Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How do people get invites to attend the Oscars?

Some of the people that show up I'm like WTF? Last year Kim Kardashian was there. I don't think she showed up this year.

by Anonymousreply 4203/04/2012

Every year, a certain amount of seats are put aside for tabloid stars of the past year, in the interest of boosting ratings.

by Anonymousreply 102/29/2012

You can always get in as a plus one, or if you have a "sponsor" with enough clout to score an invtie for you. But it has to be an invite. First, all the nominees and their guests get invites, and there's a hierarchy to it. Like Directors get maybe +3 or producers get +3 where as an acting nominee gets a plus one.

The presenters get a plus one. Sometimes there's trading, for example, if Meryl wants her entire family to be there, they will "find" tickets someone else isn't using. But Meryl wouldn't do that.

(I often wonder if there is a sort of separate invitation for the Governor's Ball or if it is automatic that you get in if you are at the awards ceremony.)

Then there are the Board of Governors of the academy, and other VIP types. Then there are studio moguls, and bigshots and definitely the top honchos of the major agencies like CAA, WME, etc. who buy in.

If any AMPAS member wants to buy tickets, they can come. But it's very closed and very controlled. BTW: Did I tell you you have to buy your tickets?

Top PR firms who handle stars also finagle their publicists to "work" the event, so you see them strutting around the red carpet with walkie talkies steering Celebs towards media for interviews, and trying to look important.

Everyone is posing and posturing. The major film people are fine. It's the publicists, security people, and PAs who manage to get on everyone's nerves.

Even agents get pushy holding their nominees' hand to try to secure their place in the firmament. Often a celeb will insist their own publicist or PA be on the carpet, to "assist " them. Like it's so hard to walk the carpet.

by Anonymousreply 202/29/2012

It seems like Jennifer Lopez shows up every year. That need to give that tired bitch a rest.

by Anonymousreply 302/29/2012

Blame her agent. She's back on top as a TV star so they sell her on the basis that she will get them ratings. Also, how many Latina presenters are there? Remember, her claim to AMPAS fame is that she was an Oscar nominee for Selena. Remember?

JLo's agent is really doing right by her. Four years ago she was hanging on by her fingernails.

by Anonymousreply 402/29/2012

Jennifer Lopez was never nominated for an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 502/29/2012

R4, J Lo still hasn't been nominated. She got a Golden Globe nomination for SELENA.

by Anonymousreply 602/29/2012

I think Lopez is a really good actress. Maybe no one wants to work with her because of her past over exposure...now she's on that terrible show...can't remember the name.

by Anonymousreply 702/29/2012

If you've ever been nominated for an Oscar in the past, then you always have an open invitation to attend. That's why you always see Sally Kellerman and Louis Gosset, Jr. every year. Of course, only pathetic losers like those two abuse the privilege.

by Anonymousreply 802/29/2012

Judging by some of the attendees this year, I take it Penelope Ann Miller left the loser entrance propped open when she forgot her ticket in her Geo Metro. By the time security locked it shut, Leah Thompson and Sean Young were sharing a bag of Skittles in row ZZ.

by Anonymousreply 902/29/2012

Penelope was The Artist and Harvey made sure his principle cast members got there. No matter who is there, they had to pay.Maybe an agent or a PR agency covered the tab, but every ass in a seat was paid for.

by Anonymousreply 1002/29/2012

Justin Bieber was at the Oscars. Need we say more?

by Anonymousreply 1102/29/2012

My older brother went four or five times during the 70s by working as an usher at the LA Music Center.

by Anonymousreply 1202/29/2012

I've gone to it twice, as a seat filler, a few years ago But even that opportunity is hard to come by.

by Anonymousreply 1303/02/2012

Well, for one thing, they're not the kind of people who refer to invitations as "invites". That's bound to be helpful.

by Anonymousreply 1403/02/2012

Sally Kellerman and Louis Gossett Jr buy their tickets.I thought Louis was an Oscar Winner. Officer & A Gentleman, supporting? How it works is that you receive an invitation "to purchase" in the mail. Have no idea how Sally gets hers.

by Anonymousreply 1503/02/2012

Really R7? Jennifer Lopez is a great actress?????!

WTF?

I saw The Cell and this was two hours I will never get back

by Anonymousreply 1603/02/2012

R10,

It's PRINCIPAL!

by Anonymousreply 1703/02/2012

R16,

JLo was pretty good in Money Train, but she was great in Jersey Girl (she died in the opening scene).

by Anonymousreply 1803/02/2012

[bold]How do people get invites to attend the Oscars?[/bold]

Fuck the important people!

by Anonymousreply 1903/02/2012

[quote] Top PR firms who handle stars also finagle their publicists to "work" the event, so you see them strutting around the red carpet with walkie talkies steering Celebs towards media for interviews, and trying to look important.

They're the ones who always look like shit too. I always wonder why they don't bother wearing something more appropriate to where they are. I know they're 'working' and all but...

