Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

DL Catholic-defenders?

Defend this:

Priest walks out of woman's funeral because of her lesbian daughter.

by Anonymousreply 15603/04/2012

I can't defend the Catholic church, but I will say that I defend the Catholic people.

It is possible to have faith even when you don't agree with the church doctrine. I know many Catholics who pray for a time when church leadership will be more enlightened. In the meantime, they don't give up trying to do good work.

by Anonymousreply 102/27/2012

I have met many Catholic priests. They are all of them creepy, stupid, and dishonest.

by Anonymousreply 202/27/2012

"My friend Barbara, the daughter of the deceased woman, was denied communion at her mother’s funeral. She was the first in line and Fr. Guarnizo covered the bowl containing the host and said to her, “I cannot give you communion because you live with a woman and that is a sin according to the church.” To add insult to injury, Fr. Guarnizo left the altar when she delivered her eulogy to her mother. When the funeral was finished he informed the funeral director that he could not go to the gravesite to deliver the final blessing because he was sick."

by Anonymousreply 302/27/2012

Amazing they continue their douchey and unChristian behavior even at a time when they need better press. Funny, the very Jesus they teach about was a very loving, tolerant indiviual who accepted everyone, even if he did not agree. I remember a priest in the parish where I went to grade school who was appalled that my sister went to her best friend's wedding because she did not get married in the church and my sister was wrong to attend that wedding. I hate these bastards and their made up rules.

by Anonymousreply 402/27/2012

Plus, how did he KNOW?

by Anonymousreply 502/27/2012

Seriously. For all he knew, she was living as a celibate. He DIDN'T know, but he used his "power" as a priest to inflict more pain on a woman who had lost her mother.

What Would Jesus Do?

Most likely, based on the stories in the Bible, he would have welcomed her and comforted her. He wasn't as picky and judgmental as the men who claim to carry his teachings today.

by Anonymousreply 602/27/2012

That's wrong and indefensible. On the other hand, I know of two instances when priests have really stepped up and helped people. First was with my family when my grandfather died. We're all a bunch of lapsed Catholics, I hadn't set foot in a church in 20 years or more. He gave us all absolution so we could receive Communion. Basically I was forgiven for any possible sin I may have committed. It was really important to my grandmother so I went so I am glad I did it.

A second is when a coworker's college-age son committed suicide. The Catholic church is not supposed to perform full funeral rights for people who commit suicide. The priest did a full funeral mass and said this young man died from Hopelessness. He actually gave a very moving eulogy that brought a lot of comfort to those who were there.

by Anonymousreply 702/27/2012

Considering how many priests are gay or pedophiles, its hard to believe this story.

by Anonymousreply 902/27/2012

r8 I don't get your point.

by Anonymousreply 1002/27/2012

Catholics and their hierarcy are all the most immoral people on the face of the planet.

For centuries, Catholic priests have been sexually molesting children. For centuries, the Catholic hierarchy has been keeping this dirty little secret. And for centuries, Catholics have let this disgusting nonsense play out without any demand for accountability or punishment for the perpetrators.

Then, in the ultimate act of demagoguery, Catholics bitch about how their religious freedom is being impacted, and how the government is trying to infringe on their faith. How about the Catholic Church and Catholics spare us its moral relevancy, as well as letting the judicial system of the United States take care of the Church's pedophile problem, since the Church is unwilling to do so.

by Anonymousreply 1102/27/2012

?

by Anonymousreply 1202/27/2012

There are just as many stories as R7 provided as there are stories about the priest in OP's story. R4 equals the douchey as he paints a broad "they" in order to smear some who are good, caring and honest men.

Though I'm not a member of any church, I've been to Catholic funerals for gays, lesbians and drag queens. They were treated with dignity and respect.

by Anonymousreply 1302/27/2012

Probably would have stayed if the daughter had been a teen-aged boy.

by Anonymousreply 1402/27/2012

Wow. The lesbian daughter first posted this on Reddit the other day. I didn't bother paying much attention to it because she had posted it in the atheism subreddit.

Link goes to her original Facebook post which someone captured to an image file:

by Anonymousreply 1502/27/2012

closet-case?

by Anonymousreply 1702/27/2012

Um. excuse me sir?

