Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is Denzel Washington a big homophobe?

Will Smith agreed to do an onscreen kiss with Anthony Michael Hall for his first big screen performance in SIX DEGREES OF SEPARATION, but then on the set refused because "Denzel Washington personally advised Smith not to kiss a man in a movie." So they used a stunt double.

by Anonymousreply 15308/08/2013

That's what I've heard.

Also, he's very arrogant and has rage problems. He sat there and berated an interviewer who was off by a year or two about Denzel's age. God forbid! His nice guy act dropped for a moment and he acted like he was a king who had just been insulted. You could sense the rage.

He strikes me as the type who probably gets violent with women.

by Anonymousreply 203/06/2012

I've heard that he gets so into his roles that if the character he's playing in a film hates another character, Denzel will act unkindly towards the actor playing the other role. I heard this whole Will Smith thing before, too. However, I don't think it's a stunt actor kissing Anthony Michael Hall in SDOS. It was just shot at an angle where they didn't actually have to kiss. Besides, there's another scene in that movie where he's on a bed full going at it with another actor, so...

by Anonymousreply 303/06/2012

R1 is the epitome of ignorant.

by Anonymousreply 403/06/2012

I've gotten an asshole vibe from him for years.

Even at the height of his "nicest guy in Hollywood" phase.

And, he isn't THAT great an actor. He can be very good. But he can also be very self-conscious / showy.

by Anonymousreply 503/06/2012

Most actors with his level of success are assholes.

by Anonymousreply 603/06/2012

R1, Mark Wahlberg is black? Bruce Willis? Mel Gibson? Jim Caveziel?

Believe me, sweetheart, there are A LOT of white actors who have also turned those parts down.

by Anonymousreply 703/06/2012

Is OP posting from 1992?

by Anonymousreply 803/06/2012

Will Smith may be homophobic, but he is definitely on the downlow.

by Anonymousreply 903/06/2012

r7, have you never heard of a percentage of a particular group of people?

by Anonymousreply 1003/06/2012

Indeed he is r9.

by Anonymousreply 1203/06/2012

R10, then I guess by your logic, that's why majority white states like Utah and Idaho have gay marriage.

Oh, wait..

by Anonymousreply 1303/06/2012

by Anonymousreply 1403/06/2012

r13, you're limited. Different cultures have different perspectives when it comes to issues like sexuality. Get out of the house a little more, and educate yourself. I'm sure you're a bleeding heart moron, who can't stand to hear this. Pick up a book. This subject has been written about for decades. Homosexuality in the black community is a big no-no. It's just how it is. I'm not shocked Denzel would feel uneasy about doing this. Blacks who come out of the closet, have much more difficult time in their communities than whites.

by Anonymousreply 1503/06/2012

R3 - I thought he was kissing the actor Eric Thal.

OP - I thought they moved away from the camera so that the kiss was implied.

by Anonymousreply 1703/06/2012

He's very 'proud'.

by Anonymousreply 1803/06/2012

Denzel's cock.

by Anonymousreply 1903/06/2012

He is very unctuous and thinks his shit doesn't stink. He has mean eyes.

by Anonymousreply 2003/06/2012

R17, he kissed Anthony M. Hall, who played his boyfriend. He never really did much with Eric Thal except run his fingers through Eric's hair and "fuck" him offscreen. The other scene I spoke of before was when either Donald Sutherland or Stockard Channing walked in on Will fucking some young trick, and they were both totally nude in the scene.

by Anonymousreply 2203/06/2012

Been a while since I've seen the movie, but I recall the shot being cheated with a kissing sound dubbed in. Even so you could tell they didn't really kiss.

More to the point, Will was out of his depths with that part and it hurt the movie, which is otherwise pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 2403/06/2012

Does someone in this thread have a hard time pronouncing 'library'?

by Anonymousreply 2503/06/2012

by Anonymousreply 2603/06/2012

r3 I think on the commentary of the movie, "Glory" it was stated that he purposely did not interact or try to socialize with other actors who were playing superior characters in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 2703/06/2012

I think Will Smith is good as this guy, who was a real life shyster. Is he in jail, btw?

by Anonymousreply 2803/06/2012

The real-life inspiration for the 6 Degrees character died broke, years ago.

