Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

GCB (formerly known as Good Christian Bitches)

I was worried it would be a dumb Desperate Housewives redux. I have to say that from the trailers, I am cautiously optimistic.

And…Annie Potts!

by Anonymousreply 34005/15/2012

Is anyone planning to watch this? It looks kind of terrible, but it's getting decent reviews.

by Anonymousreply 103/02/2012

I'll be tuning in.

by Anonymousreply 203/02/2012

I'll check it out.

by Anonymousreply 303/02/2012

slate loved it

“I Will Never Go Back to Dallas!” ABC’s GCB is a gaudy, tacky, frosted-pink delight.

by Anonymousreply 403/02/2012

Absolutely not. It just encourages them.

by Anonymousreply 503/02/2012

It's marketed as an over-the-top comedy, but I can assure you that it's an accurate portrayal of life in the wealthy enclaves of Dallas.

by Anonymousreply 603/02/2012

Good Christian Bitches is slightly funny as a title, but will there be a Good Muslim Bitches or a Good Jewish Bitches etc, just to make sure all religions are represented?

by Anonymousreply 703/02/2012

[quote] Good Christian Bitches is slightly funny as a title, but will there be a Good Muslim Bitches or a Good Jewish Bitches etc, just to make sure all religions are represented?

you would need to ask the author of the book the series is based on.

by Anonymousreply 803/02/2012

Actually, I can't wait! It looks quite over the top and FUN. Couple of hot gay guys too from what I saw in one trailer online.

by Anonymousreply 903/02/2012

I'll watch the first show and hope for the best, but really - this kind of Southern/Texas stuff has been done to death.

by Anonymousreply 1003/02/2012

[quote]I'll watch the first show and hope for the best, but really - this kind of Southern/Texas stuff has been done to death.

Why-ah, I don't know whut you mean!

by Anonymousreply 1103/02/2012

These are the type of women that Mary Cherry was based on, iirc.

by Anonymousreply 1203/02/2012

Looks like good campy fun of course that means it won't last long.

by Anonymousreply 1303/02/2012

Annie Potts looks really great for her age. That little blond chick and the tall blonde lead actress look like botoxed puppets - big puffy cheeks.

by Anonymousreply 1403/04/2012

Annie Potts was in a horrific car wreck along with her first husband. She developed an arthritic condition as a result of that along with her other injuries. And, her first husband lost a leg.

On "Designing Women" Annie Potts would sometimes have her arthritic condition act up. This was very obvious in the first few seasons because her character would literally barely walk and would oftentimes sit behind her desk. They also gave her character really big hair because Annie Potts is a very petite lady.

The folks behind that show grew weary with Annie Potts (sadly) having to sit about and started to write less and less for her. (The late) Dixie Carter would not stand for that and put her foot down about it and that is one of the reasons why Annie Potts's character wound up having a proper role and character trajectory.

For "GCB" p.r. and such, Annie Potts has spoken very highly of (the late) Dixie Carter and the story I have shared with everyone is why. If she still feels that (the late) Dixie Carter was a nice influence on her within her personal and professional life and well as comically, then I would bet her character on "GCB" will be great because she is coming from a nice place.

by Anonymousreply 1503/04/2012

For someone who has a hard time getting around, Potts keeps her figure in good shape.

by Anonymousreply 1603/04/2012

I can't help but think this will be a huge misfire.

by Anonymousreply 1703/04/2012

AMERICANA starring Anthony LaPaglia and 666 PARK AVENUE starring Terry O'Quinn will probably take the 9 pm and 10 pm Sunday night slots on ABC in the fall.

by Anonymousreply 1803/04/2012

Oooh... Brokeback Cowboys!! Mark Deklin is hot.

by Anonymousreply 1903/04/2012

The lead character looks 10 years younger than her old classmates. She is not sympathetic because she's too pretty.

by Anonymousreply 2003/04/2012

A bit uneven so far but lots of man candy.

by Anonymousreply 2103/04/2012

If Mark Deklin ever smiled at me you would have to scrape me off the floor with a spatula.

by Anonymousreply 2203/04/2012

Not that funny, not that well written, but the men on the show are hot!

by Anonymousreply 2403/04/2012

I'll give it another couple of episodes see if it gets better. This was only the pilot.

by Anonymousreply 2503/04/2012

Love Annie Potts, Kristi Dawn Chenoweth is well cast. But Leslie Bibb ain't much of an actress. And the show didn't do much for me. Might give it another episode or two.

by Anonymousreply 2603/04/2012

I thought it was awful. Even worse than Smash, which is really saying something.

Why didn't Amanda (I think that's the too-young lead's name) just ask the kindly black man behind the Neiman-Marcus desk who sent her the gift card?

David James Elliott cannot play comedy.

The car salesman husband was kind of cute.

Mark Deklin pings so no great surprise there!

Kristin looks dried out and embalmed. If she's going to wear wigs, can't they be moister?

Thank you r15 for explaining why Annie Potts indeed looks to be in physical pain. I thought it odd that she wasn't wearing higher heels like the other bitches.

by Anonymousreply 2703/04/2012

Well, at least they'll stop picking on us now!

by Anonymousreply 2803/04/2012

Is this supposed to be a documentary?

by Anonymousreply 2903/04/2012

The Heather character looks to be the same age as Bibbs character.

Did they really call the dogs Tony and Romo?

Ha!! That's funny.

by Anonymousreply 3003/04/2012

Kristi Dawn looks absolutely horrible....Doesn't she own a mirror?

by Anonymousreply 3103/04/2012

Woo hoo!

Hotie gay couple alert!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3203/04/2012

[quote]David James Elliott cannot play comedy.

DAVID JAMES ELLIOT?! Swoon, swoon, swoon!!!I've just found my reason for watching. Big, big crush material. Now that JAG reruns seem to have dried up, this will be a nice substitute.

The only comedy I've seen him do is Seinfeld when he played anti-choice guy who Elaine dated. Neither here nor there in that episode.

by Anonymousreply 3303/04/2012

Annie Potts is 60.

You GO, bitch. You look fabulous and whoever has done your work should get a Nobel Prize for masterful, natural work.

She practically looks younger than Kristi Dawn.

by Anonymousreply 3403/04/2012

HOT MEN! I'm watching.

by Anonymousreply 3503/04/2012

Even the preacher is cute. Damn!

by Anonymousreply 3603/04/2012

Hypocrites, the whole lot of them.

Loved it!!

by Anonymousreply 3703/04/2012

Leslie Bibb is 37, she's the same age or older than the other ladies.

by Anonymousreply 3803/05/2012

Kristen Chenoweth looks like beef jerky in a wig, but I love her anyway.

by Anonymousreply 3903/05/2012

It looks like the husbands and preacher man are way, way prettier than ANY of the actresses on the show.

by Anonymousreply 4003/05/2012

It was fun. No, it's not Shakespeare, but it doesn't need to be. And yes, the guys are uniformly hot.

Is there a surgical procedure whereby the huge vein in Kristin Chenoweth's forehead could be removed or at least hidden? It kind of grosses me out.

by Anonymousreply 4103/05/2012

It was MUCH better than I expected.

From the previews, I thought it was going to be a silly cartoon.

But it was very pointed in slamming conservative Christian hypocrisy.

by Anonymousreply 4203/05/2012

I can take care of that with a little Restalyn R41.

by Anonymousreply 4303/05/2012

Marisol Nichols looks the best out of all the young women.

by Anonymousreply 4403/05/2012

I love Kristin Chenoweth, but she does look like shit.

She looks mummified.

by Anonymousreply 4503/05/2012

It was fun but if it doesn't get a second season, I won't cry over it.

by Anonymousreply 4603/05/2012

I hope we get to see Mark Deklin and his cowboy bf in "compromising" positions VERY VERY SOON.

(I have to admit when he first came onscreen, I thought he was Casper Van Dien!)

DJ Elliott looks like he had a little work done around the eyes....

