Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

TITANIC miniseries being burned off by ABC

The TITANIC miniseries, written by DOWNTON ABBEY/GOSFORD PARK's Julian Fellowes, is being burned off by ABC Saturday April 14th and Sunday April 15th (only an hour). Sounds like a stinkeroo.

Someone on Twitter's already dubbed it DOWNTON WITH THE SHIP.

by Anonymousreply 12907/01/2013

Burned off?

by Anonymousreply 102/27/2012

WEHT Miniseries or the ABC Movie of the Week?

by Anonymousreply 202/27/2012

Considering they are airing it on the actual 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic, I'm not sure how they're doing a bad thing.

by Anonymousreply 302/27/2012

Enough with the Titantic. How many versions of this can people sit through? Give it a rest.

by Anonymousreply 402/27/2012

My favorite version was the Miss Barbara Stanwyck/Clifton Webb version. The whole idea of Webb as the straight husband and father is mesmerizing enough.

by Anonymousreply 502/27/2012

TITANIC! starring Maria Doyle Kennedy (The Tudors, Dexter, Downton Abbey)!!

trailer

by Anonymousreply 602/27/2012

I've never seen this answered anywhere so I think I'll ask the Titanic mavens here on the DL --

Did the White Star Line refund passengers' ticket money or did they issue reduced price tickets for future travel?

Was there ANY compensation paid to travelers or their heirs?

Does anyone know?

TIA

by Anonymousreply 702/27/2012

Time to revive the musical!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 802/27/2012

R7 there was a "relief fund" set up for widows and orphans back in the UK, but it didn't rally amount to much. But the actual survivors did not receive any compensation.

by Anonymousreply 902/27/2012

"Burned off" is TV-speak for running episodes straight through, as fast as possible. Running ANYTHING on a network on Saturday in primetime shows a distinct lack of faith.

by Anonymousreply 1002/27/2012

R10 you mean like ABC showing the Republican debates on Saturday nights?

by Anonymousreply 1102/27/2012

[quote] Running ANYTHING on a network on Saturday in primetime shows a distinct lack of faith.

Except when they are doing it as a STUNT to coincide with an important anniversary event.

by Anonymousreply 1202/27/2012

R7...They were given discounts on future flights.

by Anonymousreply 1302/27/2012

Well, does anyone know what, if anything, passengers on the Italian liner, Concordia, got or will get after that ship rolled over a month ago?

What did AIR FRANCE pay those passengers who were killed over the Atlantic?

Anyone know?

I heard the widows of those men killed on the Macondo oilwell in the Gulf of Mexico get free BP gasoline for life .. this could be a rumor though.

by Anonymousreply 1402/27/2012

[quote] Well, does anyone know what, if anything, passengers on the Italian liner, Concordia, got or will get after that ship rolled over a month ago?

Costa Concordia survivors will get full refunds, plus travel and lodging costs covered

by Anonymousreply 1502/27/2012

Uhhhh, somehow I doubt that, R12.

by Anonymousreply 1602/27/2012

Julian Fellowes pings.

by Anonymousreply 1702/27/2012

Doubt it all you want, asshole. I know how long I've been in the business, and it's been 26 years.

by Anonymousreply 1802/27/2012

But what does "burned off" mean???

by Anonymousreply 1902/27/2012

"Burned off" usually means the show will be broadcast since it's already been paid for, but not with the marketing expense or key schedule selection that were initially expected.

Like how ABC burned off the rest of their episodes of Pan Am by still running them on Sunday nights, but giving up the heavy promotion that they'd invested in it after it was obviously not a ratings winner.

by Anonymousreply 2002/27/2012

What R20 said. But I do think that TITANIC is scheduled to run on the anniversary of the sinking.

by Anonymousreply 2102/27/2012

Uhh, the reviews for TITANIC so far in the UK are pretty bad.

by Anonymousreply 2203/02/2012

R12, nobody runs anything worthwhile on Saturday anymore. Friday neither, unless it's sports. Regardless of the actual date of the sinking, if ABC had any faith in this, it would have run it on a weeknight.

by Anonymousreply 2303/02/2012

It is being shown on the 100TH ANMNIVERSARY OF THE TITANIC SINKING - what's so hard to understand about that?, that's why its being shown on those particular dates, same as here in England.

