Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Dolly Parton apologizes for properly claiming ownership of song

Whitney covered it but Dolly wrote it. It's HER song.

by Anonymousreply 22012/07/2012

I never heard of this song until Whitney did it.

by Anonymousreply 102/17/2012

She shouldn't have had to apologize. It IS her song. If she really did receive a backlash for saying so, those people need to get a grip. I was upset about Whitney dying too, but I saw absolutely nothing wrong or inappropriate with what Dolly said.

by Anonymousreply 302/17/2012

The song was in Best Little Whore House in Texas.

by Anonymousreply 502/17/2012

It goes back even before that, R5. Parton originally recorded it in the early 70s. You can hear it in 1974's "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore" in the background.

by Anonymousreply 602/17/2012

Isn't TMZ trying to make much ado about nothing?

by Anonymousreply 702/17/2012

It's Dolly's song ... But she is the epitome of a grand lady and chose to smooth ruffled -- though ignorant -- feathers.

I love her all the more for it.

by Anonymousreply 802/17/2012

Hey Harvey, Dolly doesn't have to 'eat her words", it IS her song. Now you can eat shit.

by Anonymousreply 902/17/2012

Well, she gets the royalties.

by Anonymousreply 1002/17/2012

Dolly Parton is one of the principal beneficiaries of Houston's death:

"Whitney Houston's death means millions for Dolly Parton"

by Anonymousreply 1102/17/2012

Dolly didn't always hit the high notes. She wrote this and performed it after breaking up with Porter Waggoner?!

by Anonymousreply 1202/17/2012

Dolly Parton refused to let Elvis Presley sing the song

by Anonymousreply 1302/17/2012

Not true, R13. She refused Col. Parker's demand for royalty rights for Elvis if he sung it.

Elvis could have recorded it anytime but Parker wouldn't let him because he wouldn't get a piece of the pie.

by Anonymousreply 1402/17/2012

Original recording

by Anonymousreply 1502/17/2012

R13, she refused to sell the rights of the song to Elvis. She would have been more than happy to let him sing it, but he would only do it if she sold it to him.

by Anonymousreply 1602/17/2012

[quote] She refused Col. Parker's demand for royalty rights for Elvis if he sung it.

Greedy bitch

by Anonymousreply 1702/17/2012

r17 = Lisa Marie Presley

by Anonymousreply 1802/17/2012

As always, Dolly is gracious, sweet, talented and very, very smart.

by Anonymousreply 1902/17/2012

She didn't apologize.

by Anonymousreply 2002/17/2012

No, Whitney made her money off Dolly Parton's songwriting talent. and snorted it away. You should crawl into a corner and eat your own testicles, you retard, R21.

by Anonymousreply 2202/17/2012

I remember reading a long time ago that Whitney snubbed Dolly by saying, "It took me to make it a hit," and Dolly undoubtedly taking it like a lady and laughing all the way to the bank.

by Anonymousreply 2302/17/2012

Whitney's overblown bellowing version was a horror. She had no concept of the real meaning. It was just something to shout, yell, and screech.

Dolly Parton sang it. Linda Ronstadt sang it. Whitney Houston screamed it.

by Anonymousreply 2402/17/2012

Dolly offered a thoughtful condolence about Whitney's death and for this [italic]she[/italic] needs to shut up?

by Anonymousreply 2502/17/2012

Girls! Girls! You both were sort of pretty once.

by Anonymousreply 2602/17/2012

It's not even Dolly's best song. If Whitney had managed to do a convincing version of "Jolene," then maybe I'd have more admiration for her. Great singers can sing anything and make it their own.

by Anonymousreply 2702/17/2012

As is the case with so many things - including song covers - each version is enjoyable - different arrangments, somewhat different approaches, definately different voices - both very entertaining - what's to argue? (I would proabably also enjoy Pet Shop Boys, Willie Nelson, Nina Simone, Judy Garland, Bill Haley, Buddy Holly, Pavarotti...oh yeah, Elvis, and many more covers - the beat goes on.)

by Anonymousreply 2802/17/2012

[quote]Greed, nothing but pure greed from Dolly to deny Elvis from recording that song.

