Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Antenna TV

Wow, just stumbled across this new channel on Time Warner Ch 166 here in NYC. THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY, ADAM-12, TOO CLOSE FOR COMFORT, HERE COME THE BRIDES, SUSPENSE THEATRE, IT TAKES A THIEF, THE MONKEES, S.W.A.T...better than TV Land.

by Anonymousreply 32512/23/2014

For Maude alone, I love this channel. It has a lot of other great stuff too.

by Anonymousreply 202/18/2012

It is pathetic, sad, the truly wanting the programming one has put up with when one doesn't have cable tv, but has an antenna instead.

by Anonymousreply 402/18/2012

We just got Me-TV in Denver. You get MASH, Mary Tyler Moore, The Rifleman and all kinds of old shows.

by Anonymousreply 502/18/2012

Love it too. OK lets discuss individual shows. "Father Knows Best". Watch Jane Wyatt, she never stops moving, she is always doing housework, her job is never done. By the end of the run she must have been a pro potato peeler. Betty was a snob. She always had her nose up about something or someone. Bud was an endearing idiot and was really cute. And baby Kathy cried every single episode and they had in that creepy little girl hairstyle and dress way into her teens. She looked like a forty year old woman in kids clothes so we know why she was crying all the time.

by Anonymousreply 602/18/2012

OP, since ABC took off my 'stories' I have replaced them by DVR'ng the old Alfred Hitchcock Presents Antenna TV runs late at night. Two half hour shows Mon thru Thurs.

by Anonymousreply 702/18/2012

[quote]Eldergay thread.

Whatever, you will grow old too.

by Anonymousreply 802/18/2012

I never could stand Betty either, r6. Such a snooty bitch and always mean to my dear Bud. The show is soooo dated too. Even in the 50s that over-dramatic orchestral score had to have been over the top for TV. And they should have just ended every episode with a printed page spelling out that week's message in case they didn't beat it over your head enough within the show. I mostly watch the repeats to see Bud's nipples poking through his tight t-shirts.

by Anonymousreply 902/18/2012

what a complete bore all of those old shows are

it shows how desperate you are to watch anything on tv no matter what it is when you stuck with extremely old sit coms and series when all you have is antenna tv

by Anonymousreply 1002/18/2012

I have cable (150 channels of nothing) and antenna TV is part of the cable package R10.

by Anonymousreply 1102/18/2012

[quote]what a complete bore all of those old shows are

Then go watch your Transformers if you're that bored.

by Anonymousreply 1202/18/2012

[quote]Eldergay thread.

What are you babbling about? These shows are being broadcast everyday to whole generations that have never seen them.

by Anonymousreply 1302/18/2012

[quote]I mostly watch the repeats to see Bud's nipples poking through his tight t-shirts.

Ha! Every episode and lots of shirtless scenes too!

by Anonymousreply 1402/18/2012

[quote]it shows how desperate you are to watch anything on tv no matter what it is when you stuck with extremely old sit coms and series when all you have is antenna tv

It actually shows how poor most of today's tv is by comparison.

by Anonymousreply 1502/18/2012

They need to show I Love Lucy.

But I've started watching Leave It To Beaver instead of the news. Whoever wrote it certainly knew how kids think. I like Father Knows Best, too, but there's something self-conscious about it - as if it's trying too hard. Leave It To Beaver was low key and didn't do "look what a loving family we are" episodes all the time the way Father Knows Best did.

by Anonymousreply 1602/18/2012

I Love Lucy, That Girl and Mary Tyler Moore are all on Me-TV. What an evolution from the 50s to the 70s.

I watch Antenna TV mostly for Burns and Allen and sometimes the Jack Benny Program. That Ronnie Burns gets my pulse racing.

I also watched every single episode of Hazel, and believe me once is enough,

by Anonymousreply 1702/18/2012

Betty, Elinor Donahue, grew up to marry Harry Ackerman of, all things, Bewitched fame. Their son married a chick named Francine and Frannie Ackerman is one of the biggest casting cunts in H'wood.

Frannie Ackerman and her nasty little agency should die...

by Anonymousreply 1802/18/2012

I'm watching Dragnet 1968 on Antenna right now but would much rather see Father Knows Best, Burns and Allen and Leave It to Beaver.

When are those on?

I wish Antenna would show December Bride, I Married Joan and Love That Bob. Those were my favorites. I'm not that old....I caught them all in endless reruns in the late 50s/early 60s. I know...still quite old!

by Anonymousreply 1902/18/2012

R19, Father Knows Best comes on at 4PM weekdays and Leave It To Beaver comes on at 6PM. Two episodes of each are shown in a row.

by Anonymousreply 2002/18/2012

Antenna TV is currently licensing the Columbia Studios archives, both movies and TV shows, so if it wasn't made by Columbia/Sony/Screen Gems or their subsidiaries, it won't be on Antenna TV anytime soon.

Me-TV seems to have a stuff from multiple distributors.

by Anonymousreply 2102/18/2012

[quote]what a complete bore all of those old shows are

Only boring people are bored.

by Anonymousreply 2202/18/2012

[quote] Antenna TV is currently licensing the Columbia Studios archives, both movies and TV shows, so if it wasn't made by Columbia/Sony/Screen Gems or their subsidiaries, it won't be on Antenna TV anytime soon.

Yeah, I remember Antenna's Facebook page saying that. MeTV has, I think, mostly the Warner Bros library and Antenna has Columbia/Sony, but some are on both.

by Anonymousreply 2302/18/2012

Was surprised to see Tim Matheson as one of the regular kids on "Leave It To Beaver" and I get a chuckle out of how the teacher always smirks when the kids say the stupidest things.

by Anonymousreply 2402/18/2012

Love watching Bachelor Father reruns on Antenna TV. John Forsythe was hot. Linda Evans was on a show the other day playing a friend of NieceKelly. Too weird!

by Anonymousreply 2502/19/2012

R15 I think he was kidding, hope so anyway.

by Anonymousreply 2602/19/2012

I can remember channel-browsing, and my mom would pipe up and say, "Wait. Go back to the black-and-white channel. I want see what that was." The black-and-white is what she called the AMC channel. Now I'm her.

by Anonymousreply 2702/19/2012

Hope they get metvo ny

by Anonymousreply 2802/19/2012

[quote]Love watching Bachelor Father reruns on Antenna TV. John Forsythe was hot. Linda Evans was on a show the other day playing a friend of NieceKelly. Too weird!

Actually John Forsythe was gorgeous and the camera loved him. He was built solid too, you could see when he had his shirt off. Now the niece, Noreen Corcoran looked just like her brother who was a Disney kid star, Kevin Corcoran, not the most attractive family in Hollywood. The "House Boy" Peter is really funny. I was surprised how they didn't shy away from Bentley being a real pussy hound, one episode he had three dates in one night and the woman were really forward. I'm loving these re-runs. Even in B&W they are better than anything on network TV today.

by Anonymousreply 2902/19/2012

LOVE Bachelor Father!!

What time is it on?

by Anonymousreply 3002/19/2012

"Bachelor Father", Antenna TV Weekdays, two episodes, 3:00pm & 3:39pm

by Anonymousreply 3102/19/2012

I was born in the 70s which, I guess, puts me in the eldergay category. Every afternoon after school, after Edge of Night or the After School Special went off, the stations would show all of these old sitcoms. I guess this was before syndicated tv really had such a strong hold on local stations. They would show these old black and white sitcoms, the Munsters, the Addams Family, Donna Reed, Father Knows Best, Dennis the Menace, I Love Lucy, Mothers In Law, etc.

I loved these shows. So this channel isn't just for the AARP crowd. What I don't understand is why TVLand couldn't survive just showing classic tv episodes? Is the audience for this kind of programming that limited?

by Anonymousreply 3202/19/2012

I get a kick out of jack benny show and hazel

by Anonymousreply 3302/19/2012

[quote]Is the audience for this kind of programming that limited?

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 3402/19/2012

Kent McCord, on 'Adam 12' , as rookie cop - yum. Didn't Jack Webb, the show's producer, have a thing for him ?

by Anonymousreply 3502/19/2012

[quote]s the audience for this kind of programming that limited?... Yes.

Yeah, that's why there are now two full time channels with this programming. Bet reply34 hates foreign movies too because he doesn't like to read at the movies.

by Anonymousreply 3602/19/2012

Caught an episode of The Monkees last night...wow, that was really awful. And they were so PROUD of it. Mike Nesmith was a looker, though.

I think I must have seen episode from the final season, when they decided they were real musicians.

by Anonymousreply 3702/19/2012

R30, Bachelor Father is on at 3PM and 3:30PM on Antenna TV.

by Anonymousreply 3802/19/2012

I wish they would air some more 70s and 80s tv shows and tv movies. I would love to see shows that don't get a lot of play elsewhere like Taxi, one Day at a Time, Barney Miller, Mr. Belvedere etc...

by Anonymousreply 3902/19/2012

Re ADAM-12, is it safe to assume that Pete Malloy was secretly one of TV's earliest gay characters? He never showed the slightest interest in women; even in episodes when Reed and his wife tried to fix him up with beautiful friends of theirs, he couldn't have cared less. (Even when women came right out and propositioned him, his response was always a very polite "not interested".)

Given that this was the late 60s/early 70s, the writer/producers never had to worry about "giving the wrong impression" (so to speak) about Malloy's life after hours, the assumption of course being that he was just a "confirmed bachelor" (wink wink) more dedicated to serving the public than the pursuit of his own personal pleasure. Yeah, right.

by Anonymousreply 4002/19/2012

There was an episode of Adam-12 which I saw in its original run (yes, I'm an eldergay) which featured Kent McCord's character teaching boys how to swim at some police summer camp. I've never seen in it in reruns but it featured a shirtless McCord looking very nice.

