the improvements to iOS which they seem to have already pushed out to the existing iPads. Now you can re-download a purchased movie from iTunes when before you were limited to TV shows and music.

Plus, it's hard to get excited about 4G LTE data speeds when most of the country doesn't have access to a 4G network.

by Anonymousreply 803/07/2012

What's 4G??? Mean I can use wi-fi???

by Anonymousreply 903/07/2012

While the upgrades to the new iPad are impressive, they may not be worth your cash if you already have, and love, an iPad 2. Sure, better screen resolution would be nice, but it's not a deal breaker. 4G LTE speeds would be a great addition, but your 3G is working just fine for you. I'd say, if you're totally happy with your iPad 2, stick with it for now. And if you just have to buy it (even though you don't need it), sell your iPad 2 on Ebay and put that cash towards an upgrade.

by Anonymousreply 1003/07/2012

[quote]I already have I pads 1 and 2 and will get this one too.

Apple Corp. just [italic]LOVES[/italic] lemmings like you!

by Anonymousreply 1103/07/2012

Just ordered mine and I felt immediately guilty.

I have no bad habits, dont drink, not careless with money... but I crave getting new gadgets like this.

...I'm sorry. :`-(

by Anonymousreply 1203/07/2012

[quote]More functions, truly amazing apps, longer batter life, free protective case, and ridiculously low prices -- what's not to love?

Well, the fact that it's Windows-based, to start with. By the way, you sound like a shill.

by Anonymousreply 1303/07/2012

I've never had an iPad before and wanted to buy my first one for a long trip I'm taking next week (in order to watch movies on the plane). When I first heard an upgrade was soon to come out, I thought okay, just wait for that one, but unfortunately it's not going on sale until two days after I'm scheduled to leave on my trip (the 14th). So now I'm trying to decide if I should go ahead and buy the iPad2 for my trip (since all I really want it for is watching movies anyway) but at the same time it still feels kind of nonsensical to spend money on the "old" model when the new and improved one is virtually here.

Aagghhh!! Decisions, decisions!!

by Anonymousreply 1403/07/2012

R14, if you are going on a trip, you don't need to watch movies. If you have time to kill in an airplane, read a book.

by Anonymousreply 1503/07/2012

Books are like movies for your [italic]mind[/italic]!!!

by Anonymousreply 1603/08/2012

R14 it would be idiotic to buy an iPad 2 now, almost as idiotic as buying and iPad 3 if you already have an iPad 2.

by Anonymousreply 1703/08/2012

I don't like Apple at all, but they do have some really nice hardware. The new iPad is pretty interesting, and kind of tempting.

by Anonymousreply 1803/08/2012

No surprises. Everything about it was known in advance. These "Apple Events" aren't as fun as they used to be. They're more just boring official confirmations of what we already know.

by Anonymousreply 1903/08/2012

Did they mention whether or not it had Siri?

I mean the big surprise was the 1080p on the AppleTV. Whoopdie-do.

by Anonymousreply 2003/08/2012

Twice the resolution, twice the processing speed, 4x the bandwidth, at the same price as the last generation -- what else exactly are you expecting from an upgrade?

I have an iPad 2 and I take it with me to coffee shops to read news websites like HuffPo in the morning instead of my whole laptop, and when I travel I can take it instead for my daily internet reading and basic email instead of my whole laptop. It's liberating but it is a luxury.

by Anonymousreply 2103/08/2012

I will upgrade, I love my iPad (first gen.) but it is too old now.

by Anonymousreply 2203/08/2012

Those suicide nets will be getting some work out in China next week.

by Anonymousreply 2303/08/2012

R22:

Ist gen iPad early adopter here too.

I guess I'm old school -- "wear it out, use it up, fix it up, and make do"

My buying strategy has always been to use something till it irreparably breaks and then buy the absolute best new whatever that I can afford.

My iPad 1 works just fine and I hope it lasts a lot longer.

No telling what the new ones will be like when I am forced to get another one. It really is a great product.

by Anonymousreply 2403/08/2012

VotN, it does not have Siri, which I find a little odd.

by Anonymousreply 2503/08/2012

I bought both the first-generation iPad and the iPad2, which I am still paying off. It's taking every bit of strength I have withing me not to order the new iPad, but I simply can't justify the purchase.

I also have a 2 year-old MacBook -- not the Pro, not the Air, just the plain old white plastic entry-level MacBook model they don't make anymore. As tempted as I am to upgrade to a MacBook Pro this summer, my current MacBook will run the forthcoming OS X Mountain Lion; despite a few barely noticeable scratches and a loose screw on the bottom ("unibody" not so much), it's still a perfectly fine computer.

With the new iOS 5.1, my current iPad2 is just fine for now. Keep telling myself that...

by Anonymousreply 2603/08/2012

[quote]Twice the resolution, twice the processing speed, 4x the bandwidth, at the same price as the last generation -- what else exactly are you expecting from an upgrade?

Because Apple has usually made quantum leaps between generations. I mean, aside from upping the specs, based on what I read, it really doesn't seem like it's that big a difference than the 2. I'm sure the Retina Display will look gorgeous, but they basically HAD to include the 4G, because there are already 4G Android tablets on the market. There just wasn't a wow factor, and the one truly innovative thing they've brought forth in the past year, Siri, is absent.

If anything, this feels more like an iPad 2S than a full-fledged successor.

There's nothing that screams must have like the jump between the iPhone 3G and the iPhone 4.

by Anonymousreply 2703/08/2012

The iPad HD doesn't include Siri, but does have a new dictation feature.

by Anonymousreply 2803/08/2012

I have both Kindle Fire and IPAD1. Love the smaller Kindle Fire ..I was disappointed to learn that Apple did not release a mini IPAD. I just want a tablet to read the internet and books and maybe an app or two. I do not want to lug a bulky IPAD (with camera, no less) around... oh well.

by Anonymousreply 2903/08/2012

[quote]The iPad HD doesn't include Siri, but does have a new dictation feature.

I think the Vlingo App already does that.

Still.

by Anonymousreply 3003/08/2012

R15 = The queen who shows up at lunch as the uninvited friend of one of the invitees makes everyone else miserable by bitching that the menu isn't "vegan" enough.

Go away, miserable troll.

by Anonymousreply 3103/08/2012

[quote][R14], if you are going on a trip, you don't need to watch movies. If you have time to kill in an airplane, read a book.