Thank goodness there's enough man candy and Annie Potts, 'cause the GCBs are HIDEOUS looking and acting, especially the Cheno-troll. And she's going to sing in every episode, isn't she? VOMIT.

by Anonymousreply 4703/05/2012

It was so much more fun than I was expecting. I pray they keep it campy and tone down Leslie Bibb's earnestness. She needs to start drinking again and everyone go for broke, like Kristi Dawn's OTT antics.

by Anonymousreply 4803/05/2012

This is a show for eldergays.

by Anonymousreply 4903/05/2012

[quote]This is a show for eldergays.

Says the over-tanned 46 year-old in an Abercrombie & Fitch tank top.

by Anonymousreply 5003/05/2012

[quote]Kristen Chenoweth looks like beef jerky in a wig, but I love her anyway.

Did they tan her up on purpose? She was on Letterman a few weeks ago and didn't look all dried up and brown like that.

by Anonymousreply 5103/05/2012

These days, in order to counter HDTV, they are troweling the greasepaint on with shovels.

And then, young women don't want to wear much color on their eyes, cheeks and especially lips. So everything is tan.

Annie fared better with the red lips and orange eyes. Though her wig was a fright at the nape.

by Anonymousreply 5203/05/2012

a bastard step child of Steel magnolias and Desperate Housewives-just awful and kristin looks like a transexual

by Anonymousreply 5303/05/2012

I was trying to think of a way to describe it, R53, and I think you nailed it.

by Anonymousreply 5403/05/2012

On various talk shows, Chenoweth looks fresh and young. She's supposed to look overly made-up and as if she's had a ton of plastic surgery, since the character has indeed had a ton of plastic surgery. Remember the early comment between Leslie Bibb and Annie Potts: "She's had some work done." "Work? That's more like a tear-down!" And we saw the character's high school photo in the yearbook, and she looked nothing whatever like Chenoweth.

by Anonymousreply 5503/05/2012

[quote]Did they tan her up on purpose? She was on Letterman a few weeks ago and didn't look all dried up and brown like that.

Uh yeah, as Reply55 says, she is playing an over the top character, it ain't a documentary. Annie Potts looks fabulous but I did worry about her coming down that amazing staircase, it's not for the faint of heart.

by Anonymousreply 5703/05/2012

[quote] Did they tan her up on purpose? She was on Letterman a few weeks ago and didn't look all dried up and brown like that.

The pilot was shot at least a year ago.

by Anonymousreply 5803/05/2012

Annie Potts has a really great ass! Sorry. Did she go to Jane Fonda's plastic surgeon or just have a bit of fillers and botox? She has never looked her actual age as near as I can recall. I hope she hangs in there alright because arthritis can be a Bitch, I mean, just ask Kathleen Turner.

This show was good. They incorporated actual Bible verses into the script in order to show the hypocrisy of the Christian Conservatives and I loved that.

The lady playing Annie Potts daughter is too young, tall, and skinny. Will the thing be that she is adopted?

by Anonymousreply 5903/05/2012

Annie Potts wears a fany pad.

My mother wore one in the 1970s when her cheeks fell. It did wonders for her figure and morale.

by Anonymousreply 6003/05/2012

In what universe is Kristin Chenoweth and Leslie Bibb eligible to play women who graduated from High School in the same year? Was Kristin kept back about ten years?

by Anonymousreply 6103/05/2012

They'll air this, yet the vastly superior "12 Miles of Bad Road" collects dust in the HBO vault.

by Anonymousreply 6203/05/2012

Annie has always had a nice ass. Don't know if it has fallen now and she actually is wearing a butt pad, but she used to have it naturally.

by Anonymousreply 6303/05/2012

This just in--Marc Cherry just smacked Leslie Bibb and the crew applauded him. She's a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 6403/05/2012

r61, they did say Kristin's character was ugly growing up and has had lots of work done. People who get tons of surgery look plastic, and that makes them look older.

by Anonymousreply 6503/05/2012

Why don't we hate Kristin? She appeared on 700 Club with Pat Robertson and sang for GWB at both inaugurals.

by Anonymousreply 6603/05/2012

[quote]they did say Kristin's character was ugly growing up and has had lots of work done. People who get tons of surgery look plastic, and that makes them look older.

Yes, when Annie Potts said she had a make -over the daughter said it was a tear down.

by Anonymousreply 6703/05/2012

ABC is a very gay-friendly network..

GCB Desperate Housewives Modern Family Suburgatory The Middle Happy Endings Pretty Little Liars

good for them!

by Anonymousreply 6903/05/2012

I thought there was too much resolved and revealed in the Pilot.

I hate when the treat the audience as if it has ADD (which is probably, in most cases, accurate) and nothing is left to build.

by Anonymousreply 7003/05/2012

ABC needs to move "The Middle" to Tuesdays after that douche Tim Allen's show and move "Cougartown" back to Wednesday.

by Anonymousreply 7203/05/2012

ABC is going to move Cougar Town. To the cancellation pile.

by Anonymousreply 7303/05/2012

It's not that far from the truth. Take it from someone who lived there eight years.

by Anonymousreply 7403/05/2012

I love Kristin but...my god!...she looks grotesque. I cannot imagine that is anyone's intention, no matter the character's story line.

Who is this unfunny Leslie Bibb? This is the best they could come up with for their lead character? Should I know her from something else? I also didn't think the fat lady and the realtor lady (who looks like Jersey Shore material) were particularly funny and if I didn't know Miriam Shor from other better appearances, I'd say WTF?

They clearly put a lot more effort into casting the yummy men.

by Anonymousreply 7503/05/2012

The men are definitely the only draw for this show.

by Anonymousreply 7603/05/2012

I thought the point was to make the GCBs look somewhat grotesque...botoxed, spray-tanned, big hair etc.

by Anonymousreply 7703/05/2012

Any negative reaction from the Christian Taliban?

by Anonymousreply 7803/05/2012

I don't think they're implants, R56. They're injections.

by Anonymousreply 7903/05/2012

[quote] The men are definitely the only draw for this show.

The tall older guy.

by Anonymousreply 8003/05/2012

The actor David James Elliot from JAG R80?

by Anonymousreply 8103/05/2012

Great show and surprisingly fun. I was pleasantly surprised by the "World According To Garp" fellatio/fatal crash/castration homage. It's a Darren Star production so I expected a lot of camp...and they delivered. I loved Mark Deklin's closeted cowboy with the strong silent cowboy. I wonder who tops?

Annie looks great, Kristen stole the show and the herpes joke and Neiman Marcus scenes were funnier than expected. I hope it's on for a long time.

P.S. doesn't Miriam Shor look a little like Linda Blair?

by Anonymousreply 8203/05/2012

OMM were attempting to get ABC to pull the show. Other than that I didn't see anything.

by Anonymousreply 8303/05/2012

The show was okay. I wasn't great

by Anonymousreply 8403/05/2012

R84 aka Kristen Chenoweth, the show wasn't bad at all AND while you weren't great, you did do okay.

by Anonymousreply 8603/05/2012

R86 is cute but damaged

by Anonymousreply 8703/05/2012

Somebody can't count and theie posts reference nothing

by Anonymousreply 8803/05/2012

Loved Annie Potts since "Pretty in Pink" what a fun role. Glad to see she's back, I do find Kristen obnoxious, she does have talent, I just don't like her and she's the one featured all over town in the poster ads for this, which there are a ton of.

by Anonymousreply 8903/05/2012

People actually enjoyed that shit? Just watched it and what a crapfest. You fuckers who liked this have no taste.

by Anonymousreply 9003/05/2012

Ratings for GCB's premiere were lower than PAN AM's premiere-and will probably sink even further than PAN AM's.

This should have been on TNT or USA.

by Anonymousreply 9203/05/2012

[quote]The Beverly Hillbillies 50 years ago was funnier and clever than GCB. How sad for America.

Oh, dear. The word is cleverer. How sad for America, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 9303/05/2012

[quote]Annie Potts is 60. She practically looks younger than Kristi Dawn.

Not practically - she DOES look younger than Kristi Dawn.

