Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

BREAKING SUE SIMMONS NEWS!!! WNBC is giving Sue the boot! After 32 years!!

Goodbye to DL's fav news anchor..

by Anonymousreply 16506/21/2013

DL's fav news anchor?

I'd love to see a geographic breakdown of DL's membership. I suspect the majority aren't in the WNBC viewing area.

by Anonymousreply 203/07/2012

Poor little boat!! It wasn't doin' nothin' wrong!

by Anonymousreply 803/07/2012

[quote]Shriveling TV-land economizes by hiring young bones off Hoosier stations who know borscht about this greatest city on the planet.

WOW Cindy Adams. And you wonder why you're mocked and disrespected, especially outside the Manhattan social circles you think are so relevant.

Fuck you, cunt.

by Anonymousreply 903/07/2012

Ageism and sexism.

Oh and r9? Cindy Adams doesn't give a fuck about anything outside NYC. I like having an actual NYer giving NY news. If you can't pronounce Van Wyck properly you have no business being on the air in NY.

by Anonymousreply 1203/07/2012

Booting Sue Simmons?! What the FUCK are they doing?!?

by Anonymousreply 1303/07/2012

Yup...Sue is 68, and her contract wasn't renewed; Chuck is 68 and he was given a 3-year extension.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Ah well, maybe she'll come out.

by Anonymousreply 1403/07/2012

One of the major reasons she is being let go before Chuck is because they don't want to end up replacing them both at the same time. They want to bring in someone who can be a bridge between the old team and the new.

I don't know why it was Sue rather than Chuck, though.

by Anonymousreply 1503/07/2012

While I prefer the news replicants over on channel 2, Maurice Dubois and Kristine Johnson, Sue Simmons is a fucking institution.

by Anonymousreply 1703/07/2012

Sue Simmons, charm-free.

by Anonymousreply 1803/07/2012

Yes, Sue dropping the F bomb is hiiiiilarious. But I am also old enough to remember the infamous Tex Antoine incident.

by Anonymousreply 1903/07/2012

Sue and the late Jessica Savitch used to bump muffins back in the late 70s/early 80s. They even lived together for a while.

by Anonymousreply 2103/07/2012

She looks so much like Whitney in r1's link.

by Anonymousreply 2203/07/2012

Wow. I was not prepared for R1's link. HILARIOUS! I don't know what was funnier, the on-air cursing or the apology! "Language that some people find offensive"!!

When did she do that? Did she ever offer any further explanation?

by Anonymousreply 2303/07/2012

It really is the end of an era. She looks damn good for 68.

by Anonymousreply 2403/07/2012

Really? R21 That is something else. One day a proper film will be made about the late Jessica Savitch.

by Anonymousreply 2503/07/2012

Does anyone know who she was talking to, and what the fuck they did, in r1's link?

by Anonymousreply 2603/07/2012

R23 No question, the apology is funnier. She can barely keep from laughing at how stupid the whole things is.

by Anonymousreply 2703/07/2012

I think she was talking to Chuck, who looks like he had nodded off.

by Anonymousreply 2803/07/2012

Chuck and Sue were an institution. There's such a thing as respect.

And bow to Cindy Adams. That bitch is NY and has always been, long before the Disney-Carrie Bradshaw suburb renewal. She knew how to work a rumor.

by Anonymousreply 2903/07/2012

WNBC announced it was not true when Sue said "yes" to Tom Arnold's "aren't you a lesbian" question in 1993-94. Is it on Youtube?

by Anonymousreply 3003/07/2012

"One day a proper film will be made about the late Jessica Savitch."

It may have been a Lifetime movie, but I thought Sela Ward was perfection as Savitch in "Almost Golden." Ron Silver was great in it, too. Damn, I really need to watch that again!

by Anonymousreply 3103/07/2012

What an empty life R3 must lead.

by Anonymousreply 3203/07/2012

Well at least he contributed something to the thread.

by Anonymousreply 3303/07/2012

Jill Zarin would be a perfect replacement!

by Anonymousreply 3403/07/2012

I'm available.

by Anonymousreply 3503/07/2012

BRAVO R9!

by Anonymousreply 3603/07/2012

I agree r34!

by Anonymousreply 3703/07/2012

I'm a news anchor in LA. Can I apply?

by Anonymousreply 3803/07/2012

They already have a replacement -- very nice much younger black woman, can't remember the name. BUT she's not Sue.

