Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

When's Facebook Going To Make EVERYONE Use The Timeline?

I thought they already did, but there are still tons of people who have the old setup. Not fair! Timeline sucks.

by Anonymousreply 11311/28/2012

I'm still a holdout (so far).

by Anonymousreply 102/26/2012

I FB but I religiously, for the past three years, have deleted all of my postings after 30 days. It seems that FB does not want to admit it has all of my old info or it actually deleted when I requested.

I have no info to timeline.

by Anonymousreply 302/26/2012

Shhh. They haven't noticed that I'm not on Timeline yet.

by Anonymousreply 402/26/2012

I don't want Timeline. May delete my account if forced to go that route.

by Anonymousreply 502/26/2012

What's Timelime?

by Anonymousreply 602/26/2012

The whole business about telling the story of your life that they're promoting seems weirdly narcissistic, not to mention completely unattractive.

by Anonymousreply 702/26/2012

[quote]I don't want Timeline. May delete my account if forced to go that route.

by Anonymousreply 802/26/2012

The very nature of social media is narcissistic, so who cares at the end of the day?

by Anonymousreply 902/26/2012

It's just the opposite, r7. Whenever I see a profile with the old format, it looks so ugly. At least Timeline is attractively designed.

by Anonymousreply 1002/26/2012

I like timeline

by Anonymousreply 1102/27/2012

Hate timeline, and will not convert willingly. It's too much like MySpace.

by Anonymousreply 1202/27/2012

[quote]They offered it to me but also said I didn't have to "convert" if I didn't want to...

Really? Their exact quote that it was now mandatory.

by Anonymousreply 1302/27/2012

Nope. The choice was:

"switch to Timeline" (push this button)

"stay with current format" (push this button)

I chose the latter.

by Anonymousreply 1402/27/2012

Thank God I'm not being forced to do the Timeline. As it is, I hate going on other's page who've already switched and it' an eyesore and a headache to navigate.

by Anonymousreply 1502/27/2012

My choies were something like "Get Timeline" or "Not Now". I chose the latter.

I don't navigating on the pages with Timeline and I think the main picture takes up way too much space.

I'm sure one day I'll sign on and FB will have switched me to Timeline without my permission.

by Anonymousreply 1602/27/2012

Deleted two months ago and haven't missed it at all. Hearing the same from a lot of people. Facebook is absolutely pernicious, and if you care about your privacy deleting is the only option.

by Anonymousreply 1702/27/2012

I love the Timeline. It's a work of art - letting you put pictures on it. Now I find when I look at people's FB with the old format, it looks ugly.

by Anonymousreply 1902/27/2012

It's cute how people think they can delete Facebook.

by Anonymousreply 2002/27/2012

I recall an "offer" from FB that said, in so many words, Do you want to try Timeline now? You might as well because we're going to switch all of you to it very soon.

However, several friends quickly posted on FB that they "tried" Timeline and disliked it, but couldn't switch back. So I held off.

That was around four months ago, I think. I still have the old format for now.

by Anonymousreply 2102/27/2012

They are converting everyone over the next few weeks regardless of how you feel about it. My brother and his kids had their accounts converted without asking so it is happening.

by Anonymousreply 2202/27/2012

I really don't see the big deal about timeline. It's just a different (and better) layout.

by Anonymousreply 2302/27/2012

Clusterfuck. The whole site.

by Anonymousreply 2402/27/2012

My take on it is that it looks more like a newspaper layout, but it's harder to see what peole are doing; I prefer the chronological style of the old profile, with stuff on either side.

by Anonymousreply 2502/27/2012

I hate it. I'd be curious to know what you think is better about it, R23.

by Anonymousreply 2602/27/2012

by Anonymousreply 2702/27/2012

With Timeline will I still be able to access the chats I've had with friends? Also, is there any way to print the chats?

by Anonymousreply 2802/27/2012

r23, it shows everything you ever posted. They give you a couple of days to delete shit, and then you're stuck. Come on. Who the hell need this crap to begin with?

Amazon, eBay, Youtube, and Facebook, just do everything in their power to turn users off. I don't know what they're thinking. How dumb.

by Anonymousreply 2902/27/2012

Why would you need to delete stuff you've already posted?

Still not seeing the issue.

by Anonymousreply 3002/27/2012

What if you don't want your boss or coworkers to see that you got double penetrated in 2009? You gotta delete that. Are you saying you can't now with Timeline???

by Anonymousreply 3102/28/2012

[quote]What if you don't want your boss or coworkers to see that you got double penetrated in 2009?

If they can see it in Timeline, why couldn't they have seen it before Timeline? The privacy and filtering options aren't changing.

by Anonymousreply 3202/28/2012

exactly r32.

by Anonymousreply 3302/28/2012

I don't know why they are tinkering with the formula right before the IPO. It's turning a lot of people off.