Now Denzel's cock shot was so blurry - is he hung or not? I can't tell.

Denzel also has been known to cheat extensively on his wife Pauletta.

by Anonymousreply 2903/06/2012

I read somewhere Denzel's exact quote was "Don't you be kissin' no man!"

by Anonymousreply 3003/06/2012

by Anonymousreply 3103/06/2012

The guy is a jerk. He's no Morgan Freeman, that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 3203/06/2012

What? You don't think Morgan is a homophobe? At least Denzel let Dave hold his hand, last time he was on.

by Anonymousreply 3303/06/2012

R33, as far as I can tell he seems like he's nice.

by Anonymousreply 3403/06/2012

Denzel is definitely a homophobe. He's also very conservative. He supports Obama because Obama, and He isn't conservative politically, in that he is a Democrat, but he is "socially conservative."

He's very chauvinistic. Pauletta is a concert pianist. She's an actress and an accomplished musician. Classics. But she had to give up her career to stay home and raise the kids and stay out of the limelight. He's very oppressive.

I remember a story about him & Jamie Foxx. When Jamie was first starting out, he saw Denzel at some movie premiere, and ran across the street to shake his hand, get an autograph, etc.

He blurted out that he was an actor too, and Denzel was his hero, etc. and Denzel told him to back off,don't be trying to grab his hand, and stop acting like a clown shouting at people, etc. He was really rude to Jamie and totally burst Jamie's bubble.

I think to people in the industry, the "chosen few" he is a nice person. But to the rest of the world he is surly and rude.

He also has a clause in his contract that he will not have any love scenes with a white woman. And he never has. Julia Roberts was the closest he came. And yes. He definitely cheats on Pauletta. I love his movies, but I am not a fan of him personally.

by Anonymousreply 3503/06/2012

Heard it years ago. Denzel could be homophobic. Could have been advising will smith on how it would maybe affect his career. Could be both. Hard to tell. Sure as hell didnt hurt will smith considering the money he makes and 2 oscar noms. And denzel beat him for his first oscar nom.

by Anonymousreply 3603/06/2012

[quote]White gay men are the worst human form of beings walking the earth; can't be trusted, racist, hate/envy women to the point of re-imaging women in the form of teenage young boys; have a high propensity toward an impulse to sexually defile young men; propelled by a vision of an ideal of society motivated through unbridled sex and restricted diets instead of moral edicts and an ideal of a greater society; tend toward the atheist idea of perfection based in the physical vs the pursuit of holiness which is grounded in a spiritual perfection; indifferent to children unless a sexual component is introduced; community in gay white male parlance has to do with the individual vs the inclusion of 'neighbor'.

This is some sick gay-hating shit. I don't think Pat Buchanan could have come up with all that.

by Anonymousreply 3803/06/2012

Denzel Washington starring as...a smug character who seems just like Denzel Washington.

by Anonymousreply 3903/06/2012

[quote]This is some sick gay-hating shit. I don't think Pat Buchanan could have come up with all that.

But I'm sure Ken Mehlman could... and has.

by Anonymousreply 4003/06/2012

As opposed to say... the south, R42? Flyover? Oh yes, they're quite the epicenters for tolerance and progressive thinking.

How's that 'intelligent design' workin' out for ya?

by Anonymousreply 4303/06/2012

r42 as a Black person in my community I can assure r15 knows shit. First of all Black people are more liberal than one thinks. The religious aspect influences their beliefs on homosexuality; but from my personal experience, from going to a Black college to living and working in the community all my life, there are a few homosexuals who are obvious and who are not rejected by their family. There are also others in the closet that people know about and are still not rejected.

by Anonymousreply 4503/07/2012

Translating R41 = We aren't responsible for our own behavior!

by Anonymousreply 4603/07/2012

All black people aren't homophobic. As R45 stated, I also attended an HBCU and the envioroment wasn't homophobic at all. Of course there were people who objected, but they minded their own businees. All my heterosexual, black male friends were more than accepting. In fact, they were over-accepting and stood by my side no matter who I was.

by Anonymousreply 4703/07/2012

If Denzel Washington is such a big homophobe why did he get involved in "Philadelphia"?

He was a movie star by then and could pick and choose projects, and picked that one.

