Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Baseball 2012

Still in spring training, but I'm enjoying the Yankees vs Phillies. 2-2, top of the 6th. Hunter Pence looks like he has massive thighs. Yum!

by Anonymousreply 15711/16/2012

Opening Day!

by Anonymousreply 104/05/2012

Watching Red Sox vs. Tigers right now.

Anyone else think Justin Verlander is hot in a non-traditional way?

by Anonymousreply 204/05/2012

Phillies vs Pirates here. Halladay pitching for the Phil's. Hope the Phils improved their batting since last season.

by Anonymousreply 304/05/2012

Halladay hit two pitchers. Papelbon might come in to finish.

by Anonymousreply 404/05/2012

Hunter Pence is a beast this year

by Anonymousreply 504/05/2012

First win of the season for the Phillies.

by Anonymousreply 604/05/2012

Yay Phillies, starting the new season off with a bang.

They might be missing two of their big guns, Chase and Ryan, but they have one of the biggest guns in baseball back on the team. That big lug, Jim Thome, always puts on a nice show of tugging and readjusting and straightening out that big piece of his in the batter's box. His cup has to be specially made and it still runneth over. Yum!

So good to have baseball back.

by Anonymousreply 704/05/2012

oh my

by Anonymousreply 804/05/2012

Now that Joey Votto has a huge contract that secures his place with the Reds for the rest of his career, I hope he takes the opportunity to come out. It would mean so much.

He probably won't though :(

by Anonymousreply 904/05/2012

The Phillies have some nice butts on their team.

by Anonymousreply 1004/08/2012

Yankees are 0-3 and the Mets are 3-0 The world's gone crazy

by Anonymousreply 1104/09/2012

Phillies losing, including today at their home opener.

by Anonymousreply 1204/09/2012

Whenever Buster Posey (who I always want to call Parker) comes up to bat, he looks like he's 12 years old.

by Anonymousreply 1304/18/2012

Danny Worth, Detroit Tigers. He looks better with scruff.

by Anonymousreply 1404/19/2012

anyone else watching the Phillies and Braves? this game is madness. both teams keep coming ahead, then the other ties. been like this for a few inning. Carlos Ruiz has been great - a home run and a 3-run double.

by Anonymousreply 1505/02/2012

I came in late, R15. Wish I had followed from the start. What a crazy game!

by Anonymousreply 1605/02/2012

First, I hate the Brave tomahawk chant. I wonder if Halladay had been allowed to stay in the game longer if the Phillies would have won. Ruiz helped score all those runs for nothing. He certainly is filling in for Utley and Howard for hitting support. Part of it might be that he knows the game so well from a catcher's perspective that he can anticipate pitches.

by Anonymousreply 1705/03/2012

One of my all time faves...Javy Lopez of the Braves.

by Anonymousreply 1805/03/2012

Big Joe Blanton was phenomenal today in his outing against the Braves. He pitched all 9 innings, throwing only 88 pitches with the Phillies winning 4-0.

by Anonymousreply 1905/03/2012

I'm with R18. Javy had one of the best baseball butts ever.

by Anonymousreply 2005/03/2012

The Javy Lopez Butt

by Anonymousreply 2105/06/2012

Jayson Werth left the Phillies/Nationals game earlier apparently due to an injury to his wrist when he attempted to catch a fly ball. He was hunched over on the outfield grass for some time, holding his wrist until the coaches came out to look and then lead him off.

by Anonymousreply 2205/06/2012

The Phillies were great in their top half of the 9th. They should be playing like that all the time. And Cole Hamels was great as well, except for hitting the one batter (who seemed like a cocky young thing anyway).

by Anonymousreply 2305/06/2012

by Anonymousreply 2405/07/2012

Hamels suspended five games for hitting Harper

By Doug Miller / | 05/07/12 5:14 PM ET

A day after Phillies pitcher Cole Hamels stoked the budding rivalry between his team and the Washington Nationals by hitting Bryce Harper with a pitch and then admitting that he did it intentionally, Major League Baseball responded by suspending the left-hander for five games and hitting him with an undisclosed fine.

Hamels, who has said he will not file an appeal, will begin serving his suspension Monday night, when the Phillies are slated to host the New York Mets. It appears Roy Halladay will pitch on regular rest on Saturday, with Hamels taking the mound again Sunday against the Padres at Citizens Bank Park.

Hamels struck the 19-year-old outfielder in the small of the back with a 93-mph fastball in the first inning of Philadelphia's 9-3 victory. Harper scored the first run of the game by stealing home, and Hamels spoke openly about his intentions afterwards.

"I was trying to hit him," Hamels said. "I'm not going to deny it. I'm not trying to injure the guy. They're probably not going to like me for it, but I'm not going to say I wasn't trying to do it. I think they understood the message, and they threw it right back. That's the way, and I respect it. They can say whatever they want."

On Monday morning, Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo expressed outrage at Hamels' act, telling the Washington Post that the incident was "classless" and "gutless," among other strong adjectives, and calling for the suspension.

"Cole Hamels says he's old school?" Rizzo said to the newspaper. "He's the polar opposite of old school. He's fake tough. He thinks he's going to intimidate us after hitting our 19-year-old rookie who's eight games into the big leagues? He doesn't know who he's dealing with.

"This goes beyond rivalry and all that stuff. This points to, you take the youngest guy in baseball. He's never done a thing. And then Hamels patted himself on the back [for hitting him]. Harper's old school. Hitting him on the back, that ain't old school. That's [expletive]."

Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann hit Hamels with a pitch later in the game and denied doing it intentionally, but Phillies manager Charlie Manuel didn't seem to buy that, either. Manuel reacted to Hamels' comments in an interview with a radio station on Monday.

"I wish [Hamels had] been a little bit more, what do you call it, not so honest, or dishonest, or discreet, that might be the right word," Manuel said on Monday on 94.1/610 WIP.

"What I saw was the next time Hamels came up to bat, they definitely retaliated, he got hit on the calf and he could have got hurt. If the guy would have hit him hard on the bone part of his leg, that could have hurt. ... I like to think it was dropped right there and the rest of it will be done baseball-wise."

by Anonymousreply 2505/07/2012

Okay, so Hamels admits to hitting Harper and gets fined, but Zimmerman, who also purposely hit Hamels, gets away scot-free?

by Anonymousreply 2605/07/2012

Lifetime Phillies fan but I'm reaching the point where I feel like not watching the games but only following the standings and watching the highlights. Again tonight, they had the lead and then blew it.

by Anonymousreply 2705/07/2012

Phillies in last place by 5 games in the NL East.

by Anonymousreply 2805/08/2012

Phillies lose again tonight. Blanton did good, allowing only one run in the top half of the game but got into some trouble later on in the 7th with the score 4-1. So what did Charlie Manuel do? He took him out and the new pitcher allowed three runs, tying the game.

by Anonymousreply 2905/08/2012

Is it just me or are baseball players not as hot as they were about 10-20 years ago?

by Anonymousreply 3005/08/2012

There are still quite a few hot guys in MLB. I think the difference is, years ago, they looked like the average guy next door while today some look like they could be models or movie stars.

by Anonymousreply 3105/09/2012

Phillies blew ANOTHER lead tonight. Still in last place.

by Anonymousreply 3205/09/2012

Are there any MLB baseball players with womanly looking butts?

by Anonymousreply 3305/11/2012

R33, how about keeping that topic in your Anthony Recker thread?

by Anonymousreply 3405/11/2012

That's a great point, R31. I prefer the guy next door or hot dad look so that makes sense.