What the hell happened to Chenowith? For a non-smoker, she has aged horribly. She played really young through her early 30s, and then she has aged at a rate of 2 years for every 1 since about 35. She's only 430-44 but looks so much older.

by Anonymousreply 9403/06/2012

She looks pretty good for a 430-year-old. Sorry, r94; I couldn't resist.

by Anonymousreply 9503/06/2012

She has a very high forehead which does not help R94. Women's hairlines can recede in their 30's-40's and beyond, making them appear older, but her forehead is freakishly high.

by Anonymousreply 9603/06/2012

Chenowith has fallen prey to the Hollyweird anorexia cult. She is just way too skinny and her face with those drapes of skin falling off her cheeks shows it. She needs ten pounds to fill out.

by Anonymousreply 9803/06/2012

I know it's based on a book but it actually seems like ABC executives sat around and said "let's just do a fictionalized version of the Real Housewives..."

by Anonymousreply 9903/06/2012

IMDB has her born in July, 1968. 44 this year. I believe that - she's just one of those people who is aging really, really badly.

by Anonymousreply 10003/06/2012

I thought it was surprisingly well-written, although with a few too many inside jokes that you'd only get if you lived in Dallas or knew it well (e.g. the one about living under the I-20 since "no one we know uses it", or finding Amanda "a nice place in Waxahachie," a town that's about 80 miles away, or "in Fort Worth," which Dallas socialites have always looked upon with disdain). Kristin Chenoweth looks like complete shit; I know her character is supposed to have had a ton of plastic surgery, but it looks like Kristin *did* have a lot of work done, or at least massive amounts of Botox and lip fillers. I liked that the pilot was filmed in Dallas (except for the blowjob scene on the PCH), although in reality those houses they live in are in the "ghetto" area of Dallas - east of downtown and adjacent to Dallas's highest crime areas (though I think they're supposed to be set in a version of much-tonier Highland Park, which unlike the Swiss Avenue-area locale of the actual show houses has its own school district, arguably the best in Texas).

It had some weak points, and the characters were a little *too* over-the-top in some cases (particularly Kristin's), but I'll keep watching.

by Anonymousreply 10103/06/2012

Nobody outside of California would say "the I-20."

by Anonymousreply 10203/06/2012

Good point, R102.

by Anonymousreply 10303/06/2012

Is this really considered the bad part of town?

by Anonymousreply 10403/06/2012

Yes, R104, comparatively speaking at least. Houses on Swiss Avenue top out at less than $1 million when on the market - and that's for the highest-end ones, at least 5,000 sq ft in turn-of-the-century mansions similar to the one Annie Potts had on GCB. I know one that's for sale for that much, and that's *after* it had $300,000 in gut-renovation work. In Highland Park such a house would literally cost 4x as much.

by Anonymousreply 10503/06/2012

The woman who plays Amanda looks a bit like that redhead on Pan Am.

by Anonymousreply 10603/06/2012

Enjoyed the pilot much more than I expected to. I grew up in the South, so I know plenty of people like these characters.

Looking forward to the next episode.

Very nice to see Greg Vaughan as the ponzy scheme husband. Hope they bring him back for some flashbacks.

by Anonymousreply 10703/08/2012

The “GCB” backlash is spreading.

Kraft has bowed to criticism and is yanking its Philadelphia Cream Cheese ads from airing during the controversial ABC dramedy based on the book, “Good Christian Bitches.”

“Philadelphia has decided to pull its advertising from ‘GCB,’ ” a Kraft rep told gossip site TMZ.com. “We have received a few complaints from consumers and their opinions about our advertising are important to us.”

NYC Councilman Peter Vallone joined the anti-“GCB” fray earlier this week, urging people to boycott the show. "The title of the show alone is yet another outrageous attack on the Christian faith,” Vallone told TMZ.

by Anonymousreply 10803/08/2012

More reason to watch!

by Anonymousreply 10903/08/2012

I LOVED IT!!!

by Anonymousreply 11003/08/2012

I LOVED it. It's fun, funny at times and just good entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 11103/08/2012

People are just so fucking defensive about everything nowadays. It's fiction.

by Anonymousreply 11203/08/2012

More married closet cases in Dallas. Sometime I wish art would get just a little bit ahead of life. Also they make Annie Potts way too sympathetic. If her daughter was that bad, it was because Annie pushed her.

by Anonymousreply 11303/08/2012

Well Newt "Deathbed Divorce" Gingrich has weighed in...

by Anonymousreply 11403/09/2012

They got the casting totally wrong. In the Park Cities you find incredibly stunning women married to the geekiest fat schlubs because of their money and social connections. The husbands on this show are way too hot.

by Anonymousreply 11503/14/2012

r115, fat schlub husbands would not appeal to the women or the gays.

by Anonymousreply 11603/15/2012

I can't believe more of you bitches aren't watching this.

by Anonymousreply 11703/18/2012

Is that the one with Leslie Bibb? She's very underrated. Got her big break on Oprah a while back actually. Been in The Skulls and Law Abiding Citizen, among others.

She is very pretty and nuanced.

by Anonymousreply 11803/18/2012

Very pretty and nuanced she may be but she is a complete and utter bitch on the set which has held her back.

by Anonymousreply 11903/18/2012

I hate this show, but damn, David James Elliot shirtless! Looks fantastic. Plus the minister is a corn fed hunk.

But I hate this show.

by Anonymousreply 12003/18/2012

The minister plays the hot cop on Shameless, too.

by Anonymousreply 12103/18/2012

I just realized the fat bitch's husband is the guy from Jericho with the deaf sister, who owned the farm and fucked the IRS agent.

by Anonymousreply 12203/18/2012

I knew I recognized him from somewhere! He looks less doughy than when he was on "Jericho." The writers of that show missed a good opportunity to have a gay character in him. Imagine if the IRS agent had been a guy.

by Anonymousreply 12303/18/2012

David James Elliott's pecs and biceps are yummy.

by Anonymousreply 12403/18/2012

Omg, I'm actually feeling for Cricket and her hubby, the car salesman and his wife too.

Can't seem to care for that tiny hypocrite or her husband.

Much funnier episode this week.

by Anonymousreply 12503/19/2012

So tired of Amanda being such a drip, though. JFC, put on the Valentino and go to the fucking opera with the two hot guys. And stop working with the trailer trash like a bimbo. Your mother has more money than god.

by Anonymousreply 12603/19/2012

Totally agree, R126.

Once in a while she can have fun.

But also see where she wants to maintain some sort of independence.

Annie looks fantastic in everything that she wears.

The blond over-eater is actually not that big. The clothes in the first episodes made her look big but now her clothes fit better and she is not heavy at all.

by Anonymousreply 12703/19/2012

"Thank you, Texas Chili Council. Thank you."

I love Sharon.

by Anonymousreply 12803/19/2012

I think Miriam Shor is this show's MVP. Her work as Cricket is layered and very funny, and her chemistry with her gay husband is very touching.

by Anonymousreply 12903/19/2012

Are we starting to come around??

by Anonymousreply 13003/19/2012

Will they give Annie Potts more to do?

by Anonymousreply 13103/19/2012

Why exactly isn't the husband bisexual? They were obviously having sex at one point.

by Anonymousreply 13203/19/2012

I couldn't get into any of the characters. The acting seemed terrible.

by Anonymousreply 13303/19/2012

Maybe Blake was in denial. Or maybe they never had sex; they could have gone the turkey baster route. It seems that she knew about him (or at least suspected) before they married. There's still lots of material that could flow from this plot.

by Anonymousreply 13403/19/2012

[r132] [r134] What is it that you don't get? It's an arrangement. They are best friends who made a baby and allow themselves freedom that they wouldn't ordinarily have in conventional marriages.

by Anonymousreply 13503/19/2012

"Or maybe they never had sex; they could have gone the turkey baster route."

It never ceases to amaze me how commonplace (and effective) posters here seem to believe turkey baster baby-making is.

by Anonymousreply 13603/19/2012

R135, I get it; I know it's an arrangement. My point is that they may provide some more background later on. The way I took it is that Cricket has always known, but there's still a possibility he tried to hide it. And they thus could have had sex at some point. Who knows? I don't think this is the case though.

