Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Best Actress Oscar 2013

Very early predictions since almost all of these movies have not been seen yet. However, it's probable that the top 5 will be on this list.

Keira Knightley - "Anna Karenina"

Viola Davis - "Won't Back Down"

Helen Hunt - "The Surrogate"

Sandra Bullock - "Gravity"

Carey Mulligan - "The Great Gatsby"

Mary Elizabeth Winstead - "Smashed"

Rachel McAdams - "Untitled Terrence Malick Project"

Meryl Streep - "Great Hope Springs"

Kristin Wiig - "Imogene"

Andrea Riseborough - "Shadow Dancer"

by Anonymousreply 22312/01/2012

no. just no.

by Anonymousreply 203/02/2012

Keira Knightley is awful. Will she be doing a Russian accent for Anna Karenina?

by Anonymousreply 303/02/2012

When I saw that Helen Hunt is in a new movie and is being talked about already for an Oscar, I started looking forward to the collective DL meltdown.

by Anonymousreply 403/02/2012

Keira didn't do one in Dr. Zhivago.

by Anonymousreply 503/02/2012

Viola Davis is a lock - she will win the Oscar she should have won Sunday night. It is the way the Academy works.

by Anonymousreply 603/02/2012

I just want to know if any good movies will be in the theatres before December 2013.

by Anonymousreply 703/02/2012

Helen Hunt's movie got the most buzz at Sundance, both her and John Hawkes were said to be Oscar worthy.

by Anonymousreply 803/02/2012

Helen Hunt vs. Meryl Streep?

DL will EXPLODE.

by Anonymousreply 903/02/2012

Hope meryl wins again to drive you fuckers up the wall who hate her!

by Anonymousreply 1003/02/2012

If Patty Duke would have gotten the role of Mary in the Lincoln pic, then Patty's name would be there among the contenders!

by Anonymousreply 1103/02/2012

Me!!

by Anonymousreply 1203/02/2012

R6 for the win. The Oscar is given to someone who should have won the year before.

In the rare instances where such a person does not exist, the Oscar is given to the most entitled of the nominees. It has little or nothing to do with the performance for which the actress has been nominated.

This year, for instance, Meryl Streep was entitled because she has been acting for a very long time and has not been awarded often enough.

by Anonymousreply 1303/02/2012

Where is that poster who always boasts about correctly picking the Best Actress race six months prior to the awards for 15 years in a row?

(He picked Viola this year!! To quote Shemar Moore THE STREAK IS OVER!!!)

by Anonymousreply 1403/03/2012

I like that Michell Williams is not on that list.

That bitch bores me, She is a horrible horrible actress.

Go away already

by Anonymousreply 1503/03/2012

To date, not one African-America who has been nominated for the best-actress Oscar has returned with another nomination in that category.

Let's see that change!

by Anonymousreply 1603/03/2012

To date, not one African-American who has been nominated for the best-actress Oscar has returned with another nomination in that category.

Let's see that change!

by Anonymousreply 1703/03/2012

OP, how could you leave out Marion Cotillard for the still untitled James Gray movie which is shooting now, co-starring Joaquin Phoenix and Jeremy Renner? Hey, she's playing a hooker in fhis one!

by Anonymousreply 1803/03/2012

yes. Bring back Diana Ross!

by Anonymousreply 1903/03/2012

Viola's movie "Ender's Game" sounds kind of cool on paper. Is she a lead in it?

by Anonymousreply 2003/03/2012

Now that R11 reminded us, why isn't Sally Field on your list?

by Anonymousreply 2103/03/2012

Sally will probably be supporting, no?

by Anonymousreply 2203/03/2012

Nobody knows how large Sally's role is, so she could show up in either Supporting or Lead, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 2303/03/2012

To date, not one African-American who has been nominated for the best-actress Oscar has returned with another nomination in that category.

Let's see that change!

by Anonymousreply 2503/03/2012

OP, why did you lead out Laura Linney for "Hyde Park on Hudson," which is listed as an almost certain nomination at the site you linked to?

by Anonymousreply 2603/03/2012

I would think Olivia Williams as Eleanor Roosevelt would be much more likely among the cast from "Hyde Park on Hudson" to be up for BSA than Olivia Colman, who will be playing Queen Elizabeth, r24.

by Anonymousreply 2703/03/2012

Come on - a hooker with a prosthetic foot is a done deal.

by Anonymousreply 2803/03/2012

[quote]The girl from Dawson's Creek has no interesting projects coming up. In any case, she peaked with the Marilyn film, and will never be nominated again.

I hope you enjoy disappointment.

An oversight on my part, R26. My apologies to Miss Linney. And her father.

by Anonymousreply 2903/03/2012

r25 you can drop that silliness now.

The US also has a black president, which was deemed unthinkable not too long ago.

Davis has several films coming up, she's arrived, she will get nominated again, and likely win at some point.

Next.

by Anonymousreply 3003/03/2012

[quote]Come on - a hooker with a prosthetic foot is a done deal.

They're making a movie about my life?!?!?

by Anonymousreply 3103/03/2012

I am, r27.

English Queens get nominated regularly, as you probably know. Linney will get the 'American nom' for this film (in lead), Colman the 'British' one (supporting).

Also, Olivia Colman was an early favorite this year, for 'Tyrannosaur'. There is still goodwill left, and it will translate into a nomination for her.

by Anonymousreply 3203/03/2012

Oh, and Meryl is a hardcore fan of Olivia Colman's talent, who worked with her on The Iron Lady.

If Meryl is backing her, you know this means good things for Oliva.

by Anonymousreply 3303/03/2012

Streep Troll, is this just like when you told us confidently several times in the last few weeks that the tide had absolutely turned against Christopher Plummer and Max von Sydow was certain of getting the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor?

by Anonymousreply 3503/03/2012

The Streep Troll is nuts.

Streep fatigue has definitely set in. That's why so many critics have come out of the woodwork and admitted they think she's overrated.

It's good that she won this year, because it finally caused the naysayers to be more vocal about their dislike of her affected acting style. I've read at least four or five anti-Meryl pieces since the Oscar ceremony. A lot of people are definitely tired of the annual suck-up to Streep and for good reason.

She will not win again, at least not for some time.

