Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

DOWNTON ABBEY Season 3 - Please continue!

If you haven't got your fill of DA now that Season 2 has drawn to a close, and are searching for something similar, check out BERKELEY SQUARE.

So much better than Upestairs/Downstairs, at least in the production values and costumes.

With the aded bonus of Jason O'Mara as the hot footman!

by Anonymousreply 60103/02/2013

I second BERKELEY SQUARE. Have watched that series twice. Anyone familiar with the crime series TRIAL AND RETRIBUTION will recognize Victoria Smurfit who plays one of the nannies. And Hermione Norris (WIRE IN THE BLOOD, MI-5) plays one of the wives. No this series isn't as elaborate or as well shot as Downtown but it does have Jason O'Mara as the footman.

by Anonymousreply 102/20/2012

Does anyone know if that's the last we see of Sharon Small? Can't see how that character would reappear but love the actress.

by Anonymousreply 202/20/2012

Yes, I do have way too much time on my hands but I was thinking about Fellowes'"Gosford Park" last night and then began fantasizing what it would be like to have DA's Thomas the footmen servicing GP's Jeremy Northam. Hot!

by Anonymousreply 302/20/2012

Here's the trailer for Julian Fellowes "Titanic' airing on ABC on the 100th Anniversary of the sinking in April !

Starring "Mrs. Bates"... cannot wait to see that bitch bounce off a propeller !

by Anonymousreply 402/20/2012

Great clip of Lady Edith !

Lady Edith: "Another slipped the hook?"

Lady Mary; "At least i'm not fishing with no bait ."

by Anonymousreply 502/20/2012

Interview with Allen leach ( Branson YUM!) and Rob James-Collier ( Thomas... lesser yum )

Branson seems to be quite gay in real life .

by Anonymousreply 602/20/2012

R5 here, forgot to link

by Anonymousreply 702/20/2012

So, Lady Mary only needs to say that Mr. Pamuk raped her and died in the process. Problem solved. Too easy?

by Anonymousreply 802/20/2012

Rape was not invented yet. besides you cannot rape the willing.

by Anonymousreply 902/20/2012

Too easy, r8. She would never say that in a million years. Whatever else her faults are, she wouldn't directly lie about someone that way.

by Anonymousreply 1002/20/2012

Let me emend that: she would never lie about someone she respected that way, and certainly not when she's not in the heat of anger.

by Anonymousreply 1102/20/2012

Scandal! The real Cora (the countess Carnovan who lived at Highclere at the time the series is set) was the illegitimate daughter of a Rothschild.

The current Countess reports that the actual staff at the time would have been about 60 people including 14 footmen and something called "hall boys." Heaven!

by Anonymousreply 1202/20/2012

Oh, the real Cora had the healing drive of Matthew's mother in the series. It was she who motivated turning the castle into a hospital. The real Robert financed the expeditions in Egypt that led to the discovery of King Tut's tomb.

by Anonymousreply 1302/20/2012

I hope in the next season, Thomas and Matthew hit if off. And Matthew's bisexuality becomes a prickly subject for Mary.

by Anonymousreply 1402/20/2012

Julian Fellows presents TITANIC! a four part mini series starring Maria Doyle Kennedy (Mrs. Bates from Downton Abbey). This April on ABC.

the trailer

by Anonymousreply 1502/20/2012

"Hello Shrimpy? It's Aunt Violet..."

Don't know why but that made me laugh my ass off!

by Anonymousreply 1602/20/2012

What is the point of yet another telling of the Titanic story? Yes, it's 100 years, but James Cameron is releasing his film in 3D.

by Anonymousreply 1702/20/2012

Whats the difference between lady Mary and the Titanic?

Only 1200 men went down on the Titanic.

by Anonymousreply 1802/20/2012

I do so love Laura Carmichael who plays Lady Edith! She seems to have a healthy sense of humor about the character and is actually quite lovely, too. I hope in her down time from the series she gets to play some great roles in feature films.

by Anonymousreply 1902/20/2012

They definitely made Edith more dowdy in the first series. Her hair, her clothing, her makeup, and she always had what my mother called "a puss on her face."

by Anonymousreply 2002/20/2012

Lady Edith is a classic combination of Suellen O'Hara and Jan Brady.

Middle daughter syndrome in early 20th century England.

by Anonymousreply 2102/20/2012

I actually have kind of a soft spot for Lady Edith - but then I always tend to cheer for the underdogs and "other ones". I'd like to see her get a decent storyline in season 3, an opportunity to get out of her more comely sister's shadow and come into her own somehow.

by Anonymousreply 2202/20/2012

And, after all, it's not exactly as if there's any great love out there for Lady Mary.

by Anonymousreply 2302/20/2012

Lady Mary is getting a Vanity Fair cover.

by Anonymousreply 2402/20/2012

Now?

by Anonymousreply 2502/21/2012

Can anyone tell me exactly what was called the grocery list on the wall that was shown by actress who plays Daisy (my favorite character!) on the post-episode feature shown Sunday night? I'd like to see if I can procure one & need to know precisely what to call it.

by Anonymousreply 2602/22/2012

Was it the House Needs board? It was something lIke that. Lover the little flip tabs.

by Anonymousreply 2702/22/2012

Honey--Don't forget the Borax.

by Anonymousreply 2802/22/2012

Just watched the Christmas episode on dvd. loved it. had to turn on the captions to "translate" some of Lady Violet's bon mots though.

"Ou sont les neiges d'antans?"

A verse from a 16th century French poet, Villon, means "Where are the snows of yesteryear". My guess is Lady Violet was lamenting her on reckless youth with Lord Hepworth's father back in the "late 60's " LOL

"Better stand back when you light the blue touch paper"

I guess she thought the grammaphone was some sort of explosive device.

BEST LINE

"Remember your Great-Aunt Roberta...,. she loaded the guns at Lucknow "

had to google that one, refers to the Siege of Lucknow during the Indian Mutiny of 1857.

Going to be a very long wait till September when we get to see series III on PBS.

by Anonymousreply 2902/22/2012

The best Lady Violet delivery was "Promise?" after Carlisle said he was never coming back to Downton.

by Anonymousreply 3002/22/2012

R30, LOVED that one too, especially the look on Lord Granthams`face when she said it, trying not to laugh .

Cannot wait to see what kind of interactions Maggie Smith & Shirley Maclain will have next series.

Plus I just read that O`Briens nephew , Alfred, will be joining the staff as a new footman, hope he`s hot and gets some action with Thomas . If her nephew IS gay that might help explain her friendship with Thomas, plus I think O`Brien might be a bit lesbian herself.

by Anonymousreply 3102/22/2012

Doesn`t Lady Edith remind you of something....

by Anonymousreply 3302/22/2012

Thanks for the info R29!

by Anonymousreply 3402/22/2012

I heard the rumor that Petula Clark appears on season III singing the hit theme song, "DOWNTON."

by Anonymousreply 3502/22/2012

LOL R35

There IS a rumour going around the set that Harrison Ford is interested in a role, and Fellowes may be considering creating a role for him.

by Anonymousreply 3602/22/2012

If this show devolves into stupid stunt casting I'm going to be really mad.

Shirley Maclaine=good.

Harrison Ford=absolutely not.

by Anonymousreply 3702/22/2012

Another Dowager Countess gem: "Don't be defeatist, dear. It's very middle class."

by Anonymousreply 3802/22/2012

Jason O`Mara is O`Brien`s nephew and the new footman.

He even looks like O`Brien

by Anonymousreply 3902/22/2012

"It's a nutcracker. For when you crack nuts." I loved the look on Violet's face.

by Anonymousreply 4002/22/2012

The new footman's gorgeous. Would love to see him as Thomas's new love interest.

by Anonymousreply 4102/22/2012

Where did it say there that he was joining the cast? He's got his own show now. Why be tenth-tier on DA?

by Anonymousreply 4202/22/2012

It's Matt Milne from "War Horse" who is playing the new footman/O'Brien's nephew.

And it's David Boreanaz, not Harrison Ford, who has started a Twitter campaign to get cast on Downton as a suitor for Lady Mary.

by Anonymousreply 4402/22/2012

Where did you read that, R39? Does that mean Terra Nova was cancelled?

by Anonymousreply 4502/22/2012

R39 is wrong.

by Anonymousreply 4602/22/2012

Yes, I liked that too.

by Anonymousreply 4702/22/2012

Didn't you all keep waiting for some revelation from Thomas or O'Brien that would finally allow us to understand their mysterious allegiance? I thought for sure they were brother and sister yet why would that need to be kept a secret?

by Anonymousreply 4802/22/2012

[quote]What gave it away? The fact that she's humorless?

She seemed envious of Bates's cane.

by Anonymousreply 4902/22/2012

jason seems a bit long in the tooth for a footman.

by Anonymousreply 5002/22/2012

[quote]Didn't you all keep waiting for some revelation from Thomas or O'Brien that would finally allow us to understand their mysterious allegiance?

Easy. They live and work in the same house and nobody else likes either of them.

by Anonymousreply 5102/22/2012

Well, then it's lucky he's not playing one, r50.

by Anonymousreply 5202/22/2012

[quote]Didn't you all keep waiting for some revelation from Thomas or O'Brien that would finally allow us to understand their mysterious allegiance? I thought for sure they were brother and sister yet why would that need to be kept a secret?

I agree with R51, but there is also the fact that the two of them are co-conspirators. There's no one else in the house who would go along with their schemes. They recognized the selfishness and sneakiness in each other early on.

We watched the bond develop between them when they took those smoke breaks together.

O'Brien deliberately caused Cora to have a miscarriage, and Thomas is a thief and a liar. They're birds of a feather.

by Anonymousreply 5302/22/2012

Ever wondered if you had any aristocrats in your family tree ? try this free search from "Burke's Peerage" ( Gives you a very generally search result, for more you have to sign up as a paid member)

I tried my family name, one of the families I'm related to are the Carnarvons! (the ones who currently live in Highclere castle aka DA)

I'll stay in The Armada room next visit!

by Anonymousreply 5402/23/2012

Silly me forgot the link ( must be all that inbreeding)

by Anonymousreply 5502/23/2012

Saw a UK interview with some cast, they say they'll be 2 weddings in Season 3 plus another Christmas Special, the time span will be the first 18 months of the 1920's... lots of Irish rebellion and politics with Branson & Sybil

I suspect one wedding will be Lady Mary and Matthew .... maybe the other will be poor Lady Edith ( or even better maybe Lady Violet gets swept off her feet by some cowboy from the middle west)

by Anonymousreply 5602/23/2012

Lady Edith would fare better in love if she were a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 5702/23/2012

Any idea when season 2 will be available on Netflix? I watch the show on an I pad and can't getbitbon the PBS site due to the need for flash.

by Anonymousreply 5802/23/2012

I heard Branson will be killed in the uprising and Sybil returns to highclere.

by Anonymousreply 5902/23/2012

I thought the guy who plays Branson said he'd been signed for the full 3rd series?

by Anonymousreply 6002/23/2012

Killing off Branson would be dumb. The marriage is fertile ground for plot points.

by Anonymousreply 6102/23/2012

The Irish War lasted until the summer of 1921. Branson could do series three and still get killed.

by Anonymousreply 6202/23/2012

Sybil is pregnant. If she has a son and Matthew gets killed off, her son would be the new heir.

Hmmm....

by Anonymousreply 6302/23/2012

You just know some of your favorite characters will die in order to make room for new ones with new story lines.

Who would you like to see go?

My choices:

Bates, because Anna deserves someone sexier.

Cousin Isobel, just because.

by Anonymousreply 6402/23/2012

[quote]Sybil is pregnant. If she has a son and Matthew gets killed off, her son would be the new heir.

I don't think so. If that were true, Matthew would never have been groomed to be the heir as the odds are very high that one of the daughters would have a son before Robert dies.

by Anonymousreply 6502/23/2012

The show is about the abbey, the lord and his wife and their three daughters.

Marrying all the daughters off so they live happily ever after ends the show.

So Branson gets killed in the Irish war and Matthew dies in a car accident. Then the two widowed daughters return to the abbey and the future of the home is again fraught with tension.

And Edith goes lesbo

by Anonymousreply 6602/23/2012

I suspect Bates will be found innocent, maybe that bitch Vera left a suicide note only to be opened when her husband is standing on the gallows.

by Anonymousreply 6702/23/2012

Has anyone bought the DA Soundtrack or the Christmas Album yet?

by Anonymousreply 6902/23/2012

I hope Bates will be found innocent. I think Vera's boyfriend probably killed her or the wife of her boyfriend. She was completely evil...she had probably fucked over a lot of people.

by Anonymousreply 7002/23/2012

Sir Richard Carlisle may have had Vera killed since she fucked him over as well. He would certainly have the connections to have her taken care of.

by Anonymousreply 7102/23/2012

I think she committed suicide to frame Bates.

by Anonymousreply 7202/23/2012

If I cannot have him in life, I will have him in death!

by Anonymousreply 7302/23/2012

I keep thinking O'Brien killed Vera.

by Anonymousreply 7402/23/2012

Vera died in London didn't she ? I don't think O'Brien could have made it there and back in time , not even on her broomstick.

Should have had the bitch die at Downton Abbey, then we would have a good old fashion "who-dun-it", like "Gosford Park". lots of suspects lots of motives.... you missed the boat there Lord Fellowes.

by Anonymousreply 7502/23/2012

Vera wrote a letter to someone saying that she was afraid of Bates killing her, there is some mystery person involved who killed her, someone she knew.

It will come out next season since Bates is going to get out of prison, that has already leaked from the actors...

by Anonymousreply 7702/24/2012

Link to Chart explaining it all...

by Anonymousreply 7802/24/2012

Use of "The Honourable"

"The Honourable" is a title which applies to younger sons of earls and all children of viscounts and barons (and the wives of those sons). However, it is used only on envelopes, and is never spoken, even by a servant, or used in the salutation of a letter. It is not even included on calling cards. (A person is announced by servants according to the name on his calling card.) Thus it is impossible to know, merely upon introduction, that a person ranks as an Honourable.

That's why when Isobel Crawley first met Lady Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham , she asked" Whatever shall we call each other?" To which the old bat replied "Well we can start with Mrs Crawley and Lady Grantham" then later in the series she refers to her as Cousin Isobel .

by Anonymousreply 7902/24/2012

[quote]It will come out next season since Bates is going to get out of prison, that has already leaked from the actors...

I wouldn't be so sure. Downton Abbey has a tradition of not wrapping storylines up.

by Anonymousreply 8002/24/2012

How is Matthew a cousin to the Earl? Was it explained? Are they first cousins? Second?

by Anonymousreply 8102/24/2012

Matthew is the third-cousin-once-removed of Robert Crawley, Sixth Earl of Grantham. They would have shared common great-great-great grandparents on their fathers side since they both have the last name Crawley.

His late father, Reginald Crawley, was a medical doctor who had done research on infections on children. Reginald Crawley trained under Matthew's maternal grandfather, who was also a medical doctor.

Matthew and Lord Crawleys common ancestor would have been one generation further back than this, so presumably around the late 1700's ?

by Anonymousreply 8202/24/2012

Thanks R82. For that tenuous link, Matthew inherits everything?!

Can someone also explained what a removed cousin is? I've always been confused about the removed business.

by Anonymousreply 8302/24/2012

"Removed cousins" gets rather complicated .... you would share common greats - but not directly pararell in descents. for example if your great grandparents were your cousin grandparents then you are cousins "once removed"

I read somewhere that is you have a surname that originated in Great Britain ( not including slave names here in North America ) you are basically no further removed than 8 or 9 times from every other person descended from Great Britain as well.

Pretty damned amazing that a small island with a relatively small population has risen to become the dominate cultural force in the world today, and that we ( I mean people of British descent) or all fairly closely related compared to the rest of the world.

Here s alink explaining more about the whole "cousins" thing.

by Anonymousreply 8402/24/2012

Let's say you and I are first cousins, r83. Your child would be my first cousin, once removed. Our children would be second cousins to each other.

by Anonymousreply 8502/24/2012

R85, thank you, that's how I understood it. What gets complicated is when it gets into 4th cousins once removed, etc. When I read something like that, it's hard to see that relationship. Guess it would help to have pen and paper in hand and sketch it out.

by Anonymousreply 8602/24/2012

R84, thanks, the Wikipedia chart is really helpful.

by Anonymousreply 8702/24/2012

The British are very inbred.

by Anonymousreply 8802/24/2012

[quote]The British are very inbred.

Who are we supposed to breed with... BELGIANS??

by Anonymousreply 8902/24/2012

They're not killing off Matthew. He and Mary are two of the most popular characters on the show.

Branson will probably be the "big death" for next season.

I imagine they're grooming Shirley MacLaine in case Maggie's cancer comes back.

by Anonymousreply 9002/24/2012

[quote]"The Honourable" is a title which applies to younger sons of earls and all children of viscounts and barons (and the wives of those sons). However, it is used only on envelopes

and on credit cards.

by Anonymousreply 9102/24/2012

Bump for Matthew and Thomas and their chins.

by Anonymousreply 9202/25/2012

[quote]... the dominate cultural force ...

Is this correct? "dominate"? Shouldn't it be "dominant"?

by Anonymousreply 9302/25/2012

I don't think R78's chart is accurate. Surely, the wife of an Earl is a Countess.

by Anonymousreply 9402/25/2012

[quote]"The Honourable" is a title which applies to younger sons of earls and all children of viscounts and barons (and the wives of those sons). However, it is used only on envelopes

Similarly in the US, the courtesy title Esquire, mysteriously appropriated by lawyers, should only be used when writing to a lawyer. Any lawyer who refers to himself as Joe Lawyer, Esq. is a pompous fool.

by Anonymousreply 9502/25/2012

[quote]I don't think [R78]'s chart is accurate. Surely, the wife of an Earl is a Countess.

