Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do you pray to the ancient Gods of Olympus?

When I was 9 years old, I found a copy of D'aulaire's Book of Greek Myths at our local library and was taken with the stories as well as the distinct personalities of the Gods and Goddesses. From that age, I began praying to Athena every day for wisdom, Aphrodite for love, and Zeus for prosperity.

Their guidance has never failed me.

I had a friend in high school who was horrified when she found out and spent the entire semester trying to convince me to go to her church and be "saved." She finally gave up in disgust and tried to convince everyone that I was a devil worshipper, but thankfully no one took her seriously.

Periodically, I'll bring a date over who will gawk at the tiny shrine to Pallas Athena that I have set up in a corner of my living room, but most guys either pay no attention, or they think of it as a harmless eccentricity.

Any other polytheists on the DL?

by Anonymousreply 5203/20/2014

you're fucking cool OP, I'm not a polytheist but I did found a duotheistic religion

by Anonymousreply 102/22/2012

FREAK!

by Anonymousreply 202/22/2012

Whenever overtly religious people start yammering on, I always say, "Yeah, the ancient Greeks thought all of their gods were real, too.

by Anonymousreply 302/22/2012

These guys pray to the Roman gods....

by Anonymousreply 402/22/2012

Oh, Hera!

by Anonymousreply 502/22/2012

At least those gods were interesting and flawed.

by Anonymousreply 602/22/2012

You're praying to the ancient gods without benefit of animal sacrifices? And you haven't been struck by lightning or made the subject of some other cautionary tale?

Be warned, prayer isn't enough for that lot.

by Anonymousreply 802/22/2012

I also work with the Greek gods...but Egyptian moreso. Notice how OP wasn't looking for others to validate his beliefs. This is one of the greatest things that has been lost to modern monotheistic faiths.

by Anonymousreply 902/23/2012

Thanks, R9. The Greek Gods have always spoken to me, as well as their Roman counterparts, for whom many of our planets are named. On clear nights I gaze up at the Evening Star and direct my prayers to Venus/Aphrodite.

I feel such a profound connection to the Universe and everything within It.

by Anonymousreply 1002/23/2012

Not the ancient Greek / Roman gods for me, but I am a pagan. Cernunnos--The Horned One--is my deity and has been since I was a teen. Weather permitting, I love going out into the woods skyclad and just grooving with nature.

R10--I hear you! We are ALL connected!

by Anonymousreply 1102/23/2012

Yes.

Athena.

by Anonymousreply 1202/23/2012

OP, you could pray directly to the Evening Star rather than to Aphrodite, as the herdsman does for the shepherd he's in love with in Bion of Smyrna, fragment 11.

by Anonymousreply 1302/23/2012

No, but I'm being stalked by Pazuzu.

by Anonymousreply 1402/23/2012

OP, I really enjoy Greek mythology and find their gods fascinating, I think your prayers to them are cool.

by Anonymousreply 1502/23/2012

OP uses rock deodorant

by Anonymousreply 1602/23/2012

How can something that never existed provide you with guidance?

Just curious.

by Anonymousreply 1702/23/2012

W&W for R5!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1802/23/2012

I used to LOVE my greek mythology books as a boy, as much for the nude athletics and wrestling as for the various gods and monsters.

by Anonymousreply 1902/23/2012

I am pro Hestia

by Anonymousreply 2002/23/2012

I had that same book op! I read it over and over again. Did "book reports" on it. I wish I knew where it was because I would still like to have it on my bookshelf.

by Anonymousreply 2102/23/2012

I am a devotee of Shango, the Orisha (Yoruban god) of thunder and fire.

by Anonymousreply 2202/23/2012

Antinous, who was made a god by his lover, the Roman Emperor Hadrian.

And he was an out gay.

And stunningly beautiful.

His "religion" lasted for about 500 years, not too shabby for a hot twink who died too young (probably sacrificed himself in the Nile for his DILF).

So, much like religion today, it makes people do crazy things.

I'm a Deist, much like our Founding Fathers.

by Anonymousreply 2302/23/2012

I pray to Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor! Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

by Anonymousreply 2402/23/2012

Here on DL, I learned of Gilgamesh.

by Anonymousreply 2502/23/2012

Whenever I hear the word "skyclad" I want to hurl. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 2602/23/2012

OP, do you actually believe that these gods exist? Legit question.

by Anonymousreply 2702/23/2012

More lucrative not to believe:

Prayer banner: Atheist teen speaks out, lands $44,000 scholarship

By Rene Lynch

February 22, 2012, 11:41 a.m.

A Rhode Island teen is learning that it pays to deny the existence of God: Prominent atheists plan to present Jessica Ahlquist with a scholarship of at least $44,000 -- and possibly more.

It seems they were impressed with the way Ahlquist, 16, handled herself amid a roiling controversy that began in July 2010, when she complained about a prayer banner hanging in the auditorium at Cranston High School West that referred to "Our Heavenly Father."