Yet another anti-Meryl piece, this one's the harshest yet. Interesting how fast the consensus has grown that she's never starred in a masterpiece and that she always plays it safe in her choice of material:

by Anonymousreply 3603/03/2012

r35, that was only a side-project of mine.

Like Harvey Weinstein, I needed to choose which campaign to truly focus on, and of course it had to be Meryl's.

I take no responsibility for MVS's loss, sorry.

In any case, I was one of the few people on DL who insisted Meryl was going to win. I knew she would, and therefore I'm well-placed to make predictions about 2013 as well.

Deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 3703/03/2012

r36 = another hater who is self-combusting.

The naysayers are SEXISTS, like you.

There was none of this talk when Jack Nicholson, a much lesser talent than Meryl, won his third Oscar.

People can't deal with a woman being this successful, so they attempt to tear them down.

Luckily her sheer talent will prevail, and will ensure that she'll get nominated as soon as NEXT YEAR.

Watch!

by Anonymousreply 3803/03/2012

[quote]English Queens get nominated regularly, as you probably know.

They frequently get nominated, but not by any means invariably. Neither Vanessa Redgrave (Queen Elizabeth I in "Anonymous") nor Margaret Tyzack (Queen Mary in "W.E.") was nominated this year. Nor was Claire Bloom (Queen Mary in "The King's Speech") last year, nor were Emily Blunt (Queen Victoria in "The Young Victoria") nor Juliet Stevenson (Queen Adelaide in "The Young Victoria") also in that year.

I think this is just more of your magical thinking, as with your erroneous Max von Sydow predictions. You [bold]LIKE[/bold] Olivia Colman as an actress, so you're making fake reasons for why she'll be nominated.

by Anonymousreply 3903/03/2012

Streep Troll, that's complete bullshit you're spouting at r37. You were all over that "Christopher Plummer vs. Max von Sydow" thread like stink on shit, proclaiming up, down, and sideways that Von Sydow was going to win.

People can look for themselves--here's the link to the thread.

by Anonymousreply 4003/03/2012

I thought the fucking Streep troll left until next awards season?

Face it, Streep troll, Streep sucks, sucks, SUCKS!!!

by Anonymousreply 4103/03/2012

[quote]Meryl Streep - "Great Hope Springs" A week ago, we'd have pegged this much higher, but then Sunday night came, and for the first time in thirty years, Meryl Streep won an Oscar. While that doesn't rule out the idea of an eighteenth nomination this year, there's no longer the same overdue factor to push that along, and a principally commercial film like David Frankel's comedy "Great Hope Springs" may play more like "It's Complicated" than "Doubt." That being said, only a fool would bet against Meryl entirely.

This doesn't sound very promising.

by Anonymousreply 4303/03/2012

Jesus, OP.

A whole year of this shit?

Go the fuck away.

by Anonymousreply 4403/03/2012

Oh, shut up already with the "but you insisted Max Von Sydow would win over Christopher Plummer" shit. I bet it was incredibly close, though, you like what I did there?

I actually don't think MS will be nominated for an Oscar for GREAT HOPE SPRINGS from all I've heard about it so far. It's apparently highly enjoyable but lightweight. She's a lock for a Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Comedy/Musical, though. And her main competition for it will be Anne Hathaway in LES MISERABLES, and all because of that one fucking song.

by Anonymousreply 4503/03/2012

"Side project"??? You have well over FORTY posts in just that single thread on Christopher Plummer and Max von Sydow, Meryl Streep Troll. I just went and counted.

Well over FORTY.

by Anonymousreply 4603/03/2012

R38, you're full of shit or you have amnesia.

Lots of people thought Nicholson's third Oscar was undeserved. Lots of people have complained that Nicholson has turned into a self-parody and hasn't given a decent performance in a long time. Besides, the Academy has obviously gotten tired of his schtick and hasn't nominated him for anything in years. They even snubbed him for THE DEPARTED, which won Best Picture. In the old days he'd have been a surefire nominee for that.

And I'm not self-combusting at all. In retrospect I'm glad Streep won. None of these anti-Streep pieces would've been published if she'd lost again. After she won it seemed the opportune moment for a lot of Streep's detractors to publish their dissenting opinions. I'd much rather she won so I can read these well-argued takedowns than she lost and have these critics stay silent.

by Anonymousreply 4803/03/2012

Ah, now we're hearing from Lynn "Marion Cotillard is an absolute LOCK for 'Nine'!!!" Stairmaster.

Another tried-and-true Oscar predictions expert.

by Anonymousreply 5003/03/2012

Arguing with the Meryl Streep Troll is like arguing with an Irish Setter.

by Anonymousreply 5203/03/2012

I was right about Meryl, though, wasn't I, bitch?

by Anonymousreply 5303/03/2012

By the way, Streep Troll, if anyone is sexist on this thread it's you.

You're the one who tears down all these other actresses who are genuinely great actresses. You dismiss their talents, one by one. To believe in the greatness of only one actress, to constantly slight the achievement of all others, now THAT's sexist.

I believe that Helen Mirren, Jessica Lange, Sigourney Weaver, and Glenn Close are all great actresses, and Maggie Smith, Vanessa Redgrave, Bette Davis, Katharine Hepburn, whereas you seem to think Streep is the One and Only.

by Anonymousreply 5403/03/2012

[quote]I was right about Meryl, though, wasn't I, bitch?

But not about Meryl Cotillard. And you predicted it OVER and OVER and OVER again, in THREAD after THREAD after THREAD.

by Anonymousreply 5503/03/2012

Somebody asked the Meryl Streep troll if she had a job since she posts morning, noon and fucking night.

No answer...

by Anonymousreply 5603/03/2012

[quote]I was right about Meryl, though, wasn't I, bitch?

The fact that you thought Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close was some great piece of film making, going so far as to say not only would Bullock be nominated, but that stupid fucking kid as well, lost all your credibility.

Not only were you wrong, EL&IC was one of the most reviled movies of the year.

by Anonymousreply 5803/03/2012

r55, who is Meryl Cotillard?

Clam down, hon.

by Anonymousreply 5903/03/2012

r56, I do not post morning, noon and night. And I do have a job.

Any other questions?

by Anonymousreply 6003/03/2012

[quote]Any other questions?