Since Sue's known this for a while, I'll bet her agent has been looking around for another job. Hope she gets one BEFORE her fans start a riot.

by Anonymousreply 3903/07/2012

I'm surprised to see the New York Times considers this a big enough story to have it on the top section of their site right now.

I can see the station's logic as expressed at r15, but if they were gonna drop one of them, I wonder if it's not a mistake, perception-wise, to drop the black woman and keep the white man (of the same age). Seems somehow easier for there to be a perception of Sue as the victim of unfair treatment.

But I guess they probably have focus group results telling them Chuck is more popular than Sue or something.

by Anonymousreply 4003/07/2012

Sue's replacement Shiba Russell formerly of Boston TV has been reporting on NBC-4 New York and co-anchoring on weekends. Russell's arrival was announced in early 2011 around the time Sue was told her contract wouldn't be renewed.

by Anonymousreply 4103/07/2012

If Sue wants to keeping working after 32 years her agent should contact PIX-11. Jodi Applegate needs to be replaced.

by Anonymousreply 4203/07/2012

I'm old enough to remember most of the old-timer Pittsburgh newscasters, who I swear were all inspiration for Anchorman.

They were, down to the last, drunkards of massive proportions.

The most famous was Bill Burns, the Cronkite of Pittsburgh, anchoring the noon news and referring to the follow up show as The Young and The Breastless.

by Anonymousreply 4303/07/2012

First they drop the gorgeous John Muller from Channel 11 Morning news and now this. No loyalty anymore.

by Anonymousreply 4403/07/2012

She's 68, she'll probably just retire. Not tv station in these times would pay that kind of money for someone to anchor a 30 minute broadcast. In these times anchors and reporters are taking big pay cuts and having to work more, blog more, etc. The days of the high priced anchor talent who only anchor a newscast are pretty much done. She was one of the last of them.

by Anonymousreply 4503/07/2012

R42 PIx is owned by Tribune. one of the cheapest companies in the business. They'd only take on Sue if she'd work for $200K a year and anchor a 3 hour newscast.

by Anonymousreply 4603/07/2012

Wasn't Jodi Applegate the anchor who appeared on the episode of Seinfeld? The one where Jerry and George pretend to be the guys catching a limo ride from the airport, only to find out they're suspected white supremists? I think Jodi was the anchor reporting from the riot scene as they tried to exit the limo.

If Sue wants to keep working, she could get a part-time gig doing special assignments for some station. I'd hate to see her off the air.

by Anonymousreply 4703/07/2012

I've never heard of this woman

by Anonymousreply 4803/07/2012

Love her! Love her! Love her! I've been watching her since she co-anchored with Jack Cafferty on "Live At Five" in the early 80's. .. Irreplaceable. .. I'm moving over to ABC.

by Anonymousreply 4903/07/2012

Who is Sue's GF?

by Anonymousreply 5003/07/2012

Please, it's a miracle they kept her this long. Most older women get axed in their early to mid 50s. The men they keep until they die or stroke out.

It sucks, but that's the way it is.

by Anonymousreply 5103/07/2012

For those of you who don't know her, let me tell you this: Sue Simmons is a New York City Icon. She made all of us feel she was our friend. Not only did she have a spot-on delivery of the news, she also had an incredible sense of humor which brightened every broadcast she ever did. .. a light in local news broadcasting is being extinguished.

by Anonymousreply 5303/07/2012

DRUDGE is now running the story.

by Anonymousreply 5403/07/2012

She's legendary. Non-NYers may not understand.

by Anonymousreply 5503/07/2012

I've lived in NYC for years now but remember living in Fort Worth, TX and seeing Sue on David Letterman's late-night NBC show back in the '80s when he'd run into her in the hallways at Rock Center. Even then I thought she was cool.

by Anonymousreply 5603/07/2012

[quote]Wasn't Jodi Applegate the anchor who appeared on the episode of Seinfeld? The one where Jerry and George pretend to be the guys catching a limo ride from the airport, only to find out they're suspected white supremists? I think Jodi was the anchor reporting from the riot scene as they tried to exit the limo.