You know, there are multiple book-reading apps for the iPad, including iBooks, Kindle, Nook, and Google Books. You can also listen to books-on-tape through iTunes and Audible.

by Anonymousreply 3203/08/2012

People who read books on backlit products are sad, sad fools. You need your eyes for the rest of your life. The Nook is really cheap now.

by Anonymousreply 3303/08/2012

The fact that its thicker and heavier than iPad 2 is kind of a deal breaker to me. I mainly use mine as a reader and I wouldn't want to go any heavier than what I have now. And I've watched movies on mine and it looked perfectly fine.

by Anonymousreply 3403/08/2012

I've been wanting an iPad for a while now, but am the kind of person (cheap) who couldn't see spending $500 (lowest level model) for this gadget. I already have a mini laptop (Dell Inspiron Mini) so I just put the iPad on my wish list and told everyone how much I wanted one.

Well, lo and behold, a friend won an iPad 2 about a month ago and gave it to me! She had bought the iPad when it first came out but never used it. She ended up giving it to her niece. So when she one the iPad 2 in a work-related raffle, she knew who to give it to.

I mainly use the iPad for reading newspapers and Huffpost, as well as watching movies. I also use a few fun apps, but that's about it. I definitely would not have bought the iPad on my own as my mini laptop is small and does everything I use my iPad for, but it is a fun gadget -- if you have the extra cash lying around.

by Anonymousreply 3503/08/2012

[quote]People who read books on backlit products are sad, sad fools. You need your eyes for the rest of your life. The Nook is really cheap now.

Oh, I'd much rather read on a Kindle right now. I'm just saying that an iPad will play movies allow you to read books, so that's once device rather than two.

More of my textbooks have started to migrate to iPad, which is a godsend.

by Anonymousreply 3703/08/2012

Will [r15] also tell [r14] what to wear on his trip and what to eat?

by Anonymousreply 3803/08/2012

In the ipad kindle app you can put it in sepia mode which is far easier on the eyes.

by Anonymousreply 3903/08/2012

[R33] are u saying that reading IPAD and Kindle Fire over time is bad for your eyes? Not being sarcastic. Maybe I should switch to a Nook or old school Kindle...thanks.

by Anonymousreply 4003/08/2012

As an e-reader you cannot beat the 3rd generation Kindle. So if that's all you want, that is your baby. Pocket change compared to the IPad.

I am beginning to see that certain Ipad applications could indeed be useful in my law practice, as opposed to me comparatively clunky laptop.

I'll knuckle under eventually, hell, I can write it off in one year as a business expense.

by Anonymousreply 4103/08/2012

How much do all of the APPS and subcriptions cost? I'm not talking about the free apps.

Then - how do you get your music ON this iPad? There are no USB things.

by Anonymousreply 4203/08/2012

R42, iCloud.

by Anonymousreply 4303/08/2012

[quote]Then - how do you get your music ON this iPad? There are no USB things.

There is, it's just the proprietary 30-pin connector that goes to a USB on your computer. So you do it manually, or through iCloud.

by Anonymousreply 4403/08/2012

My first gen iPad is still going strong, why spend the money?

by Anonymousreply 4503/08/2012

The iPad screen now has more pixels than your 60-inch HDTV.

The new version of iPhoto looks amazing.

by Anonymousreply 4603/08/2012

R40, e-readers like the Nook that use e-ink more closely replicate the printed page (hence the Nook's tagline "Read Forever"). You need external light sources (unlike with the iPad) but there is a lot less eyestrain with those products. I only read novels on my Nook and it's much easier to settle in and read for hours on end that way.

by Anonymousreply 4703/08/2012

I only have the Nook Touch, got it brand new for a whole $79. I prefer reading on e-ink. Backlighting would drive me nuts. But from what I understand, it's not definitive if reading on a backlit device is any worse for your eyes than using an e-ink or good fashion paper. May be one of those things that vary for individuals.

If I was flush with cash, I would have a tablet. But I don't and it's definitely a luxury device. I have a 4 year old laptop that may need to be replaced soon and I use my laptop to both consume and to create, it's a priority buy. The tablet isn't a need.

I don't understand R26 at all. If you're still paying off two iPads, then you shouldn't have gotten them in the first place. Why would you pay in installments and/or via credit with interest on a luxury item like an iPad? That makes no sense at all. Save that for a house, a car, etc.

by Anonymousreply 4803/08/2012

[quote]The new version of iPhoto looks amazing.

I can see that being a selling point for photo editing on the fly, but trying to use an iPad for point-and-shoot photography has always been awkward for me at best, not to mention that the iPad 2's camera is so bad.

I bet it will make FaceTime a lot better though.

[quote]How much do all of the APPS and subcriptions cost? I'm not talking about the free apps.

Most of the apps that you'd be paying money for are either games productivity apps. Games can go from anywhere from a few dollars for simple stuff like Angry Birds up to maybe $15 if you're looking at more complex stuff like Infinity Blade. The most expensive app that I have is an anatomy atlas which cost about $90, but is a lot more useful to me than the same atlas in print form that I use to have.

Subscriptions: A year's subscription to, for example, The Atlantic, is $21.99, or free if you already have a physical subscription. The New York Times gives you unlimited access to both content on iPad and on their website for $20 a month.

In terms of media apps, Spotify is $10 a month, HuluPlus is $8, I think Netflix's streaming is about the same price, although that's included if you already have a Netflix subscription.

by Anonymousreply 4903/08/2012

VOTN--To be fair the iPad 2 was just incrementally better than the original, not a quantum leap. My practice is to skip a version so I will replace my original iPad with the new one and sell the original (still worth $300 on eBay)

R14--They are keeping the iPad 2 on the market and the price is down to $399. They only have the 16g version.

by Anonymousreply 5003/08/2012

[quote]My first gen iPad is still going strong, why spend the money?

1) You can sell the original. My 64g wi-fi is worth $300.

2) The new on is thinner, lighter, faster, has a much better display and front and back cameras.

I originally bought the iPad for the wow factor and this new display is the next level of wow. I've already ordered mine. (The last generation didn't have enough wow to tempt me.)

If you bought it for particular uses and don't crave the wow, just keep the one you have.

by Anonymousreply 5103/08/2012

At least half the people that I know who ran out to buy an iPad, ended up returning it (or giving it away to a family member).

Just saying.

by Anonymousreply 5203/08/2012

I just watched The keynote, no comment on Suri for the iPad.

by Anonymousreply 5303/08/2012

I just bought my first one, an iPad 2 for 100 cheaper. I'm typing from it right now- my first post!

by Anonymousreply 5403/08/2012

Does it support a word processor such as Word?

by Anonymousreply 5503/08/2012

U still use Word? Wow! Why?

by Anonymousreply 5603/08/2012

[quote]Does it support a word processor such as Word?

There's Pages, Apple's own word processing program, as well as apps such as QuickOffice.

by Anonymousreply 5703/08/2012

[quote]I just bought my first one, an iPad 2 for 100 cheaper. I'm typing from it right now- my first post!

Congrats, enjoy your new toy! I love mine.

by Anonymousreply 5803/08/2012

You can run a Windows desktop and any of the Office applications using a App called OnLive Desktop. You have to subscribe for web browsing and cloud storage.

by Anonymousreply 5903/09/2012

[quote]At least half the people that I know who ran out to buy an iPad, ended up returning it (or giving it away to a family member).