Why should Elvis get writer's royalties for a song he didn't write? I think the greed was on the other side of that table.

by Anonymousreply 3002/17/2012

Pure greed on Elvis' part to demand ownership rights to a song he did not write.

by Anonymousreply 3102/17/2012

The really greedy person here is Col. Tom Parker. He really had some gumption demanding that she sell the song. He probably thought he could pull a fast one on the little lady. I also think he thought he could do this without Elvis's knowledge while he was in his drug-addled fog and pocket the ownership proceeds.

by Anonymousreply 3402/17/2012

[quote]No one would've heard this song if it weren't for Whitney

Actually the MILLIONS of people who saw "Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" heard the song the way it should be sung. Only someone who has no ear for music would think Whitney's screaming and shrieking of this song was something to remember. It's pathetic that her fans remember her for a song that she shouted instead of sang -- a song that didn't belong to her.

by Anonymousreply 3602/17/2012

Whitney may have taken it to #1 once, but Dolly did it twice, in 1974 and 1982 plus she wrote it, so she has nothing to apologize for at all. But she is a classy lady.

by Anonymousreply 3702/17/2012

I agree, Whitney was singing that song to HERSELF in the MIRROR. She didn't do it justice at all.

That it was a big hit makes no difference. People are stupid, and they lap up self-congratulatory diva singing.

by Anonymousreply 3802/17/2012

Morons like R35 should not be allowed to post here until they can pass a 5th grade intelligence test.

Elvis would only record the song if he got full credit for writing the song, r35. How could Dolly get a writing Grammy if Elvis recorded it and had his name on it as the writer?

Damn, you're stoooooooooooooopid!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3902/17/2012

Check out this Westboro Church shit. They changed the words to "I Will Always Love You" to "God Will Always Hate You". I wish Dolly would sue the shit out of them. These fuckers are unbelievable. I wish someone would just wipe them out. They are so disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 4102/17/2012

[quote]singing that song to HERSELF

YES! It always bothered me in "I Wanna Dance" that she never changed the lyric on the line at the end ("Dontcha YOU wanna dance with some body who loves MEEEEE!"). Shouldn't she be asking the listener if they want to dance with someone who loves them (which would YOU - the listener) rather than Whitney (MEEE!)?

by Anonymousreply 4202/17/2012

Well, The Greatest Love of All is self-love.

by Anonymousreply 4302/17/2012

[quote]I wish Dolly would sue the shit out of them.

Parody is Fair Use, and protected by judicial precedent and First Dolly couldn't begin to sue over this.

If they sold singles and made money off it, that's a different story.

by Anonymousreply 4402/17/2012

Interesting, it seems like something DL would do.

by Anonymousreply 4502/17/2012

R42, marry me, that has bothered me for years. I happened across the original demo for that song, which was written by the pop group Boy Meets Girl, and that section is not in the demo, so it was indeed a construct of Houston and her producer. It is just incredibly sloppy.

by Anonymousreply 4602/17/2012

So do you guys think Elvis would have sung a better version?

by Anonymousreply 4802/17/2012

[quote]I'll always remember and love Whitney's version.

You mean the "screaming and wailing" version?

by Anonymousreply 4902/17/2012

Dolly's is better, and she's actually a songwriter.

by Anonymousreply 5002/17/2012

Bitch @ whoever dissed Dolly upthread - PLEASE!

The ONLY reason Whitney took it to #1 was because of The Bodyguard. THAT'S IT.

Without the movie it would have done well but not stayed on the charts for so long. And it couldn't have happened if Miss Parton hadn't written such incredibly moving lyrics AND the fucking melody.

by Anonymousreply 5102/17/2012

Yeah, Whitney's version was nothing more than screaming and wailing.

Whitney's "singing" was nothing more than vocal gymnastics. And most people have bad taste, so they ate it up.

by Anonymousreply 5202/17/2012

[quote]Parody is Fair Use, and protected by judicial precedent and First Dolly couldn't begin to sue over this.

Couldn't it be argued that what Westboro was doing wasn't parody?

by Anonymousreply 5302/17/2012

Elvis was a song thief. I saw a video of Ed Sullivan talking to Elvis on the air and forcing him to admit that he didn't write "Love Me Tender."

For anyone who knew music, they knew it was adapted from the tune of "Aura Lee" (or "Aura Lea"), a sentimental Civil War ballad.

The song lyrics are credited to Presley and Vera Matson because of the publishing agreement reached for the assignment of royalties, but the principal writer of the lyrics was Ken Darby (Matson's husband). The song was published by Elvis Presley Music.

Darby also adapted the Civil War tune, which was in the public domain. When asked why he credited his wife as co-songwriter along with Presley, Darby responded, "Because she didn't write it either."

by Anonymousreply 5402/17/2012

Presley received co-songwriting credit due to his Hill & Range publishing deal which demanded songwriters concede at least 50 percent of the credit of their song if they wanted Presley to record it; Presley never wrote any of his own songs.

by Anonymousreply 5502/17/2012

This is a fun smack-down. Who's side are you on, the dead Pitiful Pearl Houston or the talented and classy Big Tits Parton?