I think the reporter in that scene was a black female named Jodi Baskerville or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 5703/07/2012

WTF are you doing!!!

by Anonymousreply 5803/07/2012

Agreed R57, Applegate was too young and still in the Phoenix market when that Seinfeld episode aired.

by Anonymousreply 5903/07/2012

If Pat Kiernan gets the Live with Kelly gig (shudder), maybe NY1 would take on Sue. It would be a huge step down for her, pay wise, but after all these years at NBC, as Cindy Adams says, she really doesn't have to work.

by Anonymousreply 6003/07/2012

Sue was dating a woman psychiatrist from St. Vincent's hospital way back when. I was friends with one of the nurses on the unit, she said the doctor used to brag about it. It wasn't the first time I heard a dyke rumor about her.

by Anonymousreply 6103/07/2012

I cannot stand that Shiba Russell!

She is so smug and bitchy.

I read that the WNBC 11 PM news rating is actually the highest compared to other networks.

Will Shiba generate the same chemistry and ratings with Chuck?

I know I won't be watching anymore.

by Anonymousreply 6203/08/2012

NYC is the biggest market in the country, but local news here has been very provincial--Boston, Chicago, and DC are where the young, hungry types go to make it to network.

so, Sue represents a local institution that is just as local and personal for us as if this was a 30 year anchor in Dubuque retiring. Moreover, Maurice DuBois just isn't cutting it for the next twenty years, so we are truly bereft here.

WFT you doing, Sue? Love ya.

by Anonymousreply 6303/08/2012

Probably hard for the current generation to grasp why she became the legend she has become. You'd had to have watched her on Live at Five in the 80s. Full-hour complete with live on-set interviews. Much more than reading prompter. Was able to show great wit and personality.

by Anonymousreply 6403/08/2012

I've noticed they're hiring A LOT of bumfuck types for the local (NYC) market.

Cheap labor.

by Anonymousreply 6503/08/2012

TPTB decided paying Sue $5 million to wing it, her on-air antics and refusing to do station promotions added up to being sacked.

by Anonymousreply 6603/08/2012

This item shows her with co-anchor of decades, Chuck Scarborough. If Sue had one more procedure she would be called "Chopped Suey."

by Anonymousreply 6703/08/2012

In the early 80s it was Sue and Jack Cafferty who were the supreme Live at Five news team. And Katy Kelly was the theater critic/bowtied Lesbian and they always had on all the latest Broadway talent in town for in depth one on one interviews.

I never missed them. Life was slower back then. Now, I can't even imagine being home at 5:00 and I'm 30 years older!

by Anonymousreply 6803/08/2012

Poster 61 is right. I also worked on that unit with the doctor. She was dating Sue. This was the psych. unit at good old St Vincent's in the village.

by Anonymousreply 6903/08/2012

I love Sue. I hope she devotes herself to something she loves. She'd be a great spokesperson for some organization that makes a difference in the world.

Something like Roger Caras was for the ASPCA.

by Anonymousreply 7003/08/2012

That was a really crazy "what the fuck are you doing??!!!" she blurted out. It sounded like she was really pissed! Who was she talking to?

by Anonymousreply 7103/08/2012

Chuck is such a bore by himself he needs a co-anchor to spark things up. This Shiba chick is attractive, but no sparks.

WNBC News went into the shithole when they hired and gave the Today in New York show to that idiot buffoon, Michael Gargiulio. Now this Sue business.

I'm through with WNBC.

by Anonymousreply 7203/08/2012

"Chuck had a larger popularity/Q rating and is generally better liked and respected"

That's because he plays it safe. He's never said fuck on the air.

by Anonymousreply 7403/08/2012

R73, your last paragraph is bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 7503/08/2012

Sue will have offers from other NYC stations.

Not at the same salary, but she won't be starving.

People get attached to local news anchors and actually WILL switch stations for them.

by Anonymousreply 7603/08/2012

The way this story was reported to the public is just a little too slick, in my opinion. Sue may just not have the stamina anymore to put in the long hours, like she has been doing for the last 30-odd years. Did they take her off the early evening newscast so she would have more energy at 11 PM? Did NBC fear a series of medical procedures on the horizon requiring time away from work?

Look at Tom Browaw. He retired from Nightly News. But he (AFAIK) is still on the payroll at an unknown dollar amount and has performed fill-in duty in an excellent manner.

