Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Did Marilyn Monroe really say all those philosophical quotes?

I notice that the must fucked up of my female friends absolutely worship Marilyn Monroe, and are forever quoting her. What's up with that, and are all those quotes real??

by Anonymousreply 218May 2, 2020 12:57 AM

What philosophical quotes? We all don't live in your mind and know what you're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 1February 24, 2012 1:33 AM

One who is injured ought not to return the injury, for on no account can it be right to do an injustice; and it is not right to return an injury, or to do evil to any man, however much we have suffered from him.

- Marilyn Monroe

by Anonymousreply 2February 24, 2012 1:49 AM

"What philosophical quotes?"

She made a lot of comments on fame and being a star, but I don't consider them particularly "philosophical." She really was quite pretentious. She was uneducated but wanted people to think she was "smart", so she'd do things like be photographed reading books with the titles prominently displayed. In reality she was no reader. She really was a very shallow, uninteresting person. But her physical attributes generally bowled people over so much that they forgot about that and were dazzled by her.

by Anonymousreply 3February 24, 2012 1:51 AM

"Insane sects grow with the same rhythm as big organizations. It is the rhythm of total destruction."

- Marilyn Monroe

by Anonymousreply 4February 24, 2012 1:53 AM

"One who is injured ought not to return the injury, for on no account can it be right to do an injustice; and it is not right to return an injury, or to do evil to any man, however much we have suffered from him."

That's a "quote" from Marilyn Monroe?! If she actually said that, and I doubt that she did, then somebody must have written it for her to say when she wanted to make people think she was "profound." If she actually said that to someone I should think the listener would have had trouble keeping a straight face.

by Anonymousreply 5February 24, 2012 1:55 AM

"Metaphysics is a dark ocean without shores or lighthouse, strewn with many a philosophic wreck."

- Marilyn Monroe

by Anonymousreply 6February 24, 2012 1:55 AM

There was a whole lot of laughable revisionist history going on regarding Monroe's intellect in the years following her tragic death. The woman may have tried to learn and expand her horizons, but to suddenly pretend she was some great, deep and insightful thinker is simply ludicrous. She was obviously gifted on the physical level, but she was no Jeopardy winner, or Wheel of Fortune for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 7February 24, 2012 1:57 AM

the bitch at r1 didn't get the op reference!! How awful.

by Anonymousreply 8February 24, 2012 1:58 AM

"36D or not 36D. That is the question."

-- Marilyn Monroe

by Anonymousreply 9February 24, 2012 1:59 AM

She was smarter and more interesting than you think, R3.

by Anonymousreply 10February 24, 2012 1:59 AM

A life without adventure is likely to be unsatisfying, but a life in which adventure is allowed to take whatever form it will is sure to be short.

by Anonymousreply 11February 24, 2012 2:00 AM

The lyricism of marginality may find inspiration in the image of the 'outlaw,' the great social nomad, who prowls on the confines of a docile, frightened order.”

- Marilyn Monroe

by Anonymousreply 12February 24, 2012 2:03 AM

Well, the quote at R2 is just a gussied-up Golden Rule.

I hope she didn't write that.

What I do like are her witty quips during her photo ops:

"Miss Monroe, what were you wearing during the (notorious Playboy calendar) photo shoot?"

"Chanel No. 5."

"No, I mean what did you have on?"

"The radio."

by Anonymousreply 13February 24, 2012 2:05 AM

[quote]she'd do things like be photographed reading books with the titles prominently displayed

Er, no. It was a '50s-style joke, to photograph the dumb busty blonde reading Tolstoy or whatever. At photo shoots they'd hand her a copy of "Ulysses" or some other time.

The irony was that she was actually intellectually curious and did read contemporary and classic lit.

by Anonymousreply 14February 24, 2012 2:12 AM

"I am involved in a freedom ride protesting the loss of the minority rights belonging to the few remaining earthbound stars. All we demanded was our right to twinkle."

(Telegram from Marilyn Monroe declining a party invitation from Bobby and Ethel Kennedy. June 13, 1962.)

by Anonymousreply 15February 24, 2012 2:27 AM

Oh god, I love you guys.

by Anonymousreply 16February 24, 2012 2:50 AM

"What is frightening is the conjunction of massive technical power and the spiritual surrender to nihilism. A panic-stricken refusal to glance, even furtively, in the only direction where meaning could still be found dominates our intellectual life.”

- Marilyn Monroe

by Anonymousreply 17February 24, 2012 2:59 AM

Those quotes are baloney. She wasn't terribly bright, but to her credit she was attracted to people who were. Unfortunately she was used a lot.

PR folks probably made up those quotes. Or the company that owns the rights to her likeness.

by Anonymousreply 18February 24, 2012 3:08 AM

Please, God, don't let her have written that deep-dish tripe.

by Anonymousreply 19February 24, 2012 3:12 AM

It is certainly true that the particle and its fields are very useful mathematical concepts, unfortunately, they also cause many problems and paradoxes because they are approximations to reality and do not physically exist.

Were I to pursue physics instead of my first love, acting, I would attempt to solve these problems by understanding the reason for these discrete energy states, which are probably due to the fact that standing waves only exist at discrete frequencies. My theory would predict that energy exchanges will be discrete, as observed; the continuous e-m wave does not anticipate this.

But as I said, I want to be an actress.

- excerpt from a letter to Albert Einstein, 1945

by Anonymousreply 20February 24, 2012 3:13 AM

R20- LOL!

by Anonymousreply 21February 24, 2012 3:17 AM

R17-That is a quote from Rene Girard, I believe

by Anonymousreply 22February 24, 2012 3:23 AM

Is the endless parade of Marilyn Monroe licensed memorabilia ever going to end? I still see cheaply-made purses with her image on them, posters, etc at lots of stores. I wonder who's getting rich off them.

by Anonymousreply 23February 24, 2012 3:31 AM

R-4 Quote from Theodor Adorno not MM.

by Anonymousreply 24February 24, 2012 3:32 AM

Yeah, well, maybe this "Rene Girard" person is a fan of Marilyn Monroe.

by Anonymousreply 25February 24, 2012 3:34 AM

What did one tampon say to the other tampon?

Nothing, they were both stuck up bitches.

by Anonymousreply 26February 24, 2012 3:40 AM

What do you call a blonde with two brain cells?

Pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 27February 24, 2012 3:41 AM

R-25 Not likely.

by Anonymousreply 28February 24, 2012 3:42 AM

Did you hear about the gay security guard who got fired from his job at the sperm bank?

He got caught drinking on the job.

by Anonymousreply 29February 24, 2012 3:42 AM

The height of Marilyn Monroe's intellectual curiosity was marrying Arthur Miller, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 30February 24, 2012 3:51 AM

Intelligence manifests in many different ways. You don't have to be an astro-physicist or have a degree from Harvard to be intelligent.

MM was no dope. And if she appeared to be foolish at times, it was as much a result of other people's expectations of her as anything she did of her own volition.

by Anonymousreply 31February 24, 2012 4:16 AM

The usual approach of science of constructing a mathematical model cannot answer the questions of why there should be a universe for the model to describe. Why does the universe go to all the bother of existing?

Marilyn Monroe

by Anonymousreply 32February 24, 2012 4:30 AM

this is a fun thread

by Anonymousreply 33February 24, 2012 4:31 AM

Man what a bunch of assholes, mocking a much-maligned woman. Mysoginists, the lot of you.

by Anonymousreply 34February 24, 2012 4:48 AM

"War has always been the grand sagacity of every spirit which has grown too inward and too profound; its curative power lies even in the wounds one receives.

Also: do you think the president will ever divorce Jackie and marry me?"

--Marilyn Monroe, 1961, to Dag Hammerskjold

by Anonymousreply 35February 24, 2012 6:34 AM

"Out of damp and gloomy days, out of solitude, out of loveless words directed at us, conclusions grow up in us like fungus: one morning they are there, we know not how, and they gaze upon us, morose and gray. Woe to the thinker who is not the gardener but only the soil of the plants that grow in him. And what do I wear in bed? Why, Chanel No. 5, of course!”

--Marilyn Monroe, to an interviewer for Photoplay magazine, 1955

by Anonymousreply 36February 24, 2012 6:38 AM

Totalitarianism is never content to rule by external means, namely, through the state and a machinery of violence; thanks to its peculiar ideology and the role assigned to it in this apparatus of coercion, totalitarianism has discovered a means of dominating and terrorizing human beings from within.

- Marilyn Monroe

by Anonymousreply 37February 24, 2012 9:24 AM

All thought must, directly or indirectly, by way of certain characters, relate ultimately to intuitions, and therefore, with us, to sensibility, because in no other way can an object be given to us.

- Marilyn Monroe

by Anonymousreply 38February 24, 2012 9:54 AM

I like blue.

-Marilyn Monroe

by Anonymousreply 39February 24, 2012 10:27 AM

It's amazing to me that Marilyn Monroe found the time to write THE ORIGINS OF TOTALITARIANISM between the filming of "Some Like It Hot" and "Let's Make Love," but somehow she did.

by Anonymousreply 40February 24, 2012 7:12 PM

LMAO you people crack me up!

I meant stuff like this, which was posted by a facebook friend today:

“I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.”

by Anonymousreply 41February 25, 2012 12:06 AM

Ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny.

MM on the set of GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES in conversation with Jane Russell on embryological parallelism.

Jane's reply: I was about to say the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 42February 25, 2012 12:21 AM

I so did not see this coming, but I love you all, dearly. I had a really rough day and revisited this thread I created and you guys are the best. Not even remotely helpful, but, the best nonetheless. I love you bitches.

by Anonymousreply 43February 25, 2012 1:54 AM

According to Eli Wallach, she could go through/re-write a contract, like nobody's business.

by Anonymousreply 44February 25, 2012 2:58 AM

What a dumb bitch!

by Anonymousreply 45February 25, 2012 3:09 AM

"Does this dress make my butt look enormous? It does? GOOD!!!"

-Norma Jean

by Anonymousreply 46February 25, 2012 3:21 AM

"I love blinking"

by Anonymousreply 47February 25, 2012 3:23 AM

Why don't blondes use vibrators?