If she isn't, I think we've found a way to get the Levinson money out of the Grantham estate, because I was sold a bill of goods.

by Anonymousreply 9602/25/2012

Thomas should end up being his Lordships bastard son and real heir to Downton.

by Anonymousreply 9702/25/2012

Here's the bit that explains Dowager Countesses.

by Anonymousreply 9802/25/2012

That does not explain it. In order to be a Dowager Countess the widow would have had to have been a Countess and your source implies neither Violet nor Cora had that title.

by Anonymousreply 9902/25/2012

But what is a dowager hump?

And which dowager was it named for?

by Anonymousreply 10002/25/2012

How kind of you all to put so much thought and effort in searching for the proper way to address me, I am most flattered.

But alas I have no plans to cross the Atlantic nor do I intend to be received in a wigwam .

by Anonymousreply 10102/25/2012

Don't worry, doll. I'll be coming to you.

by Anonymousreply 10202/25/2012

How wonderful Mrs. Levenson, my sister Roberta has been assisting me with the preparations for your welcome to Downton.

by Anonymousreply 10302/25/2012

I agree that Robert Carlisle had Vera murdered. Vera threatened him. If Richard does come back to threaten Mary, that will be used against him.

by Anonymousreply 10402/25/2012

Carlisle murdered Vera? Did he also force her to ask Bates to buy the poison that killed her? Did he ask Vera to write a letter saying she feared Bates would kill her? These are vital clues. She killed herself to frame her husband.

by Anonymousreply 10502/25/2012

Better to say she killed herself and framed her husband. One last bit of posthumous evil.

by Anonymousreply 10602/25/2012

I wonder if now that Matthew & Mary are back on and engaged, what will interfere this time around?

My guess is that Cora's mother is coming over from America with a lawyer in tow, whose discovered a way of breaking the entail . I cannot see why Mrs. Levenson would sit idly by while her daughters fortune is passed on the a third cousin once removed. So if Matthew is no longer the heir, and Mary gets to keep the money would the still stick together?

by Anonymousreply 10702/25/2012

Isn't Lady Mary almost 30 at this point? How long can they put off a marriage? Both Lady Mary and poor Edith would be considered over the hill old maids at their age.

by Anonymousreply 10802/25/2012

That would be an interesting plot point, R10. One clarification: Matthew would still be the heir to the title and the estate.

Mary would have her money with him or without him, and given that she loves him and the marriage saves the estate and answers her family's prayers, why wouldn't she marry him?

I hope they don't extend their courtship any further.

by Anonymousreply 10902/25/2012

Vera did not strike me as the type of personality that would become suicidal. What would have made her commit suicide ? A broken heart over Bates .... hardly.

She already had sent him to prison, b een separated for several years, and I certainly saw no love in her for Bates in the least. She got all of Bates money, plus whatever Carlisle gave her to remain quiet. Anyone that greedy would certainly want to stick around and enjoy her new found wealth wouldn't they?She was very angry that Bates was going to be happy and free of her at last, and very very few people ever commit suicide out of anger, especially someone as conniving and vicious as Vera.

My guess is she was murdered by someone in Carlisles' employ, then it was made to look like a suicide. No one even thought it was murder at first, seemed like it was a period of months or maybe longer before the police showed up to arrest Bates.

Anyways we have months of waiting , so plenty of time to play "Miss Marple"

by Anonymousreply 11002/25/2012

The engagement will be interrupted when Mary finds Matthew in bed with Thomas.

by Anonymousreply 11102/25/2012

I never thought Lady Mary was in love with boring Matthew at all. When he first showed up, she was blasé about him. Now suddenly he lights her fire? No way.

by Anonymousreply 11202/25/2012

[quote]My guess is that Cora's mother is coming over from America with a lawyer in tow, whose discovered a way of breaking the entail .

It should be who has or who's, rather than whose.

Questions about Cora's maiden name, Levinson:

Why aren't Cora's children Jewish?

Is it believable British aristocracy would have married their son to a Jewish girl, even for her vast fortune?

And how vast can her fortune be, given that her father was a milliner, not a steel magnate?

Is it believable at all Cora's family would have agreed to her renouncing her religion in order to marry into British aristocracy?

Is this just another example of one of Julian Fellowes' premises being illogical and historically ridiculous?

And no, I'm not being anti-Semitic. I'm asking about historical attitudes, prejudices and practices, not suggesting they were in any way admirable or should be acceptable today.

by Anonymousreply 11302/25/2012

[quote]Carlisle murdered Vera? Did he also force her to ask Bates to buy the poison that killed her? Did he ask Vera to write a letter saying she feared Bates would kill her?

More to the point, for her last meal, did she dine on Red Herring?

by Anonymousreply 11402/25/2012

R111 that would be more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 11502/25/2012

[quote] What would have made her commit suicide ? A broken heart over Bates .... hardly.

Hardly indeed. Her motive for killing herself isn't really relevant. The writers could cook one up--terminal illness, exposure as a criminal, lost all her money gambling or simply being a miserable human being.

We know she took pleasure in denying Bates his happiness.

Your theory requires that the fact that Vera asked Bates to buy the poison that killed her and that she wrote a letter saying her would kill her are merely unfortunate coincidences. I find that unlikely.

Would you like another cup of tea?

by Anonymousreply 11602/25/2012

Nothing thing about Vera's death ( not to beat a dead horse-faced bitch...)

If she WAS staging her suicide to make it look like Bates murdered her, she did a very bad job of it. Why not leave a half-scrawled note saying "John poisoned me....." or stagger out into the public once she'd taken the poison and screaming that her husband was killing her ?

Instead we see Vera lying facedown on the floor, looking very disheveled , surely if she was staging her suicide she would have positioned herself with a little more poise and dignity for when the body was discovered. She's also surrounded by broken teacups and such indicating that she just did not gulp the poison, she took the time to make tea, set a nice table, then topple over dead in a most undignified position.

i think she was murdered... it seems the only way Bates can be freed if someone else is either caught or confesses to her murder.

by Anonymousreply 11702/25/2012

[quote]Your theory requires that the fact that Vera asked Bates to buy the poison that killed her and that she wrote a letter saying her would kill her are merely unfortunate coincidences. I find that unlikely.

Not unfortunate coincidences. Garden variety plot contrivances in order to cloud the waters, and keep us guessing.

by Anonymousreply 11802/25/2012

[quote]Is this just another example of one of Julian Fellowes' premises being illogical and historically ridiculous?

The actual person Cora is based on (Countess Carnovan during this era) was (at least) half Jewish. She was an illegitimate daughter of a Rothschild.

The name Levinson is not necessarily Jewish and Martha is not a Jewish name. I don't believe the topic of Cora's being Jewish has ever been mentioned which is unlikely if she were. Perhaps her parents are not Jewish at all or her mother is not Jewish and she was not raised a Jew.

by Anonymousreply 11902/25/2012

[quote]Not unfortunate coincidences. Garden variety plot contrivances in order to cloud the waters, and keep us guessing.

But this is not a mystery story. We don't really care who killed Vera. We only care whether or not Bates did it. There really are no other logical suspects. Either Bates killed her or she killed herself. Carlisle has no motive and he is far more useful continuing as a powerful press magnate than he is as a prisoner never to be seen again.

by Anonymousreply 12002/25/2012

When did the Upper Class English stop using servants? I know it must still go on, but not in the way it was in Downton Abbey's era.

by Anonymousreply 12102/25/2012

[quote]Questions about Cora's maiden name, Levinson:

Why aren't Cora's children Jewish?

I thought about that too... but we are not even sure if "Levinson' is Jewish are we ? I have also seen it spelled "Levenson" in several; articles.

Martha Levinson is the widow of Isadore Levinson of Cincinnati, Ohio ( did they have Jews in Ohio the 1800's?) He made is fortune in dry goods and that's about we're told.

Martha has houses in New York & Newport, indicating that she is well established in American High Society , not that that precludes her from being Jewish, many members of society were in the US, Benjamin Guggenheim, Isadore & Ida Strauss ( all who died on titanic btw)

Martha may be herself a gentile and married Isadore ( assuming he was even Jewish) wouldn't her child, Cora therefore be gentile . ( i'm not Jewish, but i believe that the faith comes through your motherside is that correct?

by Anonymousreply 12202/25/2012

The question of who killed Vera is currently a mystery element in the show, R120, and so red herrings should be expected. They used it as a season cliff-hanger. And they were very deliberate in setting up Carlisle as a potential suspect to the audience (but not to the other characters) with his private threats to Vera should she cross him.

However it turns out, we haven't seen all the clues yet. Whatever deus ex machina is used to eventually free Bates, you can bet they have shown all their cards yet.

by Anonymousreply 12302/25/2012

Thomas could have killed Vera because he hates Bates. But since he can't scheme correctly, he would have been caught right away.

by Anonymousreply 12402/25/2012

[quote]When did the Upper Class English stop using servants? I know it must still go on, but not in the way it was in Downton Abbey's era.

IIRC most of the Great Country Houses went into decline during the 1930's and the Great Depression. Fellowes movie "Gosford Park" was set in the late 30's I think (?), and it portrays a house party in a great manoir house. At the end of the film the newly widowed Countess says something to the effect the she's not if she'll keep the house open.... leaving the impression that that way of live was just about over, once staff became too expensive as did hosting 20 guests at a time .

There are still many great houses like Highclere, which make money by being open ( at least partially) to the public as museums, while iothers are run as hotels .

The first great country house to be demolish by its owner was Trentham Hall in 1912 ( mostly due to the fact the river is was on became so polluted that no one could bear the smell) . After WW1 and the introduction of personal income tax and inheritance taxes in the UK, many more houses were demolished or abandoned because there owners could no ,longer afford them. That did not mean the streets were full of homeless Dukes, most peers have multiple homes, usually a home in London, a country estate, a hunting estate and since you do not need the castle to keep your title many great houses were lost forever In 1955 one great house was being demolished every 5 days to date over 2000 of these great houses are gone forever. It wasn't until the late 70's that people began to realize these houses are historically important , and that's why many are now listed with "The National trust" which offers various degrees of protection.

Here's a link that lists all the lost houses, many with pictures.... such a shame when you realize they are lost forever, but that way of life is gone forever as well, even the Queen lives much differently than her father and grandfather.

by Anonymousreply 12502/25/2012

Vera was also a ladies maid to the Marquess of Flichers (sp?) wife , which is where she first learned the story about Lady Mary & Poor Mr Pemuk from another maid who knew O'Brien.

Who are the Marquess & Marchioness of Flincher you ask?

Well if you remember when Lady Violet was on the telephone trying to find someone who would help bring William home ? She asked the Operator "Well how many Marqueeses of Flincher are there?" then once connected she said " Hello Shrimpy, it's Aunt Violet.... yes yes ..,. and how's Susan?"

Therefore we now know that the Marquess of Flincher is married to Lady Violet's niece ( her sister Roberta's daughter ) Susan.

Vera Bates was Susan's (Lady Flincher) maid , and was working for her when she learned the scandal from another maid who knew O'Brien .

Not sure what it all means, but John Bates was not Vera's only link to Downton, nor was he the only one with a motive or drudge to bear against Vera.

by Anonymousreply 12602/25/2012

Interesting, R126. I hadn't caught that connection. Frankly, I hope they contrive a more creative solution than the obvious choices of a Vera suicide or a Carlilse murder.

It would be refreshing for them to resolve a plot point in some other way than having it come screaming at you waving a flag from a mile off.

by Anonymousreply 12702/25/2012

SPOILER!

Downton Abbey Series III Opening Scene Script Leaked.

Scene I John Bates is lying in bed, morning light streaming through a window, the sound of running water is in the background. Bates slowly awakens and climbs out of bed, walks to a closed door behind which is the sound of running water.

John Bates opens the door to a steamy filled bathroom, slowly the steams clears and till a female figure can be seen in the shower standing back to the camera. The figure turns slowly looking over her soapy wet shoulder, revealing it to be Vera Bates

Vera : Well Good Morning

John Bates faints and falls to the floor

cue music

by Anonymousreply 12802/25/2012

I wondered about that too R124.

by Anonymousreply 12902/25/2012

As the figure of Vera approaches Bates, Bates immediately drops dead of a heart attack. Then we see the disguise come off. Vera is really Thomas in drag!

by Anonymousreply 13002/25/2012

It is obvious to me that Martha Levenson is not Jewish but was married to a Jew.

They really wouldn't have cast supreme shiksa Shirley MacLaine in the role if the character is Jewish, in spite of the fact that Shirley was (woefully) miscast as Jewess Gittel Mosca in the film version of Two for the Seesaw 50 years ago.

And yes, in the Jewish religion, the mother's religion determines the children's religion.

by Anonymousreply 13102/25/2012

[quote]even the Queen lives much differently than her father and grandfather.

Yes. She pees sitting down.

by Anonymousreply 13202/26/2012

You know, it's possible they will introduce a new character in series 3, someone we will be led to like, and that person will turn out to be Vera's killer. They're not going to carry the Bates thing all season, but maybe for three or four episodes.

Maybe it's Shirley! Maybe she killed Vera!

by Anonymousreply 13302/26/2012

[quote]The engagement will be interrupted when Mary finds Matthew in bed with Thomas.

... after he's finished being fucked by Branson, home on holiday.

by Anonymousreply 13402/26/2012

Bump for "Art."

by Anonymousreply 13502/27/2012

O'Brien has the hots for Lady Cora.

by Anonymousreply 13602/27/2012

Lavinia and Matthew should have married. Lavinia gets pregnant, but dies in childbirth. Season 3, Matthew and Mary get married, but Matthew is so devoted to his child with Lavinia, who is the spitting image of her dead mother, that Mary becomes jealous. Since we know she has adventurous streak, it doesn't surprise us that Mary looks for sex on the side, to spite her husband.

by Anonymousreply 13702/28/2012

MacLaine on the set of DA:

by Anonymousreply 13802/28/2012

Oh for fuck sake, R124. The show has already gotten ridiculous. What a dumb storyline you've proposed.

by Anonymousreply 14002/28/2012

R137, look up "cliche" in the dictionary. You'll find your proposed plot line as the definition.

by Anonymousreply 14102/28/2012

R141, no, I'd say the predictable storyline would be what just aired.

Mary and Matthew ending up together was hackneyed, not to mention stupid. Are we supposed to be happy that the woman whose focused on titles and money beat out the wallflower who came back to Matthew knowing he wouldn't be a "proper" husband?

by Anonymousreply 14202/28/2012

who's*

by Anonymousreply 14302/28/2012

[quote][R137], look up "cliche" in the dictionary. You'll find your proposed plot line as the definition.

Well, yes, but this is a soap opera. It if full of cliches as it is. Besides, I want Mary's bitchiness back in season 3!

by Anonymousreply 14402/28/2012

The pic of Mrs. Levinson in the car, shows Maclaine & a young woman and a man driving... looks like Martha' brought along her own maid & chauffeur ( and since the car looks like a left hand drive , I'd say that she may have even had her own American car shipped over as well!) Makes sense she bring some of her staff along, back in those days using someone else's maid would be like using someone elses' toothbrush !

Looks like 2 new staff members 9 they are defiantly in costume) and the chauffeur looks to be middle aged so many he'll spark some romance with Mrs. Hughes , or Mrs Patmore... or maybe even O'Brien!

He looks a little old and straight for Thomas.

There is another thread about the new photos, thanks for posting it here too, ( just transfered me comments from there as well, just in case they sound repetitive )

by Anonymousreply 14502/28/2012

Is Season 3 for sure about the early part of the 1920s?

I think that makes the most sense, but in looking for spoilers I came across an article where the EP ridiculously suggested that season 3 may start off at the end of the great depression right before world war II starts.

The third season, Neame said, may open in the years just before the next great conflict, World War II, possibly at the tail end of the Great Depression.

Will Downton Abbey be shelled in the Nazi Blitz? Will Matthew be going back to war? Or will the Crawley family suffer the hardship of the Depression as the German threat grows in the background?

Neame isn't revealing anything so far, including how much time will pass between the season two finale and the season three premiere. The second season began in 1916, only two years after the first season ended, but dropped viewers in the middle of the Battle of the Somme.

Regardless of whether next season's central focus will be on the Great Depression or on World War II, however, Downton Abbey is sure to go through as radical a change as it did in season two, leaving no character unchanged... or unscarred.

by Anonymousreply 14603/04/2012

Agree r142.

It would be as if Gone With the Wind ended with Scarlett happy that Melanie was finally out of the way and she and Ashley could be together rather than realizing she actually loved Rhett all along.

Matthew should have at least taken an episode to get over the shock that Mary wasn't a virgin and had kept a murder from him. He should have been at least a little bit hurt that before the war she was willing to marry him while keeping those things a secret from him rather than just take 5 minutes to decide he was over that.

by Anonymousreply 14703/04/2012

I read that Series III covers the first 18 months of the 1920's , meaning it should end around the summer of 1921. I don't think they'll stretch out DA to reach WW2, British tv series are notoriously short lived, even the most highly rated ones. ( with of course the never endoing soap operas like Corination Street and Eastenders)

by Anonymousreply 14803/05/2012

Is Maggie Smith leaving? NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

by Anonymousreply 14903/07/2012

The 1920s is an incredibly fascinating decade because it literally transitions from Old World to New in so many aspects. And the frocks!!!

Can't imagine they'd skip over that in one season or even two.