Doesn't sound seriously homophobic to me.

by Anonymousreply 4803/07/2012

Money talks ,BS walks, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 4903/07/2012

Bronson Pinchot said Denzel was an abusive a-hole on the set of Courage Under Fire and one of the worst human beings he ever met.

by Anonymousreply 5103/07/2012

Yes, he is.

by Anonymousreply 5303/07/2012

Gee, you think r16 is black? And full of scary rage issues?

by Anonymousreply 5403/07/2012

Rage = Murder.

by Anonymousreply 5503/07/2012

It's been my own experience and observation, that in the African American community, if a young man is perceived to be gay, if he is very effeminate, he is tolerated. Women being far more accepting than men. Altho men will also, eventually, "understand."

The effeminate mannerisms are indicators, they are what separates him as "different" and straight Black men find that behavior reassuring.

When it comes to my mother's generation, people in their 60's and even their 50's and older, I've never met one who regarded being gay as normal. I'm sure there are people who know it is normal I've just never met them.

It's true that you can find a lot of gay men in church choirs as both singers and directors, music ministers, etc. I've also know several married clergy who enjoy the company of young men from time to time.

When these effeminate gay men are young, they are bullied and abused by their fathers, older male authority figures, family members, and schoolmates. These people figure they can beat or humiliate the gay out of you.

Mothers & females generally are more protective. Thus the young effeminate gay will hang around females, and generally be regarded as "a sissy."

At a certain point, there's a kind of resignation many interpret as acceptance, which says, well, he's always been "that way."

Now, if you are not effeminate, but you are masculine in most everyway, and you like men, you better keep it to yourself. They will fry you if they discover it. You will be shunned and treated as a pariah.

The masculine gay man is someone straight Black men I have known, feel very threatened by. They will tolerate one in a social group, but will completely ignore and treat them as if they do not exist.

They will not shake your hand, they will not break bread with you, they will in general treat you as if you have a contagious disease and they are not loath to show their disgust. Black women do not mind these type of men. Unless they are married to them.

The character Denzel played in Philadelphia was very close to how and educated straight Black man would react. He was civil. In real life the behavior is more overt and insulting.

Denzel's not an ignorant man. He spent many years in theatre, many years in college acting classes. He's been exposed to the gay community. So after all that exposure, to say he is homophobic is a pretty big deal.

I'd almost imagine he's had some experience as a young man with gay guys hitting on him, where he actually maybe questioned his own sense of gender identity, and went into panic mode making sure no one would ever mistake him for "one of them."

I think h's a very egotistical, insecure man who goes out of his way to make sure people understand he is "all man." I have no idea why he is like this, but I believe he is. That insecurity also meshes with what I've heard and read about him cheating on his wife and being that idealized "strong man" at home.

by Anonymousreply 5703/07/2012

"I just have never liked Denzel much. His gravitas - as a performer - has seemed located in a confused and unintelligent place. He can purse his lips and frown and come across with a sense of seriousness, but there's a slipperiness and insincerity - an inauthenticity - that gets in the way when. He just seems pissy."

True! And very well put!

by Anonymousreply 5803/07/2012

[quote]If Denzel Washington is such a big homophobe why did he get involved in "Philadelphia"?

So he could play a homophobe, of course.

by Anonymousreply 5903/07/2012

It's been said that Denzel Washington and Kevin Spacey can't stand each other. Any stories?

by Anonymousreply 6003/07/2012

"He blamed Philadelphia for not giving him a bigger career."

Sorry but that does not make sense.

He already had an Oscar. Right before Philadelphia he had just come from co-starring in The Pelican Brief with Julia Roberts, who was then THE biggest star in the world. After Philadelphia he did Crimson Tide, and later won an Best Actor Oscar for Training Day. His list of subsequent films has been very impressive and he still gets movies made.

by Anonymousreply 6103/08/2012

Homophobic? Yes. Attractive? Meh. But his worst crime is being such a mediocre actor. Of all the talented black actors out there, I'm not so sure why HE went on to have such a storied career. Hell, Tony Todd is 10 x more talented an actor than Denzel.

by Anonymousreply 6203/08/2012

I've rarely encountered homophobic black guys. Sorry. Encountered lots of homophobic white guys though.

