Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Hour (BBC drama)

Basically it's the British "Mad Men"--but set in the world of television broadcasting in the 50s, with Romola Garai, Ben Whishaw, and the godlike Dominic West as television workers covering the Suez crisis. Great outfits and sets that look very accurate (although not done with the same amount of flair as "mad Men").

Has anyone else seen it?

by Anonymousreply 4502/13/2013

Yes, it was great. Is a new series starting soon in the UK?

by Anonymousreply 102/19/2012

Yes, there will be a second season, apparently. Don't think it's aired yet in the US (?), but you can get it on DVD.

by Anonymousreply 202/19/2012

Any gay subplots? Love the people in it.

by Anonymousreply 302/19/2012

R2- yes, it aired here on BBC America in the fall. I believe it's still available on tTime Watner cable On Demand service. Also available from Netflix. I liked it.

by Anonymousreply 402/19/2012

It's funny how Americans love these dramas like The Hour and Downton Abbey that most British viewers think are pretty mediocre. The Hour was pretty shit, actually, for the same reason The Iron Lady is shit - Abi Morgan's terrible writing.

You know what British dramas British people like? AMERICAN ones. Why? Because for the last decade or so, American drama has led the way with great dramas. I'm always surprised Americans aren't more proud of this.

by Anonymousreply 502/19/2012

The Brits have better costumes. When they're crap, you might know you're watching crap (like Downton Abbey) but at least you don't feel actively insulted while watching it.

by Anonymousreply 603/03/2012

[quote]You know what British dramas British people like? AMERICAN ones. Why? Because for the last decade or so, American drama has led the way with great dramas. I'm always surprised Americans aren't more proud of this.

We ARE very proud of them. Liking them doesn't mean we can't like your shows too sometimes.

No one anywhere on this thread said they liked British shows at the expense of liking American shows.

by Anonymousreply 703/03/2012

No one does period dramas (the costumes, the fabulous locations, the accents) like well-funded British productions.

We Americans have our own strengths.

by Anonymousreply 803/03/2012

Anyone watching this season ?

by Anonymousreply 912/09/2012

I love the hour and can't understand why it got such sniffy reviews for the first series. Second one seems to be getting better reviews, but personally i don't think it is as good.

Could watch and listen to Ben Whishaw for ever.

by Anonymousreply 1012/09/2012

I like the first season, though the workplace and the murder plot were a bit disconnected. Started watching season two, and I don't care much for Freddie's domestic life (maybe it's the French actress, who is the only one not giving a good performance).

The woman playing foreign affairs journalist is excellent. She has great chemistry with everyone.

I wasn't too crazy about Oona Castilla Chaplin at first. Her character was very one note, but she seems to have more to do in season two. The only thing is... she looks ethnic (I know she's of Chilean-American descent in real life) and she plays a British aristocrat.

I LOVE Ben Whishaw. A tiny man, but what a talent.

by Anonymousreply 1112/11/2012

The Hour is a bore. It lacks the pizzazz of Mad Men. Give Matt Wiener credit he might have been wrong on what religion Norwegians are BUT he's a great showrunner/creator/scriptwriter.

I'm as gay as they come but I would love to ravish Romola Garai. She's my straight crush. Gorgeous woman, great voice and a decent actress.

by Anonymousreply 1212/11/2012

R12, if you have Netflix or whatever see if they have a great little British film called Glorious 39. Stars Romola Garai and features Bill Nighy, David Tennant and Eddie Redmayne. And Juno Phillips. It's really good.

It was the British media that dubbed The Hour the "British Mad Men" not the BBC. It's just a British drama.

Though Oona Chaplin's character does seem to have borrowed a page from Betty Draper's book early on this season. Freddie's wife is also featured on AHS: Asylum this season, as that cute boy's asylum sidekick.

by Anonymousreply 1312/11/2012

[quote]he might have been wrong on what religion Norwegians are

Oh yes, that's been bothering all the rest of us for five years now.

by Anonymousreply 1412/11/2012

Mad Men v The Hour

Apples and pears.

1950s America - rich, physically untouched by WWII, economic powerhouse. Optimistic

1950s Britain - dark, bombed-out, economically exhausted. Post-imperial ennui.

by Anonymousreply 1512/11/2012

The Brits who watch it tonight: please report on Ep 5!

by Anonymousreply 1612/12/2012

R16, The Guardian has a live blog about The Hour. Look under TV & Radio.

by Anonymousreply 1712/12/2012

I know, R17, but thanks for the tip, anyway.

Is there going to be season 3?

by Anonymousreply 1812/12/2012

"Freddie's wife is also featured on AHS: Asylum this season, as that cute boy's asylum sidekick."

WOW! I didn't even recognize her. Funny what a haircut and make-up will do.

I really enjoy this show. Again, part of enjoying Mad Men for me is the "authentic look" of the show which American TV and movies almost never get right. But British TV and films do it right as a matter of course. Hell-- even skit comedy like That Mitchell and Webb look will do a period sketch and everything will look right.

Meanwhile: I just discovered Fresh Meat (late to the party) and am powering through the episodes. So much fun although the Scottish guy's accent is starting to grate on occassion.

by Anonymousreply 1912/12/2012

R14 you must have been more upset about that than the suicide,the cheating and January Jones' absolutely horrible acting.You must be from Bay Ridge, the home of tons of Italian American Lutherans,right?;)

R15 Get your time periods right. Mad Men happens in the 60s. The series is a backdrop for the enormous change that would happen during that time.The Hour is just such a bore. It's a retro show that has none of the spectacle and/or heart of Mad Men...not even close.

by Anonymousreply 2012/12/2012

British people love British drama, Downton Abbey is just as popular here.