R136, I was joking about the turkey baster! Maybe I should have indicated it with an emoticon. ;-D Maybe they'll address conception of two kids at some point.

by Anonymousreply 13703/19/2012

Didn't he make reference to the fact that when they married, he was young and unsure? She obviously thought he loved her because of his unconditional acceptance, so they of course had sex when they were young marrieds.

by Anonymousreply 13803/19/2012

I love this show...brilliant comic parody.

by Anonymousreply 13903/19/2012

It could definitely be fun for a season or 2. Hopefully it's not canceled.

by Anonymousreply 14003/19/2012

Is David James Elliott gay? You don't see straight men in their 50s with bodies like that.

by Anonymousreply 14103/19/2012

The hunks of GCB:

by Anonymousreply 14203/19/2012

Not necessarily, R141. What about Dennis Quaid and Richard Burgi? Both are undeniably hot - but straight - daddies in their fifties.

by Anonymousreply 14303/19/2012

The show is pretty bad.

Leslie Bibb is completely bland, and no way can she carry a show like this. She is beyond dull.

Worse than this is that HER STORYLINE MAKES NO SENSE! Supposedly she was the high school queen bitch. She got pregnant very young and ran off with one of the school studs. They move to California where he goes on to become a huge success running a hedge fund / ponzi scheme. She leads the life of a billionairesse in an oceanfront mansion. She picks up a drinking habit.

For some reason she doesn't talk to her mother for eight year. This makes zero sense given what we know about what her mother wants: for her daughter to be married to a rich guy and pump out babies, which is exactly what she did.

Then her world crumbles beneath her and she loses her husband and money in some huge scandal. She comes back to Dallas, and the mysterious eight year split with her mother is repaired over lunch. All the old high school girls want revenge.

Somehow, someway we are supposed to belive that Amanda got redemption and became this down-to-earth, kind, loving person. How did this happen? And where? In the Malibu mansion? Ridiculous. On top of that, anyone leaving Dallas for California feels SUPERIOR to the ones who never left. And the waitressing thing, putting the kids in second-hand clothes, and turning down luxury gifts are all silly and stupid.

This would have made a lot more sense AND been a lot more fun if Amanda came back bitchier and meaner than ever.

by Anonymousreply 14403/21/2012

[quote]I knew I recognized him from somewhere! He looks less doughy than when he was on "Jericho." The writers of that show missed a good opportunity to have a gay character in him. Imagine if the IRS agent had been a guy.

I think his character on this show is struggling with some gay issues of his own, wanting to workout and diet so he can have abs like the gay husband of Cricket. Inn epsidoe 3 he alludes to the fact that he is struggling with some sort opf mid life crisis that has nothing to do wioth making out with Amanda.

by Anonymousreply 14503/21/2012

R144 there are a few folks, even rich ones who disdain the values of the parents and do become different people.

Not the most realistic plot line yes...but possible.

by Anonymousreply 14603/21/2012

I think the show would work better as a half hour sitcom than as an hour long dramedy. I don't think the writers have the depth to do drama. The attempts so far have fallen short.

The fight between Miriam Shor (great performance) and her husband didn't ring true for the characters. This was the first time EVER he realized that their arrangement could possibly hurt her? It makes him pretty much a prick. And the women are so cartoonishly evil that it's hard to feel sympathy for them in the moments when they should deserve it. Shor can't fuck her trainer anymore so she destroys his future. After seeing that, I'm glad her hot husband doesn't fuck her.

I can't believe I'm saying this but DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES (in its 1st season, the only one I watched) did a much better job of balancing the absurd and the real.

And Kristin Chenoweth's cheek implants scare me. She looks like an alien in a blond wig.

by Anonymousreply 14703/21/2012

[quote]They were obviously having sex at one point.

Not necessarily. In vitro fertilization was alive and well in the 1990's, when their kids were born. they weren't even calling them "test tube babies" anymore. It's been very clearly stated that Cricket "signed on"to their current deal. there were no doubts.

The guy was gay fro the get-go. Had he been bisexual, she would have had a right to a monogamous relationship. But that's not what she "signed on" for. Besides, the writers (not who this show will be known for) are going through extreme lenghts to present him as stereotipically gay (kanck for taste, design, fashion, and flair).

Speaking of bad writing, I had trouble buying Cricket's sudden orders to buy and destroy her trainer's company. No successful businesswoman would ever do something so foolish. I also had trouble, like a previous poster, with her snide dispute with her husband regarding what the consequences would be if her sleeping around got exposed. It didn't seem to fit the flow of their characterizations.

And speaking of bad characters - yes, Amanda's is too young and all over the place, as is her dead husband who looked like he was all of 27 at the time of his death.

by Anonymousreply 14803/21/2012

I agree it is possible, r146, but in the bio they gave us of her she was not out in California saving orphans. She was social climbing from an already high perch. It would have made far more logical sense for her to come back bitchier than ever (and a better show, too). The redemption has dropped from the sky, and is wholly inconsistent with what we know about her.

I've said my peace. I was kind of embarrassed when I saw how long my post was about a silly character in a silly show. Overall I think my comments mostly reflect disappointment in what could have been a very fun series.

by Anonymousreply 14903/21/2012

OMG - so no one watched Donna Mills??? Abby is alive and well and living in Texas!

by Anonymousreply 15003/25/2012

I thought tonight's episode was the weakest so far despite our dear Miss Donna Mills making an appearance. Honestly I was ready to check out on this until I saw Kevin Alejandro AND Eric Winter in next week's preview.

by Anonymousreply 15103/25/2012

Abby Ewing! I miss Knot's Landing so much

by Anonymousreply 15203/25/2012

Frankly, Donna's star shined brightest when she was Jane Mancini's failed-actress-in-a-small-apartment bio-mom.

by Anonymousreply 15303/25/2012

The appeal this show has, at least for me, is the male eye candy. I like David James Elliot and the pastor but I think Mark Deklin is just beautiful. That guy should be playing super heroes.

The rest is pretty much crap, although I do have a soft spot for Leslie Bibb because of "Popular" and think Annie Potts seems to be rising above the material.

by Anonymousreply 15403/26/2012

Loved it. They have wisely started minimizing Ms. Bibb and Ms. Chenowith, and making it more ensemble, with tons of eye candy (Grant Bowler is coming!!!). Annie Potts and Donna Mills this week were heaven.

by Anonymousreply 15503/26/2012

This show has so much potential to get better. How is it doing in the ratings so far?

by Anonymousreply 15603/26/2012

Even though I know it's a tongue-in-cheek poke at southern Christaholics, all the Jesus talk and saying 'Christian' every 3 minutes kind of turns me off. Somehow, it reminds me of just how many hypocrite Bible thumpers who vote Republican exist out there, which depresses me. I think if I lived in that environment, I'd have slit my wrists ages ago.

by Anonymousreply 15703/26/2012

Cheno's over-the-top attempts at slapstick (see her reaction to catching her son masterbating) were embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 15803/26/2012

r156, it premiered so-so, then actually went up in its second week, but drooped to a low last week. Not the best trend.

by Anonymousreply 15903/26/2012

Was it me, or did the gay husband call Amanda as "Carlene" in the very beginning when he told her to get back to the table..?

by Anonymousreply 16003/26/2012

Is DJE really in his 50s?

by Anonymousreply 16103/26/2012

Did none of you bitches catch the writers having a dig at Cheno's botched surgery by making her say the line "I'm always looking for ways to appear more lifelike" LOL

by Anonymousreply 16203/26/2012

Love Miriam Shor and she looked like a fox dressed up as Faye Dunaway/Bonnie.

by Anonymousreply 16303/26/2012

Ratings were up 10% over last week, so it has a pulse. It's holding most of Housewives' audience in a difficult time slot, which is enough to consider it on the bubble.

by Anonymousreply 16403/26/2012

It's a fun show. Nothing earth-shattering but campy fun nonetheless.

by Anonymousreply 16503/26/2012

love the pastor! Any dirt about him?

by Anonymousreply 16703/26/2012

Bibb looked great in those slacks.

Everybody looked fantastic at that party.

Yes, by all means go buy property in Juarez, LOL.

Those mariachis were ancient looking, great music, though.