by Anonymousreply 6303/08/2012

Denzel gave sound advice. In the early to mid 1990's, it would have been career suicide for Smith to romantically kiss a dude in a movie. SMith probably still wanted to be a legitimate rapper as the Fresh Prince, and kissing a dude was incompatible with that goal. Male Americans actors barely were willing to play gay at that time, and kissing a dude full mouth was unthinkable for most major actors. He would have lost urban street cred and popularity, been the butt of jokes and derision in the urban community. It would have been career suicide for that time.

by Anonymousreply 6403/08/2012

"it's been my own experience and observation, that in the African American community, if a young man is perceived to be gay, if he is very effeminate, he is tolerated."

your experience is wrong to make pronouncements about the entire black community. in fact, my experience as a real black person has been the opposite. effeminate males have it very, very rough in the black community, even if heterosexual. there is a widespread expectation that men not only be masculine, but overtly macho in speech, manner of dress, walk, and non-sexual interests. males are sized up instantly as a "real ass dude" or a girly "punk." effeminancy is one of the most stigmatized things in urban communities. if a dude is bisexual/gay but macho he will get respect because he handles himself like a man. think of how much respect the Wire's Omar gets in urban communities. black people expect our dudes to be masculine.

by Anonymousreply 6503/08/2012

So what is more homophobic, suggesting that an actor starting out in his career not kiss a guy on screen or staying in the closet? This thread shouldn't focus on Denzel Washington, it should focus on the entire profession.

by Anonymousreply 6603/08/2012

I wouldn't assume Washington is homophobic, let alone a "big homophobe," especially given the times, as opposed to merely protecting Smith in a homophobic business, especially if it is true that Smith, as many believe, is gay, let alone a young actor, possibly closeted, in a homophobic closeted hypocritical town.

Do I agree with the advise, as opposed to actually having balls and doing it?

Do I think it makes Washington a big homophobe rather than a well-intentioned pragmatist?

by Anonymousreply 6703/08/2012

I personally do not think straights are obligated to kiss other men on film, so no I don't think this makes anyone a "homophobe."

This goes from tolerance to incidental exposure, all the way to direct participation.

by Anonymousreply 6803/08/2012

Homophobe? Maybe. Asshole? Definitely.

by Anonymousreply 6903/08/2012

I agree with parts of what you say, in terms of straight Black men overcompensating and going all macho. But for you to say I am wrong, and that I am generalizing demonstrates of a lack of understanding of what you read.

R65, I too, am a "real" Black man, and I was sharing my experiences and observations. As such, they were not "wrong."

To put it simply, if an effeminate gay man survived childhood, as a grown man, there was resignation and a modicum of acceptance mostly from women. Straight Black men treat him as an oddity, and therefore were more tolerant than they'd be if he were a "masculine" gay man.

Everyone's singular experiences, taken together comprise a whole. They are each valid and lend insights into what it has meant to be Black and Gay in America. They are not "wrong."

by Anonymousreply 7003/08/2012

R51 We're seriously supposed to believe anything Bronson Pinchot said? This guy seems like he hates everyone.

by Anonymousreply 7103/08/2012

R70 I agree with you and I'm a white guy. And for the others who mentioned that Denzel was pissed because he thought Philadelphia ruined his career because of the gay stuff, that's total crap. When did Washington ever say or imply that?

Why pick on Denzel Washington just because he supposedly gave advice for a male on male sex scenes or whatever in a movie. There are many other actors who aren't likely to be straight doing the same thing -- Marky Mark after Boogie Nights comes to mind. Marky turned down Jake's role in Brokeback Mountain.

Look at facts instead of making stupid assumption. That happens to much here on DL. Are people too lazy to do this?

Well in reality, Philadelphia was 1993. In the 8 years after that, Denzel Washington consistently made movies -- many of them successful and many of them remarkably successful. There was The Pelican Brief and Crimson Tide - big hits. The Hurricane earned Washington a Golden Globe and he scored a second Golden Globe soon after that for Remember the Titans -- this was a huge coup for a black actor and history making.