I haven't logged into FB since before the holidays so I don't know what my information looks like. I post so seldomly, mainly just comment on others' posts, that I should probably just de-activate my account.

by Anonymousreply 3402/28/2012

Sheesh. I haven't started using regular Facebook yet.

by Anonymousreply 3502/28/2012

Everybody's timeline is so active in 2009, then falls off.

by Anonymousreply 3602/28/2012

[quote] it shows everything you ever posted. They give you a couple of days to delete shit, and then you're stuck. Come on. Who the hell need this crap to begin with?

Where are you getting this from? I switched to timeline months ago and I just checked, I can delete anything posted on my timeline from as far back as 2008 when I joined. And as others have noted, it doesn't really change anything except layout. All those posts are still available on your wall now.

by Anonymousreply 3802/28/2012

It's a worse format. Too much clutter.

by Anonymousreply 3902/28/2012

by Anonymousreply 4002/29/2012

I like it because I feel like I can "finish" it and just leave it there. Having the pictures I want displayed, of travels or whatever, and then that damned thing isn't as obviously sitting there with no chatter. Then it's like an email address with an advertising website attached - and finally I'm done with it except checking for messages.

by Anonymousreply 4103/11/2012

March 14th is the day. I don't want it.

by Anonymousreply 4203/11/2012

Wow, you all are a bunch of pussies.

by Anonymousreply 4303/11/2012

Timeline makes my life seem more boring than it really is, which is something of an accomplishment.

by Anonymousreply 4403/11/2012

I hated the old Facebook - I never could figure it out - so I switched as soon as I was able. I might hate Timeline too, but I'll see if I use the site more before I decide.

by Anonymousreply 4503/11/2012

R45, what didn't you "get" about Facebook? It seems pretty self-explanatory to me.

by Anonymousreply 4603/11/2012

The message on my page says on March 17 my timeline will be public. I've been deleting old posts in anticipation.

by Anonymousreply 4703/11/2012

My pages (I admin several for businesses) all say March 30.

by Anonymousreply 4803/11/2012

I hate Timeline.

I want to delete my account, but I need a FB account because I'm the administrator for all the social media for my job.

Last week I switched our page over to Timeline because FB told me I had to. My boss called me in the office and was nastier to me than he's ever been for "fucking up" our page. He didn't even let me explain why I did it and how we really have no choice.

From a marketing standpoint, Timeline looks to be a mess, though other social networking people have told me its working for their business.

Whatever, it still got me in a shit ton of trouble.

by Anonymousreply 4903/11/2012

I hate timeline, too. When I switched, very early on, there was a button/message on my wall that said something like: "Check out what Timeline looks like," and it sounded like I could just see it. It did not indicate I was switching to it.

But then as soon as I clicked on it, I had switched, and it wouldn't let me go back. And I fucking hate it. It's been a few months now, and basically I've gone through it and deleted everything possible.

And I'd delete my whole FB account except that I need it for work and I like having this kind of easy communication with a small number of people I had lost contact with but who were very important to me at some point in my life.

I just don't understand why FB doesn't give a shit how people feel about their product. They have this "fuck you, we'll do what we want" attitude.

Yes, they have a monopoly right now, but don't they remember My Space? Someone will come along with a more accommodating interface one day, and FB will be left in their dust.

by Anonymousreply 5003/11/2012

Does anyone know what r41 is babbling about.

by Anonymousreply 5103/12/2012

I'm R41 and I guess I'm the only one who likes the Timeline, but I feel it's aesthetically very pleasing, compared to the other one. I don't feel compelled to keep adding stuff so it won't look like my life is static. My page is busy - filled with photographs, organized the way I want, and a few comments, that I'm happy to leave there forever, and I don't feel embarrassed or worried about "updating" anymore.

Maybe that's really weird - but it's just the way I feel. I think the big picture at the top, with the small profile picture to the left - and the many displayed pictures throughout (if you want it that way) - I think it can be very beautiful. A lot of people have told me they love to look at my Facebook page because of the outdoor scenes and artwork and statues and gardens, etc. It's been a joy to fiddle with it to get it just so - and now I don't care if anybody says anything else to me on the thing (and I like that the comments sort of disappear under the photos anyway, so even if they do comment, they don't destroy the look you spent a long time to achieve.

Mostly I converse through the private message option which is the way I like it anyway.

by Anonymousreply 5203/18/2012

R52 gets it

by Anonymousreply 5303/18/2012

The other day, I got a notice on my FB page asking if I would like to switch to the Timeline format. I clicked "No." It was easy.

by Anonymousreply 5403/18/2012

If you think timeline is aesthetically pleasing, I am sorry to inform you that you are blind.

by Anonymousreply 5503/18/2012

I totally love the Timeline and I'm not r52. Most of my friends have switched, and everyone seems to like it as well.