The Monkees are hit and miss. Some episodes have moments of humor to them, others are too bizarre with everything being somewhat stream of consciousness. Mike Nesmith was cute and sometimes showed a nice basket but Peter Tork was cute as well.

by Anonymousreply 4102/19/2012

The other day they had the very special Too Close for Comfort episode on. The one were Monroe is kidnapped by two woman and raped. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 4202/19/2012

I've become hooked on the sheer awfulness that was Alfred Hitchcock Presents. It's fun to see character actors who came to later prominence, like Raymond Bailey, TV's Milburn Drysdale. And without his toupee. Watching The Beverly Hillbillies as a child of the '60s, it never would have occurred to me that he sported a hairpiece.

by Anonymousreply 4302/19/2012

These oldies packages are everywhere now, and people are watching them. I have a converter box and get network channels and Me-TV... all free.

by Anonymousreply 4402/19/2012

R36, the audience for this material is so old and unattractive to advertisers, most cable channels don't bother with it.

by Anonymousreply 4502/19/2012

I was watching Hazel before going to sleep until they moved it from 1 am to 3 am. It was the first time I had ever seen the show, and I really enjoyed it -- esp. the episodes with Mr. B's bitch sister, Deirdre.

by Anonymousreply 4602/19/2012

Deirdre was the best part of Hazel, and the fashion show was the best episode.

by Anonymousreply 4702/19/2012

I really enjoy watching Dragnet on this channel...every episode has the funniest overacting Ive ever seen !

by Anonymousreply 4802/19/2012

Yes, R48, and what makes it even funnier is the look on Jack Webb's face in those scenes, as if he's thinking "Damn, bitch, you can't act."

by Anonymousreply 4902/19/2012

Teen Wally Cleaver is so hot. His eyes make me melt. Even in B&W you can see how blue they are.

by Anonymousreply 5002/19/2012

[quote] Mr. Belvedere etc...

You mean "Brocktoon"?

by Anonymousreply 5102/19/2012

Damn, Robert Brown on HERE COME THE BRIDES is FUCKING HOT. He must have been one of us, right?

by Anonymousreply 5202/19/2012

I love Leave it to Beaver. Especially Beaver's creepy, smart ass friends. Eddie Hakell too. Next time you watch Leave it to Beaver concentrate on June. Throw aside her fashion and overly butch hairdo. Just look at her face. She's fucking gorgeous.

I remember, vaguely, watching Hazel in afternoon repeats when I was little. I bought season one on Amazon just to refresh myself. That show was funny as hell. Deidre and Hazel clashing were some of the funniest moments. In one episode Deidre walks in showing off her new fur coat. Hazel says to her "if that thing ever has pups I want one." My favorite Hazel line is to Mr. B when he wants dessert: "none for you Mr. B. I've had to let those pants out more than the dog."

by Anonymousreply 5302/19/2012

You can find some talented guest-stars who died young and are forgotten today, such as Lee Kinsolving, who guest-starred on a first-season episode of The Rifleman.

Kinsolving was a promising young actor who dated Tuesday Weld and Candice Bergen. He died of an unusual respiratory illness at age 36 in 1974.

That same year, Bobby Buntrock, who played Harold on HAZEL, died at 17, in a car accident on the same bridge that took his mother's life a year earlier.

by Anonymousreply 5402/20/2012

Sorry, mistake with the link.

by Anonymousreply 5502/20/2012

More Kent McCord info - pics, clips

by Anonymousreply 5602/20/2012

Saw a recent pic of Kent - silver haired GILF

by Anonymousreply 5702/20/2012

I enjoy the old Norman Lear shows that were on tv before I was born. I'd never had a chance to see Maude until Antenna and it's a great treat.

by Anonymousreply 5802/20/2012

[quote]I love Leave it to Beaver. Especially Beaver's creepy, smart ass friends.

Beaver's blonde friend Gilbert was absolutely hilarious, especially when talking to Beaver's father about how much his own father couldn't stand him.

by Anonymousreply 5902/20/2012

What I love about the old Hitchcock shows,seeing actors early in their careers. Joan Hackett, Carol Lynley, Robert Horton,Joanne Woodward, Steve McQueen and Robert Redford did that series. And it's fun discovering actors, no longer with us that I had never heard of. Am constantly looking up their bios on wikipedia.

Speaking of Robert Horton, what a hunk. And they usually figured out some way to get him out of his shirt. I would have gladly ridden on his 'wagon train.'

by Anonymousreply 6002/20/2012

Kent McCord was a really attractive guy in Adam-12 and has aged well.

Before Jack Webb's death in 1982, another revival of Dragnet was planned with Kent playing Joe Friday's new partner.

It would have been interesting to see the ultra-square Joe Friday dealing with thugs in the early 80's.

by Anonymousreply 6102/20/2012

June Cleaver speaking jive is funny as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 6202/20/2012

I think Kent MCCord is the reason behind my police fetish.

by Anonymousreply 6302/20/2012

Antenna TV is better than nothing if you like these old shows, but they are so cut up to accommodate commercials, they are almost unwatchable. If dvds are available, I'd rather watch them, and have been: all four seasons of Dennis the Menace are finally available and it's nice to see them uncut. Great Scott!

by Anonymousreply 6402/20/2012

Kent McCord was hot as hell!

by Anonymousreply 6502/20/2012

[quote]Mike Nesmith was cute and sometimes showed a nice basket but Peter Tork was cute as well.

Janis Joplin thought so as well; Peter was one of the many guys she had an affair with (also, Kris Kristofferson).

by Anonymousreply 6602/20/2012

Mitzi Hoag on Here Come The Brides! I liked her. Damn, Susan Tolsky was homely.

It's fun knowing Bobby Sherman was gay and guessing which of the hot guy extras he entertained in his trailer.

by Anonymousreply 6702/20/2012

Kent McCord and best friend Ricky Nelson. Oh the possibilities.

by Anonymousreply 6802/20/2012

[quote]Bachelor Father is on at 3PM and 3:30PM on Antenna TV.

Noon & 12:30pm, if you're on the west coast.

by Anonymousreply 6902/20/2012

I thought Kent McCord was Tom Brady when I first opened that pic.

by Anonymousreply 7002/20/2012

R68 no temptation to use "hung like a moose" as the caption?

by Anonymousreply 7102/20/2012

R4/R10, I don't usually use troll-dar to hunt out trolls, but your posts both seemed so idiotic and incoherent in a similar way that I was prompted to do so -- and, sure enough, both were from you! Please learn to write clearly or go the fuck away.

by Anonymousreply 7202/20/2012

On "Father Knows Best" they lived in a normal neighborhood and had a Mexican Gardener that had two episodes devoted to his problems. Thought it is was hilarious they had a teenage boy who couldn't even mow the lawn. Maybe he was down by the tracks making his own money.

by Anonymousreply 7302/20/2012

Could someone in NYC tell me what channel Antenna is on?

TIA!

by Anonymousreply 7402/20/2012

Ahhh.....just found it.....166!

by Anonymousreply 7502/20/2012

Is that the channel which airs "Soap" on Sunday nights?

by Anonymousreply 7602/20/2012

R74 if you have a converter box it's one of the channel 4 stations. If your not getting it refresh the channels on you box.

If you have Cablevision in Brooklyn it's channel 114.

by Anonymousreply 7702/20/2012

Forget what I just said about the converter box. It's not one of the 4 channels. Sorry. It's one of the channel 11s. Refresh your box then go to channel 11 then keep going up a channel until you hit the right one. I don't think you can get to it directly. You have to go to regular channel 11 first and work your way up.

by Anonymousreply 7802/20/2012

[quote]Is that the channel which airs "Soap" on Sunday nights?

Yes it is. They just recycled back to the start of the show and is about half-way into the first season (Peter, the tennis pro played by Robert Urich, is still alive).

by Anonymousreply 7902/20/2012

I have FIOS and found MeTV, but Id love to check out Antenna TV. Any chance? Or is it just on Time Warner?

by Anonymousreply 8102/20/2012

FIOS has it on 465 in my system.

by Anonymousreply 8202/20/2012

Kent McCord was actually good friends with Ricky Nelson.

by Anonymousreply 8302/21/2012

Here's Kent McCord's photo gallery from his website.

by Anonymousreply 8402/21/2012

Remember, Martin Milner was his partner on the show, and though he was not really a hottie, he had a pretty interesting film background. Was in 'I Remember Mama', 'Sweet Smell Of Success' ( as the boyfriend of Burt Lancaster's tortured daughter), was (gay & gorgeous) George Maharis' Corvette buddy, in TV's 'Route 66' (platonic 'friends, who just happened to travel all around the country together, for fun ?), and of course, was Neely O' Hara's husband 'Ted', in our beloved 'Valley Of The Dolls' ( "At least I never married one" -Helen Lawson). Still alive- raises avacados, on a ranch, near San Diego.

by Anonymousreply 8502/21/2012

[quote]"At least I never married one" -Helen Lawson

She said that in reference to Ted Casablanca. Milner played her first husband, Mel Anderson.

by Anonymousreply 8602/21/2012

Thanks for Kent's website r84.

I especially enjoyed Kent's photo of his Dad and him posing shirtless.

by Anonymousreply 8702/21/2012

For those poster who mentioned, "I Love Lucy," you can find that on the Hallmark Channel (191) if you have Cablevision.

I sometimes watch "Frasier" reruns at night before going to bed. When I turn on the TV in the morning, ILL is on.

by Anonymousreply 8802/21/2012

RE 86 You're right, my mistake . Been a while since I saw VOTD. Of course, poor "Who needs you" Mel. Never understood if Ted was the gay hubbie, why she found him in the pool with a girl - would it have been too scandalous , in 1967, to really have Neely find him with a guy ? Know the scene was based on Judy finding then hubbie Vincente Minnelli in bed , with a guy. That part of the movie never made sense for me.

by Anonymousreply 8902/21/2012

I think in the book it was a guy in the pool with Ted.

by Anonymousreply 9002/21/2012

"Here Comes the Brides" is hoopy for hairstyles alone, not at all period, the makeup, clothes, fashions are all 60s inspired. And "The Iron Horse" western before it is funny, too. Overacting by all, fun guest stars, I just saw Ellen Burstyn on one. I'm getting a gay vibe from Gidget's dad, too, and enjoying the fun beach wear, some of it Old Navy should knock-off. And Sally was wearing some futuristic BoyWatchers sunglasses last week. Poor Peter Duel.

by Anonymousreply 9102/21/2012

RE 90 - Never read the book, but that does make sense , considering what Helen says later. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 9202/21/2012

Just saw a commercial for WKRP IN CINCINNATI starting in April!

by Anonymousreply 9302/22/2012

[quote]Just saw a commercial for WKRP IN CINCINNATI starting in April!