And if we're at the end of the 1930s, they would obviously need to do a major aging job on most of the characters, not to mention killing off some of the older ones.

by Anonymousreply 15003/07/2012

Was it DL that put the idea in my head that Elizabeth McGovern is channeling Carol Channing?

Every time I see the reruns now I can hear Carol Channing every time McGovern opens her mouth...

Thanks a lot, DL! :)

by Anonymousreply 15107/15/2012

Season 3 castshot

by Anonymousreply 15207/24/2012

You'd think they could have spent more than $10 and get a real photoshop artist to work on that image. Look at all of those fucking clone marks on the grass! So sloppy.

by Anonymousreply 15307/25/2012

Season 3 is amazing! Got the advance DVD and WoW.

by Anonymousreply 15412/08/2012

[quote] least taken an episode to get over the shock that Mary wasn't a virgin and had kept a murder from him

What murder?

by Anonymousreply 15512/08/2012

the hot turk

by Anonymousreply 15601/06/2013

I want Branson in me, quite deeply.

by Anonymousreply 15701/06/2013

But R157, you'd have to listen to him bitch about Ireland the whole time.

by Anonymousreply 15801/07/2013

Is Berkeley Square available streaming anywhere? Netflix or Amazon?

by Anonymousreply 15901/07/2013

According to the website, Cora is the daughter of Isidore Levinson of Cincinnati. That and the fact the show is based on the real Lady C. who was the illegitimate daughter of a Rothschild makes it clear that Cora is Jewish. It is just as likely that the G's would have their heir married to a Jewish heiress than that the C's would - as they did - have their heir married to the illegitimate daughter of a Jew. As to the Levinson's wealth, I would guess, as a dry goods family theirs is similar to the great dept. store fortunes.

I don't think the real Cora's mother was Jewish. Rothschild men traditionally married Jewish women (Rothschild women didn't nec. marry Jewish men, the family's interest was in keeping the Rothschild's children Jewish which only required their mothers to be Jewish), but Almina - the "real Cora" was illegitimate.

Presumably, Cora would have converted to Anglicanism. The girls being not only disentailed (perhaps not the right word) and of partly Jewish background certainly goes a great deal to their difficulty finding mates among the gentry.

But what is odd is that no one in the family ever mentions Cora's family having been Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 16001/13/2013

It's also strange that Martha has a place in Newport. Of course, there have been Jews in Newport since colonial days, including wealthy Sephardic Jews. But it's hard to see Martha embraced by Edith Wharton's Newort.

by Anonymousreply 16101/14/2013

What happened to the other thread? Isn't it odd to be deleted with 400 posts?

Cora's family was Episcopalian for decades.

by Anonymousreply 16202/12/2013

sometimes threads go away for a couple days and come back

by Anonymousreply 16302/12/2013

Just noticed that the other thread was gone. I think it was all the collaborative fiction predictions that caused that, though why it should I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 16402/12/2013

This weeks Downton Abbey on Facebook...

by Anonymousreply 16502/12/2013

So what is the story with the twinkie footman? He doesn't seem interested in men or women.

And will Thomas finally find someone to get over now that he's under-butler?

by Anonymousreply 16602/13/2013

Since when is a thread deleted due to collaborative fiction, R164?

by Anonymousreply 16702/13/2013

There's a new one called Mr. Carson and Mrs. Hughes

by Anonymousreply 16802/13/2013

Question. I just saw episode 6 on-line. Is episode 7 the one that just aired in the US this past Sunday? That one isn't posted on the PBS site yet. Or is episode 7 the finale that will air next Sunday?

by Anonymousreply 16902/13/2013

Poor Thomas looked like shit after he found out he was getting no reference.

by Anonymousreply 17002/13/2013

Ha! Carson told Lady Cora off!! That was priceless! And strangely enough, in-charcter. He is the proper, repectful butler, but you don't mess with cricket!

Question : How come Bates and Anna were all "Thomas is living. Good riddance. Vendence is sweet!" I understand that Thomas has been evil with Bates in 1912, but he hadn't done anything to him for a long time. IF I remeber correctly he had better to do in season 2 than take part in O'Brien evil schemes. She is the one who got Bates in jail, not Thomas. Am I wrong ?

Also, Anna is not BFF with the valet, but they seemed a bit closer in the last episodes, because of Lady Sybil's death. In Sunday episode, it was like it never happened.

Answer : For people who asked about the O'Brien/Thomas death fight, don't forget that in the episode where Thomas spread the rumor she wanted to leave, he also says something mean (duh!). When the servants are commenting about poor Lady Edith jilted at the altar, O'Brien says someting like : "I could never live with the shame!", to which Thomas quietly answers : "It's a good thing then nobody ever asked you." Her reaction is eloquent. She is hurt and finds nothing to reply.

Since it's O'Brien we are talking about, it's possible she thought : " You'll see what'it's like to be reminded you are NOT loved. 100 times fold, little bastard. " Hence, the Jimmy scheme.

by Anonymousreply 17102/13/2013

In this article, Rob James-Collier confirms that Thomas will have learnt nothing from Bates kindness to him when he was at his lowest. If anything, it makes him hate him even more because Bates saw him weak.

The series can't lose a villain, can it ?

by Anonymousreply 17202/13/2013

r172 - Oh. That's tiresome. After everything Thomas has been through, his character still doesn't evolve?

by Anonymousreply 17302/13/2013

Yeah, R173, I thought the same at first. But who knows. Maybe the way they do it could be interesting. Or better still, let the two men have other problems and not interact that much.

by Anonymousreply 17402/13/2013

Just when you thought Thomas was at his lowest this week, being fired without a reference, something even worse befalls him in the coming season finale. You'll see...

by Anonymousreply 17502/14/2013

I thought Thomas had something good happen in the Chrstmas special. Or is he involved in the "event"?

by Anonymousreply 17602/14/2013

[quote]Season 3 DVD set watched all weekend

These people make me laugh. And they don't quit or want to listen.

by Anonymousreply 17702/14/2013

Well you know Thomas followed the drunk Jimmy under the walkway to take advantage of him. He hasn't changed. He's just more desperate. And Jimmy acknowledged that he knew Thomas followed him to take advantage of him when he stepped in an took the thrashing with the thugs who wanted their money back.

Who knew that Thomas was rough trade?

by Anonymousreply 17802/14/2013

I actally thought the kiss between Thomas and Jimmy was hot. They would have made a good couple. Too bad there's that thing of not liking dick.

by Anonymousreply 17902/14/2013

OMG! Rob James-Collier doesn't even smoke in real life! And glad to hear spending a little time in LA has made him start to buff up.

by Anonymousreply 18002/14/2013

Loving this thread more than the original DA Season 3 thread that got deleted!

by Anonymousreply 18102/14/2013

[quote]And glad to hear spending a little time in LA has made him start to buff up.

Mary! Not Lady Mary either.

by Anonymousreply 18202/17/2013

Siobahn "O'Brien" Finneran is almost unrecognizable in real life. She looks so different as a "modern" person, and she's really quite attractive.

by Anonymousreply 18302/17/2013

Where is the dog?

Did they eat it?

by Anonymousreply 18402/17/2013

If they did it was served on Spode Stafford White.

by Anonymousreply 18502/17/2013

Siobhan Finneran actually looks exactly like O'Brien wearing a wig. She's not very attractive.

Rob James Collier has an irritating Manchester accent in real life. He also seems to be coked up here.

by Anonymousreply 18602/17/2013

Could someone please explain to a dolt like me how Vera's suicide ended up exonerating Bates? Something to do with baking?

by Anonymousreply 18702/17/2013

Vera killed herself and made it look like she was poisoned by Bates.

by Anonymousreply 18802/17/2013

I think she baked a poison pie crust and ate it.

I ff thru Bates. They took a sympathetic character and turned him into utter boredom.

by Anonymousreply 18902/17/2013

Allen Leech seems even hotter here than on Downton.

by Anonymousreply 19002/17/2013

Rob looks so much more attractive with soft floppy hair. They put far too much grease in it on the show.

Can't wait for tonight!!!

by Anonymousreply 19102/17/2013

I agree with r183 about how different Siobhan Finneran looks in real life.

by Anonymousreply 19202/17/2013

You're so used to seeing Hatchet Face/Helmet Head O'Brien it's hard to imagine that woman auditioning and getting it. Maybe she wigged up.

by Anonymousreply 19302/17/2013

I love O'Brien. That actress is a marvel. Sometimes I'll rewatch a scene just to see what she does with her face... her expressions are always barely perceptible but they speak volumes. I think the only time I saw her crack a noticeable smile was last week when she thought she had Thomas well and truly fucked. In a bad way.

Also loved her line: Back in the knife box, Miss Sharp.

by Anonymousreply 19402/17/2013

Dame Maggie is on 60 Minutes soon, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 19502/17/2013

Fuck... I forgot to watch that.

by Anonymousreply 19602/17/2013

Tom Branson has a scene tonight that will break your heart.

by Anonymousreply 19702/17/2013

Watched the season's final episode on DVD today. I already miss this show.

by Anonymousreply 19802/17/2013

Fuck!

by Anonymousreply 19902/17/2013

What an awful ending.

by Anonymousreply 20002/17/2013

Awful as in poor or awful as in yikes?

by Anonymousreply 20102/17/2013

The Lord of Highclere is hung like one of his horses.

There is a clip of he an his wife walking toward the camera in the tan pants. Huge cock and balls.

by Anonymousreply 20202/17/2013

Damn, damn, damn!

by Anonymousreply 20302/17/2013

R201 - awful yikes.

by Anonymousreply 20402/17/2013

Awful as in poor choice.

by Anonymousreply 20502/17/2013

Would love to lick Branson all over.

by Anonymousreply 20602/17/2013

Awful as in, what a soapy soaper of an ending. Look at Matthew's plot line: he's some commoner who suddenly inherits an enormous estate. He falls in love, out of love, out of love, with the estate's resident bitch. He inherits a fortune from the woman whom he jilted in order to marry the bitch. Then he has a son. Then he dies.

Days of Our Lives would be embarrassed.

by Anonymousreply 20702/17/2013

Maybe he's not really dead. It is a soap after all. Maybe it is a bad dream.

by Anonymousreply 20902/17/2013

I heart Mrs. Hughes all the time, but especially in that last scene with Branson.

by Anonymousreply 21002/17/2013

They could have had a new Matthew Crawley and kept the character going. No need for a main character leaving to be killed off.

by Anonymousreply 21102/17/2013

The Branson scene had me crying.

by Anonymousreply 21202/17/2013

I liked the Thomas/Jimmy scene at the end.

by Anonymousreply 21302/17/2013

I think Ma Crawley is one of the best characters in the show, though I hate her. She's a know it all and busy body and fairly clueless, but she's got a huge heart.

by Anonymousreply 21402/17/2013

Blood was gushing from Matthew's forehead.

Too bad it wasn't fat gushing from his goiter instead!

by Anonymousreply 21502/17/2013

Come on, moderator, bring the old DA thread back.

by Anonymousreply 21602/17/2013

I hate Julian Fellowes. Fine he needed to write a main character off the show. But this was handled so poorly. Just awful. People will be tqalking about how awful it was. It was just so contrived. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 21702/17/2013

I think the ending was that of a twin who was masquerading as that lead character.

That's how it's done on serials in the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 21802/17/2013

Mary and Matthew were becoming awfully boring. Maybe Mary will become her bitchy self again and we'll get an interesting storyline in the next season. Edith called her up on her cuntiness a few times in this episode already. So, do we think Edith will live with this editor guy in sin?

by Anonymousreply 21902/17/2013

Be a bit of downer for the UK viewers, who got to see this on Christmas Day.

The first Christmas they got them engaged.

The next Christmas they go disengaged... with some pretty serious blood.

But I like it. Mary becomes the central character now, raising the heir (who by the date of his birth is just ripe to head off to World War 2. Good luck Granthams!) What does she do? How does she relate now to her father? Is she a modernizer or a traditionalist? Is she on the hunt for a title after all? Is someone on the hunt for her? Will Cora run away to holiday to star as Betty Boop? What else can the Earl fuck up? 1929 isn't so far away and boy does like his stocks. Will Violet wear long skirts during the 1960s?

My serious bet: Mary and Branson. Watch them get it on. Very Lady Chatterly. Grrrrr.

by Anonymousreply 22002/17/2013

After last week's thrilling 2-parter, this one was a disappointment.

Who cares about the marital problems of Shrimpy and Prune-face? And now we're going to be saddled with their awful Rose all next season?

They clearly don't know what to do with Bates and Anna at this point. So let's watch Anna do a reel for a 1/2 hour. I'd rather see her Charleston with Branson.

And then Mrs. Crawley and the Doctor seem to be heating up. but then....no. Just as well, she'll probably move to Africa son-less next season to do missionary work.

I love Mrs. Patmore but she deserved a better storyline than that Wham bam, thank you Ma'm arc that lasted all of 45 minutes.

And when will O'Brien actually get a storyline?

For that matter, when will Violet get a story line??

Hope you all got to see Dame Maggie on 60 Minures....she did NOT disappoint!

by Anonymousreply 22102/17/2013

Edith is the dark horse. I don't think she's enlightened though. I think she's just desperate. It's kinda sad. In a funny way. She's Charlie Brown, love's the football.

by Anonymousreply 22202/17/2013

R219,

The Crawley daughter get to all suffer tragedy.

Sybil - no more

Mary - single mom

Edith - alone

Somehow it may be wise to bet on Edith. Perhaps she'll just to have to wait for the arrival of "Mr. Right" until the final episode of "Downton Abbey."

by Anonymousreply 22302/17/2013

I thought O'Brien was going to have a fling with the Scottish lady's maid.

by Anonymousreply 22402/17/2013

R224,

I thought it too.

But I think O'Brien is just butch.

I'm hoping for Thomas and Jimmy. That Thomas' "approach" was just a faux pas -- and that Jimmy has seen a new side of Thomas and, well, Jimmy hasn't exactly been knocking himself out looking for a Mrs. Jimmy and, well, he should realize there's good reason for that.

What will become of Daisy?

Dear Daisy.

by Anonymousreply 22502/17/2013

[quote]The Crawley daughter get to all suffer tragedy.

Except for Cora and Branson, the Granthams seem to have gotten over Sybil.

by Anonymousreply 22602/17/2013

PBS is strongly considering airing DA at the same time as Britain. I would really appreciate that.

by Anonymousreply 22702/17/2013

The actress who played Susan...wasn't she Cordelia from the original BRIDESHEAD REVISITED? Now THERE was a series...!

by Anonymousreply 22802/18/2013

R14, you can't imagine how far off you are. Wait till you see the Christmas episode.

by Anonymousreply 22902/18/2013

Well, they're upper class in 1920... stiff upper lip, carry on, don't moan about it. It's what got the Queen into so much troubled when Diana carked it.

by Anonymousreply 23002/18/2013

Yes, R228, Phoebe Nicholls -- Lady Cordelia Flyte on "Brideshead Revisited".

by Anonymousreply 23102/18/2013

No, R63, a daughter can't inherit (which is how we got Matthew), so neither can her son.

by Anonymousreply 23202/18/2013

I think Jimmy is closeted and Thomas realizes it and is willing to wait. I agree there's no female on Jimmy's horizon and Thomas seems to be compassionate and yet persistent in a way I don't see if Jimmy was straight.

by Anonymousreply 23302/18/2013

The doctor is Germanicus from I, Claudius.

by Anonymousreply 23402/18/2013

I can't wait for the next season to find out which pasty chinless guy Mary is going to pursue.

by Anonymousreply 23502/18/2013

[quote]Blood was gushing from Matthew's forehead.

Awful FX. They saved money on the off-screen crash. Could've coughed up a few more pounds for a realistic wound instead of film school 101 Karo syrup and food coloring.

Good to see Phoebe Nicholls again. Loved her as Cordelia Flyte in "Brideshead Revisited." Too bad Susan, her character, is such an unhappy bitch.

Here's hoping Dan Stevens doesn't end up as the Brit David Caruso.

by Anonymousreply 23602/18/2013

Jimmy, I think, is not as nice character. We aww him at the fair getting drunk, placing bets, running away from a fight. He will break Tom Barrow's heart. He will torment him. He has no honor.

Hopefully Dan Stevens will change his mind. Matthew Crawley was a good character for him. Do what if they were happy. There are other characters who can take a turn and be featured more prominently. That's what makes a series interesting, having a lot of different characters.

Matthew brought stability, I'd rather have Lord Grantham stroke out than lose Matthew. Julian Fellowes is not very imaginative. Not at all. This plot device is a cliche and it was handled and executed very poorly. Amateurish.

by Anonymousreply 23702/18/2013

"You know, Jimmy, I'm havin' a bita' trouble hearin' you reading that newspaper, away over there on the other side o' the room, like that. Why dontcha come a little closer... don't be afraid, just siddle up to me bed... that's right. Yeah, just like that. Ah, you're a good boy, Jimmy, a real nice boy."

by Anonymousreply 23802/18/2013

DID ANYONE SEE TOM'S HUGE BULGE WHILE WALKING THE DOG IN THE STREET? OMFG!!!!!!!

IT LOOKED LIKE IT WAS STRAPPED TO HIS FUCKING LEG!

by Anonymousreply 23902/18/2013

Wow. I loved Season 3 so much more than Season 2, despite all the silliness.

Will Rose be the Sammy-Jo of Season 4? Who will hottie Branson wind up with? What year will it be?

I agree that Mary & Matthew were getting a bit dull. But Dan Stephens should have stayed for at least another season. Based on the word-of-mouth from THE HEIRESS on Bway, he's not quite the star attraction he may imagine he is.

by Anonymousreply 24002/18/2013

I think you mean 'sidle', R238.

by Anonymousreply 24102/18/2013

{quote]The doctor is Germanicus from I, Claudius.