It's made here and if we weren't watching it they wouldn't be making another series.

The Christmas special is the highlight of Christmas day.

Anyway is Ben Whishaw gay.

by Anonymousreply 2112/12/2012

[quote]Anyway is Ben Whishaw gay.

Yes, according to DL.

by Anonymousreply 2212/12/2012

[quote]Give Matt Wiener credit he might have been wrong on what religion Norwegians are....

So there are basically zero Norwegian catholics? They didn't have any holdouts as in other protestant countries such as England and Germany?

by Anonymousreply 2312/12/2012

I'm far preferring Season 2 to Season 1. I agree about the French actress playing the wife, though, she's very poor.

by Anonymousreply 2412/12/2012

R23 The only Catholics you meet in Norway are immigrants like The Spanish and The Italians. A native Scandinavian(including Sweden,Denmark and Finland as well) Catholic is an absolute rarity.

From Wikipedia:

Roman Catholics, Orthodox, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists and Sikhs are present in very small numbers, together comprising less than 1 percent of the population.

by Anonymousreply 2512/12/2012

[quote]I LOVE Ben Whishaw. A tiny man, but what a talent.

Me too! Just rented a movie he did called PERFUME which is about a serial killer in the 18th century And I do like THE HOUR.

by Anonymousreply 2612/12/2012

R21, there's only been one Downton Christmas special and it was pretty shit. I don't think you can refer to it as the highlight of Christmas Day.

by Anonymousreply 2712/12/2012

R27, there's another Downton special episode being shown on Christmas night in the UK although I gather it's set in the summer.

by Anonymousreply 2812/12/2012

Horrid show. Everyone is completely miscast. The plot is predictable. The writing is pathetic. The acting is mediocre.

I bought a season pass on iTunes after reading it was the British MadMen. But it ain't. It trash.

by Anonymousreply 2912/12/2012

Jesus fuck. The "There are no Norwegian-Catholics in Bay Ridge" Troll is STILL going several years later???

by Anonymousreply 3012/13/2012

For the last time, Peggy Olsen is Norwegian ONLY on her father's side. Her mother is Irish and therefore, Catholic.

by Anonymousreply 3112/13/2012

R31 That was a retcon by the show because of the complaints about about Norwegians' religious status.

R30 Mary Fuck. There's more than one. It's not trolling just because you think Matty W is some kind of God. He's a great writer and show runner but he screwed that one detail up.

by Anonymousreply 3212/22/2012

[quote] Anyway is Ben Whishaw gay.

[quote] Yes, according to DL.

Not just DL.

He was with the composer of Bright Star, Jane Campion's Keats film.

by Anonymousreply 3312/22/2012

I like the actors and the look of The Hour. However, it's not very good. The first season started well but petered out. The second season started less well, though the last episode was pretty strong.

by Anonymousreply 3412/22/2012

Awww, that's a cute picture, R33.

by Anonymousreply 3512/22/2012

I am enjoying season two more than season one. I was so surprised to see Peter Capaldi playing such a mellow role. I wish the Madmen/Norwegian Catholic trolls would take their discussion elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 3612/22/2012

[quote]That was a retcon by the show because of the complaints about about Norwegians' religious status.

Bullshit.

From her very first appearance Peggy's mother was identified as "Theresa" (which is an Irish first name), and she had red hair. She was clearly meant to be Irish-American and not Norwegian-American.

You are so full of shit, Norwegian Catholics in Bay Ridge Troll. Four years later and the same stupid bullshit is still splattering out from your big and unstoppable mouth.

by Anonymousreply 3712/22/2012

I will see if this hour is on the torrent site.

by Anonymousreply 3812/23/2012

i love the show. Yes, the writing isn't perfect, and the plot lines drag a little. It's also hard to believe that the BBC would give its first news show ever to a group of three or four 27 year olds, and let them be run by a woman with about 6 years experience. Still, the acting is terrific, and the sets, costumes, etc are great. Ben Whishaw is wildly charming.

The biggest problem for American audiences is that the non-major actors all speak in dialects almost impossible to understand. When will the British learn to speak English?

by Anonymousreply 3912/23/2012

I could look at Dominic West and his bare ass all day long. I love it. So it's not perfect but it's very good with interesting characters. I'm also more interested in a show about the news industry and its issues and pioneers than advertising and those people. Though I do love Mad Men.

1950s England is a very interesting time. Completely different from 1950s US.

by Anonymousreply 4012/23/2012

I liked season 2 even better than the first. Every episode was tight, suspenseful and close to perfect for the period depicted. Freddie lives; not all the bad guys have been brought to justice. Will there be a series 3?

So when is PBS (or any other network in the US ) ever going to run last year's BBC Shakespeare adaptation "The Hollow Throne" --critically acclaimed, out on DVD overseas for months and still unavailable to American viewers? Supposedly PBS has the broadcast rights.

Whishaw is said to have been great in a small role, but the entire cast looks amazing.

by Anonymousreply 4101/18/2013

r41

You thought Freddie's marriage storyline worked?

by Anonymousreply 4201/18/2013

Well not exactly, r42, and you're right; that was surely the weakest subplot. But it set up a new conflict between him and Bel, and made them both seem more fragile (or damaged or vulnerable or something).

Otherwise I found season 2 really satisfying. I wish it had been longer. Lix is one of the best female characters I've seen on TV in years.

What we saw happen in Hector and Marnie's marriage made up for Freddie's stupid one to the French girl, maybe.

by Anonymousreply 4301/18/2013

It's official - the hour is not coming back. Ludicrous decision from BBC to end on such a cliffhanger.

by Anonymousreply 4402/13/2013

R15 and a couple others, MAD MEN took place in the 1960s.

by Anonymousreply 4502/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.