Poor Babs.

by Anonymousreply 16803/26/2012

Cancelled. How sad.

by Anonymousreply 16903/26/2012

r169

link? source?

by Anonymousreply 17003/26/2012

Not cancelled. R169 is trolling.

by Anonymousreply 17103/26/2012

Ratings are up!

Good to hear.

by Anonymousreply 17203/26/2012

It's silly, stupid fun and we love it.

It's great to see Annie Potts again too.

Loved it when Bruce Boxleitner's wife was choking on the rib in the background.

by Anonymousreply 17303/26/2012

R173, I kind of love that you know Bruce Boxleitner's name but not Donna Mills'.

by Anonymousreply 17403/26/2012

Have they cast Cricket's daddy?

He totally sounds like a JR type.

by Anonymousreply 17503/26/2012

I used to have a great butt.

I did, I loved my butt!

by Anonymousreply 17603/26/2012

[quote]I kind of love that you know Bruce Boxleitner's name but not Donna Mills'.

Only because he looked familiar and we couldn't place him so I looked it up on imdb.com. I never watched "Falcon Crest", though I'm aware of who she is. No, I didn't recognize her.

by Anonymousreply 17703/26/2012

"when he kissed me, my thighs just went up in flames"

by Anonymousreply 17803/26/2012

ABC will hang onto this show for awhile before it pulls the plug.

by Anonymousreply 17903/26/2012

CBS and NBC have already announced which shows will be back next season; ABC has not.

This show isn't cheap to produce, and ABC may not be willing to spend the money if the numbers continue at their current level - after last night's record-setting MAD MEN return, GCB on ABC was in fourth place for the night behind CSI: Miami, Celebrity Apprentice and Mad Men.

by Anonymousreply 18003/27/2012

It was also first in its timeslot, the very difficult 10pm, and held almost all of its Housewives lead-in audience. Who is doing better than a 2.2 at 10pm Sunday? The flashy escapism will probably make it an easy sell overseas. It has enough of a pulse to see what it can do at 9pm next season. It'll probably be a decision made as close to the upfronts as possible and will depend heavily on how favorably GCB compares with this season's development.

by Anonymousreply 18103/27/2012

If this show lasts I'd love for them to cast Delta Burke as Miriam Shor's mom and Jean Smart as Jennifer Aspen's in guest roles.

by Anonymousreply 18203/27/2012

I love the show for its male eye candy, campy characters, gay closet case subplot, and comedy.

by Anonymousreply 18303/27/2012

Cricket and her gay hubby are my favorite characters, the only time she seems like a decent, warm, thoughtful human being is when she's alone with him.

by Anonymousreply 18403/29/2012

Cricket and husband are my fav too, R184.

I never realized The dead billionaire/crook husband was Greg Vaughn (Lucky from GH)

I wonder if he will have any more screen time in flashbacks.

by Anonymousreply 18503/29/2012

[quote]CBS and NBC have already announced which shows will be back next season.

Link?

Thank you.

Loved last week's eppy with Annie Potts just going to town with her character. And, Donna Mills being added on as guest star stunt casting was great, she even did a bit of physical comedy.

by Anonymousreply 18603/29/2012

i didnt expect to like it but found myself looking forward to each eppy so far

by Anonymousreply 18703/29/2012

EW has a list.

Break-down on each network.

by Anonymousreply 18803/29/2012

Too bad Eric Winter isn't playing gay again.

by Anonymousreply 18903/29/2012

[quote]Cricket and husband are my fav too, [R184].

I love their heart to heart discussions in their bedroom, it's a sweet relationship because there IS love there, but not THAT kind of love. It's a deep friendship thing - that's why Annie Potts character could relate when Amanda told her about Cricket - she feels the same about Bruce Boxleitner.

by Anonymousreply 19003/30/2012

Latest renewals/cancellations per EW. N.B . that GCB is on the bubble for cancellation:

by Anonymousreply 19103/30/2012

Feh, it looks as though [italic]Alcatraz [/italic]won't be renewed. That and [italic]Grimm [/italic]are my favorite new shows.

by Anonymousreply 19203/30/2012

I don't know why ABC hasn't renewed Revenge yet. They better.

Why don't they just cancel Pan Am and be done with it? I kind of liked this show, but I'm not going to be desperately waiting on it to come back.

I can't believe How I Met Your Mother is SO popular.

by Anonymousreply 19303/30/2012

Neither can I r193. But it doesn't surprise me that Modern Family and Big Bang Theory ae now the highest rated comedies (1 confessional narrative, 1 old school laugh tack/studio audience!)

by Anonymousreply 19403/30/2012

ABC will air GCB in Desperate Housewives's 9 PM timeslot on Sunday April 8. They will air two back to back episodes.

by Anonymousreply 19503/30/2012

[r191] that's just EW speculating

by Anonymousreply 19603/30/2012

I hope that list is wrong, Revenge and GCB are my favorite shows at the moment.

by Anonymousreply 19703/30/2012

They killed Donna Mills off already? I missed bits and pieces last week... Damn, she could have been one of the best things about this stupid show.

by Anonymousreply 19804/01/2012

Did anyone pick up on the (subtle) Showgirls reference in tonight's episode?

by Anonymousreply 19904/02/2012

Anyone know anything about Brad Beyer? He plays the chubby wife's husband. I don't usually go for redheads but for some reason I'm finding him incredibly sexy. He played Christian Campbell's straight roommate in "Trick" back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 20004/02/2012

Loved the line about Blake being "tied up" at the ranch.

by Anonymousreply 20104/02/2012

So many hot guys on the show. Bummer about us gay viewers not being able to get a peek at what's going on at Blake's ranch.

by Anonymousreply 20204/02/2012

Yeah, I definitely missed the gay hubby this week. He's gawgeous!

by Anonymousreply 20304/02/2012

Cricket over-singing Amazing Grace at the funeral cracked me up. Carlene's brother Luke is hot.

by Anonymousreply 20404/03/2012

Who was the computer billionare supposed to be at the famous texans costume party last week?

by Anonymousreply 20504/03/2012

This show is so awful. Why isn't it canceled yet?

by Anonymousreply 20604/03/2012

Uhhh, R143, Richard Burgi is NOT straight.

GCB will be cancelled. REVENGE will probably be moved into its time slot. Either AMERICANA or 666 PARK AVENUE will take DH's slot.

by Anonymousreply 20704/04/2012

GCB is airing back to back episodes this Sunday, at 9 and 10pm. Lots of promotion. If the ratings have an uptick, you'll see it come back. If they dip, bye-bye.

by Anonymousreply 20804/04/2012

Where the hell is the annual viewing of the Ten Commandments?????

by Anonymousreply 20904/04/2012

On Saturday, R209, at 7pm.

by Anonymousreply 21004/04/2012

Really, R210?

Great, thanks!

by Anonymousreply 21104/04/2012

He was supposed to be Howard Hughes, r205.

by Anonymousreply 21204/04/2012

Thanks r212, that was driving me crazy

by Anonymousreply 21304/04/2012

Yes, really R211. It's good to know that some things just never change.

by Anonymousreply 21404/04/2012

At first I thought, "Wow... will people want to watch 2 straight hours of GCB?" until I realized that I had never seen the show and then, at the urging of several friends, checked it out on Hulu. I watched FOUR eps in a row in one sitting!!!!!! Commercials are the real enemy. Does anyone really watch anything on network TV live anymore? I never do. I either DVR it and watch later or DVR it and wait a while before starting it so that I can end up ff-ing through all the ads.

by Anonymousreply 21504/05/2012

GCB = GTF (Good Trashy Fun)

by Anonymousreply 21604/05/2012

I hope it is not cancelled. Great tv.

by Anonymousreply 21704/05/2012

Bozeman is a piece of hot sex on a stick isn't he? i think Blake need to get him a job at the ranch pronto.

by Anonymousreply 21804/05/2012

"There are no fat people in the bible"

by Anonymousreply 21904/08/2012

If ABC is burning off 2 eps in a row on Easter Sunday, you know this show is headed for cancellation faster than you can say "Jesus H. Christ".

by Anonymousreply 22004/09/2012

As campy and fun as it is, the more I see of Blake the less I like him. Basically, the guy's a greedy, closeted asshole. And a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 22104/09/2012

Who knew Brad Beyer was a hairy beast?

by Anonymousreply 22204/09/2012

We could barely sit through two hours of this. I really want to love this show, but it just drags whenever Christy Dawn or Amanda's storylines are on. Make this about Annie Potts or Carlene and Blake and you'd have a better show.