I don't really see a contest here, but those with so little to feel good about will surely choose Pitiful Pearl and those who know better will support Big Tits.

by Anonymousreply 5602/17/2012

That's a great story R54.

by Anonymousreply 5702/17/2012

When Richard Chamberlain put out a recording of "Love Me Tender" in 1962, the composers were listed as Elvis Presley and Vera Matson, yet neither one wrote the song.

by Anonymousreply 5802/17/2012

Come on, Whitney's version isn't all yelling & screaming as many of you claim. The parts where she's not singing at full throttle are actually beautiful & tender. And when she cranks it up, it's unbelievable that someone can sing like that. She did an amazing job on a beautifully written song.

But that's not what this is about. Everyone is getting off topic. For as great as Whitney's version is, it's still not her song. Dolly has every right to refer to it as her own song because it is and anyone to give her shit about that is a complete idiot.

by Anonymousreply 6002/17/2012

I love Dolly and Whitney!!!!

by Anonymousreply 6102/17/2012

Is the Star Spangled Banner Whitney's song now too? She made it a hit on Billboard....twice! So I suppose we can credit Francis Scott Key & Whitney Houston for giving us our national anthem. I'm glad we cleared that up.

by Anonymousreply 6202/17/2012

Dolly took it to number 1 in 1974 and 1982. In 1995 she and Vince Gill sang it as a duet and it peaked at number 15.

It's Dolly's song and she should not have had to apologize, especially after the nice things she said the day that Whitney died.

She is class personified and apologized just to make the rift go away.

by Anonymousreply 6402/17/2012

by Anonymousreply 6502/17/2012

Did Al Sharpton and the NAACP make her apologize?

by Anonymousreply 6602/17/2012

Oh God and allowed.

by Anonymousreply 6702/17/2012

[quote]I bet they wouldn't say that about Adam Lambert who is the biggest screecher of all.

You lose the bet.

by Anonymousreply 6802/17/2012

[quote]You know what [R59], you just proved my point. You go in a thread that isn't mean for you, it's meant for gay African Americans dataloungers to interact with one another. The fact that you posted something from that thread in this thread shows just how entitled you are. We are not aloud to have anything for ourselves. And I stand by what I said.

Don't assume my heritage. And I wasn't posting against what you said.

by Anonymousreply 6902/17/2012

[quote] No one would've heard this song if it weren't for Whitney

That is simply not true.

by Anonymousreply 7002/17/2012

R69, when you wrote this above my post:

"Kindly be attentive to other peoples feelings and your own prejudices when bitching Whitney."

I thought you were addressing me. Thanks for clearing that up. I was a bit heated about it. I apologize for my comments.

by Anonymousreply 7102/17/2012

I actually think this is TMZ just stirring up shit. Who got upset over what Dolly said? Whitney's been dead almost a week now and NOT ONCE have I heard one person, celebrity or otherwise, voice any kind of resentment or displeasure over Dolly's original statement (chiefly because she didn't say anything wrong).

by Anonymousreply 7202/17/2012

Dolly is so exceedingly boggles the mind. Love that woman.

by Anonymousreply 7302/17/2012

Oh good Lord. They are both wonderful versions of the song, but undoubtedly Whitney's is now the standard. Whitney's version also set the bar for an incredibly difficult song to sing, that only a handful of people on earth can do any kind of justice.

IWALY is on the short list of most enduring pop songs ever. Whitney did something legendary with a pleasant, if average, country song. And Dolly took it to the bank. Over and over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 7402/17/2012

I actually teared up a bit when I read Dolly's original quote about Whitney's death:

"Mine is only one of the millions of hearts broken over the death of Whitney Houston. I will always be grateful and in awe of the wonderful performance she did on my song, and I can truly say from the bottom of my heart, ‘Whitney, I will always love you. You will be missed.’"

In addition to being a wholly accurate statement, it's a beautiful one.

by Anonymousreply 7502/17/2012

Can't add much to what r74 said.

by Anonymousreply 7602/17/2012

Have there been any estimates on how much money Dolly has made from the song? A couple million?

I'm guessing it's not as much as people think. She probably only gets a penny every time the song is played.

by Anonymousreply 7702/17/2012

[quote]Dolly is so exceedingly boggles the mind. Love that woman.

She has good manners. Despite her background, she's not trash -- someone must have raised her right.

by Anonymousreply 7802/17/2012

How can anybody honestly believe that Whitney's version of this song is fucking LEGENDARY?

