Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Kelli O'Hara and Nathan Gunn to star in PBS broadcast of R&H CAROUSEL

Yes, they have been signed. No announcement yet but Ms. O'Hara and Mr. Gunn will be playing Julie Jordan and Billy Bigelow. Directed by Jimmy Breslin. Link to advance teaser Playbill story.

by Anonymousreply 7004/29/2013

Is Gunn a good actor?

by Anonymousreply 102/22/2012

Don't know about that but he looks good without a shirt.

anyone seen the feets??

by Anonymousreply 202/22/2012

I nominate Nikki James for Carrie!

by Anonymousreply 302/22/2012

I think Nathan Gunn's a little too milquetoast-y to make a good Billy Bigelow. You need someone with an edge. Nathan doesn't have that edge. And Julie isn't such a big part. If you think about it, she only sings 2 songs: If I Loved You and What's the Use of Wond'rin. Carrie, in fact, is a meatier role in my opinion. Audra cut her teeth on it in 1994.

by Anonymousreply 402/22/2012

Love both of them but don't think they are right for Billy and Julie. I especially agree with r4 about Gunn.

Years ago, I saw Hugh Jackman as Billy and Audra McDonald as Julie in concert at Carnegie Hall. They were terrific.

by Anonymousreply 502/22/2012

Hugh Jackman's shrill, nasal voice had no business singing Billy Bigelow - it was unpleasant to listen to.

by Anonymousreply 602/22/2012

Gunn's doing very well as Ravenal in the SHOW BOAT that started in Chicago and is now touring opera houses - he's the only real actor in the cast. He'll do fine as Billy Bigelow, at least as far as a Philharmonic staged concert is concerned.

Meanwhile, when will their COMPANY (NPH, Patti, etc.) get the DVD release Lonny Price promised??

by Anonymousreply 702/23/2012

JIMMY BRESLIN?

Try James Brennan.

by Anonymousreply 802/23/2012

I thought Nathan Gunn was excellent in that wretched Camelot - he was actually the only good thing in it.

And his feet are on display in the theater gossip thread. (As well as evidence of major meat).

by Anonymousreply 902/23/2012

Interestingly, Gunn's wife is named Julie Jordan.

by Anonymousreply 1002/23/2012

Disagree r6. Jackman's nasality and vocal roughness seemed a perfect match for the misfit barker, although it was quite a change from the sylvan voiced midcentury Billy's. Gunn's vocal instrument has that clarity and perfection, but that doesn't make him Billy Bigelow.

However, as far as Jean Valjean goes, your vocal objections to Jackman may well prove all too valid .... time will tell. I'm going to keep an open mind but to me that character and scoring require a vocal lightness and clarity that Jackman simply doesn't have. And in terms of personality and physique, he's more a Javert than a Valjean (and Crowe is, ironically, more a Valjean than a Javert).

by Anonymousreply 1102/23/2012

LOL R8 Yup, I wasn't thinking when I typed that!

by Anonymousreply 1202/23/2012

Dame Kiri for Nettie!

by Anonymousreply 1302/23/2012

They're gonna lower the keys for Hugh's Valjean. And Nathan will be fine as Billy, particularly in they put him in a tight striped jersey.

by Anonymousreply 1402/23/2012

is Kelli not committed to "Nice Work" for the standard year? I know she's taking time off this summer to do another production as well.

by Anonymousreply 1504/02/2012

They're both way too old!

Jeremy Jordan and Laura Osnes would be perfect casting. In this day and age those characters have to be reckless youth to make sense.

by Anonymousreply 1604/02/2012

Oh, Christ, who cares?

by Anonymousreply 1704/02/2012

Stephanie Blythe for Nettie!

by Anonymousreply 1804/02/2012

Stephanie Blythe could only play the Carousel.

by Anonymousreply 1904/02/2012

Ouch!

by Anonymousreply 2004/02/2012

R13- CAROUSEL concert is planned for next year.

by Anonymousreply 2104/03/2012

Joyce Di Donato for Julie with christine brewer as Nettie.

by Anonymousreply 2204/04/2012

Oh my. I read this as 'Kelli O'Hara and Nathan Lane to star in PBS broadcast of CAROUEL' and nearly spit up my milk.

by Anonymousreply 2304/05/2012

Kelli is so fabulous in "Nice Work"..hope she gets a Tony nod.

by Anonymousreply 2404/07/2012

Blow high, blow low!

by Anonymousreply 2504/08/2012

I agree R24. Kelli is wonderful as Billie.

by Anonymousreply 2604/08/2012

That is some pointless bitchery R19. She's one of the best singers out there. Big gal but so damn what?

by Anonymousreply 2704/09/2012

Isn't she too old? If she was 26 in "Valley of the Dollies," she's gotta be 70 now.