Anyone care to assemble a list of their top hot men in baseball?

by Anonymousreply 3505/11/2012

Both Lou Gehrig and Ted Williams were very cute in their day.

by Anonymousreply 3605/11/2012

My list starts and ends with Brad Ausmus, R35. Former catcher (tigers, Astros, Dodgers) who is still involved behind the scenes.

by Anonymousreply 3705/12/2012

Oh, yes. The smell of the freshly cut green grass, the crack of the bat, and my, ahem, "orientation" for rookies.

by Anonymousreply 3805/12/2012

HATE the pink bats. I know they're for a good cause but they look so stupid.

by Anonymousreply 3905/13/2012

Pic: Penis in background as Mets pitcher RA Dickey is interviewed (NSFW):

by Anonymousreply 4006/03/2012

Whose dickie is behind Dickey? Is it David Wright?

by Anonymousreply 4106/03/2012

R41, the current speculation is that the dick belongs to Daniel Murphy.

by Anonymousreply 4206/03/2012

Check out minor league hottie Brandon Ketron -

by Anonymousreply 4306/30/2012

What happened with Jim "Anaconda" Thome? He, along with Ruben Amaro, made such a big deal when he signed with the Phillies and now he's been traded for two minor league prospects. Were his injuries, not letting him play on base, that bad?

by Anonymousreply 4406/30/2012

Whatever happened to Pat "The Bat" Burrell?

by Anonymousreply 4507/01/2012

[quote} What happened with Jim "Anaconda" Thome?

Nothing's wrong with him. He just made the mistake of getting old. He'll be 42 in August.

by Anonymousreply 4607/01/2012

42? Why, he's practically in diapers!

by Anonymousreply 4707/01/2012

Congratulations to Cliff Lee for getting his first win of the season.

by Anonymousreply 4807/04/2012

I wondered if the Phillies fan would pipe up when I saw that Lee is finally off the schneid.

Any news about them trading Cole?

by Anonymousreply 4907/04/2012

I just want to weigh in about Cliff today too: he's got a great butt, although the away uniforms don't show it as well as the pinstripes.

Rumor has it Cole will not be traded by the deadlione because whoever he's traded to can also lose him in free agency, so they'd only have him for a few months.

by Anonymousreply 5007/04/2012

R50, If Hamels will agree to go (I don't know if he's got a no-trade clause) and wants to get on a team that might make the playoffs, the promise of only having him for half a season might not make a difference to the team in need of some pitching.

Similar to CC Sabathia going to the Brewers at the All-Star break 4 year ago. Milwaukee knew they stood little chance of signing him after that season, but they shot their wad (so to speak) and he got them to the playoffs.

In the same way, Cole can help some team that feels they just need that one more reliable starter. But he'd have to want it like CC did - he wanted to get to a contending team that season and then deal with a long term contract after the playoffs.

I don't know who would be any contenders for him - I haven't been listening to the chat in the past couple of weeks and I can't think of any team off the top of my head.

by Anonymousreply 5107/04/2012

Ugh, how come virtually everyone posting in this thread is a phucking Phillies fan? they're dead last in the NL East.

by Anonymousreply 5207/04/2012

Normally the All Star game bores me silly and I wish they'd just give everyone the week off. But tonight I'm going to be watching because I'm excited by some of the younger players. I want to see Mark Trumbo and Mike Trout and Bryce Harper.

Did everyone see the Letterman Top 10 List last night? I thought Chris Sale had the funniest line, and CJ Wilson gave the best delivery.

by Anonymousreply 5307/10/2012

Regarding Letterman -- Mauer while seeming stoic to the causal viewer, was pretty dynamic for him. He does have the aw shucks charm going, although his uniform pants have gotten too baggy the last couple of years. You don't get a true appreciation for his catcher's butt unless you see him running the bases.

by Anonymousreply 5407/10/2012

Luke Bryan, who I don't really know much about aside from a previous DL post showing him grabbing his friend's crotch, looked exceptionally hot while singing the national anthem.

What is the weather like in KC today? I haven't heard the announcers mention the heatwave at all and the players aren't sweating, so maybe it's eased?

by Anonymousreply 5507/10/2012

John Rocker might not be as major of an asshole today as he was a decade ago. Unbelievable.

While he doesn't say he's in support of gay marriage, he does say it's not his business to be in judgement of other people. That's a far cry from the hateful things he's said before.

by Anonymousreply 5607/17/2012

[quote]Phillies sign LHP Cole Hamels to 6-year, $144 million contract extension.

Good deal for all those involved? Is Cole worth the money?

by Anonymousreply 5707/25/2012

Now, who will be leaving so we can afford this?

by Anonymousreply 5807/25/2012

There had been rumors abouts teams who were interested in Lee and Pence, both of whom are doing okay (the former mostly due to lack of support) but not quite living up to the hype of their initial signings.

by Anonymousreply 5907/25/2012

Maybe, just maybe the Angels have done what it will take to help them overtake the Rangers this year. Trouble for both teams is the 'Moneyball' Athletics are coming on strong.

I wonder how hard the Angels went after Cole Hamels? We'll see if they ultimately are forced to offer Greinke as inflated a deal as the Phillies gave Hamels.

Of the big payroll teams that can afford Greinke, Anaheim seems like it might be the best place for a player with social anxiety disorder.

by Anonymousreply 6007/27/2012

This BoSox/Dodgers monster swap is more interesting than anything that happened around the trade deadline. I don't really understand how the Dodgers can take on all of the additional payroll though. Weren't they bankrupt like a year ago?

It will be interesting to see if Boston sticks with Valentine for another season now that they've rolled over so many players.

by Anonymousreply 6108/25/2012

Really nice to see the San Francisco crowd give Chipper Jones a standing ovation when he was announced as a pinch hitter in the last inning tonight. And I was touched when he stepped out of the batter's box and tipped his hat to the crowd to acknowledge their appreciation.