Well, someone is sucking them up:

[quote]Apple’s $9.15 billion in iPad sales over the holiday quarter was almost double the amount of revenue Microsoft reported from its Windows software and not far from Google’s total revenue as a company during the same period.

by Anonymousreply 6003/09/2012

R60, a lot of businesses.

But for people who have laptops and/or kindles, they don't necessarily NEED an iPad.

Don't just mindlessly buy one. Ask if you really need one.

I have a laptop and an iPhone, which makes an iPad pretty redundant. And I read physical books not eBooks.

So it's not for me.

But a total Apple-phile friend of mine rushed out and bought it on release day. Thought it was cool, ended up not using it, and sold it. Rushed out and got iPad 2, ... and ended up doing the same thing.

He's not too bright. :-/

I assume he'll rush out and get an iPad 3 too. And then sell it.

by Anonymousreply 6103/09/2012

This makes me want to cry. It really does. I thought I would have a long career at a decent salary, but when I took time off to get a master's degree at age 43, I signed my forever pink slip.

Thank God I had arthritis in the family and was able to get disability or I'd be destitute. As it is, I bring home a fraction of what I'd make if I could get a job in my field. I spent years sending out resumes, posting on job sites, etc. But noooo. I was approaching (and have now passed) the half century mark and my fulltime pursuit if a master's degree -- 100% on my own dime -- was considered flighty.

And jobs i applied for outside my field were closed to me because I was so well qualified in my field that it was supposed I would jump ship as soon as some nonexistent perfect job presented itself to me. Yeah, I was overqualified.

I just wanted some more knowledge and skill. So kill me. I'm not Matt Lauer, I'm not a halfwit with a good voice who cheats on people I've made promises to; I don't like pretending I know more than I do. I suck. I don't deserve $50,000 let alone $25M

by Anonymousreply 6203/09/2012

R62, I feel for you. Is this really the thread you thought you were posting to?

by Anonymousreply 6303/09/2012

I hope you're okay, r62

by Anonymousreply 6403/09/2012

R61, Very few people who are happy with their current laptops NEED an iPad. However, they are much easier to carry (like an actual notebook) and use (actually in your lap) and the touchscreen interface is addictive. Current sales data indicate that many people are buying an iPad rather than a laptop computer.

Then there's the fact that they're just so fucking amazing.

by Anonymousreply 6503/09/2012

Okay, now. Does anyone have the new iPad? How is the new HD screen?

by Anonymousreply 6603/09/2012

It's not released yet, R66. Next Friday.

by Anonymousreply 6703/09/2012

Oh, okay.

by Anonymousreply 6803/09/2012

[quote]However, they are much easier to carry (like an actual notebook) and use (actually in your lap) and the touchscreen interface is addictive.

I still don't like the onscreen keyboard. It's fine if I'm writing a quick e-mail or something, but I can't imagine composing a full document in Pages on it. Plus, there's no getting around that while Copy & Paste works fine, it's a lot less easy than highlighting with a mouse and then doing COMMAND-C COMMAND-V.

OTOH, then you've got apps like Flipboard, which is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 6903/09/2012

Is an iPad a substitute for a laptop? Does it have a DVD port?

by Anonymousreply 7003/09/2012

You can use a keyboard if you want--via bluetooth.

by Anonymousreply 7103/09/2012

The Apple bluetooth keyboard is really handy to use with the iPad (or even the iPhone) for times when a only a real keyboard will do.

by Anonymousreply 7203/09/2012

No, iPads do not have any external media drives--no optical, SD/microSD, or USB connections. Any video that you're watching has either been downloaded to a computer and brought over via iTunes Sync, downloaded to the iPad via WiFi or 3G/4G, or streamed.

by Anonymousreply 7303/09/2012

So, why no Siri on this one? Also, why not quad processor?

by Anonymousreply 7403/09/2012

[quote]You can use a keyboard if you want--via bluetooth.

But that sort of defeats the purpose of actually having the iPad for me. Plus, you're again at the mercy of Apple's "Everything Sold Separately" ethos.

by Anonymousreply 7503/09/2012

I don't understand their attraction. For just a bit more you can get the little 11 inch Mac Air which is almost as lite and almost as thin, but does so much more.

I guess what I'm saying is that if Mac had come out with the iPad 20 years ago, we would all be gushing about this wonderful new invention called the "laptop" because it has fantastic new features like an actual keyboard and a lid that closes.

by Anonymousreply 7603/09/2012

Hmm... I think of it having the option *not* to have to use a keyboard when I just want to hold the tablet.

by Anonymousreply 7703/09/2012

[quote]and a lid that closes.

The iPad does have a lid that closes... sold separately.

by Anonymousreply 7803/09/2012

[quote]But that sort of defeats the purpose of actually having the iPad for me. Plus, you're again at the mercy of Apple's "Everything Sold Separately" ethos.

You contradict yourself. The keypad is sold separately because most people, like you, don't need it. However, if you want to be able to write extensively on your mobile device, it's a nice option.

I already have the keyboard because I use my laptop as a desktop with a monitor.

by Anonymousreply 7903/09/2012

[quote]I don't understand their attraction. For just a bit more you can get the little 11 inch Mac Air which is almost as lite and almost as thin, but does so much more.

No touch interface. More awkward to use as a reader--must be on a surface.

by Anonymousreply 8003/09/2012

AND, you don't have to wait for an iPad to boot up.

by Anonymousreply 8103/09/2012

R76--Apple believes that the nature of the interaction between an iPad and the user makes it an entirely new type of product, not a scaled down laptop. In my experience they are right. It amazes me that this thin, light, hand-held slab of glass and metal can do so many things--games, movies, e-mail, web-browsing, books, plus all the apps.

The ability to hold it like a book and to control it through touch and speech brings wonder and excitement to me in a way no traditional computer could.

by Anonymousreply 8203/09/2012

The iPad will have a higher revolution than 1080 on the screen.

by Anonymousreply 8303/09/2012

What will be on the next Ipad, Ipad4?

by Anonymousreply 8403/09/2012

I feel that my Macbook Air is being treated like a step child.

I sold my iPad right before version 2 was announced. Lack of a keyboard, Flash, and ability to use all software I own made that decision for me.

I just unloaded my iPhone4 (which dropped calls in my HOUSE all the time) on my nephew to use as a wifi Touch. A cheap Virgin phone gives clear reception without AT&T.

Now, Apple is pointing out that their mobile devices make up most of their sales (70 -79%?) and this is the future of consumer electronics.