That kind of shit just boggles my mind.

Whitney murdered IWALY. She raped and pillaged and plundered and massacred that beautiful song. SHE FUCKED IT UP, people.

So fuck ALL of you who think her version is "legendary". You make me sick. You don't even know the meaning of the word, assholes.

You don't know SHIT about SHIT.

by Anonymousreply 7902/17/2012

Actually I was posting it about the forum direction at that point. I was quoting your post to make posters aware of themselves. I do not see how talking about posters bitching Whitney you thought I was talking about you, so sorry if you did. Black British, so not welcome on African American DL either, thanks for that. Didn't feel entitled anyway. DL really is anti anything American.

by Anonymousreply 8002/17/2012

The song reentered the Billboard Hot 100 at #7 this week.

by Anonymousreply 8102/17/2012

Hang tough Dolly. I felt the same way when Frank stole New York New York.

by Anonymousreply 8202/17/2012

r79,Go back to bed,dear.

by Anonymousreply 8302/17/2012

I actually think that there are many terrific versions of this song, each one completely different from the others, each one valid. Parton's is tremulous and heartbreaking, Ronstadt's is strong and defiant, Houston's is powerful and totally in keeping with the film it is from. Hell, even in the film itself, the song is introduced to her character by listening to John Doe's throaty and touching version. So in the end, it is a classic piece of song writing, and that honor goes to Miss Parton. It is her song, plain and simple, and anyone who sang it sang HER song, as Judy Garland sang Harold Arlen's song, as Sinatra sang Kander and Ebb's song, etc.

by Anonymousreply 8402/17/2012

R80, I'm pretty sure that you'd be welcome in the African American thread. If I'm welcome I'm sure you would be too. Maybe the title should be changed and replace Americans with diaspora so that blacks who aren't American won't feel unwelcome. I don't know, I guess I thought "bitching Whitney" was bitching about Whitney as in ranting on about Whitney or something. Anyway, it was a misunderstanding.

by Anonymousreply 8502/17/2012

R83, you get points for being thoroughly unoriginal and pathetic, dear.

by Anonymousreply 8602/17/2012

[quote]Dolly could have won a songwriting Grammy if Elvis recorded the song. But she was too cheap to part with it.

I'm not even sure what that post is trying to say, but if Dolly refused to let Elvis and his people take the royalty rights to HER song for whatever they offered to pay her off, she was taking a stand for her own work, right?

Dolly made a smart choice, having no idea what would happen later; it paid off big. If she had been able to see the future, she would have said something like "I'm just so sorry to say no, Elvis baby. In a few years my song is gonna be a classic, honey, and it won't be because of you. I'll just keep it and see what happens, you big demanding superstar man you"

by Anonymousreply 8702/17/2012

"Whitney did something legendary with a pleasant, if average, country song."

Actually, from what I can hear, she ripped off Dolly's song but Linda Ronstadt's arrangement. She basically just amped it up with a few tricks.

Her arrangement is worlds away from Dolly's but not far from Linda's.

by Anonymousreply 8802/17/2012

I'm not particularly a fan of his, but I can see where Elvis might have done a good version of it.

by Anonymousreply 8902/17/2012

They weren't offering to pay her off. They expected her to feel honored that Elvis would sing her song and claim he wrote it.

Dolly didn't have a lot of schooling, but she's been damn good at making the right business deals. She's also donated millions of dollars for books to be given to children. It's a massive program that she and her people set up.

by Anonymousreply 9002/17/2012

I love Dolly, and her version, but why is everyone saying that Whitney had no talent and "screamed"? Do people say that Joe Cocker, Bob Dylan, or Janis Joplen are not talented because they did not sing in a standard boring tone?

by Anonymousreply 9102/17/2012

you are correct r80

I just saw on 20/20 that Whitney practiced with Linda's version, before singing it for the movie.

by Anonymousreply 9202/17/2012

The Dollywood Foundation is the organizational body that oversees the Imagination Library, a free book distribution program started by Dolly in 1996. The program is based at her Dollywood theme park. When she started it, every child in Sevier County, Tennessee, the area where she was born and raised, was eligible to receive a free age appropriate book every month in the mail until the age of five.

Her program has since expanded to over 1600 local communities in the US, Canada, and the United Kingdom. The program can be implemented in other communities by private organizations, and Dolly's Foundation is responsible for the distribution of books in those participating communities.

by Anonymousreply 9302/17/2012

Did Whitney ever write a song?

by Anonymousreply 9402/17/2012

Whitney and Elvis wrote the same number of songs.

by Anonymousreply 9502/17/2012

"I never heard of this song until Whitney did it."

