Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Home Schooling

What's up with that?

by Anonymousreply 4605/07/2013

Mostly fundie Christianity or an excuse for abusive parents to keep their abuse secret. A few legitimate homeschoolers but the majority are folks like the Duggars and other Dominionist nutjobs.

by Anonymousreply 102/19/2012

Also an excuse for helicopter parents to maintain control over their precious little ones.

by Anonymousreply 202/19/2012

In Florida, it is a way for funadmentalist Christians and arch-conservative Catholics to protect their children from the modern ideas of the public, private, and even Catholic schools.

by Anonymousreply 302/19/2012

Gotta brainwash a new generation of Jebus warriors OP.

by Anonymousreply 402/19/2012

Because state-certified public school teachers with accredited degrees in their subject areas can't teach for shit! Everybody knows kids get a better education from a 22-year-old hausfrau using stuff downloaded off the Internet and some old "Hooked on Phonics" cassettes.

by Anonymousreply 502/19/2012

'Cause I don't want no heathen public school teachers tellin' my boy that man on man action is okay.

by Anonymousreply 702/19/2012

Cause we all know that Adam and Eve lived among the dinosaurs and we don't want our little angels exposed to evolution, which was put out there by Satan to make us doubt.

by Anonymousreply 802/19/2012

A better question would be, what did you hope to accomplish with this thread, OP?

by Anonymousreply 902/19/2012

I'm as progressive as they come and my kid is going to Montessori school when he's younger and then he'll be homeschooled. If he wants to go to a public high school, fine. I don't want him indoctrinated any earlier. Public schools suck. I'm a "loony" for noticing.

by Anonymousreply 1002/19/2012

Among homeschooling parents, there is also a significant number of liberals who disagree with the increasingly religious control of the public schools and the overemphasis on standardized testing, to the exclusion of the arts and humanities. For these kids, and for kids with Asperger's, homeschooling is the way to go.

If I had a kid, I'd homeschool him or her, no question about it. I could do a far better job than those idiots at the public school. (My best friend was a middle school teacher, and I was a guest speaker a number of times; I was shocked at how inarticulate and unthinking the other teachers were.)

by Anonymousreply 1102/19/2012

R11, that's exactly my reasoning. The religious nuts on the school board and the idiots who teach. A friend teaches gifted students in one of the best (richest) public elementary schools and she's borderline retarded with a borderline personality to match.

Mix in all of the bullies and pervs (both teachers and students) that were part of my public school experience and you'll see why I don't want to put my kid through that.

by Anonymousreply 1202/19/2012

I'm with R10 and R11.

Have some of you people been in a public school lately? And the alternative is a parochial school, which isn't exactly welcoming of families like mine. No thanks.

If I had the money, a school like Wooster would be my choice. At around $30K a year though, it's not an option for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 1302/19/2012

Yes, R10/12, you certainly wouldn't want to expose your child to anything like bullying or potentential perverts in a relatively controlled environment like a school, when everybody knows they'll never be confronted with bullies or perverts in real life anyway. Not at work, not on the street corner, never in a mostly-empty train station or subway car. No reason they should learn that things like that exist, and maybe discuss coping mechanisms with you.

And I'm impressed with you self-esteem: you're personally going to provide your child with a top-notch education in every subject from civics to physics? How has the Nobel Prize committee managed to overlook you for all these years? And would you consider taking me on as a pupil?

by Anonymousreply 1402/19/2012

It's creating a subset of teens who will grow up with a terribly smug sense of self-absorption, a lack of skills in dealing with group situations, a lack of skills in reasoning and negotiation, a severe dearth of interpersonal normal behavior, along with being ignorant of a world-view.

And most of them won't even know what half of those words mean.

by Anonymousreply 1502/19/2012

[quote]Yes, [R10]/12, you certainly wouldn't want to expose your child to anything like bullying or potentential perverts in a relatively controlled environment like a school, when everybody knows they'll never be confronted with bullies or perverts in real life anyway. Not at work, not on the street corner, never in a mostly-empty train station or subway car.

There's a big difference between encountering those types of people as a child as opposed to as an adult.

While some homeschooled children have limited social interactions outside of their religious life, many belong to groups, clubs and sports teams in the community. Haven't you people heard of Little League or the Girl Scouts? Geesh.

My neighbor's kids are homeschooled. They're both sweet, polite, smart kids who are joy to be around. The daughter is in her freshman year at Brown.

Many of you are making a knee-jerk judgement about something you have very little information about.

by Anonymousreply 1602/19/2012

R15, as opposed to the mouthbreathing idiots who are churned out of public schools? It sounds like you're worried that home schooled kids won't be "well adjusted." Well adjusted is a term used in factories to describe all of the machine parts working properly. I'll be happy if my kid aspires to be more than just a cog in the machine.

by Anonymousreply 1702/19/2012

"something you have very little information about."

Maybe that's because this is a GAY GOSSIP website, not FRAUTASTIC for breeders and their pals.

by Anonymousreply 1802/19/2012

There can be a lot of good things about homeschooling. If parents know what they are doing and are willing to spend the time gathering resources, their kids can get a great education. Apparently it is booming among good families in ghettos who are concerned about how dangerous their schools are. There has been a huge rise in Black homeschooling for this reason.