Personally I want more Downton Abbey at Sea - can't wait.

by Anonymousreply 2403/03/2012

Will Tammy Grimes come out of senility to play Molly Brown or will Debbie Reynolds take the role away from her?

by Anonymousreply 2503/03/2012

I hope not r25. I hated Reynolds in that movie about Molly Brown.

by Anonymousreply 2603/03/2012

OP is a moron and has to now move his entire life to Saturday nights.

by Anonymousreply 2703/03/2012

While it's the case in the US, the BBC(1)in the UK has shows like Merlin and Doctor Who in the Saturday primetime slot.

Are so many people still going out in the US and not watch TV instead on Saturdays even in a world wide financial crisis?

Have TV audience habits changed at all in the last decade (even with Tivo, internet, etc.)?

by Anonymousreply 2803/03/2012

I hope it's Kathy Bates as Molly Brown again - just like in the James Cameron movie.

by Anonymousreply 2903/03/2012

Sure, r24. Consider this: ABC hasn't scheduled an original scripted program on Saturday in well over 10 years, unless the show had already been cancelled. It's a burn off.

by Anonymousreply 3003/03/2012

The phrased "burned off" irritates me, because I've never heard it before.

by Anonymousreply 3103/03/2012

Saturday evening television is a big deal here in England - the BBC airs its prime shows like Dr Who and Merlin then to capture the kiddy audience and then screen "family entertainment" shows with entertainers like the dreaded John Barrowman to keep families watching all evening, then the prime chats shows come on, with our stars like Jonathan Ross, and there are major sports reviews etc and some movies. Its presumably the big stay at home night for families.

by Anonymousreply 3203/03/2012

I don't care how bad it is, I watch anything Titanic-related. I just watched a PBS doc on the iceberg that sunk the ship and even that was fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 3303/03/2012

Ahh, remember when Friday and Saturday nights were considered important nights by the networks.

Dallas was top of the ratings in the 1980s and it ran on Fridays, followed by Falcon Crest.

Fridays in the early 70s was gold on ABC -- Brady Bunch, Partridge Family, Room 222, Odd Couple and Love, American Style.

Saturday in the early 70s was gold on CBS -- All in the Family, M*A*S*H, Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart and Carol Burnett.

Even in the 80s, NBC hit the ratings jackpot with Golden Girls, which aired Saturdays at 9 p.m.

by Anonymousreply 3403/03/2012

I hear ya, R34. I wonder if it was a chicken or the egg type of thing? That is, did they schedule good shows on Saturdays in the seventies BECAUSE that was a good night for viewership or did it become a strong night for viewership because the shows were so good? I'm inclined to think it's the latter.

Growing up in the sixties and seventies, Sunday nights once seemed like bad TV nights for a kid dreading school the next day; used to wish they'd run comedies that night. Then in the seventies CBS ran a block of sitcoms that night (Archie Bunker's Place, One Day at a Time, Jeffersons, Alice) that really attracted viewers.

I'd like to think that good shows could make any night a "must see TV" night, but maybe TV audiences have diminished so much (and we have so many other entertainment options today) that we'll never have that type experience again.

by Anonymousreply 3503/03/2012

The shows were so good back then R35. If you were single, date night Saturday night was the night that it was OK to stay home.

by Anonymousreply 3603/03/2012

I'll watch this for Ruth Bradley. Her Emily was the best thing about the last two seasons of Primeval.

by Anonymousreply 3703/03/2012

R24/Julian Fellowes Troll, get a fucking clue and listen to me VERY CAREFULLY:

Saturday nights are not the same here as they are in the UK, TV-wise. Saturday nights in primetime here on the main networks are mostly reruns. I don't give a shit about the actual anniversary, if ABC thought it was viable they would have run TITANIC on 2 consecutive Sundays. They're not doing that.

by Anonymousreply 3803/03/2012

r38 its you who is the stupid one with your "not giving a shit about the actual anniversary" - the new film has to be shown on the actual anniversary date, whatever day of the week it happens to be, end of story. Seeing as you cant understand that you better stick to your saturday re-runs.