Burning through two episodes, even if it was a counter-programming choice against Celebrity Apprentice, is not a good sign. I am sure it lost viewers throughout the two hours.

by Anonymousreply 22304/09/2012

I could see why they wanted to throw away the first episode. It was very odd as it totally killed momentum. The second episode was much better.

by Anonymousreply 22404/09/2012

I'm finding it pretty hard to sit through this show, already. My favorite character is actually Cricket, but even she's not enough to save it for me. Too much Jesus talk and Bible quoting, even if it's satire.

by Anonymousreply 22504/09/2012

I know it is just a silly TV show, but I was a little weirded out by how blithely Cricket had unprotected sex with her exclusively gay husband, who, if the dialogue was to be believed, had sex with her once on a drunken weekend 17 years ago.It just seemed really irresponsible in this day and age.

by Anonymousreply 22604/09/2012

The reason they had sex at all was to try and have another baby, using a condom kinda defeats that purpose. I'm not being bitchy to you r226, just saying that's why they did it.

by Anonymousreply 22704/09/2012

I enjoyed it at first but watching the back to back episodes it's obvious that it's just... too much.

It should have been done as a half-hour single camera comedy.

by Anonymousreply 22804/09/2012

I notice the writing on this show is very uneven. One week its clever and draws you in, the next episode I can barely sit through. Rinse, repeat. It really needs to make up its mind whether it wants to be a dramedy or flat out camp/comedy. When is Kevin Alejandro going to show up? He was in the previews from two weeks ago.

by Anonymousreply 22904/09/2012

Overnights are promising.

by Anonymousreply 23004/09/2012

I was thrilled to see a guy on TV with a hairy chest. They tried to obsure it somewhat (because someone of normal weight is considered obese today), but it still read enough to know that some actors haven't drunk the Kool-Aid when it comes to that stuff.

by Anonymousreply 23104/09/2012

Today's sophisticated and dynamic woman decides and accepts what her life is going to be. It is not fair for someone to walk in there and rip it to hell just because he has a penis.

by Anonymousreply 23204/09/2012

R232 WHAT are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 23304/09/2012

Cricket says that to the girls, R233.

I kind of hated Cricket and Blake in that first episode, especially at their reaction of that potential surrogate. I would have thought Blake would be a Dem, but I guess not.

Agree with you, R221.

by Anonymousreply 23404/09/2012

I get the feeling the Latina character (Heather?) is going to get removed soon. She seems to have very little to do with the other characters as the show progresses.

by Anonymousreply 23504/09/2012

I would have expected more of a reaction to a woman asking her husband on primetime TV if he's a top or a bottom.

by Anonymousreply 23604/09/2012

It probably went over most people's heads, R236.

He said he was versatile, right?

by Anonymousreply 23704/09/2012

Yep, Blake implied he's versatile.

by Anonymousreply 23804/09/2012

Versatile means bottom.

by Anonymousreply 23904/09/2012

Does anyone else think the minister is going to hook up with the gay husband.

Minister man says sex is good and totally pings.

by Anonymousreply 24004/09/2012

R227, the fact that they were doing it to have a baby was the reason I clued into the fact that it was unprotected. It just seems irresponsible that it wasn't an issue of any kind.

by Anonymousreply 24104/09/2012

R241 if he has no disease he can give her no disease. There is no issue with disease free folks having sex.

by Anonymousreply 24204/09/2012

I'm happy for you who find the show enjoyable, but I can't watch this program to save my soul. I grew up in Texas and this sitcom only makes fun of these people. I'm sure the humor is there somewhere, but I rarely see it. The brush strokes are too broad.

by Anonymousreply 24304/09/2012

I think talking about your sexually active gay husband's STD status is a bit of a downer for primetime TV. We can probably assume they squared that away off-camera.

by Anonymousreply 24404/09/2012

The Cricket-Blake relationship is ridiculous. It's like something out of the 1970s. It's not cute; it's pathetic. The show is quickly running out of steam. There's only so many obvious Christian jokes you can make, and they've pretty much mined them all.

by Anonymousreply 24504/09/2012

R245 The only limit is your imagination. There are millions more obvious christian jokes that can be made.

by Anonymousreply 24604/09/2012

R245 - it is pathetic. It might be something out of the 70's in most places, but this is Texas.

by Anonymousreply 24704/09/2012

The rumor is ABC wants to take Sundays in a different direction next season which doesn't bode well for this show. It would definately need some creative tweaking if it were picked up though.

by Anonymousreply 24804/09/2012

There were several anal sex references in the episodes and only one had to do with gay sex.

[quote]it is pathetic. It might be something out of the 70's in most places, but this is Texas.

As opposed to California (Michael Huffington) or any of the 200 Hollywood actors/actresses mentioned here daily who are married and closeted?

Are you really saying that only Texas or only fly-over states have marriages of convenience? PUL-EEEZE.

by Anonymousreply 24904/09/2012

It's not that Blake's closeted; it's that he seems to think, that as a gay man in 2012, having a child with your BBF wife and thereby committing yourself to her for another 18 years is, somehow, a good idea. Cricket needs a good smack across the face to wake her up to the user she's married to. He's a lousy shit and she doesn't need to put up with that crap.

by Anonymousreply 25004/10/2012

[quote]Does anyone else think the minister is going to hook up with the gay husband.

Yes, and partially because during his sex sermon, he said "God made sex for two PEOPLE who love each other" or words to that effect.

[quote]There were several anal sex references in the episodes and only one had to do with gay sex.

Cricket: Blake wants to upend my agenda. Carlene: Ripp likes to do that too, sometimes. Takes some getting used to.

by Anonymousreply 25104/10/2012

Blake isn't intended to be a gay role model. He's a character on a TV show and as such is subject to flaws or bad decisions that viewers can learn from. As this is a continuing story, there may be an eventual arc to it. Gays get so (snap) judgemental right out of the gate. It's one of our least appealing traits.

by Anonymousreply 25204/10/2012

[quote]He's a character on a TV show and as such is subject to flaws or bad decisions that viewers can learn from.

You're giving this show way more purpose than it seeks or deserves

by Anonymousreply 25304/10/2012

It's supposed to be entertainment. Not some after school special. Like any other comedy based show it pokes fun at topics, themes, believes, stereotypes, etc.

People who are offended by it or certain aspects show that they can't laugh at themselves or a topic, theme, etc. they have an emotional investment in.

by Anonymousreply 25404/10/2012

Given the way his character keeps taking about Blake (his body, his diet, his fitness routine), and how he worries about his own physique and attractiveness, I'm pretty sure we're gonna see Brad Beyer hooking up with Blake very very soon....

by Anonymousreply 25504/10/2012

I agree, R255, since Brad Beyer's character seemed practically disgusted when he had to have sex with his nutty wife Sharon again and was more interested in starting that new cooking business, which is pretty gay in itself.

He's a very decent character and the opportunistic Blake will (literally) tear him a new one if they do hookup. I hope the writers have the stones to make Cricket fuck Breyer's son while Blake balls Daddy.

by Anonymousreply 25604/10/2012

Zack is definitely not going to turn out gay.

by Anonymousreply 25704/10/2012

R253, I would say that all the pearl-clutchers who are in a tizzy over Blake are the ones who are giving the show more purpose than it deserves.

by Anonymousreply 25804/11/2012

You all are, r252,

by Anonymousreply 25904/11/2012

I want to like the show more than I do. Leslie Bibb is way too bland as the lead and she or the producers seem to think imitating Teri Hatcher will endear the character to viewers. There doesn't appear to be much characterization to the Mean Girls/Wives other than hypocritical Christian values. The one with the gay husband is the most interesting but not enough to float the entire show. I don't even know any of the character's names after half a dozen episodes.