My favorite film of Denzel Washington's is Training Day 2001 for which he won a well-deserved Academy Award. If you haven't seen it -- I recommend it.

by Anonymousreply 7203/08/2012

The movie of course is just called Training Day. It's from 2001.

by Anonymousreply 7303/08/2012

Sadly, r16 is mostly right.

by Anonymousreply 7403/08/2012

I am Black too. Yeah, there are a lot of black guys threatened by mainstream masculine males who are bisexual or gay, but I think their hatred is stronger for effeminate guys. There are so many anti-effeminate putdowns in the black community that are not so much focused on same-sex relations, but whether a male is perceived as masculine or feminine. Also, amongst the younger generation, more and more black guys are friends with other guys they know or suspect or bisexual or gay, but you will notice that most of the time the bisexual/gay guy will be "unclockable," undetectable in his presentation. I hear black guys talk in the barber shop all the time about their bisexual, gay, and DL male friends, and note they often say that their friend is "my nigga" because he is tough, "you can't tell he messes around," and has cred with the streets. While I see tolerance sometimes for effeminate males, I rarely see that type of respect or friendship. Of course, I am speaking very generally, in a particular urban context with young adults that may not be valid everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 7503/08/2012

I always laugh at the thought of homophobic actors in Hollywood, black or white or anything. Its like being a homophobic male figure skater or fashion designer . . . over half of actors are gay (no joke), not to mention everyone behind stage.

Talk about surrounding yourself with the very people you "hate."

by Anonymousreply 7603/08/2012

r76, that is ridiculous. Can you cite an authoritative source for that stat. Perhaps, in small town community theater or even Broadway, but major movies and tv shows, NOT!

by Anonymousreply 7703/08/2012

"effeminate males have it very, very rough in the black community, even if heterosexual"

Yeah. It's hard out here for a limp.

by Anonymousreply 7803/08/2012

by Anonymousreply 8003/08/2012

Re: his alleged refusal to do love scenes with white women. Didn't he have a love scene with Milla Jojovich in "He Got Game"??

by Anonymousreply 8103/08/2012

Does he cheat?

by Anonymousreply 8203/08/2012

"Do you remember what type of boys were in your high school drama club? Because these are the same boys likely to pursue acting in Hollywood and Broadway."

But lots of straight men go into it to "meet girls" - this of course is usually after their sports injury which kept them off the football/baseball/soccer/wrestling team.

by Anonymousreply 8303/08/2012

Sadly, R74 thinks that crapping out a sentence makes a lie the truth.

by Anonymousreply 8403/08/2012

lol R83.

And to further muddy the waters, Hollywood typically pics the most masculine amongst the pool of male Oscars. They have to unless they want to alienate a lot of their audience.

by Anonymousreply 8503/08/2012

I love my faggot ass faggot fans...

... as long as they keep dat shit in the closet.

by Anonymousreply 8603/08/2012

My niece dates a black guy who used to play football with Denzel's son in college. He said his son is really cool, and that Denzel seemed like a nice guy. He only met him once but he came to every game.

by Anonymousreply 8703/09/2012

A lot of these "macho" actors are total queens irl. They take lessons on how to act like real men.

Look at John Wayne. Biggest flamer on earth, yet, he used to be the epitome of cowboy masculinity.

by Anonymousreply 8803/09/2012

"I personally do not think straights are obligated to kiss other men on film, so no I don't think this makes anyone a "homophobe.""

Personally, I think that everyone should be obligated to do WHAT IS IN THE FUCKING SCRIPT, and what they are being paid to do...

by Anonymousreply 8903/09/2012

I didn't say an actor shouldn't follow what's in a script he accepts. I said that the refusal to kiss other men, in na acting context, does not make one anti-gay.

by Anonymousreply 9003/09/2012

R79 is correct, but mostly because Hollywood is run by gays, and has continued the "Greek" tradition of promoting homoerotic behavior under pretext.

I blame lack of GayDar on the part of the public. most of what comes from Hollywood should be pinging for everyone paying attention, but few pay attention, and many like to believe no one else could lie or have a hidden agenda.

by Anonymousreply 9103/09/2012

""Do you remember what type of boys were in your high school drama club? Because these are the same boys likely to pursue acting in Hollywood and Broadway."

actually most of the dudes in my high school drama club are hetersexual. most have gotten married or have multiple kids now. some were effeminate or non-mainstream, but that is not the same as gay or bisexual. as for Hollywood, almost all of the major stars are not only heterosexual, but very masculine to macho.

by Anonymousreply 9203/09/2012

Hahaha R92, lives in an alternative universe. You keep on believing that honey. I don't want to pop that bubble of yours; afterall, this is what Hollywood strives so hard for people like you to believe.