Yes: why does your pussy stink so much?

by Anonymousreply 6103/03/2012

I'm a pedophile!

by Anonymousreply 6203/03/2012

"She's a lock for a Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Comedy/Musical, though. And her main competition for it will be Anne Hathaway in LES MISERABLES, and all because of that one fucking song."

Fantine is not a lead role so I don't think she'd be nominated for Best Actress. She's only in the first quarter of the story.

by Anonymousreply 6303/03/2012

That's true, R63, but Hathaway is a big star and these are the Golden Globes we're talking about. The ones where Pia Zadora won over Meryl Streep for Best Newcomer.

Hathaway will be probably be up for a Best Supporting Actress Oscar but will be up for Best Actress in a Comedy or Musical.

by Anonymousreply 6403/03/2012

R58, you hate EL&IC and others did, too, but, uhhh, it was still nominated for Best Picture.

by Anonymousreply 6503/03/2012

Let's see that change!

by Anonymousreply 6603/03/2012

R64 Pia never won over meryl for best newcomer! meryl in fact never won that award.

by Anonymousreply 6703/03/2012

[quote]English Queens get nominated regularly, as you probably know

then where's my fucking nomination?

by Anonymousreply 6803/03/2012

In 1984, Pia Zadora received a nomination for a Grammy Award for Best Female Rock Vocal Performance for the song "Rock It Out".

by Anonymousreply 6903/03/2012

The people that Pia Zadora beat in the Best New Star category were: Kathleen Turner, Elizabeth McGovern, Rachel Ward, Howard E Rollings Jr and Craig Wasson

by Anonymousreply 7003/03/2012

Oh my God, who GIVES a fuck? The fucking Oscars have just been given out. And the OP wants to speculate on who's going to win in 2013? Again I ask, why should anybody give a flying fuck? All that Oscar shit goes on for, I would guess, about nine months out of the year. ENOUGH already! I'm sick to death of it!

by Anonymousreply 7103/03/2012

Meryl is indeed in a league of her own, Troll, in the hammy overacting sweepstakes.

As the latest Meryl smackdown pointed out, she creates cyborgs and replicants, not characters.

by Anonymousreply 7203/03/2012

Let's see that change!

by Anonymousreply 7303/03/2012

Also, Streep could never in a million years deliver some of the best performances of these other actresses. They've all delivered performances well beyond the abilities of your precious Streep. The idea of Streep as Jane Tennison in PRIME SUSPECT, for example, is laughable. Mirren created an arc for that character over the various installments that puts Streep's vaunted abilities in the doghouse. She'd have turned it into caricature even worse than the Maria Bello version.

Even Glenn Close can do things Streep can't. Even in a pulpy B-movie like FATAL ATTRACTION, she does things beyond Streep's ken. Nobody would ever be scared of Alex Forrest with Streep in the part. For the movie to work on audiences, they had to believe this woman was crazy. When she goes into a frenzy with the knife at the end, the audience isn't standing back and applauding from the a distance like they do with Streep, noting how polished her accent is. They're just caught up in the suspense. Streep would be the world's worst actress for a thriller: she completely failed to generate any genuine menace or suspense in THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE, for example.

Streep *is* in a league of her own; but not in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 7403/03/2012

Streep couldn't do Orlando or I Am Love

by Anonymousreply 7503/03/2012

or Tilda's "Julia"

by Anonymousreply 7603/03/2012

I really want to see what they do with The Master and how close they portray it to Scientology.

by Anonymousreply 7703/03/2012

Streep would have been fantastic in DANGEROUS LIAISONS. She wouldn't have been right for THE WORLD ACCORDING TO GARP or THE BIG CHILL. Meryl has only played one genuine villainess and that was in THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE. She's played a comic villainess a number of times.

by Anonymousreply 7803/03/2012

God, I do so wish the Streep Troll (TM) would disappear into a vat of the collected urine of Viola Davis, Kate Winslet, Marion Cotillard and Sandra Bullock.

by Anonymousreply 7903/03/2012

The Streep troll is just embarrassing herself at this point.

Next.

by Anonymousreply 8203/04/2012

I'm a pedophile!

by Anonymousreply 8303/04/2012

I'm not the AMPAS voter, but are you REALLY the best person to be bitching at anybody about their shitty Oscar predictions, R84?

by Anonymousreply 8503/04/2012

My grandpa used to eat a chili dog and sit on my face. YUMMMMMMMM

by Anonymousreply 8603/04/2012

Has any African-American actress, who had been nominated for the best-actress Oscar, returned the next year with another nomination in that category?

by Anonymousreply 8903/04/2012

Saoirse Ronan - Byzantium, early word is it's Jordan's best work since Mona Lisa.

Also expect Gemma Arterton to get best supporting, or it could be the other way round, but I think Ronan has the lead role.

by Anonymousreply 9003/04/2012

[quote]Oh, and Meryl has 3 Oscars. 3!

Is that all?

p.s. -- Click, click, click...

by Anonymousreply 9203/04/2012

"The Silver Linings Playbook" - I'm guessing the Weinsteins will be pushing DL fav Bradley Cooper for Lead and Jennifer Lawrence for Lead Actress.

by Anonymousreply 9403/04/2012

Re the returning black nominee question: There aren't enough good movies starring black people. And there aren't enough movies where they are just characters and the whole movie is not about race.

But then, they are making less intelligent movies, period. When they make more quality films it will be better for everyone - especially the audience.

by Anonymousreply 9503/04/2012

Well, she'll have to win THREE more (all of which will have to be Best Actress), not just two more, to best me, since only two of hers (how pitiful!) are for Best Actress.

All FOUR of mine were for Best Actress.

So the score card thus far:

KH: 4 Best Actress

MS: 2 Best Actress; 1 Supporting Actress (hardly counts)

p.s.--Click, click, click...

by Anonymousreply 9603/04/2012

Hah, R85, I sure did get the biggie right last Sunday, didn't I, snookums? Kisses...

by Anonymousreply 9703/04/2012

Maybe they can do a big screen re-make of "Hazel" and cast Viola Davis in the title role.

by Anonymousreply 9803/04/2012

[quote]Hah, [R85], I sure did get the biggie right last Sunday, didn't I, snookums? Kisses...