I will say the male cast is incredibly hot but I can watch porn for hot guys.

by Anonymousreply 26004/11/2012

The guy who plays the priest (or whatever) has the most beautiful face and lips I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 26104/11/2012

The guy who plays the priest also plays Tony, the cop, on Shameless. He's pretty hot in a police uniform. Just not enough of a bad boy for Fiona.

by Anonymousreply 26204/11/2012

[quote]The one with the gay husband is the most interesting but not enough to float the entire show

Unfortunately, she's being written and portrayed very one-dimensionally: the uber-successful, over-compensating career shark that prioritizes and colors all her decisions from an exaggerated business perspective. I mean, not even male CEO's behave like her in real life. And I knowe it's a vcampy soap, but there has to be a thread of logic in their characterizations for us to root for these people.

My point, no one in real life would buy a company just to punish their gym trainer, or sabotage their own business decisions just to make a high school rival look bad. So much for business acumen. How is she successful?!

by Anonymousreply 26304/11/2012

Chenoweth has Meniere's disease, R45. Vomiting and sweating are common secondary side issues with Meniere's; Chenoweth may well be chronically dehydrated.

by Anonymousreply 26404/14/2012

[quote]My point, no one in real life would buy a company just to punish their gym trainer, or sabotage their own business decisions just to make a high school rival look bad.

Sweetie, nothing in this show is based real life. Just sit back and enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 26504/14/2012

Am I the only person who was wasn't impressed by tonight's episode?

by Anonymousreply 26604/16/2012

R266 honey, anytime Cheno sings on the show, it sucks. And tonight's episode was a friggin' MUSICALE.

We've all switched over to MAD MEN at 10 pm on Sundays now anyway...

by Anonymousreply 26704/16/2012

Tonight's episode was odd in that it started out GREAT with the Chenoweth/Shor dwelling divas musical number and then went downhill. I find it hard to believe that "loyal and forgiving" Heather would shank Amanda like that just to save her own behind. The Sharon/Gigi "QVC" segment was also wrapped up too nicely (although the host was HOT).

Once again Potts and Shor dominated the show with their very good performances, but Deklin, Elliot, Chenoweth and the kid playing Sharon's son had the bored, disinterested teenaged son routine down pat. Hope next week's one is better.

by Anonymousreply 26804/16/2012

It will be two weeks before another episode. The only positive thing I can say about today's episode is that it solidified the fact that the only good thing about the series is Annie Potts and Miriam Shor.

Speaking of Shor her delivery of comedy is strikingly reminiscent of Carol Burnett.

by Anonymousreply 26904/16/2012

Miriam Shor is creating a human being out of a pile of cliches and absolutely deserves Emmy consideration.

by Anonymousreply 27004/16/2012

That show was a hot mess!!

That Lazarus number was great, he is really, really hot.

I liked when Amanda brought forth her high school bitch.

She should be that way all the time.

by Anonymousreply 27104/16/2012

I personally felt that the High School Amanda act was one of the weak points of the episode. Bibb seems awkward and out of place in the role of Amanda.

by Anonymousreply 27204/16/2012

OMG r270, I don't think anyone in the show comes even close to deserving Emmy consideration for any of it whatsoever. No matter how good an actor they are/were in other circumstances.

by Anonymousreply 27304/16/2012

WEAK ep.

Saved marginally by the brilliant Miriam Shor and her (character's) hunky hubby. Annie Potts is great too.

Cheno is small, wizened and shrill.

by Anonymousreply 27404/16/2012

GCB, like Pan Am, may not last, the ratings aren't good. I'll watch it until it's cancelled.

[quote]"GCB" at 10 fell 21 percent in the demo, receiving its lowest rating to date with a 1.5/4 and 4.5 million total viewers.

by Anonymousreply 27504/16/2012

I'm not watching anymore because Mad Men came back on and I can only record 2 shows at once.

But I don't miss it.

I wanted to like this show, but it seemed very uneven and silly.

I think it could have benefited from a more satiric, instead of manically comic, tone.

by Anonymousreply 27604/16/2012

So was that really Cricket's gorgeous husband doing the singing or was he lip synching?

by Anonymousreply 27704/16/2012

I liked the show last week but I forgot about it this week. I watch Mad Men.

by Anonymousreply 27804/16/2012

I think that was Blake's voice singing. The actor, I can't remember his name, said in an interview that this was his first singing role ever.

by Anonymousreply 27904/16/2012

All of a sudden Amanda seemed to have gotten a new wardrobe. Did she finally take Gigi up on the Neiman's card???

by Anonymousreply 28004/17/2012

The girl who plays Amanda is not good in the role. Whoever said the actress looks uncomfortable is right. I wish they had started out with Amanda still being bitchy and then having to change.

by Anonymousreply 28104/17/2012

I thought I would hate the OTT qualities of the latest ep with the church musical spectacular, but it won me over. I loved how "Lazarus's" mummy-wrapping had a big fat bulge in the crotch! Then, there was the hilarious reveal and song.

As for the stuff with Kristin flailing around and falling from the fly system, there is a "church" in my neighborhood that had three people up on flies for their Christmas spectacular one year and one of them fell to her death. She came out of the harness and landed with a snapped neck right at the feet of several members of the congregation! I'm surprised there wasn't an uproar around here over the airing of Sunday night's show the way everything has to be inoffensive and correct these days.

I used quotes around the word church because this is a huge, vulgar, 10,000 seat McChurch with a Starbucks in the lobby and a virtually cult-like social aspect to it. Light on any true religion (not that I care, I'm Athiest!) And... this brings up the fact that there are only a handful or so of trained fly-rigging personnel in the U.S. who ensure safety in the productions that use it. These idiots had no right to do what they did without proper help, thus a death was caused by them.

by Anonymousreply 28204/17/2012

[quote]And... this brings up the fact that there are only a handful or so of trained fly-rigging personnel in the U.S. who ensure safety in the productions that use it. These idiots had no right to do what they did without proper help, thus a death was caused by them.

You are absolutely right!

by Anonymousreply 28304/17/2012

R282, I have to ask you to repeat this because... I am stunned into silence. THERE IS A STARBUCKS IN A CHURCH? I know I've been quite sheltered. I've only lived in towns and cities on the East Coast. I've visited friends in the West, but they tend to be in California. I've visited the Midwest, but usually not big metropolitan centers, there.

I love GCB because it seems like a skewering of ultra right wing Christian Texans, who I have some knowledge of, but a STARBUCKS in the lobby of a church? The show seemed WAY over the top, but it may just be closer to real life than I had thought. I like that religion doesn't take a front seat where I live. One more reason to stay where I am.

by Anonymousreply 28404/17/2012

The show is sorta fun, but it seems geared exclusively towards gay men. It has more double entendres than a Mae West convention, all the males look they've just stepped out of an A&F catalog and the camp-meter is through the roof. I just can't see how this thing is going to survive for very long on a major network.

by Anonymousreply 28504/18/2012

It's possible that it is not "a Starbucks," but I was told that they serve their coffee, so I apologize if that is wrong. I certainly would never go in there to find out. Check the link... This "church" is open all week long for social getting together (couches, wi-fi, free coffee!) Their home page (if you click on HOME) even has a to-go coffee cup as the primary graphic. Not a single cross or anything else religious in nature in sight.

by Anonymousreply 28604/18/2012

I agree with r285. It's too gay. Like Charles Busch-gay.

by Anonymousreply 28704/18/2012

What was with the red leather, yellow leather that Cricket and hubby were saying before the play

by Anonymousreply 28804/18/2012

Crossroads is a cult. All the people from that church are creepy. I am surprised that they have not resurrected the touchdown Jesus that burned down at the Solid Rock Church.

by Anonymousreply 28904/18/2012

I agree about Leslie Bibb - never really liked her in anything. There's just no 'there' there. I did like the Chenbot swinging through the church window, though - that was hilarious.

They should have Mark Deklin in a toga every week - one that casually rides up whenever he sits down. The man is the hottest thing on TV right now and he's totally wasted on this show, outside of the fact that he plays a closet 'mo who fucks hot farm hands, which they don't show. Why can't they play up that angle if they want to cater to the gays?

by Anonymousreply 29004/18/2012

It isn't leather, I am thinking feather, but not sure. It is an actor's vocal exercise.