I don't think we are being told the full story and don't trust the Murdoch Post to have the inside scoop, ether.

by Anonymousreply 7703/08/2012

"Sue may just not have the stamina anymore to put in the long hours" LOL

R77 = 22 years old

by Anonymousreply 7803/08/2012

But who will flirt with Janice Huff now?

Ah...the writing was on the wall when they got rid of Len Berman.

by Anonymousreply 7903/08/2012

R1, I don't see what the big deal was.

by Anonymousreply 8003/08/2012

Does anyone remember an old '80s NYC radio show that used to mock her by doing skits with "Susannah Susannah Dannah" who was supposed to be a Gilda Radner-type broadcaster who sounded like she was a black sharecropper?

Politically incorrect (but funny as hell!)

by Anonymousreply 8103/08/2012

Howard Stern had a song parody to the tune of "Bette Davis Eyes" called "Sue Simmons' Hair."

by Anonymousreply 8403/08/2012

Howard Stern said he might offer her a job at Howard 100 News.

by Anonymousreply 8503/08/2012

R82, get a refill for those meds before you harm yourself.

by Anonymousreply 8603/08/2012

Shiba's from outta town. New York native and current WNBC-4 reporter Darlene Rodriquez is also a candidate for Sue's job.

by Anonymousreply 8703/08/2012

r77 may be right -- didn't Simmons have major surgery last fall (back surgery, I think?) She seemed to be back on the air pretty quickly after something that serious.

by Anonymousreply 8803/08/2012

Darlene Rodriquez must be DYING to get away from that asshole Michael Gargiulo who they let steal her show.

by Anonymousreply 8903/08/2012

This will be a major mistake ala Jane Pauley/ Bryant Gumbel. BBC kept Gumbel and axed Jane because of her age- disaster.

by Anonymousreply 9003/08/2012

What will I watch on Groundhog day? Best groundhog impression by a news anchor, eva!

by Anonymousreply 9103/08/2012

Sheeba is empty and has the personality of a frozen pea. Her partner, Tom Llamas, is an airhead. He pronounced Porgy and Bess as Porgee.

by Anonymousreply 9203/08/2012

Both Sue and Chuck are too fucking OLD. 68 is about the right age to leave. They should have just extended Chuck for another year if they wanted a smooth transition.

by Anonymousreply 9303/08/2012

Do you think the attention, and widespread dismay, this has received has taken them by surprise? Or were they prepared for this, and feel that people will soon forget Sue and there won't be any deterioration of viewer loyalty?

by Anonymousreply 9403/08/2012

I'm done with news 4. I'll watch Shade Benawhatever. I can't take that dull cue card reader, Sheeba.

by Anonymousreply 9503/08/2012

But Shade's pretty dull though too, isn't she, r95? I haven't watched her much, but she always seems to have kind of a blank stare.

by Anonymousreply 9603/08/2012

I like Pat Battle though she's happy to anchor on weekend mornings.

by Anonymousreply 9703/08/2012

Yes, Sade is vacant. I don't know who to watch. I love Pat Battle, Chris Cimino and Janice Huff, but I can't stand these young, cookie cutter news readers. Also, their voices! The women sound like nails on a chalkboard-Sara Gore, Lauren Scala, etc. Yikes!

by Anonymousreply 9803/08/2012

Do Sue and Chuck hate each other or get along?

by Anonymousreply 9903/08/2012

Sue calls Chuck her 'husband.'

I can't stand Darlene's implants - they're almost as bad as Mika's.

by Anonymousreply 10003/08/2012

R97, I also love Pat Battle. At first she was a bit awkward as an anchor -- I take that as a sign of the fact that she's more intelligent and aware then most of these blow-dried prompter readers -- but once she settled in I love her. She was an excellent reporter, too, back in the days when she was in Philly. But I love her sense of humor. She's real. Not many anchors have that.

by Anonymousreply 10103/08/2012

I love that Sue doesn't take herself too seriously. That smirk spoke volumes. She does a great groundhog.

by Anonymousreply 10203/08/2012

Can't stand Darlene Rodriguez. I wonder if she divorced her husband? He was in the news a few years back for raping some girl. He is a police officer who was suppose to help the girl, instead, he raped her. He admitted to the rape eventually but nobody knows if Darlene divorced him.