Thanks, 234. I kept trying to place him. Handsome older man and hot when he was younger.

by Anonymousreply 24202/18/2013

i knew it was coming but it was still sad to see Matthew's fate. Maybe they could do a spin off set in modern times where a medium moves into Downton and has to contend with the ghosts of all the characters who died in the original. lol

by Anonymousreply 24302/18/2013

The actor who plays the grandfather of Ethel's son was also in I, Claudius. He played Claudius's brother-in-law Castor, who was poisoned by his wife Livila and her lover Sejanus. He also played Drake Carne, the younger brother of Demelza, in "Poldark."

He's also the real life partner of Mrs Hughes, the housekeeper.

This is him about 35 years and 75 lbs ago

by Anonymousreply 24402/18/2013

243, Shirley MacLaine can help there.

by Anonymousreply 24502/18/2013

He also can get away being doughy in period costumes, but not in 21st century attire.

I hope to hell he returns; he is essential to the show.

by Anonymousreply 24602/18/2013

Cheese-y ending. I actually laughed because it was so like an American soap.

Still, I love the visuals in ths show, those scenes from Scotland were beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 24702/18/2013

R197 I have to admit I teared up a bit at that scene with Branson and Mrs. H. I think Tom is my favorite character.

by Anonymousreply 24802/18/2013

PS -- the woman in that scene is Patricia Quinn, who married Maggie Smith's first husband Robert Stephens. Stephens starred alongside Dame Maggie in The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. He was a hot mess. Died of alcoholism.

by Anonymousreply 24902/18/2013

The woman who played Susan (Mrs. Shrimpie) reminded me so much of Harriet Sansom Harris. I used to love her, but I haven't seen her in anything lately.

by Anonymousreply 25002/18/2013

[quote]The actor who plays the grandfather of Ethel's son was also in I, Claudius. He played Claudius's brother-in-law Castor, who was poisoned by his wife Livila and her lover Sejanus.

[quote]This is him about 35 years and 75 lbs ago.

I just watched that clip and then killed myself.

by Anonymousreply 25202/18/2013

The woman who played Susan was Phoebe Nicholls, who 30 years ago played little sister Cordelia Flyte in BRIDESHEAD REVISITED on PBS with Jeremy Irons...

Doesn't that make you feel old?

R250 - Harriet Harris is playing the Wicked Stepmother in the new Broadway production of Rodgers & Hammerstein's CINDERELLA, now in previews.

by Anonymousreply 25302/18/2013

Dan Stevens did decide not to renew for season four, which is why they had to write him out - and what could possibly make sense for him to leave, particularly after siring a child? Nothing, which is why they had to kill him.

Agree it was a stupid move on Stevens' part. But he's already booked a couple of new TV gigs (in England), so maybe he's moving forward and not looking back.

Tom Branson will clearly take up the slack for handsome younger man of the house. I don't see him and Lady Mary getting together.

And Edith has now, in essence, agreed to be the mistress of the publisher - whose crazy wife will undoubtedly die at some point in Series 4, freeing him up for a marriage.

by Anonymousreply 25402/18/2013

R253: Yes, that does make me feel old! And thanks for noting who she is. She did look very familiar but I was too lazy to imdb her.

by Anonymousreply 25502/18/2013

I think Jimmy is in the closet and though they are going to become friends, I think it is going to develop that Jimmy is going to discover he is gay and he is in love with Thomas. I agree with the poster who said Thomas knows deep down that Jimmy is gay ,and he is patient and he'll wait and do whatever it takes to get Jimmy.I think Thomas knows what he wants and like all men, goes after it. I think there is a love story between these two that will develop.

It pissed me off though Thomas's remark about the cook's sexual attraction as women. I love the cook because I think her character is really adorable.

One sister died now Matthewe died as well in an auto accident in one season! I think this may hurt the show because they are going too fast with the story line.

I think in the next season, Tom Branson is going to fall in love with Edith or the high society girl who went to live in Downton, I forgot her character's name.

I think ultimately Tom Branson is going to over see running Downtown which would be ironic because he originated as chauffeur.

These British men are so handsome! Someone on this thread Allen Leech and Brendan Coyle are gay? WOW! These two are major hotties! Here is a link of a collage of various pictures of the actors and actresses with costumes and without costumes. They look so different.

by Anonymousreply 25602/18/2013

Here is Anderson Albino Copper interviewing some of the cast of the show with a major frau audience Part/1. BTW, there are a lot of interesting interviews with the crew on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 25702/18/2013

Here is Part 2 of Anderson Albino Cooper's interview with some of the cast.

by Anonymousreply 25802/18/2013

Anderson Cooper is himself an American aristocrat.

by Anonymousreply 25902/18/2013

[quote]Harriet Sansom Harris. I used to love her, but I haven't seen her in anything lately.

She's on Broadway playing the stepmother in Rodgers and Hammerstein's CINDERELLA.

by Anonymousreply 26002/18/2013

Harriet Sansom Harris is my favorite non-star actress of all. She was brilliant in Frasier as Bebe the horrible agent, and then amazing in Memento as well.

by Anonymousreply 26102/18/2013

I was shocked the epidoe opened with "One year later" and then so very little had changed.

And still no bobbed hair! Didn't Irene Castle bob her hair in 1919? And she was British and started it all.

by Anonymousreply 26202/18/2013

The man that played the Turkish aristocrat is exceptionally handsome

by Anonymousreply 26302/18/2013

Wouldn't you call Edith's hair, bobbed? I think so.

by Anonymousreply 26402/18/2013

I hope we have seen the last of Edna the Parlour Maid.

by Anonymousreply 26502/18/2013

Would someone please explain what Mr. & Mrs. Shrimpy's money troubles are and why he thinks he can leave for India without her? Tx.

by Anonymousreply 26602/18/2013

r228 and r231, that is amazing you could recognize and place Mrs. Shrimpie.

I had to look her up; turns out she is the mother of Mr. Sienna Miller:

by Anonymousreply 26702/18/2013

[quote] These British men are so handsome! Someone on this thread Allen Leech and Brendan Coyle are gay?

Allen Leech is Irish, not British. Brendan Coyle was born in Britain, but his mother is Irish and his father is Scots.

Leech may be gay but Coyle is not.

by Anonymousreply 26802/18/2013

How do you know that Coyle is straight?

by Anonymousreply 26902/18/2013

The new housemaid, Edna, looked distractingly like Kelly Ripa.

by Anonymousreply 27002/18/2013

Really R270? I thought she looked pretty, not like a plasti-coated prostitute

by Anonymousreply 27102/18/2013

I don't know why some people believe Tom Barrow is gay in real life. More's the pity, but he's been in a long term relationship with a woman and they have a 3 yr old son. He discussed it when Barbara Walters pulled the info out of him on The View.( you know, it would be interesting if some brazen talk show host decided to talk about the gay actors who play straight characters, too.)

As I've watched more of the cast interviews, I think he will definitely be the break out star, not Dan Stevens. Rob has an edge to him, and even if he isn't gay, he is gorgeous. IMO.

I like Branson a lot too, but I need to see some of his interviews to decide whether he will break out. I think Dan Stevens will be disappointing because in real life he is truly boring. He's the guy you walk away from at a cocktail party.

by Anonymousreply 27202/18/2013

For all of you declaiming that Dan Stevens made a huge mistake, please be aware this show is made for the BBC, not American television. In Britain, being on television, movies, and the stage is considered equivalent and none is better than the other. At the height of her fame in England, Judi Dench did a sitcom for the BBC. Dan Stevens will get work on stage and in films and will be very happy. Some young idiot TV critic in this morning's paper compared him to David Caruso and McLean Stevenson. Not even close.

by Anonymousreply 27302/18/2013

Allen Leech and Rob James Collier have some fun in an interview.

by Anonymousreply 27402/18/2013

True, R273, they are equivalent, but there is a crossover factor that a lot of actors hope to achieve. It's one thing to be popular in the UK and work often, but entirely another to be popular here, in the USA and get fat film roles.

Dan just wrapped The Heiress on Broadway, and if he generated any buzz from that I haven't noticed. By agreeing to perform on Broadway, I believe he was attempting to capitalize on the DA popularity here, to establish some sort of beachhead as far as crossing over, and since he doesn't seem to have any serious film work lined up in the US, I just don't see him "happening" here. I think Rob will gain in popularity here.

by Anonymousreply 27502/18/2013

They didn't really say how Lord and Lady Shrimpie lost their money except to allude to the fact that they hadn't modernized at Duneagle the way the Crawleys had at Downton.

I took it to mean they were still trying to run their estate on rent from tenant farmers and what family capital existed. In many prior years, agriculture hadn't been profitable. Plus, tax was changing, especially inheritance tax. If I recall there was a loophole that if you transferred the family wealth to a trust or a living heir seven years prior to your death, tax was much reduced. But if you died without having made provision, death duties rose as high as 80%. Plus they were still trying to run the place with an army of servants, as in the good old days, which would have been expensive in any event as you weren't just paying them (which was crap obviously) but you were also feeding and clothing them.

by Anonymousreply 27602/18/2013

Predictions for next year:

we'll see Cora's brother... they mentioned him at length during Shirley's horribly repetitive visit.

we could see Rose's brother and sister... they were both given names in the last episode.

I bet they lay the groundwork for something between Mary and Branson in Season 5, assuming there is one.

by Anonymousreply 27702/18/2013

My attention span during this shows was basically:

Boring boring boring boring SERVANTS!! boring boring boring SERVANTS!! boring boring boring SERVANTS!!

Fellowes is clearly obsessed with these rich twits but the only really compelling characters live downstairs.

by Anonymousreply 27802/18/2013

The problem with the large estates often had to do with how lazy the management became. The older generation that knew how to exploit were parsimonious and extracted a lot from tenant farmers before the Industrial Revolution. The younger generation, spoiled and largely undereducated in finance, probably had no clue how to manage rents, had a lot of these lands tied up in long leases, and were too busy traveling and living a lavish lifestyle to treat it like a business.

And when economies became more complex, the rich were quick to try to capitalize on it without understanding it. When banks loved the rich for their capital, they got a good return on their wealth. When the wealthy started trying to take advantage of industries that bombed out, they faced new entrepreneurs competing for their money.

Massive wealth that was slowly drawn down had to be expanded and built back up to thrive. These idiots overextended themselves as all gluttons do.

Robert's belief in Ponzi was just a cheap joke but a reflection of his stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 27902/18/2013

I love upstairs and like downstairs. There's certainly a lot of heart downstairs, esp. Mrs. Hughes and Mrs. Patmore, under the bluster. And there's nothing like Carson doting on someone he likes.

I think upstairs is more of a story about class. Mary and Robert are consistent products of their upbringing, for the most part. If anything, the whole lot of them would be much more restrained and colder upstairs than they are.

It isn't perfect writing, but I see Fellowes are trying to reflect the tenor of the times. I think Mary is a well drawn, complex character. Even she knows she's not particularly nice, as she said to Matthew in the last episode, and while firm in her point of view, she's not a bitch for the fun of it and I don't think you can call her a true bitch in any even. She's just unrepentantly who she is and full speed ahead. She is stubbornly loyal to her father and to tradition. She was also loyal to Sybil, and was good on her word about the christening and subtly taking Branson under her wing. Remember how she insisted the visiting brother stay at the house like any guest of the famiy. She treats him with respect and her version of kindness. She is a pragmatist in many respects. I think she's one of the best drawn characters on the show.

It's the Maggie character I think is being written lazily. Love the soft heart under the brittle exterior but they're starting to write her all marshmallow. She's all over Rose Hilton with concern and clucking. They still give her the zingers because she delivers the goods but episode to episode, she's gone social worker.

by Anonymousreply 28002/18/2013

I'd still call Mary a true bitch. To her face.

by Anonymousreply 28102/18/2013

Re Jimmy & Thomas. The'yre so going the coming-out route with Jimmy.

Did anyone else notice that Jimmy said[italic] "I can't give you what you want" [/italic]as opposed to,[italic] "I don't want you want..." etc.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 28202/18/2013

Dan Stevens got out just in time - when I saw him on Broadway in THE HEIRESS I was surprised at how fleshy he seemed in person, when he didn't appear that way on TV. Except that in last night's final episode, he did indeed seem as fleshy (esp. around the jaw) as he did live on stage - he's reached his peak of physical attractiveness and now is past it - a large double chin is developing, and his body is starting to get that middle aged hulkiness where fat replaces fit. So it's good that he left, since he's no longer the heartthrob he once was.

That role falls to Allen Leech, whose shirtless scene last night was a pleasant surprise, even if he has poor nipple placement.

I hope Rob James Collier, currently in LA, strikes now while his iron is hot as well, since he also is reaching the end of his physical attractiveness phase and better get some work out of it before he ages into Hugh Bonneville.

by Anonymousreply 28302/18/2013

It is made by ITV, not BBC, r273. Stupid bint.

by Anonymousreply 28402/18/2013

Phoebe Nichols also played Hugh Grant's wife in Maurice.

by Anonymousreply 28502/18/2013

Friends told me Dan S was quite fat in THE HEIRESS, and they weren't as knocked out by his performance as they hoped. I like him but, again, he didn't sell tickets the way his producers may have hoped.

Speaking of Hugh Bonneville, WTF? He was really large in last night's episode, and was sporting multiple chins and jowls in profile. When did he put all the weight on? He had been a handsome middle-aged man.

by Anonymousreply 28602/18/2013

Interesting interview with EP here....

by Anonymousreply 28702/18/2013

What was the season finale in America last night was the Christmas episode in the UK, filmed several months after the rest of the season had been completed. In the intervening time, several of the actors had started to gain weight, incl. Stevens, Bonneville and some of the ladies. That may explain the altered physical appearances.

by Anonymousreply 28802/18/2013

R284, you beat me to it. :)

by Anonymousreply 28902/18/2013

oh, I disagree, I think Rob James-Collier is going to "happen." I don't thinnk he's reached his physical peak at all. I didn't know he is in LA now. I thought they were starting to film season 4. I do agree about Dan Stevens, though. Dull.

by Anonymousreply 29002/18/2013

An interview with Dan Stevens in the Telegraph: "Why I Left Downton Abbey."

by Anonymousreply 29102/18/2013

How about Bates? He somehow managed to gain weight in prison.

I love how we discussing weight gains and it's about the men rather than the women. Mary barely had a bump right before she gave birth. That was a bit ridiculous. Then again, I put up with sorts of ridiculous stuff for this show that I love. Has anyone aged?

by Anonymousreply 29202/18/2013

Maybe Ms. Patmore's horny old boyfriend can throw Lady Edith a pity fuck.

Rob James-Collier would make a good replacement for Daniel Craig should he leave the James Bond franchise.

by Anonymousreply 29302/18/2013

Love the idea, R293, but I'd rather see him play a Bond villain. I also thinking. He'd have been great in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. I'd like to see him play something dark and complicated. He's got the chops.Bet he would shine in a revival of Trainspotting on stage. He has quite a lively personality on the interviews.

by Anonymousreply 29402/18/2013

I agree, r194 Though at times I really don't understand her motivations. Thomas just assumes the world is against him and can't perceive or accept any kindness. I can link that to something about being gay in the time he's in but Ms. Obrien just seems mean foe mean's sake.

I would like to see more of her own personal motives to round out her character. Why does she have to be such a horrible woman at times?

[quote]Also loved her line: Back in the knife box, Miss Sharp.

Classic. And the delivery was perfect. And her awkward smile in that moment was perfect.

by Anonymousreply 29502/18/2013

What do we think Obrien said to the Shrimpy's wife after she realized the other maid's dirty trick?

by Anonymousreply 29602/18/2013

R292 - I was just thinking that about ten years have passed since the show first started (1912), but they all look the same - unaged, right down to their hair styles. I have noticed the clothing styles are starting to evolve into the '20's look.

I was also thinking that Mary did not look 8 to 9 months pregnant, and she looked very refreshed and neat (including her complicated hair style) after birth.

by Anonymousreply 29702/18/2013

Rob James has a wonderful musky nutsack

by Anonymousreply 29802/18/2013

[quote]What do we think Obrien said to the Shrimpy's wife after she realized the other maid's dirty trick?

"Your hair looks perfectly lovely." Shrimpy's wife touched her new hairstyle and blushed appreciatively.

by Anonymousreply 29902/18/2013

Dan Stevens will fade into obscurity. Too plain to stand out, and if his work hasn't shown range by now, it's unlikely it will. It will go down with the other boneheaded decisions to leave early. Downton will not go on forever, and he could have left with the series done. Eight episodes a year could not have been that taxing. He got greedy and listened to his agents, plain and simple.

As for O'Brien, add me to the chorus who thinks she's a closet lesbian, not just a spinster. The suppressed sapphic tension with her rival maid in Scotland was almost creepy, and I suspect she really has a thing for Anna but hates her for not liking her.

They can take this character anywhere, more wicked or failed attempts redemption and she keeps getting interesting.

by Anonymousreply 30002/18/2013

The Batezzzz-Anna relationship has got to be the most boring one ever filmed. I would have said Mary-Matthew, but at least they did something about that one. The only things that keeps the series going are the other servants -- Mrs. Hughes, Daisy, Thomas, and Mrs. Patmore--and most of all, O'Brien. O'Brien is just amazing: she gets few lines and little air time, but she's the most interesting character in the show.