A local Methodist Church and a Baptist Church (Six Flags Over Jesus) both have coffee shops that are open during business hours.

Leslie Bibb played the prom queen/ captain of the cheerleaders on Popular, but she was not the evil one, that was Nicole, played by Tammy Lynn Michaels, Melisa Ethridge's ex.

Deklin is a true joy to see, but don't leave out David James Elliot, or the pastor, or the former QB, or either son of the GCBs

by Anonymousreply 29104/18/2012

When Cricket's husband burst into the Manilow song Rip gave him a funny look, yes it's cliche but maybe that made Rip think he is gay?

by Anonymousreply 29204/18/2012

"red leather yellow leather" is indeed a vocal/enunication exercise like "rubber baby buggy bumpers"

by Anonymousreply 29304/18/2012

It's red FLOWER/ yellow FLOWER. Makes you open your mouth to ennunciate.

by Anonymousreply 29404/18/2012

[quote]What was with the red leather, yellow leather that Cricket and hubby were saying before the play

It was a salute to the radio contest tie breaker between Mr. Mooney and Lucille Carmichael from a "Here's Lucy" episode.

by Anonymousreply 29504/18/2012

NEVER heard of "red flower/yellow flower". It was always "red leather/yellow leather" as a tongue twister.

by Anonymousreply 29604/18/2012

Leslie Bibb has been doing her promotional work for the series. She had a fashion shoot in the March issue of [italic]More[/italic], and this month's [italic]Allure[/italic] has a full-length, posterior view nude photograph of her.

by Anonymousreply 29704/22/2012

I just received that issue, r297. Ms. Bibb is smoking' hot! (I'm a bi woman before anyone yells at me for being a straight man.)

by Anonymousreply 29804/22/2012

Oh, that's okay. We'll yell at you for being a bi-woman, too!

by Anonymousreply 29904/25/2012

That pastor is the HOTNESS.

by Anonymousreply 30004/25/2012

Ha -the actor playing the pastor's name is Tyler Jacob Moore!

and…is he hotter in a minister's garb or in a cop's uniform?

by Anonymousreply 30104/25/2012

Quit trying to make Leslie Bibb happen.

by Anonymousreply 30204/25/2012

There are a couple churches here in Dayton that have a Starbucks in them, as well as eateries, book shops, etc. Crossroads is only like 20 minutes from here and they are rebuilding the touchdown Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 30304/25/2012

How to explain the friendship between Nick & Monroe.

by Anonymousreply 30404/27/2012

I paused the BBQ teams and there were some really funny names besides Braise the Lord and Spicy Racks. The Episco-Pulled Pork, Star of Beef-Lahem and my own fave from the Jewish team: Bris-Ket! You really could only see these names if you stopped the recording and looked closely. I love that type of detail in a program.

by Anonymousreply 30505/01/2012

[quote]I am stunned into silence. THERE IS A STARBUCKS IN A CHURCH?

Yep.

I grew up in Tennessee and we had saunas, gyms, swimming pools, and so on in the fundy mega churches. Still do now.

Sad but true.

by Anonymousreply 30605/01/2012

[r304] I think you need to change the channel

by Anonymousreply 30705/01/2012

WHo was the hunk brother who is dating Amanda stalking for the guy from JAG?

by Anonymousreply 30805/02/2012

A relative, R308.

by Anonymousreply 30905/02/2012

Did the Boxlieghtner character throw the competition and call the girls' team the winners?

He is dating the mom after all, and his niece was on the team.

They didn't show any judges tasting the food either.

by Anonymousreply 31005/02/2012

No, R310, there were judges from other worship places if you noticed.

by Anonymousreply 31105/02/2012

The guy from JAG is so hot still... Jesus!

by Anonymousreply 31205/03/2012

Omg! The episode was hilarious! So many funny bits.

I thought the girl would end up being a half-sister or something.

The Preacher is now suddenly very interesting.

He is a hottie.

Too bad about that man snooping around Cricket and her hubby.

by Anonymousreply 31305/07/2012

Good episode tonight. Too bad its likely the last. I was dissapointed in the ending though. I just knew the cliffhanger would be the reveal that Amanda's husband was alive. They hinted that in the first two episodes and then it was just dropped.

by Anonymousreply 31405/07/2012

I don't think the man who's after Cricket is compelling or attractive enough at ALL! The show has so many great men and this is the one who's supposed to catch her attention?? Nah....

by Anonymousreply 31505/08/2012

It's been canceled:

by Anonymousreply 31605/11/2012

I wonder if USA or TNT will try to pick it up?

by Anonymousreply 31705/11/2012

They won't, R317. It's dead as a doornail and I'm heading to SMASH.

And, oh yeah, Leslie Bibb is a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 31805/11/2012

[quote]I wonder if USA or TNT will try to pick it up?

I think TNT has its hands full with Dallas.

by Anonymousreply 31905/11/2012

The ratings sucked and ABC needs an anchor for Sundays next fall.

by Anonymousreply 32005/11/2012

Her husband was alive?

by Anonymousreply 32105/12/2012

Let's hope an '80's style write in campaign can save this underrated show. Very well done and a really fun mix of trashy and moral, like those public service messages He Man used to say after each episode of the cartoon. I hope Miriam Shor, Annie Potts and Mark Deklin get Emmy nods. Their timing was spot on.

by Anonymousreply 32205/12/2012

Bummer about the cancelation. Really fun series.

by Anonymousreply 32305/12/2012

Too bad Wilhelmina Slater didn't get the chance to move from Wisteria Lane to Texas.

by Anonymousreply 32405/12/2012

Kristin Chenowith is the new Ted McGinley.

She kills every show she's on.

by Anonymousreply 32505/12/2012

Does Annie Potts and her fine ass have any upcoming roles lined up? They were both great in this show.

by Anonymousreply 32605/12/2012

Did I miss the reveal that the husband was alive or was that ht you though WAS goin to happen

THe pastor is hot though!

by Anonymousreply 32705/12/2012

This show should have a season 2.

I hate all this crap networks do now. IT's like they barely give a how to survive and find it's footing. By the time shows are on TV, it has been months since they filed them, how can you fix future episodes if there is no time to do it?

by Anonymousreply 32805/12/2012

[quote]Did I miss the reveal that the husband was alive or was that ht you though WAS goin to happen

No that was purely my speculation but if you go back and watch the first few episodes there was a bit of foreshadowing that the husband faked his death. Then nothing. I kept thinking they were going to address it. Who knows maybe they would have addressed it in season two.

by Anonymousreply 32905/12/2012

I'll join in a campaign to bring the show back, I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 33005/14/2012

Ha ha ha! Your shitty show was cancelled, fools!

by Anonymousreply 33105/14/2012

lets bring it back

by Anonymousreply 33205/14/2012

So, what happens in the book(s) the show is based on? Worth reading?

Poor Marisol Nichols. First The Gates (that featured Colton Haynes as teen werewolf) being canceled after one season and now GCB.

by Anonymousreply 33305/14/2012

And let's put it on in a barn.

by Anonymousreply 33405/14/2012

I am not surprised that this show could not attract a larger audience. Virtually none of the characters were likeable. Nor were they relatable.

by Anonymousreply 33505/14/2012

I am not surprised that this show failed to attract a larger audience. On this show, none of the characters were very likeable or relatable.

by Anonymousreply 33605/14/2012

We got it the first tome, R336

by Anonymousreply 33705/14/2012

And to think Annie Potts gave up three other pilots to join GCB....

by Anonymousreply 33805/15/2012

Miriam Shor, with all her talent can't keep a series either. Swingtown anyone? I just hope that she gets picked up for another series soon.

by Anonymousreply 33905/15/2012

This is why I abondoned episodic TV in the mid to late '90s (until just recently) and will probably do so again. Networks can't hack it for the long haul and keep shoving out new product to replace the things they didn't market right or allow to catch on. I mean, was Sunday night at 10:00 even the right time slot for this?!

by Anonymousreply 34005/15/2012
Need more help? Click Here.