And in your make–believe world, are all fashion designers straight, masculine and macho, too?

Anybody who believes this tripe does not know the first thing about Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 9303/09/2012

Yup. Overrated, homophobic and sanctimonious asshole with an ego the size of pre-surgery Star Jones.

by Anonymousreply 9403/09/2012

[quote]Washington, Denzel. Faithfulness to his wife is not a concept with which Mr. Washington is a familiar. Cruelly and quite chauvinistically crushed his wife's dreams of a singing career. Taps his female costars and then runs. Bisexual "but only when coked up."

by Anonymousreply 9503/09/2012

R85 here. Instead of Oscars, I meant to say actors.

by Anonymousreply 9603/09/2012

[quote]I think Will Smith is good as this guy, who was a real life shyster. Is he in jail, btw?

You mean David Hampton. He's actually dead....of AIDS I believe. He stayed with being a con artist right up to the end. I saw him around a few times, and he used to come into the restaurant where I worked. He always split after eating leaving his unsuspecting date with a crazy story and the bill.

He sued John Guare for appropriating his life's story, and for a share of the profits from "Six Degrees of Separation", and was sued by Guare for harassment, but lost.

by Anonymousreply 9703/09/2012

Denzel Washington is a power bottom

But that might be his problem

Will Smith is gay

But Denzel says no way

Because Will Smith is a power bottom

Two bottoms lead to trying times

In this I cannot abide

Ain't gonna top

Because it would make you pop

Because both Will and Denzel are power bottoms

Mrs. Washington put her life on hold

Because Denzel tried to protect far more than just Will from the cold

Tops are his thing

And for this Jada knows nothing

Because Denzel and Will are both power bottoms

by Anonymousreply 9803/10/2012

More on him being bisexual, please.

by Anonymousreply 9903/12/2012

R90, it sure does make him anti-gay. Can you imagine a male actor refusing to kiss a female?

by Anonymousreply 10003/14/2012

Denzel? Bisexual? I doubt it. Even if he was, which most people are, I doubt he'd ever consider acting on it.

BTW, did you know that Ernst Rohm didn't have sex with a male until he was 37? And he was someone who flaunted it big time.

by Anonymousreply 10103/14/2012

Most people are not bisexual, R101. It's so annoying how people just keep repeating it, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Sorry. Carry on.

by Anonymousreply 10203/14/2012

Well, you know the Kinsey scale is horse shit, right? This guy was a perverted shill paid big bucks to create bullshit.

Hirschfeld is much more accurate. He was a legitimate academic, who, in 1910 did away with his "third sex" theory. Thank God!

by Anonymousreply 10303/14/2012

What I hate most about the Kindey scale BS, is that it was a survey of sexual PRACTICES, not attraction. So, of course, many would be "bisexual" on the Kinsey scale, but it only indicates their experiences, not their actual sexuality. You can be straight on the Kinsey scale and yet exclusively attracted to the same sex.

by Anonymousreply 10403/14/2012

Any information on weather Denzel is hung or not?

by Anonymousreply 10503/14/2012

While promoting his new movie "Safe House," the actor described the difficulty of playing one of the main characters, Tobin Frost -- an ex-CIA agent that has turned into an international (and infamous) criminal. When asked if it was challenging to portray the character, he said:

"There's a book I read called 'The Sociopath Next Door.' And -- I read something from it every day before I would go on the set. It really became my guide. When you think of a think of someone violent. The overwhelming majority of sociopaths aren't violent. They just have a desire to win. They just don't have a conscience -- they don't have it. The majority of them are atheists as well. So that was the book that was sort of my Bible if you preparation for this part."

by Anonymousreply 10603/31/2012

Denzel is probably a jerk but he was right when he told the other African American actor not to kiss a man on screen.