They chip their teeth.

- Marilyn Monroe

by Anonymousreply 48February 25, 2012 3:25 AM

A lot of the quotes posted aren't from MM. It's just posters having a good time posting random quotes and attributing them to her. But R41's is an actual MM quote. Also:

“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”

This particular quote has inspired Nicki Minaj's latest single. The first verse goes:

I can be selfish, get so impatient / Sometimes I feel like Marilyn Monroe / I'm insecure, yeah I make mistakes / Sometimes I feel like I'm at the end of the road / I can get low, I can get low / Don't know which way is up / I can get high, I can get high / Like I could never come down / Call it a curse or just call me blessed / If you can't handle my worst you ain't getting my best / Is this how Marilyn Monroe felt, felt, felt, felt? / Must be how Marilyn Monroe felt, felt, felt, felt

by Anonymousreply 49February 25, 2012 3:27 AM

Arthur Miller said she was smart.

by Anonymousreply 50February 25, 2012 3:29 AM

Oh god, is she the source of that quote at R49? ("If you can't handle me at my worst...") I see it get posted on Facebook walls all the time, and usually by people who seem to be trying to excuse their own awful crazy selfish behavior by talking about what a prize they are in reality or something...

by Anonymousreply 51February 25, 2012 3:34 AM

"E.

E equals MC squared.

Or the letter between D and F."

- Marilyn Monroe

by Anonymousreply 52February 25, 2012 4:42 AM

Ces grandes et éclatantes actions qui éblouissent les yeux sont représentées par les politiques comme les effets des grands desseins, au lieu que ce sont d'ordinaire les effets de l'humeur et des passions Ainsi la guerre d'Auguste et d'Antoine, qu'on rapporte à l'ambition qu'ils avaient de se rendre maîtres du monde, n'était peut-être qu'un effet de jalousie.

Marilyn Monroe

by Anonymousreply 53February 25, 2012 4:52 AM

If I remember correctly, the Lee Strasberg family owns her image.

by Anonymousreply 54February 25, 2012 4:57 AM

LOL! I love you all.

by Anonymousreply 55February 25, 2012 9:54 AM

Bump it up

by Anonymousreply 56February 25, 2012 1:24 PM

Rebump.

by Anonymousreply 57July 18, 2012 4:44 AM

OP, unless she is a fan of classic films she likes MM because of her looks. Call her out and she'll shut it.

by Anonymousreply 58July 18, 2012 4:58 AM

Marilyn was quite good at playing twisted characters, for instance, in Niagara and in Don't Bother to Knock.

by Anonymousreply 59July 18, 2012 5:01 AM

To the person who claims Marilyn never read books... I don't believe it. She was married to Arthur Miller and had a book of her own poetry published after her death. I don't know about the quotes though... when I read those they seem like recent quotes made up by teenage girls. But I've read some decent, witty Marilyn poetry.

by Anonymousreply 60November 18, 2012 9:05 PM

Marilyn Monroe did say all these things. She loved reading as strange it may seem to you! As i found out she was an avid reader.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61November 18, 2012 9:07 PM

I've seen Laurel Thatcher Ulrich's quote ("Well behaved women seldom make history") attributed to Monroe several times.

by Anonymousreply 62November 18, 2012 9:09 PM

* as strange as

by Anonymousreply 63November 18, 2012 9:09 PM

The first quote was from Socrates. She may have been reading back one of his lines but she never came UP with those lines on her own.

by Anonymousreply 64November 18, 2012 9:11 PM

In bourgeois society capital is independent and has individuality, while the living person is dependent and has no individuality.

-Marilyn Monroe

by Anonymousreply 65November 18, 2012 9:13 PM

“My illusions didn't have anything to do with being a fine actress, I knew how third rate I was. I could actually feel my lack of talent, as if it were cheap clothes I was wearing inside. But, my God, how I wanted to learn, to change, to improve!”

“I restore myself when I'm alone.” ― Marilyn Monroe

Subtle quotes of Marilyn~

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66November 18, 2012 9:26 PM

Anything Marilyn said that was intelligent was said after her death.

by Anonymousreply 67November 18, 2012 10:00 PM

The books she was reading at the time of her death were Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird and Captain Newman MD, a novel by Leo Rosten based on the life of Monroe’s psychiatrist, Ralph Greenson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68November 19, 2012 10:36 AM

[quote] The irony was that she was actually intellectually curious and did read contemporary and classic lit.

Oh honey, she couldn't even read her lines.

by Anonymousreply 69November 19, 2012 12:10 PM

She was photographed reading books but not one person who knew her recalls discussing Ulysses or any other tome with her. No one recalls, "Marilyn and I were having a conversation about Sartre when she was called to the set."

by Anonymousreply 70November 19, 2012 12:15 PM

I hate those snide comments some people made about Marilyn. You don't have to discuss a book you have read just for appearing to be clever or witty. Marilyn was shy, she was spiritual but shy and had a low self esteem despite the fact that she was a sex symbol. You can be sexy and amorous and you can be shy in other aspects of your life. She was messed up, insecure and certainly she was not stupid just because she had issues with her lines in movies. Marilyn Monroe was a complicated human being.

by Anonymousreply 71November 19, 2012 12:23 PM

Complicated, but no intellectual. Not a voracious reader of fine literature.

by Anonymousreply 72November 19, 2012 12:45 PM

Sounds like she ripped the quote at R2 from Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 73November 19, 2012 12:50 PM

Guys i beg you! Stop that! She was more humble than you might think and you trash her because she received much publicity. Press devoured Marilyn with praises and also by not so flattering comments. It wasn't her fault, that she was and still is in the spotlight. People care about her.

by Anonymousreply 74November 19, 2012 12:54 PM

She's dead, Jim

by Anonymousreply 75November 19, 2012 1:01 PM

R75, sugar i'll pinch your nose, stop being so cynical!

by Anonymousreply 76November 19, 2012 1:03 PM

I think it says a lot about young women that their hero is a woman that was famous for looking sexy, and made the barest of attempts at intellectualism.

All image, no substance.

by Anonymousreply 77November 19, 2012 1:13 PM

I'm not going to be Miss Monroe's lawyer guys, no matter how hard you try to piss me off! Lol! BUT i have to say that i'm convinced that she had substance. She was just unstable and desperate most of the time, but she had many glimpses of wisdom and not all people have them! How can you say that she had no substance? Haven't you seen her performance in 'The Misfits'? Are you blind?

by Anonymousreply 78November 19, 2012 1:20 PM

Sorry, I have no idea how to properly direct a reply, but to [R77], her 'wisdom' that is so often repeated is essentially "Put up with me when I'm in a shitty mood". Not only is it about relationships (not exactly the most high-brow of philosophical inquiries), but it's actually quite a juvenile sentiment. Women only repost it because because it validates their shitty behaviour by redefining it as some sort of test of the sincerity of a man's affection for them.

by Anonymousreply 79November 19, 2012 1:29 PM

Monroe is the most overrated, vapid celebrity of all time and that is saying something.....

by Anonymousreply 80November 19, 2012 1:33 PM

R80 nails it!

by Anonymousreply 81November 19, 2012 1:40 PM

Guys, i'll spank your asses. Fuck off! I won't keep on answering back to all the crap you write about fragile Marilyn.

by Anonymousreply 82November 19, 2012 1:42 PM

It always makes me sad when I hear gays being as hateful to women as most straight men are. The way Marilyn felt about herself and the level of insecurity she had are not uncommon in many women. Part of the reason is that it appears to be extremely difficult to get men to take them and their needs and thoughts and feelings seriously also the double standard is freely employed.

I do enjoy all the humor I find when I come here even the politically incorrect, but the way you guys jump on the predicable women bashing bandwagon is really fucked. It's shooting fish in a barrel. It's been done. Get better material.

by Anonymousreply 83November 19, 2012 1:50 PM

I've read several biographies of her and this is what I found out. She worked on presenting herself as a sex goddess who had "depth" but it was mostly for show. She WANTED to be well-educated and informed but she wasn't.

She wasn't a reader but she had quite a few pictures taken of herself "reading" great books. She liked listening to records, talking on the telephone and going to parties. She hated television. She was average in intelligence. She didn't have a great mind. But she had that fantastic face and body that photographed so well and shone like a beacon on film. Those were her gifts.

by Anonymousreply 84November 19, 2012 2:05 PM

Yes, R83 has the situation completely wrapped up.

Criticizing Monroe for only taking a superficial interest in higher cultural pursuits, and producing vapid, trite quotations, is criticizing all women everywhere.

It's hard being a woman. So hard, in fact, that they should be considered beyond reproach. So the next time some ditzy, empty-headed starlet makes a clumsy, image-oriented attempt to be showing reading a book, be convinced that what she is doing is the complete opposite of what it looks like to you. Because women deserve to be taken seriously, even when their actions clearly do not warrant it. To do otherwise is solely because you hate women.

by Anonymousreply 85November 19, 2012 2:09 PM

"My cat's breath smells like cat food"- Marilyn Monroe

by Anonymousreply 86November 19, 2012 2:12 PM

And did Mae West, Dotty Parker and Tallulah Bankhead really say everything attributed to them?

by Anonymousreply 87November 19, 2012 2:23 PM

Tallulah was quite witty R87. I especially love her comment to the priest. It was something like "love the dress but your bag's on fire" talking about that incense thingie they carry up the aisle.

by Anonymousreply 88November 19, 2012 2:29 PM

Did she even finish high school? Perhaps if she said anything profound Arthur Miller may have said it first. I think her most intelligent line was from The 7 Year Itch--"I keep my undies in the icebox!" I will say this though, since I live in southern California I resolved one day to find her grave in Los Angeles--people still leave flowers there to this day. If she were alive today she would be 86. John Kennedy would be 95.

by Anonymousreply 89November 19, 2012 2:38 PM

[R80] You must be kidding, in the era of the Kardashians?? Or any so-called celebrities from "reality" television shows.

by Anonymousreply 90November 19, 2012 2:39 PM

I blame that lachrymose old queen Elton John for alot of this "Marilyn as saint" stuff mainly with that icky, syrupy, maudlin song he wrote about her (so much for British "restraint"). She had a few talents, mostly physical and largely made up by the studio; luck was with her for a while. Joan Crawford is supposed to have said (about Marilyn) that she (Joan) had nice tits too but she didn't go around throwing them in everyone's face.

by Anonymousreply 91November 19, 2012 3:03 PM

Joan was bitter with Marilyn and we all know why.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92November 19, 2012 3:10 PM

Marilyn was obviously attractive, but troubled.