Anyway, I would rather Chuck anchors alone than having Darlene or Shiba. The grate on my nerves with their voice, attitude and trashy looks.

by Anonymousreply 10403/09/2012

Someone on NYMag.com actually commented that IF Sue had plastic surgery, she may have had her contract extended! The person thought she looked "matronly" without having had any plastic surgery.

by Anonymousreply 10503/09/2012

Now maybe she'll have the time to find a rich man to marry and take care of her.

by Anonymousreply 10603/09/2012

R103-but Sue was not a bitch that's the point. She is beloved and a bit wacky but with a sense of humor. It's just hard to see someone we've known for so long get shown the door.

by Anonymousreply 10703/09/2012

If Shiba isn't picked, she gets a $600,000 bonus.

by Anonymousreply 10803/09/2012

r101, Pat Battle is married to WABC-7 reporter Anthony Johnson.

by Anonymousreply 10903/09/2012

Chuck and Sue like each other. Dined together between early and late newscasts. Sometimes his wife and her girlfriend would join them.

by Anonymousreply 11003/09/2012

If Sue has anymore eye work her next job will be at the Asian News Network.

by Anonymousreply 11103/09/2012

Live at 5 in the 80's was put together on a shoestring budget. But with Sue, Chuck, Al Roker (he was nice when he was a nobody local weather guy), Pia Lindstrrom (Ingrid Bergman's daughter) and Liz Smith (who once got Better Davis to appear) was the best local news program EVER.

by Anonymousreply 11203/09/2012

You're forgetting me, r112!!!

by Anonymousreply 11303/09/2012

I still miss Lyn Brown who was on the Fox morning show with Jim Ryan.

by Anonymousreply 11503/09/2012

Are there any women at NBC/WNBC any more who aren't four feet tall? All the guys tower above them

by Anonymousreply 11603/09/2012

R112, Chuck was NEVER on Live at Five. Sue's co-anchor was Tony Guida or Jack Cafferty.

Did you know that Carl Stokes, the former mayor of Cleveland, was the anchor before Live at Five was created?

"In 1972, he became the first black anchorman in New York City when he took a job with television station WNBC-TV"

by Anonymousreply 11703/09/2012

It WAS Jack Cafferty. I'd forgotten that. It was the most bizarre collection of people, but somehow it all worked.

I had read somewhere that WNBC in NYC had spent most of their budget putting together a prestigious 6:00 broadcast and that "Live at 5" was basically just strung together.

Now no one remembers the 6:00 show (I think the female anchor died a few years ago), but the old Live at 5 lives on in people's hearts.

And WEHT Pia Lindstrom?

by Anonymousreply 11803/09/2012

Wikipedia's take on "Live at Five":

"Live at Five was born of necessity. The 5 p.m. broadcast was part of a two-hour early news block called NewsCenter 4 which combined features and hard news, and attempted to compete with its competitors' old movies and syndicated programing. When ratings crumbled in 1980, WNBC decided to pour resources into its 6 p.m. newscast, which would feature its best reporters, while the 5 p.m. newscast would be more of an interview and lifestyle show with news headlines at the top of the show.

In October 1980, Sue Simmons joined the WNBC and Live at Five team from Washington's WRC-TV. She has had several co-anchors, or as Sue called them "anchor husbands", including Jack Cafferty, Tony Guida, Matt Lauer, Dean Shepherd and Jim Rosenfield. From 1980 to 1991, legendary NBC announcer Don Pardo of Jeopardy! and Saturday Night Live fame did the talent introductions and other voice overs, usually live in the studio.

In the 1980s, the show was the talk of the town with guests ranging from Jimmy Carter to Orson Welles to Little Richard. The show's impressive guest lineup was fodder for a running joke on Late Night with David Letterman, which taped across the hall in Studio 6A at 30 Rockefeller Center, where Letterman complained that Live at Five got better guests than he did. Today, the show still maintains an impressive guest lineup, with everyone from Broadway stars to NFL football stars to politicians coming to Studio 6B to be interviewed."

by Anonymousreply 11903/09/2012

From what I remember there was never a news cast on before 6:00pm until NBC's "Live At Five". When it became successful, ABC cancelled their long running staple "The 4:30 Movie" where they would cut a movie into two or three days and they too started the early broadcast.

by Anonymousreply 12003/09/2012

I never cared for Sue after she pulled that "WTF are you doing?" She turned all Christian Bale.

by Anonymousreply 12103/09/2012

"Now no one remembers the 6:00 show (I think the female anchor died a few years ago), but the old Live at 5 lives on in people's hearts."