I'm sure fans at other venues are doing it too as he takes he last at-bats in their ballparks, but I only got to see this one because it was the ESPN Sunday night game. Even the Mets faithful will probably show respect in the upcoming last series at Citi.

by Anonymousreply 6208/27/2012

All I know is that there seems to be a decline in the ass slapping--there isn't as much ass smacking going on as there once was, it's all this hand slapping shit. If I pay good money to get in I want to see those baseball asses smacked plentifully and hard as they were years ago--and smacked right where the butt protrudes the most in those tight baseball pants. Mike Schmidt had his ass slapped so many times years ago that I understand it is now deflated and that is as it should be. Baseball is grindingly boring, must it be made even moreso by taking away one of the few things that make it slightly interesting? It's like how slot machines have become push button with no coins dropping into the tray below--BORING!!! Not only that, whatever there is of ass slapping now, the camera avoids it. Could it be they won't do it because it's **gasp**, GAY?!

by Anonymousreply 6308/27/2012

I had a sex dream about Bryce Harper (who I don't find least not consciously) this weekend. Strangely, he wasn't dressed like this.

On a more serious topic, I mean to add a comment and discussion here about my shock at the news that the Twins put Joe Mauer on waivers a couple of weeks ago, but it's no longer a timely discussion so I won't bring it up.

by Anonymousreply 6409/09/2012

Locally, the sports media thought the Mauer on waivers story was really over-blown. The Twins put everyone on waivers, and Mauer has a no trade clause. At the most, they might have been curious if the Red Sox would offer the farm, but I don't think anyone thought any trade would develop.

I like Mauer, but his contract is big, and really only makes sense in Minnesota where he is a PR bonanza. He might have his critics, but he is the face of the franchise and still dominates in jersey sales. Little kids love him as do the pink jersey buying females. For someone who goes out of his way to be low key and boring, he provokes the most talk.

by Anonymousreply 6509/11/2012

Is Mauer the one who does the Head and Shoulders tv commercial at the ball park, catching a foul ball while simultaneously flirting with a female fan?

by Anonymousreply 6609/11/2012

Correct, Mauer is the one in the H&S commercial.

by Anonymousreply 6709/11/2012

Is A-Rod shirtless

hee hee hee

by Anonymousreply 6809/11/2012

I don't understand what's going on with Roger Clemens. I mean I know he wants to pitch in the majors again, but I don't follow why the Astros would consider bringing him on for the last 2 weeks of the season?

Why would a team that's been out of contention since June consider adding a high profile pitcher to the roster for 2 (maybe 3) starts? Is it just to get some attention and sell tickets to the last games?

Frankly, if he does pitch for them, I hope he gets rocked.

by Anonymousreply 6909/11/2012

[quote] I don't understand what's going on with Roger Clemens. I mean I know he wants to pitch in the majors again, but I don't follow why the Astros would consider bringing him on for the last 2 weeks of the season?

Not hard to figure at all. Clemens, who's eligible for the first time for the Hall of Fame this December, wants to reset his 5-year HOF clock to buy more time (another 5 years)and hopefully let the steroid storms wane. And I believe the Astros' owner is a friend. It's not like the Astros are in contention and have anything to lose by letting Clemens pitch this year.

by Anonymousreply 7009/11/2012

The reset of the 5-year HOF clock should be a drawback to resigning, not a motivator. Clemens has such an arrogance about his PED use that I'd be surprised if he thinks anyone in baseball doesn't believe in his innocence.

But of course a majority of baseball writers/HOF voters have expressed their doubts. He's never getting in - no matter how often he resets that clock.

Of course the 'Stros have nothing to lose, but what are they gaining? Is it really just a favor for a friend?

If Roger were really serious about wanting to play again, he should hope an AL team considers him. His fat ass (he must have laid off the HGH lately) won't be able to swing a bat. He's gone all David Wells.

by Anonymousreply 7109/11/2012

Just thought of it as I sent my last message. The Astros will be AL next year. Maybe they can better use the guy then.

by Anonymousreply 7209/11/2012

Kevin McClatchy, former CEO and co-owner of the Pirates, has come out in this article in NY Times. He separated with the team in 2007.

It's another case where someone was too afraid to make such an announcement while they were directly involved in the sport, and he acknowledges that the impact would be different if he had the strength to do it when he was with the team.

Every step helps with changing the culture. It's too slow for my liking, but I still praise these events when they happen.

by Anonymousreply 7309/23/2012

Whatever happened to the gay baseball fan's wet dream gay Brady Anderson of Baltimore O's?

by Anonymousreply 7409/23/2012

Watching the Rangers/Athletics game online right now. It's so great that the mighty Rangers have had a solid lead in the division since early summer, and yesterday the lowly (by payroll standards) A's caught them. A great David vs. Goliath story.

So today they are both playing to secure their division title. The A's were down early, but they have rallied and now have a 7-5 lead in the bottom of the 5th.

Nationals won earlier today to lock up the No. 1 seed in the NL. And Teddy Roosevelt finally won the President's Race - with some help from the Philly Phanatic.

Chipper Jones got a nice farewell salute in Pittsburgh where he hit a single in his last regular season at bat. And Ben Sheets is joining him on the retirement train after pitching his last inning in that same game.

Later we see if the O's can take the AL East from the Yankees.

Today can't be a thrilling as the final regular season day last year, but it's still got some good stuff going on.

by Anonymousreply 7510/03/2012

[quote]Nationals won earlier today to lock up the No. 1 seed in the NL. And Teddy Roosevelt finally won the President's Race - with some help from the Philly Phanatic.

That was one sorry assed looking Phanatic which made it all the more funnier. It was great when his nose fell out during the presidential scramble.

Many people, including players, are blaming the Phillies' lack of a post-season spot on injuries but in an interview after the game, Jonathon Papelbon said (paraphrased) "A lot of people are saying that but it's really no excuse". I wonder if he'll get any flak for speaking the truth.

The Phillies fans also voted on their favorite moment of 2012. The winner was Chase Utley's home run at his first at bat upon his return from the DL. The second was Darin Ruf's home run hit during his first major league appearance at bat.

by Anonymousreply 7610/03/2012

R76 that Utley homer was the highlight of the season and I was at that game. Pretty sad that's the highlight of what used to be an awesome team. I'm now rooting for the O's.

by Anonymousreply 7710/03/2012

Phillies = fat cats = no motivation to win.

End of story.

by Anonymousreply 7810/03/2012

I wonder what the Nats' attendance will be like next season. There were a lot of games where there was a lot of empty seats but they started filling up as the team progressed toward the post-season. Remember when they wanted to "take back the stadium" from Phillies fans?

by Anonymousreply 7910/03/2012

Brady Anderson was in the Orioles dugout last night during the play-in game. Well he was sort of in the dugout. Late in the game there was a shot of Jim Thome and you could see Brady behind him standing on the stairs leading to the locker rooms.

It made me wonder if he was there as an honorary guest of the team and he had to stay on the stairs (technically out of the dugout). So I googled him and learned something I didn't know. This year Brady actually works for the Os as a special health and fitness adviser, or some similar made up title.