I think it's MUCH more attractive visually, and I like having a "cover" shot to make a statement - one of the things I missed from the old, OLD FB was being able to put a chose statement up at the top and keep it there as long as you wanted.

I think everything about it is a vast improvement over the most recent FB update.

I can't imagine what you cranky old queens are getting so worked up about.

by Anonymousreply 5603/18/2012

R55, maybe you need some help from someone with artistic or design talent. Timeline can be absolutely breathtakingly beautiful - or crappy, depending on your creativity (or lack thereof.)

by Anonymousreply 5703/18/2012

Uh, no r57. It's Facebook, not a fucking Geocities website. You sound crazy.

by Anonymousreply 5803/18/2012

You sound bitter, r58. What's the matter, haven't you been able to figure it out yet?

by Anonymousreply 5903/18/2012

So , most of you hate it. But is your usage of that site actually decreasing? Because if you just take it and keep going, FB takes it as your approval.

by Anonymousreply 6003/18/2012

It makes no sense for a grown man to use Facebook. I mean, get a life.

by Anonymousreply 6103/18/2012

What happened to groups? Are the gone? Are they now all "likes"?

Honestly I hate the timeline, too. It's impossible to follow.

by Anonymousreply 6204/04/2012

The day has arrived. Clusterfuck.

by Anonymousreply 6304/04/2012

"Breathtakingly beautiful," R57? You sound like a complete fucking loser.

by Anonymousreply 6404/04/2012

Mine flipped over to Timeline and the only thing I did to my Facebook was add a big horizontal picture. Was I supposed to do something different now that I have Timeline?

by Anonymousreply 6504/04/2012

I'm still a holdout

by Anonymousreply 6604/04/2012

One weekend a few years ago I was real sick. It was uncomfortable lying down so I sat at my computer and, bored out of my mind, went post by post through FB and removed/deleted EVERYTHING that was posted by me on every page I could find.

GAD it was exhausting but eventually I got it down to a single page wall. Since then I've removed every post or link over 30 days.

There is nothing to move to timeline and I retain the old format.

by Anonymousreply 6704/04/2012

Still a lot of people without Timeline. Guess it wasn't so mandatory after all.

by Anonymousreply 6805/01/2012

I'm seeing more and more people being switched over. I'm still a holdout.

by Anonymousreply 6905/01/2012

I hate Timeline and hate how it looks on other people's account. I haven't switched and so far haven't been forced to. I'll consider deleting when it happens.

I don't mind Facebook since I just look at the pictures and try to ignore the deranged political ramblings of a couple others. I make sure I never click on polls and click if you love Jesus or you want this baby live and get a transplant or any of other stuff put out there so some advertiser can have access to everything you've ever posted.

But the site is run like a dictatorship. Why can't you have a choice with how you want things laid out? You have to try to keep on top of all the new changes which always seem to be about getting more crappy advertisers to reach you. I already have 4 to 10 calls a day from charities and robocalls from politician. I just know Facebook is inching towards that goal. In a way, Facebook is a little bit evil. So no to Timeline.

by Anonymousreply 7005/01/2012

I got off Facebook and I feel FREE! Absolutely FREE!

by Anonymousreply 7105/01/2012

I was automatically switched last Saturday. With it was a note that said May 6th would be the day everyone is switched.

by Anonymousreply 7205/01/2012

by Anonymousreply 7305/01/2012

I still have a bunch of friends who don't have the timeline..

by Anonymousreply 7405/16/2012

july 9 & still not using timeline... just lucky i guess ;)

by Anonymousreply 7507/10/2012

For whatever reason, FB never forcibly switched me to Timeline. I am still on the old format.

by Anonymousreply 7607/10/2012

ayee did you guys know they are going to end facebook on july 15th 2012 ....!! the guy who owns facebook is going to end it

by Anonymousreply 7707/11/2012

LOL R77.

by Anonymousreply 7807/11/2012

They converted me over without my even giving them permission or asking for it. I hate it.

by Anonymousreply 7907/11/2012

Same here R79. One day I turned on my page and it was that new one. I hate it.

by Anonymousreply 8007/11/2012

I still have the old format, also--I thought everyone was going to be switched over in March, but never happened for whatever reason.

by Anonymousreply 8107/11/2012

I still have the old format. Don't click on the button that invites you to see how the Timeline looks. Once you look at it, it won't let you go back.

by Anonymousreply 8207/13/2012

God, ladies, just get over it. Timeline is fine once you get used to it. And trust me, no one gives a shit about you to go back and read it all anyway. (Plus, they still can anyway, even if you are on the old layout.)