School authorities brushed off her complaint, saying the banner was artistic and historic, as it had been hanging there for decades. Ahlquist later joined the American Civil Liberties Union in a suit alleging that the banner made her feel "ostracized and out of place."

After much legal wrangling, a court ruled that the banner needed to be removed -- and an uproar ensued.

The controversy helped Ahlquist, an atheist, collect thousands of friends and followers on Facebook and Twitter.

But it also sparked outrage on behalf of many others who embraced the banner and wanted the school district to stand firm. A state legislator called Ahlquist an "evil little thing." There were death threats. The financially strapped school district spent tens of thousands on legal fees. And recall threats were lodged against the school board.

Those school board jobs are still in jeopardy; the district voted last week to end the appeals process to save money.

Blogger Hemant Mehta who writes the Friendly Atheist started a campaign to raise scholarship money for Ahlquist, and the American Humanist Assn. is also helping to oversee the fund-raising effort, which runs through the end of the month.

"The way she has handled herself throughout this whole ordeal is admirable far beyond anything most people would expect from a high school student," Mehta wrote.

So far, the fund has raised $44,000 for Ahlquist. Mehta and the association say she earned the scholarship by standing up to critics "with class and style."

by Anonymousreply 2802/23/2012

Here it is, R21.

by Anonymousreply 2902/24/2012

OP you're going straight to Hades!

by Anonymousreply 3002/24/2012

I think it's fabulous, OP. You were appealing to the best part of yourself in each god/goddess. I am totally on board with that!

by Anonymousreply 3102/24/2012

R30, we're all going to Hades. Unless Zeus takes you as his gay lover and grants you immortal life.

by Anonymousreply 3202/24/2012

Well, yes I do, but I don't know how to pray, and if you could say how you do it that would help.

by Anonymousreply 3310/12/2013

I think we should revive the worship of the Olympians. They had their flaws, of course, but better them than the horrible God of the Christians!

Just so you know, it's fairly easy to make animal sacrifices to the Gods of Olympus. The ancient Greeks would slaughter a flawless animal on the altar, and then they'd eat the meat and burn the fat, bones, and skin as the Gods' portion. I suppose the modern temple-less equivalent would be to cook a steak, and burn the fat and bone to honor the Ancient Gods. After you turn off your smoke alarm.

by Anonymousreply 3410/12/2013

It's just getting so darned hard to find virgins to sacrifice these days ...

by Anonymousreply 3510/12/2013

I did check Greek mythology books out of the library as a kid.

But it was to look at the naked guys.

by Anonymousreply 3610/12/2013

Sadly we've replaced the great Greek and Roman gods and goddesses with celebrities. It makes me sick. The Greek & Roman variety were so much more interesting & brilliant, and beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 3710/12/2013

Suffering Sappho!

by Anonymousreply 3810/12/2013

I loved that book and still have a copy somewhere. The illustrations were awesome.

by Anonymousreply 3910/12/2013

When visiting the temple prostitute was as routine as a bike sharing program is today....

by Anonymousreply 4010/12/2013

Bulfinch's Mythology wasn't as compelling

by Anonymousreply 4110/12/2013

Oh please you just want the hot Greek god studs to plow you. Don't lie, OP!

by Anonymousreply 4210/12/2013

Haephaestus can park his anvil under my bed any day.

by Anonymousreply 4310/12/2013

Not a believer, but I could go for an Ares who looks like the late Kevin Smith.

by Anonymousreply 4410/12/2013

Is polytheism like taking more than one dick at a time up your ass at the baths?

by Anonymousreply 4510/12/2013

i think there arent enough people beliveing in the greek pantheon but i do believe in them and i respect anyone who does so as well and even more so those who openly admit it. it takes something of a special strenght to stand up for what you believe in

by Anonymousreply 4603/20/2014

I've read Robert Graves and Margaret Hamilton, but not the one you read, OP. I did go thru a period of confusion about them, believing the stories were real in the way that Ancient History was real, when I was a kid.

I went to Catholic School, but I got the mythology books from the Public Library. When The nuns saw me with it, she smashed me in the head with the book, then punched me in the back and wrote a note to my mother telling her I was without a doubt going straight to hell, and so was Ma. next year I went to public school. Fuck them. I was 11 at the time.

by Anonymousreply 4703/20/2014

I'm an atheist but I totally get OP. If I was religious I would rather pray to someone who looks like this

by Anonymousreply 4803/20/2014

than to someone like this!

by Anonymousreply 4903/20/2014

Robert Graves was a believer in the White Goddess.

by Anonymousreply 5003/20/2014

I think this means there is lead in the water of Palm Beach Gardens.

by Anonymousreply 5103/20/2014

I read this quote as a schoolboy and it fixed me for life:

Those who pray to God are misguided: those who pray to the Devil are fools.

by Anonymousreply 5203/20/2014
Need more help? Click Here.