It's cool that a guy so connected to the franchise is still involved with them, but...

Brady as an adviser on fitness? Sure he was (and apparently still is) a workout fiend, but come on. Not everything that aided the building of his physique back in his playing days is still allowed in baseball. I'm sure he knows his stuff about workout routines and would be a good trainer, but it's gotta strike some as a little fishy.

by Anonymousreply 8010/06/2012

There still needs to be much more ass slapping......

by Anonymousreply 8110/06/2012

I love Stephen Drew (JD's little brother) and I'm glad he's getting a chance at postseason play with the A's after things went sour for him with the Diamondbacks.

In general Oakland is such a feel-good story that I hope they can manage to make it to the WS. Not a great start today though.

Another Bay Bridge World Series would be fun - flashbacks to the 1989 earthquake.

But a Beltway World Series would be similarly cool.

by Anonymousreply 8210/06/2012

What's going on with Tim Lincecum? Whatever it is, I just saw a photo where it looks like his hair is going grey. Of all people, I think he'd rock a salt'n'pepper look.

by Anonymousreply 8310/07/2012

The minor fiasco with putting Lincecum in the game last night was kind of funny. He kind of loosened up in the bullpen, but not really. Then when headed to take a seat on the bench, they surprised him and put him into the game to pitch - without a real warm up. And he had a great inning which was nice to see.

He's had a very sub-par year overall. Hopefully he's going to do a full Barry Zito and come back strong next season.

I couldn't find a video clip of this, but I found a profile pic of Buster getting molested by the home plate ump from Game 1. It looked much better in motion on video though because you can see the ump put his arms around Buster and move in tight.

by Anonymousreply 8410/08/2012

wow, r84, that's crazy. I've seen some home plate umps who like to reach out with one hand and lightly balance it on the catchers' back, and you can tell that catchers generally don't like even that much contact (it must be distracting as hell). I've never seen an ump hug and grind on a catcher like that. Posey couldn't have been happy about it.

by Anonymousreply 8510/09/2012

So far these playoffs have been pretty awesome. The A's coming from behind to win tonight was particularly thrilling. I was sure they were out of it when they went down 2-0 to Detroit, but it was my mistake to count those boys out.

The fact that they took their division title from Texas and could still possibly knock off Detroit with their Cy Young and MVP award winning pitcher, their triple crown (and probably MVP award) winning third baseman, and their high profile (and tall dollars) acquisition of Prince Fielder makes them my sentimental choice to get to the WS.

- A-Rod getting replaced at third and moved down the batting order is great.

- Bryce Harper scuffling is not entirely unexpected, but I'm hoping he breaks out of it and does something long as the Nats can stay in it.

- Lincecum being such a fired up and strong reliever has got to be a good boost to his confidence. Hopefully next year he'll be back to the Cy Young pitcher we all know he can be.

And a non-playoff story that I'm intrigued by is the Josh Hamilton situation. I thought the Rangers were a good fit for him given how accommodating they've been. They have done what they can to minimize that possibility of him getting into situations where he's tempted to relapse. Now the reports today have changed from TX is letting him explore free agency so that they ultimately bring him back for less money/less years to they aren't likely to bring him back at all.

That's not as stunning to me as learning that the Twins put Joe Mauer on waivers, but it's up there.

Hamilton is as talented a player as there is. But he's got a lot of baggage and potential baggage (including the always present threat of losing him if he relapses again). What team can afford him? What team would be a good fit - with his special considerations?

Following what happens with Josh this offseason will be the equivalent of last year's Albert Pujols saga.

by Anonymousreply 8610/11/2012

I didn't realize Kevin McClatchy (previous Pirates owner/general manager) did an interview for Outside the Lines a couple of weeks ago when he announced his coming out.

He mentions how years ago he read a post on Outsports about how someone spotting him in a London gay bar. He said he was in that bar and he's surprised that someone would recognize him. Reading that Outsports comment scared him and probably pushed him deeper into the closet.

What's funny about it is that most of the time when I read comments like that about celebs here on DL, I never believe any of them. But now I have to rethink how some stuff people post may actually be true.

by Anonymousreply 8710/11/2012

"They have done what they can to minimize that possibility of him getting into situations where he's tempted to relapse."

R86, what would he relapse into, drugs, alcohol or both?

by Anonymousreply 8810/11/2012

Both, R88. He is both clean and sober now.

Hamilton had an alcohol relapse in February this year that was a big scare, but was dealt with quickly. It was reported he was at a bar (which he doesn't do at all now without an equivalent of a team representative/sober buddy as part of his recovery) and by the next day he had a press conference apologizing and explaining to the team and fans.

His serious problems with drugs kept him out of baseball for years in the early 2000s. And it's the possibility of losing him to drugs again that has got to make teams very leery of bringing him on board - especially with a long term contract.

by Anonymousreply 8910/12/2012

Looks like Doug Fister is doing some fisting here -

by Anonymousreply 9010/13/2012

R90, one of the fervent "wishes", for the humorous possibilities of course, among some baseball fans is that there be a game with Fister, Recker and Furbush playing.

by Anonymousreply 9110/13/2012

Raul Ibanez is that man! So clutch!

I'm no Yankee fan (or a hater), but it's impossible not to respect that guy as a player.

Derek Jeter broke his ankle tonight. Even in slow motion that play didn't look like it should have done any damage, but you could tell by his reaction something serious happened. Too bad - he's one of the good guys in the game.

So it's great that the Tigers stole one from the Yankees on their field - no thanks to Valverde.

Max Scherzer's brown eye creeps me out a little.

by Anonymousreply 9210/14/2012

Jeter fractures an ankle. Out for the season!

Yankees, down 4-zip, tie the game in the bottom of the ninth with two two-run homers. Detroit breaks the tie in the twelfth on a blunder by Nick Swisher. Then Jeter lands hard and goes down screaming, has to be assisted off the field. One a.m. before it's done: a heartbreaking 6-4 loss for NY fans.

by Anonymousreply 9310/14/2012

Big Time Timmy Jim gets the start tomorrow. Your boy is finally coming out of the bullpen - weather permitting, that is.

And Max Scherzer's weird brown eye might eliminate the A-Rod and Jeter-free Yankees tomorrow - also weather permitting.

by Anonymousreply 9410/18/2012

I wish all sports teams would do this.

The Cubbies are dropping some ticket prices next season. It's not by a lot, but it's a better acknowledgment of both their performance and the general economy than boosting prices every year - especially after such a crappy year as they had.

by Anonymousreply 9510/18/2012

How nice that they gayed up the telecast by opening the night with Matthew Morrison (and his fancy scarf) singing the National Anthem.

No way did I think the Giants would still be alive after tonight, but that ridiculously overpaid bastard Barry Zito pitched like he hasn't in years.

by Anonymousreply 9610/20/2012

With you on Zito, R96. Giants bats were great to see. I want the Tigers to take it all, but would like to see the Giants as their competition.

by Anonymousreply 9710/20/2012

That drag queen that sang God Bless America during the 7th inning stretch tonight - I didn't get it.