Gary Sandy's tight jeans, mmmm...

by Anonymousreply 9402/23/2012

I just watched a couple episodes of Bachelor Father. I had never heard of the show before. That was a pretty damn good show for the time. Peter is fucking hilarious. Gives Hazel a run for her money. Greg's interest on one of the episodes was a very young Mary Tyler Moore. The kid who played his niece was actually pretty good. The camera sure did love John Forsythe.

by Anonymousreply 9502/23/2012

I don't think Bachelor Father is bad, but it's pointless and dull. I've seen about 4 or 5 episodes.

And I saw MTM on the show -- she played a guest character's older sister, not a love interest for John Forsythe, unless she appeared more than once.

by Anonymousreply 9602/24/2012

Just watched Hazel, it made me weep a little. Shirley Booth really was someone special.

by Anonymousreply 9702/25/2012

Booth lived in an apartment building in Manhattan called the Osborne located at W. 57th St. She had this huge apartment with double doors leading into it. On the same floor my old vocal coach had a tiny studio. When I could go to him for a lesson sometimes I would see Booth coming in or out.

Wow but she sure looked very much to the manor born. In RL she was very far removed from Hazel. I was a kid when I went for voice lessons so stupidly I was always shocked that she didn't look like Hazel.

I wonder what her apt. is going for these days. I'll bet at least 5 million.

P.S. back in the day, Harold, my vocal coach's paid less than 100 a month for his studio (circa 1969) I don't know if that was rent or maintenance but remember him telling my dad that.

by Anonymousreply 9802/25/2012

In 1980 the GOP convention came to Detroit where I grew up. As a 23-year old, I went with a buddy to a hotel where the convention-goers and media stayed to engage in some celebrity gazing. As Don DeFore, Hazel's boss (on a show I don't recall ever watching), and apparently a Hollywood friend of Ronald Reagan, the nominee, walked pass the assembled crowd, I yelled out his name. He seemed so startled to be recognized by someone so young.

by Anonymousreply 9902/25/2012

The brilliant and unique Shirley Booth could never have a career today on Broadway, TV or anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 10002/25/2012

An episode this week of Alfred Hitchcock Presents featured a 20-year old Joel Crothers, who later went on to soap stardom and died of AIDS at the age of 44 in 1985.

by Anonymousreply 10102/26/2012

LOL Frank Zappa is on the Monkees now.

by Anonymousreply 10202/26/2012

There was a bizarre episode of The Monkees over the weekend. It was basically the boys running around France being chased by a group of girls while every once in a while small snippets of their music would play. There were a couple of scenes where they were cornered by the girls who then proceeded to rip off their clothes.

by Anonymousreply 10302/26/2012

The Monkees TV show tried to make A Hard Day's Night into a weekly TV series.

Sometimes it succeeded, others its didn't. But as a kid, I remember always enjoying the music and the antics, even if the plot didn't make much sense.

by Anonymousreply 10402/27/2012

"Just saw a commercial for WKRP IN CINCINNATI starting in April!"

Damn. Then it will be reruns of Brady Bunch and then Head of the Class or some other crap.

I wish these nostalgic stations would stick with ONE decade. All those 70s & 80s sitcoms were rerun endlessly on minor cable stations already.

The bw ones from the 50s and early 60s are much more rare.

by Anonymousreply 10502/27/2012

Last night's episode featured a deliciously half-naked Robert Urich. Unfortunately, it was his death scene.

by Anonymousreply 10602/27/2012

r98 -- didn't Bobby Short live in the Osborne?

AntennaTV getting WKRP is a triumph -- as of last fall, the show's owners didn't want to license it, apparently because the music rights weren't completely cleared. Glad they worked it out.

by Anonymousreply 10702/27/2012

I'm enjoying the Burns and Allen episodes every night, but I notice that they always skip the Vaudeville episode. They talk about it in the next episode (where Gracie becomes a magician's assistant) but they never air it.

I wonder if it's because they couldn't get the music clearances, or something.

Any eldergays know?

by Anonymousreply 10802/27/2012

It will be interesting to hear if all the music makes it intact to this upcoming re-airing, r107.

Many shows substitute the original songs with those for which they could get subsequent rights.

by Anonymousreply 10902/28/2012

All in the Family and Maude for me 2 or 3 nights a week minimum. I don't know if that's a good thing or not...Both shows were a decade before my time but for whatever reason they speak to me more than the TV shows today.

Last night they aired the famed episode where Maude visited a shrink and the entire show is a Bea Arthur monologue.

by Anonymousreply 11002/28/2012

It's true, 109. And one of my favorite KRP eps is about a Russian defector; a key plot point is the Elton John song "Tiny Dancer." I don't think they could play that episode at all without it.

(The other all-time fave ep for me is the turkey show. KRP fans will know what I mean.)

by Anonymousreply 11102/28/2012

I'm really liking Leave it to Beaver. I never watched it before Antenna TV. It's not nearly as wholesome and treacly as you're led to believe it is.

Last week I watched a pretty frank episode about alcoholism with no laugh track. Ward hires a veteran who was damaged by the war to paint his house to help him go clean. On a weak day during his recovery he talks beaver into getting him some booze from his parent's bar. Sending him off the wagon and back towards the gutter again. He explains it all to Beaver at the end when he apologizes to him.

Corny I know but it was one of the more touching TV episodes I ever saw.

by Anonymousreply 11202/28/2012

Great channel

by Anonymousreply 11302/28/2012

What day is Crothers on Hitch? Thx

by Anonymousreply 11402/28/2012

Beaver Gets Stuck in a Soup Can.

Up until that time the most expensive episode of a TV show ever filmed. I can't explain why either.

by Anonymousreply 11502/28/2012

[quote] What day is Crothers on Hitch?

The 1961 episode, Beta Delta Gamma, was on last week. Without Crother's facial hair, I had trouble initially identifying him. He played a medical student.

by Anonymousreply 11602/28/2012

O missed Joel. Thx anyway

by Anonymousreply 11702/28/2012

I just watched episode 1, season 2 of Hazel. It's in color now. If they ever make a movie about Hazel Mr. B could be played by Alec Baldwin.

by Anonymousreply 11802/28/2012

Loving the old shows but the commercials are even funnier.

One is this debt relief program and towards the end, they have some flaming big bear come on and say "I wouldn't HESSSSITATE to call!"

And of course, that's trumped by the seemingly incessant commercials about transvaginal mesh implants. Eek!

by Anonymousreply 11903/15/2012

[quote]AntennaTV getting WKRP is a triumph -- as of last fall, the show's owners didn't want to license it, apparently because the music rights weren't completely cleared. Glad they worked it out.

It will probably be some variation of the stock music episodes that aired for cable reruns in the 90s. If anyone has seen the season 1 DVDs, nearly all the real music has been stripped out and replaced by awful generic library music. Even Loni Anderson's doorbell which played "Fly Me To The Moon" has been changed.

The show is very funny on its own and I wouldn't mind the changed music so much IF they would pay for music that was really necessary to the playout of a particular scene. "Tiny Dancer" mentioned above is a good example; another is Pink Floyd's "Dogs." Also, the stock music they used on the DVDs is so awful it's distracting.

by Anonymousreply 12003/16/2012

I wish we had Antenna TV, I love those shows

by Anonymousreply 12103/16/2012

George and Gracie's son is gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 12203/16/2012

There was an episode of B&A a few weeks ago where George and Gracie were still in NYC and Ronnie let all his USC friends stay at the house with him. A bunch of 50s era shirtless hunks walking around made me all hot in my nether-regions.

by Anonymousreply 12303/16/2012

[quote] Last night they aired the famed episode where Maude visited a shrink and the entire show is a Bea Arthur monologue.

LOVE that one. I've seen most of them now but without the DVDs in circulation I was happy to be able to see seasons 2-6.

With WKRP, the question is…will they have THIS song at the end? I love this….kind ultimate early 80s rock song snippet.

by Anonymousreply 12403/16/2012

Yesterday, they aired the DL fav "Good Times" episode "The Judith Cohen Story." It still has to be one of the most bizarre things to air on 70s TV. Who the hell is this woman?! You know "Good Times" viewers at the time were like, WTF? Now if they had cast her as Bonnie Franklin's sister on "One Day At a Time"...

by Anonymousreply 12503/16/2012

Damn, damn, DAMN!!!!

by Anonymousreply 12603/16/2012

The "Leave It To Beaver" writers repeated themselves. A few weeks ago they showed an episode where Beaver now about 13 joined a record club and kept forgetting to send back the card and owed the $80 and the company was going to sue and today they showed one from the first season where he was really little and sent away for Perfume to sell and didn't and the company was going to sue for that money too. That Beaver, he just never learns.

by Anonymousreply 12703/16/2012

Another odd thing I read about Jerry Mathers the other day. Beaver wasn't cancelled because of low ratings. All the stars were sick to death of doing it. Jerry Mathers had offers pouring in for more TV and movies. He turned it all down because he just wanted to go to High School and be normal for a while. Then he went to college and graduated with a degree in philosophy.

His parents never spent a cent of what he made on Beaver. When he graduated college he had a small fortune in investments waiting for him. He became quite successful in banking and real estate.

by Anonymousreply 12803/17/2012

And then he died Viet Nam, poor kid.

by Anonymousreply 12903/17/2012

I give it a year, then they will start showing crappy supposedly funny cartoons for adults, repeats of 90's shows and then reality programming. The reality will start slow, then it will become 40% then 80% of their programming. By the time it is done morphing, it will be Bravo.

by Anonymousreply 13003/17/2012

I heard just the other day on the Clark Howard radio show that many homeowners are dropping dish/cable and going back to antennas. Surprisingly, there are a good number of base channels available. They then use Hulu Plus/Netflix/Amazon Prime to get viewing content at much.