Oh, please! You Whitney fangurls seem to think that nobody knew this song existed until Whitney Houston caterwauled it. But Dolly Parton had recorded it first (she wrote it) and Linda Ronstadt, who was extremely popular at the time, did a version of it on one of her hit albums. It made Number 1 on the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart two times. So evidently plenty of people were familiar with the song before Whitney Houston came upon the scene.

I myself hate the damn thing. I think the lyrics are trite and as a love song it's unexceptional and bland. It's definitely not one of Dolly Parton's better efforts.

After Houston's version it's now the norm to sing it at ear-splitting decibels and draw the words out excruciatingly: "and IIIIIIIEEEEEIIII will allllwaaaays looooove yooooou...." Oh God, it's enough to set you crazy!

by Anonymousreply 9602/17/2012

I Will Always Love Dolly Parton. She has a big heart. I don't think I've ever heard her say a bad thing about another performer. But I do remember hearing that Whitney told her "It took me to make your song a hit." I don't know if she said it. But Dolly is laughing all the way to the bank. Laughing on the inside of course, cuz she's a lady.

by Anonymousreply 9702/17/2012

Now you guys are making things up. She was a black woman so she had to be a bitch. Everyone who knew Whitney said that she was a very sweet person. I doubt she ever said that.

by Anonymousreply 9802/17/2012

I know R98, you're right. I didn't mean it to sound the way it did. It was just gossip at the time. I don't know if it was true. I could maybe imagine hearing her say it though. Not because she's black though.

by Anonymousreply 9902/17/2012

[quote]She was a black woman so she had to be a bitch.

Please! There's plenty of white bitches too. Keep your prejudices to yourself.

by Anonymousreply 10002/17/2012

I'm glad Elvis didn't get his paws on it. IWALY is not a song any man should sing.....they would ruin it.

by Anonymousreply 10102/17/2012

R100, what are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 10202/17/2012

r100, r98 said everyone wrongly assumed she was a bitch because she was black. r98 was not calling her a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 10302/17/2012

Think of it this way. If Dolly had sold the song to Elvis, the Church of Scientology would have been receiving proceeds from the song royalties once Lisa Marie and Priscilla came to control the money. That would have been a lot of $$$ for the clams.

by Anonymousreply 10402/17/2012

That fucking inbred KKK Grand Wizard Colonel Parker wanted FIFTY PERCENT of the royalties to let Elvis sing that song.

Dolly told him to eat shit and die.

by Anonymousreply 10502/17/2012

For those people criticizing Whitney's performance as bombastic, OTT caterwauling, etc., consider the medium the performance was created for: film. It had to be larger than life and grandiose and cinematic. The song had to be large enough to match the images on screen.

by Anonymousreply 10602/17/2012

I sincerely doubt that she said that to Dolly. Why even repeat that, asshole? It's probably a lie and seriously not worth mentioning even if it was true.

by Anonymousreply 10702/17/2012

I prefer Dolly's version. So much more genuine emotion. I agree that Whitney's had merit and it will always be her signature song, but I personally like Dolly's better.

by Anonymousreply 10802/17/2012

I too have heard Whitney was pretty awful to Dolly Parton over the song many years ago. But, Dolly didn't get into it with Whitney.

And I guess people in the music business who labeled her the voice "have no ear for music."

R40, you nailed it! When you watch like American Idol and the other so called talent search programs,every friggin person sounds like they are cats in heat, Wooo! woa! there isn't that individual style of music anymore because they all sing with a jazzy style. Also, the singers now, scream the music verses singing the song. Screaming isn't singing. Listen to the singers of the past sing the same song that a singer sings today and you will notices the screaming. Even Babara Streisand is guilty of screaming her songs and Celine Dion is a major screamer! How the hell can these judges decide who has talent and who doesn't when they are sound a like? Its as if these so called singers now a days were cranked out of a machine. Frank Sinatra, Ethel Waters, on and on were extremely gifted and enormously talented singers ,but if they tried to make it now a days they wouldn't have a chance in hell witch is truly mind boggling to me. The music industry is dominated by a screeching, wailing, screaming style of music.

I think Dolly's version has more depth and emotion in the song when she sings it because she wrote it so to me there would be more of an interesting because the song is a about something in her life.Over all, I love how Dolly sings the song witch is very electrifying.