That's because David Letterman made fun of it. Al Roker made comedy appearances on Letterman's show -- he became a star and leaped to Today.

Pat Harper (now deseased) was the 6:00PM anchor.

David Susskind had all of the female NY anchors on for a show in 1982. When asked, Sue Simmons stated that she was soon getting married -- to someone in the Secret Service, so there were no details she could share. (LOL)

by Anonymousreply 12203/09/2012

Was Jessica Savitch in the Secret Service?

by Anonymousreply 12303/09/2012

Over at 7, morning co-anchor Lori Stokes is the daughter of former U.S. Congressman Louis Stokes, and the niece of former Cleveland mayor Carl Stokes (who was the first African American mayor of a major U.S. city).

Heard she has severe alopecia and always wears wigs.

by Anonymousreply 12403/09/2012

Chuck visits Sue at home after her back surgery in 2011. Notice there's not a single line in the face of this upper 60's gal.

by Anonymousreply 12503/09/2012

Yes. Credit 100 extra pounds and Dr Sherrill Aston.

by Anonymousreply 12603/09/2012

r125 here. Excuse the typo. Surgery was in 2010, not 2011.

by Anonymousreply 12703/09/2012

And yet, people complain Sue looking too old!

Watching her again last night and I don't think she looks older than Chuck.

by Anonymousreply 12803/10/2012

[quote]Pat Battle is married to WABC-7 reporter Anthony Johnson.

Now that was a surprise. I always thought she was Lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 12903/10/2012

Fri is her last day. Will miss her

by Anonymousreply 13006/14/2012

BIG sendoff tribute planned for Sue at the 11 pm newscast on Friday. Lots of people have taped tributes, and expect her to do her groundhog imitation one last time...

by Anonymousreply 13106/15/2012

The ABC station in Detroit also got rid of a bunch of their older anchors not too long ago. Is this a company wide move?

WXYZ fired 4 people in two months. I wish they would have gotten rid of the insufferable Diana Lewis, but they'll keep her because they're milking the whole mother/daughter anchor team angle.

by Anonymousreply 13206/15/2012

"Yoo-hoo! I'll soon be free!"

by Anonymousreply 13306/15/2012

tits drooped, shoulda had that titjob

by Anonymousreply 13406/15/2012

Bye doll

by Anonymousreply 13506/15/2012

I will miss her!

by Anonymousreply 13606/15/2012

Is that Shiba woman really going to replace Sue?

Any insiders heard anything?

by Anonymousreply 13706/15/2012

I forgot!

Did they all cry? What happened?

by Anonymousreply 13806/15/2012

there were tons of wonderful tributes at the 6 pm broadcast. Brian Williams also mentioned it on his national newscast.

Of course, she had a really nice collection of tributes from all kinds of people on the 11 pm broadcast as well.

she really is a NY icon.

See link for an article from the NY Post about how WNBC won't formally name a replacement to protect her successor.

I heard that Shiba Russel was hired to replace Sue. Shiba even had it written into her contract that she is to be paid $300,000 if she does not get Sue's job.

by Anonymousreply 13906/15/2012

I'm from DC and Sue Simmons is legendary even outside of the city. Sue comes from a time where News was reporting, not reading off of a teleprompter and calling it reporting. She will be missed.

by Anonymousreply 14006/16/2012

Sue Simmon's is Trending right now on Twitter in DC.

by Anonymousreply 14106/16/2012

In her sign-off Sue said "Shut the .... front door." Everyone on the set burst out laughing. A slight reminder of her "What the fuck are you doing?" faux pas when she thought the camera was off.

Also said she hoped to be back somewhere even if only one-day-a-week. For years there were Non-Compete clauses which prevented talent from working in the same market for up to a year. AFTRA got that law wiped from the books in New York.

by Anonymousreply 14206/16/2012

I didn't know that, R142. It makes sense.

At the network level, they have to take six months off, I think it is. It's such a sham, and it certainly doesn't benefits the employers because what happens when they hire someone away is they promise them a signing bonus equal to their six-month salary, payable once they come on board.

by Anonymousreply 14306/16/2012

When Roz Abrams was dumped by WCBS-2 she was sidelined because of Non-Compete. Never returned to television. Bob Grant wasn't able to work within WABC's coverage area. Closest city was Philadelphia, 90 miles south, where he landed at WWDB.

by Anonymousreply 14406/16/2012

I adored "Live at Five". Best collection of on-air news talent ever. They'd report on everything--I distinctly remember a live remote when some mafia chief got gunned down at an outdoor cafe. They showed it with him still holding a cigar in his hand.