If you're looking to save on monthly expenses and aren't a TV addict, it makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 13103/17/2012

Wasn't George and Gracie's' son adopted.

It looks like he's holding an ASS in that linked cover of TEEN, loool

by Anonymousreply 13203/17/2012

The Bob Newhart Show, Frasier and I Love Lucy are all shown on Hallmark daily, on Time Warner in NYC.

WOW, what a different between the great acting and writing compared to today's inane shows. Especially Frasier, the show was so well written and with excellent acting.

by Anonymousreply 13303/17/2012

Leaving show biz was a smart move for Jerry Mathers because, in spite of the initial offers coming in towards the end of Leave It to Beaver, he grew into a rather homely adult man by the time he reached his mid-20s.

by Anonymousreply 13403/17/2012

Ronnie Burns was indeed adopted (and gorgeous!). We had a whole thread about him just a few weeks ago.

by Anonymousreply 13503/17/2012

I agree R134. I suspect he realized he wasn't a good actor. When Beaver first started and he was a small child I think he was one of, if not the best, child actors. He was completely natural. When he grew though and needed acting skills they weren't there. Good on his parents though for not treating his career as their life.

by Anonymousreply 13603/17/2012

"Caught an episode of The Monkees last night...wow, that was really awful. And they were so PROUD of it. Mike Nesmith was a looker, though.

I think I must have seen episode from the final season, when they decided they were real musicians."

Actually three were REAL musicians!

Micky Dolenz was a child actor, he appeared on a TV show called "Circus Boy". Micky's daughter Ami became an actress, IIRc she has appeared on a soap in the 80s.

You clearly know very little about The Monkees saga, sure they were set up as a fake rock band for the purpose of the TV show, but three of them were musical performers before the show.

Mike Nesmith (who was a wealthy heir, his mom created "Wite Out" or whatever it's called) and Peter Took were musicians, Devy Jones sang in musicals on the London stage. Davy even had a solo LP out in the UK before he came to the US to do the TV show.

It was one of those situations where a fake band became a real band.

The guest musicians were quite interesting, espeically as most of the guest stars were not actually geared to The Monkees demographic audience: people like Tim Buckley and Frank Zappa did not produce music for teeny-bopper fans.

It was clear that The Monkess had these musicial guest stars appearing, to show the producers they were trying to be taken seriously as musicians.

by Anonymousreply 13703/17/2012

I am glad I stumbled onto this site as I have become a fan of Antenna TV. I also grew up in the 1960s but never watched Burns and Allen as it was then probably on too late for someone in kindergarten. Now that I'm an Eldergay I can say that I'm in love with Ronnie Burns (as he was then) and his nice ass. I guess it is a moot point as he has gone to his reward about 5 years ago. I had to go to the library and take out some books on George Burns to see if there were any pictures of Ronnie then and later on--there were and Ronnie didn't age very well despite whether or not he remained a nice guy. George Burns said he was charming, diplomatic and a little hard to understand. All I know is that he is on my list of actors that I want to put over my knee and spank the dickens out of. I suggest, for those Eldergays into spanking and men's bottoms, that we compose a list of men we think need their bottoms pinched and spanked. In addition to Ronnie Burns I like the guy on Here Come the Brides (can't think of his name), Gary Sandy, Martin Milner (ok Kent McCord too but I happen to think Martin Milner is cuter and has a nicer ass, especially in that cop uniform--unlike some who have posted here--and in more need of a nice friendly spanking), Chuck Conners (oooo those tight cowboy jeans!!)and various assorted mens on Alfred Hitchcock too numerous to mention. Too bad one can't gather them all into one male harem and pester them all day long. When they get some more westerns on I think I will have to have the smelling salts handy right by the remote--especially if Wild Wild West comes on with Robert Conrad's squeezable, pinchable, spankable, unbelievable ass.

by Anonymousreply 13803/23/2012

Forgot to say, whoever mentioned Jerry Mathers grew up to be homely hit it right on the head. Tony Dow on the other hand was good looking then and isn't too bad now. I think he is into art of some kind isn't he? I am also in the habit of looking up cute (or formerly cute) men on Wikipedia to read their bios. While I'm again on the subject of men's bottoms and who needed/needs a spanking, I want to pose a question--does anyone think Andy Griffith was cute (or more like handsome) in that sheriff's outfit in the 60s? I desperately wanted to paddle his ass back then. Poor guy, he evolved into a grotesque troll--I hope I don't look that bad if I age that much. Somewhere I heard that both Johnny Crawford and Jay North turned into insufferable queens later in life. I wanted to go into the woods and do many manly things with Chuck Conners and his rear end.

by Anonymousreply 13903/23/2012

Back in the 70's Johnny Crawford appeared nude in a movie called The Naked Ape. He really grew up to be quite a stud.

I used to beat off to this photo in my dad's copy of Playboy that it appeared in. Apparently, it was the first photo of a full frontal nude man in Playboy.

Those were the days.

by Anonymousreply 14003/23/2012

I don't know what distributors they are getting their shows from but two of the shows I really want to see again are "Hawaiian Eye" with Baby Robert Conrad and "Surf Side Six" with gorgeous Van Williams and Troy Donohue. Sigh.

by Anonymousreply 14103/23/2012

There are a bunch of shows like that on MeTV.

by Anonymousreply 14203/23/2012

I want to know why Maude got rid of mrs naugatuck. She was the funniest thing on the whole run of the show.

by Anonymousreply 14303/27/2012

Donna Pescow, Doris Roberts, Debralee Scott & Robert Hays in "Angie" - - please!

by Anonymousreply 14403/27/2012

I'd love to see The Saint.

by Anonymousreply 14503/27/2012

[quote]Mike Nesmith (who was a wealthy heir, his mom created "Wite Out" or whatever it's called) and Peter Took were musicians, Devy Jones sang in musicals on the London stage.

I may not know much about the Monkees, but I do know it was Peter Tork, Davy Jones, and Liquid Paper.

by Anonymousreply 14603/27/2012

Here in southern New England we got channel 10.2 - it shows all the old shows. But Cox doesn't carry it, or at least I haven't been able to find it.

by Anonymousreply 14703/27/2012

My Little Margie

December Bride

I Married Joan

I was about 3 when they were on the air but I would like to see them again.

Oh and Love on a Rooftop

He and She

by Anonymousreply 14803/27/2012

If it ain't from Columbia, it ain't on Antenna.

And by the way, Burns and Allen in now on one hour earlier, at 1am Easteen.

by Anonymousreply 14903/28/2012

Yeah, they must have changed the lineup this week. Both Bachelor Father and Father Knows Best are gone.

by Anonymousreply 15003/28/2012

Burns and Allen is a great program... and Ronnie Burns was a FINE piece of ass...

Love Antenna TV - free over the air on KTLA-2 in Los Angeles

by Anonymousreply 15103/28/2012

I recently saw Joan Crawford on an episode of "Route 66" on R-TV {ATT's U-verse system). She seemed so desperate to play younger than her age.

by Anonymousreply 15203/28/2012

We get Antenna TV, and MeTV starts next weekend. Prime time block: Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke, Bob Newhart, and That Girl. On the weekends: Lost in Space and Thriller, as well as a crime block in the wee hours: The Fugitive, Naked City, and Peter Gunn.

There's also a weird channel called Retro TV, which has a bizarre mix of old shows. If you're looking for Archie, Norm Crosby's Comedy Shop and Merv Griffin's Crosswords all in one place, here it is.

by Anonymousreply 15303/28/2012

hottie John Cassavetes in "Johnny Staccato" they had a scene shot at the old MSG when it was on 49th & 8th Ave.

"Karen" NBC with Debbie Watson and a rockin' theme by the Beach Boys

"The Pruitts of Southhampton"

"Occasional Wife"

"The Cara Williams Show" on CBS

"The Good Guys" Joyce Van Patten, John Denver, Herb Edelman on CBS

"My Living Doll" Julie Newmar

by Anonymousreply 15403/28/2012

"The Mothers In Law" with Kaye Ballard (just turned 80!) and Eve Arden, a Desilu production

"Family Affair" is a hoot

by Anonymousreply 15503/28/2012

"On Our Own" Bess Armstrong and I forget the other gal's name, she won on $10,000 Pyramid then was cast in this, on CBS

The two incarnations of the Stockyard Channing show on CBS (which preceded "On Our Own") probably late 70s

The three incarnations of "The Doris Day Show" on CBS would be really fun to run...

by Anonymousreply 15603/28/2012

"Kate & Allie"- love!

by Anonymousreply 15703/28/2012

Watching "The Ropers" right now on Antenna TV.

I'd forgotten that their co-stars were Jeffrey Tambor and Patty McCormack.

by Anonymousreply 15803/28/2012

Tambor's kinda doable in that show, looks like he'd have a hot thick dick.

by Anonymousreply 15903/28/2012

A number of years ago there was a gay spanking site called Board of Education, I think, anyway, I recall there was a thread on Hugh Beaumont, Ward Cleaver on "Leave It to Beaver", and it was surprising how much appeal he had among some guys as the ideal father figure. Personally he didn't do anything much for me, at least not the way Chuck Connors did.

by Anonymousreply 16003/29/2012

I love Burns and Allen. I laugh for the whole half hour, but get depressed at the end because I realize they're all dead now. (Except for Bonnie MacAfee, and a couple of the Jensen daughters.)

by Anonymousreply 16104/15/2012

When Ward was out of his suits they always had him in some skin tight sweater vests. He had a rocking body. In many an interview Barbara Billingsley always mentioned that she had a huge crush on Hugh.

Anyway, I just watched Dragnet for the first and last time. How the hell did that show stay on for so long. Most boring shit ever.

by Anonymousreply 16204/15/2012

There are two "Monkees" episodes that are actually mini-documentaries about the actual guys on tour as the Monkees, which gave one extra episode per season (I'm a rock and TV nerd, so this is my wheelhouse.)