Don't nuns live with other women?

by Anonymousreply 1802/27/2012

That is great you had such positive experiences, r7, but does rather prove the point of just how shabbily the woman in teh link was treated due to her being gay in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 1902/27/2012

Exactly, r19.

by Anonymousreply 2002/27/2012

Priest was probably afraid she'd recognize him from his other favorite place to be on his knees.

by Anonymousreply 2102/27/2012

Understand the years and magnitude of social conditioning Catholics go through all their lives, a single post on DL is not going to counter all of that.

Catholics have be conditioned to reject logic and facts.

by Anonymousreply 2202/27/2012

You cannot limit this to Catholics. I'm sure any good Pentecostal minister would have done the same.

That said, I hope he's chastised for this, though he'd probably like it.

by Anonymousreply 2302/27/2012

ut

by Anonymousreply 2402/27/2012

[quote] When the funeral was finished he informed the funeral director that he could not go to the gravesite to deliver the final blessing because he was sick."

He still is.

by Anonymousreply 2502/27/2012

[quote] Don't nuns live with other women?

yes but they are all brides of Christ!

by Anonymousreply 2602/27/2012

None of this would matter if people woke up to the fact that organized religion makes no sense at any level, and just refused to go along with it.

A Catholic Church (or any church for that matter) without a congregation won't last long.

by Anonymousreply 2702/27/2012

Organized religion (any of them) is the root of all evil in this world.

by Anonymousreply 2802/27/2012

Wow, 27 posts and no Catholics weighing in? The woman who wrote this article is astoundingly ill informed for someone who claims to have gone to catholic school. A priest CAN NOT give communion to someone who has not received the sacrament (people of other faiths, for example). He also can not give the communion to anyone who has committed mortal sin without confession. This priest must have had prior knowledge of her lifestyle and the fact that she was willfully "unrepentant."

Not judging. Not saying it's right. Just explaining the "rules" to all of you who are unaware of the fact that you can't just go into a Catholic church and take communion because you feel like it. Doesn't matter if it's the funeral of your mom or any other reason. Lots of people--faithful, practicing Catholics can't take communion--ie. divorced people who remarry w/o an annulment, etc.

by Anonymousreply 2902/27/2012

I was raised Catholic, but my father was a Protestant. I did not understand why he never went up for Communion. One day I asked him and he said, "Because I don't play by the house rules." And the house rules are: must be a Catholic in a state of grace. He was neither, so he didn't go up to the Communion rail.

by Anonymousreply 3102/27/2012

I has some of the best sex I ever had with a Catholic priest.

I didn't know he was a priest until he left my bed to go get ready for "work" at 4:00 am Sunday morning.

He was smokin hot. I was not happy when I found out what he was.

by Anonymousreply 3302/27/2012

R29 I think your information is old. Catholics invite all baptized christians to receive communion - no one is refused - a person is not supposed to partake for the reasons you have stated, true, however it's not up to the priest to decide. I was Catholic from birth and stopped going to church when I was about 22, from the time I knew I was gay (18 or so) I stopped taking communion at mass.

by Anonymousreply 3502/27/2012

Don't care and I'm not catholic or religious. If he wants to walk out so what. Who gives a flying fuck? Did she die of obesity?

by Anonymousreply 3702/27/2012

You are wrong, r35. The text at the link (from 1996) is printed in the back of every missalette to this day.

by Anonymousreply 3802/27/2012

R29, perhaps the "rules" of the Catholic religion prohibit gay relationships, but let me tell you that there is nothing that Jeasus Christ taught that prohibits compassion and understanding. This is what pisses me off about ALL christian religions. They like to blame Christ for their beliefs, for their prejudices, for their warped righteousness. If anyone would do a simple study of what Christ taught, what HE taught, not what is interpreted by any organization, but what HE said, you would find nothing but compassion, understanding . . . and don't anyone ever forget that his one show of anger, his one major temper tantrum, was towards the money lenders.

Good Lord, how can people forget that he even provided more wine at a wedding??!!!

by Anonymousreply 3902/27/2012

I bet if instead of being born a lesbian she chose to be a child molester or a murderer during her life time the priest would have stayed. That priest is a miserable self loathing person who obviously hates himself

by Anonymousreply 4002/27/2012

The father of a friend of mine killed himself because he couldn't turn straight in 1967. He went through electroshock therapy and all sorts of chemical experimentation but it didn't work.

After the funeral, the priest told the widow that her husband was "burning in Hell."

Religion's a crock. Why buy second-hand what you already own?

by Anonymousreply 4202/27/2012

[quote]Just explaining the "rules" to all of you who are unaware of the fact that you can't just go into a Catholic church and take communion because you feel like it.