The African-American community is more homophobic than many. Kissing a man on film could make it less likely that blacks would go see his future movies, because they wouldn't want to 'risk' seeing it again. This means his future movies would make less money. This means he'd have a harder time getting parts and when he did his salary would be lower.

Hollywood is all about the money.

by Anonymousreply 10704/01/2012

A good actor who strikes me as a complete bore.

by Anonymousreply 10804/01/2012

-black gossip sites.

by Anonymousreply 11004/01/2012

You all are trippin' so now he's a racist, jerk, who "can't act very well" just because he supposedly advised Will Smith not to kiss a man in a movie. Do you all think its ok to bash other people when they don't agree with you? what makes you different than the people that actually do bash you? Not agreeing with homosexuality doesn't make you a homophobe. Now, going around calling people faggots putting people down and making them feel shitty because you have a predisposed fear and hatred for how they spend their freedom and individual time. I believe that qualifies as a homophobic person, but not someone who simply disagrees.

by Anonymousreply 11107/23/2012

Yes Me, in fact not agreeing with homosexuality DOES indeed make you a homophobe. Just as not agreeing with the equality of the races makes you a racist. There is nothing to agree or disagree with about homosexuality, it is a natural state. Being African American is a natural state. Being a woman is a natural state. Wake up.

by Anonymousreply 11207/23/2012

I don't know if this has been posted, but if Denzel indeed has a white woman rule, he's broken it. In his upcoming Oscar bait Flight he has a romance and several love scenes with Kelly Reilly. I was surprised by the explicitness of it, having heard the old Pelican Brief story. He's not bad in the film.

by Anonymousreply 11609/03/2012

R115. The Bibly says men shouldn't kiss each other? ReallY? Then, Will shouldn't have taken the role, if it so compromised his and Denzel's beliefs. (Though, isn't Will a Scientologist, which, last I heard, had nothing to do with Magic Jesus.)

Get a life.

by Anonymousreply 11709/03/2012

by Anonymousreply 11811/05/2012

He would be so hot if he didn't reek of world class assholism.

by Anonymousreply 11911/05/2012

[quote] From what I've seen, Denzel has a strong Christian faith

who is known to cheat on his wife early and often. How very Christian.

by Anonymousreply 12011/05/2012

He doesn't look hung in that picture although I thinks he's above average. Yes, I've heard he cheats A LOT on his wife with his co-stars etc. so do you think he banged this white chick in his new movie?

by Anonymousreply 12111/05/2012

R121, does he cheat with mean? R120, it's true.

by Anonymousreply 12211/05/2012

mean = men

by Anonymousreply 12311/05/2012

by Anonymousreply 12411/05/2012

I think the quote to Will Smith was "don't you be kissin' no man."

by Anonymousreply 12511/05/2012

Anyone that says, "Don't you be kissing no man!" is homophobic.

Luckily, nobody's checking for Denzel's old ass anymore or cares about what he says except for maybe black women in their late 40's and 50's.

by Anonymousreply 12801/06/2013

Whoever mentioned the rage/grudge issues was right on the money. I remember he talked trash about Fordham and his education and then turns around makes a Chair Scholarship. Odd.

by Anonymousreply 12901/06/2013

How old is this shit? Neither are homophobes.

by Anonymousreply 13001/06/2013

Just watched some FENCES clips on youtube. Christ, he got fat.

by Anonymousreply 13202/11/2013

Denzel is not a homophoobe.

What, everyone needs to suck a dick on screen now to prove that they support us??

by Anonymousreply 13302/11/2013

I don't think DW is a 'phobe and fwiw, his cheating has stopped from what everyone says.

by Anonymousreply 13505/18/2013

Believe it or not, statistics show that Black Americans are actually more liberal than White Americans when it comes to gay rights. Don't let the alpha male toughness that black men feel obligated to portray as a result of societal angst fool you. They can say the word fag all day but that doesn't necessarily mean they hate all gays. These same black men use the n word constantly. In black culture, slurs are sadly apart of casual lingo (thank hip hop for that). I always found it funny that rappers are about to be hypermasculine yet most of their lyrics are about bragging about designers & brand names.

by Anonymousreply 13605/18/2013

**about being hypermasculine

by Anonymousreply 13705/18/2013

I find similarities in both cultures namely: the fascination with appearance & designer names, the animated personalities, superior artistic expression & capability from both groups, the self-absorbedness & "world is against me" complex, & self-destructive streaks (particularly drug use). Disco music also is the lovechild of blacks & gays, and so was the Harlem Renaissance.

by Anonymousreply 13805/18/2013

Do you have a link for your claim that "Black Americans are actually more liberal than White Americans when it comes to gay rights," r137

by Anonymousreply 13905/18/2013

R137 is full of it. Blacks are more liberal than whites in what ways concerning gay rights? Name them.