It is bound to attract a gigantic (if not titanic) audience - so stop trying to make it a flop before it appears, and it will be a dvd best-seller as well. People love this kind of stuff and will want to compare it with the the 1997 Cameron film.

by Anonymousreply 3903/04/2012

R39, you obviously know nothing about American broadcasting.

Just back from a pint at the pub, are you, luvvy?

The beloved Radio Times has already dissed TITANIC. Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 4003/04/2012

They actually have trombones going "dun dun DUN" the first time the say the name "Titanic." (around 25 seconds in). It does not seem to be ironic.

Pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 4103/04/2012

Even though the 60th anniversary of Pearl Harbor was Dec. 7, 2001, they released the Peal Harbor movie starring Ben Affleck and Josh Hartnett in May 2001.

Doing something on the actual anniversary isn't as important to Hollywood as making money.

If this Titanic project was really good, they'd be running it on consecutive Sundays before and after the 100th anniversary.

by Anonymousreply 4203/04/2012

[quote]It is bound to attract a gigantic (if not titanic) audience - so stop trying to make it a flop before it appears, and it will be a dvd best-seller as well. People love this kind of stuff and will want to compare it with the the 1997 Cameron film.

A gigantic audience on Saturday night in the US just doesn't happen.

by Anonymousreply 4303/04/2012

Being a lover of maritime, especially ocean liner history, I got my complete and utter fill of all things Titanic after the 1997 movie came out and all the tacky marketing BS came out. The fake "Heart of the Ocean" jewelry, the cruise ship ads, the awful books and fanfic. And people on cruises who ask the crew if they can stand on the bow of the ship "like Jack and Rose". Frau/flyover culture has ruined the Titanic story beyond repair. This miniseries sounds like a POS.

by Anonymousreply 4403/04/2012

Thanks, R42. That's what I was trying to say but you made my point much more succinctly.

To the British morons who've challenged my initial post-you got it now? Good. Back to your pork scratchings, mate.

by Anonymousreply 4503/04/2012

************SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!***************

Are the rumors true, that is sinks?

Any insiders know?

PLEASE spill the dirt. I CANNOT wait until the show airs to know!!!!!!!!!

TIA!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4603/04/2012

Most of you eldergays don't seem to realize that in the age of TIVO and PVR , the time and day of broadcast are almost completely irrelevent.

I know you are accustomed to appointment viewing that dates from back when you had to make sure you were home in time to catch the Lawrence Welk Show, but times and technology have changed.

by Anonymousreply 4703/04/2012

R30? It's NOT a "burn-off" you fucking idiot. It is airing then because it is the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic you stupid POS.

by Anonymousreply 4803/04/2012

Girls! Girls! It can be both a burn-off and on the 100th anniversary.

by Anonymousreply 4903/04/2012

From ABC Press Release in February:

[quote] From the creative minds of Julian Fellowes, Academy Award ("Gosford Park"), Emmy and Golden Globe winner ("Downton Abbey"), and BAFTA-winning producer Nigel Stafford Clark ("Bleak House") comes the highly anticipated ABC Premiere Event, "Titanic," a four-part miniseries that will premiere SATURDAY, APRIL 14 (8:00-11:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network. Parts One-Three will air on April 14, and the miniseries will conclude with Part Four on SUNDAY, APRIL 15 (9:00-10:00 p.m., ET), which will actually mark the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the RMS Titanic on April 15, 1912.

by Anonymousreply 5003/04/2012

[quote] ABC says it will air the new British miniseries "Titanic" to coincide with the 100th anniversary of the 1912 sinking of the real luxury liner.

by Anonymousreply 5103/04/2012

[quote]ABC Television Network. Parts One-Three will air on April 14

That sounds like a burn-off to me. They would air one episode a week, with the concluding ep airing on the anniversary, if they thought the program was strong.

by Anonymousreply 5203/04/2012

R48/50/51--Were you under the impression that anyone thought the finale had wound up on the 100th anniversary by accident?

But that does not explain why the first three episodes are all being aired on a single Saturday night. That is ample support for the burn-off argument.

by Anonymousreply 5303/04/2012

[quote] Even though the 60th anniversary of Pearl Harbor was Dec. 7, 2001, they released the Peal Harbor movie starring Ben Affleck and Josh Hartnett in May 2001.