You sure as hell didn't three years ago when you kept telling us in so many different threads it was going to Marion Cotillard in NINE. In the end, she didn't even get [italic]nominated![/italic]

Were I you, I would be so embarrassed I never would dare show my face here again.

by Anonymousreply 9903/04/2012

Please, it took Streep 30 years to get her third, obviously the Academy doesn't see the need to give her an award every time she takes a shit. She's going to have to wait a good long while before she's getting another one.

And that's not hating on Meryl, that's just living in reality.

by Anonymousreply 10103/04/2012

I'm a pedophile!

by Anonymousreply 10203/04/2012

Art is in the eye of the beholder. If you dont like meryl you can watch hundreds of other actors. I love her and after 17 nominations she should have at the very least 3 wins. And i am hoping she wins some more too. But to try to convince everyone else that she is the best actress ever is futile. Isnt it enough that she is one of the most respected actors in the biz, has the career that most actors in their 60s would die for, has 3 oscars and hopefully we can enjoy her work for years to come. But i dont expect everyone to feel that way. Oscars are a week old. Time to move on.

by Anonymousreply 10403/04/2012

I wish I could rim Meryl's shit covered asshole!

by Anonymousreply 10503/04/2012

Hey I'm Jill the retard from the Jill gets her period video, does anyone know how I can get a hold of Meryl's used tampons! I'd love to try them on and eat them!

by Anonymousreply 10703/04/2012

Ridiculous argument. This is a thread for 2013 Best Actress, which is a long shot for Streep.

Many interesting names in this thread and the Streep troll has to hijack it again. She's like an autism patient with a one track mind. Or maybe a stalker.

by Anonymousreply 10803/04/2012

[quote]it's simple: the Meryl bashing on DL won't stop. So why should I?

Who the fuck cares?

by Anonymousreply 11103/04/2012

R106 I think at this point a week after she won there are just posting shit to piss you off. Isnt enough that you were right? lol The more you try to "get them to see" the more they are gonna argue right back. You are not gonna have the last word. I agree with you totally about meryl. We were both right. But im not gonna go back and forth endlessly with other posters.

by Anonymousreply 11203/04/2012

If Meryl had diarrhea I would eat it.

by Anonymousreply 11403/04/2012

No….more….Meryl…..EVER!

What's Meryl Streep doing….in THIS list?

by Anonymousreply 11603/04/2012

Meryl's next film role after she finishes August Osage County.

by Anonymousreply 11703/04/2012

Hepburn won 4 lead Oscars in 12 nominations. It took Streep 17 nominations to finally score 2 1/2.

by Anonymousreply 11803/04/2012

Best actress should be between Tom Cruise and John Travolta, for continuing to pretend that they're straight. Or that anyone gives a shit.

by Anonymousreply 11903/04/2012

Streep Troll, are you really that dim that you can't see how you're fomenting the Streep hatred yourself? Give it a rest, and Streep hatred will die out.

by Anonymousreply 12003/04/2012

Make fun of the Meryl Streep troll (tm) all you want, but thank goodness it wasn't Michelle Williams winning the Oscar last week!

by Anonymousreply 12103/04/2012

The guy who wrote the article OP linked actually picked his guess at the five most likely noms (end of the article):

Best Actress

Sandra Bullock - "Gravity"

Viola Davis - "Won't Back Down"

Helen Hunt - "The Surrogate"

Keira Knightley - "Anna Karenina

Laura Linney - "Hyde Park On Hudson"

by Anonymousreply 12303/04/2012

Add Judi Dench to the list, and Maggie Smith for supporting, of "The Exotic Marigold Hotel" turns out to be good. And Judi has that whole "going blind" sympathy thing going for her.

And Kristen Wiig CANNOT act to save her life - that she would be on a list is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 12603/04/2012

R118 How can a supporting oscar be half? It is the same oscar. And some winning supporting performances have been better than some lead winning ones i have seen.

by Anonymousreply 12803/04/2012

Streep T, you're so obvious. You LOVE all of this. If the Streep hatred stopped, you wouldn't know what to do with yourself.

Did you fall and hit your head about six months ago? I don't remember you appearing before Oscar season. What kind of terrible trauma did you endure to create this persona?

And it's not even a week after the Oscars. Soon, someone big will die, some big tragedy will happen, the Rethuglicans will pick a leader, the real campaign will start - and Streep will be forgotten.

Will you kill yourself in despair then?

by Anonymousreply 13003/04/2012

I want Mamie G. to fuck me with her nose!

by Anonymousreply 13103/04/2012

DL Fave Helen Hunt will win the Oscar in 2013.

by Anonymousreply 13203/04/2012

Marilyn Hack is a shoo-in for "Home for Purim".

by Anonymousreply 13403/04/2012

I want Mary Elizabeth Winstead to get it, just because she was great in Scott Pilgrim.

by Anonymousreply 13603/04/2012

You're a fool, Streep Troll. If you moved on, so would the hatred. Your claims of "Oh, I was gone for two days" mean nothing because it was TWO DAYS. Give it a couple of weeks, and it will all disappear. You're making it happen yourself, dear, and I do believe you want it to.

And how are people who preferred Viola Davis or even Michelle Williams "sexist"?

It's just another example of you finding it impossible that everyone doesn't share your opinion, so you make up labels to explain it. They don't like Meryl? It MUST be because they're sexist!

by Anonymousreply 13803/04/2012

No, Streep Troll, I actually love Meryl, it's YOU who drives me nuts. And I bet, if Meryl ever met you in real life, she would hate you, too. You are one of the most obnoxious posters ever here.

by Anonymousreply 13903/04/2012

wow just found out Mammie G is meryl's daughter.

I had no idea

by Anonymousreply 14003/05/2012

I love The Streep troll (tm)

by Anonymousreply 14303/05/2012

Thanks, r143.

by Anonymousreply 14403/05/2012

I'M A PEDOPHILE!!!

by Anonymousreply 14503/05/2012

Oh and I want to eat the corn out of Meryl Streep's shit like I used to do for my grandpa!

by Anonymousreply 14703/05/2012

Great comeback, r147!

What a loser you are. Literally, and figuratively.

by Anonymousreply 14803/05/2012

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WOULD MERYL PLEASE SHIT IN MY MOUTH!!!!

by Anonymousreply 14903/05/2012

I'm imagining that R148 really = Meryl Streep and R147 really is Michelle Williams and it's funny as hell.