The attached helped me understand that Beach Blanket Babylon (and the crazy headwear) is a San Francisco thing, and Misa Malone might actually be a female.

Too bad she fucked up the lyrics because otherwise she sang well.

Anyway, I'm glad we got to a Game 7. Bring on Lohse vs. Cain tomorrow. Can't ask for much better.

by Anonymousreply 9810/22/2012

Go Giants! I didn't think this would happen.

by Anonymousreply 9910/23/2012

Things look really good for the Giants now and maybe not so hot for the Tigers fans. The Nos. 1 & 2 pitchers haven't even gone yet for San Fran, yet the Giants are already up 1-0 vs. the Detroit ace.

Kung Fu Panda was a stud tonight with his 3 homers, but even more impressive was that 2 of them were off Verlander.

Some fluke-ish things are still happening that seem to go San Fran's way (like the ball bouncing off the 3rd base bag tonight), but those were well earned runs tonight against a team with mountains of talent - and allegedly great (potential) offense which was stifled tonight.

Lincecum coming out of the bullpen continues to be fantastic!

I still can't buy that Barry Zito has morphed into an artful pitcher like Greg Maddux. But I'm impressed with his turnaround in performance and it was pretty cool to hear the crowd chanting his name.

which lead to...

Tim McCarver cracking himself up because he started talking about Barry Manilow when Joe Buck was trying to lead him into mentioning Barry Bonds. Those two girls have so much fun together.

The guy that sang the National Anthem is the most recent winner of American Idol? Judging by this guy I'm guessing there couldn't have been a strong bunch of contestants this year.

by Anonymousreply 10010/25/2012

Madison Bumgarner must have some chronic sinus problems.

He does that move of closing one nostril with his finger while blowing snot out the other side a lot. He for sure does it every time after finishing his warm up pitches before the batter steps in the box. It's pretty sexy.

by Anonymousreply 10110/25/2012

Wish there was more Giants love here on the DL. Am a lifelong baseball fan and Bay Area native (Yes, Giants and A's fan).

Pretty, overpaid GOP boy Zito finally redeemed himself last night.

Older, overweight, experienced Panda made us proud.

Buster Posey is really the comeback success story of the year. He got us to this world series.

My future husbear, Brian Wilson, can't play this year after his Tommy John surgery, but he's still our homoerotic cheerleader.

MadBum has the hottest MLB ass.

Matt Cain used to live two blocks from me but sold his house. Maybe he didn't want to live so close to a DL queen.

Lincecum had a mediocre year, but is still our favorite pothead.

Vamanos, Los Heegantes!!!

by Anonymousreply 10210/25/2012

It's not just Giants love that is in short supply here, r102, it's appreciation for baseball in general that's deficient. For example, this thread took an entire season to hit the 100 posts mark. And other threads that people start through the season are lucky to get a couple dozen responses.

There is a Philly fan that posts when they are doing well. Recently there have been some comments from a Tigers fan and an Orioles fan as they had great years.

But in general it seems baseball discussion threads on DL are reflective of dwindling interest in the sport in general popular culture. As a fan of the game, I'm saddened by it. Especially since it seems less common to find people to be able to discuss the game with the twist of having a gay perspective.

Your post is great, r102, and I'm also hoping your Giants take the Series.

by Anonymousreply 10310/25/2012

Thank you, V.

Baseball is such a gay, melodramatic soap opera, complete with gorgeous divas, twists and turns and scandals. What's not to love?!

Most of my gay male friends and 120% of my Lezbos and straighties are baseball fans.

Brian Wilson might not be gay, but I predict that he'll come out of the closet next year, anyway. Locally, he will be anointed (or lubed) into Sainthood.

The score is 0-0 at the moment and my neighborhood is deafeningly silent.

It is delirious to be in San Francisco right now. Wish you were here. Thanks for your well wishes.

by Anonymousreply 10410/25/2012

Another retired ball player has come out. John Dillinger was an 11-year minor leaguer who never got called up to the bigs. Poor guy never let himself act on his attraction to guys until he was 33 and had already retired from the game.

He was inspired to tell his story after hearing about the Pirates former general manager/CEO Kevin McClatchy coming out a couple of months ago. It's a good sign that there is a trickle down affect as more and more guys are comfortable telling their stories because they've heard others. Hopefully the positive steps forward from all of these former players will eventually give a current player the balls to come to speak.

It's a good story to read now that we have a day off from baseball.

by Anonymousreply 10510/26/2012

Bumgarner, Posey, Scutero, Pagan and me as their willing gangbang bitch!

by Anonymousreply 10610/26/2012

[quote]Locally, he will be anointed (or lubed) into Sainthood.

Great line.

by Anonymousreply 10710/26/2012

I like the idea of Brian Wilson coming out, r102/r104, even if he's not really gay. He's definitely the personality to do such a thing.

And he also seems the type of ally that is aware of the benefit of such a high profile player declaring he's a proud gay man, and the cascade effect that could have for the other gays in the sport. Someone has got to do it sometime and the first will be a hero that is OK with handling the added scrutiny. Wilson's ego could definitely roll with that level of attention and worship.

There was a great 5-minute piece that FoxSports ran of Brian just hanging out in his neighborhood that I wish I could attach here, but I can't find it online. As a character he's a little too much for my taste, but it's cool when he lets people see him as just a real person.

by Anonymousreply 10810/26/2012

So who is everyone crushing on this WS? I've gotta say, Crawford is just dreamy but Fister, with his height, is pretty hot as well...

by Anonymousreply 10910/26/2012

Rick Porcello has a similar look and build as Doug Fister, but I think Porcello has a hotter ass.

Giants reliever George Kontos is probably the player I'm most recently crushing on.

by Anonymousreply 11010/26/2012

Brandon Belt isn't especially good looking, but he's got some juicy cock-sucking lips.

by Anonymousreply 11110/26/2012

R100 writes:

[quote]Things look really good for the Giants now and maybe not so hot for the Tigers fans. The Nos. 1 & 2 pitchers haven't even gone yet for San Fran, yet the Giants are already up 1-0 vs. the Detroit ace.

Detroit Tigers is on pace to become swept by Game #04 in Detroit's Comerica Park.

I notice this: Since the current division and postseason structure dating back to 1995, there were four teams that swept their League Championship Series (while the opposing counterpart went at least six games to win their pennant): Atlanta Braves (1995), Detroit Tigers (2006), Colorado Rockies (2007), and Detroit Tigers again in 2012. All of them swept their opponent, yes, but in the opposing league, Cleveland Indians (1995) played six games; St. Louis Cardinals (2006) went to the full seven games; so did Boston Red Sox (2007) as well as San Francisco Giants (2012).