Fuck iPad3.

by Anonymousreply 8503/09/2012

Can you print via a iPad?

by Anonymousreply 8603/09/2012

Still no flash. Sick..

by Anonymousreply 8703/09/2012

Yes if the printer uses WiFi. otherwise you can put what you want to print into the cloud and print it from your computer.

by Anonymousreply 8803/09/2012

[quote]Can you print via a iPad?

[quote]Yes if the printer uses WiFi.

*And* if the printer supports AirPrint. Not all do.

by Anonymousreply 8903/09/2012

I don't like ipod TOUCH because I can barely see the fucking screen! Let alone type on those teeny keys.

by Anonymousreply 9003/09/2012

I need to write and print checks for my business. I also need very basic reports--not much more than being able to print a check register and maybe expenses by category.

I don't need online banking, online investment tracking, 3-D pie charts, or all that other crap. What I need is the 1990 version of Quicken (not QuickBooks, just Quicken that will run on an iPad. The more basic the better.

If such a thing exists, would someone point me to it? If I had that, then I could switch to an iPad, but I can't find it.

TIA!

by Anonymousreply 9103/09/2012

Go 2 da Apple Sto --ass dem

by Anonymousreply 9203/09/2012

I actually ordered the iPad 3. I show the order as pending but not shipped but they confirm it will deliver next Friday, March 16th.

I think that if they move the date out, I'm just going to cancel the order. After ordering a few days ago, I'm rethinking my love of Apple and its products.

by Anonymousreply 9303/09/2012

look through the financial apps, R91. I'm sure there's something that fits your needs.

by Anonymousreply 9403/09/2012

Leaving aside your incomprehensible decision-making, if they say it will be delivered on the 16th, then it will be. When they run out of inventory they show a later delivery date.

by Anonymousreply 9503/09/2012

Rumor has it that the new iPad HD is SOLD OUT for orders. I hope that some of us won't have to wait too long.

by Anonymousreply 9603/09/2012

They are sold out for Friday delivery but you can still order one to be shipped by the 19th or try your luck at a store beginning Friday

No need to rely on rumors. The Apple website tells you when to expect the product.

by Anonymousreply 9703/09/2012

I think the new Ipad has a lot to offer those of us who haven't purchased an Ipad 1 or 2. I don't think it makes much sense for an owner of either of the two previous iterations to upgrade.

I like Apple products, I'd like to work for Apple, but I'm not fanatical about either issue or any specific product. Apple (for my limited knowledge) has the best computers and one of the best tablets. I also like Asus' tablet and their version of the Macbook Air. I simply have more confidence and appreciate the compatibility of the macbook air with my current Imac.

I'd rather have a Macbook Air than an Ipad, but it's double the price of the new version and triple the price of the remaining verion 2 tablets.

by Anonymousreply 9803/09/2012

I want one!

by Anonymousreply 9903/10/2012

Isn't 16GB a little small for this thing? I mean my iPod is 32GB and it filled up fast.

by Anonymousreply 10003/10/2012

r100....Yeah! I recommend the 64GB if you want more space for your music and videos.

by Anonymousreply 10103/10/2012

[quote]If such a thing exists, would someone point me to it? If I had that, then I could switch to an iPad, but I can't find it.

There is a company called SVT Software that has app called Accounts 2 Checkbook that seems to do what you want. And yes, you can print from it.

by Anonymousreply 10203/10/2012

What is the difference if you receive the new iPad now, next week, or two weeks later? Sorry, I just don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 10303/10/2012

Some of us what it now, R103! What do you not get?

by Anonymousreply 10403/10/2012

R104... you're bizarre level of entitlement and impatience. That's what we don't get.

by Anonymousreply 10503/10/2012

Hey, I'm paying $$$ for the new iPad, I think I am entitled to get it now.

by Anonymousreply 10603/10/2012

I want it now! Most of you probably don't understand.

My brain operates under the delusion that a new toy will bring me happiness when it is the shopping and the anticipation that I love. The device itself will lose its importance soon after I unbox it. But until then I will be obsessed with it. If you ever wondered while people post videos of the unboxing of expensive toys, it's because I'm not alone.

I will enjoy the new toy and it will be useful, but the anticipation's the thing.

Don't tell me I need help. There's nothing medical science can do.

by Anonymousreply 10703/11/2012

Nice piece of hardware but not for me. I'm fine with my Kindle Fire for the portable consumption of books, music, movies, games, and basic web browsing. And my laptop for those times when I need something more. And I can get both for the same price as a single iPad.

by Anonymousreply 10803/11/2012

It has shipped! Apple has bribed the shipping companies to hold deliveries until Friday, but maybe UPS will fuck it up. Of course it may take a while to get here from China.

I can't believe they offer everyone who orders online free engraving. Imagine the logistics of delivering a million personally engraved iPads all at once.

Mine says "Only connect . . ."

by Anonymousreply 10903/11/2012

R105, I don't get your inability to distinguish the difference between "you're" and "your.

by Anonymousreply 11003/11/2012

Mine has shipped, too!

by Anonymousreply 11103/11/2012

I have a self entitlement to get in NOW! Why has my order not shipped yet like the others? That isn't fair!

by Anonymousreply 11203/12/2012

WW for R107.

I think only some models have shipped. The carriers have been told to hold delivery on all of these until March 16, so I doubt anyone will be getting theirs early.

by Anonymousreply 11303/12/2012

Thanks, R113. I realize I won't get it any earlier but I take comfort in the fact that somewhere there is MY iPad with my inscription sitting in a box with my name on it while millions of people in Hong Kong are told the iPad is "currently unavailable" and anyone who buys one now may have to wait days or even weeks for delivery. A shopping coup!

by Anonymousreply 11403/12/2012

Can't I just go to the Apple store and get it on 3/16?

by Anonymousreply 11503/12/2012

[quote]I have a self entitlement to get in NOW! Why has my order not shipped yet like the others? That isn't fair!

No, it isn't fair. All you have is a acknowledgement from Apple that they know you want one and a promise that they have enough to fill your order. In other words all you have is words. I have an iPad with my name on it. Ha!

by Anonymousreply 11603/12/2012

[quote]Can't I just go to the Apple store and get it on 3/16?

Yes, if you get there early and wait on a long line and they don't run out. Until then you will have to live with the anxiety that you might not get one. I feel sorry for you.

by Anonymousreply 11703/12/2012

By the way, the problem is probably not self-entitlement unless you are Angelina Jolie. It's neurosis with a touch of obsessive compulsive disorder

by Anonymousreply 11803/12/2012

Oh, and R115: No engraving for you!

by Anonymousreply 11903/12/2012

Wait for the world-beater Win8 tablet by Microsoft!