I agree with Streep Troll, Meryl knows how the wind blows as far as Hollywood politiking goes and her consistent turning up to the events and her consistent vocal support of Viola was like a permission slip for the Academy to hand the award to... Streep.

by Anonymousreply 15103/05/2012

[quote]the 'sexism' charge referred to the Jack Nicholson apologists. If a man with limited talent wins 3 Oscars, it's a-okay in the end. If a woman has the gumption of winning 3, she is torn down.

Where on DL was anybody apologizing or defending Jack Nicholson? Everybody here knows he's become a caricature of himself and hasn't delivered a good performance in YEARS.

Face it Streep troll, you like trolling for no other reason than you like the attention it gives you and if people just completely ignored you, you would go away.

And I don't even want to delve into the psychology of somebody so desperate for any kind of attention, even in the form of anonymous posters, that they'd actually start fights about somebody as completely inane as...Meryl Streep.

I know there is always the DL sterotype of the lonely queen who lives in his mother's basement, but in the case of the Streep troll, I really do think that scenerio is only too true.

by Anonymousreply 15303/05/2012

Dear GOD, R142 is a fucking loon and needs to be institutionalized already.

by Anonymousreply 15403/05/2012

I love this thread.

by Anonymousreply 15503/05/2012

I was just wondering if anyone here had an opinion of Meryl Streep.

by Anonymousreply 15603/05/2012

r153, there were several posters here (and on other Oscar threads) who claimed the backlash against Nicholson was similar to the anti-Meryl backlash we're witnessing now. And that is patently untrue.

"if people just completely ignored you, you would go away" -- you mean people like you? Why don't you just start ignoring me then?

Funny, you can't. Maybe that's because you know I've got something to say?

"somebody as completely inane as...Meryl Streep"

So inane that you keep getting involved in threads about her!

by Anonymousreply 15703/05/2012

I love Meryl Streep - and I hope the great enthusiasm shown toward the performances of these great actresses over 40 brings about more films that feature substantial female characters. I would love to see Janet McTeer in a lead role - and a great role for Viola where she doesn't have to wear an apron unless she is a welder or a chef. Considering the shit they consistently reward (Bullock, Roberts, Paltrow) Streep deserved this one several times over - and then she still had to politic to get it.

by Anonymousreply 15803/05/2012

Jack Nicholson sucks now, but in his heyday he was far from a "limited" actor. Asserting that just makes you sound silly.

by Anonymousreply 15903/05/2012

Chalk up another thread that the Meryl loon has ruined. You don't have anything to say Meryl loon, you have posted the same drivel over and over again. On top of that your comments about Viola Davis have been flat out racist. You can't scream sexism towards Meryl Streep when you have practiced it yourself about Meryl's competition and peers.

You deserve all the shit that has been heaped on you.

by Anonymousreply 16003/05/2012

You say Viola Davis was robbed - what about Bassoon Johnson?

by Anonymousreply 16203/05/2012

Another thread ruined.

Somebody lend the troll 18 bucks so she can start her own Streep thread.

This is a thread about potential nominations for 2013.

So tired of the Streep troll.

by Anonymousreply 16403/05/2012

I already told you the answer - it is going to be Helen Hunt.

by Anonymousreply 16503/05/2012

Don't do that R164, it will be 10 times worse. I might start another Best Actress thread and ask that the Meryl loon not post on it. This is about the 9th or 10th thread it has ruined with this bullshit.

Meryl loon you posted multiple times that if Davis won it would be because she was black and because of white guilt. That is racist Meryl loon. The Meryl loon is a racist and sexist not to mention mentally ill.

I have a feeling the Meryl loon has been banned from other awards forums for pulling the same shit. This is one of the few times where primetime can be a good thing.

Tell us Meryl loon, what kind of job do you have that lets you stay on the computer ALL DAY?

by Anonymousreply 16703/05/2012

r117 another role that should have went to Patty Duke.

by Anonymousreply 16903/05/2012

You don't have a sense of humor about your silly obsession, Streep Troll.

That is (quite rightly) a cardinal sin at DL.

by Anonymousreply 17003/05/2012

I have a feeling Whitney Houston may get nominated posthumously perhaps as supporting actress? But most likely in Golden Globes.

by Anonymousreply 17103/05/2012

"Meryl is different with *every* single film that she signs up for. Comparing her with Nicholson is an insult to her talent and body of work."

And yet, Nicholson has better movies in his CV than Streep. No matter how much of a joke he is now, he was once pursued by the great filmmakers: Antonioni, Polanski, Milos Forman, Kubrick, John Huston. The same can't be said for Streep. (Woody Allen, in his sole Streep collaboration, gave her a couple minutes of screentime, total.)

And Meryl is only different in every single film in a superficial way: she changes her accent and she mimics different gestures and mannerisms she picks up. But it's all superficial transformations, not deep ones.

Garbo wasn't "different in every single film" yet her best acting has a soulfulness about it that is beyond Streep's ability. Somone mentioned CAMILLE in the other thread, that's exactly what Streep can't do.

Streep has no deep eroticism to her, unlike Garbo. Streep is not genuinely frightening or disturbing in her version of THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE, unlike Lansbury in hers. Streep's "strong women" aren't as believable and rich as Mirren's "strong women" as in PRIME SUSPECT.

You also demonstrate you have no idea how the actors' branch of the Academy works. Your citations of barely seen, barely known indie movies starring the likes of Kristen Scott Thomas is apples and oranges. All Streep's noms are for mainstream studio releases. That's why she always gets nominated. It's why Jonah Hill was in for MONEYBALL, he landed the "good enough" nomination, the "filler" nom, a lot of Meryl's were the last place "filler" nom as well, at least five or six of hers were.

You don't seem to grasp that many of her noms were just to flesh out the ballot, nothing more, and that with as much competition as the men usually face, she'd only be maybe a ten time nominee today, if that. This is because the only good parts for women anymore are in indie movies, foreign movies, non-mainstream movies, and those so often fall through the cracks. So AMPAS doesn't know about them and doesn't nominate them.