Oddly, it's Mrs. Hughes who has become the moral compass for the show. She's the one who sets things right, whether she's dealing with Branson, Thomas, or Carson. It didn't start out that way, but somehow she's managed to take things over.

by Anonymousreply 30102/18/2013

I think the problem is that they can't do much with the family but you can constantly have new servants moving in and out. There's more tension downstairs while the family just seems to be churning out babies. At this point, they better start aging Lord and Lady G. because it's getting a little weird. They look like they haven't aged a day in ten years!

by Anonymousreply 30202/18/2013

R301, I actually like that Mrs. Hughes is a "good" character but isn't boring, like Bates.

I think Mrs. O'Brien told the Scottish Countess something along the lines of, "Your Lady's hair looks good but..." Remember she had just told the Scottish maid that she was grateful she no longer under obligation to be loyal. At that point, Mrs. O'Brien wasn't going to hold back.

by Anonymousreply 30302/18/2013

r239 all YES!

by Anonymousreply 30402/18/2013

Here's the Dame Maggie "60 Minutes" interview

by Anonymousreply 30502/18/2013

I don't want to meet new people. They have introduced some people with interesting story lines and then they get rid of them which is dumb. I wish Ethel were still around. I have to look at these characters, and now everyone has O'Brien's number upstairs so how much mischief can she plausibly do?

Anna and Bates are setlling in, Mrs Hughes & Carson are all harmony. I love Mrs. Pattmore's little adventure with a suitor, but honestly, with Daisy going to inherit William's portion, and the Chaffeur becoming the estate agent, Edith settling in with her paramour and her column, They could honestly end the series with #4, and who'd give a shit?

I don't care about Rose. She was someone to flit in and out, not someone to build a story around. Tom is the only one who has possibilities because so much is unresolved with him. I'd love to see hm & Jimmy hook up.

Isabel should have accepted the doctor's proposal, because DA is on the downward slope.

by Anonymousreply 30602/18/2013

At some point I think they're going to bring back the melty-faceless 'heir' that supposedly died on the Titanic but claimed he didn't.

by Anonymousreply 30702/18/2013

Well, all we saw was Matthew lying under the car. Maybe he isn't dead. Maybe just passed out or paralyzed.

by Anonymousreply 30802/18/2013

Here's something for you Downton Abbey freaks:

"This book was published in 1908 and is an amazing historical record for those interested in the history of day-to-day life in the era of Downton Abbey."

by Anonymousreply 30902/18/2013

Bates and Anna started sweetly but then it turned into too much suffering and protraction.

Would have been better for Bates' wife to get hired on.

O'Brien fascinates me too. I don't get the sapphic thing at all, but she's hard and cold and bitter and desperate for recognition. I think that's why she was so tight with the peer in Scotland... we're both bitches... we're both equals. I think O'Brien represents the resentful side of the servant class, trapped in their station no matter their ability. Did you see her face light up at the prospect of a move to India (in theory.) She wants out but I believe she feels trapped so she takes her pleasure where she can, but being so bitter, it's bitchy pleasure. She delights in making everybody feel as bad a she does inside and what little power in life she has she is going to wield mercilessly.

I laughed at her giving Moseley the gears over the O'Brien is quitting fiasco: I'll deal with you later. Moseley looked like he shit himself. And then Daisy: you're in the soup. I wouldn't be in her bad books for a gold clock.

O'Brien is a terror. I would also like to better know why. But I think that's it: she's stuck, she knows it, and is pisses her off.

Mind you, with that charm, I can't see her much good running a shop. You'll take what I have and like it. Now pay or get out.

by Anonymousreply 31002/18/2013

I hope they don't bring back Burning Man. That was too soapy for me and I cut this show a lot of slack.

by Anonymousreply 31102/18/2013

I think O'brien's character is drawn as the cliche evil spinster. She is resentful and bitter because she never got a man. If they ever do decide to give us a glimpse of her past, I bet there is heartbreak and cruel, abusive parents.

by Anonymousreply 31202/18/2013

I'm waiting to find out that O'Brien's "nephew" Alfred is really her illegitimate son.

by Anonymousreply 31302/18/2013

Rob James-Collier was hot on Corrie. Played a nice guy who ended up getting killed.

by Anonymousreply 31402/18/2013

[quote]with Daisy going to inherit William's portion, and the Chaffeur becoming the estate agent, Edith settling in with her paramour and her column, They could honestly end the series with #4, and who'd give a shit?

The times, they are a'changing, and the classes are leveling off (or at least crossing paths professionally).

by Anonymousreply 31502/18/2013

Seems like Julian Fellows did his 60 minutes interview mid-bleaching, during his dentist's lunch break.

His upper teeth are white and his lower rack is disgustingly yellow.

by Anonymousreply 31602/18/2013

R308 keep on believing that.

The press in Europe and now the US (see Entertainment Weekly) explains why Matthew is indeed dead. Dead dead dead.

They asked Dan Stevens and Jessica Findlay both to come back for just a couple of episodes and they both were "resolute". The writers said they couldn't have Matthew and Mary part after all it took to get them together or just have Matthew absent if he was never going to return to the series.

Findlay at least has film roles (one with Russel Crowe). Stevens went to Broadway and thought he'd have a long run and wants to do films. He's been told by his agent he needs to go to LA and do them and pull down the money while he's hot. Stupid agent doesn't realize they're killing the romance that gave him that stature. Dan Stevens is not a heartthrob. It's the story only.

by Anonymousreply 31702/18/2013

I think O'Brien is on her way out and will be going to India with that couple. Her conniving days at Downton are over because anyone would be foolish to believe anything she said.

I loved her look when she first drank the boozy punch. It said, "Amateur's mistake. Too much booze."

I like her character but I don't see where they will take it unless they - egads! - make her nice which would be no fun.

I also loved how Bates rallied around Thomas and Thomas is now his boss. Thomas should have said, "If you weren't so boring, we'd let you be in charge."

Actually Dr. Clarkson and Thomas should get it on. They were pretty chummy during the Great War.

by Anonymousreply 31802/18/2013

[quote]I'm waiting to find out that O'Brien's "nephew" Alfred is really her illegitimate son.

Wait, I remember that before this season aired in the US, someone who'd seen it in the UK told me that he actually is her son. I wonder where he got that, since it wasn't actually a plot point this season.

by Anonymousreply 31902/18/2013

Prediction: A drunken Jimmy will crawl into bed with Thomas in season 4.

by Anonymousreply 32002/18/2013

Dr. Clarkson is handsome. The actor was in a Midsomer Murders episode years agao and he was very sexy.

by Anonymousreply 32102/18/2013

If Alfred is O'Brien's son, then it's news to him.

However, it would be normal for a married sibling to raise a sister's illegitimate child.

by Anonymousreply 32202/18/2013

[quote] all we saw was Matthew lying under the car. Maybe he isn't dead. Maybe just passed out or paralyzed.

His eyes were open. He's dead. Why didn't they give Stevens more money to do one more season. Just one year or so with his happy life. Now Mary will go back to being a bitter depressing cow. And I was liking her.

by Anonymousreply 32302/18/2013

I really want to see a Carson/Hughes unspoken love story there. At least on Carson's part. I know it's very cliché but it would be sweet.

by Anonymousreply 32402/18/2013

Money had nothing to do with it. In England when you sign up for a TV series, the contract is for three years. He signed knowing he only wanted to do three and he did.

by Anonymousreply 32502/18/2013

[quote]Matthew is indeed dead. Dead dead dead.

Well, it could have all been a bad dream a la Bobby Ewing on Dallas.

by Anonymousreply 32602/18/2013

[quote]Now Mary will go back to being a bitter depressing cow.

Not necessarily. She may become a mad slut and go around fucking every clone of Mr. Pamuk she can find. Or maybe she will become a flapper, bob her hair, and get into (gasp!) jazz.

by Anonymousreply 32702/18/2013

Good interview, thanks, R287.

I hadn't realized that Sybil (Jessica Brown Findlay) also wanted out of the show. I'm not sure whether her post-DA future is better or worse than Dan Stevens. She's less well-known and less associated with the show than he is, but she is a good deal younger.

by Anonymousreply 32802/18/2013

I am the new D.A. jazz baby!

by Anonymousreply 32902/18/2013

I was so hoping that after the other maid tried to get O'Brien drunk, O'Brien would go to Lady Susan and out the maid, then take her place as Lady Susan's maid. After all, O'Brien did say she envied the other maid's travel with Shrimpie & Co., and she was very useful to Lady Susan doing her hair. That way we wouldn't have that bitch O'Brien downstairs making trouble - although at this point EVERYONE at Downton (at least downstairs) knows what a meddlesome troublemaker she is...

by Anonymousreply 33002/18/2013

r330, I think even O'Brien realized how miserable that household was and how miserable that old Lady was.

by Anonymousreply 33102/18/2013

I think it was more than a money issue. I think, and if you consider it, Matthew was going to become a secondary character in season 4. Stevens realized that.

The plot developments no longer favor him as a central character. Truly, beyond telling his father-in-law that they found new tennants and the farm is working well, and kissing his wife and son and saying I love you seven different ways, waht's left?

I think Fellowes was going to have him fade into the background, and let Sylbil's widower rise to a more prominent role. I don't think, out of the nine episodes for season 4, Dan Stevens would have featured in more than five.

So if you are Fellowes and Stevens is pressing for more money, and you cut his role back some, then the only alternative is to say no to him, and kill him.

Fellowes was trying to tell us that when he said they are too happy and there was nothing left to do. Happiness presents no interesting conflicts. But Bates & Anna are happy, Hughes & Carson are happy, so that doesn't wash. I bet Rose hits on the Irishman.

by Anonymousreply 33202/18/2013

I doubt Alfred is O'Brien's son. She'd be way more feral if he was. And Jimmy would have been in her sights, not Thomas. Jimmy's the one made first footman.

Although who knows what she'll be up to next year. Son or not I can't imagine she would put up with Alfred as #2 for long. You guys have probably tapped her arc for next year. Don't know about the son angle though. They're not shy about anvils clanging on that show... you would have thought she'd have been the one all over Ethel's problems if they shared a common bond.

by Anonymousreply 33302/18/2013

So why can't O'Brien do a halfway decent job on her own hair?

Just wondering.

by Anonymousreply 33402/18/2013

Not to beat a dead horse, but I think I remember Lady Edith's LONG hair worn let down in Lady Sybil's death scene.

Ladies' hairstyles often actually mimicked the silhouette of bobbed hair in the early 1920s.

It was worh short on the sides over the ears but the back portion was coiled up rather tightly at the nape, giving the impression of a bob.

You can see it in Mary, Cora and Mrs. Shrimpy's hairstyles as well as Edith's.

So far, the only main character to wear bobbed hair has been Sybil.

by Anonymousreply 33502/18/2013

Ok, I must be the only person on earth who actually believes Dan Stevens left DA because he was tired of playing the same boring character and is genuinely interested in playing other roles. And not necessarily heart throbs, just complex and varied characters. I bet he'd be the first person to admit his "heart throb" days are over and good riddance to them.

He is well within the tradition of British actors like Maggie Smith, who might have lived and worked in Hollywood, riding out her success and Oscar from The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie but chose, instead, to work on stage, TV, film and any medium that offered her interesting and diverse work. I think she even spent a couple of seasons in rep at the Canadian Stratford Shakespeare Festival in the late 70s between winning her 2 Oscars.

Not everybody wants to be a Hollywood movie star.

by Anonymousreply 33602/18/2013

If they add Judy Davis to the cast, should she be an upstairs or downstairs character?

by Anonymousreply 33702/18/2013

Shrimpie's wife was the same actress who played the overtly religious sister of 'Bridey' in BRIDESHEAD REVISITED. Can't remember the character’s name, but the poor gal was homely as a mudrail fence 30years ago, and seeing er now it's aparent time's not been kind to her. Must say though, she played the part of an unloving, detached English mother perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 33802/18/2013

SPOILER ALERT:

The last ten minutes of the entire show will be set on a Texas ranch. A woman wakes up and says: "Bobby, I had the strangest dream. I was an English lady, living in a castle..."

by Anonymousreply 33902/18/2013

Phoebe (Mrs. Shrimpy) Nicholls' son, actor Tom Sturridge, will be starring on in Orphans on Broadway this spring as the sandwich filling between Alec Baldwin and Shia LaBoeuf.

Tom is also the daddy of Sienna Miller's baby.

by Anonymousreply 34002/18/2013

Judy Davis will play Miss Dorinda Pringle, the uptight spinster schoolmarm who moves to the town of Downtown from up North. She will be romanced by Molesley and Dr. Clarkson, both of whom she will repel with vicious tongue-lashings in favor of her true unrequited love, the Earl of Grantham. After a drunken, teary confession of her feelings, she is fatally struck by Daisy, driving a donkey cart.

And yes, Davis will insist on doing her own hair and wearing her "kabuki-style" make-up.

by Anonymousreply 34102/18/2013

[quote]The last ten minutes of the entire show will be set on a Texas ranch. A woman wakes up and says: "Bobby, I had the strangest dream. I was an English lady, living in a castle..."

And then that scene will be interrupted when the housekeeper opens the curtains and say "Dr. Hartley, Dr. Hartley, you've been having bad dreams again. It's been 5 years since Mrs. Hartley's passing AND YOU NEED TO STOP dreaming about England or New England wives, get out of this room, and GET ON WITH YOUR LIFE!"

Mmm hmmm...

by Anonymousreply 34202/18/2013

[quote]she is fatally struck by Daisy, driving a donkey cart.

Whaaat? Is Daisy the Lois Sadler of Downton Abbey?

by Anonymousreply 34302/18/2013

"He's been told by his agent he needs to go to LA and do them and pull down the money while he's hot."

^^^^^^^^ Uhhhh....the only time Dan Stevens was ever 'hot' was in THE LINE OF BEAUTY, and that was 15 years ago. Yes, he has pretty eyes, but these days he's saddled with an aging jawline & neck, so 'hot' is no longer an option. ***interesting aside.....IMDB is stating Dan was born in 1982 ?! There's no way Dan is 31 years old !!

by Anonymousreply 34402/18/2013

I think the poster meant "hot" commercially, not physically, r344

by Anonymousreply 34502/18/2013

Downton Abbey could use a little Judy Dench.

by Anonymousreply 34602/18/2013

[quote]SPOILER ALERT:

The last ten minutes of the entire show will be set on a Texas ranch. A woman wakes up and says: "Bobby, I had the strangest dream. I was an English lady, living in a castle..."

I never called him Bobby and I've certainly never been to Texas.

by Anonymousreply 34702/18/2013

The LINE OF BEAUTY was only 2006, R310. I agree that he looks a good 5-10 years older than 31, anyway. What is it about English men?

For a good laugh, here's a thinner, blonder Dan in wacky comic mode in VAMPS!

by Anonymousreply 34802/18/2013

Dan Stevens has a major role in the Julian Assange biopic that is filming now, for US release in November. Benedict Cumberbatch plays Assange, and Laura Linney, Anthony Mackie and Daniel Bruhl are also in it.

He's also got two other projects. So he's striking while the iron is hot, but not necessarily in a way to become a US movie star.

by Anonymousreply 34902/18/2013

[quote]What do we think Obrien said to the Shrimpy's wife after she realized the other maid's dirty trick?

She said "I just wanted to warn your Ladyship to watch yourself around that one. She's eager to feast on your Ladyship's tunnel of carnal pleasure."

by Anonymousreply 35002/18/2013

O;Brien, she put the (real) spit in spit curls!

by Anonymousreply 35102/18/2013

Check out these series of pictures of Rob James-Collier's character making love with a guy. I never seen this before. It looks a spoiler for next season.

BTW, check out the other pictures of the actor.

by Anonymousreply 35202/18/2013

Mary's new love interest?

by Anonymousreply 35302/18/2013

Good Grief! I don't know if hottie Brendan Coyle is gay ,but there is no mention of being married or anything and this is the acting profession so do the math.

Here is a link to IMBD.

by Anonymousreply 35402/18/2013

R352: sorry to burst your bubble, but Episode 1, Season 1.

by Anonymousreply 35502/18/2013

Brendan Coyle cleverly eschews gender specific pronouns when asked about his private life. In his own words, he would like to find that "special person" soon.

by Anonymousreply 35602/18/2013

R355, really? I don't remember that all. I just remember the Turkish major, major stud who got pissed off for being hit on by a male.

by Anonymousreply 35702/18/2013

R357... yep.. the Duke of Crowbrough... who mystified Mary for her inability to charm him past a certain point. Not all the way the Pamuk point, but not even to polite handholding.

Cause he was upstairs being nasty with Thomas.

by Anonymousreply 35802/18/2013

And then when Thomas wanted to get serious about their relationship (and perhaps go far away together and start a little B&B in Vermont), the Duke ran so fast, only pink smoke was left behind.

And it was not about the gay for the Duke, it was about how dare a commoner profess his love for me.

by Anonymousreply 35902/18/2013

Rob Collier looks better with his clothes on.

by Anonymousreply 36002/18/2013

Here are Thomas, Daphne and Jimmy visiting Alan Carr's Chatty Man. I have only found this show on Youtube. I can't find it on BBC America.

by Anonymousreply 36102/18/2013

r361?

by Anonymousreply 36202/18/2013

Downton Abbey is very reminiscent of that series, Upstairs Downstairs. If anyone on this thread has never seen Upstairs Downstairs, rent it because it is another series which they show you the lives of the servants and the wealthy and it is very , very well done. The actress who played the cook in Upstairs Downstairs advised them on the set what they didn't do and they did do back in the 1900s in British life because Upstairs Downstairs was filmed in 1970, and the actress who played the cook was in her 70s at the time so she was defiantly around in the 1900s.

by Anonymousreply 36302/18/2013

All the actors on the show look better with their clothes on. I was very disappointed in the actor who plays Tom and his shirtless scene last night.

by Anonymousreply 36402/18/2013

Are you insane R364? Allen Leech has a beautiful body. He has the body of a man who works hard, not some silly gym bunny.