Complete bullshit. I, a non-Catholic, accompanied my best friend to mass many times as a pre-teen and teen because his parents only required that he attend mass weekly, not that he go with them. So I'd tag along with him because after mass we'd go off and do stuff that we really wanted to do. And each time I accompanied him I got up and took communion without objection from the priest - who not only knew who I was, but also knew I wasn't Catholic.

The rules are entirely flexible. I've seen it many times.

by Anonymousreply 4302/27/2012

I wanted to add one more thing.

This weekend, the priest in our parish gave a homily where he talked about people loving their husband, wife OR life partner.

When I chatted with him after church, I thanked him for being inclusive and welcoming. He said to me that he feels very strongly that he wants LGBT Catholics in our parish to feel welcome.

He quoted St. Augustine, and to paraphrase him he said, "I just feel like you have to do everything out of love. And if you don't, you're doing it wrong."

by Anonymousreply 4402/27/2012

[quote] Plus, how did he KNOW?

Shaved head? Piercings? Tattoos? Cane?

by Anonymousreply 4502/27/2012

god is still imaginary, r44.

by Anonymousreply 4602/27/2012

[quote]and don't anyone ever forget that his one show of anger, his one major temper tantrum, was towards the money lenders.

Exactly so R39. Jesus did not allow willful, unrepentant "sinners" in his house. The money lenders are a metaphor for all sinners. The priest in OP's story was doing the same (in his view, not mine). Jesus accepts all who accept him (repent, follow his commandments and fly right). Read your bible. It's all there.

[quote]I bet if instead of being born a lesbian she chose to be a child molester or a murderer during her life time the priest would have stayed.

True, he would have, as long as she repented of those sins. Same as if she repented of any other mortal sins including, in the Church's view, living a gay lifestyle.

by Anonymousreply 4702/27/2012

[quote]After the funeral, the priest told the widow that her husband was "burning in Hell." Religion's a crock.

First of all I don't believe this dumb story. Second, one priest is an asshole so "religion's a crock?" Okay. Priests are just like any other group of people. Some are jerks. Some are great. Most are average. Get over it.

by Anonymousreply 4902/27/2012

[quote]Not saying it's right. Just explaining the "rules" to all of you

Just doing your job then, Herr Göth?

by Anonymousreply 5002/27/2012

There are some seriously fucked-up comments here from these people defending this asshole priest and his petty little tyranny with his communion wafer! Let he who is without sin cast the first stone!

by Anonymousreply 5102/27/2012

[quote]However, the RC Church's canon law is pretty clear about who can receive the Eucharist:

Yeah, and it's frequently not followed. It's just something for hateful priests to fall back on when they feel like it.

by Anonymousreply 5202/27/2012

Hard to explain to a non-catholic, but they don't check you at the door for ID or anything. You're supposed to abstain if you haven't received the sacrament out of respect for what other's believe and hold sacred. Catholics believe that they are receiving the actual body and blood of Christ. It is not just bread and wine and it is not just symbolic.

by Anonymousreply 5302/27/2012

Someone show me in the bible where jeebus said a person has to confess his or her sins to a priest before receiving communion. Show me where Jeebus differentiated between one type of sin and another. The catholic church is a corporation who has invented rules to protect itself. Show me where Jeebus differentiated between one type of sin and another. Jeebus said we should eat and drink in remembrance of him. He did not attach any strings to communion.

by Anonymousreply 5402/27/2012

[quote]Second, one priest is an asshole so "religion's a crock?"

Nope, it's a crock because it's a crock. The fact that the priest in question was a fuckwad is unrelated.

by Anonymousreply 5502/27/2012

R54, read link @ R53. All will be revealed.

by Anonymousreply 5602/27/2012

[quote]Hard to explain to a non-catholic, but they don't check you at the door for ID or anything.

Except when they do. Catholic practices are pretty random about what is and isn't allowed and when it might be. Right now, the Church is focused on sex to the point of absurdity.

Supposedly, we're against the death penalty too, but good luck looking for examples of the Church fighting that to equal the fervor they apply to homosexuality and abortion and birth control.