Also, I have heard that Dolly is an incredible business woman ,and she is very shrewd. She goes into a meeting ,and acts like people think she is witch is this naive back country lady, and then she gets down to business and demonstrates her savvy business skills. She apparently does this routine to throw executives, etc. off so they are caught off guard.Its her way to let them know that she will not be taken advantage of and she isn't stupid. How did this woman learn how to deal with business in a savvy way is anyone's guess.

However, she is a very, very sweet lady and no one has really anything bad to say about her.

by Anonymousreply 10902/17/2012

Will those of you claiming that Whitney was mean to Dolly please provide proof?

And I couldn't care less about American Idol I'm talking about people in music who understand vocal mechanics and know a good singer when they hear one. Especially the music business back in the 80's. I have no interest in Judy Garland, but at least I'm willing to say that she was a good singer. I'm sorry that a black woman was labeled 'The Voice' and none of your white idols were.

by Anonymousreply 11002/17/2012

[quote]and none of your white idols were.

Is this what this is all about?

by Anonymousreply 11102/17/2012

I will cut the next bitch who says "laughing all the way to the bank".

by Anonymousreply 11202/17/2012

[italic]I'm sorry that a black woman was labeled 'The Voice' and none of your white idols were.[/italic]

That's really unnecessary of you to bring it to that level.

I've posted in this thread defending Whitney's singing and I think the people complaining about her "yelling" certainly have their issues, but for you to make this about race makes you just as bad as them. It shows you have plenty of issues of your own. Go fuck yourself.

by Anonymousreply 11302/17/2012

Dolly is laughing all the way to the bank. I believe I heard she had made $6 million of Whitney's version, and that was before Whitney died.

Now I grew up on old country, and was not aware it was Dolly's song for quite a few years after hearing Whitney's version. Maybe you had to be a certain age?

But no one can deny the massive hit it was for Whitney, regardless of if you like or don't like what she did with the song. Nor can the mediocre success Dolly had with it be denied.

I don't know how popular Dolly's version was in the US, but Whitney's version according to Wiki..

"The single spent 14 weeks at the top of the U.S. Billboard Hot 100, which at the time was a record"

"Houston's single made a massive international success, peaking at number one of the singles charts in almost all countries, including the Eurochart Hot 100 Singles, spent 13 weeks at the top. The single also hit pole position for ten weeks in Australia...."

and "Houston's version was a massive worldwide success, appearing at number 68 on Billboard's "Greatest Songs of All Time"

Now I adore Dolly, and yes Dolly wrote the song, but when I read her first statement about Whitney's death, I thought it was tacky. It seemed like she was reminding people she wrote it, for what reason?

and now I'll go hurt myself for saying bad things about Dolly.

by Anonymousreply 11502/17/2012

R113, you use that kind of language and you have the nerve to say that I'm as bad as someone else? You basically said that the ones claiming she was a screamer made this about race, and then you claim that I did. Which is it?

by Anonymousreply 11602/17/2012

No, it's not, R114. This board is known for constant bashing of EVERYONE: women, blacks, Jews, Muslims, Hispanics, children, fat people, poor people and, most of all, other gay people. Lesbians especially, but effeminate men, out celebrities and "eldergays" are also bashed regularly.

You're just intentionally trying to stir up some racial shit, making you yet another troll on Datalounge. No one is buying your victim routine.

by Anonymousreply 11702/17/2012

R105 is absolutely correct.

I heard Dolly say it herself on Anderson the week before Whitney died.

The one and only thing I learned from the Anderson show.

Now Dolly's death would be something to be sad about.

by Anonymousreply 11802/17/2012

And that makes it right, R117? Well in the African American thread others do agree with me. And that's what you guys say when ever a person of color speaks out against racism on this board, that we are trying to be "victims." Nice choice of words.

by Anonymousreply 11902/17/2012

[italic]You basically said that the ones claiming she was a screamer made this about race[/italic]

No, I didn't say that, nor did I imply that. I said they have issues. I didn't say they have issues with race; they just hate her. You are clearly the one that has issues with race. And if you think using bad language is as bad as being a racist, than you have even more serious problems as I originally thought. So I'll say it again....go fuck yourself.

Re-read R117. That sums everything up perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 12002/17/2012

No, you're presenting yourself as a victim of racist attacks when the truth is you're actively trying to steer the thread into a flamewar over race.

We're not all idiots here. Just do you know.

As for the DL culture, I never said it's right. It just is. Grow a thicker skin. This is the Internet, not a church social.

by Anonymousreply 12102/17/2012

I'm sorry but when you said that I'm as bad as them, you did imply that. So they 'just hate her' don't you have to have a reason to hate someone? Most African Americans aren't even comfortable talking about black celebrities out side of the African American thread. Why do you think that is? Is it because they're racist too?