Not counting 2012 yet, because the World Series is still playing out, only Atlanta won the ultimate title. Detroit lost in 2006 by Game #05. Colorado, with their first-ever pennant, were swept in the 2007 series by Game #04.

In 1984, Detroit won their ALCS against Kansas City Royals in a 3-to-0 sweep. In fact, since expansion began in 1969, all of Detroit's pennants resulted in having swept their ALCS opponent: 1984, 2006, 2012. (They beat the 2006 Oakland Athletics and 2012 New York Yankees both with 4-to-0 sweeps.) The 1984 ALCS was a best-of-five format. And their NL counterpart, San Diegeo Padres, went the full five games to defeat Chicago Cubs and win their first-ever pennant. Detroit took the World Series by Game #05.

The problem with this best-of-seven format for the ALCS is that it does a job on a team that succeeds in sweeping their opponent by four games when the opposing league goes to at least six games. That's because, during regular season, the teams don't have much down time. Their best chance at any time off is in July with the Home Run Derby and All-Star Game. But sweeping an LCS, while the other league's winner goes near or to the full max, means essentially a week off between winning the pennant and playing Game #01 of the World Series while the opposing league's pennant winner are still conditioned for game-playing.

I would like to see the LCS reduced to a best-of-five series. And if MLB doesn't do that, then guarantee a schedule that the World Series Game #01 cannot start until both teams have had a minimum of seven days off after having won their league pennant.

If MLB doesn't make such changes, I'd recommend that every team that advances to the LCS and is poised to sweep their opponent en route to the pennant … they should deliberately lose Game #04 and then lose Game #05 and make their LCS go to at least Game #06.

by Anonymousreply 11210/26/2012

[quote]...I'd recommend that every team that advances to the LCS and is poised to sweep their opponent en route to the pennant … they should deliberately lose Game #04 and then lose Game #05 and make their LCS go to at least Game #06.

That part is a joke, right r112?

Are you expressing your own feeling on this matter, or is this an opinion piece from someone else?

Either way I have 2 points of disagreement

1) Playoff series of less than best-of-7 increase the chances of fluke things happening and the better team not necessarily winning. Seven seems like just the right amount of games to reward the overall better set of players. Best-of-5 isn't horrible (but not worthy of championships), but the best-of-3 or single game play-ins are borderline ridiculous.

2) Teams that are good enough to sweep their match-ups need to handle the extra time off wisely. Some players need the well earned break to R&R. But if the team feels they need to stay game tough, they have the option to do things to make that happen. The Tigers kind of tried this this year, but they could have gone full-scale and paid for their Triple-A team to come to Detroit and play real games on their days off. Something along those lines.

We shouldn't feel bad for the assumed disadvantage that teams 'suffer' when they play well enough to earn some extra days off between series.

It's all about smart team management, and I see it as a failure on the part of the teams that have longer breaks if they can't make the best use of that time to keep their players sharp. The schedule shouldn't be adjusted for their sake.

by Anonymousreply 11310/26/2012

R113 writes:

[quote]It's all about smart team management, and I see it as a failure on the part of the teams that have longer breaks if they can't make the best use of that time to keep their players sharp. The schedule shouldn't be adjusted for their sake.

The schedule and formats from MLB, as it is now, has created the disadvantage for any team that has accomplished the feat of winning the league pennant with having swept their opponent.

Much of this has to do with [italic]conditioning[/italic] of the players' bodies. To sweep an LCS opponent 4-to-0 games. And for the other league's pennant to go all the way to Game #07 (as was the case in 2006, 2007, and now 2012) means the grace period between the last LCS game and the first of the World Series means the team that went the max will be conditioned to actual game-playing. And it also means that a team that swept their LCS to advance to the World Series had to wait the better part of a week before Game #01 of the Fall Classic. (No team manager can change that. And no exhibition game, which is not major league, can deflect that.)

Suggestion I have is to delay the World Series Game #01 to a minimum of seven days from the last played LCS game. That is, if MLB just has to stick with the best-of-7 LCS format with the LCS.

by Anonymousreply 11410/26/2012

I have figured you out, r112/r114. You are Jim Leyland and you are making an argument in advance for why it's looking like your team is headed to a World Series defeat the same way it did under your management in 2006. It must be a little bit of deja vu considering the circumstances.

You speak of conditioning of the players. I'm with you on that, yet you dismiss my suggestion of playing real games against another team during the break as being equivalent to expo games. And that seems to be about the level that you had your boys playing at them the past week - at least from what I saw on the news coverage.

But my argument is that those games don't have to be exhibition level with minimum-level effort exerted by the players. They don't have to be just going through the motions. I've played the game and I am aware of the difference. It's on the manager to maintain the spirit of the contest among the players.

My opinion is if they can't get creative with ways to keep their players skilled sharpened after a 6-day break, then they deserve a loss.

Enjoy the off-season Mr. Leyland. At least you secured your job by getting to the Series - it was really looking pretty iffy for you just about two months ago.

by Anonymousreply 11510/26/2012

Baseball is so b-o-r-i-n-g but I admit I'm not much into sports. I can't understand the fanatics who can't miss one game and live and breathe it. And don't even get me started on those countries where soccer is seen as some life or death competition. I had one soccer fan try and convince me it's "the game of life" and "the beautiful game".

Pardon me but huh?

by Anonymousreply 11610/26/2012

You did mention believing best-of-7 is ideal for LCS. Problem: You didn't say increase the World Series to a best-of-9 format.

Having LCS and World Series under same their current best-of-7 format says they're of equal importance.

Prior to current system, they were not. It was best-of-5 for LCS and best-of-7 for World Series.

In fact, since 1969, the system has not been pure.

There is no perfect way. That doesn't mean one should refrain from striving for improvement. And it would be arrogant to dismiss what I've stated with the historical pattern now established with LCS sweeps [mentioned @ R112].

Again, I suggest -- with the current format retained -- that any team poised to sweep their opponent in a LCS should delay their pennant victory until at least Game #06. (Established patterns should not be ignored. And MLB pays plenty attention to the statistics.)

by Anonymousreply 11710/26/2012

Awesome link, V! @r105. That made my day. Thanks.

Played catcher in little league and high school for ten years. I did not think that baseball and homosexuality were compatible, so I followed my cock and my intellect -- instead of following the ball to a college baseball scholarship at Stanford. I don't regret that decision. And I wasn't going to be that great (at baseball), anyway.

Today, things are a bit different. But playing is still all-consuming. Still would choose the path I went on.

Yes, I am a proud power bottom.

by Anonymousreply 11810/26/2012

r112, That's another point and I don't have as strong a feeling on it.

But I don't see the need to have a longer series of games for the World Series than for the league championships. I understand your argument about giving the World Series added 'weight' (for lack of a better word), but I don't see that as necessary so long as a fair (again, for lack of a better word) amount of games is played for each to eliminate the fluke factor.