And nice to see that man from "Project Runaway" get some work.

by Anonymousreply 2804/09/2012

Nathan Gunn is a handsome man with a good solid voice and probably fine on stage, but, Jesus, is he vocally dull. I have his recording of The Barber of Seville, and he's the least exciting Figaro in the history of opera.

by Anonymousreply 2904/09/2012

Could have sworn Paulo Szot was campaigning for this role. He's been doing a couple of "Carousel" songs in concert with O'Hara since they began working together, and in his cabaret act. But he turned down the West End "South Pacific" for the fall of '12, so maybe he has opera gigs lined up -- or doesn't want to be typecast as a permanent Broadway performer.

by Anonymousreply 3004/09/2012

Kelli O'Hara and Sutton Foster despise one another

by Anonymousreply 3104/09/2012

r30 here -- sorry, the songs Szot's been performing are "Soliloquy" and "If I Loved You."

Also -- maybe the West End producers used Szot's supposed scheduling issues as an excuse for projected slow ticket sales.

by Anonymousreply 3204/09/2012

This would be much more interesting if Jimmy Breslin actually was the director.

by Anonymousreply 3304/09/2012

[quote]Nathan Gunn is a handsome man with a good solid voice and probably fine on stage, but, Jesus, is he vocally dull.

Perhaps it depends on how much he's into the role. Listen to "Billy Budd."

by Anonymousreply 3404/12/2012

Shirtless Gunn

by Anonymousreply 3504/12/2012

Hunk!

by Anonymousreply 3604/12/2012

Nathan Gunn and Rod Gilfry.

by Anonymousreply 3704/12/2012

Kelli & Matthew were really flirting it up at today's performance. Lots of laughing and smiling at each other and kissing. I saw this in early previews and they didn't seem this cozy? Just sayin..

by Anonymousreply 3805/13/2012

Excuse me, R16, but bullshit. Jeremy and Laura may be talented but they don't have the chops or substance to play these roles.

by Anonymousreply 3905/13/2012

It's on tonight. Anyone watching?

by Anonymousreply 4004/26/2013

Nathan shirtless

by Anonymousreply 4104/26/2013

I posted this on the theater thread: Couldn't someone have told Kate Burton that Mainers don't have Brooklyn accents?

Dumb question: They call this "Live from Lincoln Center." Is it actually live? (At least in the east? )

by Anonymousreply 4204/27/2013

I want Nathan Gunn inside me quite deeply.

But damn it, no bare feets. I remember when he played an astronaut in some opera for Channel 4 in the UK and I shot several loads-there were several shots of him in pajama bottoms only lolling about on a bed.

by Anonymousreply 4304/27/2013

When will it air?

by Anonymousreply 4404/27/2013

R44 It aired tonight.

by Anonymousreply 4504/27/2013

R20 Just what we need: A Polish-Brazilian Billy

by Anonymousreply 4604/27/2013

Am I the only one to see a strong resemblance between Nathan Gunn and Russell Crowe?

The PBS show was mostly tedious in the extreme. I feel like TV just cannot capture the thrill of live performance, though this might have been tedious live at the Philharmonic as well. It was all downhill after the overture.

by Anonymousreply 4704/27/2013

The overture was thrilling. The performance was serviceable. I was expecting "If I Loved You" to know my socks off. It didn't.

by Anonymousreply 4804/27/2013

Why was Kelli made to wear that awful brunette wig? What was the point of that?

by Anonymousreply 4904/27/2013

Did he have any shirtless scenes?

by Anonymousreply 5004/27/2013

Not only didn't he have any shirtless scenes, but when June was bustlin' out all over, Nathan was warmly wrapped up in a collared shetland sweater and wool pea coat. I guess he didn't get the message.

by Anonymousreply 5104/27/2013

I did really enjoy the fully orchestrated overture (basically, "The Carousel Waltz".)

by Anonymousreply 5204/27/2013

Did the slap feel like a kiss?

by Anonymousreply 5304/27/2013

I'm kind of over Kelli O'Hara. She sounds the same in every role and for some reason they always mic her too much, I feel like if the sound guy turned her mic lower I'd enjoy her pipes more because she'd throw it out there. To me she's a little mannered.

by Anonymousreply 5404/27/2013

Stephanie Blythe's rendition of You'll Never Walk Alone was one of the best I have ever heard!! Yes, even better than Shirley Verrett's. Kelli O'Hara did very well.Especially in the death scene. Nathan Gunn was the weak link for me. Not enough grit to play Bigelow. The music of Carousel is so beautiful and strong, almost any production will work.

by Anonymousreply 5504/27/2013

[quote] Dumb question: They call this "Live from Lincoln Center." Is it actually live?