The problem is that there is decreasing support for public schools which still have the potential for providing a good education. And the societal problem is that there are a lot of clueless parents whose kids would be in even bigger trouble if not for public education. What happens to those kids? Will they get the equivalent education to Black kids in the old segregated schools, which will increase the likelihood that they will stay in poverty.

by Anonymousreply 1902/19/2012

Well, r16, I have an Ivy-League education and two bright children, and I'm self-aware enough to realize that I cannot myself provide them with the educational resources of a decent school, let alone with the opportunity to interact with a variety of other children the same age. Navigating the social pitfalls of dealing with their peers and with a variety of teachers is perhaps the most important thing they'll learn at school; they can catch up on academic subjects as needed.

Yes, I acknowledge that for some parents, there are no good schools readily available. But how many of those parents are actually in a position to teach their children any better than even a mediocre school?

Let's fact it, the majority of home-schoolers don't want their children educated in anything other than the parents' own worldview, and I shudder to think what's going to happen when these kids have to start dealing with the real world (their own problem) and start voting (all of our problem).

by Anonymousreply 2002/19/2012

Just a Repuke technique for brainwashing the kids.

by Anonymousreply 2102/19/2012

[quote]There can be a lot of good things about homeschooling. If parents know what they are doing and are willing to spend the time gathering resources, their kids can get a great education.

It takes a remarkable effort to give homeschooled kids both the academics and the socialization; some people could handle it, some can't.

I've seen examples of both: a kid I met in an after school program I supervised whose "homeschooling" was basically Bible Study and watching documentaries.

On the other hand, I know a couple who have given their kids an amazing education (they both have advanced degrees, and rather than hiding things from their children, are putting them in a situation where they can explore).

In fact, I asked the mother recently what she intended to do when her youngest went to college, and she said she'd thought about...teaching. She has a gift for it, and would be an asset to a lot of schools.

by Anonymousreply 2202/19/2012

I think it's funny that anyone views parochial school as some kind of legit "alternative" to public schooling. I went to Catholic school for K-12, as did most of the kids in my area (and no, they didn't all go to my school - it was a very heavily Catholic area in a major city and there were Catholic schools all over the place). Outside of the religious education aspect, Catholic schools are just as heavily regulated by the same bureaucratic machine that runs the public schools in this country. The teachers are equally inept and/or just as big of sociopaths, and the approaches to teaching basic subjects are just as much of a joke. Parochial school is just public school with the added treat of ugly uniforms and Jesus bullshit being shoved down your throat daily.

by Anonymousreply 2302/19/2012

Home schooling is a way for religious fanatics (and occasionally, pedophiles and child abusers) to shield their children from a world they view as hostile. My sister used to be ultra-religious and therefore, she thought it'd be a good idea to home school her children. Unfortunately, my sister was never the best student and my nieces and nephews were at a disadvantage when they ended up attending public school. She's no longer a Holy roller, but the damage has been done.

Home schooling has its advantages when done right, but book smarts does nothing to obscure social retardation.

by Anonymousreply 2402/19/2012

"A friend teaches gifted students in one of the best (richest) public elementary schools and she's borderline retarded with a borderline personality to match. "

A public schoolchild will be exposed to bad teachers, no doubt, for a year or a term. A homeschool child is likely to have a bad teacher for K-12!

by Anonymousreply 2502/19/2012

I truly hope that your experience was different but my teachers were a string of either senile, bullying, perverted, apathetic, alcoholic, stupid, lazy and/or vapid individuals. I had exactly two really great teachers and even they had their moments of the above.

by Anonymousreply 2602/19/2012

What R26 said. Really, do some of you not remember your formative school years that well? Because I find it hard to believe that most of you consistently had highly competent teachers (or even halfway competent half the time). I'm NOT saying that homeschooling is always automatically a better solution, or that there aren't whackjob fundies who use it to shelter and indoctrinate their kids, or anything like that. All I'm saying is that it's a very poor argument against homeschooling to insinuate that kids are really missing out on this great and important experience by not going to a conventional school. They very likely aren't.

by Anonymousreply 2702/19/2012

I home schooled my daughter one year when she was in the sixth grade. I was working on my master's degree at the time, and I took her with me to my university five days a week. I gave her a week's worth of assignments on Monday. I taught her what she needed, and she did the reinforcing work on her own. I also had her working in math two grade levels above her own and reading literature that I taught to my high school freshmen. (I am a certified secondary teacher.)

This served several purposes. At 12, she learned that middle school is not life. She learned that in college there are all sorts of people with all sorts of styles and lifestyles who are accepted, happy and successful. She also learned to do her work independently. I pulled her out for that year to socialize her in the right way. Middle school is a time when girls get torn apart emotionally, and I just wanted her to glimpse the 'after now' and be a part of it.