And I must say, his breakdown scene with Mrs. Hughes last night was one of the (if not THE) best crying scene I've ever seen done. I got all verklempt when it happened.

by Anonymousreply 36502/18/2013

What a brilliant revelation, R363. Nothing escapes you.

by Anonymousreply 36602/18/2013

OMG, R346, that would be AMAZING!

by Anonymousreply 36702/18/2013

At the beginning of the season I thought O'Brien was somehow connected to the death of Bates' wife. I thought maybe O'Brien poisoned her to frame Bates, although I had no specific ideas about how she might have pulled it off. Obviously nothing has ever happened with this, but I haven't dismissed the idea entirely.

by Anonymousreply 36802/18/2013

Mrs Hughes and Tom did have a very touching scene. Mrs. H is one of my favorite characters.

by Anonymousreply 36902/18/2013

Sorry here is the YouTube video

by Anonymousreply 37002/18/2013

Maybe Downton is the same as Mad Men in the sense that the actors are requested not to work out so they will look accurate for the period.

by Anonymousreply 37102/18/2013

Allen Leech as Marcus Agrippa in Rome

by Anonymousreply 37202/18/2013

Allen Leech is so handsome!

by Anonymousreply 37302/18/2013

Where the hell was O'Brien the morning little Jon Benet was killed? LOL. Get a life, losers. It's a stupid TV show!!!

by Anonymousreply 37402/18/2013

How old are you, r374? Isn't it a school night?

by Anonymousreply 37502/18/2013

Allen Leach rocks the Caesar bangs! Hawt.

by Anonymousreply 37602/18/2013

Sorry, but I'm a Tom Barrow man.

by Anonymousreply 37702/18/2013

Mr. Pamuk's new show premieres next Tuesday on CBS.

by Anonymousreply 37802/18/2013

The 60 Minutes interview with Maggie Smith was very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 37902/18/2013

R374, we don't like people here who write LOL. Don't make that mistake twice.

by Anonymousreply 38002/18/2013

Dan Stevens will have a great post-Downton career, said no one.

by Anonymousreply 38102/18/2013

[quote] How about Bates? He somehow managed to gain weight in prison.

Have you ever seen the other show Brendan Coyle recently starred in, "Lark Rise to Candleford"? The poorest family was headed up by the morbidly obese Dawn French. She was always getting sentenced to the workhouse or debtors prison, and came out fatter each time. Talk about unreality.

by Anonymousreply 38202/18/2013

I remember when Anthony Andrews was going to have a great career after Danger UXB and Brideshead Revisited.

I didn't see him for another 20 years, when he showed up in a guest shot on Rosemary and Thyme. Instead, his fellow castmate on Brideshead, Jeremy Irons, had a rather decent career.

by Anonymousreply 38302/18/2013

I loved the Maggie Smith interview on 60 Minutes. She cares little for fame and is all about the work, and always wants to do quality work. Good god, I wish every actor was more like her. We have way too many famewhores these days.

by Anonymousreply 38402/18/2013

Rob-James Collier (Thomas) in his early 20s. HAWT!!

by Anonymousreply 38502/18/2013

Collier was very, very pretty, but I'm not sure he has the types of looks that age well. Again, what is it about British men? Only a few of them ripen into something glorious in middle age.

by Anonymousreply 38602/19/2013

Well r385 Rob James Collier is almost 40 and he still looks great.

by Anonymousreply 38702/19/2013

That early-20s pic of Rob James-Collier goes some way in suggesting how difficult it is for a young, good-looking British actor to make his mark these days; even one as gorgeous as Rob was. He's probably been in the business for 20 years, and we in the states are only just discovering him. 50 years ago, with his looks and talent, he'd be playing support to Laurence Harvey or Dirk Bogarde in some upscale British film or stage play. Nowadays, an actor's lucky if he can make any kind of a name for himself by the time he's 40; if not by then, it's usually too late for a top-flight career on both stage and screen (exceptions to the rule persist, of course).

by Anonymousreply 38802/19/2013

Well, the nonexistent British film industry is partially to blame for that, R388. As recently as the 1980s, there were wonderful, provocative independent movies coming out of England and distributed in the US and elsewhere. Now, the rare TV hit like DOWNTON ABBEY is as good as it gets for British actors, unless they want to work in America.

by Anonymousreply 38902/19/2013

I thought Branson looked fucking hot without his shirt on. HOT.

by Anonymousreply 39002/19/2013

Mmm, R320, something like this...

Um, I don't know if you'll approve of what I've done, Mr. Barrow, sir, but I've brought a little bottle with me this evening. A bottle? You mean some spirits, Jimmy? Yes, sir, a wee bit of rum to take the chill off this cold night. Ah, that looks mighty fine; don't mind sharing a glass or two with you, at all. There are some cups over there, an' I'll pour. Oh, no, Mr. Barrow, let me pour. No, Jimmy, I insist. Oh, damn it to hell, look what I've done now, got this fine English rum all over your shirt. Soaked you to the bone, I'm afraid. Oh, it's all right, Mr. Barrow. It'll dry off quick enough. No, Jimmy, I don't want you to catch your death of cold on a night like this. What would Bates say if he had the two of us laid up in bed for who knows how long, you nursin' a headcold and me recoverin' from my hero's folly. Come on, take that shirt off, and give it over to me. I'll hang it near the fireplace to dry. Ah, yes, that'll do the trick. And, oh, don't you look mighty refreshed by that splash of liquid running all over your chest and arms. Let me dry you off, quick like. Thanks, Mr. Barrow, I think I've got it taken care of. Um, call me Tom, will ya, Jimmy? Um, sure, Tom. Now, come on, Jimmy, let's both get under the covers together and take the chill off our weary bones, nothing funny like, just two good friends... Jimmy and Tom. Tom and Jimmy. Peas in a pod. Birds of a feather. What's that, sir, birds of a what? Oh, nothin', boy. Nothing at all. Just close your eyes an' get some shut eye before they come callin' for us again.

by Anonymousreply 39102/19/2013

Exactly, R389. Such a disappointing waste of some fine talent.

by Anonymousreply 39202/19/2013

Go on, R391.

by Anonymousreply 39302/19/2013

"...his fellow castmate on Brideshead, Jeremy Irons, had a rather decent career."

A "rather decent career... a rather decent career"!!!

I've won a fuckin' Oscar and a bloody Tony, and you... you piss-swilling, grass-eating, no-nothing, dunderheaded... call that a "rather decent career"!!!!!

Well, I've fucked Carly Simon, too, so blow that out your fetid, gangrenous, no doubt colonial, ass.

by Anonymousreply 39402/19/2013

lol at r394...it sounds just like him.

by Anonymousreply 39502/19/2013

Yes, R340, it's almost amazing that mush-faced, little Phoebe Nicholls plopped out gorgeous Tom Sturridge, one of the prettiest (and finest) young British actors working today.

by Anonymousreply 39602/19/2013

Sturridge is cute now...but it is tricky with the young brits...the smoking and beer take their tole suddenly....You literally can go to bed Prince William and wake up Peter O'toole.

by Anonymousreply 39702/19/2013

WOW! R387! Rob James Collier was hoter than hell in that picture! Mama Mia!

by Anonymousreply 39802/19/2013

[quote]and the actress who played the cook was in her 70s at the time so she was defiantly around in the 1900s.

As a little girl, nobody wanted her but she was feisty, stood up to all at the orphanage, defied convention and authorities, to declare "I AM!" and stick around for more.

by Anonymousreply 39902/19/2013

[quote]fine English rum

Made from premium sugar cane harvested in the best fields of...Manchester?!

by Anonymousreply 40002/19/2013

Who are you talking about, R272? Who is Tom Barrow? Do you mean Branson?

by Anonymousreply 40102/19/2013

Who else thinks the death by car of Dan Stevens was calculated to crash his future career?

Why couldn't the putz just stay on the show and do other projects on the side?

by Anonymousreply 40202/19/2013

Thomas Barrow is Thomas the (former) Footman. Now that he is Under Butler he is addressed as Mr. Barrow.

by Anonymousreply 40302/19/2013

Sorry, R272/R403 I just misunderstood.

Yes, I agree that the actor playing Thomas the footman is most likely straight. But now I hear that Allen Leech (Tom Branson) might be straight?! Color me surprised. I always thought he was gay. Unless he's started to beard, that would suck.

by Anonymousreply 40402/19/2013

Though none of you asked:

"Ghillie" is Gaelic for "gamekeeper" and a ghillie's ball is a Scottish tradition held at the end of the stalking (hunting) season to thank all the household staff.

Everyone attends--family, guests, and upstairs, downstairs, and outdoors staff--and everyone dances.

The Queen has them at Balmoral and was apparently quite the dancer in her day.

by Anonymousreply 40502/19/2013

Let's talk about Mr. Barrow and Jimmy. We know Jimmy was suffering from overexhuberance at the fair. He was bragging, and betting, and swilling, and having a ball. Never did figure why did he wander off to that deserted area under the bridge?

Later,when they finally had their talk, did Mr Barrow admit to following him so he could take advantage of his inebriated state? Or was he worried about him and trailed discreetly to make sure the poor lad didn't pass out and miss going back to Downton?

I was puzzled why he'd risk more trouble for going after Jimmy again to hit on him? It just didn't seem like a smart thing to do, and Mr. Barrow may be foolish, but he isn't stupid.

He'd been promoed. Harrassing dear Jimmy would've created a new explosion just when it appears things were calmingn between Jimmy, Alfred, & Mr. Barrow. You know they probably hated finding out he'd been promoted when Alfred was hoping he'd just leave.

I also wonder whether Jimmy now sees the treachery of O'Brien,the shit stirrer..

I must admit, I got goosebumps watching the scene when Jimmy asked, "Why were you following me?" and Mr Barrow said, hoarsely, " You know why..."

it gave me a thrill down my leg.

by Anonymousreply 40602/19/2013

He's in love (or at least in lust) with Jimmy and was following the drunken fool to make sure nothing happened to that pretty face.

by Anonymousreply 40702/19/2013

Yes though I did not ask, I wondered about that mixing of servants and aristocracy so thank you for posting it r403!

Also, based on the acting range shown by Rob Collier who plays Thomas, in years to come I definitely can see him getting more work along the lines of Jeremy Irons, Colin Firth, Ralph Fiennes etc.

by Anonymousreply 40802/19/2013

Barrow was following the drunken Jimmy to make sure he didn't get into trouble. Which is exactly what Jimmy did.

I think Thomas is pretty awful, but the sincerity and depth of his feelings for James are touching.

by Anonymousreply 40902/19/2013

Collier is nearly 40? Damn, he looks good.

by Anonymousreply 41002/19/2013

[quote]Never did figure why did he wander off to that deserted area under the bridge?

He was drunk and probably was going to pee. Thomas was just sight-seeing and we all know what he hoping to sight.

by Anonymousreply 41102/19/2013

They really need to let Jimmy give in to Thomas in season 4. But it should be a slow seduction, keeping us on the edge of our seats through several episodes. They are a much hotter, more interesting pair than anything else the writers can cook up.

by Anonymousreply 41202/19/2013

Thomas needs to be in Jimmy quite deeply!

by Anonymousreply 41302/19/2013

[quote]Collier is nearly 40? Damn, he looks good.

If imdb is correct, he will be 37 this year. He looks 10 years younger.

by Anonymousreply 41402/19/2013

My hope for Thomas-Jimmy is that Thomas starts to show signs of moving on, maybe even meeting someone and Jimmy gets jealous and realizes he's fooling no one, and that the reason he's being so homophobic is that he's behind in his acceptance of who he is.

by Anonymousreply 41502/19/2013

Jimmy is falling in love with Thomas.

by Anonymousreply 41602/19/2013

[quote] Though none of you asked:

That is because we already knew.

by Anonymousreply 41702/19/2013

Love your plotline r415, and would be a very pleased viewer if that were the case.

by Anonymousreply 41802/19/2013

Bates in his younger days.

by Anonymousreply 41902/19/2013

I was reading an article this morning in one of the free NY papers about how the Park Ave set are now asking staffing services to supply them with butlers and ladies' maids, all inspired by Downton Abbey.

by Anonymousreply 42102/19/2013

[quote] was reading an article this morning in one of the free NY papers about how the Park Ave set are now asking staffing services to supply them with butlers and ladies' maids, all inspired by Downton Abbey.

You do know that stuff is made up, mostly by NYU student interns.

And I've known people who worked for NY Mag. They make up the story, then go out and find people to interview to flesh out their made up story. Ninety percent of the trends you read about in NY Mag are totally fabricated.

by Anonymousreply 42202/19/2013

It wasn't NY Mag. It was AM New York. Cheap and free. No idea if they make up their stories but I don't find it hard to believe that pretentious rich people would want somebody to dress them and wait on them hand and foot like in DA.

by Anonymousreply 42302/19/2013

Dr. Clarkson needs to be inside of me quite deeply

by Anonymousreply 42402/19/2013

Downtown Abbey anachronistic question #3:

At the Thirsk (?) Fair, what are the odds that a small English village in 1924 would have electricity to power the Merry Go Round and the other rides?

And the "chair ride" that was shown briefly - the one that spins riders out to the side...was that even around in 1924?

by Anonymousreply 42502/19/2013

Rob James-Collier was pretty in that picture, but is downright hot now that he has some age on him. He is thoroughly wasted on that twink Barrow is obsessed with (though I agree with the fanfic that thinks he and Branson would make a beautiful couple with an obscenely terrific sex life).

by Anonymousreply 42602/19/2013

[quote]what are the odds that a small English village in 1924 would have electricity to power the Merry Go Round and the other rides?

The merry go round was propelled by two dozen street urchins frantically pedaling away in sub-human conditions beneath the ride.

by Anonymousreply 42702/19/2013

I can't swaer to this but I think I've been on rides that were powered by diesel fuel.

by Anonymousreply 42802/19/2013

Thomas/Jimmy is going to be a big source of fan fiction (if it isn't already)

by Anonymousreply 42902/19/2013

when Sybil married Branson does she become "Lady Sybil Branson"? Is she still a Lady as a daughter of an Earl? But Branson is a commoner....

by Anonymousreply 43002/19/2013

Daughters of Earl's keep the honorary title of Lady.

by Anonymousreply 43102/19/2013

I do think the servants' acceptance of a homosexual coworker was VERY anachronistic.

by Anonymousreply 43202/19/2013

I think those old fashioned rides were powered by steam engines.

by Anonymousreply 43302/19/2013

Well, they had cars, as Matthew could attest, and they were looking at getting mechanical equipment for the farm to make it more efficient and increase their yield, so I imagine they could power a few carnival rides. They only had two, and the merry-go-round was quite a huge attraction back then.

I also tend to think these fairs were close by and in a more affluent area of the country, not like Doneagle castle was in the true rural sticks where the most fun you had was stalking and killing deer, and shooting, and hiking, and fishing. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 43402/19/2013

DOn't much care about Tom Barrow, but Ron Collier is hot.

by Anonymousreply 43502/19/2013

I meant Rob. Rob Collier. Hottie.

by Anonymousreply 43602/19/2013

R436,

That's Rob James-Collier.

by Anonymousreply 43702/19/2013

If Rob Collier gets a career out of it then DA is worth it. Let Dan Stevens go, as long as Rob stays.

by Anonymousreply 43802/19/2013

Thanks R385. What a hunk. I liked how that other site refers to him as "RJC". I think we should adopt that convention.

by Anonymousreply 43902/19/2013

Re Dan Stevens:

Downton may (or may not?) only last another season or two, so it's not as if he's committed professional suicide by leaving at the time he finished shooting season 3 as opposed to leaving a year or two after that, is it?

If anything, he'll be able to devote more time to whatever he really wants to try to do before the show is over.

by Anonymousreply 44002/19/2013

I don't get all the Rob James Collier lust. Sure, he's a reasonably good looking guy, but in an industry littered with reasonably good looking guys, he doesn't really stand out. Not to me anyway.

But tastes vary, of course.

by Anonymousreply 44102/19/2013

[quote]At the Thirsk (?) Fair, what are the odds that a small English village in 1924 would have electricity to power the Merry Go Round and the other rides?

God question but carnivals toured with their own electric generators starting in the 1900s

by Anonymousreply 44202/19/2013

[quote]that the reason he's being so homophobic is that he's behind in his acceptance of who he is.

Yeah, that's just how they thought in the 1920s. Everybody gets a new cloche!

by Anonymousreply 44302/19/2013

[quote]At the Thirsk (?) Fair, what are the odds that a small English village in 1924 would have electricity to power the Merry Go Round and the other rides?

I think that it would have been more likely in the 30's rather than the mid twenties. The electrification of rural Britain was something that happened over an extended period of time, and places that were the most remote had to wait the longest, for obvious reasons of cost.

But we know that in this fictional world, Downton Abbey itself was electrified, so there were lines coming into the area and it would be improbable that the village of Downton with its potential customer base would have been bypassed when running the lines to the estate.

by Anonymousreply 44402/19/2013

I think DL (and everyone's) facination with RJC is coming from seeing him more now in TV interviews and photos of him out of costume. I think he looks far hotter without the stiff hair and high collars....and a little scruff.

by Anonymousreply 44502/19/2013

[quote] I do think the servants' acceptance of a homosexual coworker was VERY anachronistic.

Especially after the hysteria caused by Ethel's past harlotry. How else did they expect a woman with a child, no husband and no reference feed herself and the child in those days?