The Church's "moral stances" are embarrassingly random and obviously the product of a bunch of impotent geezers battling dementia.

by Anonymousreply 5802/27/2012

I'll concede that point to you for sure, R58. But we were discussing church law, not it's imperfect, sloppy and inconsistent execution.

by Anonymousreply 6002/27/2012

I understand the catholic stance completely, R56. My point is that the catholic rules are not bible-based. Doesn't matter if it's the blood and body of christ or a fig newton. The bible does not say that some people can take it and some can not. This is a catholic construct. This harks back to when the church charged you for absolution. If you don't pay me to make you clean, then you can't take communion. If you don't take communion, then you will BURN IN HELL. 99.9% of what the catholic church pushes is bull shite.

BTW, I might be Irish, but I am not catholic. I am atheist - born and raised.

by Anonymousreply 6102/27/2012

[quote]This harks back to when the church charged you for absolution.

Which was also, no doubt, defended by Catholics at the time when anyone questioned it.

Then, just as now, it was wrong but the Catholic Church survives by enticing the weak minded to insist "there are church laws" that justify morally repugnant behavior. As if.

Catholic "law" changes with Popes and profits. There's nothing consistent about it.

by Anonymousreply 6202/27/2012

[quote]I'm one of those Catholics fighting to change the church from within.

How, exactly r41? You do realize you have absolutely no power, right? ie your church's power is 100% top down? You can't pick your priests, you can't fire them, you can't effect any real change or oversee your church's books or where the money goes to ... so explain again how you're 'fighting'? What are you doing?

If you want to stay in such a backward, gay hating, ignorant institution, that's certainly your right, but please don't come to a gay board telling us how you're "fighting". You're just deluded.

by Anonymousreply 6302/27/2012

One of my ex-lovers was a priest, and he was so hot at age 32 that nobody here wouldn't have done him.

His family owned a brewery in Wisconsin, and he referred to their product as "the nectar of the gods." The beer sucked, though.

He and his fellow priest friends had this idea the Catholic Church was a democracy.

Ha-ha-ha.

by Anonymousreply 6502/27/2012

oh please r64. Priests break the rules all the time and you know it and I know it. Positioning this whole sad story as somehow reflecting priestly integrity is just pure casuistry (which the church and its minions are experts at).

This idiot priest wanted to make a public statement. Did he ask if anyone was divorced? Or otherwise unfit to eat the jeezit? How does he presume to know? Why refuse this *one* person?

People are shocked at the pettiness and mean-spiritedness of it. And most likely hypocrisy.

by Anonymousreply 6602/27/2012

LOL at jeezit, R66. You owe me a new keyboard.

by Anonymousreply 6702/27/2012

The Catholic Church has caused more death and misery than any other institution in the history of the world. Period. Rick Santorum is its perfect advocate. Angry and joyless.

by Anonymousreply 6802/27/2012

Anyone who is gay and defends The Church is still full of self loathing and is absolutely desperate to feel accepted. When you were young, God (represented by the church) was like a parent to you. You just wanted to feel love from this faceless entity. Now as an adult you realizes how much your god/ parent despises you. Worst yet, not because of anything you did but simply because you were born a certain way. Now in your desperation you'll defend the church and try to play by every one of their rules, hoping that some how you'll earn that love and acceptance that you feel has been taken away from you. There is another behavior pattern similar to this: codependent abuse.

I don't believe in God but I do have faith that we as human beings are hard wired to love, respect, and support one another and to want to connect with one another. And I believe that Carl Jung was on to something with his idea of the collective unconscious. I don't know if he intended that concept to have spiritual implications but that's how I view it. When we are sensitive enough to actually tap in to the collective unconscious and almost literally feel its presence, it's an amazing thing. I've only experienced it a few times (interestingly, usually during yoga).

Now if you want to apply religious labels to this idea and consider this connection we all share to one another as "god", more power to you. I guess you could call it that in so far as that is our real natural state and we should try and move closer and closer to really feeling that bond with one another.

There are some religious folks who believe that Hell isn't really a lake of fire with a guy in a red suit poking at you for all eternity. Instead they feel that Hell is the eternal separation from God's presence or Grace. Could it be that with this idea that our natural state of Grace being a shared connection with one another, that Hell would actually be being separated, truly isolated from our siblings in Humanity, not able to tap in to that collective unconsciousness?

Then, I put to you that the Catholic Church and all its cohorts who try to make gays feel sub human, unworthy of being considered equal to everyone else, are actually doing the work of the Devil. They're trying to say, "you are not a part of the human race". They are trying to prevent us from feeling like we are part of that great ocean of humanity even though that is actually our natural state That's why I believe what they're doing is so wrong.