I have to say, I've enjoyed this discussion overall and it's been at a quality level not normally experienced here on the DL.

The only thing that you say that makes me question your sincerity (and perhaps sanity) is the suggestion that a team about to complete a series sweep throw a game so that they ensure playing more. Talk about risky! Even with the stats on previous failures by teams in a similar situation, try selling that idea to the guys in the locker room.

by Anonymousreply 11910/26/2012

An extended MLB season will never happen due to the overlap with Football. Big Sports Money knows that they're already sucking every penny out of us addicted fans.

by Anonymousreply 12010/26/2012

Love you r118. I wish I could be there with you all when you celebrate the Giants eventual victory. Too bad it looks like it might be completed with your boys on the road.

How impressive that you would have had a Stanford scholarship. Wow. And those are some handsome boys that play college ball, especially at SU.

But you probably made a wise decision to steer yourself into a different career. Unless you are a top level talent, the life of a pro ball player has got to be a lot of work for little payoff.

However, there are plenty of days when I wish I had a job where I played a game outdoors rather than the one I have.

How appropriate that you were a catcher...haha. You are great.

by Anonymousreply 12110/26/2012

Love you too, V!

Ended up at that rival school across the Bay where I studied Immunology when the AIDS epidemic hit. Am better in the lab than behind home plate.

Baseball is among the most complex and dramatic games/arts that I can even only partially understand. It is a needed pastime. A diversion.

My favorite vacation experiences have involved unscheduled visits to games in Japan, Puerto Rico, and Fresno!

Wouldn't it be great if a handsome player came out mid-season to the cheers of fans and colleagues? Yeah, I know it's shallow, but the dude must be hot and he would make an impact.

by Anonymousreply 12210/26/2012

R119 writes:

[quote]The only thing that you say that makes me question your sincerity (and perhaps sanity) is the suggestion that a team about to complete a series sweep throw a game so that they ensure playing more. Talk about risky! Even with the stats on previous failures by teams in a similar situation, try selling that idea to the guys in the locker room.

A manager can make "mistakes" in any given game.

by Anonymousreply 12310/26/2012

OMG, worst National Anthem performance of any I've seen in these playoffs.

Now I know that they have no skilled vocalists judging on X-Factor this season.

They should have brought back the no-name military woman that sang America The Beautiful last night - she was 10 times better than Lovato.

by Anonymousreply 12410/28/2012

My bad, I meant the military woman sang God Bless America - not America The Beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 12510/28/2012

Got a Pocket full of cute Posey!

by Anonymousreply 12610/28/2012

Congrats to San Francisco and to you Giants fans that read/post here.

What an impressive display those boys put on this October. It was a pleasure to behold.

by Anonymousreply 12710/29/2012

I want to lick Marco Scutaro like a popsicle.

by Anonymousreply 12810/29/2012

Does Melky Cabrera still get a ring and a cut of whatever extra cash all the players get?

by Anonymousreply 12910/29/2012

[bold]The Kiss of Death[/bold]

[italic]Memo to all teams who play in a League Championship Series (LCS):[/italic] Don't win your pennant in a best-of-7 sweep -- 4 games to 0 -- to advance to the World Series. Let it wait until at least the end of Game #06.

Conditioning of teams' players' bodies. That the non-sweepers were still in active postseason games mode. And, of course, the 1995 Atlanta Braves are still the only exception -- since the best-of-7 LCS format took effect in 1985 -- to sweep their LCS and go on to win the World Series. [Etc.] All the rest, listed in the following, went down in the Fall Classic no later than Game #05.

[italic]See:[/italic] Oakland Athletics (1988, 1990), Detroit Tigers (2006, 2012), and Colorado Rockies (2007).

by Anonymousreply 13010/29/2012

R112/130 is the kind of sports nut with whom you never want to be trapped in a room; just a stream of garbled stats and trivia, the most tedious aspects of athletics.

by Anonymousreply 13110/29/2012

"Huge dick" face!

by Anonymousreply 13210/29/2012

busy smelling all the yummy jock straps in the locker room

by Anonymousreply 13310/29/2012

You must be a Republican! _______________________________________________

[bold]The LCS Sweeps:[/bold]

1988: Oakland Athletics [4] swept Boston Red Sox [0] in ALCS. In the NLCS, the pennant wasn't won until Game #07, with Los Angles Dodgers [4] over New York Mets [3].

1990: Oakland Athletics [4] swept Boston Red Sox [0] in ALCS. In the NLCS, the pennant wasn't won until Game #06, with Cincinnati Reds [4] over Pittsburgh Pirates [2].

1995: Atlanta Braves [4] swept Cincinnati Reds [0] in NLCS. In the ALCS, the pennant wasn't won until Game #06, with Cleveland Indians [4] over Seattle Mariners [2].

2006: Detroit Tigers [4] swept Oakland Athletics [0] in ALCS. In the NLCS, the pennant wasn't won until Game #07, with St. Louis Cardinals [4] over New York Mets [3].

2007: Colorado Rockies [4] swept Arizona Diamondback [0] in NLCS. In the ALCS, the pennant wasn't won until Game #07, with Boston Red Sox [4] over Cleveland Indians [3].

2012: Detroit Tigers [4] swept New York Yankees [0] in ALCS. In the NLCS, the pennant wasn't won until Game #07, with San Francisco Giants [4] over St. Louis Cardinals [3].

[bold]The Dates and the Days Off:[/bold]

1988: Oakland Athletics won ALCS on 10.09.1988. Los Angeles Dodgers won NLCS on 10.12.1988. Game #01 of the World Series was 10.15.1988. [Days off before World Series Game #01: Oakland, 5; Los Angeles, 2.]

1990: Oakland Athletics won ALCS on 10.10.1990. Cincinnati Reds won NLCS on 10.12.1990. Game #01 of the World Series was 10.16.1990. [Days off before World Series Game #01: Oakland, 5; Cincinnati, 3.]

1995: Atlanta Braves won NLCS on 10.14.1995. Cleveland Indians won ALCS on 10.17.1995. Game #01 of the World Series was 10.21.1995. [Days off before World Series Game #01: Atlanta, 6; Cleveland, 3.]

2006: Detroit Tigers won ALCS on 10.14.2006. St. Louis Cardinals won NLCS on 10.19.2006. Game #01 of the World Series was 10.21.2006. [Days off before World Series Game #01: Detroit, 6; St. Louis, 1.]

2007: Colorado Rockies won NLCS on 10.15.2007. Boston Red Sox won ALCS on 10.21.2007. Game #01 of the World Series was 10.24.2007. [Days off before World Series Game #01: Colorado, 8; Boston, 2.]

2012: Detroit Tigers won ALCS on 10.18.2012. San Francisco Giants won NLCS on 10.22.2012. Game #01 of the World Series was 10.24.2012. [Days off before World Series Game #01: Detroit: 5; San Francisco, 1.]