R3

by Anonymousreply 12003/12/2012

Is Microsoft making it's own tablet? I assume it will license the OS to other brands.

by Anonymousreply 12103/12/2012

Win8 tablet? Microsoft screwed up the last major OS change(Vista) and it took a while to fix it, how can we be sure that Windows 8 is not the new Vista?

by Anonymousreply 12203/12/2012

[quote]Win8 tablet? Microsoft screwed up the last major OS change(Vista) and it took a while to fix it, how can we be sure that Windows 8 is not the new Vista?

Because they've gone back and reinvented it from the ground up. It looks completely different, and my guess would be will work better as a tablet OS than as a computer OS. It looks a lot like Windows Phone and the latest iteration of the Xbox software.

There's a free consumer preview of it out now that is supposed to be relatively easy to install, but after two days of trying, I was about ready to throw my computer off the balcony and go buy an iMac.

by Anonymousreply 12303/12/2012

[quote]There's a free consumer preview of it out now that is supposed to be relatively easy to install, but after two days of trying, I was about ready to throw my computer off the balcony and go buy an iMac.

Ah yes. I remember my Microsoft days. If you needed help the computer maker blames Microsoft, Microsoft blames the hardware and God help you if you have a third party peripheral. Good times.

by Anonymousreply 12403/12/2012

I don't blame Microsoft for the OS being buggy as I do for their marketing people pushing it out before it's ready for public consumption (shades of Vista, I suppose). Their tech support's suggest was to open the tower, physically remove some of the RAM and try it again. I know how to do all that, but there was no way in hell I was going to do that for a fucking beta release.

That said, Win8 is going to support true multitasking from the word "go," which iOS still hasn't managed.

by Anonymousreply 12503/12/2012

How is iOs's multitasking not "true" multitasking?

by Anonymousreply 12603/12/2012

You can't have more than one app open on the screen at a time.

by Anonymousreply 12703/12/2012

I'm not sure I'd want that with such a small screen.

by Anonymousreply 12803/12/2012

new ad from Conan

by Anonymousreply 12903/12/2012

I want one for school, but I think I'll wait to see what Windows 8 on a tablet is like.

by Anonymousreply 13003/12/2012

[quote]I'm not sure I'd want that with such a small screen.

The iPad isn't that much smaller than my 11' MacBook Air. I like running multiple windows on that, especially since I can't have both my personal and school e-mails open in the same browser because of how Gmail is set up.

Plus, not for nothing, the single coolest app I have on my iPad is Flipboard, and that's showing multiple media channels at once.

Also, when you go between apps in iOS, one of them isn't really running in the background, it just pauses the one you left and then resumes when you flip back.

by Anonymousreply 13103/12/2012

[quote]I want one for school, but I think I'll wait to see what Windows 8 on a tablet is like.

Shit on a shingle

by Anonymousreply 13203/12/2012

[quote]Can't I just go to the Apple store and get it on 3/16?

Good luck with that.

[bold]New iPad Demand is 'Off the Charts' with Initial Pre-Order Batch Sold Out[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 13303/12/2012

VOTN does that mean if you're playing music thru an app, you cannot use another app at the same time? You would have to pause the music to use another app?

by Anonymousreply 13403/12/2012

You can play music from iTunes and still have an app open.

by Anonymousreply 13503/12/2012

No, the music playing runs throughout, and I think that also works for Pandora and Spotify.

But if I was a social media whore, and was typing a tweet and then switched to Facebook, I don't think it would save what I'd put into Twitter. Of course, Flipboard is actually a better platform for Twitter than the actual Twitter app, so that's not the best example.

I know a common complaint used to be that you'd start typing an e-mail and then do something else and the e-mail would be gone when you came back to it, but I think they may have fixed that, but I've started using Google's Gmail app over the Apple-provided one. It was crappy when it started, but they've improved it big-time. Also, the Google app has gotten pretty awesome as well.

Anyway, back on the thing about typing on a flat touchscreen versus using a bluetooth keyboard, there's a young lady who sits in front of me in Anatomy and has what I think is a Toshiba Thrive that has a case with a built-in keyboard. I thought it was bluetooth at first, but I noticed a USB wire running into tablet this morning. Anyway, at that point, why not just get an ultrabook?

by Anonymousreply 13603/12/2012

Sold-out, as we speak.

by Anonymousreply 13703/12/2012

The pre-orders are sold out with a 2-3 week shipping time, but there will be stock at the stores and at retailers on Friday.

by Anonymousreply 13803/12/2012

They reported on the local news that online pre-orders were delayed until the 19th.

by Anonymousreply 13903/12/2012

They were delayed until the 19th. Now it's 2-3 weeks.

by Anonymousreply 14003/12/2012

Can't get an iPad 3? Aww …

But if you can wait just while longer, you can have a BETTER pad-type computer running Windows 8, a fine new operating system made by your good old friends at Microsoft Corporation.

Here -- read this story and get your credit cards out … won't be long!

by Anonymousreply 14103/12/2012

Microsoft's tablet screen makes me want to hurl.

by Anonymousreply 14203/12/2012

Idiots on line for a week. Hey boys--if you're that dedicated why didn't you just order online?

by Anonymousreply 14303/12/2012

I'm getting a fractile graphic skin for my new iPad. I can feel your jealousy.

by Anonymousreply 14403/13/2012

Fractal. Whatever.

by Anonymousreply 14503/13/2012

Oops. I forgot fractals are kind of creepy.

by Anonymousreply 14603/13/2012

With the new dictation mode can one post to DL by dictating a post instead of typing on the virtual keyboard? Better, no?

by Anonymousreply 14703/14/2012

Depends on how good the speech-to-text is.

I mean, try to teach it to understand "salesbottom" or "graxy" or "DILF" or any of our little slang terms, see how it works.

I'm sure the tech is better now, but I tried using a speech-to-text program a few years ago when I had my arm in a cast, and it didn't work for crap,so I just typed one-handed.

Which made masturbating a real chore, let me tell you.

by Anonymousreply 14803/14/2012

If I buy an iPad 3, how do I transfer everything from my old iPad to my new iPad? Would I be able to transfer my Smurf's Village intact onto my new iPad? I spend a lot of time and money building this village and would be pissed if it resets on the new iPad and I have to start over. When I transferred the app to my iPhone, it reset and made me start over so now I have 2 villages going, one on my iPad and one on my iPhone. If my village is only stuck on my old iPad, then I will not be getting an iPad 3.

by Anonymousreply 14903/14/2012

[quote]But if I was a social media whore, and was typing a tweet and then switched to Facebook, I don't think it would save what I'd put into Twitter.

Yes it does. I find apps resume where I left off, with text still in the text box waiting to be submitted. That could depend on the app, but Twitter and Safari persist.

[quote]If I buy an iPad 3, how do I transfer everything from my old iPad to my new iPad?