Nevermind their moronic voodoo rituals or hierarchy. They're evil because they're trying to separate us from the rest of humanity.

by Anonymousreply 7302/27/2012

An LGBT mass?? I've never heard of anything so stupid. Do they give the Eucharist? Why doesn't the self loathing hate monger priest call it what it is: singles night. Lemme guess, there's a special under 16 night too? "Boys get in free with their parents waiver of right to sue!"

by Anonymousreply 7502/28/2012

The mass for LGBTs in Chicago is called AGLO

[quote] We, the members of the Archdiocesan Gay and Lesbian Outreach, as people of God, create a sense of community for those who wish to reconcile their sexual orientation with their faith; provide an accepting and affirming atmosphere in which to worship in the Catholic tradition; provide opportunities for integration of personal experience through spiritual growth; share our distinctive gifts with each other and the Church at large, and witness our Catholic faith to the gay and lesbian community.

by Anonymousreply 7602/28/2012

I'm not Catholic, but over the past couple weeks I've listened with interest to a lot of radio call-in shows that discussed the insurance/contraception controversy, plus Santorum's remarks about religion, etc. What I've found striking is the number of people who call in and identify themselves as Catholic or even "devout" Catholics, but then pick apart the things they DON'T believe in about the church (i.e. they don't agree with the church about birth control, homosexuality, even abortion; they don't believe that "some man over in Rome can tell me what to do" or they believe "in a personal relationship with God, rather than what the church tells me." On and on.) What I find strange is that many of these "Catholics" are espousing Protestant beliefs. I'm suprised more of them haven't left the Catholic church for a Protestant denomination that fits their own particular beliefs. Because listening to many of these callers, I'm convinced that many American Catholics are actually Protestants at heart...they just don't realize it.

by Anonymousreply 7702/28/2012

I wonder what this Ka-ween of a priest would have to say

by Anonymousreply 7802/28/2012

[quote]and witness our Catholic faith to the gay and lesbian community.

Cram it, churchy.

by Anonymousreply 7902/28/2012

They actually believe they are eating and drinking Jesus?

That is really FUCKING TWISTED!!!!

by Anonymousreply 8002/28/2012

urf

by Anonymousreply 8202/28/2012

A divorced person is not allowed to receive Communion. When a parishoner publicly questioned why New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, who's divorced and lives with Sandra Lee without the benefit of marriage receives Communion, the local Bishop gave a long response which added up to "it's none of your business."

by Anonymousreply 8302/28/2012

[quote]end up coming back "home" because everything else just feels phony, like a cheap imitation of the real thing.

So a never-ending pedo priest scandal and Miss Red Prada Pumps popess in Rome does NOT seem cheap and tawdry to you?????

MARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 8402/28/2012

ridiculous

by Anonymousreply 8502/28/2012

Catholic apologists creep me out.

by Anonymousreply 8602/28/2012

[quote] I openly support the LGBT mass (sanctioned by my archdiocese, btw) on Sunday nights with my attendance and dollars and tell others about it.

[quote]6-I deprive the Vatican of my dollars by giving only locally to targeted programs of my parish.

A mass for gays is not sanctioned by your archdiocese. Either the top queens don't know about it, or they look the other way. Most likely the latter. But under no circumstances is it 'sanctioned', I guarantee.

You do not have the power to 'deprive the vatican' of your dollars. And you say you support the LGBT mass with your dollars. You don't see the contradiction here? How do you know the $$ you contribute doesn't go to the vatican?

by Anonymousreply 8702/28/2012

[quote]Why do non Catholics feel they have a right to tell Catholics what their religious beliefs should be and what their church must do?

I was raised catholic, went to catholic schools, etc. Nobody is telling catholics what their beliefs should be or what their church must do. Some of us are rightly pointing out the rank hypocrisy and complete fallacy behind many of the key points used to fleece the masses.

by Anonymousreply 8802/28/2012

From Reuters in 2008:

[quote]Pope Benedict said on Monday that saving humanity from homosexual or transsexual behavior was just as important as saving the rainforest from destruction.

I can certainly see why you gay Catholics are so drawn to this cult. The popess has been hatin' on you for years but you still show up every Sunday AND pretend that YOUR parish church is different from the one in Rome. And you delude yourself into thinking you can keep your donations to your church away from miss thing in rome.