There's no level playing field here. I guarantee you the Academy never watched Mirren in THE COOK THE THIEF HIS WIFE AND HER LOVER when it came out. It's not like they watch most of what's out there. They didn't watch Scott Thomas' movie or most of Kidman's movies. The movie Kidman *did* win for, THE HOURS, was mainstream Oscar fare. That's not a coincidence, that's how it goes. On the rare times they nominate non-commercial movies way outside the mainstream, there was a strategic campaign waged on their behalf. Behind the scenes there was heavy-duty campaigning for Richard Jenkins in THE VISITOR or Damian Bichir this year. It's not the miraculous surprise people think. It's strategy.

If you seriously think even close to as many AMPAS voters saw Kristen Scott Thomas' movie as saw Meryl's, you're deluded. So your comparison is meaningless.

You ridiculously assume all actors are on some level playing field and AMPAS carefully weighs and measures each one against the competition. No, more often than not, they just try to fill out the ballot with as many shortcuts as they can, even if it means Jonah Hill in a movie they all saw beats out someone potentially more deserving if they have to wade through dozens of obscure movies to find that "better" performance. Hill benefitted from AMPAS laziness this year, as Streep also has many times in the past. Do you honestly think the entire actor's branch all went out and watched Maggie Smith in THE LONELY PASSION OF JUDITH HEARNE, for instance, and decided, "Nah! She's not very good. Next!!" No, what actually happened is the movie was poorly marketed, didn't make a splash with the public, and few AMPAS members saw it. If they had seen it, she'd have been nominated, but they didn't. It's that simple.

by Anonymousreply 17203/05/2012

Bullshit, r172.

Kristin Scott-Thomas, unlike Maggie Smith, was widely tipped for a nomination that year. So was Sally Hawkins, who'd won the Golden Globe.

It was a tight race, and people were disappointed Scott-Thomas did not get in. Meryl even reflected that in her SAG award speech (yes haters, Meryl WON for Doubt!)

In other words: Scott-Thomas' performance was anything but obscure, and very much part of the award season that year.

So was Nicole Kidman's work in 1995, and Barbara Hershey's performance in A World Apart in 1988. Or just last year: Charlize Theron in Young Adult.

EVERY TIME the Academy picked Meryl over other performances with buzz.

And you're telling me they did that just to fill up the fifth slot? Why not nominate Theron or Kidman to get a fifth nominee then?

The rest of your post is pure drivel, and nothing but speculation and personal opinion.

My argument stands: if Meryl was so incompetent and such an obvious ham, then she wouldn't have been nominated SEVENTEEN TIMES.

Deal!

by Anonymousreply 17303/06/2012

"Kristin Scott-Thomas, unlike Maggie Smith, was widely tipped for a nomination that year. So was Sally Hawkins, who'd won the Golden Globe."

She was widely tipped by CRITICS, who wanted her to get a nod, but not the Academy. She was not in a mainstream film. Even Oscar prognosticators on the net cheerfully admit that Oscar voters don't watch all buzzworthy movies, not by a long shot, even if you send each and every one of them the DVD.

I'm not saying anything the likes of Pete Hammond and Tom O'Neil, whose job is to keep track of the ins and outs of showbiz awards, haven't said for years. Hammond and O'Neil have even said (remember these guys informally poll AMPAS members all the time) that voters often don't even watch all the nominated movies before casting their vote. They KNOW this because the people ADMIT it to their face.

It's a FACT, Streep Troll. It's not my OPINION the Academy skips tons of movies every year, it's a fact. Sure, there's the odd voter who practices due diligence, but why do you think there's so much campaigning going on? Because they don't pay attention to your movie if you're not properly campaigned.

It's not an ACCIDENT, a strange COINCIDENCE, Kristen Scott Thomas' only nom is for THE ENGLISH PATIENT. They like mainstream movies with mainstream subject matter. That's their preference. The very rare exception, like Hilary Swank in BOYS DON'T CRY, is the exception that proves the rule.

"EVERY TIME the Academy picked Meryl over other performances with buzz."

False. There's a difference between the buzz for KST in TEP and the buzz for KST in ILYSL. It's not like the movie got any other noms and KST was left off. A bunch of critics pushing a movie means nothing in itself without an effective campaign.

For example, there was no buzz whatsoever and no push on the part of most critics to get Demian Bishir a nom for A BETTER LIFE. But the studio was on the ball, they knew they had Academy-friendly fare on their hands, they got DVD screeners out to SAG and the Academy way early, long before anyone else, and they also sent Bishir out constantly to meet n' greets, cocktail parties, private screenings. That's how it's done. A brilliant campaign, and it worked. No campaign, no nom for Bishir.

The way you can tell the difference is if the movie is widely nominated but is passed over for a performance. Like TITANIC was nominated in all these other major categories but they still snubbed DiCaprio. That's different from Scott Thomas and Maggie Smith because everyone saw the movie but they just didn't like his performance enough. DiCaprio in TITANIC is a conscious choice to take a pass. But DiCaprio in TOTAL ECLIPSE or THE BASKETBALL DIARIES not being nominated means nothing. The movies weren't even seen by enough members to make a choice to nominate or not nominate.

"My argument stands: if Meryl was so incompetent and such an obvious ham, then she wouldn't have been nominated SEVENTEEN TIMES."

Why the hell not? The actors' branch isn't simply the cream of the profession, it includes everyone from Rosie O'Donnell to Erik Estrada. Woody Allen isn't an Academy member, Meat Loaf is. (I'm not even joking.)

Emma Thompson once appeared on OPRAH and revealed her picks for that year, and she started squirming in her seat and apologizing as she quickly realized how few of the nominated films she'd seen before casting her ballot. When being quizzed she kept saying, "Oh I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I voted for Ang, I really think Ang deserves to win," for BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN. But she admitted, shame-facedly, that she hadn't seen all Ang's competitors' work! But she just likes Ang so much, he directed SENSE AND SENSIBILITY (for which she won a Screenplay Oscar), so she wanted him to win, and she voted for him.

That happens all the time. Friends vote for friends, enemies snub enemies. It's far from the pure, hohest process you naively believe in.

by Anonymousreply 17403/06/2012

"And you're telling me they did that just to fill up the fifth slot? Why not nominate Theron or Kidman to get a fifth nominee then?"