If your old iPad is synced to iCloud, sync your new one. If the old one was synced to iTunes on a computer, sync your new one to that. All app settings should be the same.

by Anonymousreply 15003/14/2012

Is it the same with the iPhone r150?

by Anonymousreply 15103/14/2012

Yes, R151. Any iOS device you sync to iCloud (or to iTunes, if you haven't made the switch).

by Anonymousreply 15203/14/2012

It's all about the apps. Therefore, APPLE wins every time!

by Anonymousreply 15303/14/2012

Microsoft has been really aggressively going after developers with Win8. I don't know if it's going to be too little, too late, but I think they realized they missed the boat on that one with Windows Phone.

What they really need to do is make like Google and buy a hardware manufacturer. Considering they could probably get RIM for the change in Steve Ballmer's couch...

by Anonymousreply 15403/14/2012

BTW, Target, Walmart, Bestbuy -- everybody will have their supply of the New iPad, Fri 3/16.

No need to pre-order or go to Apple

by Anonymousreply 15503/14/2012

Those stores will have limited supply so get there early.

by Anonymousreply 15603/14/2012

People already camping outside of my local Apple store.

by Anonymousreply 15703/14/2012

Really? No one is camping outside Walmart or Target (across the street) in White Plains, NY.

by Anonymousreply 15803/14/2012

See!

by Anonymousreply 15903/14/2012

The first iPad sold (in Melbourne) has been dissected for your viewing pleasure.

by Anonymousreply 16003/15/2012

R150, I don't think that is true. It syncs your apps but not the content inside your apps. So say you made it to level 14 in a game. Once you transfer the game to the new iPad, it's going to start at level 1 again.

by Anonymousreply 16103/16/2012

Mine was delivered today here in Australia. The screen is awesome, crisp like the iPhone 4S. The camera is looking good as well. Got to give to apple, pre ordered it online and it arrived the day it was released.

by Anonymousreply 16203/16/2012

Just got mine this morning at Target -- I was one of TWO people buying it.

by Anonymousreply 16303/16/2012

It's SOLD-OUT at my local Apple Store...this sucks!!

by Anonymousreply 16403/16/2012

Guys...reviews, please!

by Anonymousreply 16503/16/2012

I decided to look for what I really wanted, a black 32GB. So, I went to Walmart at 12:30 and got it. They had plenty of new iPads! Took the other one back to Target.

by Anonymousreply 16603/16/2012

Which store has the most in stock? I can't find one.

by Anonymousreply 16703/16/2012

I have The Precious.

by Anonymousreply 16803/16/2012

Mine came today! Screen is truly awesome.

by Anonymousreply 16903/16/2012

I gotz the iPadz 3 2day! Jelluz?

Sent from my iPad 3

by Anonymousreply 17003/16/2012

I saw a news report that a lot of people are disappointed - that other than a better screen, it's pretty much similar to the first.

by Anonymousreply 17103/16/2012

This Is the Only Reviewer With Balls to Tell You the Truth About the New iPad:

by Anonymousreply 17203/16/2012

Well, I still want one!

by Anonymousreply 17303/17/2012

Got mine and don't know how to fucking use it.

by Anonymousreply 17403/17/2012

My cousin got one yesterday (I have the iPad 2). The screen is spectacular, very crisp like the iPhone 4S. But thats about it. I really didn't like the squared off edges, definately prefer the feel of mine. Although I will say I could not tell a difference in the weight. Unless you just have to have the retina display there is no reason to upgrade.

by Anonymousreply 17503/17/2012

I still want one, r175.

by Anonymousreply 17603/17/2012

Got mine easily at Walmart, but where are the accessories ? Best Buy and everybody else still only has iPad 2 accessories. I'm going to Apple this afternoon to see what they have. This is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 17703/17/2012

r177, most of the accessories will be available next month for the new iPad.

by Anonymousreply 17803/17/2012

[quote]This Is the Only Reviewer With Balls to Tell You the Truth About the New iPad

That was a stupid review, and such vile gutter language to boot.

by Anonymousreply 17903/17/2012

Hit a nerve, did it, R179? :-P

by Anonymousreply 18003/17/2012

I'll still wait to see what the Windows 8 tablets are like. I don't like that you're limited with storage options, etc.

by Anonymousreply 18103/17/2012

Hey this text-to-speech thing is pretty good. This reply was all dictated. Jealous, bitches?

by Anonymousreply 18203/17/2012

Whoops. That should've been speech to text.

by Anonymousreply 18303/17/2012

Best use for a tablet running Win8?

-- SHIM UP A WOBBLY TABLE so you can play with your incredible iPad 3 with retina display!

Ta - da!

by Anonymousreply 18403/17/2012

R184, given there aren't any Win8 tablets for retail yet, your post is beyond childishly nonsensical.

by Anonymousreply 18503/17/2012

Well then, use a reasonable facsimile for a Win8 tablet table shim, R185 !

How about a piece of Mexican floor tile?

by Anonymousreply 18603/17/2012

R186, are you implying that Win8 tablets will be much thinner than your iPad? And that your iPad is so heavy you have to set it on a table to use it?

Because that's what it sounds like you're implying to me :-P

by Anonymousreply 18703/17/2012

That's absurd, r178.

by Anonymousreply 18803/17/2012

I know, but most of the accessories are not ready for the new iPad.

by Anonymousreply 18903/17/2012

Okay, so here's what I did.

Went to Apple. The only thing they had was a flimsy screen cover $40. I saw a woman with a very nice pink leather cover, she said she got it at Nordstrom. So I left to go look (it's in the mall), and I pass Brookstone. I bought a very nice black leather cover for $50 at Brookstone. It was made for iPad2, but it fits this one just fine.

Really, how those dummies at Apple did not have these things ready when the iPad came out is beyond stupidity!

by Anonymousreply 19003/17/2012

Apple does not make iPad accessories.

by Anonymousreply 19103/17/2012

I get my iPad covers for free because my nephew works for Griffin and he gets anything he wants for cost..

He gave his dear ole uncle my black leather case for free!

Smart young man -- knows it often pays in the long-run 2B nice to retired gay uncles.

by Anonymousreply 19203/17/2012

They could have given the specs in advance to the manufactures that do.

by Anonymousreply 19303/17/2012

Is your nephew hot? Cut or uncut?

by Anonymousreply 19403/17/2012

I got the Targus VuScape case for my my new iPad (3).

LOVED my old one so much. They have a couple of new designs for the 3rd generation but this one is both versatile and slim. Not crazy about the cut-out on the back of this one... I'm not such a fanboi that I need an Apple logo showing. But still, these guys make the very best cases out there for iPads. They're leather, sharp looking, padded micro-suede lined...

Link below. I have the black and they're at most Best Buy stores as of yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 19503/17/2012

From a friend: "The new iPad gets noticably warm. Dunno what to think about that. I miss the consistant coolness of the iPad 2"

by Anonymousreply 19603/17/2012

Why do you guys need cases to cover up the beautiful iPad? It's not like you're going to be dropping it everyday. It's just like guys who spend all that money to buy a Ferrari and then put a big ugly black bra in the front. What's the point?