I'm glad to see that you agree that I'm just another 'victim.' Speaks volumes.

by Anonymousreply 12202/17/2012

Now you're not even making sense.

And again: I don't think you're a victim, you do.

I think you're a troll.

Are we clear now?

by Anonymousreply 12302/17/2012

R121, if you couldn't see the racial undertones in this thread, then maybe you are an idiot. As I said earlier, according to you guys black people can't do anything. And when we call you out on it we are just trying to be victims.

The next time I see another thread saying fight back against those blacks, I'll remember that I need to grow a thicker skin and shut up.

by Anonymousreply 12402/17/2012

whitney was just a crack ho.

It's Dolly's song.

by Anonymousreply 12502/17/2012

Couldn't the difference between the two be said to be the difference between a ballad and an anthem? Dolly's version a tender love ballad. Whitney's version is a love anthem? Both are fine. And given that Whitney's recording did push that song into a kind of popularity it hadn't had before I do think it appropriate to say it is THEIR song. And in the scheme of things to Dolly it probably is just another one of many many many songs she wrote that she loves and that's why she doesn't sweat it. Dolly's identity as a talent is not tied up in I Will Always Love You. But Whitney's kind of is.

by Anonymousreply 12702/17/2012

Just stop. That's a joke that people here on datalounge need a reason to hate on others. This is the land of irrational hatred.

Why does everybody hate Madonna? Why does everybody hate Gaga? Why does everybody hate every fucking celebrity that has ever existed?

I remember a couple of threads over the years where it was agreed that the only celebrities that everyone actually liked were Dolly (ironically) and Sigourney Weaver. Every other celebrity receives their share of vitriol. That's how it is here for good or for bad. If you don't like it, don't come here. Just don't drag down threads by claiming racism.

by Anonymousreply 12802/17/2012

Okay - so I love me some Linda Ronstadt - but she sings it like a country song.

Whitney made it her own people..

by Anonymousreply 12902/17/2012

I knew Dolly's version well, so Whitney's annoyed me at first like any remake would. Whitney's eventually grew on me, but I still like Dolly's better. I especially liked when Dolly hit the high note at the end and disliked her remake when she couldn't do the high note anymore.

by Anonymousreply 13002/17/2012

Point proven and R125. Where are the bad as them comments or the he/she is a troll/victim? Exactly.

by Anonymousreply 13102/17/2012

Look who's the one making generalizations by race with this gem: "according to you guys black people can't do anything." In the meantime, I said just a few posts ago that I was defending Whitney, just as I've many countless positive comments about other black people including Whitney over the years. And then you're gonna go and spout off your ignorance? Let me write it again to remind you what you said "according to you guys black people can't do anything." How do you not get that you're the one causing this division? How do you not get that all races make both positive & negative comments about other races as well as their own race? You are so dumb.

by Anonymousreply 13202/17/2012

Of course R125 is a troll. He's referring to the whole John & Ken suspension.

by Anonymousreply 13302/17/2012

I prefer Dolly's version. You can feel the emotion behind it.

by Anonymousreply 13402/17/2012

R128, how long have you been here?

Calling her a crack ho and stating that she has a disgusting churchy voice has racial undertones.

People like you guys never see racism. And since my post struck a nerve with you two. It means that you have your own issues with race. And it makes you uncomfortable when someone mentions it. Black people and women are bashed more than anyone else here. And they are never good at anything according to this board. And I've seen some threads over the past few days that really got me upset. So I could be a bit hypertensive at the moment. But please don't deny that there are racist undertones in many of these anti Whitney posts.

Oh and I can come where I want, I mostly visit the African American thread anyway.

by Anonymousreply 13502/18/2012

i would also like to apologize for saying that Whitney did a hell of a job with MY song

by Anonymousreply 13602/18/2012

You're one person. And I'm far from dumb. Another great choice of words. And the fact that many posters in the African American thread agree with me doesn't clue you in? Why do most of the African Americans on this board feel uncomfortable talking about black people outside of the African American thread? Please answer.

by Anonymousreply 13702/18/2012

The Whitney fangurls have been busy attacking anyone who says anything that may in the least bit be construed as negative. Dolly Parton and Celine Dion have both been on the receiving end of their rage for making rather innocuous statements.