ITA about some of the talent now. Michael Gargiulo is insufferable, and Bruce Beck is a total airhead. Nothing comes out of his mouth that isn't a cliche.

[quote]Can't stand Darlene Rodriguez. I wonder if she divorced her husband? He was in the news a few years back for raping some girl. He is a police officer who was suppose to help the girl, instead, he raped her. He admitted to the rape eventually but nobody knows if Darlene divorced him.

I like Darlene Rodriguez. Her husband admitted to unlawful sexual contact in exchange for the rape charges being dropped and a one-year conditional discharge. I think they're still married.

by Anonymousreply 14506/16/2012

Live at Five was terrific. Sue's ability to make interviews into engaging and unpredictable conversations brought out the personality in stars, whether it was Liza or whomever. Great TV.

As for Roz Abrams, what really killed her career (facelift aside -- WCBS must have been shocked when the anchor-next-door they'd hired showed up looking like that) was the fact that she bombed there. They paid her a fortune, believing viewers would follow her and they didn't. That truly was the end of the NYC stations hiring away anchor stars. Roz cost a fortune and WCBS did better with no-name anchors.

by Anonymousreply 14606/16/2012

I figure Sue can make at least $25,000 per speaking appearance

by Anonymousreply 14706/16/2012

Maybe she can come on over to CNN!

by Anonymousreply 14806/16/2012

I was wondering the same thing about Darlene Rodriguez, but I think I spotter wearing wedding rings the other day. Anyone?

by Anonymousreply 14906/18/2012

Sorry, that should be "spotted her." It's been a *long* day!

by Anonymousreply 15006/18/2012

"Michael Gargiulo is insufferable"

Another one who can't stand that asshole? How do we get him off the air so I can watch Darlene again?

by Anonymousreply 15106/20/2012

Turn about is fair play....bitch took my job 32 years ago!!!

by Anonymousreply 15206/20/2012

Longtime friend says Sue got shafted and put it in print.

by Anonymousreply 15306/20/2012

R142 I think it also makes a difference if the reporter was terminated or whether they are just not renewing their contract and leaving for greener pastures.

I believe she only has a 60 or 90 day noncompete when she's been let go…..and only in the same market. If she were to go to, say, Chicago she could start tomorrow.

It's a lot longer if a competing station in the same market woos a reporter away. And I don't know that AFTRA could get rid of that all together….they may have minimized the time but there's an argument to be made that the audience would be confused if so-and-so was on another channel instead of theirs.

by Anonymousreply 15406/20/2012

I miss her. She entertained my partner & I for years. Met her once. No more NBC for me. No point without Sue.

by Anonymousreply 15503/25/2013

Ratings are up 23% since Shiba came on. They're going to early renew Scarborough for five more years.

by Anonymousreply 15603/25/2013

"Who wants to listen to a grandma give them the news? Men are allowed to age in public. Women should know when it's time to hang it up."

No one wants to see the old geezer. Let's gid rid of the old boring men.

by Anonymousreply 15703/25/2013

What the F*CK are you doing?!

by Anonymousreply 15803/25/2013

Bullshit, R156.

WNBC is tanking in the ratings, and Chuck is almost ready to drop.

by Anonymousreply 15903/25/2013

Now all they have to do is get rid of that over-acting amateur, Tom Llamas, and I might consider WNBC again.

by Anonymousreply 16003/26/2013

Sue was the best. S. Russell is stiff, boring and not up to NYC. I am moving to another station. She lacks confidence and has no chemistry with Chuck.

by Anonymousreply 16106/20/2013

Darlene Rodriguez is supposedly still married. Her husband is a cop who went to trial because he was accused of raping a girl. He claimed it was consensual and Darlene stood by her man.

by Anonymousreply 16206/20/2013

WNBC was 3rd during Feb. Sweeps. I wonder how they did during the May sweeps.

Can't stand that Shiba woman.

by Anonymousreply 16306/21/2013

Msy sweeps roundup:

We're #1! WNBC usually third or worse in every daypart

by Anonymousreply 16406/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.