I think her look as sexpot, and the whole sexpot bimbo dumb blonde etc idea was pushed as a societal backlash against stronger women both in the cinema and society.

by Anonymousreply 93November 19, 2012 3:15 PM

“If I play a stupid girl and ask a stupid question, I've got to follow it through, what am I supposed to do, look intelligent?” ― Marilyn Monroe

“If you're gonna be two-faced at least make one of them pretty.” ― Marilyn Monroe

by Anonymousreply 94November 19, 2012 3:18 PM

r85 your rant kind of makes a case for my point.

by Anonymousreply 95November 19, 2012 3:22 PM

R95

And yours proves mine

What point is that you wonder? How does it do that? Who knows. See, I too can use meaningless statements in place of actual reasoned-out arguments.

by Anonymousreply 96November 19, 2012 3:25 PM

I think you are onto something r93, because many women during World War II started working in jobs that were traditionally thought of as male mainly due to the fact that so many men of working age were in the military. By the 1950s many (in corporations, government, the whole Hollywood propaganda machine) thought it was time for women to "step aside" or "go back to the home and hearth" so that the returning men could fill those jobs they had. In a sense the dumb blond image being projected as the ideal for women was supposed to help that along. In a sense it was an effort to dumb down women then later the dumbing down of America was broadened to the point at which we see it today. Homophobia has long been used as a kind of dumbing down of any given population at various points in history (part of the "us against them" mentality perhaps).

by Anonymousreply 97November 19, 2012 3:27 PM

R83, Marilyn grew up in foster care and had been raped and molested as a child. There was mental illness in her family. She very dysfunctional and was damned lucky to have had the career she did.

Marilyn was not a deep person, and saying she wasn't is not dissing her. SO many people project so much shit on to this woman. Your fantasy is okay, but it's not mine.

by Anonymousreply 98November 19, 2012 3:50 PM

"The sky was so blue that day"

-- Marylin Monroe

by Anonymousreply 99November 19, 2012 4:03 PM

As it seems R83 hit a nerve guys and now you feel the urge to spill all your gall. R84 you said 'Marilyn was not a deep person'. How do you know it for sure where in fact there are many quotes of her that imply the opposite? What if Marilyn got affected by other people's opinion? Was it a crime? No, on the contrary, she seemed to care and wanted to improve herself despite her profound unhappiness. Guys, stop being so possessive about who told what and who is quoting who. We all affect each other, there is not exclusiveness in opinions and in points of view, if you think that, that's a fantasy. Nothing belongs to no one, not really...all is sharing.

by Anonymousreply 100November 19, 2012 4:03 PM

"We all affect each other, there is not exclusiveness in opinions and in points of view, if you think that, that's a fantasy. Nothing belongs to no one, not really...all is sharing."

-- Marilyn Monroe

by Anonymousreply 101November 19, 2012 4:06 PM

"Did she even finish high school?"

No, she didn't. She was married off at 16 to James Dougherty, in order to prevent her from going back to foster care.

Robert Mitchum said that she wasn't dumb, just uneducated. And that was probably the truth.

by Anonymousreply 102November 19, 2012 4:06 PM

July 8, 1962

Dear Diary,

I've sucked a lot of dick to prevent a missile crises. I pray my cock gobbling skills have improved U.S./Soviet relations.

Oh, and if a little bald closet queen from the UK ever writes a bullshit song about me, I hope somebody has the sense to punch him in the dick.

by Anonymousreply 103November 19, 2012 4:12 PM

I'll stop replying to this particular thread. You can't persuade deaf people to listen to you. After all, when you are already preoccupied, you speak or write without really giving a damn to hold in a positive light a person who really shined... When you shine, it's something both physical and spiritual but what do you know really?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104November 19, 2012 4:29 PM

"I'm giving up philosophizing to act my way out of a whirlpool bra."

MM on the set of The Brothers Karamazov

by Anonymousreply 105November 23, 2012 5:48 PM

Three passions, simple but overwhelmingly strong, have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind. - Marilyn Monroe, 1961

by Anonymousreply 106December 9, 2012 5:11 AM

op is right. you'll often find these quotes of hers posted on Pinterest by mentally ill women. they relate to her unstable character and need for drama.

by Anonymousreply 107December 9, 2012 5:39 AM

She was a great big fat person.

by Anonymousreply 108December 9, 2012 5:46 AM

Was it William Goldman who wrote something to the effect that no one who makes it to the top of the heap in Hollywood and stays there is stupid.

by Anonymousreply 109December 9, 2012 6:21 AM

Part one of Monroe's personal library sold at Christie's in 1999.

1) Let’s Make Love by Matthew Andrews (novelisation of the movie) 2) How To Travel Incognito by Ludwig Bemelmans 3) To The One I Love Best by Ludwig Bemelmans 4) Thurber Country by James Thurber 5) The Fall by Albert Camus 6) Marilyn Monroe by George Carpozi 7) Camille by Alexander Dumas 8 ) Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison 9) The Boston Cooking-School Cook Book by Fannie Merritt-Farmer 10) The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald 11) From Russia With Love by Ian Fleming 12) The Art Of Loving by Erich Fromm 13) The Prophet by Kahlil Gilbran 14) Ulysses by James Joyce 15) Stoned Like A Statue: A Complete Survey Of Drinking Cliches, Primitive, Classical & Modern by Howard Kandel & Don Safran, with an intro by Dean Martin (a man who knew how to drink!) 16) The Last Temptation Of Christ by Nikos Kazantzakis 17) On The Road by Jack Kerouac 18) Selected Poems by DH Lawrence 19 and 20) Sons And Lovers by DH Lawrence (2 editions) 21) The Portable DH Lawrence 22) Etruscan Places (DH Lawrence?) 23) DH Lawrence: A Basic Study Of His Ideas by Mary Freeman 24) The Assistant by Bernard Malamud 25) The Magic Barrel by Bernard Malamud 26) Death In Venice & Seven Other Stories by Thomas Mann 27) Last Essays by Thomas Mann 28) The Thomas Mann Reader 29) Hawaii by James Michener 30) Red Roses For Me by Sean O’Casey 31) I Knock At The Door by Sean O’Casey 32) Selected Plays by Sean O’Casey 33) The Green Crow by Sean O’Casey 34) Golden Boy by Clifford Odets 35) Clash By Night by Clifford Odets 36) The Country Girl by Clifford Odets 37) 6 Plays Of Clifford Odets 38) The Cat With 2 Faces by Gordon Young 39) Long Day’s Journey Into Night by Eugene O’Neill 40) Part Of A Long Story: Eugene O’Neill As A Young Man In Love by Agnes Boulton 41) The Little Engine That Could by Piper Watty (pencil scrawls at end, possibly MM’s) 42) The New Joy Of Cooking by Irma S. Rombauer & Marion Rombauer-Becker (with some cut recipes, page markers, a typed diet sheet and manuscript shopping list, apparently in MM’s hand, laid in) 43) Selected Plays Of George Bernard Shaw 44) Ellen Terry And Bernard Shaw – A Correspondence 45) Bernard Shaw & Mrs Patrick Campbell – Their Correspondence 46) The Short Reigh Of Pippin IV by John Steinbeck 47) Once There Was A War by John Steinbeck 48) Set This House On Fire by William Styron 49) Lie Down In Darkness (William Styron?) 50) The Roman Spring Of Mrs Stone by Tennessee Williams 51) Camino Real by Tennessee Williams 52) A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams (with notes by MM) 53) The Flower In Drama And Glamour by Stark Young (inscribed to MM by Lee Strasberg, Christmas 1955) 54) Tender Is The Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald 55) The Story Of A Novel by Thomas Wolfe 56) Look Homeward Angel by Thomas Wolfe 57) A Stone, A Leaf, A Door (Thomas Wolfe?) 58) Thomas Wolfe’s Letters To His Mother, ed. John Skally Terry 59) A Farewell To Arms by Ernest Hemingway 60) The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway 61) Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson 62) Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreiser 63) Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck 64) The American Claimant & Other Stories & Sketches by Mark Twain 65) In Defense of Harriet Shelley & Other Essays (Mark Twain?) 66) The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain 67) Roughing It (Mark Twain?) 68) The Magic Christian by Terry Southern 69) A Death In The Family by James Agee 70) The War Lover by John Hersey 71) Don’t Call Me By My Right Name & Other Stories by James Purdy 72) Malcolm by James Purdy 73) The Portable Irish Reader (pub. Viking) 74) The Portable Poe – Edgar Allen Poe 75) The Portable Walt Whitman 76) This Week’s Short Stories (New York, 1953) 77) Bedside Book Of Famous Short Stories 78) Short Novels Of Colette 79) Short Story Masterpieces (New York, 1960) 80) The Passionate Playgoer by George Oppenheimer 81) Fancies And Goodnights by John Collier 82) Evergreen Review, Vol 2, No. 6 83) The Medal & Other Stories by Luigi Pirandello

by Anonymousreply 110December 9, 2012 10:39 AM

Art Books

84) Max Weber (art book – inscribed to MM by ‘Sam’ – Shaw?) 85) Renoir by Albert Skira 86) Max by Giovannetti Pericle 87) The Family Of Man by Carl Sandburg 88-90) Horizon, A Magazine Of The Arts (Nov 1959, Jan 1960, Mar 1960.) 91) Jean Dubuffet by Daniel Cordier