[bold]World Series Results:[/bold]

1988: Los Angeles Dodgers [4] won over Oakland Athletics [1] with Game #05.

1990: Cincinnati Reds [4] swept Oakland Athetics [0] with Game #04.

1995: Atlanta Braves [4] won over Cleveland Indians [2] with Game #06.

2006: St. Louis Cardinals [4] won over Detroit Tigers [1] with Game #05.

2007: Boston Red Sox [4] swept Colorado Rockies [0] with Game #04.

2012: San Francisco Giants [4] swept Detroit Tigers [0] with Game #04.

by Anonymousreply 13410/29/2012

"[R131], You must be a Republican!"

No, but you've once again proven that you're an idiot in anything but spewing tedious sports trivia. Asberger's/OCD much?

by Anonymousreply 13510/29/2012

Fact are painful, R135.

And, in your case, reading must be even more difficult.

[italic]For those who continue to follow future World Series:[/italic] If a league's pennant winner sweeps their opponent, bet on the opposing league's pennant winner to win the World Series.

by Anonymousreply 13610/29/2012

"Fact are painful,"

And grammar are, too!

by Anonymousreply 13710/29/2012

That was a [italic]typo[/italic], R137.

I meant "facts."

Don't pretend you weren't aware.

by Anonymousreply 13810/29/2012

Hear hear, R112!

Anyone who is more than just a cursory fan of baseball would know that stats (statistics) are actually one of the absolute glories of the game.

For some strange reason, statistical analysis of baseball reveals incredible symmetries and mathematical probabilities that, arcane as they may be, can be used to make real-world predictions and reveal deeper resonances that are indescribably elegant and illuminating. 'Moneyball', the book, the movie and the real-life events they portray were a direct result of such high-falutin' stat. analysis.

There is a mathematical poetry underpinning baseball that defies explanation but nevertheless is real and useful.

You'll scoff but only a hard-core baseball fan could possibly understand.

P.S: Fuckin' A, Giants - well played! Sorry Detroit - you deserved better but you faced a team who peaked at the perfect time.

P.P.S: Don't bother - I'll MARY myself!

by Anonymousreply 13910/29/2012

'Tim Lincecum’s funny press conference moment.' It's actually not that funny, but it's crazy how much he is my type in this video.

by Anonymousreply 14010/29/2012

Thank you, r131 and r139.

Have been a local, lifelong Giants fan and played in Little League for six years (yes, mostly played catcher and today I'm a Power Bottom).

The complexity, drama, and players' personal theatrics are what make this sport compelling --and addictive to me.

I can't follow most of the statistics, either. But they don't bore me. My ignorance doesn't lessen my ability to appreciate the game as a diversion from the guaranteed horrors of life on this planet!

by Anonymousreply 14110/29/2012

I hate, hate, hate the end of baseball season each year.

After the Halloween Day victory parade, the winter meetings in December are pretty much the only thing to look forward to until spring training.

Athough nothing will match the Pujols drama of last year, it will be interesting to see which teams end up jostling for the big names like Josh Hamilton, Melky Cabrera, and Zack Greinke.

by Anonymousreply 14210/29/2012

Yes, and stat addicts are what makes it nauseating for others.

It's nice that you have something harmless to obsess about. But 90% of the people here, and in the gay world, either just play sports for the cameraderie, the athleticism and the fun, not to obsessively spew data.

You're most probably not an actual participant, since your entire life seems to be filled with nerdtastic numerical trivia.

"Don't pretend you weren't aware."

Don't tell me what to pretend, you crashing bore.

by Anonymousreply 14310/29/2012

Hopefully the doping Melky Cabrera will leave the Giants by next season. We don't need him after all the Barry Bonds controversy, no matter how good he may be.

by Anonymousreply 14410/29/2012

[bold]R143[/bold] writes:

[quote]"Don't pretend you weren't aware."

I addressed R137, not you.

I can see why you, R143, have a hard time with what you loosely call "stat addicts," and why you find them "nauseating."

You're stupid.

And you are one pointless asshole.

by Anonymousreply 14510/29/2012

Buster looking cute

by Anonymousreply 14610/29/2012

And you're clearly an obsessed obnoxious lonely sports addict, 112, aka thread hog.

by Anonymousreply 14710/29/2012

You're jealous.

by Anonymousreply 14810/30/2012

Buster Posey is so GD cute.

by Anonymousreply 14910/30/2012

Thank you Giants for free Taco Bell!!!

Is that free taco deal today or tomorrow?

by Anonymousreply 15010/30/2012

Today, r150, from 2-6p. A free Doritos Locos delivered by an Angel (Pagan). Hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 15110/30/2012

I will gladly sample Pagan's taco.

by Anonymousreply 15210/30/2012

Good news about two nice guys in the game. David Price and R.A. Dickey both won their respective Cy Young awards today.

Attached is a decent article explaining how what the Marlins are doing is despicable both to baseball and to the taxpayers of Miami. But apparently you are given a lot of freedom when you are sucking Bud Selig's cock.

by Anonymousreply 15311/14/2012

Wrong link at r153 - sorry about that. The correct one is attached here.

Fantastic news about Buster Posey winning the NL MVP today. So well deserved and there can't be a nicer guy to win it.

I'm torn about Cabrera winning the AL award. Winning the Triple Crown is ridiculously impressive, but I'm a real fan of how dynamic Mike Trout is as a fielder. If Trout had played a full season, who knows if Cabrera would have won the Triple Crown? But Trout has a lot of years ahead of him so he'll have his chance again.

by Anonymousreply 15411/15/2012

[bold]NATIONAL LEAGUE[/bold] • MVP: Buster Posey, [italic]San Francisco Giants[/italic] • CY YOUNG: R.A. Dickey, [italic]New York Mets[/italic] • ROOKIE OF THE YEAR: Bryce Harper, [italic]Washington Nationals[/italic] • MANAGER OF THE YEAR: Davey Johnson, [italic]Washington Nationals[/italic]

[bold]AMERICAN LEAGUE[/bold] • MVP: Miguel Cabrera, [italic]Detroit Tigers[/italic] • CY YOUNG: David Price, [italic]Tampa Bay Rays[/italic] • ROOKIE OF THE YEAR: Mike Trout, [italic]Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim[/italic] (Unanimous!) • MANAGER OF THE YEAR: Bob Melvin, [italic]Oakland Athletics[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 15511/16/2012

r154, not giving the MVP to the first guy to win the Triple Crown since '67, the same guy who led his team to the playoffs & a subsequent AL Pennant would have been a gross injustice. Trout had a phenomenal season & deserved RotY, but Cabrera deserved MVP.

Also really happy for Posey. The guy is the ultimate team player. A real pro's pro. And it doesn't hurt he's cute as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 15611/16/2012

[/bold] ...

by Anonymousreply 15711/16/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!