The Paris one is the second season, and more free-form with stuff like Davy playing with a swan for about 5 minutes. The first season is pretty cool and shows them on their first tour and give interviews about whether they actually play their instruments or not.

It is weird that for those episodes they're suddenly not this fake TV band that lives in a beach house and has wacky adventures, but actually a real band on a real tour, and how those episodes just randomly show up in the syndication rotation with no warning or anything.

I love Antenna, and had no idea how much cool music there was on "The Benny Hill Show". I'm slightly obsessed with The Ladybirds, the odd-looking trio of British librarian-types who randomly show up to sing songs in 3-part harmony. I especially love "Don't Stop The Music Or You'll Make Me Cry", which is a song I can't seem to find any info on anywhere. I also very much enjoy the Hill's Angels rendition of "I Will Survive".

by Anonymousreply 16304/15/2012

I love spotting old time or not famous yet actors on the Alfred Hitchcock shows.

by Anonymousreply 16404/15/2012

Does anyone know if AntennaTV is owned by WGN in Chicago? I was watching WKRP in Cincinnati last night and the WGN logo was on the screen. And if they aren't owned by WGN then did they rip the episodes off of WGN and are broadcasting them on their own?

by Anonymousreply 16504/16/2012

I'm currently making my way through the Fugitive on netflix. That would be a great addition. Then I'm on to Scarecrow and Mrs. King which would also be great. I remember loving Scarecrow and Mrs. King when I was little but my father hated it so I've only seen five or six episodes.

by Anonymousreply 16604/16/2012

Watched an episode of "Leave It To Beaver" today which featured Hugh Beaumont with a polo shirt with the top button undone, allowing for some chest hair to peek out. Very hot.

by Anonymousreply 16704/16/2012

Just watched an episode of Bachelor Father over the weekend but found the picture to be rather "watery" if you know what I mean...like the film had somewhat decomposed. Or is that just my TV?

by Anonymousreply 16804/16/2012

I love the butler, Peter I think, on Bachelor Father. He's a hoot.

by Anonymousreply 16904/16/2012

RE 166 - Loved "The Fugitive" . Thought David Jansen was so sexy in that role. The quiet loner. That sexy voice. People told me later he was a very good actor, since in real life he was a very gregarious guy - fun, joking, always smiling. Nothing like Kimball. Wasn't his death suspicious ? I remember he wasn't that old, and hadn't been .

by Anonymousreply 17004/19/2012

Sick.

by Anonymousreply 17104/19/2012

David Janssen was a raging alcoholic and smoked up to two packs of cigarettes a day. He collapsed of a heart attack. He was well loved in Hollywood and turned down a bevy of what would become high profile parts. He understood the dangers his alcoholism could do to his finances so for a long time his wife had sole control over all their assets.

He was smart enough to get part ownership of the Fugitive and all things Fugitive related. It took Dallas to break his ratings record.

by Anonymousreply 17204/19/2012

[quote]Anyway, I just watched Dragnet for the first and last time. How the hell did that show stay on for so long. Most boring shit ever.

Maybe an acquired taste or maybe it was just a bad episode, but Dragnet is actually kinda fascinating to watch. Saw a behind the scenes show on PBS about it and Jack Webb was in total control. He insisted on a specific dead pan delivery he wanted all the actors to do and they did it over until he was satisfied. The show is overly dramatic for today, but in those days it was shocking to have a crime show showing drug addicts and sex fiends.

by Anonymousreply 17304/19/2012

[quote] I love spotting old time or not famous yet actors on the Alfred Hitchcock shows.

This week, I followed up on a middle-aged actor playing a bar owner with a thick Italian accent. It turned out to be Alan Reed, the later voice of Fred Flinstone.

I'm amazed at how old actors & actresses in their 40s looked like in mid-century America.

by Anonymousreply 17404/19/2012

What do you mean R174?

by Anonymousreply 17504/20/2012

There was an episode which featured what I presumed to be a an early depiction of post-partum depression. Police officers find a baby abandoned in a park and at the end of the episode, a young wife comes into the station and talks about sometimes things become too much to handle and she forgets that baby, just as she did that day. She wasn't portrayed as mean or crazy person, just someone who was very sad.

by Anonymousreply 17604/20/2012

RE 172 Is the part ownership of "The Fugitive" what Dani Janssen has been living off all these years ? She always has a very exclusive Oscar party at her Century City penthouse, knows everybody in Hollywood, and fought Janssen's own mother , when he died, over his estate. And won. She had been married to singer, Buddy Grecco, and a few years after Janssen died, married Burt Reynolds best friend, director Hal Needham, for a few months. But she seems to live very well. How ?

by Anonymousreply 17704/20/2012

I would assume that is what she has been living off of. When Janssen died his real estate holdings MASSIVE. You should see the house he lived in. I tried to find a picture of but couldn't. Apparently his wife did a great job in making a rich man much richer. His alcoholism was tragic. Near the end of the last season of The Fugitive Hollywood was throwing work at him but he could just barely function.

by Anonymousreply 17804/22/2012

Did David Janssen wear a toupee?

by Anonymousreply 17904/22/2012

Yes - the same one that Jack Lord would wear years later in "Hawaii 5-0"

by Anonymousreply 18004/22/2012

It looks like they've added some Universal producct to the line-up, e.g., Dragnet, It Takes A Thief.

by Anonymousreply 18104/24/2012

It Takes a Thief could have been brilliant but it falls short. It's good but not what it could have been. When John Hamm is done with Mad Men there needs to be a remake of it.

by Anonymousreply 18204/24/2012

They have remade It Takes a Thief -- it's called White Collar. (Although without the international flavor, locales and guest stars.)

by Anonymousreply 18304/24/2012

Whatever It Takes A Thief's faults were White Color in no way compares. A strict, updated remake would have been a great vehicle for Matt Bomer.

by Anonymousreply 18404/24/2012

Heaven's to Betsey, Me TV just showed the first Lucy in California and I don't think there is a funnier single episode in TV history. Eve Arden and Bill Holden at The Brown Derby and then Holden and Lucy back at the Hotel with the fake nose. Perfection.

by Anonymousreply 18504/29/2012

Love watching the Adam 12 episodes on Adam 12. Kent McCord (Officer Reed) is stunning to look at.

by Anonymousreply 18604/29/2012

So a couple of weeks ago they finished re-airing the final season of Burns and Allen (Season 8). But instead of starting back from Season 1, they've picked it up from Season 3. Does anyone know - are the first two seasons missing?

by Anonymousreply 18705/12/2012

Me-TV is great. We have that here in SF. Twilight Zone, Perry Mason, Dick Van Dyke,Bob Newhart, MTM, and tomorrow they're having a TV moms marathon.

by Anonymousreply 18805/12/2012

The first two seasons of B & A were not filmed, but broadcast live every two weeks. These live shows were kinescoped, an early TV method of filming the show off the TV screen as it was aired and then sending the poor-quality films to other markets for later broadcast.

At season three they decided to go weekly, and film the shows in advance so they could be broadcast on the same day coast-to-coast.

Because of the poor film quality of seasons one and two, only seasons three to eight were sold in syndication, which is what Antenna TV is currently licensing.

Some episides from seasons one and two have appeared on VHS in the past; I can only imgine the visual quality.

And a few of the first two seasons' episodes were slightly re-written aand re-filmed in the later seasons, sort of like how Jeannie and Bewitched remade certain episides sfter their series switched to color.

But, despite their primitive quality, I too would like to see those episides from the first years.

You should love this short of Burns and Allen's first film appearance,called Lambchops, made in 1929. Their vaudeville act was fine-tuned by this point, and laid the groundwork for a successful transition to radio and then to television.

by Anonymousreply 18905/12/2012

Yesterday on Leave it to Beaver they had a scene where Ward was pissed off. He stood in the doorway with his suit on, arms folded, and a scowl on his face. He was a hot man.

Here's a younger Hugh.

by Anonymousreply 19005/12/2012

and a shirtless

by Anonymousreply 19105/12/2012

Wow! No wonder Wally was so hot. He took after his dad. Beaver didn't get any of those hot genes.

Was Hugh family?

by Anonymousreply 19205/12/2012

What the hell is that photo of shirtless Hugh from??

by Anonymousreply 19305/12/2012

Gracie also got a face lift and lightened her hair by Season 3. Much better!

And Larry Keating replaced Fred Clark as Harry Morton. Who do you all prefer?

by Anonymousreply 19405/12/2012

There was a another Harry Morton in the first few episodes -- Hal March, who played the lingerie salesman in a memorable episode of I Love Lucy, and played Harry's business partner in a couple of B & A episodes.

I surely prefer Larry Keating to Fred Clarke. Keating's superior attitude and vocabulary were a good foil for both George and Blanche -- there was a lot of material to play with.

Fred Clark was more of a brute, no finesse, and I never really liked him much after the way his character treated Betty Grable's character in How to Marry a Millionaire.

by Anonymousreply 19505/12/2012

Very odd how Burns and Allen had a Harry Morton and a Hary Von Zell. Two Harrys!

by Anonymousreply 19605/12/2012

Having two Harry's was sometimes the source of confusion in the storyline. It seems real, though - don't you have friends and acquaintances with the same name?

Both of the actors who played Harry Morton did a good job, but it's interesting to see how the show changed once Keating replaced Clark. The Mortons were friendlier with George in the earlier seasons, and more at odds with George in the later seasons.

by Anonymousreply 19705/13/2012

Is it true that Bea Benadaret passed on playing Ethel Mertz so she could be Blanche Morton? She certainly got a better wardrobe out of the deal.

by Anonymousreply 19805/13/2012

Actually, it was so she could [italic]continue[/italic] to play Blanche Morton, which she had done for B&A since the radio show.

And I agree with r197 about the attitude change with Keating's arrival. Earlier, it seemed both George and Harry were schnooks, united in a way against their wives, but when Keating came in to play Harry, his character's aloofness and barely concealed contempt created more comic opportunities.

by Anonymousreply 19905/13/2012

Did Ronnie Burns ever do any TV or movies beyond BUrns and Allen?