Well, for starters, Theron was in a "feel bad" movie, not a "feel good" one. For her to get nominated, it would've had to get a lot more critical backing than it got.

Just as the surprisingly bountiful box office for THE BLIND SIDE helped carry Bullock to a surprise nom, and then a win, so can very poor box office and unexpectedly harsh reviews damage an Oscar campaign before it even starts. For Theron to get in, her feel-bad non-hit of the season needed to be a lot more successful, critically and commercially, than it in fact was.

I mean, it's not like Theron got snubbed after the Academy heaped hosannahs on Todd Solondz movies like WELCOME TO THE DOLLHOUSE or HAPPINESS. That's the kind of terrain she was edging towards with her movie.

by Anonymousreply 17503/06/2012

It's too bad you were born without a sense of humor - about yourself or anything else - Streep Troll. You're so well-researched but your grim determination that everyone else is WRONG - without even being able to laugh at yourself - reduce your posts to drivel.

So much promise, so unrealized - because you can't entertain us. All you can do is rant, rant, rant the same, tired old broken record.

It's a little sad, actually. Another DL poster with a mission down the drain.

by Anonymousreply 17703/07/2012

Finally, the Academy has recognized that Meryl and Walter Brennan are equals!

by Anonymousreply 17803/07/2012

"Yes, there was. Very much so. You clearly didn't follow this season very closely."

No there wasn't. How many critics' association awards did Bichir win? None. How many was he nominated for? None. He got the SAG, Oscar, and Indie Spirit noms without a single critics' group citation. How many Oscar progs put him on their lists? Almost none (till after the SAG noms came out).

As for your list of indie noms over the past 15 years, it sounds impressive till you realize each year brings us 20 new acting noms, so 15 times 20 equals 300 noms. So a couple dozen or 30 out of 300 noms isn't very many at all.

Take a closer look, and many of those noms were multiple noms for the same movie, meaning they checked out POLLOCK for Harris and were impressed enough to nominate Harden as well.

Take a yet closer look, and every single one of those names was aggressively and shrewdly campaigned. Not a single one of those non-mainstream films got in without a whip-smart campaign behind the scenes. Not a one. Hardly analogous to the point I made about Maggie Smith, who had no campaign.

But what about those rare exceptions to the rule, like Sally Kirkland or Michael Lerner in BARTON FINK? Well, it turns out they put up their own money. When they found the studios weren't interested in promoting them and didn't think they had a shot, they paid out of their own pockets, they wanted the recognition that badly. Paying cold hard cash worked, they both scored a nom. But without putting up the cash to pay for the trade ads and the screenings, neither of those surprise noms would have happened. Maybe that's what Kristen Scott Thomas should've done. It worked for Kirkland, so why not for Thomas?

Take a yet closer look, and many of those "indies" were picked up by a major distributor, however they were financed, like The Artist getting picked up by the Weinsteins.

Look yet again and you immediately see that of all the names on your list, every last one of them LOST their category except Hilary Swank and Marcia Gay Harden. In Harden's case, she was the only obvious choice, her only rival was Kate Hudson for a weak performance with no obvious "Oscar-clip scene."

Nothing you've said in any way refutes my point, which is that seemingly out-of-nowhere noms like Bichir's aren't really out of nowhere. He had a campaign. He had a very smart, on-the-ball, shrewdly strategic campaign that started rolling out way ahead of his competitors' schedules. His campaign was one of the smartest and most aggressive of the season. Without that campaign, he could have acted his heart out onscreen but he still wouldn't have gotten anywhere in the Oscar race. In fact, if J. EDGAR had been just a little better and embraced by critics with the same enthusiasm they showed to UNFORGIVEN or MYSTIC RIVER, it almost certainly would've been Bichir out and DiCaprio in. Luckily for Bichir, J. EDGAR did a big belly flop critically and commercially.

by Anonymousreply 18003/07/2012

"Face it, ALL her nominations, all seventeen of them, were Oscar worthy. Meryl got in because of sheer TALENT."

Bullshit. I'd wager if you cold-called AMPAS voters right now, giving them no forewarning, a lot of them couldn't even name all her nominated performances. They could rattle off the legendary ones, the iconic ones, but there'd be at least four or five they couldn't name without effort, since they obviously didn't feel that passionately about them to begin with, and were just finalizing the ballot by nominating her.

Examine what younger actors say, who they idolize, who they try to emulate, who's their major inspiration, who sends them, and there's not always that much synchronicity with the Oscars. Samantha Morton recently said she thought Michael Fassbender was one of the best actors alive. Fassbender himself has said the same thing about Gary Oldman. Do you think the taste of some geriatric AMPAS voter means shit? Take a look at what the real shining talent of today thinks and it's not necessarily Meryl who's the great inspiration and influence other actors draw from. She has her share of admirers, but no more than any other alleged "great," whether that person is a one-time nominee like Oldman or a 12-time nominee like Nicholson. In the real world of acting, Academy selections correlate poorly with what the talent thinks. Fassbender isn't any less admired and respected by his contemporaries just because a bunch of superannuated AMPAS voters hated and snubbed his movie. There are a lot more above-the-title names in Hollywood who think Fassbender is a brilliant, dazzling actor than who think Ellen Page is, yet she has a nomination and he doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 18103/07/2012

It looks like Barbra Streisand is in the lead for Best Actress next year.

by Anonymousreply 18205/06/2012

They really ought to give it to Babs.

by Anonymousreply 18305/06/2012

Why hasn't there been any talk of Rachel Weisz in The Deep Blue Sea? It's the best female performance I've seen so far this year, and it will be hard to top it.

by Anonymousreply 18405/06/2012

Do you think the Academy would have the nerve to snub Barbra again next year?

by Anonymousreply 18505/07/2012

Sandra Bullock in Gravity!

by Anonymousreply 18605/07/2012

Streep Loon AND Anti-Streep Loon Loon BOTH need some serious fucking therapy.