It wasn't the 100th anniversary of Pearl Harbor either, now was it?

by Anonymousreply 5403/04/2012

It's not really like a nailbiting mystery what's going to happen. Why stretch it out (one part per week or day)? They still run a ton of commercial breaks.

by Anonymousreply 5503/04/2012

[quote] But that does not explain why the first three episodes are all being aired on a single Saturday night. That is ample support for the burn-off argument.

The Titanic started sinking on April 14th. She took her final plunge on April 15th.

The 100th anniversary of the sinking is April 14-15, 2012.

by Anonymousreply 5603/04/2012

Yes, I'm sure ABC really cares about being historically accurate. If they would be able to make more $$$ off of airing it during sweeps or saw a potential for a huge audience, you'd better believe they would not be airing this on Saturday.

Nobody watches TV on Saturday. Shit, even PBS never would have aired Downton Abbey on a Saturday.

by Anonymousreply 5703/04/2012

Like any of you old queens have anything else to do on a Saturday night.

by Anonymousreply 5803/04/2012

[quote] Nobody watches TV on Saturday

Some of us do. We gave up the bar and circuit party life ages ago, Mary.

by Anonymousreply 5903/04/2012

It's not like the movie covers only the period of the sinking or that they are airing the episodes in the time-frame of the sinking. If they expected anyone to watch, they would have settled for airing the finale on the anniversary and the other episodes when people are actually watching.

Besides, having watched the trailer, it is readily apparent that this film was entirely redundant and inferior to Cameron's film.

by Anonymousreply 6003/04/2012

[quote]Some of us do. We gave up the bar and circuit party life ages ago, Mary.

Yes, but to have dinner at restaurants and at friend's homes and to go to parties, theater and other events, not sit at home, get drunk and watch TV.

Mary, indeed!

by Anonymousreply 6103/04/2012

TITANIC the musical starring Tony winners Michael Ceversis and Victoria whashername.. the one from Sister Act and Light in thePiazza.

Press reels

by Anonymousreply 6203/04/2012

Some of us prefer to stay home R61. I don't need to go anywhere or be with anyone.

by Anonymousreply 6303/04/2012

I've seen douche ads more inspiring than that James Cameron film.

by Anonymousreply 6403/04/2012

It seems that the ship hits the iceberg and sinks in each of the 4 episodes, which cover the same event from different perspectives - instead of a soppy love story it focuses on different people on board and we don't know who lives or dies until the end of episode 4.

Seems an interesting way to do it, as it obviously cannot compete withe 1997 film budgetwise, so its focusing on the human interest angle ....

by Anonymousreply 6503/05/2012

NY Post article -Titanic without Jack and Rose.

by Anonymousreply 6603/07/2012

How obvious is it now it's being burned-off?

You nay-sayers, British and otherwise, are utter morons.

by Anonymousreply 6703/07/2012

Only obvious in your tiny little, have no fucking clue about how anything works in Hollywood mind, OP.

by Anonymousreply 6803/07/2012

Believe it or not, there is actually another Titanic mini-series also in the works. This one is TWELVE parts and stars Neve Campbell, Chris Noth, and Kevin Zegers. No idea where or when it will air, but 12 hours seems a bit much, no?

by Anonymousreply 6903/07/2012

R68, it's a dud in the UK. Got it now, hon?

And you'd be surprised how well I know how the television business works here. Any fool with half a brain can see ABC is burning this turkey off next weekend.

by Anonymousreply 7004/07/2012

Linus Roache is in it. I will watch it.

by Anonymousreply 7104/07/2012

I downloaded part one (one hour) on my computer and watched it on my tv.

It's awful.

I won't be watching it on ABC or downloading the rest of it, because it just sucks. I tried giving it a chance, but it doesn't work.

WAY too many characters are introduced in the first hour, none of them fleshed out to any degree. I didn't care about any of them.

I wouldn't say it looked cheap, but it's hard not to compare it to the James Cameron movie. The CGI looks particularly bad.

I was shocked when Titanic hit the iceberg in the first hour, because it all seemed so rushed.