Sent from my iPad 3

by Anonymousreply 19703/17/2012

It does get hot, r196. I wasn't aware that the others didn't. Maybe there'll be a recall. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 19803/17/2012

Store your iPad 3 in the freezer overnight for all-day cool the next day.

by Anonymousreply 19903/17/2012

I just got the new iPad. This is my first iOS device. It's okay. I'll definitely use it, especially when travelling/carpooling. But I still find myself reaching for the laptop first. I like to first open a bunch of browser windows/tabs and have them set to whatever I want to read. Then as I read, I'll close each one. I can have as many as sixteen open and it's easy to switch to the one I want. I haven't figured out how to do that with Safari yet.

by Anonymousreply 20003/17/2012

You'll figure it out soon R200.

It's easy, it's Apple!

by Anonymousreply 20103/17/2012

Did you type that out on your new iPad, R202?

by Anonymousreply 20303/17/2012

R203, I think he's practicing the dicktation feature.

by Anonymousreply 20403/17/2012

R202, is this the thread you intended to post that to?

by Anonymousreply 20503/18/2012

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 20603/18/2012

F&F - R202. He's typing this shit in several threads.

by Anonymousreply 20703/18/2012

A timely R-tickle about Win8

by Anonymousreply 20803/18/2012

So, is Windows 8 out already?

by Anonymousreply 20903/18/2012

Okay, what do I do when this thing will not play Adobe flash videos?

by Anonymousreply 21003/18/2012

LOL, r210!

by Anonymousreply 21103/18/2012

Go to apps -- search with "viewer"

Duh!

by Anonymousreply 21203/18/2012

What's viewer?

by Anonymousreply 21303/18/2012

[quote]So, is Windows 8 out already?

No. There's a "Consumer Preview" which is beta software (unfinished!) which you can download and install if you want.

If you decide to do so, to try it out or see what's coming, I strongly suggest you do a clean install and dual boot. It's pretty easy (I did it myself in under half an hour), but it also means you'll have to reinstall anything you want to use in your new OS.

I wouldn't recommend upgrading an existing computer, because there's no way to go back.

Win8 is supposed to come out officially some time next fall. It really is designed and optimized for iPad-like tablets with touch. It'll work on non-touch laptops (with a trackpad) and desktops (with a mouse), but I'm still on the fence as to whether all the new things it provides actually offset having to relearn everything you've known how to do for the last decade.

It's a dramatic change that I think will position Microsoft well for the future of portable computing, but it comes at a significant cost of re-learning a lot and leaving desktop environments in the dust.

I'm guessing a lot of people, including most businesses, will wait until Windows 8 ... but that people buying new hardware will enjoy Windows 8 just fine.

by Anonymousreply 21403/18/2012

if you already have an iPad 2, the new one is not a compelling upgrade, but if you have an original iPad it's a nice improvement in both size/weight and screen image plus the cameras which were not on the first one. If you use the 4G, even better.

I think what Apple is signaling with calling this "iPad" is not to expect any revolutionary changes with each new model. The design is pretty mature and it will be refreshed, not re-invented. Like the iMacs, they will come up with a radical redesign from time to time, but not every year.

What amazes me is how much attention the media still pays to every new model.

by Anonymousreply 21503/18/2012

Will Win8 on a tablet also have this concept of syncing. This is what I find most bizarre about iPads. They're not really stand-alone devices. One would think transferring a video to your iPad from your PC would be simple, but it's not. Google it and you'll see. There seem to be many different ways of doing it, all of which involve syncing or paying for an App.

by Anonymousreply 21603/18/2012

R216, Win8 on a tablet will be a stand-alone system, just like any other windows install. If you get an Intel version, it'll even run all your existing software... if you get an ARM version, none of your existing Windows software will run, but it will have Office (desktop) preinstalled, and will run all new "Metro" apps.

As for "syncing", it has the concept, but it's about keeping your tablet "in sync" with any other Windows 8 machines you may have, like a laptop or desktop... and by that I mean, your files, your "favorites", your desktop picture and short-cuts, etc, can all be transparently synced if you wish, the same files accessible from all your machines. Of course, you don't HAVE to sync anything you don't want to.

It has a true file system just like windows (with Windows Explorer), unlike the iPad. And even the Metro style apps (the ones that are more iPad/iOS like) can easily share data between them in ways you cannot do on iOS.

It looks to be very interesting, but of course, it's three years late, and the ARM versions require all new apps be written... so it won't have nearly the 3rd party community that iPad currently enjoys for quite a while yet. But Intel versions do have that whole backwards-compatable with nearly everything you already use (if you use Windows, that is).

It's an interesting gamble for Microsoft. A "bold move" that could fall flat on its face... or be spectacularly successful... but which will likely be somewhere in between.

I'm definitely waiting on a tablet until I can compare and contrast the offerings once Win8 is released and new tablet form factors are available.

by Anonymousreply 21703/18/2012

Odds are that a tablet computer running Win8 will be another Microsoft clusterfuck, with numerous, hasty "Service Packs" issued ... And when it's all safe and stable, it will merely be equal to an iPad.

Innovation is simply NOT in Microsoft's DNA.

Microsoft would not be where it is today if Apple did not exist so they can copy their software ideas. And it would not be where it is today if IBM had not allowed them to sell their DOS OS to other computer manufacturers in the early days. IBM's abysmal contract negotiating skills MADE Microsoft.

Just the facts ....

by Anonymousreply 21803/18/2012

Thanks guys!

by Anonymousreply 21903/18/2012

R218, those are your opinions. Please don't confuse them with "facts".

by Anonymousreply 22003/18/2012

OK Microsoft Fanboy at R220, I'll play it your way:

1) Apple copies Microsoft and always has, and

2) IBM stupidity did not help Microsoft become the dominant OS early on.

Whatever, pinhead!

by Anonymousreply 22103/18/2012

[quote]Apple copies Microsoft and always has

Not true. They copy from each other.

Look, Apple-fanboy, I know it sucks that reality doesn't conform to your beliefs, but like a Republican, you're going to need to just fucking get over it eventually.

by Anonymousreply 22203/18/2012

[quote]you're going to need to just fucking get over it eventually.

Get over what? Get over yourself.

by Anonymousreply 22303/18/2012

Just know that some of these apps suck. NYT app just wants you to pay for subscription, same with other magazines. I went to the NYT website with Safari and just read my 20 articles as usual.

by Anonymousreply 22403/18/2012

[quote]Get over what?

Okay, so you're stupid and can't comprehend simple English sentences too. Bravo.

by Anonymousreply 22503/18/2012

I bet you're a real crashing bore IRL, R225 R222 R220.