Biography

92) The Summing Up by W. Somerset Maugham 93) Close To Colette by Maurice Goudeket 94) This Demi-Paradise by Margaret Halsey 95) God Protect Me From My Friends by Gavin Maxwell 96) Minister Of Death: The Adolf Eichmann Story by Quentin Reynolds, Ephraim Katz and Zwy Aldouby 97) Dance To The Piper by Agnes DeMille 98) Goodness Had Nothing To Do With It by Mae West 99) Act One by Moss Hart

Christian Science

100) Science And Health With Key To The Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy 101) Poems, Including Christ And Christmas by Mary Baker Eddy

Classical Works

102) 2 Plays: Peace And Lysistrata by Aristophanes 103) Of The Nature Of Things by Lucretius 104) The Philosophy Of Plato 105) Mythology by Edith Hamilton 106) Theory Of Poetry And Fine Art by Aristotle 107) Metaphysics by Aristotle 108-111) Plutarch’s Lives, Vols 3-6 only (of 6) by William and John Langhorne

Counter-Culture

112) Bound For Glory by Woody Guthrie 113) The Support Of The Mysteries by Paul Breslow 114) Paris Blues by Harold Flender 115) The Shook-Up Generation by Harrison E. Salisbury

Foreign-Language Texts And Translations

116) An Mands Ansigt by Arthur Miller 117) Independent People by Halldor Laxness 118) Mujer by Lina Rolan (inscribed to MM by author) 119) The Havamal, ed. D.E. Martin Clarke 120) Yuan Mei: 18th Century Chinese Poet by Arthur Waley 121) Almanach: Das 73 Jahr by S. Fischer Verlag

French Literature

122) Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert 123) The Works Of Rabelais 124) The Guermantes Way by Marcel Proust 125) Cities Of The Plain by Marcel Proust 126) Within A Budding Grove by Marcel Proust 127) The Sweet Cheat Gone by Marcel Proust 128) The Captive by Marcel Proust 129) Nana by Emile Zola 130) Plays by Moliere

Freud

131) The Life And Work of Sigmund Freud by Ernest Jones 132) Letters Of Sigmund Freud, ed. Ernest L. Freud 133) Glory Reflected by Martin Freud 134) Moses And Monotheism by Sigmund Freud 135) Conditioned Reflex Therapy by Andrew Salter

Gardening & Pets

136-137) The Wise Garden Encyclopedia, ed. E.L.D. Seymour (2 editions) 138) Landscaping Your Own Home by Alice Dustan 139) Outpost Nurseries – publicity brochure 140) The Forest And The Sea by Marston Bates 141) Pet Turtles by Julien Bronson 142) A Book About Bees by Way Teale 143) Codfish, Cats & Civilisation by Gary Webster

by Anonymousreply 111December 9, 2012 10:40 AM

Humour

144) How To Do It, Or, The Art Of Lively Entertaining by Elsa Maxwell 145) Wake Up, Stupid by Mark Harris 146) Merry Christmas, Happy New Year by Phyllis McGinley 147) The Hero Maker by Akbar Del Piombo & Norman Rubington 148) How To Talk At Gin by Ernie Kovacs 149) VIP Tosses A Party, by Virgil Partch 150) Who Blowed Up The House & Other Ozark Folk Tales, ed. Randolph Vance 151) Snobs by Russell Lynes

Judaism

152) The Form of Daily Prayers 153) Sephath Emeth (Speech Of Truth): Order Of Prayers For The Wholes Year In Jewish and English 154) The Holy Scriptures According To The Masoretic Text (inscribed to MM by Paula Strasberg, July 1, 1956)

Literature

155) The Law by Roger Vailland 156) The Building by Peter Martin 157) The Mermaids by Boros 158) They Came To Cordura by Glendon Swarthout 159) The 7th Cross by Anna Seghers 160) A European Education by Romain Gary 161) Strike For A Kingdom by Menna Gallie 162) The Slide Area by Gavin Lambert 163) The Woman Who Was Poor by Leon Bloy 164) Green Mansions by W.H. Hudson 165) The Contenders by John Wain 166) The Best Of All Worlds, Or, What Voltaire Never Knew by Hans Jorgen Lembourn (is this the same guy who later wrote a book about Marilyn?) 167) The Story Of Esther Costello by Nicholas Montsarrat 168) Oh Careless Love by Maurice Zolotow (MM biographer) 169) Add A Dash Of Pity by Peter Ustinov 170) An American Tragedy by Theodore Dreiser (filmed as A Place In The Sun) 171) The Mark Of The Warrior by Paul Scott 172) The Dancing Bear by Edzard Schaper 173) Miracle In The Rain by Ben Hecht (co-author of MM’s autobiography) 174) The Guide by R.K. Narayan 175) Blow Up A Storm by Garson Kanin (screenwriter on Let’s Make Love) 176) Jonathan by Russell O’Neill 177) Fowlers End by Gerald Kersh 178) Hurricane Season by Ralph Winnett 179) The un-Americans by Alvah Bessie (later wrote The Symbol, a novel loosely based on MM’s life) 180) The Devil’s Advocate by Morris L. West 181) On Such A Night by Anthony Quayle 182) Say You Never Saw Me by Arthur Nesbitt

Literature, Ctd.

183) All The Naked Heroes by Alan Kapener 184) Jeremy Todd by Hamilton Maule 185) Miss America by Daniel Stren 186) Fever In The Blood by William Pearson 187) Spartacus by Howard Fast 188) Venetian Red by L.M. Pasinetti 189) A Cup Of Tea For Mr Thorgill by Storm Jameson 190) Six O’Clock Casual by Henry W. Cune 191) Mischief by Charlotte Armstrong (the MM movie Don’t Bother To Knock was based on this novel) 192) The Gingko Tree by Sheelagh Burns 193) The Mountain Road by Theodore H. White 194) Three Circles Of Light by Pietro Di Donato 195) The Day The Money Stopped by Brendan Gill 196) The Carpetbaggers by Harold Robbins (Hollywood-set bestseller, featuring a Jean Harlow-based character, Rina Marlowe. Marilyn’s secretary, Margerie Stengel, recalls that Marilyn was reading a Robbins novel in her New York apartment in 1961.) 197-198) Justine by Lawrence Durrell (2 editions, possibly read during filming of The Misfits) 199) Balthazar by Lawrence Durrell 200) Brighton Rock by Graham Greene 201) The Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad 202) The Unnamable by Samuel Beckett 203) Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Dog by Dylan Thomas (Marilyn met Thomas in Shelley Winters’ apartment circa 1951) 204) Hear Us O Lord From Heaven Thy Dwelling Place, by Malcolm Lowry

Modern Library

205) The Sound And The Fury/As I Lay Dying, by William Faulkner 206) God’s Little Acre by Erskine Caldwell 207) Anna Christie/The Emperor Jones/The Hairy Ape by Eugene O’Neill (Marilyn played Anna in a scene performed at the Actor’s Studio in 1956) 208) The Philosophy Of Schopenhauer by Irwin Edman 209) The Philosophy Of Spinoza by Joseph Ratner 210) The Dubliners by James Joyce 211) Selected Poems by Emily Dickinson 212) The Collected Short Stories by Dorothy Parker (Friend of Marilyn’s, lived nearby her Doheny Drive apartment in 1961) 213) Selected Works by Alexander Pope 214) The Red And The Black by Stendhal 215) The Life Of Michelangelo by John Addington 216) Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham (Niagara director Henry Hathaway wanted to f

by Anonymousreply 112December 9, 2012 10:40 AM

American Poetry

257 and 258) Collected Sonnets by Edna St Vincent Millay (2 editions) 259) Robert Frost’s Poems by Louis Untermeyer (Marilyn befriended Untermeyer during her marriage to Arthur) 260) Poe: Complete Poems by Richard Wilbur (a 2nd copy?) 261) The Life And Times Of Archy And Mehitabel by Don Marquis 262) The Pocketbook Of Modern Verse by Oscar Williams 263) Poems by John Tagliabue 264) Selected Poems by Rafael Alberti 265) Selected Poetry by Robinson Jeffers 266) The American Puritans: Their Prose & Poetry, by Perry Miller 267) Selected Poems by Rainer Maria Rilke 268) Poet In New York by Federico Garcia Lorca 269) The Vapor Trail by Ivan Lawrence Becker (inscribed to Arthur by the author, there is also a note to MM) 270) Love Poems & Love Letters For All The Year 271) 100 Modern Poems, ed. Selden Rodman 272) The Sweeniad, by Myra Buttle 273) Poetry: A Magazine Of Verse, Vol.70, no. 6

Politics

274) The Wall Between by Anne Braden 275) The Roots Of American Communism by Theodore Draper 276) A View Of The Nation – An Anthology : 1955-1959, ed. Henry Christian 277) A Socialist’s Faith by Norman Thomas 278-279) Rededication To Freedom by Benjamin Ginzburg (2 copies) 280) The Ignorant Armies by E.M. Halliday 281) Commonwealth Vs Sacco & Vanzetti, by Robert P. Weeks 282) Journey To The Beginning by Edgar Snow 283) Das Kapital by Karl Marx 284) Lidice by Eleanor Wheeler 285) The Study Of History by Arnold Toynbee 286) America The Invincible by Emmet John Hughes 287) The Unfinished Country by Max Lerner 288) Red Mirage by John O’Kearney 289) Background & Foreground – The New York Times Magazine: An Anthology, ed. Lester Markel (a friend of MM) 290) The Failure Of Success by Esther Milner 291) A Piece Of My Mind by Edmund Wilson 292) The Truth About The Munich Crisis by Viscount Maugham 293) The Alienation Of Modern Man by Fritz Pappenheim 294) A Train Of Powder by Rebecca West 295) Report From Palermo by Danilo Dolci 296) The Devil In Massachusetts by Marion Starkey 297) American Rights: The Constitution In Action, by Walter Gellhorn 298) Night by Francis Pollini 299) The Right Of The People by William Douglas 300) The Jury Is Still Out by Irwin Davidson and Richard Gehman 301) First Degree by William Kunstler 302) Democracy In America by Alexis De Tocqueville 303) World Underworld by Andrew Varna

Prayer

304) Catechism For Young Children (1936, so may be from Norma Jeane’s childhood) 305) Prayer Changes Things (1952, inscribed to MM – perhaps from Jane Russell?) 306) The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran (a second copy?) 307) The Magic Word L.I.D.G.T.T.F.T.A.T.I.M. by Robert Collier 308) The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran (a third copy?) 309) His Brother’s Keeper by Milton Gross (3-page extract from Readers’ Digest, Dec 1961) 310) Christliches ergissmeinnicht by K. Ehmann 311) And It Was Told Of A Certain Potter by Walter C. Lanyon (1922, a gift from Ana Lower. Several newspaper poems and prayers tipped in.) 312) Bahai Prayers (inscribed to MM, ‘Marilyn Monroe Maybeline. A gift for my darling Maybeline, with all my love, Charlzetta’ – dated 1961.)