They were all, "Ah, he can't help it. God made him that way," about Thomas, who is living right there in the servants quarters, sneaking into their' beds and practically molesting them, but they felt contaminated by Ethel's proximity in the same village.

by Anonymousreply 44602/19/2013

r446, go figure.

by Anonymousreply 44702/19/2013

Please r446! Women didn't even vote in the UK in 1921.

They were considered sub-human, so Thomas and Ethel's sexual peccadiloes were not comparable.

by Anonymousreply 44802/19/2013

Boys will be boys but girls should behave themselves and be virtuous, even it it kills them from starvation because they could not find any work other than the streets.

by Anonymousreply 44902/19/2013

It's interesting to think that the two babies who were recently born could still be alive today. (Obviously none of the other characters could be.)

by Anonymousreply 45002/19/2013

In fact, they ARE still alive!

Here's 892 year old Sybil Branson, wearing a cherished family heirloom passed down from her Grammy Cora.

by Anonymousreply 45102/19/2013

And here's 91 year old Lord Matthew Crawley Jr., on vacation in Capri.

by Anonymousreply 45202/19/2013

Damn! Junior's hung

by Anonymousreply 45302/19/2013

I've thought that too, r450. We watch DA and it seems so distant in time, but Sybil/Branson's and Mary/Matthew's children could very well still be alive in 2013, at age 91 or whatever it would be. I wonder when Downton finally wraps if we will get a flash-forward to see how all of the other characters eventually died. Obviously, they would all be long-dead by now. If Lady Mary and Lady Ethel each made it to their late 90's or 100, they would have lasted into the 1990s.

by Anonymousreply 45402/19/2013

[quote] I wonder when Downton finally wraps if we will get a flash-forward to see how all of the other characters eventually died.

This isn't Six Feet Under, dear.

by Anonymousreply 45502/19/2013

Lady Ethel? Branson was bad enough, but surely that whore isn't going to rise above her station as well?

by Anonymousreply 45602/19/2013

Lisa W's finally discovered Downton Abbey

[quote] Just finished season 1 of Downton Abbey & completely hooked. I feel sorry for Edith. My favorite character is Mr. Bates. Who is yours?

by Anonymousreply 45702/19/2013

r455, I have a feeling we're going to see what eventually happens to the characters at the end of the series. Not in the way SFU did it, but somehow. This, coincidentally, is how Matthew Weiner has confirmed that Mad Men is going to end. It's kind of de rigeur for period pieces now.

by Anonymousreply 45802/19/2013

What they didn't tell us about Ethel is that shortly after leaving Isobel Crawley's employ, she boarded a tramp steamer to America (fitting!) and took up residence at the Priscilla Hotel for Single Young Ladies.

She disappeared after playing a rousing chorus of "Looking At The World Through Rose Colored Glasses" on her ukulele and was presumably kidnapped and sold into White slavery, never to be seen or heard from again.

by Anonymousreply 45902/19/2013

Meh. You can do better, r459.

by Anonymousreply 46002/19/2013

What I loved about Rob James Collier aside from how hot he is, is that he's hungry. You can tell in his interviews he is so damned happy to be part of this ensemble, and happy to finally get recognized.

He wants to work, and get better roles, and it shows. Hopefully, this will establish him and he knows it. He is going to take full advantage of whatever opportunities he can create for himself. But he doesn't come across as crass or arrogant. I see the same bubbly enthusiasm in the girl who plays Daisy.

I love RJC's enthusiasm and his humor. Dan Stevens, OTOH seems very blase', and you get the impression there are better things he could be doing with his time, but he favors us. And he is just as nice as can be, too.

by Anonymousreply 46102/19/2013

R461, you need to back off from the celebrities, please. Stand behind the barricade. They're not really your friends.

by Anonymousreply 46202/19/2013

" I wipe back to front! "

by Anonymousreply 46302/19/2013

[quote]Lisa W's finally discovered Downton Abbey

Sigh, you're always Janie-come-lately once you divorce your gay husband.

by Anonymousreply 46402/20/2013

Finally, the real explanation:

by Anonymousreply 46502/20/2013

How do we know they were running on electricity? Maybe they were still being hand-cranked or however they ran in the days before electrification.

by Anonymousreply 46602/20/2013

Did they have generators in those days? They had fossil fuel cars, maybe they had generators.

by Anonymousreply 46702/20/2013

Oh please don't let Early 20th Century Electric Carrousels turn into the next Aristocratic Jews/Norwegian Catholics debacle. I beg of you!

by Anonymousreply 46802/20/2013

Touring Carnivals with electric generators running the midway rides became the fashion after the 1893 Chicago World's Fair. They were quite common by the 1920s.

by Anonymousreply 46902/20/2013

The ratings for the season finale set some kind of record.

by Anonymousreply 47002/20/2013

For those of you that don't absolutely hate Mr Bates, and you are in the NY/LI/NJ area, 'Lark Rise to Candleford' is playing on WLIW. Brendan Coyle plays the part of the father of the young woman who, so far, is the main protagonist. They are up to Episode 3 of series 1, but the first two episodes are available on their website. It is on tonight, just before EastEnders. It is a delightful series, and I highly recommend it.

by Anonymousreply 47102/20/2013

I missed the part where Matthew died and I'm kind of glad I did. I hope they won't make much of it in the next season. Actually, I would have rather they just switched actors, rather then having killing him off.

by Anonymousreply 47202/20/2013

They've already got an actor called Tom Ellis lined up as Mary's next interest. He's cute.

Fellowes has said it picks up six months after Matthew's death. I wish it didn't. I'd like to see them all lose their shit. Sybil's death was all kinds of tortured awesome.

by Anonymousreply 47302/20/2013

r472 - repeated interviews, both by the producers as well as Julian Fellows, indicate that next season is all about Mary's journey of growth and adaptation.

And in one of the links posted here, Fellows indicates that Series 4 will start a few months later, sparing us initial melodramatic tears and scenery chewing of immediate nature (I mean who could do better than Leech/Branson did with Sybil? - my heart already broke there), and picking up right at the mourning and restoration phase.

by Anonymousreply 47402/20/2013

[quote] For those of you that don't absolutely hate Mr Bates, and you are in the NY/LI/NJ area, 'Lark Rise to Candleford' is playing on WLIW.

Series 1-3 are available on Amazon Prime.

by Anonymousreply 47502/20/2013

Cherries so red, strawberries ripe-

At home, of course, they'll be storming.

Never mind the abuse, you've got a good excuse,

You've been to Covent Garden in the morning!

by Anonymousreply 47602/20/2013

[quote]I missed the part where Matthew died and I'm kind of glad I did.

It was so clumsily handled that it ended up being oddly unemotional and almost funny. When the auto accident was looming, all I could think about was that there was no way they were going to show a crash of the expensive vintage vehicles, and wondered how they would stage the aftermath without showing any crumpled cars.

It ended with a horrid ultra-closeup on Matthew's face with a thick blob of the fakest fake blood that ever faked oozing down his face. It almost seemed like a big "fuck you" from Fellows to Dan Stevens.

by Anonymousreply 47702/20/2013

All three seasons are also available for free on the WLIW website. I just mentioned episodes one and two for those who want to catch up.

by Anonymousreply 47802/20/2013

Nothing could be worse than the "fuck you" Michael Pitt got from Boardwalk Empire when he was fired for being an unmitigated douche on set. After his character Jimmy was shot to death they actually filmed a shot of his body being dragged by a car in the pounding rain. No body double for Mr. Pitt. And they never intended on using that shot in the finished product.

by Anonymousreply 47902/20/2013

Tom Ellis ... mmmm, yum.

by Anonymousreply 48002/20/2013

re about season 4 being about Mary's growth. I watched the first season, and then no episode until the 3 season finale. Mary did not seem like she has grown at all. I somehow have a feeling season 4 will be the same. An episode where she appears to have grown, and then be just as shallow and unlikable the next episode as if she never learned her lesson.

by Anonymousreply 48102/20/2013

If Tom Ellis were brought on as Lady Mary's new love interest I'd love it if he ended up as Thomas'.

by Anonymousreply 48202/20/2013

This show has too many Toms.

by Anonymousreply 48302/20/2013

Soap opera writing is easy. There is a huge audience out there that will watch anything. Look at these cable channels and the shows they produce that people watch. Pawn shop owners, animal hoarders, adults pimping their sexily-made-up toddlers onstage, fake Amish drama, people who bid on the contents of storage units. People will literally watch anything that moves on TV.

Soap opera audiences aren't looking for realism. They're looking to watch the same characters for years and years and years. They want television companionship from familiar characters. They'll go along with Character A being a sweetheart who suddenly turns bad. After a few months of being bad, Character A suddenly goes back to being a sweetheart again. That's fine with the audience.

Evil twins abound. In fact, the very term "evil twin" comes from soap operas and comic books.

Amnesia,

Temporary paralysis

Murder trials

False imprisonment

Split personality

Unclear paternity

Surprise adoption/Identity ("I'm not really your mother/father/grandmother/sister...")

Prostitution

Person thought to be dead returns, looking nothing like his or her old self

Babies, babies, babies!

Infertility which comes and goes ("You'll never be able to have children" "I'm pregnant!")

Constant going back and forth from being a warm, trustworthy person to being a vain disloyal betrayer

Soap opera audiences expect this kind of thing and fully welcome it, so long as their "stories" continue

If Fellowes and company wish it, they could go on for years with DA. Mary's son could age 30 years in a span of 4 years and Mary will look barely older than the first day the series aired and the audience won't care.

by Anonymousreply 48402/20/2013

How 'bout this, R482?

Thomas fluffs Tom Ellis' pillows... if you know what I mean.

by Anonymousreply 48502/21/2013

Musky nutsack alert!

by Anonymousreply 48602/21/2013

And I just saw Shakespeare in Love again, and Carson plays the nurse and is called a goat by Ben Affleck after the famous line "That woman...is a woman!"

by Anonymousreply 48702/21/2013

I thought the whole Mary having an operation to be able to get pregnant was odd. Like it was just thrown in there without much exploration. What was wrong with her and did they ever really explore her and Matthew's infertility problems? It's like they kind of thought about a story arc and decided to drop it suddenly.

by Anonymousreply 48802/21/2013

Yeah, R488, and why was Matthew assuming the problem could be his? He was no longer paralyzed, so he could definitely get it up. How could he think his earlier paralysis would have anything to do with his sperm count?

I sometimes think the writers of this show are 12 year old's with limited understanding of how the world actually works. Don't they bother to consult experts?

by Anonymousreply 48902/21/2013

More likely, R489, they are writing for CHARACTERS who in that time had little knowledge of how the world (or the human body, especially with reproductive issues) worked.

by Anonymousreply 49002/21/2013

from an interview with Julian Fellowes

[quote]Q.

Another story line from this season dealt with the household learning that the servant Thomas is gay. Had you decided that about him from the time you created the character? A.

He was always going to be gay. I don’t know about in America, but here, there are so many people under 40 who were hardly aware of the fact that it was actually illegal until the 1960s. Perfectly normal men and women were risking prison by making a pass at someone. Their whole life was lived in fear, and ruin and humiliation and career after career would be smacked down. I think it’s useful to remind people that many things that they take for granted, are, in terms of our history, comparatively new. But I also felt it was believable that someone living under that pressure would be quite snippy and ungenerous and untrusting. But once you understood what he was up against, you’d forgive quite a lot of that. I like to write characters where you change your mind, without them becoming different people. Q.

The reactions from the others in the house, particularly those who disapprove so vehemently, make you see them in a new light, too. A.

Well, I think it’s a mistake to give people modern attitudes if you want them to remain sympathetic, because I think the audience picks up on that. If Carson had said, “Oh, yes, I think it’s absolutely fine,” that’s a 2013 response. My parents didn’t have any prejudice about this at all, actually. In fact, my brother’s godfather was gay, quite publicly, which in the 50s was pretty wild. This was a good friend of my father’s. He was liberal. It didn’t bother him if people were homosexual. But we can forget how we were ringed in with these prejudices until really quite recently.

by Anonymousreply 49102/21/2013

Apparently four is possibly Julian's final, though the show will carry on (perhaps Josh Safran will be free to work his magic?). So he's promising this will be super excellent!

Fellowes is developing West of Downton for NBC. It's called the Gilded Age. Maybe Debra Missing could play a part. She'll be looking for work and heaven knows she's got 1890s bearing hips.

by Anonymousreply 49202/21/2013

I'm a fan of this show, but R484 still nailed it. I don't get into soaps usually but I started watching this one because of all the acclaim and now it's like crack to me. I finally realized what a soap it really is after the season two storyline where the original heir of Downton returns with a newly scarred face after having had amnesia for years after actually surviving the Titanic, despite the family's assumption that he died. That was just TOO much.

It's definitely not a show that makes me think, such as, say, Breaking Bad. It's a soap with better sets and costumes and an interesting historical background. Still like it, though!

by Anonymousreply 49302/21/2013

I can't even remember why the scarred Titanic survivor/heir left DA. Why and where did he go? How was that resolved? Was it resolved?

by Anonymousreply 49402/21/2013

r493, he was a Canadian Fraud.

by Anonymousreply 49502/21/2013

He took off of his own accord with an ambiguous note to Edith. He was a fake, I think. It was 1918-19... he'd 'sunk' four years prior... low odds an amnesia patient would actually emerge from trauma into that state without his English accent, whether he wound up in Canada or not. That was a particularly lame ass storyline.

by Anonymousreply 49602/21/2013

I am reading the first season scripts... Fellowes notes are really interesting.

by Anonymousreply 49702/21/2013

[quote] I watched the first season, and then no episode until the 3 season finale. Mary did not seem like she has grown at all. I somehow have a feeling season 4 will be the same. An episode where she appears to have grown, and then be just as shallow and unlikable the next episode as if she never learned her lesson.

Perhaps it is the writer who needs to grow. These characters and their "growth" or lack thereof may simply be a reflection of the writer.

I guess we'll have to wait until Season 5.

by Anonymousreply 49802/21/2013

I'd offer this alternative to the lack of growth complaints: people generally are who they are, most of their lives. You may ebb and flow but generally your personality is set.

I like Mary, a lot. She's a great blend between traditionalist and pragmatist.

by Anonymousreply 49902/21/2013

by Anonymousreply 50002/21/2013

Mary has always been about Mary. Mrs. Hughes sees it. Carson is blind to it because he gets all moist when he sees her.

by Anonymousreply 50102/21/2013

Tom Ellis won't be joining Downton Abbey-he's just signed to do an ABC pilot called Gothica.

by Anonymousreply 50202/22/2013

I would like Mary a lot more if only she wasn't such a cunt to Edith. Edith is already in a disadvantaged position being the less attractive and charismatic sister, but Mary still has to kick her when she's down over and over again just to reassert her own sense of superiority. When Sybil died and Edith asked if they could get along from then on, and Mary said no, that was just the absolute height of cuntiness.

by Anonymousreply 50302/22/2013

But my response was truthful, R503. You must allow me that.

And please note how much prettier I look in full mourning dress than Edith.

by Anonymousreply 50402/22/2013

Downtown series 4 is shooting now. Aside from the pilot, Gothica - assuming it gets picked up - wont start shooting till July, and by that time Downton will have finished for the year. Ellis could do both.

by Anonymousreply 50502/22/2013

ITA @ R503

by Anonymousreply 50602/22/2013

So, who is driving them around now that the chauffer has moved up in the world?

by Anonymousreply 50702/22/2013

I think the actress playing Lady Mary is superb. She really is the central character--as much as her father. Her growth as a character is very subtle; small shifts in attitudes and values. Harder to play than the more flamboyant characters in the series and she does it well. You can't complain about it all being just a soap opera on the one hand and then complain at the same time that there aren't dramatic changes in characters from episode to episode.

Speaking of subtle, rich characters --shameful that Jim Carter (Carson) and Phylis Logan (Mrs. Hughes) are ignored at Emmy and Golden Globe time. They are giving astoundingly good performances and have from the beginning of the series. Both roles are not easy to do well and still win the affections of the viewers. I love them both in this series.

by Anonymousreply 50802/22/2013

Another cheer for Phyllis Logan as Mrs. Hughes. Watching her put Carson in his place is so much because she's so sly.

by Anonymousreply 50902/22/2013

R508 what a bizarre post. What are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 51002/22/2013

Ellis would NOT be allowed to do both, R505. Once he signs his 7 year contract with ABC it's ironclad.

by Anonymousreply 51102/22/2013

R511

PPSM imagines himself to be the subject of many posters and even the webmaster's musings. His posts at one time were amusing. Currently he is quite strange, paranoid and hostile.

by Anonymousreply 51202/22/2013

paranoid

by Anonymousreply 51302/22/2013

I like Mary as a character, she's determined, has willpower, and is fully aware of how people perceive her, but doesn't have any fucks to give. A bad bitch.

by Anonymousreply 51402/22/2013

Mary acts that way only because she's the Julie of her generation.

by Anonymousreply 51502/22/2013

For those familiar with Upstairs, Downstairs did that long-running series see a lot of cast changes over the years.....major characters dying or leaving for various reasons? Were there cliff-hangers at the end of each season?

by Anonymousreply 51602/22/2013

Totally agree with R509... it's too simple just to say Mary's a bitch. She's one of - maybe the only - truly complex and well developed characters on Downton.

[quote]Edith is already in a disadvantaged position being the less attractive and charismatic sister, but Mary still has to kick her when she's down over and over again just to reassert her own sense of superiority.

I'd agree a little but for one thing: Edith writing the Pamuk letter to the Turkish ambassador. If someone did something like that, on some level you'd never forgive them. I'm sure part of Mary's relationship with her sister remains colored by that. Plus, Mary does like winding up Edith just because she can.

by Anonymousreply 51702/22/2013

Yes, there were deaths on U/D. It ended rather sadly, too.