by Anonymousreply 8307/14/2012

Oh no with timeline ppl are gonna know how ancient I am

by Anonymousreply 8407/14/2012

R82- I never clicked on that link and I still got timeline. One day I turned on the computer and there it was. I do agree with R83- I got use to it. I didn't want it at first but once I adjusted to it, it's fine.

by Anonymousreply 8507/14/2012

[quote]Oh no with timeline ppl are gonna know how ancient I am

I don't care if people know my age as long as my birthday doesn't show. That's an important piece of info for anyone wanting to hack your accounts.

by Anonymousreply 8607/14/2012

I'm still on the old format, and it doesn't even ask anymore if I want the new one or warn me that it's going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 8707/14/2012

You may get used to timeline but that doesn't mean it isn't cluttered and much more difficult to read. It also takes forever to load if you're on a phone or a slower machine.

by Anonymousreply 8807/14/2012

I still got the old format, too. I'm kinda proud actually. All of my friends have switched.

by Anonymousreply 8907/14/2012

You can hide your birthday/date of birth. It is recommended to do so.

I admit, I only make it visible the day before my birthday so that I wake up to a wall full of birthday wishes. I'm that needy. Then I hide it again for the rest of the year.

by Anonymousreply 9007/14/2012

On timeline you don't seem to be able to see other people's friends (only mutual ones.) How are we supposed to shop for fix ups?

by Anonymousreply 9107/15/2012

[quote] Thank God I'm not being forced to do the Timeline.

Is that this generation's dance? Is is at all similar to the Time Warp?

by Anonymousreply 9207/15/2012

Timeline is impossible to read. I like to read everything in a linear fashion all the way down. I don't want to have to shift right then left then right. I get dizzy this way. Can you imagine if DL posts were not set in a linear up and down fashion and we have to read posts scattered all over the page?!?

by Anonymousreply 9307/15/2012

Amen, R91. I still got the old format and I get a headache when I go to a friend's page.

by Anonymousreply 9407/15/2012

[quote] I thought everyone was going to be switched over in March, but never happened for whatever reason.

Gee, you think Facebook may have lied to you?

by Anonymousreply 9507/15/2012

[quote]I get dizzy this way.

Uh huh.

by Anonymousreply 9607/15/2012

A friend got a notice that August 7th would be the day she will be switched over. I got it months ago not by choice. Went to FB and timeline was already there. Not so bad once you get use to it.

by Anonymousreply 9708/03/2012

[quote]On timeline you don't seem to be able to see other people's friends (only mutual ones.) How are we supposed to shop for fix ups?

That's an individual privacy setting. You can choose to let everyone see all your friends or only mutual.

My friends list is hidden only because I don't want people to know how few I have *sob*.

by Anonymousreply 9808/03/2012

I've posted on facebook about 10 times over the past five years and don't follow anyone/anything. My timeline sure isn't going to interest anyone.

by Anonymousreply 9908/03/2012

Mine is happening the 13th and it's a fucking mess. Can everyone see it?

by Anonymousreply 10008/06/2012

I'm being forced next week according to a message that Came on my screen. It is so not fair.

by Anonymousreply 10208/15/2012

I got forced it looks like shit.

The timelines shit looks like a 4 year old with adhd threw random info across my page.

It doesn't look professional at all.

Its slightly better than the new myspace.

by Anonymousreply 10308/15/2012

I got a message that I'm being switched over on 8/22. Right now I have a preview of it. It looks like crap!

by Anonymousreply 10408/15/2012

I hated the idea of it, now that it's mandatory, I really like it. The key is to have a good cover photo.

by Anonymousreply 10508/15/2012

They finally switched me over. Do I seriously have o back through 4 years of my "activity log" and delete every single individual fucking thing I've posted one by one if I don't want them to appear on my timeline? A lot of my posts were in a closed private medical group but they're all listed as being allowed for the timeline. I'm really tempted to just delete my profile.

by Anonymousreply 10608/24/2012

Really don't like it at all. I was switched yesterday without any notice. I have until 8/29 to make changes to the timeline -- after that, it's published as is, whether I'm okay with it or not.

by Anonymousreply 10708/24/2012

The key is to have a great covershot. Here's mine:

by Anonymousreply 10808/24/2012

So, I went through and deleted nearly everything from my activity log. What a waste of fucking time. I'm never going to post anything again; I'll just use it to message people I otherwise don't have contact with.

by Anonymousreply 10908/25/2012

I got switched on Tuesday. I hate the Timeline format.

by Anonymousreply 11008/25/2012

I'm being switched this week. FB has announced that all accounts will be transitioned over by September 1.

by Anonymousreply 11108/25/2012

They haven't made everyone use it yet. I just friended someone last night (9/13) and she's still on the old "wall" format. I personally like Timeline and switched to it a long time back. I love the larger photos.

by Anonymousreply 11209/14/2012

hyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy boysssssssssssssssssssssss

by Anonymousreply 11311/28/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!