I can't imagine watching THREE HOURS of this on a Saturday night. There's no doubt in my mind but that ABC is burning it off.

by Anonymousreply 7204/07/2012

I saw the first episode but giving the next 2 a miss, may look in for the final to see the ship going down, but it has not worked, its just dull and tedious and not very interesting, so not everything Fellowes does has HIT written all over it !

by Anonymousreply 7304/07/2012

SPOILER;The ship sinks!

by Anonymousreply 7504/09/2012

[quote]Most of you eldergays don't seem to realize that in the age of TIVO and PVR , the time and day of broadcast are almost completely irrelevent.

To viewers, perhaps, but not to networks.

by Anonymousreply 7604/09/2012

Maria Doyle Kennedy was in Dexter? Never knew she crossed the atlantic in her acting career.

by Anonymousreply 7704/09/2012

R77- yes she played Dexter's babysitter. It really wasn't much of a part and it didn't really go anywhere. I kept expecting that she would turn out to be a kidnapper, an axe murderer, a prostitute, an FBI agent undercover.. but no... nothing.

by Anonymousreply 7804/09/2012

Titanic, or as I call it "Drownton Abbey", is better off screened with back to back episodes.

Episode 1 is slow paced to say the least but by episode 2 you've gotten to know the characters and it improved drastically. Worth watching if you're staying in...

by Anonymousreply 7904/10/2012

Matt Roush of TV Guide wrote this today-"ABC has chosen to burn off three hours in the vortex of Saturday night, saving the final hour for Sunday night. By then you'll be rooting for the iceberg."

NOW do you believe me?

Heh.

by Anonymousreply 8004/13/2012

[quote]But that does not explain why the first three episodes are all being aired on a single Saturday night. That is ample support for the burn-off argument.

There wasa time when saturday night was the best night of television.

by Anonymousreply 8104/13/2012

Total insurance claims for loss of loved ones and luggage, jewelry, and other tangibles against the White Star Line was about $2,500.000. The line argued that under U.S. statutes they were only liable for about $100,000.

Eventually the line settled for about $667,000 - meaning that each claimant received about 20% of what they asked for.

The IMM that owned the WSL - collected about $12,000,000 for the loss of the ship.

This and other information can be found at the link.

by Anonymousreply 8204/13/2012

Did the people who greenlit this not know that Cameron was re-releasing the movie version?

If it wasn't for the re-release of Titanic in theaters this would have been a good idea.

by Anonymousreply 8304/13/2012

So anyway, it's about to start on ABC in the east right?

And a few hours from now will be the centennial of the sinking?

I'm going to watch (for awhile anyway) and if it's good, I'll stay with it. If it's bad, I hope it's bad in a mythic way ("Showgirls" or Broadway's "Carrie").

Anyone else watching?

by Anonymousreply 8404/14/2012

God, this seems bad. I hate the Cameron film so was sort of rooting for this, but all these characters introduced so quickly. . .seems like a bad start. Shane if so, because I've spotted some actors I've liked in other things.

by Anonymousreply 8504/14/2012

I've been watching for two mins.

AWFUL

by Anonymousreply 8604/14/2012

I'm miffed that TCM isn't showing Clifton Webb/Barbara Stanwyck but I'll try this for awhile. As long as Celine Dion doesn't sing, it can't be all bad.

by Anonymousreply 8704/14/2012

I'd rather watch a miniseries about the iceberg; more interesting, esp. with global warming.

We got you back, iceberg! Melt, mother fucker. MELT!

by Anonymousreply 8804/14/2012

I don't think I can watch another re-tell of the Titanic story.

by Anonymousreply 8904/14/2012

Where the hell is Molly Brown in this!? She was a heroine and the most unsinkable passenger onboard the Titanic. This miniseries is a travesty without her presence!

by Anonymousreply 9004/14/2012

Well, that was a piece of shit. If I watched the conclusion tomorrow I WOULD be rooting for the iceberg but will watch MAD MEN and THE GOOD WIFE, instead.

by Anonymousreply 9104/14/2012

Some of the actors are hot. Like that Italian coalstoker locked in the closet (his waiter brother is cute), and the Russian copkiller. The Irish dad is a bit DILFy, too.

by Anonymousreply 9204/14/2012

The storylines are so confusing. They should have re-edited and just showed it in a more conventional time-lapse. The performances themselves are quite good, but there is simply too much going on. And as flawed as Cameron's film has been accused of being, the sets and F/X were second to none. This version, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 9304/14/2012

It's really fucked up and awful.