by Anonymousreply 18705/07/2012

Meryl won BEST ACTRESS, Because she BECAME margret thatcher. She took "acting" to a whole other level. Viola Davis was amazing in the help, and so were the other candidates. This year was one of the toughest years for the best actress category, because of any of them were to be nominate any other year, then they could have easily taken home the award. But although they were all good, Meryl was best. As an actor I can tell you now that what she did in "Iron Lady" is something that is practically impossible to do. So for those saying that she didn't deserve the award, or that she only won it cause she's lost so many times, or whatever excuses you all have it is BULLCRAP. She was BEST ACTRESS, and the person who wins this year will also be BEST ACTRESS. Very rarely has a best actress candidate won that was not fair.

by Anonymousreply 18806/18/2012

No Hungar Games? No Jennifer Lawrence. You folks have your heads up the north end of a south bound horse

by Anonymousreply 18908/26/2012

Helen is going for Supporting? I thought it was supposed to be a leading role.

by Anonymousreply 19008/27/2012

Sandra Bullock won't get another nom, the Academy already paid up her movie frequent flyer miles, like Julia Roberts or Gwyneth Paltrow, she done now.

the list

Quvenzhane Wallis, Beasts of the Southern Wild

Meryl Streep, Hope Springs

Marion Cotillard, Rust and Bone

Laura Linney, Hyde Park on Hudson

Saoirse Ronan, Byzantium

by Anonymousreply 19108/27/2012

God, no more Streep please! The cunt needs to take a break and go away. At least for a year.

by Anonymousreply 19208/27/2012

Meryl Streep isn't getting in for Hope Springs.

by Anonymousreply 19308/27/2012

We're is Kristen Stewart?

by Anonymousreply 19408/27/2012

The Streep Troll and Lynn Stairmaster always sucks the fun out of every Oscar thread.

Anyway, I'm Team Viola again this year, assuming her film turns out well. I want her to pull a Colin Firth.

by Anonymousreply 19508/27/2012

Jennifer Lawrence didn't actually get that great of reviews for Hunger Games. A lot of people thought she was miscast and bore little resemblance to the character in the book.

by Anonymousreply 19608/27/2012

Lawrence might get in for Silver Linings Playbook. The Toronto International Film festival starts next week, that is good indicator who might be contenders.

Amy Adams might get in for Trouble With The Curve, and Helen Hunt will make the cut for The Sessions (not sure where she will be campaigned for though).

[quote]Sandra Bullock won't get another nom, the Academy already paid up her movie frequent flyer miles, like Julia Roberts or Gwyneth Paltrow, she done now.

Bullock's movie was pushed back until next year and is expected to put her back in the running. Julia Roberts has two shots for a nomination next year with August Osage County and The Normal Heart.

by Anonymousreply 19708/27/2012

R191, Streep won't get a nomination for Hope Springs. It's pretty obvious by now.

by Anonymousreply 19808/27/2012

Oh, and R195? I don't give a shit what you think.

by Anonymousreply 19908/27/2012

[quote]Jennifer Lawrence didn't actually get that great of reviews for Hunger Games. A lot of people thought she was miscast and bore little resemblance to the character in the book.

That was the criticism when she was initially cast but the reviews for her performance from critics and audiences alike were great. That's not to say she'll ever get an Oscar nom for a YA franchise like THG.

by Anonymousreply 20008/27/2012

My pussy stinks!

by Anonymousreply 20108/27/2012

R200, not if you read Manohla Dargis.

by Anonymousreply 20208/27/2012

[quote]not if you read Manohla Dargis.

I hate her reviews. Didn't she name Keira Knightley's performance in A Dangerous Method as one of the best of the year?

by Anonymousreply 20308/27/2012

Keira Knightley for Anna Karenina? I find her acting grating so I hope NOT, but she is getting good reviews out of Venice.

by Anonymousreply 20409/04/2012

bump

by Anonymousreply 20509/09/2012

So, what's the latest?

by Anonymousreply 20611/11/2012

Quvenzhane Wallis for the win. The rest of the nominees will just be filler.

Case closed.

by Anonymousreply 20711/11/2012

I'd love to see Matt Dillon try to pronounce that name, R207.

by Anonymousreply 20811/11/2012

Oh, no. Don't even get started on Sandra "can't act" Bullock again, OP. She didn't deserve the last one.

by Anonymousreply 20911/11/2012

If they give it to Quvenzhane Wallis the other actresses will lose their shit! Can you imagine losing to a child?

by Anonymousreply 21011/11/2012

I think Jennifer Lawrence is the front runner right now.

by Anonymousreply 21111/11/2012

My money will be on Marion Cotillard for RUST AND BONE.

by Anonymousreply 21211/14/2012

Amy Adams for one of the 8 films she was in this year....

by Anonymousreply 21311/14/2012

Naomi Watts for The Impossible - count on it (nomination, not necessarily the win).

MARION COTILLARD

JENNIFER LAWRENCE

NAOMI WATTS

Those are the "locks." I'd include Helen Hunt, but now there is some question about whether she'd go into supporting.

Emmanuelle Riva or Isabel Huppert from Amour could get in there. Quvenzhane Wallis or Keira Knightly might, too.

by Anonymousreply 21411/14/2012

Why is Naomi Watts listed twice? Is she extra good or something? Anyway, she's hardly a lock.

by Anonymousreply 21511/14/2012

R207 Won't Jean Dujardin be the one pronouncing it?

by Anonymousreply 21611/14/2012

Yes r216....What is r207 thinking why on earth would Matt Dillon have to say it?

by Anonymousreply 21711/14/2012

R217, Matt Dillon and a female co-presenter (forget who) butchered several names at an awards ceremony some years ago. Neither of them bothered to learn how to pronounce the names and neither of them seemed bothered by it.

by Anonymousreply 21811/14/2012

The movie with Quvenzhane looks corny.

by Anonymousreply 21911/14/2012

oh....sorry r207....

by Anonymousreply 22011/14/2012

Is there actually an award for the most deserving, rather than one that is susceptible to PR push or biased towards muscial?

Bceause if not, I'd have voted the fantastic and always-surprising Mellissa Leo (Francine), Deannie Ip (A Simple Life, Best actress Venice 2012), and maybe even Helen Hunt (The Sessions).

by Anonymousreply 22111/30/2012

Naomi watts The Impossible

Mark my words. Dark horse.

by Anonymousreply 22211/30/2012

[quote]Quvenzhane Wallis for the win. The rest of the nominees will just be filler. Case closed.

This

by Anonymousreply 22312/01/2012
Need more help? Click Here.