It was the best decision I ever made. She is a success all the way around.

by Anonymousreply 2802/19/2012

Home Schooling is for racists, gun nuts and homophobes.

by Anonymousreply 3004/11/2013

OP=DeAndre Cole

by Anonymousreply 3104/11/2013

I generally assume that homeschoolers are right wing fanatics, but I did run across a woman who home schooled her daughter, because the kid needed attention the school district wasn't willing to provide.

by Anonymousreply 3204/11/2013

I truly don't understand what people think kids are missing by not going to the sausage factory that is a public school. They have gotten much worse since you've had any experience with them.

Let the kids learn about things that interest them instead of just memorizing the dates that America or Europe was awesome.

by Anonymousreply 3304/11/2013

My dad was an abusive alcoholic who would "threaten" to pull me and my brothers out of public school to homeschool us. He went as far as buying a few desks that he set up in the basement but nothing ever came of it. Thank god he was too lazy to follow through.

I think of my dad when I hear about home schooling--how many of those kids are being terrorized 24/7? For a lot of kids all over the world, school is a respite from the hell of home life.

by Anonymousreply 3404/11/2013

R33, in general I assume that school-schooling is better than homes-schooling, just because it exposes a child to more teachers and more people.

Getting your entire education from one person sucks, especially if that person is controlling, mentally ill, or poorly educated themselves. Think of all those dominionist families where the mother is expected to home-school the kids, even though she's never been allowed to go to college or to learn anything outside the dominionist party line.

Okay, that's a worst-case scenario, but in order to grow kids desperately need to experience life outside the family, getting to know other people and other points of view is an education in itself. That's true even when the parents are kind and sane, and not all parents are kind or sane.

by Anonymousreply 3504/11/2013

I played hookey this week when the weather hit 70 degrees and met a mom who was out at the beach with her kids - a teenage girl adopted from Guatemala and an eight year old boy adopted from China - and their dog. She homeschools them and they were having "gym class," flying kites and racing the dog up and down the beach. They were getting plenty of exercise, fresh air, and were having a great time. The kids were lovely and very sociable. The mom told me she wasn't happy with the education they were getting, the schedule they had to keep and the basic overall philosophy of the public school, so she decided to home school them. The kids are involved with sports and programs at the Boys & Girls club, so it's not like they are isolated. This woman also works 3 - 5 nights per week as a nurse, so she's really got her plate full. It made me reconsider my stance on home schooling, that it's just the Flat Earth society engaging in it.

by Anonymousreply 3604/11/2013

I went to public schools my entire life. I was tested into the GATE program and so, my education was different than the average student. In high school, most of my courses were Honors level. I was actively involved in the marching band, in softball, in drama, etc. I wouldn't trade that experience (good and bad) for homeschooling. I made some life long friendships and have more fond memories than bad ones. The only folks I've ever known who homeschool are religious nut jobs afraid of exposing their kid to icky sex stuff or homos. Whatever. Their kids usually are the ones that get into the most trouble. The most religious girl I knew in HS (Father was a pastor) was giving blow jobs in the practice rooms of the band room.

by Anonymousreply 3704/11/2013

Home School is the Tea Party base.

Surf up the California Christian Home School (CHEA). The government has been trying to shut them down in the courts for years now. They people are hardcore anti-gay and getting worse. The spousal abuse rates are so high they actually created separate foundation to address it.

(You may notice an extreme lack of people of color too.)

America can't survive nutcase orgs like CHEA in the 21sr century. They have become home terrorist training camps.

by Anonymousreply 3805/03/2013

The kids got shot at the regular schools so it kind of sounds like a good idea.

by Anonymousreply 3905/03/2013

Home Schooling has nothing to do with protecting kids it is about US Religious nutcases preventing their children from learning about the world and Science.

Home Schooling is Thought Control.

by Anonymousreply 4005/03/2013

Our schools and school board are covered in religious nuts. I'm considering homeschooling just to keep them from my kid.

by Anonymousreply 4105/03/2013

You are in the 1 percent R41. In most cases, like in Southern California, the public schools are not considered to be religious nutcases enough.

by Anonymousreply 4205/03/2013

If allowed, Xians would give out Physics Degrees to people who declared the universe 6000 years old.

by Anonymousreply 4305/03/2013

I am friends w/a yoga teacher- stay at home mom who wants to take her child out of school for home schooling. Not really a religious nut..She just thinks we can do a better job than the school. But she seems overprotective...

When my daughter was in dance - some of the teen girls were home schooled to spend more time practicing dance and it was obvious the girl had no special talent. So, again, not really a sane idea...

I raised two kids and I do not agree w/home schooling unless the school is truly unsafe. There is something to be said for a kid having to fend for themselves 8 hours/day...

by Anonymousreply 4405/06/2013

[quote]It's creating a subset of teens who will grow up with a terribly smug sense of self-absorption, a lack of skills in dealing with group situations, a lack of skills in reasoning and negotiation, a severe dearth of interpersonal normal behavior, along with being ignorant of a world-view.

That'll happen anyway. It's not a subset.

by Anonymousreply 4505/06/2013

Homeschooling always leads to growups with social problems dealing with others. More benefits are taught in public school than just Science.

by Anonymousreply 4605/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.