The iceberg arrives within 30 minutes of a FOUR HOUR show.

And then they go back.

The writing is so awful.

I hate the writing soooooooooooo much.

Flames. Flames. FLAMES. Flames on the sides of my head.

by Anonymousreply 9404/14/2012

"I have a bloody great idea! Show the same scenes three times so I can fill three hours very cheaply! I just add a wee bit more dialogue with each pass! Brilliant!"

by Anonymousreply 9504/14/2012

Doesn't the ship sink about four times in this miniseries?

by Anonymousreply 9604/15/2012

OP is one of the bigger idiots to hit DL in ages.

The dates are DELIBERATE, dummy, to coincide with the date the Titanic his the iceberg and the date it sank.

It's a four-hour series. Three episodes are being shown tonight, and the other one tomorrow.

Hardly "burned off."

by Anonymousreply 9704/15/2012

Too confusing and too many characters, I can't really follow it all, but I did like when Linus Roche's snobby wife got told off by that second-class woman and she labeled him a philanderer. I also like the storyline of the Irish wife who falls for that painter, cop killer or whatever he is, he's sexy. There's also a scene when the captain is talking to this man on deck and you can see the ice on the water getting thicker and thicker in the background - they end the conversation and the captain leaves and the man, who is crying, finally notices what is happening on the water and then the iceberg gradually comes into view as the ship passes it - it's kind of a creepy scene, because it's so low-key and ominous - in the movie version of Titanic, it's a very loud, bombastic scene, which is fine, but I kind of like this TV version of that moment a little more. Still, this movie is a bit perplexing and bloated.

by Anonymousreply 9804/15/2012

I just watched the first three hours. The writing wasn't NEARLY as bad as James Cameron's writing, and I liked many of the characters better than "Rose and Jack."

Not a great drama, but in many ways (except for the spectacle) better than Cameron's.

by Anonymousreply 9904/15/2012

Although I will say Fellows should have begged Maggie Smith to do it. I would have loved to see her casting withering glances at the third class passengers, the italians, making jokes about the Irish, and trashing Molly Brown. Sort of what Celie Imrie did, but more.

by Anonymousreply 10004/15/2012

I did like seeing Vera Bates from Downton playing the crabby wife of Toby Jones.

She needs to start playing different kinds of character, though. Too crabby bitches in one year is enough.

by Anonymousreply 10104/15/2012

They seem to be showing the entire casts individual experiences of the iceberg hitting the ship instead of just doing it once.

by Anonymousreply 10204/15/2012

What was the 'secret' Maria Doyle Kennedy told her husband Toby Jones re Linus Roache's character? I DVR'd this and watched that scene twice. I still didn't get it. It didn't help that threatening weather warnings and beep beep alerts were flashing during the scene. Confusing. Something about a bastard daughter? So many characters, I didn't get who she was talking about.

by Anonymousreply 10304/15/2012

The Australian production of TITANIC the musical is on youtube. Appears to be a house camera shot.

by Anonymousreply 10404/15/2012

After the second commercial break in 14 minutes, I turned this POS off. Turned back again after 9 pm and they were showing the same scenes from the those first 14 minutes.

Don't the regular networks realize, it's just this kind of crap, too many and constant commercial breaks, that drove viewers away.

Anyway, A Night to Remember was on TCM, the best of the Titanic movies. Made even better by the presence of Kenneth Moore.

by Anonymousreply 10504/15/2012

What R105 said... A NIGHT TO REMEMBER is the best... the new blu ray is stunning too.

by Anonymousreply 10604/15/2012

"The First Class Lounge is sponsored by the good folks at The Home Depot"

by Anonymousreply 10704/15/2012

Burned off? You'd better believe it -- just look at the ratings in the 18-49 demo:

0.8 rating/ 3 share 4.11 mil viewers

Last week, The Ten Commandments got a 1.6 rating in the 18-49 demo.