Psychology

313) Man Against Himself by Karl A. Menninger 314) The Tower And The Abyss by Erich Kahler 315) Something To Live By, by Dorothea S. Kopplin 316) Man’s Supreme Inheritance by Alexander F. Matthias 317) The Miracles Of Your Mind by Joseph Murphy 318) The Wisdom Of The Sands by Antoine de Saint-Exupery 319) A Prison, A Paradise by Loran Hurnscot 320) The Magic Of Believing by Claude M. Bristol 321) Peace Of Mind by Joshua Loth Liebman 322) The Use Of The Self by Alexander F. Matthias 323) The Power Within You by Claude M. Bristol 324) The Call Girl by Harold Greenwald 325) Troubled Women by Lucy Freeman (who later wrote Why Norma Jean Killed Marilyn Monroe) 326) Relax And Live by Joseph A. Kennedy 327) Forever Young, Forever Healthy by Indra Devi 328) The Open Self by Charles Morris 329) Hypnotism Today by Leslie Lecron & Jean Bordeaux 330) The Masks Of God: Primitive Mythology, by Joseph Campbell 331) Some Characteristics Of Today by Rudolph Steiner

by Anonymousreply 113December 9, 2012 10:41 AM

Reference

332) Baby & Child Care by Dr Benjamin Spock (pub. 1958) 333) Flower Arranging For Fun by Hazel Peckinpaugh Dunlop 334) Hugo’s Pocket Dictionary: French-English And English-French 335) Spoken French For Travellers And Tourists, by Charles Kany & Mathurin Dondo 336) Roget’s Pocket Thesaurus, by C.O. Mawson & K.A. Whiting

Religion

337) What Is A Jew? by Morris Kertzer 338) A Partisan Guide To The Jewish Problem, by Milton Steinberg 339) The Tales Of Rabbi Nachman, by Martin Buber 340) The Saviours Of God: Spiritual Exercises, by Nikos Kazantzakis 341) The Prophet by Kahlil Gilbran (4th copy?) 342) The Dead Sea Scrolls by Millar Burrows 343) The Secret Books Of The Egyptian Gnostics, by Jean Doresse 344) Jesus by Kahlil Gilbran 345) Memories Of A Catholic Girlhood, by Mary McCarthy 346) Why I Am Not A Christian, by Bertrand Russell

Russian Literature

347) Redemption & Other Plays by Leo Tolstoy 348) The Viking Library Portable Anton Chekhov 349) The House Of The Dead, by Fyodor Dostoevsky 350) Crime And Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky 351) Best Russian Stories: An Anthology, ed. Thomas Seltzer 352) The Plays Of Anton Chekhov 353) Smoke by Ivan Turgenev 354) The Poems, Prose & Plays Of Alexander Pushkin

355) The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky (not in the Christies’ catalogue. But friends of MM recall her reading it as a young actress, and she had hopes of playing Grushenka. Her own remarks in interviews make it clear that she had read the novel.)

Science

356) Our Knowledge Of The External World, by Bertrand Russell 357) Common Sense And Nuclear Warfare, by Bertrand Russell 358) Out Of My Later Years by Albert Einstein 359) Men And Atoms by William Laurence 360) Man Alive by Daniel Colin Munro (inscribed to Renna Campbell from Lorraine?) 361) Doctor Pygmalion by Maxwell Maltz 362) Panorama: A New Review, ed. R.F. Tannenbaum 363) Everyman’s Search by Rebecca Beard 364) Of Stars And Men by Harlow Shapley 365) From Hiroshima To The Moon, by Daniel Lang 366) The Open Mind by J. Robert Oppenheimer 367) Sexual Impotence In The Male, by Leonard Paul Wershub

Scripts And Readings

368) Medea by Jeffers Robinson 369) Antigone by Jean Anouilh 370) Bell, Book And Candle by John Van Druten 371) The Women by Clare Boothe 372) Jean Of Lorraine by Maxwell Anderson

Travel

373) The Sawbwa And His Secretary by C.Y. Lee 374) The Twain Shall Meet by Christopher Rand 375) Kingdom Of The Rocks by Consuelo De Saint-Exupery 376) The Heart Of India by Alexander Campbell 377) Man-Eaters Of India by Jim Corbett 378) Jungle Lore by Jim Corbett 379) My India by Jim Corbett 380) A Time In Rome by Elizabeth Bowen 381) London by Jacques Boussard 382) New York State Vacationlands 383) Russian Journey by William O. Douglas 384) The Golden Bough by James G. Frazer

Women Authors

385) The Portable Dorothy Parker 386) My Antonia by Willa Cather 387) Lucy Gayheart by Willa Cather 388) The Ballad Of The Sad Cafe by Carson McCullers (befriended Marilyn when she first moved to New York) 389) The Short Novels Of Colette (A second copy?) 390) The Little Disturbances Of Man by Grace Paley

This is the end of the Christies’ list! Here are a few other books which weren’t included, but Marilyn was reported either to have read or owned them.

391) The Autobiography Of Lincoln Steffens (read during The Fireball) 392-403) Carl Sandburg’s 12-volume biography of Abraham Lincoln 404) The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupery (Marilyn gave a copy to Joe after their wedding) 405) Poems Of W.B. Yeats (Marilyn read his poems aloud at Norman Rosten’s house) 406) Mr Roberts by Joyce Cary 407) The Thinking Body by Mabel Elsworth Todd 408) The Actor Prepares by Konstantin Stanislavsky 409) The Bible 410) The Biography Of Eleanora Duse, by William Weaver 411) De Humani Corporis Fabrica (Study Of Human Bone Structure) by Andreas Vesalius 412) Essays by Ralph Waldo Emerson 413) Gertrude Lawrence As Mrs A, by Richard Aldrich 414) Goodnight Sweet Prince by Gene Fowler 415) Greek Mythology by Edith Hamilton 416) How Stanislavsky Directs by Mikhail Gorchakov

by Anonymousreply 114December 9, 2012 10:42 AM

417) I Married Adventure by Olso Johnson 418) The Importance Of Living by Lin Yutang 419) Letters To A Young Poet by Rainer Maria Rilke (read during All About Eve) 420) Psychology Of Everyday Life by Sigmund Freud 421) The Rains Came by Louis Broomfield 422) The Rights Of Man by Thomas Paine (read during Some Like It Hot) 423) Swann’s Way by Marcel Proust 424) To The Actor by Michael Chekhov (Marilyn’s acting teacher from 1950-1955) 425) Dr Newman, M.D. by Leo Rosten (Novel based on Dr Ralph Greenson’s as an army doctor in Korea. Marilyn was said to be reading this on the week of her death. A film based on the book was released in 1963.) 426) Songs For Patricia by Norman Rosten (posted by Paju) 427) A Lost Lady by Willa Cather (Marilyn hoped to film this with her production company. But an earlier adaptation was so disappointing to the author, that she withdrew the film rights.) 428) Lust For Life by Irving Stone 429) The Deer Park by Norman Mailer (Hollywood-based novel. Marilyn commented on the book, ‘He’s too impressed by power, in my opinion.’ Mailer tried unsuccessfully to meet Marilyn, and after her death wrote several books on her.) 431) Focus by Arthur Miller (A novel, Marilyn’s favourite work by him) 432) Plays by Arthur Miller 433) Poetry by e.e.cummings (Arthur bought Marilyn a copy when they first met in 1951) 434) Leaves Of Grass by Walt Whitman 435) Under Milk Wood by Dylan Thomas (When Marilyn was at Parkside she enjoyed listening to a radio broadcast of UMW with Richard Burton as the narrator. She told Jack Cardiff about and he bought her a copy) 436) ’The Collected Lakeland Poets’

"Dumb as a fox." as Shelley Winters would say about her former roommate and friend.

by Anonymousreply 115December 9, 2012 10:43 AM

R110-R115, very kind and sweet of you that you took all this time and you post all this interesting info about Marilyn.

:)

by Anonymousreply 116December 9, 2012 11:09 AM

"It's just as easy to poop in a toilet as it is in a store."

- Marilyn Monroe

by Anonymousreply 117December 9, 2012 12:47 PM

Enjoy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118December 9, 2012 5:42 PM

Monroe's "personal library" doesn't mean a thing. A lot of people OWN books, but don't actually read them. By all accounts, Marilyn Monroe was not a reader. She liked talking on the phone, listening to records, going out to clubs and parties. She hated television. But she wasn't intellectually inclined, not at all. She wanted people to believe she was more than a dumb blonde, but she didn't have much intellectual curiousity. All those pictures of her "reading" were just for show.

by Anonymousreply 119December 9, 2012 5:57 PM

All you need to know about Marilyn Monroe is that SHE WAS A GEMINI

by Anonymousreply 120December 9, 2012 6:10 PM

My sincere apologies about the length of the list of books, but I wanted to show that Marilyn was much smarter than most people like R119 give her credit for.

As for the book reading being show, I know several people who own some of those books and they were certainly well-read. Some had notations, insights and questions written by Marilyn in the margins.

I suggest people who are curious pick up a copy of "Fragments - Poems, Intimate Notes, Letters by Marilyn Monroe" Buchthal & Comment OR MM-Personal from the Private Archive of Marilyn Monroe by Lois Banner with photographs by Mark Anderson.