The master/servant relationship was more realistic on U/D as were the accents of the servants. Anna and Bates speak too properly.

The downstairs staff ratio was more realistic, too. At a place like Downton Abbey, there were far more servants than depicted in the show. On U/D, it was a London townhouse, so the number of servants was more sensible.

by Anonymousreply 51802/22/2013

R512 doesn't know what he's talking about. You're not signed to an ironclad 7 year contract to do a pilot. They have an option on your services if they go to series with it, but if it goes to series, it doesn't conflict with Downton, which will be finished by the time series shooting starts.

And even actors under "ironclad contracts" work on other things during hiatus - all the time.

by Anonymousreply 51902/22/2013

Wrong, R520. Everyone who signs a contract as a regular on a network pilot signs for SEVEN YEARS. They don't sign it AFTER the pilot gets sold, they sign it BEFORE. You obviously don't know shit about performers' contracts.

by Anonymousreply 52002/22/2013

I hope Daisy finds happiness. I can see her at the fair selling her delicious jellies and jams behind a tablecloth covered table bantering with the locals.

by Anonymousreply 52102/23/2013

It looks sometimes like there are more servants running around in the background R519. I think the ones you see are just the ones they focus on. What I don't get are why you never see any groundskeepers or stable workers. A place that size would have groundskeepers out all over the place.

by Anonymousreply 52202/23/2013

[quote]why was Matthew assuming the problem could be his? He was no longer paralyzed, so he could definitely get it up. How could he think his earlier paralysis would have anything to do with his sperm count?

It's the 1920's, the guy had an injury in the plumbing department, of course it would be common sense to think the pipes could be damaged.

by Anonymousreply 52302/23/2013

He didn't have an injury in the plumbing, R524. It was in his back. Bruised spinal nerves.

by Anonymousreply 52402/23/2013

No r525. Matthew felt nothing "down there" because of his bruised spinal nerves. He made that pretty clear to his fiancee Lavinia (was that her name?) and Lady Mary and just about anyone else who'd listen.

Of course, it was logical for him to think his sperm might be awry even though he'd regained his erectile functions.

by Anonymousreply 52502/23/2013

I tried my best. I even had young Thomas give it a try. But nothing could make Mr. Crawley's todger alert.

by Anonymousreply 52602/23/2013

What about "Master" Bates?

by Anonymousreply 52702/23/2013

OK you ditzy queens, who else noticed that delicious bulge in Tom Branson's trousers on the final episode of DA III? He was well and truly packed in those tight trousers.

Mama's mussy must have been in heavy flow when she saw that! And it's on again tonight!

by Anonymousreply 52802/23/2013

Allen Leech is just lovely.

by Anonymousreply 52902/23/2013

Bar photoshop of this guy, r530. But thanks for trying!

by Anonymousreply 53002/23/2013

So I guess we're done here until rumors start flying about casting and storylines for Season 4?

by Anonymousreply 53102/24/2013

Well r532, season 4 has just started filming so don't lock the door quite yet.

by Anonymousreply 53202/24/2013

There is still a chance that Thomas and Jimmy will explore each other's secret garden...

by Anonymousreply 53302/24/2013

R522, somone in PBS is probably trying to come up with a line of Daisy's Jams and Jellies they can sell during pledge breaks.

by Anonymousreply 53402/24/2013

I would love a Real Housewives of Hampshire with O'Brien.

by Anonymousreply 53502/24/2013

Come on, Folks, let's see if we can get this thread up to 600!

by Anonymousreply 53602/24/2013

None of the Downton staff is particularly interested in tasting Daisy's delicious jam. Or jelly, R535.

by Anonymousreply 53702/24/2013

I remember that during the run of the original Upstairs, Downstairs there was a line of Mrs. Bridges brand foods.

by Anonymousreply 53802/24/2013

[quote] It looks sometimes like there are more servants running around in the background

I've never, ever seen a servant inside downton abbey other than the ones we know. I've never caught a fleeting glimpse of an unidentified footman. I've never seen a maid other than Anna, Gwen, O'Brien, Ethel, the widow who caught the earl's eye and the two maids hired in the last two episodes. I've only seen Daisy, Mrs Patmore, Ivy and occasionally the recently departed Mrs Byrd doing cooking chores.

They'd also need more than one chauffeur. They've got the earl, Eluzabeth McGowan, Mary, Matthew and Edith living inside the house. And the old bat dowager needs rides, too and from the abbey. She never mentions a chauffeur of her own.

That place would need at least 10 footmen and a dozen maids. It's as big as a city block.

by Anonymousreply 53902/24/2013

During one of the balls at Downton Abbey, I saw other servants whirling around the dance floor.

by Anonymousreply 54002/24/2013

I wonder if Siobhan Finneran (have I got the name right?) who plays O'Brien doesn't get along so well with the rest of the cast?

Surely her character is a favorite with audiences everywhere but she doesn't ever seem to get to come to the US on those press junkets the cast often does.

by Anonymousreply 54102/24/2013

We're all Irish, and Julian Fellows has never given us proper names.

Or lines.

by Anonymousreply 54202/24/2013

Will any of the Downton actors be presenting at the Oscars or at least do the Red Carpet tonight?

There's a lot more love for them than most of the Oscar-nominated actors this year.

by Anonymousreply 54302/24/2013

We've also seen some servant extras during some of the wedding prep business. I think they were rolling up a big rug.

by Anonymousreply 54402/24/2013

[quote]I've never, ever seen a servant inside downton abbey other than the ones we know.

C'mon, pay attention, when two servants are talking in the hall, there are always extras down the hallway.

by Anonymousreply 54502/24/2013

One of those articles said that Fellowes couldn't get Shirley MacLaine to agree to come back for Season Four. I wonder if that's true, or if they'd just had enough of her craziness?

by Anonymousreply 54602/24/2013

Did Martha Levinson ever have a farewell to the UK for now scene? Wasn't she going to come back to the Abbey before sailing back to America?

by Anonymousreply 54702/24/2013

What would be the point of Shirley McLaine coming back? Hers was an utterly forgettable and useless character

by Anonymousreply 54802/24/2013

I couldn't agree more r549, yet I thought Shirl left the estate threatening to return before the season was over.

by Anonymousreply 54902/24/2013

[quote]Will any of the Downton actors be presenting at the Oscars or at least do the Red Carpet tonight?

Do you understand that the Oscars are about movies, not television?

by Anonymousreply 55002/25/2013

Tom Ellis said in an interview today that he won't be joining the cast of Downton Abbey.

by Anonymousreply 55102/25/2013

Here's the link about Tom Ellis.

by Anonymousreply 55202/25/2013

Too bad. He's so sexy.

by Anonymousreply 55302/26/2013

We gotta hit 600. And now we should cause the Oscar threads should be winding down(ton Abbey).

by Anonymousreply 55402/26/2013

I finally watched this series within 4 days after putting it off for three years. Somehow I also managed to avoid all spoilers, although I did google something Downton Abbey when I was on the second season and I unfortunately saw "I HAD to kill Matthew Crawley, says Downton creator." Anyhow, I loved the show but the second season had a lot of dopey aspects, mostly to do with meltyfaced Canadian Patrick Crawley. WTF was that?

by Anonymousreply 55502/26/2013

So they're adding a black character for next season? I assume he's for Rose.

by Anonymousreply 55602/26/2013

I thought as much, R557, but as desperation sets in God knows what Edith might do. After all, one of the best ways to keep up appearances is simply not to get caught in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 55702/26/2013

Fellowes screwed up with the Patrick Crawley story. That could have been a long story arc that could have had serious repercussions for all involved, creating new opportunities for story. In fact, it could have been the story arc for series 4. But it was a singular moment fumble and fall (resulting in a big FAIL).

Likewise, Fellowes screwed up the character of Vera Bates. An intriguing actress that could have left an indelible long-lasting mark on the show was reduced to a silly plot device. Vera could have joined the ranks of servants and made life a living hell for the downstairs world until finally someone offed her in a decent murder mystery.

The second series is indeed DA's biggest blunder.

by Anonymousreply 55802/26/2013

Fellowes, I think, cannot write both well and quickly.

by Anonymousreply 55902/26/2013

Does anyone remember that strange scene in the second season when Vera went to that publisher boyfriend of Mary's and formed some kind of alliance with him? I thought for sure that it was going to be revealed that he murdered Vera, but that was completely forgotten and totally inconsequential to the story. Instead, Vera killed herself in a halo of poisoned pastry? None of it made any sense.

by Anonymousreply 56002/26/2013

The publisher scene made perfect sense. He bought Vera off. He threatened her with ruin if she then tried to sell her story elsewhere. He did it to tighten his grip on Mary Crawley.

by Anonymousreply 56102/26/2013

Where can the Bates and Anna story possibly go in Season Four now that he's released from prison? Will she have a baby too?

by Anonymousreply 56202/27/2013

Bates and Anna have son named Norman then move to America and open a motel.

by Anonymousreply 56302/27/2013

I think they should write a storyline for an old schoolchum of Violet's who has become the Pope, then retires in scandal. Now, as the Dowager Pope, he returns to Downton to visit his old friend. Even though they were divided by religion, they were best girlfriends.

by Anonymousreply 56402/27/2013

Why did Shirley MacLaine just not work as Martha? Was it the writing, or was it her? Who would have been a better Martha? Helen Mirren doing one of her impeccable American accents? Too young?

What late 70s-ish American actress could have played it with more panache? Ellen Burstyn? Ann-Margret? Jane Fonda? Florence Henderson? Angie Lansbury with HER impeccable American accent?

by Anonymousreply 56502/27/2013

Who is Patrick Crawley? Is he the Titanic survivor?

by Anonymousreply 56602/27/2013

R566. The Lady Bunny.

by Anonymousreply 56702/27/2013

Martha was badly written. She did not advance the story and she had variations of only two lines: you do it wrong here, we do better there.

by Anonymousreply 56802/27/2013

Not sure why Shirley MacLaine was so awful. I tend to think it was a combination of terrible writing and worse acting. I wondered if she had been told her character was some sort of parody, which might explain why she played it the way she did.

The main thing I felt watching her scenes was acute embarrassment for her.

by Anonymousreply 56902/27/2013

[quote]I think they should write a storyline for an old schoolchum of Violet's who has become the Pope, then retires in scandal. Now, as the Dowager Pope, he returns to Downton to visit his old friend. Even though they were divided by religion, they were best girlfriends.

I can't imagine Violet having an old friend who was Catholic, let alone German.

by Anonymousreply 57002/27/2013

I beg your patdon, r571. The Dutchess of Norfolk is a great friend of mine!

by Anonymousreply 57102/27/2013

Agree, R569. They wasted that character and there are lots of things they could have done with Martha instead of focusing on the shop worn yank vs brit meme. They could have developed some tension with Cora or the granddaughters or with Robert. Instead they had Martha duke it out with Violet. But we already have the on-going old biddy cage match with Violet vs Isabelle.

by Anonymousreply 57202/27/2013

[quote]I beg your patdon, [R571]. The Dowager Duchess* of Norfolk is a great friend of mine!

And she's more Catholic than the Pope.

*incorrect title and spelling corrected, but we won't go on about it.

by Anonymousreply 57302/27/2013

But the fun of Martha's visit was watching the Brits beg for her money. They were yammering on about tradition and how Americans are so horrid but, when they were broke and needed some more money, they started sucking up like mad. Watching Mary and Violet go after her money like the desperate whores they were was so amusing. So watching Shirley say basically, "Bailed you out once, can't do it a second time" was fun.

Not that they weren't ever so tasteful desperate whores, of course!!

by Anonymousreply 57402/28/2013

Did Rob Collier-James have any other film or TV rojects lined up between seasons? I guess by now he's already tied up shooting Season 4?

by Anonymousreply 57502/28/2013

Love DA but I thought the whole Bates in prison was too long and drawn out. Boring. Plus why would Vera kill herself with arsenic? It's a horrible way to die and she would know it. They dropped the ball on that one.

by Anonymousreply 57602/28/2013

Not only was the entire Bates murder trial a disappointment on every level but they've left his character and Anna no where to go but a happy boring ending.

by Anonymousreply 57702/28/2013

If they're going to have a black character I assume that means it's a storyline involving Rose of the Jazz Club scene and that takes them to London more often. Always a bad sign, leaving what worked.

I read today they're three weeks in to filming the new season.

by Anonymousreply 57802/28/2013

Will Penelope Wilton be given the heave-ho now that Matthew is dead?

Maybe Mrs. Crawley will now change her mind and marry that handsome old doctor?

by Anonymousreply 57902/28/2013

I don't know why they would toss her. I can't see why she'd go. She'll probably stay around to see that Matthew Jr. is brought up right.

by Anonymousreply 58002/28/2013

Just wanted to mention this for those of us who are having withdrawal symptoms. I joined Amazon Prime, and discovered I can watch The Forsyth Saga with the glorious Rupert Graves, for free, and last night I watched part I of Birdsong, and Eddie Redmayne is very attractive. Very attractive.

by Anonymousreply 58103/01/2013

Filming underway... all in black.

by Anonymousreply 58203/01/2013

Oh no! The evil O'Brien isn't returning for season 4. Now the question is, how to do it? I think they should let Bates and Mr. Barrow take her out in the woods and beat her to death, and then Bates can bugger Mr. Barrow (you know he wants to after having to bed that mousy little wife of his every night).

by Anonymousreply 58303/01/2013

She probably went to serve with Rose's parents in the foreign service.

by Anonymousreply 58403/01/2013

Ah, R585, I'm sure you're right. Excellent theory and the only one that would make sense. She'll be stuck in that filthy heat doing up Lady Canarvan's hair day after day and night after night and then they're eventually set upon by some bandits and brutally raped. Lovely.

by Anonymousreply 58503/01/2013

And her son, Alfred will announce that O'Brien was his mother.

by Anonymousreply 58603/01/2013

It's snot clear from that article whether it was her choice or she was not asked back.

by Anonymousreply 58703/01/2013

I have a hard time imagining she wasn't asked back. O'Brien rocked. I agree, she's gone off to Inja to set hair and shit water. Too bad, O'Brien was hilarious.

I hope they don't try to create O'Brien2.0. I think they should do a totally ditzy, incompetent lady's maid.

by Anonymousreply 58803/01/2013

Yes it was clear. It seemed she has been picked up for another role in The Syndicate and she was thru with playing O'Brien who was in her words, "A thoroughly despicable person."

I think they will say she's gone with Rose's mother, and this will leave open the door for her return if they wish it.

by Anonymousreply 58903/01/2013

[bold] Downton Abbey: the dashing aristocrats lining up to lift Lady Mary out of despair [/bold]

Two handsome young aristocrats will pay a visit to the stately home during series four, The Daily Telegraph can disclose, with producers dropping strong hints that one will attempt to mend Lady Mary’s broken heart.

Played by Tom Cullen and Julian Ovenden, the visitors are among a host of new characters, including an opera singer played by Dame Kiri Te Kanawa and an old school friend of the Dowager Countess, played by Dame Harriet Walter, who will feature in the new series scheduled for the autumn.

Filming began this week and rejoins the family six months after the funeral of Matthew Crawley. It will see his young widow struggling to come to terms with bringing up their baby son alone, as friends and family rally to lift her spirits.

Cullen, 27, who was named most promising newcomer at the British Independent Film Awards in 2011, will play Lord Gillingham, an old family friend whose appearance could raise a smile from the face of the cynical Lady Mary.

by Anonymousreply 59003/01/2013

I like Harriet Walter. She played Queen Adelaide in The Young Victoria and the head cop in Law & Order:UK. I'm surprised, though, she's old enough to play a contemporary of the Dowager. Judi Dench would have been hilarious but then I've always thought if Maggie pops it or quits they're keeping Dench in reserve to fill the tart tongued granny part with Violet's barely younger just as tart tongued sister.

by Anonymousreply 59103/01/2013

I say they bring in James Purefoy to ravish her. But then he decides he has a yen for Thomas. Downton could be orgy central if they handle this well.

by Anonymousreply 59203/01/2013

I like the way you think r593!

I hope they give O'Brien a more interesting exit story than just going quietly off to India to be yet another ladies maid. I wonder if Fellowes just doesn't like that actress?

by Anonymousreply 59303/01/2013

[quote]I like Harriet Walter. She played Queen Adelaide in The Young Victoria and the head cop in Law & Order:UK.

I like her too, r592. She was also perfect as Harriet Vane in the BBC's dramatization of Dorothy Sayers' Lord Peter Wimsey detective novels.

by Anonymousreply 59403/01/2013

I had no idea Harriet Walter had been made a Dame!

And yes, she's about 16 years younger than Maggie Smith. Walter is aging well, too - she's going to look like she's 25 years younger on screen.

by Anonymousreply 59503/01/2013

I think Thomas should replace O'Brien as the new lady's maid. Cora decides she's perfectly comfortable with Thomas because he's gay and has no interest in her lady parts.

by Anonymousreply 59603/01/2013

Wasn't she in Sense & Sensibility with Hugh Grant Kate Winslet & Emma Thompson? She played the evil sister-in-law?

by Anonymousreply 59703/01/2013

Maybe Julian Ovenden's character will get it on with Thomas? Ovenden was Jane Krakowski's boyfriend for a few years. I'd like to know how he landed his role in Darren Star's show Cashmere Mafia. I'm sure he shut his eyes and thought of England as Star chowed down.

by Anonymousreply 59803/01/2013

Well it looks like Shirls will be back after all!

by Anonymousreply 59903/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.