And please don't tell me to imdb it. I'm also trying to have a DL discussion about Ronnie with his fans.

by Anonymousreply 20005/13/2012

He was on a episode of the "classic 39" Honeymooners -- the one set at a roller skating rink wherein Ralph and Alice try to re-caputure their youth. I've been looking for that episode, but it seems the only Honeymooners currenly in circulation are the "lost" episides culled form the Jackie Gleason show.

Ronnie was also in a movie called Bernadine with Pat Boone and Dick Sargent, and he was in a series with his father that followed B & A called The George Burns Show, which without Gracie lasted only one season.

Nothing much of note.

by Anonymousreply 20105/13/2012

I am *so* thrilled that WKRP is on Sunday nights -- it's the first time I've laughed out loud at TV in a looonng time. Just perfection.

by Anonymousreply 20205/14/2012

Belated thanks to R189 for answering my question.

by Anonymousreply 20305/16/2012

Blanche -- did you enjoy the Lambchops short?

by Anonymousreply 20405/16/2012

Indeed, R204! I just wanted to know the story Gracie told George at the end!

by Anonymousreply 20505/16/2012

Another Burns & Allen question. I saw some episodes a few months ago and they were in their California home with Blanche about two feet away next door. Then I just watched some and the whole cast is living in a Hotel in NY? What was the reason they all moved to NY? Anyone know?

by Anonymousreply 20606/01/2012

The show was set at New York's St. Moritz Hotel for Season six (Oct. 1955 to Sept. 1956, 40 episodes), the reason being Harry Morton had a big accounting client and they all went to New York with him.

This season introduced Ronnie Burns as their teenaged son, opening up lots of new plotlines involving the New York theater scene, acting classes, Central Park, waiters, bellhops, hat check girls, hotel guests, social clubs and Rumpelmayer's restaurant, where many comical scenes were played.

by Anonymousreply 20706/01/2012

I don't think Barney Miller is on Antenna TV yet or if it will be, but does anyone recall Wojo (played by Max Gail) on that show? I was seriously hot and bothered by his ass and desperately wanted to work it for all it was worth--slap it up, flip it, rub it down........ From pics I've seen recently Max Gail turned into a very balding old troll but did have it going on back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 20807/26/2012

Max Gail will be appearing in the new Jackie Robinson movie - scheduled for release next year - as Jackie's Brooklyn Dodger manager.

by Anonymousreply 20907/26/2012

Love "Adam 12" and "Dragnet" and Suspense Theater on Sat. nites, could do without the dull "It Takes A Thief", 'though!

by Anonymousreply 21007/26/2012

For r208, an entire DataLounge thread devoted to Max Gail

by Anonymousreply 21107/26/2012

I keep waiting for Officers Malloy and Reed to start making out while on patrol.

by Anonymousreply 21207/26/2012

I'm enjoying "That Girl" on MeTV.

by Anonymousreply 21307/27/2012

Suspense Theater is pretty good -- different stories every week, and in color!

by Anonymousreply 21407/27/2012

OP is too poor to afford cable.

by Anonymousreply 21507/27/2012

I wish DirectTV would pick up channels like this, too!

by Anonymousreply 21607/27/2012

I'm r208. I don't know if I had a touch of ESP or not but I saw an ad on Antenna TV that said Barney Miller is going to be on in September. I'd like to screw Max Gail's ass but it' kind of a drag wading through all the Barney Miller boredom just waiting for scenes that show his ass. While I'm on the subject of nice asses on Antenna TV, does anybody know anything about the actors who composed McHale's crew on McHale's Navy? I looked some of them up on Wikipedia but I lose track of who's who. I'm pretty sure a couple of them are dead now. Two or three of the crew actors had fine fuckable, spankable asses back then. Too bad they didn't have a "McHale's navy guys cross the equator" episode--maybe they would have shown those nice asses in navy pants getting whacked with pieces of old firehose. The guy in the crew with the southern accent was a particularly fine specimen. Wasn't this about the time Ernest Borgnine married Ethel Merman for 5 minutes? And whatever happened to their love child Varla Jean?!!!

by Anonymousreply 21707/30/2012

After watching WKRP on Sundays, I can't stop singing the theme song for at least a day after.

by Anonymousreply 21807/30/2012

R114, the episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents that features Joel Crothers airs again tonight.

by Anonymousreply 21908/22/2012

Emergency is going to be on ME-TV

Bobby Troup!

Julie London!

by Anonymousreply 22008/26/2012

MeTv is showing the very first "Leave It To Beaver" episodes and boy Tony Dow was awful, so stiff and shouting his lines. Eventually he grew into a fine actor with tons of personality. You could see what they saw in a baby Jerry Mathers though, a terrific little pro from the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 22108/28/2012

OMG !!! IT's Robert Conrad as James West on on ME TV !! And he's just now fallen into a pond and an alligator is swimming after him. Hooray ! 3:00 p.m. (Central)

by Anonymousreply 22209/06/2012

Final score: James West 1 the alligator 0. And who's the tiger lady?

by Anonymousreply 22309/06/2012

And now --

COZI TV.

NBC enters the retro TV game with reruns of Ozzie and Harriet, the Lone Ranger, Lassie, Magnum PI, Charlie's Angels and more...

by Anonymousreply 22412/21/2012

Kent McCord was just one of the hottest fucking things on two legs. Ever. Tall and lean. Couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag though.

by Anonymousreply 22512/21/2012

Yeah, COZI TV. I noticed they will be playing "Alias Smith & Jones". I used to love that show and was so bummed when Pete Duel killed himself. So handsome and Ben Murphy looked just like Paul Newman, so much so that years later he was cast in the prequel to Butch Cassidy.

They'll also be showing Petticoat Junction and Beverly Hillbillies. They also have really older stuff like Timmy and Lassie, and the Lone Ranger. I even saw something about an old tv show Betty White starred in ages before Sue Ann Nivens.

One weird thing...they've been airing some things that don't actually fill the screen. Not letterboxing but it's as if the sides of the screen were squeezed in. It's channel 109 on Cablevision in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 22612/23/2012

I will not pay for cable or satellite, but I have MeTV and THIS network on over-the-air so far. I sure hope that the local stations will put on these being described. Most of them do not use sub-channels so far. The CW affiliate puts on Retro part time. I haven't seen "Magnum P I" in a long time, and I always got off watching it, because I can't watch the young Selleck without fucking him in my mind.

by Anonymousreply 22712/23/2012

Edie McClurg was on a great "WKRP" tonite done documentary style

Anne Francis & Robert Horton did a sexy clever turn in "Hooked" on Hitchcock Presents. They were both very hot.

Leonard Frey ("Boys in the Band") & Linda Lavin have showed up on the interesting and funny "Barney Miller"

Eve Arden looked sexy and lesbionic on "Maude" - love this channel

by Anonymousreply 22812/24/2012

On Alfred Hitchcock": Barbara Bel Geddes in a precursor to "Psycho" about a man obsessed with his dead mother

The Joel Carothers beach house fratboy prank that turns deadly is fun and was directed by someone famous.

Sexy hairy Burt Reynolds and hot Harry Dean Stanton in a desert kidnapping tale was on last night. Harry was billed as Dean Stanton.

by Anonymousreply 22912/24/2012

"Soap" is ending its cycle on Antenna TV. I'm not sure if they will be reairing it right away or wait a few months and put something else on in its place. I liked the show on its original run on ABC and some episodes are still good on reruns but I don't think I'm going to watch the entire run of the show so early again.

by Anonymousreply 23012/24/2012

R13 - Maybe the Eldergay comment is because of the commercials?

I watched a Monkee's marathon after Davy Jones died in February of this year. I've since moved and no longer get Antenna TV but I remember many of the commercials were directed towards, how shall I put it, "the older generation". Life insurance, those emergency devices for elders (gay and straight) who fall and can't get up, etc.

by Anonymousreply 23112/24/2012

I find the commercials funny but they pulled the "I will cut down on bread, beer, wine & soda, but I will not give up LIfe Alert" lady. And of course there are too few of them and they get nauseating after they're repeated. But I like the programming so it's worth the ads.

by Anonymousreply 23212/24/2012

I recently came across CoziTV last week. Their selection is not that great to me. They had this show called "Date with the Angels" listed that I'd never heard of so, I tuned in. It was a very bland 50's sitcom with a young Betty White. I was surprised to see Nancy Kulp (Beverly Hillbillies) and the guy who played Mel on the Dick Van Dyke show were costars in it. I checked out a few minutes of Ozzie & Harriet, but it was so unfunny I bailed.

Today they had a block of "Here's Lucy". I caught one that had Carol Burnett in it.

by Anonymousreply 23312/27/2012

So far Cozi kinda sucks. Every time I turn to it, Highway to Heaven is showing. Boring

I like MeTv sometimes. They have been showing Remington Steele...but it will be replaced by Bewitched on 1/31.

by Anonymousreply 23412/27/2012

The show I'm really enjoying right now is Bachelor Father. I've seen lots of afternoon repeats of the other shows but Bachelor Father is completely new. Never even heard of the show before. I do love Hazel too.

by Anonymousreply 23512/27/2012

I wish one of the channels would show old variety / music shows (Hullaballoo, etc), even Laugh-In. But please, no more reruns of The Carol Burnett Show.

by Anonymousreply 23612/27/2012

[R236] A cable station called ASPIRE airs reruns of Flip Wilson's variety show.

The network also runs Diahann Carroll in Julia and Bill Cosby in I Spy and The Bill Cosby Show.

by Anonymousreply 23712/28/2012

Speaking of Flip Wilson, why was it supposed to be funny for early TV comedians to do drag skits? Was is just a way to ridicule the GLBTQ community?

by Anonymousreply 23812/29/2012

Love it! Sunday night is devoted to WKRP and Soap.

by Anonymousreply 23912/29/2012

When I first watch these shows I like to Google them. See the years they were on, guest starts, directors, length of the show, things like that. Adam-12 was on for seven fucking years. As hot as Kent was I couldn't believe that. Adam-12 and Dragnet are to of the most boring shows in history.

by Anonymousreply 24012/29/2012

It was amazing how much clout sponsors had so much control in the 50's. I caught a few minutes of Burns & Allen and the Red Skelton show on CoziTV recently. Both of them did these cringe-worthy 'commercials' for this product PET canned milk.