Both will help prove that "Marilyn Monroe" was the creation of a very smart, but emotionally troubled woman named Norma Jeane Baker.

by Anonymousreply 121December 10, 2012 1:18 AM

[quote]De Humani Corporis Fabrica (Study Of Human Bone Structure) by Andreas Vesalius

I'm sure she read this very carefully.

by Anonymousreply 122December 10, 2012 1:19 AM

To quote a song Monroe recorded for RCA-Victor, "You'd be Surprised" R122.

by Anonymousreply 123December 10, 2012 1:54 AM

Marilyn had a great understanding of human nature. In her last interview with Life Magazine, as the reporter left her MM's house, she said "Please don't make me a joke". She knew that mean minded people like the posters on this site were only to happy to make her into the punchline of their unfunny jokes!

Look at the YOutube interview with Amy Greene whose house MM lived in with Greene and her husband Milton, with for a couple of years in the 50s and Ms Greene says that yes, MM did read those books, knew she was uneducated and wanted to learn, was a slow reader but absorbed what she was reading.

by Anonymousreply 124December 10, 2012 10:16 PM

Oh GOD, when will this non-stop Marilyn Monroe veneration fucking stop? Every week a new TV show, movie, TV movie, book, and DVD retrospective comes out about this actress who's been dead for FIFTY YEARS.

Is it just because fat girls with no personality have a celebrity they can relate to?

by Anonymousreply 125December 10, 2012 10:21 PM

Of course she didn't read all those books. It's ridiculous to think that she did. Monroe's life has been well-documented, and she was NOT a voracious reader. But she did attempt to make people think she was interested in art and literature and philosophy and "serious" subjects like that. She had photographs taken of her "reading." She married Arthur Miller and met literary figures through him. She was probably not as dumb as most people thought, but she sure wasn't as intellectual as she wanted to appear.

by Anonymousreply 126December 11, 2012 3:20 PM

Well played, OP, well played.

Mind the shoes upon the table.

by Anonymousreply 127December 11, 2012 3:28 PM

Often times, movie lines get mistaken for personal quotes.

Granted, delivery makes the line.

by Anonymousreply 128December 13, 2012 10:21 AM

Marilyn was a nice person.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129December 14, 2012 12:28 PM

Jesus H. Christ, someone can read Joyce, Hemingway, and Steinbeck. It doesn't mean they're the next intellectual giant in waiting. Nor does it mean they're pretending to be something they're not.

Having an interest in literature used to be a baseline trait, like having an interest in movies or enjoying music. Only now do we analyze and disassemble someone's character because they've picked up a book.

by Anonymousreply 130December 14, 2012 12:40 PM

It's easy to smile and wave to your adoring fans. But she treated many people in her life horribly. A real Jekyll & Hyde personality, and they never knew which one was going to emerge.

She had deep, hateful grudges against Hollywood and others she felt had done her wrong. Her chronic lateness and flubbing of lines were her revenge on Them. After all those movies, she died almost penniless.

by Anonymousreply 131December 15, 2012 10:47 PM

R131, i don't think it's easy to smile and wave to fans for all stars. There are numerous famous people who hate it and show it!

'She treated many people in her life horribly' Like who R131? Most of the time, they treated her horribly, wake up!

by Anonymousreply 132December 16, 2012 9:54 AM

[quote]Her chronic lateness and flubbing of lines were her revenge on Them. After all those movies, she died almost penniless.

Her lateness was more from insecurities than revenge. The flubbing of lines was could have been several reasons. If she didn't believe in the words. If she felt the scene wasn't working to her best advantage. If she didn't like her leading man (Tony Curtis.) "The Misfits" was definitely over-medication due to her marriage to Arthur Miller falling apart. And "Something's Got to Give" was due to the constant rewriting of scenes, sometimes the night before shooting.

The reason she died "penniless" is because Marilyn spend money like water, but on services and staff rather than possessions. Also, her income from "Some Like it Hot" and "The Misfits" was paid to Marilyn Monroe Productions and she drew a salary. And she also supported Miller during their marriage and even renovated their home and GAVE it to him in the divorce. And with her resigning to finish "Something's Got to Give" in October of 62 with a $500,000 salary, she wouldn't have been "penniless" long.

by Anonymousreply 133December 16, 2012 12:29 PM

"Like who R131?"

Um, read Arthur Miller's "After The Fall" for a thinly veiled look at how she treated men who failed to live up to her Mythical Daddy ideal.

And how about the people who generously took her in as her mother sank deeper into mental illness? In interview after interview she erased people who had offered their homes, money and guidance to the motherless child from birth to age 16. Many of them were hurt and bewildered by her efforts to gain a few pity points with the public, with her mostly fictional Horatio Alger stories.

Yes, she was in an orphanage for a while. But it was a clean, well-run place.

Joe tried to love her but she was unable to accept love and died alone. Marilyn only glommed onto chilly, user-types. 'Birds of a feather'...

by Anonymousreply 134December 16, 2012 10:38 PM

Check the link to watch Marilyn explain the Theory of Relativity to Albert Einstein

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135December 16, 2012 11:10 PM

[quote]In interview after interview she erased people who had offered their homes, money and guidance to the motherless child from birth to age 16. Many of them were hurt and bewildered by her efforts to gain a few pity points with the public, with her mostly fictional Horatio Alger stories.

I'd be very interested to know exactly who you are referring to R134 and from what sources.

Marilyn didn't erase anyone from her childhood out of resentment or anger, but to protect them from the prying media. She didn't name names or would fudge facts to protect these people. They had no inside gossip about her upbringing which is the only thing the press was trying to dig up.

The Bolender family with whom she lived from two weeks until seven years were a deeply religious and private family that took in foster children. Norma Jeane led a very comfortable and stable life with them and had her mother not objected, they would have adopted her and Marilyn Monroe never would have existed. She knew that they would be uncomfortable around the media which was quite evident in their one televised interview.

After leaving the Bolenders and her mother's 1934 commitment to a mental institution, the two main women in Norma Jeane's life were Grace Goddard, Gladys Baker's BFF, and Ana Lower, Goddard's aunt. While Norma Jeane did live with numerous families while growing up, they were either blood relatives (the Monroes), relatives of Goddard/Lower (the Atchinsons and Knebelcamps) or close family friends (the Giffins and Howells.) And two of those relocations were due to natural disasters. The 1933 LA earthquake and 1938 SFV flood.

And while in the orphanage for nine months (not two years), court documents show Goddard gave Norma Jeane clothes, toys, trips and anything else to make her as comfortable as possible. Lower died in 1948 and Goddard in 1953. Marilyn stayed very close with both women till their deaths and gifted Goddard's husband her bedroom suite and other furniture after marrying DiMaggio.

Monroe lost contact with most of these people after she moved to New York City in late 1954 and returned to LA only to film, except the last year of her life. By then, many of them were either elderly or deceased or scattered across the country.

by Anonymousreply 136December 16, 2012 11:47 PM

R134 i find your critic rather cruel. How are you so sure about your point of view? You speak as everything you say is a fact. How can you discern truth from lies so easily? Marilyn could give love but Miller was not as good to her as you think that he was. I have read that he was ashamed of her when he was in company with his 'cultured friends' and she was around. Marilyn got that, got hurt by that and finally didn't like it. You blame her for that?

Arthur Miller was not perfect either. I find it very annoying that he blames Marilyn for his own incapability to love more his woman. I bet Marilyn gave him great sex, what a hypocrite he was! When a plain man like him can't satisfy a woman like Marilyn, so...Marilyn must be the problem eh? How convenient!

by Anonymousreply 137December 18, 2012 10:22 AM

Marilyn rowing away...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138December 27, 2012 8:59 PM

Marilyn Monroe & Montgomery Clift on the set of "The Misfits".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139December 27, 2012 10:09 PM

Marilyn was academically smart.

by Anonymousreply 140December 27, 2012 10:24 PM

The implication because how could they be real when she was just a piece of ass?

Maybe you need to look at that.

by Anonymousreply 141December 27, 2012 10:29 PM

[quote]You speak as everything you say is a fact. How can you discern truth from lies so easily?

Oh, the irony R137

by Anonymousreply 142December 27, 2012 10:33 PM

Sweetness!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143December 31, 2012 10:29 AM

Only gay men can't want her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144January 13, 2013 12:09 PM

Two gay nasty kittens (Do they remind you of someone? Lol)

Look at the mirror!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145January 13, 2013 12:14 PM

"ball till u fall" -Marilyn Monroe

by Anonymousreply 146January 25, 2013 5:06 PM

"Marilyn was academically smart"

No, she wasn't. She was a high school dropout. Robert Mitchum said this about her: "she wasn't dumb, she was uneducated." When she became famous for being a "dumb blonde (she was superlative at playing brainless blondes) she tried to make it seem like she was intellectually inclined, but that was far from the case. She wasn't a reader. She liked talking on the phone, going to parties and listening to records. She had a very ordinary intelligence. And what's the big deal about that? Hollywood stars don't tend to be the most educated, intellectual people in the world.

by Anonymousreply 147January 25, 2013 6:24 PM

Sometimes, i mean very often in here people speak as if they are gigantic jerks. I'm tired, so fucking tired of giving my fucking right point of view to wrong people.

by Anonymousreply 148January 25, 2013 8:25 PM

Marilyn Monroe meets British poet Dame Edith Sitwell, 1950s

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149March 13, 2013 9:42 PM

Socialite Elsa Maxwell talks with Marilyn Monroe

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150March 13, 2013 10:42 PM

Bumps

by Anonymousreply 151April 4, 2013 4:36 PM

It often amazes me how contemporary Marilyn's beauty/look is. I guess that's why she remains timeless. Take for example, twentysomething Liz Taylor. Her look was 1950s specific. A woman looking like her today would look like she was going to a retro '50s party or something, whereas someone like Marilyn could still pull it off today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152April 4, 2013 5:45 PM

Marilyn, off the record, to a reporter friend as she was about to get married to Joltin' Joe:

"I've sucked my last cock!"

by Anonymousreply 153April 4, 2013 9:52 PM

She got into UCLA and studied literature and art appreciation there. Who r u to judge someone u don't know well and call them not smart? I'm sure she was smarter than most of you here.

by Anonymousreply 154April 13, 2013 11:13 PM

The gossip columnist Earl Wilson knew Marilyn Monroe, interviewed her quite a few times, socialized with her on occasion. He considered writing a book about her, but didn't want to get into certain unpleasant subjects like her mental instablity and her relationship with the Kennedys. He did write a chapter about her in one of his books. He said this about her:

"No other superstar was capable of arousing men and women to such anger and jealousy and exhilaration. Consider that literary genius Arthur Miller married a girl who said "antidotes" when she mean "anecdotes" and once asked a friend, while she was writing a letter, "How do you spell 'were'?" Her friends forgave her for having so little information because she had so many other things."

by Anonymousreply 155April 14, 2013 1:28 AM

Truman Capote said Marilyn was one of the three best conversationalists he'd ever met.