All the same, you're a tenacious brand ambassador for Microsoft and I certainly don't begrudge the $11.45 or whatever it is that you made from this thread.

You are a worthy Wintel maniac and I sorta admire you. I've enjoyed or sparring, but of course you know, I am 100% right in every way .. and you are not.

Good day to you, sir. I SAID GOOD DAY!

by Anonymousreply 22603/18/2012

R226, you're an idiot, and all your assumtions are wrong. And you're an ass. Whatever, Apple-Fanboy.

by Anonymousreply 22703/18/2012

It's good to know that the iPad 3 is only a skosh better than the iPad 2. So I'll be okay with my iPad 2 for a couple of more years.

This whole Apple versus Microsoft thing is ridiculous. They are both good are what they do for the markets they cater to. The only thing that Apple really has in its favor is the lack of viruses, etc.

by Anonymousreply 22803/18/2012

R228, you are really missing out on the HD screen.

by Anonymousreply 22903/19/2012

Didn't Miscrosoft invent Windows to compete with Apple? I mean, the old DOS was pretty fucking impossible and Apple's was more user friendly.

by Anonymousreply 23003/19/2012

[quote]The only thing that Apple really has in its favor is the lack of viruses, etc.

And that's not due to being any more secure... it's due to there not being a critical density.

Windows 7, in fact, surpassed OS X in many ways on security, and Windows 8 is even more secure (especially if you stay with Metro apps).

So this isn't really as big of an issue as it used to be.

by Anonymousreply 23103/19/2012

How is the iPad secure without virus/spyware protection? I never understood that.

by Anonymousreply 23203/19/2012

There are basically no viruses which can attack Macs of any kind. The idiots who spend their time inventing them all use non-Apple PCs.

by Anonymousreply 23303/19/2012

R232, better to think of it this way: Windows XP, prior to Service Pack 2, was deeply INSECURE. It was EASY to write viruses for it. And worms, and trojans.

Meanwhile, Mac OS never had a critical mass to make writing viruses worth-while. At the time, Macs and MacOS accounted for like 4% of the computers in use, and most weren't networked.

Computer viruses are much like human viruses... they can only take root and spread and cause an epidemic if there's a sufficient population density.

Viruses/worms/trojans are MUCH more rare on Vista, even MORE rare on Win7, and will continue to be less and less of an issue as Windows continues to become more and more secure.

OS X started out more secure, and of course, didn't have the density of networked machines to allow viruses to easily spread... but lately, Windows has surpassed OS X, and now they sort of leap-frog each other, release by release, staying roughly neck and neck.

And with OSX and now iOS becoming more and more populare, and with Apple users not being "used to" thinking about viruses (in fact, being arrogant about not having to think about them), a virus/worm/trojan/bot infection of those machines is only a matter of time. While OS X may still have less than 10% of the market, iOS is skyrocketing in popularity and has surpassed desktop sales. Eventually it will prove to be too juicy a target for some sinister coder out there.

by Anonymousreply 23403/19/2012

See R233 for an example of the arrogance I was talking about.

by Anonymousreply 23503/19/2012

Forget security for Mac and Windows 7, what about IPAD????

by Anonymousreply 23603/19/2012

There have been 3 reported viruses for any type of Apple product over the last 25 years. You don't have to worry about your iPad. r243 can pray for the apocalypse to his hearts delight, but it isn't coming.

by Anonymousreply 23703/19/2012

[quote]Forget security for Mac and Windows 7, what about IPAD????

It's virus free. The iPad is on a different wavelength than a PC. It has it's own Security Code in it's settings.

by Anonymousreply 23803/19/2012

Latest head-to-head test at the link.

No report whether Win8 will help in the match-up, but my guess, NO.

Let's see how PMSFB* weighs in on this.

* Paid Microsoft Fan Boy

by Anonymousreply 23903/19/2012

My biggest pet peeve I bought the new iPad? Magazines look like shit on the new display.

by Anonymousreply 24003/19/2012

Windows 8 will be a game changer because I said so.

Look at these set-up screens -- totally new colors!

by Anonymousreply 24103/19/2012

Apple’s new iPad: Still on the fence about whether to buy it? Join the club.

by Anonymousreply 24203/19/2012

[quote]My biggest pet peeve I bought the new iPad? Magazines look like shit on the new display.

How could a better, higher resolution screen make magazines look like shit?

by Anonymousreply 24303/20/2012

[quote]Good day to you, sir. I SAID GOOD DAY!

This made me LOL, mostly because I imagined Michael Cera or Bobby Hill saying this.

by Anonymousreply 24403/20/2012

Whatever!

by Anonymousreply 24503/20/2012

[quote]It's virus free. The iPad is on a different wavelength than a PC. It has it's own Security Code in it's settings.

The IPad is a closed system. You can't download anything that doesn't get reviewed by Apple.

They sold 3 million over the weekend.

by Anonymousreply 24603/20/2012

[quote]They sold 3 million over the weekend

Damn.

by Anonymousreply 24703/20/2012

It gets warm. annoying

by Anonymousreply 24803/20/2012

R248 -- Told ya how to fix that at R199. Keep up!

by Anonymousreply 24903/20/2012

Please start a thread on this. Down with the Internet Police.

by Anonymousreply 25003/20/2012

Sign the petition.

by Anonymousreply 25103/20/2012

I went to Best Buy after work Friday. There was a sign outside on the sidewalk that said the line for the New iPad starts here. There was noboby inline. Normal size crowd in the store.

by Anonymousreply 25203/20/2012

R248, you're holding it wrong.

by Anonymousreply 25303/20/2012

R252, where are you from? iPads have been sold out in my area.

by Anonymousreply 25403/20/2012

Guys, get a case. iPad will be less warm.

by Anonymousreply 25503/20/2012

[quote]I went to Best Buy after work Friday. There was a sign outside on the sidewalk that said the line for the New iPad starts here. There was noboby inline. Normal size crowd in the store.

Did you stand in line?

by Anonymousreply 25603/20/2012

I don't want a case. I already ordered a custom skin. Sigh.

by Anonymousreply 25703/20/2012

That's too bad, R254. I'm in the NYC 'burbs. No, I didn't stand in line, already got mine from Walmart in the AM.

by Anonymousreply 25803/20/2012

I want advice on the best 3TB external hard drives.

by Anonymousreply 25903/20/2012

Can anyone who got one say anything about it?

by Anonymousreply 26003/22/2012

NYC has burbs?

by Anonymousreply 26103/22/2012

See Linda McCartney thread.

by Anonymousreply 26203/22/2012

My Verizon iPad doesn't get 4G in the heart of downtown Palo Alto. I've never seen the 4G icon come on ever. Yes, I have LTE enabled. I'm returning this POS.

by Anonymousreply 26303/28/2012
Need more help? Click Here.