[quote]That's why you always see Sally Kellerman and Louis Gosset, Jr. every year

Kellerman? I know Kellerman's a former nominee but do you mean Sally Kirkland?

by Anonymousreply 2003/03/2012

There's a dress code. The publicists all have to wear black. The camera crews who work for the various entertainment news shows have to wear tuxedos.

by Anonymousreply 2103/03/2012

I know it's not a popular view, esp. on DL, but I agree with r7 that Lopez is a very good actress. However, she turned into a joke after she embarked on her "singing" career, and now it's a lot harder for her to be taken seriously.

by Anonymousreply 2203/03/2012

bump

by Anonymousreply 2303/03/2012

I've been six times. Twice I took fellow DLers as guests. Once I was with a nominee wound up winning (family member). He was able to bring two of us. If you are a nominee, you have some flexibility with that. Not as much at the Kodak since it has so many fewer seats than the Shrine. Sheesh -- the shrine had thousands more seats. Everyone there was a 20something using his uncle's tickets. They didn't even check ID. That changed after 9-11 and the move to the Kodak.

Tickets are very expensive. Best tickets are orchestra. Those are $500 each Gets you access to the celebrity bar. Wolfgang puck handing out pizzas. You get to see how fucking skinny and disgusting all the women are and how short all the men are. If you do not have orchestra seats, you are not allowed downstairs once the show begins.

by Anonymousreply 2403/03/2012

R15, might Sally Kellerman have been a nominee? for MASH?

by Anonymousreply 2503/03/2012

Yes, Kellerman was a S.A. nominee for "M*A*S*H". She also sang a best song nominee one year along with Petula Clark, Burt Lancaster, and Ricardo Montalban. For awhile, Sally thought of herself as a singer. She couldn't.

by Anonymousreply 2603/04/2012

The women need their publicist or P.A. to fluff their trains on the red carpet for the photo ops. Publicists will also steer them to the "right" reporters for blurby interviews.

by Anonymousreply 2703/04/2012

[quote]If you've ever been nominated for an Oscar in the past, then you always have an open invitation to attend. That's why you always see Sally Kellerman and Louis Gosset, Jr. every year. Of course, only pathetic losers like those two abuse the privilege.

So true. So true.

by Anonymousreply 2803/04/2012

I think JLO is always there only to attract the Latino audience. As soon as another Latina actress comes up JLO will be watching from home.

Same with African American actors. They will invite Will Smith or Denzel in the years when none of the big categories have black nominees.

But of course, as many white people can come as the theater can hold. And Oprah will always be there because she will shut the Oscars down if she cant do her special.

by Anonymousreply 2903/04/2012

I'd love to be a fly on the wall at the Governor's Ball. It has to be a huge opportunity for outsiders to find work to suck up to major players.Why else would someone like Sean Young hang around outside the door taking pictures?

by Anonymousreply 3003/04/2012

Not surprised the academy is mulling over a move to a larger theater. The kodak and dorothy chandler have about 2000-3000 seats compared to the shrine and nokia theaters which have 6000-7000. I know lou gossett jr. is there every year. Lol Im sure the grab for tickets can be fierce. I have heard the potential move might be a ploy to renegotiate their contract with the kodak but wouldnt surprise me if they ended up moving.

by Anonymousreply 3103/04/2012

[quote]I think JLO is always there only to attract the Latino audience.

Oh Honey, spoken like a true fag. Jennifer Lopez is there for the heterosexual male audience sitting on the couch with the family. Skin tight dress, slit up to here, nipple slippage, get it?

by Anonymousreply 3203/04/2012

[quote]Oh Honey, spoken like a true fag. Jennifer Lopez is there for the heterosexual male audience sitting on the couch with the family.

Family? Bish please. The Oscars havent been family viewing since 1985. Ratings prove it!

by Anonymousreply 3303/04/2012

Why are you guys singling out Louis Gossett and Sally Kellerman? If they get invitations and can afford them, why throw shade? In fact, so of you are insufferable snobs.

by Anonymousreply 3403/04/2012

I do not believe that Kim Kardashian was at the Oscars. Maybe after parties, but she is a whore, plain and simple, with no redeeming qualities. She doesn't sing or act or write or produce or finance or anything with regard to creative work.

by Anonymousreply 3503/04/2012

Why don't they have the Oscars at the Disney Theater?

by Anonymousreply 3603/04/2012

I went in 2001 as the guest of a producer. He had 4 tickets.

I think it was the last year that show was any good.

It was the year Bjork wore the swan dress. Steve Martin was the host.

by Anonymousreply 3703/04/2012

I would rather go to an after-party. The actual Oscar ceremony seems excruciatingly boring to sit through.

by Anonymousreply 3803/04/2012

Did you mean Sally Kellerman or Sally Kirkland, the even hotter mess.

by Anonymousreply 3903/04/2012

Did anyone see me sitting behind Martin Scorsese at the Oscars?

by Anonymousreply 4003/04/2012

$500 for Orchestra Seats? That's less than scalpers are getting for Book of Mormon.

$500, I don't think so...

by Anonymousreply 4103/04/2012

I think the price of tickets has gone up, but in any event, I imagine for some people, their agents or the producer of the film will cover it. So if I'm Harvey Weinstein, and I'm allocated ten tickets, I will purchase them and give them to people I want in my party. That's also true for the Bryan Lourds and the Ari Emanuels. It's probably how a Sally Kirkland gets in.

by Anonymousreply 4203/04/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!