In B&A, Gracie just started talking about the milk while in character in a skit, how good it is, how convenient and nutritious. Skelton was even more embarrassing - he put on a bathrobe in a skit with PET MILK in big letters on the back, then made a quick remark to acknowledge the product. Did they have to find some way to pitch the product in every episode? How exhausting.

I know "I Love Lucy" had Philip Morris cigarettes as a sponsor, but they didn't crowbar ads in like those two other shows.

by Anonymousreply 24101/01/2013

Other than product placement from time to time, most show had one big sponsor and the actors would do a separate commercial outside of the plotline of the show. Such as this one from Bewitched.

by Anonymousreply 24201/01/2013

Agnes of God just started on COZI in LA

by Anonymousreply 24301/02/2013

I watched my first episodes of Maude over the weekend thanks to one of these retro channels. Wow, so strident and preachy. I realize that it's a Norman Mailer show with a point of view but I couldn't imagine tuning in week after week to be lectured at. The cast is great, though, especially Bea, Rue, and Conrad. (I hate the daughter and can only tolerate "Walter".)

by Anonymousreply 24401/02/2013

[quote] I watched my first episodes of Maude over the weekend thanks to one of these retro channels. Wow, so strident and preachy. I realize that it's a Norman Mailer show with a point of view but I couldn't imagine tuning in week after week to be lectured at.

Perhaps you meant Norman Main?

by Anonymousreply 24501/02/2013

[quote]Perhaps you meant Norman Main?

Perhaps you meant Norman Lear?

by Anonymousreply 24601/02/2013

R245 got it, r246.

by Anonymousreply 24701/02/2013

Shame DirecTV doesn't carry it.

by Anonymousreply 24801/02/2013

Maude went to a gay bar tonight. Most embarrassing sitcom episode ever.

by Anonymousreply 24901/03/2013

The theme of "I Dream of Jeannie" is totally different in the first season, but just as in the later seasons, synchs perfectly with the animated credits.

by Anonymousreply 25001/04/2013

R245 and R246 Norman is That You?

by Anonymousreply 25101/05/2013

[quote]Maude went to a gay bar tonight. Most embarrassing sitcom episode ever.

God, I thought I'd seen them all and I don't remember that one. I wonder if it's on Youtube.

by Anonymousreply 25201/05/2013

I love most Maude episodes. The gay bar one was OK considering the time it was made in. Maude's conversation with Arthur was fabulous. You kinda have to put it all in context.

It was an uneven show, to be sure, but some of the episodes are hysterically funny. And the one where Maude has a half hour monologue is priceless.

by Anonymousreply 25301/05/2013

I'm watching it now. Bea, with her new face, delivers her lines with such panache in her gravel voice.

by Anonymousreply 25401/05/2013

"Look Arthur there's one now. Lets go talk to it errr him."

by Anonymousreply 25501/05/2013

[quote] Does anyone know if AntennaTV is owned by WGN in Chicago?

This was asked ages ago, but I'll still answer.

Yes, Virginia, Antenna is WGN's digital channel. It's a channel that, in addition to being carried on cable systems, is also broadcast over the air, so a fair amount of local stations across the country have this as one of their digital channels. (Now stations will have their main channel on one digital channel, say 9.1, and a second station at 9.2, and so on.)

by Anonymousreply 25601/05/2013

Very enjoyable episode and it brings back memories of my liberal Dad and stepmom going with me into the village to a gay bar, along with other members of their "commune." I actually danced with my father and his straight friends in a gay bar back around the time of this episode.

by Anonymousreply 25701/05/2013

This scene is fantastic, especially from 3:15 on. Remember, this is 1977.

The delivery of the Snow White line is priceless.

by Anonymousreply 25801/05/2013

R255, there is no line like that on this episode.

by Anonymousreply 25901/05/2013

"Maude" has aged very well, god I miss Bea. My friend worked with her at Lincoln Center in "The Floating Light Bulb" and his stories are priceless. I have to say that I like the rather unorthodox Adrienne Barbeau, she's not like any other sitcom actress, has a certain sophistication. Why is Antenna showing "The Patty Duke Show" at 3 a.m.? Also Mr. Ed. comes on at 4. Give those two better time slots. And I don't care for the Joely Fisher sitcom "Til Death!" Doesn't fit in with your nostalgia theme, it's too new!

by Anonymousreply 26001/05/2013

[quote]Why is Antenna showing "The Patty Duke Show" at 3 a.m.? Also Mr. Ed. comes on at 4. Give those two better time slots. And I don't care for the Joely Fisher sitcom "Til Death!" Doesn't fit in with your nostalgia theme, it's too new!

Sounds like your provider is splitting one channel between AntennaTV and THiS-TV. THiS airs "The Patty Duke Show" and "Mr. Ed" at those ungodly hours; most of the day they air movies. "Til Death" doesn't air on Antenna, but they were airing episodes of "The Nanny" when the channel launched. I guess they got a lot of complaints, because they yanked the show after a few months.

by Anonymousreply 26101/06/2013

In LA, Earthquake is airing on COZI

by Anonymousreply 26201/06/2013

Til Death airs on my Antenna TV.

by Anonymousreply 26301/06/2013

R261 I think you are thinking of ME-TV. ME, MeToo and THIS are all the same indie channel in Chicago, with similar logos. I think THIS is primarily movies.

For a while ME was all sitcoms and MeToo was all dramas, but I think they keep changing it up.

Antenna is WGN's channel which falls under the Tribune Company's umbrella.

If I remember right, that also dictates their library. I can't remember who was who, but one of them had mostly the Warner/Fox library and the other had Sony/Columbia. Or something like that.

Til Death shouldn't air anywhere, unless it's to be the cure for insomnia!

by Anonymousreply 26401/06/2013

Just scanned a week's schedule for MeTV and Antenna TV which I get full 24 hours a day and neither are showing "Till Death" or " The Patty Duke Show".

by Anonymousreply 26501/06/2013

In LA, 'til Death is on an independent station and Patty Duke is on This TV.

by Anonymousreply 26601/06/2013

Earthquake comes on at 4 am, that ain't gonna work for me.

by Anonymousreply 26701/06/2013

They aired movies on Sat. night instead of "It Takes a Thief" and the marvelous "Alfred Hitchcock Presents." Enjoyed Elliott Gould & Robert Blake in "Busting" and Melanie Griffith & Sean Bean in "Stormy Monday." Really like "Barney Miller" a young thin Linda Lavin was on tonight.

by Anonymousreply 26801/06/2013

On Cablevision in Bx/Bklyn Till Death airs where they used to air The Partridge Family. Really now, Till Death should not be on...anywhere!

I guess they think since Brad and Joely fit into the age bracket they are trying to reach, that we'd all stay and watch. The show was not a hit by any stretch and has no iconic value. TPF may not have been the best sitcom ever but it makes more sense to bring it back.

I wanna see the ep where Tony Geary plays a priest!

by Anonymousreply 26901/09/2013

Attn: "Boys in the Band" fans - the Leonard Frey "Barney Miller" episode is fantastic. He sings in it!

by Anonymousreply 27001/09/2013

Shirley Jones is such a sweetie on that show and such a good role model. And I love David Cassidy's outfits and hair...yum, such a shame the way he's turned out. The state of him! I do like some of their songs, too.

Wish they'd bring back "Karen" with Deborah Walley and the "Mothers in Law", "Good Guys", "It's About Time", "Get Smart", "Family Affair", "Petticoat Junction", "Beverly Hillbillies" - so many more...oh "The Cara Williams Show"

by Anonymousreply 27101/09/2013

I enjoyed the programs on Saturaday and Sunday evening. Now you have changed the entire schdule, week days and week-ends. I no longer look forward to the programs I liked. Elder person.

by Anonymousreply 27201/13/2013

Cozzi is now on Time Warner in NY.

by Anonymousreply 27301/16/2013

R240, Antenna made me an Adam 12 addict this past summer and I ran out and bought all 7 seasons on DVD. Yes, partly for Kent McCord who was hot to look at throughout the series run. But I also like the show for the LA location shots, especially Seasons 3-7 when more and more they filmed on location rather than the Universal back lot. Also the mix of incidents from serious crimes to more humorous encounters with citizens. Sure the show was propaganda for the LAPD, but it did a pretty decent job of conveying the day to day duties for LAPD patrol officers of the time and how ordinary and mundane such work can be. Also, while McCord and Marty Millner are not great actors, they worked well together and it was nice to see how Malloy and Reed's relationship evolved from mentor/rookie to a genuine partnership. And of course it bears repeating, but Kent McCord is true eye candy.

by Anonymousreply 27401/25/2013

R271 "Hillbillies" and "Junction" are on MeTV back-to-back every morning. They also ran "Family Affair," "Get Smart" and "The Mothers-in-Law" for a long time last year. Some of the others you mentioned only ran for one season so they probably aren't available for syndication (although "Gidget," which also ran for only one season, is on Antenna.)

by Anonymousreply 27501/25/2013

Antenna TV just aired the infamous "what did you say nigger" episode. I watched it to see how much they would edit out. To their credit they ran it as is without any cut. That's cool because it was one of the funniest episodes it TV sitcom history.

by Anonymousreply 27601/25/2013

Here's a short clip from the episode. Esther owned that one. Fucking hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 27701/25/2013

I found a bigger clip. It was from Sanford and Son(forgot to say that). The episode was called Mama's Baby, Papa's Maybe. Fucking classic.

by Anonymousreply 27801/26/2013

I agree r272, I looked forward to watching "The Three Stooges" on Saturday night and now they're showing crappy movies instead.

by Anonymousreply 27901/26/2013

I like the sit-coms, but the station cuts movies to ribbons...

by Anonymousreply 28001/26/2013

I liked the episodes of Adam-12 where they would come face to face with the counterculture. There was one where two hippies were fighting because they lived in a commune but were at odds with each other. I remember another which had a guy wearing a big button which read "Legalize Pot".

by Anonymousreply 28101/26/2013

Adam-12 Hippie: Hey Man! You're not groovy!