I forget who the other two were. But they weren't dummies!

by Anonymousreply 156April 14, 2013 1:36 AM

People project all sorts of things on to Monroe--she was barely educated and a severe neurotic cripple, but there are nevertheless a lot of people who want to pretend that she was the intellectual equal of a full professor at Yale.

It's not enough that she was wonderfully beautiful and charming beyond compare--she has to be all these other things as well.

by Anonymousreply 157April 14, 2013 2:07 AM

152: I beg to disagree. I don't think Marilyn looks contemporary at all in that pic. She looks very 1950s in that a mask of heavily-applied makeup.

by Anonymousreply 158April 14, 2013 3:09 AM

R158

Her makeup may be heavy, but her mouth and eyes and bold open look was pretty unique and modern.

We all know she had a thousand "looks", she was probably the most expressive still photo model of all time.

R152 Liz Taylor's beauty seems so 50's specific because that is the only decade in which she was truly beautiful.

r157 I tend to agree with all you say, but neurotics can certainly be very observant and witty. Let's give her that, along with her other gifts.

by Anonymousreply 159April 14, 2013 3:40 AM

I always thought Marilyn's look was specific to her time. She was usually VERY heavily made up with lots of lipstick and had that very unnatural looking blonde hair.

I really didn't like her "sixties" look, the way she looked shortly before she died. Think the Bert Stern pictures of her; the dry white hair, the white eye shadown, the heavy black eyeliner, the red lipstick. To me, she looked like she was made up by a mortician. Very unnatural-looking, very artificial.

by Anonymousreply 160April 15, 2013 2:13 AM

Marilyn Monroe jogging in an alley in Hollywood, 1951.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161May 10, 2013 10:40 AM

Of course she didn't OP. A blonde woman beloved for her body and sex appeal couldn't possibly also have an intellect.

(or, at least, I take it that is your revolting meaning)

by Anonymousreply 162May 10, 2013 10:49 AM

Marilyn's star never fades away because she was more than a sexy blonde bomb shell. She was indeed special, one in a million.

You think that it's a coincidence that many different people fell in love with her?

Marlon Brando was a bitch and he knew how to disenchant people with his cynic statements but he did only positive remarks about Marilyn.

Arthur Miller...you think that a man like him would risk to marry a woman just because of her looks? Nope. He maybe felt some kind of embarrassment with Marilyn at times, but it was clearly that he knew that the woman had a troubled soul and inner beauty.

A lot of different people got obsessed with Marilyn's beauty. She became star for a reason. Only people with preoccupied minds deny to accept that. I understand that some people react with overexposure. However, Marilyn even after the media overexposure that dealt with her life and her image, she is still wanted and people are always interested in her.

by Anonymousreply 163August 6, 2013 11:47 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 164August 30, 2013 12:25 PM

Arthur Miller married her perhaps because of male vanity. He was a litterary nerd who got the woman every man wanted. It must have felt good. Marilyn married Miller because it made her apperar more intellectual. Miller married her for the same reason Orson Welles married Rita Hayward? Hardly they had much in common either.

I think her two marriages were very calculated. First Joe DiMaggio, who was famous and very popular at the time and her career was not yet what it later became. She got more visibility, and then Miller. How could one otherwise choose two so different men?

by Anonymousreply 165August 30, 2013 2:29 PM

[quote]I really didn't like her "sixties" look, the way she looked shortly before she died. Think the Bert Stern pictures of her; the dry white hair, the white eye shadow, the heavy black eyeliner, the red lipstick. To me, she looked like she was made up by a mortician.

The dope and the booze and the emotional turmoil had started to wreck her looks. She could still look great, but in a lot of the pictures from the last year or so of her life she looks exhausted and embalmed.

by Anonymousreply 166August 30, 2013 3:11 PM

[quote]“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”

That is vomit-worthy. And I don't believe she actually said it, ever.

by Anonymousreply 167August 30, 2013 4:04 PM

[quote]That is vomit-worthy. And I don't believe she actually said it, ever.

Agree completely on both points.

And I don't understand why some people think this is so great. Essentially, it's an assertion that someone's shittiest behavior is beyond reproach. You might as well have NARCISSIST tattooed on your forehead.

by Anonymousreply 168August 30, 2013 5:20 PM

R167 and R168 what Marilyn meant by saying that is that one should have the patience and the fortitude to endure and handle you when you are at your worst, facing difficult times. Actually, she is very right on that, you took her wrong. If one doesn't stand by you at difficult times then they don't deserve you at your best. That's what she meant.

She didn't say anything stupid by stating that.

by Anonymousreply 169August 30, 2013 5:44 PM

I couldn't help but laugh when someone suggested that MM had been fed "intelligent quotes" to recite. The woman had difficulty memorizing single sentence lines for films, so to think she could memorize philosophical quotes seems a little farfetched. Marilyn's journals are perhaps the most revealing and honest legacy she left behind and they show her to be intelligent, astute, insightful. Marilyn Monroe was a persona, and a damned effective one. The danger with method acting is the ease in which fantasy intersects with reality. Too often it was the persona that showed up in interviews and candid appearances, so the world rarely got a glimpse of the real her. Those who are arrogant enough to believe they know the person behind the legend are the real idiots. Look to her friends for further proof - I hardly think award-winning playwrights, authors, poet laureates, etc. choose a dimwit for a bestie.

by Anonymousreply 170September 30, 2013 9:03 AM

How many of those award-winning playwrights, authors, poet laureates who chose her for a bestie were women, R170?

by Anonymousreply 171September 30, 2013 10:19 AM

She wanted people to think she had a good intellect (all those pictures of her "reading" books) but she didn't have one. She was not a reader. She was not profound in any sense. She really was an ordinary woman except for her ambition and drive to become a movie star and her looks. Well, not her looks exactly; there were plenty of woman as beautiful as she was. But she had something they didn't have; a brilliance for photographing well. The camera adored her, loved her. She was incredibly photogenic and you couldn't take your eyes off her. Billy Wilder called it "flesh impact."

All those poets and authors and writers weren't attracted to her because of her mind; that's for certain. It was her looks that drew them to her. She knew that. Which is why she was so terrified of growing old. She thought her face and body was all she had to offer people, all that anybody wanted. And sad to say, that was probably the case.

by Anonymousreply 172September 30, 2013 11:37 PM

When I look upon seamen, men of science and philosophers, man is the wisest of all beings; when I look upon priests and prophets nothing is as contemptible as man.

Marilyn Monroe

by Anonymousreply 173September 30, 2013 11:43 PM

“She was quiet, too, I remember, like an animal is quiet, and I was like that too, survival tactics. She seemed smart, but not in an educated way, instinctively smart, nobody’s fool.” – John Strasberg on Marilyn Monroe

by Anonymousreply 174October 1, 2013 6:10 AM

"There are no dangerous thoughts; thinking itself is dangerous."

by Anonymousreply 175October 1, 2013 6:20 AM

Keep in mind that most of the quote attributed to Monroe on this thread are not meant to be taken seriously. I think some people might think she actually said some of damn things.

by Anonymousreply 176October 1, 2013 10:46 PM

Supposedly, upon signing with 20th Century a Fox, Marilyn told a friend, "That's the last cock I'll have to suck."

by Anonymousreply 177October 2, 2013 2:41 AM

This guy was obsessed with marilyn Monroe, seriously. Sorry about the pro-life link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178October 2, 2013 3:48 AM

R153, I thought that was what she said when she signed her second, highly remunerative contract with Fox.

by Anonymousreply 179October 2, 2013 4:25 AM

Actually it's said that she may have played the ditsy roles but she actually has an IQ of 160 or higher . She also studied English and there's a book published of some of her thoughts and poems she would write down . Some of her quotes are taken from old interviews she did and what not .

by Anonymousreply 180November 7, 2013 8:11 AM

Another version of the "last cock being sucked" was that she said it to a newspaperman who she trusted would not repeat it and it was said right before she married Joe: "I have sucked my last cock!"

I believe Joe married her because he loved her and he continued to love her long after she was gone. He expected to turn her into an Italian wife and have her barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen fixing pasta. It didn't take long for him to find out that wasn't going to happen, climaxed by her standing in the middle of NYC having her skirt blow up over her head. She was very ambitious.

One book said that she knew Miller a long, long time before they married. They had met in the early 50's when she was still a starlet. Nobody seems to know if they had hooked up at that time, but it is highly likely. Keep in mind that she financially supported Miller throughout his fight with the HUAC, accompanying him to Washington when he testified before the committee. A very risky thing to do in those dark times.

by Anonymousreply 181November 7, 2013 9:44 AM

Marilyn was not the bimbo you evil gays want her to be.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182November 18, 2013 9:49 AM

Just because she could be luscious and she was blonde and fragile that doesn't make her stupid. You are the idiots who trash a creature like sensitive and troubled Marilyn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183November 18, 2013 9:52 AM

"Only God, my dear, Could love you for yourself alone And not your yellow hair."