HUGE MARY!!!!

by Anonymousreply 8902/28/2012

The bible also says that unicorns exist and that we should burn witches, r81.

by Anonymousreply 9002/28/2012

another HUGE MARY?

the pope himself.

gay as f-in christmas; self-loathing ass.

by Anonymousreply 9102/28/2012

All I wanted was one of those delicious, crispy crackers.

by Anonymousreply 9202/28/2012

R39, you made me tear up. You expressed the issue perfectly. I love Jesus with all my heart, and hate Paul for corporatizing what had been a beautiful communion between Christ and his people.

And paraphrasing Jeremiah Wright, God DAMN the men who deliberately left out of the Bible those books (Thomas, for example) that deal with the mystical soul+to-soul personal connection of Christ to his believers.

I left my lifelong church when they selected a whoremongering, serial cheating man as pastor. A man who rails against homosexuals, unbelievers, non-Christians, and everything EXCEPT adultery. A man who tells us Jesus changed the water to something like grape KooL-Aid, not wine. Because wine is baaad. That was 30 years ago, and I never regretted it.

God created the earth, its natural resources, animals, and man. In that order. Thus he created a family wedded to the earth and to one another. We are to be good stewards of his creation.

The earth is my church, and every creature in it is my family. And, yes, Jesus loves me. This I know. Fuck all that other noise.

by Anonymousreply 9302/28/2012

false equivalency.

by Anonymousreply 9502/28/2012

The Archdiocese of Washington has released the following statement:

“In matters of faith and morals, the Church has the responsibility of teaching and of bringing the light of the Gospel message to the circumstances of our day. When questions arise about whether or not an individual should present themselves for communion, it is not the policy of the Archdiocese of Washington to publicly reprimand the person. Any …issues regarding the suitability of an individual to receive communion should be addressed by the priest with that person in a private, pastoral setting.

The archdiocese is looking into the incident at a funeral Mass that was celebrated by Fr. Marcel Guarnizo and will handle this as a personnel issue.”

Brie Hall Communications Manager Archdiocese of Washington

by Anonymousreply 9602/28/2012

R93, it's a nice feel good fairy tale you're telling yourself that Jesus was only all about love, compassion and understanding. Not so. He's very clear in his requirement that you follow his/God's commandments.

Jesus said in John 15:10

"If you keep my commandments, you shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love".

Thou shalt not....."

Sounds a lot like judgement to me.

by Anonymousreply 9702/28/2012

What about the unicorns and witches?

by Anonymousreply 9802/28/2012

The AGLO mass in Chicago is sanctioned by the Chicago archdiocese because they control it. There used be a Gay Catholic group in Chicago called "Dignity" that held a weekly mass in a Catholic church. Eventually they were kicked out of that church because they didn't accept the Catholic policy on homosexuality. For a long time, the powers-that-be looked the other way, but they finally laid down the law. Dignity moved to a Protestant church in Boyztown where they have their services. Then AGLO was created, under the control of the Archdiocese. The priests are gay, the congregation is gay, but it seems to me there is something wrong when you're patronizing an organization that considers you sinful if you are not celebate. And it is also the cruisiest place in town on a Sunday evening.

by Anonymousreply 10002/28/2012

I'm Catholic, but that is disgusting of that priest. Probably in the closet???? I hope the family didn't give him or the church any monetary contribution. They ought to make a huge fuss, throw a huge fit, etc., etc. Absolutely outrageous.

by Anonymousreply 10102/28/2012

No, we really do "get you" because many of us used to be just like you, until we did our research and got sensible. It's just too much to be an out gay person and continue to follow an organization that has declared war on us, while being puppeteered by closeted cases and pedos.

It's not attacking you to try and make you see the glaring hypocrisy. It's totally your choice if you want to stick your head deeper in the sand, clinging to the idea of the 'one true church'. Which it is clearly not. It's the meme they use to justify their own crimes.

One question: why does the vatican run a bank?

by Anonymousreply 10202/28/2012

"why does the vatican run a bank?"

Hon, when you have billions of dollars flowing in from all over the world, you don't stuff it in a mattress.

And yes, I hate the Catholic Church with the power of a thousand suns.

by Anonymousreply 10302/28/2012

Same reason the US goverment runs a bank.

by Anonymousreply 10402/28/2012

Because that's where the money is?

by Anonymousreply 10502/28/2012

huh

by Anonymousreply 10702/28/2012

r93, Jesus said "I come not to bring peace, but to bring a sword."