Adam-12 Cop: Yeah, pal. Tell it to the judge.

by Anonymousreply 28201/26/2013

I have Time Warner (upstate NY) and don't have this channel, but would enjoy it.

For the love of god, there are new channels added all the time for sports/ foreign language/ advertising / and even religion. Antenna and WE sound pretty good in comparison.

Why would TWC add the network in NYC but not elsewhere?

by Anonymousreply 28301/26/2013

There was one episode where a hippie chick was flirting with Malloy and Reed. It would have been such a breakthrough in television if they wound up in a threesome.

by Anonymousreply 28401/26/2013

R283 I don't know how good your over-the-air signal is, but most of these channels are on local broadcast stations (digital subchannels.) So if you have good reception with rabbit ears or a rooftop antenna, you can get them for free without using cable. (I have cable and can get Antenna, but not MeTV, which I watch with rabbit ears. But I'm in a major metropolitan area where I can get decent over-the-air reception.)

by Anonymousreply 28501/26/2013

I always thought FliP was gay.

by Anonymousreply 28601/26/2013

[quote]There was one episode where a hippie chick was flirting with Malloy and Reed. It would have been such a breakthrough in television if they wound up in a threesome.

If remade today, I'm sure they would have

by Anonymousreply 28701/26/2013

Antenna is now showing the season 1 eps of Adam 12, at least on weekends 6-7 Eastern. Officer Reed is such a puppy dog next to Malloy...Kent is adorable playing the eager beaver who's also afraid of Malloy's disapproval.

by Anonymousreply 28801/26/2013

I wanted to screw Martin Milner's ass back then.

by Anonymousreply 28901/27/2013

Every party the cops broke up or the Dragnet detectives appeared was playing the same music.

by Anonymousreply 29001/27/2013

I wish Cozi would fix their aspect ratio. Maybe it will not matter because they seem to have a lot of paid programming now.

by Anonymousreply 29101/27/2013

Yeah, what's the story with Cozi? That picture is wack!

by Anonymousreply 29201/27/2013

Rock on!

Spring Byington on Dennis the Menace!

by Anonymousreply 29301/30/2013

I saw Spring, too!

by Anonymousreply 29401/30/2013

MeTV and Antenna TV are subsidaries of local networks, so if a local ABC, CBS or NBC wanted to pick these up they could.

by Anonymousreply 29501/30/2013

R295 "Subsidiaries of local networks"? What does that even mean? They're programming services that local stations can subscribe to.

Did anyone see today's first Dragnet? They were trying to recruit more minorities to the LAPD, including "Orientals and Negroes." Ah, memories ...

by Anonymousreply 29601/30/2013

"Dragnet" is almost always about drugs! Same with Adam-12, but I love them both for the guest stars, fashions and location shots. A young pretty Cloris Leachman was on last weekend. I don't like the programming on Sat. nights, it was good with Alfred Hitchcock on for a couple hours, but then they started showing too many "It Takes A Thief" (which is not very good) and now it's movies.

by Anonymousreply 29701/30/2013

"Occasional Wife", "Love on a Rooftop", "The Cara Williams Show", "The Good Guys" - just off the top of my head.

by Anonymousreply 29801/30/2013

Most of those shows didn't run long enough to be candidates for syndication.

by Anonymousreply 29901/30/2013

MeTV is doing a Donna Reed mini-marathon as this weeks' Sunday Showcase, with commentary from Paul Petersen.

by Anonymousreply 30001/30/2013

Well if they can show "Gidget" which only ran one season, why can't they for the other ones I named? Don't get it, they were all primetime network series.

by Anonymousreply 30101/30/2013

I think "Gidget" is the exception for two reasons: One, Sally Field, who obviously became a huge star in later years. Two: They can pair it with "The Flying Nun," which ran for three years and has the same star.

I'm just speculating; I have no idea what the actual reason is.

by Anonymousreply 30201/30/2013

To bad Gidget wasn't a bigger hit. For its genre it's fucking brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 30301/30/2013

Plus Don Porter was kind of a hot daddy, and Pete Deuel (before he became "Duel") was a cutie. Not to mention all of the various surfers.

Speaking of the late Mr. Duel/Deuel: On one of today's Adam-12s, there was an actor that I sort of recognized but couldn't place. (He was playing a student activist who places a bomb in a university building.) Come the closing credits, and I see that it's someone named "Geoffrey Deuel." I guess he was Pete's brother-- they definitely looked alike. Also a coincidence: Cozi was showing "Alias Smith and Jones" at the same time!

by Anonymousreply 30401/30/2013

Damn hippies!

by Anonymousreply 30501/30/2013

The funniest part was during the sit-in at the university, where the students were shouting "No, no, we won't go!" I was around in that era and NEVER heard anyone say anything but "HELL no, we won't go!" But of course our tender little ears couldn't hear the "h" word on national television in the late '60s!

by Anonymousreply 30601/30/2013

When reruns of Gidget aired in the summer, the ratings shot up. By then, ABC already cancelled the series. The network felt it was too late to reverse its decision. Soon after, The Flying Nun was developed as a vehicle for Sally Field.

by Anonymousreply 30701/31/2013

The original Dragnet was really good early B&W TV, but Dragnet '68 et al was awful. Just a preachy, anti-drug, pro-police-state, pro-Vietnam propaganda effort. The original series was before my time, but I grew up watching it in syndication where it was called "Badge 714".

by Anonymousreply 30801/31/2013

I'd stay up half the night to watch Combat and 12 O'Clock High.

I'd rather see the obscure series vs yet another airing of I Love Lucy or Maude.

by Anonymousreply 30901/31/2013

[quote]There was a bizarre episode of The Monkees over the weekend. It was basically the boys running around France being chased by a group of girls while every once in a while small snippets of their music would play. There were a couple of scenes where they were cornered by the girls who then proceeded to rip off their clothes.

Funny -- in France, Beatlemania was all about the BOYS screaming and running after the band. I guess the Monkees weren't up to that.

by Anonymousreply 31001/31/2013

[quote]Combat and 12 O'Clock High.

Combat got weird in that it separated into two shows -- one starring Vic Morrow and the other starring Ric Jason.

For us, the star of 12 O'Clock High is the B-17, especially after they offed General Savage. My favorite are not the Command 101 episodes (though they are so well done, they were(are) used by the academies, OSC, and ROTC) but the technical episodes where they have to continuously update tactics to counter Nazi strategy.

What's odd now in the 2010s is how the Germans are portrayed as humans with their own problems. Overall, they come off badly, but they are not the malicious cartoons we see in recent portrayals of Nazis -- or any enemy.

Also, there was one episode about the SOE where Col. Gallagher is horrified by the brutality of the Nazis spies and the SOE agent reminds him that she is the same way.

Watching all these old 50s-60s-and some 70s shows is a course on free speech and how TV used to openly explore some very tense topics.

by Anonymousreply 31101/31/2013

Combat was great. I got that off of Netflix. Watching Gidget and The Flying Nun it is easy to see that Sally was going to be a star. If you have fond memories of the Flying Nun and get the DVDs from Netflix don't watch the bonus materials. It will kill it for you. All the stars do is talk about how each and everyone of them, especially Sally, hated doing the show.

by Anonymousreply 31202/01/2013

[quote] If you have fond memories of the Flying Nun and get the DVDs from Netflix don't watch the bonus materials. It will kill it for you. All the stars do is talk about how each and everyone of them, especially Sally, hated doing the show.

Some of it was too fey, but most was fun.

Too bad they suffered...

by Anonymousreply 31302/01/2013

Leave It To Beaver all-day marathon today

by Anonymousreply 31404/28/2013

R314 As posted elsewhere, this is Beaver's AntennaTV swan song. It moves to MeTV on May 6, along with Adam-12 and Dragnet.

by Anonymousreply 31504/28/2013

Watching as we speak. I don't get ME so bye Beav.

by Anonymousreply 31604/28/2013

This question may be apt for more older guys but does anyone remember the show in its initial run? I would swear there are episodes which have never been rerun.

by Anonymousreply 31704/28/2013

I'm old enough to remember its original run (at least the later episodes.) I've never seen the pilot, which had a different Wally and Ward, and featured Harry Shearer as one of Beaver's pals.

by Anonymousreply 31804/28/2013

I don't remember the pilot either but I do the series. I remember Beaver and Miss Crabtree, in character I think, would do commercials for Purina Dog Chow during the show. I do think some might be missing. I'll bet they did holiday shows that never seen. However when I had Netflix I watched on there and it was the same episodes we get here so maybe not.

by Anonymousreply 31904/28/2013

I love watching old sitcoms and am sorry that TVLand doesn't show them the way it used to. So I was happy when I got Antenna TV and thrilled when I finally got MeTV. But I find myself enjoyed the old shows less and less and feeling kinda down every time I watch them.

Then I realized I just could not watch one more commercial for funeral insurance, cancer hospitals, prostate pills, emergency call pendants, etc. etc. etc.

by Anonymousreply 32004/28/2013

Antenna TV dropped the popular 'Bachelor Father' program from its new 2015 schedule. The cable channel often drops programs from their active schedule, only to return them at a later date. Some programs are dropped and never return. Bachelor Father fans get the shaft because the program is not on DVD and on air is about the only way to see it.

by Anonymousreply 32112/23/2014

R321 AntennaTV is not a "cable channel."

by Anonymousreply 32212/23/2014

We have Retro TV. Old movies and TVSeries. You can get this channel without subscribing to cable.

by Anonymousreply 32312/23/2014

Why can't stations ever get uncut versions of these TV shows?

by Anonymousreply 32412/23/2014

R323 You can get Antenna, MeTV, MOVIES! and getTV without cable, too, because THEY'RE NOT CABLE CHANNELS!

by Anonymousreply 32512/23/2014
Need more help? Click Here.