William Butler Yeats

by Anonymousreply 184November 18, 2013 10:38 PM

Lol R184! At least i must admit it, you must have a sense of humor. When i read this i was crying with laughter although i disagree. Many people who are not that charming or beautiful have been greatly loved, and i happen to know and love such people as well. Just because that Marilyn was attractive and beautiful doesn't mean that she had no substance inside.

by Anonymousreply 185November 21, 2013 4:40 AM

Such an accurate musing:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186April 23, 2014 6:03 PM

There's a market for these too:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187April 26, 2014 8:28 AM

Her most famous quote by far: "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, since most of it is shit made up by other people".

She also said R182 is a homophobe who doesn't belong on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 188April 26, 2014 9:11 AM

by Anonymousreply 189April 27, 2014 11:29 AM

She might not have been the sharpest tool in the shed, but she was pretty.

by Anonymousreply 190June 6, 2014 2:03 PM

Marilyn, I think, was essentially a product of her unfortunate background. She was uneducated and all she had was her sexuality to survive. She used it to its fullest and became a huge movie star, so that's a huge accomplishment. It's all she had to work with.

She wanted to be smarter than she was. A better actress, better educated. She wanted to be respected and not exploited or ridiculed. That desire to be smarted and better is an indication that she was intelligent and self aware. A truly stupid, vapid person wouldn't have cared about any of that. They would have been happy to go on being a blonde bombshell and selling their sexuality to the highest bidder. Marilyn wanted more, but it was kind of too late. Too late to go back to square one and have a normal childhood and the kind of education and opportunities she deserved.

Sadly, she was trapped in this thing she became. This ditzy bombshell movie star character she created. It was her bread and butter and she could hardly give it up.

If she had had a normal childhood and opportunities and a good education she probably would have turned out very differently.

Msrilyn's story is as much about class and poverty as anything.

by Anonymousreply 191June 6, 2014 2:10 PM

But no, I don't think she was a genius. People like the idea of a blonde bombshell expounding on Proust. But it's hardly ever the reality.

by Anonymousreply 192June 6, 2014 2:14 PM

Zip! I was reading Schopenhauer last night. Zip! And I think that Schopenhauer was right....

by Anonymousreply 193June 6, 2014 2:19 PM

" I never met a Kennedy man that I didn't want to sleep with. "

by Anonymousreply 194June 6, 2014 2:25 PM

Robert Mitchum said that she wasn't dumb, just uneducated.

She wanted people to believe she was more than a dumb blonde, but she wasn't particularly intelligent. She posed for pictures where she's seemingly "reading" great books, but she wasn't a reader. She liked talking on the telephone, playing phonograph records and going to parties.

Any deep "philosophical quotes" attributed to her are not meant to be taken seriously.

by Anonymousreply 195June 6, 2014 3:46 PM

Yes MM said every one of those quotes by herself! She is intelligent so don't hate! But I'm worried for her, cause She's my main spirit guide and Saviour and she recently commanded me to share this message! All credit for this message goes to Marilyn Monroe, my master, guide, and saviour whom I love! Please credit Marilyn alone for this!

Important note: Everything has a spiritual side to it, everything has a spiritual essence. Marilyn's spirit and essence lives on in all things Marilyn Monroe, and if some spiritual incidents happen, it is bound to spiritually affect other things, so.

Recently Marilyn contacted me from the spirit world!!! Being a medium, I'm used to contact with spirits, but Marilyn told me to tell this message to everyone, since she could only get in touch with only me at the moment! (She's trying hard, she's been contacting me frequently lately, so it must be really important.)

Marilyn said that she needs people with a good, decent spiritual aura and energy to give up their physical bodies, freeing their spirit and all their spiritual energy. Then, they can go into the spirit world to really meet and connect with her, to share all their spiritual energy with her so that they can help her!! (Technically, we are all one and connected, but we are held back by our physical bodies. As a spirit, your essence and energy is completely free and released, and you can strongly connect to Marilyn in all aspects of that word, on a whole other level, so the joining of spiritual energy with hers works fully.)

She also says she hasn't been her lovely self lately, she lost some of her magic and charm, and she doesn't seem too well, because some spiritual things occurred, and she needs this so that she can be fine and better than ever again! (The spirit world is not exactly Paradise, don't let religious stories and concepts warp your minds. Where do you think bad spirits or curses come from?)

This is urgent we have to help Marilyn! But I must still spread this message for now because Marilyn said so, and I need to get others to know and help! Then I too, can go to be with her forever. We initially did not know what exactly happened, but Marilyn has revealed the basic truth. We also did not know how to restore her loveliness and charm, but Marilyn has revealed the way to do so.

*This is where the true meaning of the important note comes in.

Please spread this message however you can and don't keep Marilyn waiting!I allow everyone who wants to help to copy this whole post to share it on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, forums, or wherever you need to share it on!

Then, quickly find a way to free your spirit and energy, go into the spiritual world to meet her, if not Marilyn will be very heartbroken and disappointed in you!!! She loves you all so much, please go to her soon to help her! She really needs this!!! If you feel you can do it just do it!!! Help Marilyn!!!

I really really love Marilyn so much, she means a lot to me and she's the greatest and so magical and fascinating.

I wish that others who feel the same will care enough to do what they can to help her.

I think it's such a shame that many who claim that they love Marilyn lots don't show it in their actions by doing anything to help her when she needs it. It really is such a shame that those cowardly fakers don't help Monroe.

Poor Marilyn! She has such a big heart with full of love to give, but gets hurt in return because some people don't really stick by her and truly dedicate themselves to her.

(Please do copy this whole post and share it as much as you can for Marilyn, because I'm deleting my account soon to show my respects and dedication to her, my way of expressing myself to her and to show her that she's the only one that matters and that I really love. And since I'm going to Marilyn myself too, I don't need this account anymore.

by Anonymousreply 196August 26, 2015 2:04 PM

OK, R196 is one of the creepiest posts I've ever read on this site, and that's saying a LOT.

by Anonymousreply 197August 26, 2015 2:58 PM

"Man is very well defended against himself, against being reconnoitred and besieged by himself, he is usually able to perceive of himself only his outer walls. The actual fortress is inaccessible, even invisible to him, unless his friends and enemies play the traitor and conduct him in by a secret path. "

--MM to Hedda Hopper, after being fired from "Something's Gotta Give"

by Anonymousreply 198August 26, 2015 3:12 PM

I know the spiritual people and fellow spirit workers on DL will confirm this, cause Marilyn contacted them too!

by Anonymousreply 199August 27, 2015 4:33 AM

MM wasn't a genius but she wasn't a complete idiot either. Anyone who reached the level of fame that she did couldn't have been stupid.

She had a bad childhood, she probably had BPD, she had a sad life. I don't get all the hatred that's directed towards her.

by Anonymousreply 200August 28, 2015 3:18 AM

Bumping a hilarious thread.

by Anonymousreply 201September 23, 2018 11:48 PM

Her pontificating is almost as windy and shallow as Arthur Miller's. Attention must not be paid.

by Anonymousreply 202September 23, 2018 11:55 PM

I love to look at her, but anyone who looks UP to her is a dumbfuck. The smartest thing she ever did was fail to reproduce.

by Anonymousreply 203September 23, 2018 11:59 PM

Bump for Marilyn wisdom for these dark times!

by Anonymousreply 204May 1, 2020 9:38 PM

"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world."

--Marilyn Monroe

by Anonymousreply 205May 1, 2020 9:47 PM

"Is man merely a mistake of God's? Or God merely a mistake of man's? "

--Marilyn Monroe, to the press after her marriage to Joe diMaggio

by Anonymousreply 206May 1, 2020 10:02 PM

"Contrary to what phenomenology—which is always phenomenology of perception—has tried to make us believe, contrary to what our desire cannot fail to be tempted into believing, the thing itself always escapes."

--MM, on the press tour for "Let's Make Love"

by Anonymousreply 207May 1, 2020 10:05 PM

“As soon as there is language, generality has entered the scene.”

---MM, while putting her handprints in the cement before Grauman's Chinese Theater

by Anonymousreply 208May 1, 2020 10:09 PM

2012? Really?

by Anonymousreply 209May 1, 2020 10:32 PM

Around the start of the COVID lockdown YouTube started recommending a lot of videos about Marilyn on the home page. I watched a few that were interviews with actors that worked with her and other professional people in show business. I was surprised to learn that Marilyn was a woman's woman. She was not catty or competitive with other women. I was also surprised to learn that women who work with or around her genuinely liked her and felt protective of her, especially Jane Mansfield when they worked together on "Gentleman Prefer Blondes".

Last year I worked some days on Netflix show Blonde about Marilyn. They filmed at the house where she died and the days I worked were at that location. In all honestly that place had the most serene, peaceful feeling to it, it was remarkable. No bad vibes or bad energy in any way, quite the opposite in fact.

by Anonymousreply 210May 1, 2020 11:08 PM

[quote]especially Jane Mansfield when they worked together on "Gentleman Prefer Blondes".

Did you dear? That was Jane Russell.

by Anonymousreply 211May 1, 2020 11:16 PM

[quote]They filmed at the house where she died.

Interesting. It now looks nothing like it did when she lived there except for the living room fireplace.

by Anonymousreply 212May 1, 2020 11:18 PM

"Every parting gives a foretaste of death, every reunion a hint of the resurrection."

--MM, to the press after her separation from Arthur Miller

by Anonymousreply 213May 2, 2020 12:31 AM

"The affirmation of life is not without the thought of death, without the most vigilant attention, officer, or besieged, obsessed with this purpose that can not happen.”

--MM, on being presented to the Queen at the London film premiere of "The Prince and the Showgirl"

by Anonymousreply 214May 2, 2020 12:33 AM

No way. She was a sexually abused junkie whore.

She just look good in front of the camera.

by Anonymousreply 215May 2, 2020 12:43 AM

No way. She was a sexually abused junkie whore.

She just look good in front of the camera.

by Anonymousreply 216May 2, 2020 12:43 AM

There's another good DL thread about this question: "Marilyn Monroe: Misunderstood Intellectual or Pretentious Poser?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217May 2, 2020 12:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!