Then you get really lost talking about cultures. Please just stop.

Also you said:

"In black culture, slurs are sadly apart of casual lingo (thank hip hop for that)"

Please shut-up. Slurs have been part of the "casual lingo" long before hip-hop came along in black culture. Geez.

by Anonymousreply 14005/18/2013

He is, but he did his turn on the casting couch at the beginning of his career.

by Anonymousreply 14105/18/2013

[quote][R137] is full of it. Blacks are more liberal than whites in what ways concerning gay rights? Name them.

For one thing, it was a black president that was the first president to endorse gay marriage. None of your white presidents did that.

Second, the Republican party is mostly white, and those white people are the same people trying prevent gays from having equal rights.

Any questions?

by Anonymousreply 14205/18/2013

That's more an effect of the times R143. In any case, race isn't the issue to be fighting over. It's religion. For example, there are plenty of black and white Baptist homophobes.

by Anonymousreply 14305/18/2013

@143 you can't be that dumb can you?

"Second, the Republican party is mostly white, and those white people are the same people trying prevent gays from having equal rights."

So from that statement you assume blacks are more liberal than whites on gay rights? You do realize black people being Democrats have nothing to do with gay rights, don't you?

Obama caved on gay marriage bc he needed the money from gay rights groups, and frankly, he didn't really have a choice. Not b/c the black community was clamoring for it. Wow.

by Anonymousreply 14405/18/2013

I remember when Denzel won his Oscar; it was right after Sidney Portier won a lifetime achievement awards; he make a crack about following Sidney 'again.'

It sounded like a slam and then he quickly followed up with he's happy to follow him.

Actors are never happy.

by Anonymousreply 14505/18/2013

Homophobic or not, he's certainly one of the most overrated actors of this, or any, generation.

by Anonymousreply 14605/18/2013

[quote]He also has a clause in his contract that he will not have any love scenes with a white woman.

Well Flight soon changed that.

Very interesting story r35 about Jamie Foxx. And funny that Foxx followed him shortly afterwards at the Oscars.

I don't think he's a great actor, but I kinda like Foxx as a person.. he was serviceable in Django and keeps it real compared to some in Hollywood. Not sure about the music but "Slow Jamz" is my favourite Kanye song. He also ripped JLo to shreds in his stand up.

As for Denzel, total asshole no doubt. Being linked to Julia Roberts says it all. I like him onscreen but I bet he's exactly like the Flight /Philadelphia characters.

Also Denzel seemed to get the Training Day Oscar cause of Russell Crowe fucking himself up at the BAFTAs, many thought he would do a Tom Hanks. So he was playing against type as a villain, not really a stretch in reality.

by Anonymousreply 14705/18/2013

This has been a fascinating thread, especially the posts from the black gays.

Sadly, the hatred on this thread is so typical of DL. Very few groups were left out.

by Anonymousreply 14805/18/2013

by Anonymousreply 14905/18/2013

There are a few Hollywood actors I can't stand. Adam Sandler, Leonardo, Orlando Bloom AND Denzel Washington. If he's in a movie I won't watch.

by Anonymousreply 15005/18/2013

59% of Black Americans support gay marriage in the United States compared to only 50% of whites. Blacks have supported gay marriage at a higher rate than white people since 1992. It's straight white men in those bumf*ck hillbilly towns that hate gays & blacks the most.

by Anonymousreply 15105/18/2013

Denzel was RIGHT. It's not a gay bashing thing. Black male actors are often asked to wear dresses and act gay. Heterosexual men understand that this lesses the power of the black male image / masculity in the eyes of the majority (98% of the country that isn't gay). If you don't get it, that's because you likely life in a gay world and can't relate.

by Anonymousreply 15208/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!