Didja know that? Or, if you were raised catholic (like I was), you probably never learned that, because instead of reading/studying the bible you were taught to obey. And you were probably taught that jesus was like this rilly nice cool guy, and the church mostly helps the poor.

Am I right?

by Anonymousreply 10802/28/2012

sad, r109. that's ALL you got?

by Anonymousreply 11002/28/2012

[quote]People act like the Catholic church is the only anti-gay church in the US!

where'd that come from? People here point out hypocrisy, especially with regards to gay people. Remember Ted Haggard? If the catholic church wasn't winning the hypocrisy contest they wouldn't be getting so much attention here.

by Anonymousreply 11102/28/2012

'Amazing they continue their douchey and unChristian behavior even at a time when they need better press.''

Yeah - that is totally it. Crazy. So isolated in their hubris, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 11202/28/2012

Well maybe it wasn't because she was a lesbian but rather a very angry, hostile bull-duke. Can you blame the poor guy???

by Anonymousreply 11402/28/2012

Weird how the most interesting, intelligent and level-headed posts here are from Catholics. The rest is just immature name-calling with your Marys, popesses, pradas, that wouldn't be out of place in a children's playground.

My question is why did the woman present herself for communion when she's not even Cstholic or living a Catholic lifestyle?

by Anonymousreply 11502/28/2012

I've trolldarred R109 and I plan to FF every fucking post she makes.

it's all in the finger action.

by Anonymousreply 11602/28/2012

[quote]Why do non Catholics feel they have a right to tell Catholics what their religious beliefs should be and what their church must do? Would you walk unit a synog with a ham sandwich? Would you go to a strict mosque and tell the leaders that they must allow women in, without burqas?

This continues to baffle me. Obsession with what is essentially a minority religion in America (usually latching onto actions by a minority of it's clergy) when Protestants are much more overt and explicit in their hatred of homosexuals.

by Anonymousreply 11702/28/2012

[quote]I've trolldarred [R109] and I plan to FF every fucking post she makes.

it's all in the finger action.

by Anonymousreply 11802/28/2012

r115/117 would seem more trolldar-worthy...

by Anonymousreply 11902/29/2012

ooooh, hall monitor R116 is taking names. Everybody watch out. She's going to tell the teacher.

by Anonymousreply 12002/29/2012

Bishop of Brooklyn, Francis Mugavero who died in 1991, allowed Dignity to meet until he was told by Archbishop John Cardinal O'Connor to kick them out. It was known in church circles that Mugavero was gay. A priest on his staff was his partner.

by Anonymousreply 12102/29/2012

What's your point r121? That many priests are gay? That Dignity gets booted out of catholic churches? That Mugavero is a hypocrite?

by Anonymousreply 12202/29/2012

yes?

by Anonymousreply 12302/29/2012

R117, Catholics govern the country. In the US the ultimate government is the Supreme Court, whose members serve for life and it decides all Constitutional questions, including, in 2000, who the president should be. Of 9 individuals thus governing our land, 6 are Roman Catholic. It is certain justifiable to attack this monstrous situation.

by Anonymousreply 12402/29/2012

R124- Your statement is not only ridiculous, but it is blatantly discriminatory. If we follow your logic, a gay judge will always vote for gays, regardless of the legality of the issues; black judges will only support black litigants and disregard the law, etc. Politicians will only support their race, religion and screw the constituents. Isn't that what Kennedy's critics said about him?

You're really enlightened.

by Anonymousreply 12502/29/2012

Unfortunately our politicians in 2012 are much more like Santorum than Kennedy.

by Anonymousreply 12602/29/2012

r124: Scalia, Kennedy and Thomas were the only Catholics on the SCOTUS bench in 2000. And Kennedy is only nominally Catholic. He was in the plurality of Planned Parenthood v. Casey.

by Anonymousreply 12702/29/2012

r122, O'Connor was fearful the bishop would outed.

by Anonymousreply 12802/29/2012

I know plenty of pro-choice, pro-gay Catholics. They're totally limited to the pews and not the party-line regurgitators found in this thread, though.

by Anonymousreply 12902/29/2012

Elena Kagan won't recuse herself when the Healthcare case comes before the court. How can Elena be impartial when she helped create the plan and represented Obama?

by Anonymousreply 13002/29/2012

That doesn't change the fact that Catholics govern the country now R127.

by Anonymousreply 13102/29/2012

I'm a big obama supporter but I do hope the healthcare reform bill is struck down. I think that might have been his plan all along.