It was a BOMB, even for a Saturday night.

by Anonymousreply 10804/15/2012

They ran out of funds in this turkey. Too expensive to sink the ship, so they sank Da Burg instead. While da burg was sinking, the band played "Donton" instead of "Nearer my God to Thee". Do y'uns know what I'm sayin?

by Anonymousreply 10904/15/2012

This Titanic is Train Wreck

by Anonymousreply 11104/15/2012

[quote]I'm here all week folks

That's what you think!

by Anonymousreply 11204/15/2012

Wow, those ratings are pretty embarrassing for ABC.

by Anonymousreply 11304/15/2012

[quote]Wow, those ratings are pretty embarrassing for ABC.

Actually, they should be embarrassing to the people who wrote and produced the series.

ABC bought it based on its Downton pedigree, but once it saw what it had, knew it had a stinker on its hands.

If anything, ABC comes off looking smart, cutting its losses by burning the show off quickly.

ABC would have only been embarrassed if the show had been a huge hit, which it could have spread over four weeks, instead of one weekend.

by Anonymousreply 11404/15/2012

Did anyone else thing Linus Roache's British accent sounded fake? Yes - I know he is actually British but he did such a great American accent as Mike Cutter in "Law & Order" that his British accent sounded inauthentic.

by Anonymousreply 11504/15/2012

The way the media have fawned over Julian Fellowes is ridiculous.

Gosford Park was great, with a script by Jules based on an idea by Altman and Balaban.

Downtown Abbey is enjoyable, although the pacing issues and predictable scenarios are partly disguised by the calibre of the actors.

Titanic is a piece of shit.

Roll on Gypsy.

by Anonymousreply 11604/15/2012

All I could stand was 5 minutes, then flipped to Family Guy.

by Anonymousreply 11704/15/2012

[quote]I know he is actually British

I didn't know this, he totally fooled me on L&O.

by Anonymousreply 11804/15/2012

Is Julian Fellowes closeted?

by Anonymousreply 11904/15/2012

I missed a crucial moment in Ep 1 -- why was one of the officers removed from the roster just before the ship sailed from Belfast? I think he was the guy who didn't have enough storage space and stashed stuff anywhere he could -- then they couldn't find binoculars the night of the crash?

Also: I missed the final ep -- what happened to Annie the stewardess and her Paolo? And the Italians locked in the closet? And the wimpy lawyer and his bitter wife from 2nd class? Yes, I have a pretty good idea none of them made it, but I'm curious to know how the show handled it.

by Anonymousreply 12004/16/2012

Annie survived but Paolo froze to death. One of the Italian brothers survived, but the other perished in the water. The wimpy lawyer died with his young daughter who had run off, the wife survived.

by Anonymousreply 12104/16/2012

What's appalling in all this is the insistance on using the pretentious "burn off" without any irony whatsoever. You're cubicle queens, not Jeff Zucker, so get over yourselves.

by Anonymousreply 12204/16/2012

Bad miniseries. Made the Catherine Zeta- Jones, George C. Scott, Tim Curry version from the late 90's seem like a masterpiece in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 12304/16/2012

R122: I'll place "burn off" in quotations marks, to suggest sarcasm, in hopes that you won't stamp your little feet any more.

by Anonymousreply 12404/16/2012

In the last thirty minutes there is a scene where two men jump off the ship holding hands. I didn't watch the movie before that so I don't know their relationship.

I think studios should hold off on doing Titanic movies for 40 more years because James Cameron's version left a big impression on the public that they don't want to see another one.

by Anonymousreply 12504/16/2012

I guess I'm in the minority here, because, overall, I liked it. Don't need to see it again, but it held my interest.

r120, The crabby wife from 2nd class drowned, but her husband was pulled into a lifeboat and survived. (The guy with the daughter, mentioned above, was from steerage.)

by Anonymousreply 12604/16/2012

You do take yourself seriously, don't you r124?

by Anonymousreply 12704/16/2012

121 & 126 -- thank you so much!

by Anonymousreply 12804/16/2012

Ok, I just finished Titanic Blood and Steel, 12 episodes, Season 1. Is there a season 2, if so How can I watch on my television? Help!! I am in suspense

by Anonymousreply 12907/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.