No, it's not broadcast live, as it happens. It was recorded in February-March 2013.

by Anonymousreply 5604/27/2013

Too many of the actors were confusing New York/Brooklyn accents with Maine accents.

by Anonymousreply 5704/27/2013

Nathan Gunn has a fine voice but if you don't get to see his pecs, you're not getting your money's worth.

by Anonymousreply 5804/28/2013

a really cute friend of mine is in the cast. you should see it.

by Anonymousreply 5904/28/2013

I like Gunn in Project Runway, but I didn't know he was also an actor.

by Anonymousreply 6004/28/2013

Let's place bets on how many times R47 can use "tedious" in a paragraph.

by Anonymousreply 6104/28/2013

What an awful crux of the drama - Billy hits his wife, kills himself and then comes back as a ghost and ends up hitting his daughter within one minute of meeting her. The rest is good to great, but the show cannot entirely overcome that big problem to any attentive viewer... can it? I guess it's not SOUTH PACIFIC perfect, but, then again, what is?

What did audiences in 1994 think of it, the last time it was majorly revived in NY? Was Hytner's production flashy enough so as to distract and most didn't really care that the show is unfortunately quite flawed?

Yes, the music is gorgeous. Weird story, alas.

John Rando certainly didn't erase DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES from anyone's memory with this, either. That said, it moved pretty swiftly, as old-fashioned and corny as the subplots are. Judging by the scant responses here, it must not have been very well-viewed. I liked it quite a lot, but the violence is a problem.

by Anonymousreply 6204/28/2013

"What an awful crux of the drama - Billy hits his wife, kills himself and then comes back as a ghost and ends up hitting his daughter within one minute of meeting her. The rest is good to great, but the show cannot entirely overcome that big problem to any attentive viewer... can it? I guess it's not SOUTH PACIFIC perfect, but, then again, what is?

What did audiences in 1994 think of it, the last time it was majorly revived in NY? Was Hytner's production flashy enough so as to distract and most didn't really care that the show is unfortunately quite flawed?"

r62, there's nothing to distract from - what you describe (plus the ending) IS the show. It's not an issue of overcoming that; that's the story it's telling, the story of a really fucked-up guy who does fucked-up things. And I don't think you have to be a particularly attentive viewer to pick up on the fact that he does fucked-up things; it's the center of the show! You sort of seem to be addressing it as if it's a show about Carrie and Mr. Snow, with the Billy Bigelow stuff as a sort of flaw in the background.

I would say that in '94, critics and theatre buffs loved it; I guess maybe the run of ten months means that audiences were sort of mixed.

by Anonymousreply 6304/28/2013

snooze.......the most uninspiring production of this classic I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 6404/28/2013

Carousel is one of the first musicals to have a tragic plot. It is based upon Liliom. It is also rare in that the musical does not have an overture. It begins with the familiar Carousel waltz.

by Anonymousreply 6504/28/2013

WEre overtures that had portions of the score really that common in the 1940s?

by Anonymousreply 6604/28/2013

I found the telecast to be charmless and uninspriring, considering the depth of the material.

If Kelli O'Hara and Jessie Mueller are now considered the creme of female Broadway musical stars, that is dismal indeed. And Nathan Gunn was just clunky. He seemed too old for the role.

The only actors who I felt really achieved distinction were Stephanie Blythe and Jason Daniely.

by Anonymousreply 6704/28/2013

Nathan has provided his wife Julie Jordan with several little Gunns!! You just know he is hung and shoots huge loads!!

by Anonymousreply 6804/28/2013

I agree with R67. Daniely and Blythe both gave committed performances. Everybody else phoned theirs in.

by Anonymousreply 6904/29/2013

I haven't seen a theatrical production of the show, only the movie. I liked Jessie Mueller as Carrie and Jason Daniely as Enoch. I thought that the second leads had more chemistry and held my interest more than the nominal leads.

While not as disturbed by the violence as R62, I did find the musical oddly structured and the main love story felt truncated. Also, the suicide seems like a bit of an overreaction. Louise had a horrible case of Dancer Face which drove me nuts. I didn't hate it and it was good to become reacquainted with the piece again.

by Anonymousreply 7004/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.