The court cannot possibly find it constitutional that the government can FORCE people to buy something. Especially something as extortionate as private health insurance. Health care is a public concern, and it needs to be publicly financed.

Single payer financing through taxes is the only solution. Getting all young/healthy in the same risk pool as Medicare recipients is the only way to rein in costs.

by Anonymousreply 13202/29/2012

So how do you feel about car insurance, r132?

by Anonymousreply 13303/01/2012

troll-dar

by Anonymousreply 13503/01/2012

r133, the license to drive a car is a privilege granted by the state. To me, requiring a commercial insurance policy makes sense in this context. The mandate is based on another condition. You can opt out by choosing not to buy/operate a vehicle.

Mandated health insurance is predicated on the fact of being alive. There is no opt-out. There's no 'consideration' (in the legal sense): You *have* to buy it. It's a gift for insurance companies. I can't see how the supreme court would uphold this.

by Anonymousreply 13603/01/2012

The Catholic deflector is the funniest one yet.

"It's all about the Protestants!!"

Dude, look in the mirror.

by Anonymousreply 13703/01/2012

So, how many of you gay Catholics plan to vote for Santorum?

by Anonymousreply 13803/01/2012

r134, get help for your jew-hating. The comments here about catholicism are mostly pointing out the hypocrisy. You can't stand it, so you play that age-old card: Blame the Jews.

Is your name Mel by any chance?

by Anonymousreply 13903/01/2012

Ha!

by Anonymousreply 14003/01/2012

Our hometown priest was a goodlooking guy with the creepiest name -- Father Hands. And when it was made public knowledge, the Catholic church put him under "church arrest" (what the hell is that anyway) until he downloaded kiddie porn on the church computer. Here's my concept -- these guys go into the priesthood for a very good reason. If they're gay, or child molesters, they want to lead a celibate life. But it doesn't always work out for them.

by Anonymousreply 14103/01/2012

All Catholic defenders, especially gay ones, sicken me to the core of my being.

by Anonymousreply 14203/01/2012

If they're gay OR CHILD MOLESTERS?

I don't think you meant to imply those 2 things are the same, but it kind of sounds that way....

by Anonymousreply 14303/02/2012

I hate to be obtuse, but you can't be a practicing Roman Catholic and a practicing Lesbian at the same time. Makes about as much sense as a Jew trying to join the Nazi party. Join a different church, BEFORE this kind of thing happens. Jeez

by Anonymousreply 14403/02/2012

I think I get what R141 is trying to say, he just communicated it poorly. I agree with him that 'some' people who are self loathing about their sexual orientation, no matter what it may be (towards the same sex or kids), tend to be drawn to the priesthood thinking/hoping a vow of celibacy will keep them from acting on their desires.

by Anonymousreply 14503/02/2012

Ah, except if you re-read it that poster says this:

"...these guys go into the priesthood for a very good reason. If they're gay, or child molesters, they want to lead a celibate life."

Which implies that if you are gay, it would be "very good" to try to be celibate.

by Anonymousreply 14603/02/2012

I was sorry I couldn't attend my niece's wedding...until I found out the name of the priest who was going to officiate, a sick vicious lazy thieving scumbag.

by Anonymousreply 14703/02/2012

[quote] It will be around forever. Jesus said so himself....

OHHHHHHH! In THAT case! Why didn't you tell us?

by Anonymousreply 14803/02/2012

[quote]Then AGLO was created, under the control of the Archdiocese. The priests are gay, the congregation is gay...

Jesus Christ! Can you imagine a bigger collection of dented cans, and damaged goods if you tried!?

by Anonymousreply 14903/02/2012

Yes I can, R149. It's called a DignityUSA meeting.

by Anonymousreply 15003/02/2012

Dignity are less damaged. AGLO people accept celibacy as a lifelong requirement.

by Anonymousreply 15103/02/2012

There's NO WAY they are able to remain celibate.

by Anonymousreply 15203/02/2012

So why do they allow AGLO and not Dignity?

Do the AGLO people have to agree to the basic catholic teaching that gays are 'disordered' and 'intrinsically evil' (to use Prada Pope Mary's terms)?

by Anonymousreply 15303/03/2012

I am yet a Catholic defender and an old pretender.

by Anonymousreply 15403/04/2012

You weren't when I had you James Francis Edward Stuart

by Anonymousreply 15503/04/2012

omlord!

by Anonymousreply 15603/04/2012
Need more help? Click Here.