Whitney was not a saint and having a fantastic voice for a period of your life does not mean you should be exempt from criticism. She was a drug user who refused to get the help she needed. And the most important victim of her drug abuse wasn't her voice, but rather her daughter.

by Anonymousreply 13802/18/2012

[quote]a disgusting churchy voice has racial undertones.

Not at all. The Baptist church in my town has a choir full of people with churchy voice and every one of those churchy voiced singers are white. You could put a hundred singers in front of me and I could pick out every one who had ever sung in a Baptist choir, no matter what their skin color.

by Anonymousreply 13902/18/2012

TMZ has proven themselves really shitty, ignorant, muckraking lowlifes this past week.

by Anonymousreply 14002/18/2012

No one calls "Hard Candy Christmas" my song. Just sayin.

by Anonymousreply 14102/18/2012

Jesus Fucking Christ. Are you people crazy calling Dolly greedy?

I'm a Nashville songwriter, and if a singer told me they would record a song of mine only if they got the copyright, I would say NO, just as Dolly did to Elvis. It was beyond sleazy of him (or the Colonel) to ask, and her saying no had NOTHING to do with greed, and everything to do with having integrity and NOT caving in just because a famous and successful singer asked for something that wasn't theirs. If she were greedy, she would have let Elvis have the copyright and get her song recorded. Who would have known then that Whitney would have had a hit with it? That was a fluke, and I'm glad Dolly's integrity paid off for her.

BTW -- I've met Dolly, and she is wonderful. Very personable and funny and warm. And bawdy. She's great.

by Anonymousreply 14202/18/2012

Don't do that , R139. You know what he meant. When people think of 'churchy voices' they're thinking about black singers. Please don't do that.

I only have problems with irrational criticism. Like I said I'm not a Judy Garland fan ( or a Cher fan), but I'm aware that she was good singer. There was a post in this thread in which the poster simply said that he/she prefers Dolly's version and but still gave credit to Whitney. That doesn't bother me.

by Anonymousreply 14302/18/2012

Dolly's version is awesome. I love it. It's understated and melancholic. I also love Whitney's version.

The way I remember the story, Dolly wrote the song because she was leaving the Porter Wagoner show and the duo. The two performed together for years. I don't know that they were a romantic couple. From my recollection, they were not a couple.

The song was a farewell to Porter and the show. She was ready to go out on her own and be a solo performer.

I heard this back in the 70s, when the song was new. The story may have since been revised by Dolly, I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 14402/18/2012

R106 is right. I am not and never have been the biggest fan of Whitney's music. But I loved certain songs of hers and IWALY was one of them. I mostly love her ballads but most of her music resonates with me because it was popular during my teen years. Lots of memories attached to Whitney Houston, Hall and Oates, Rick Springfield, etc.

Anyhoo, Whitney's version of IWALY is so HUGE. Watch the music video and tell me that you aren't moved by the moment in the song when she closes her eyes, the music pauses for a beat and then BOOM, she just belts out the melody. Chills, I get. Beautiful.

But Dolly's version also gives me chills. They are the same song but very different.

by Anonymousreply 14502/18/2012

I don't have time to go through all of the posts but has anyone mentioned the irony of one rumored to be closeted lesbian singing a song written by another rumored to be closeted lesbian?

by Anonymousreply 14602/18/2012

[quote] ere is Col. Tom Parker. He really had some gumption demanding that she sell the song. He probably thought he could pull a fast one on the little lady.

Col Parker did it with every songwriter. He demanded Elvis get songwriting credit.

by Anonymousreply 14702/18/2012

Dolly has been known to caterwaul, even on that song, although obviously they toned it down when she recorded it, owing to the influence of the Nashville Sound mafia. Caterwauling is the normal state of singing (see: OPERA) when it becomes a profession. There was a small chance it could be reversed in tv and the movies, but that chance is now gone.

by Anonymousreply 14802/18/2012

fuck'em Dolly, it's your song!! She shouldn't have apologized.

by Anonymousreply 14902/18/2012

R146, that's not ironic, and many of us thought of that when Whitney first sang the song.

by Anonymousreply 15002/18/2012

'I Will Always Love You' - Original: Dolly Parton. Standard: Whitney Houston.

'The Greatest Love of All' - Original: George Benson. Standard: Whitney Houston.

'Respect' - Original: Otis Redding. Standard: Aretha Franklin.

'At Last' - Original: Glen Miller. Standard: Etta James.

'New York, New York' - Original: Liza Minelli. Standard: Frank Sinatra.

... I could go on.

by Anonymousreply 15102/18/2012

R11 So what? Dolly wrote the song and the songwriter gets the royalties. I don't know why Dolly should have to apoligize when she did nothing wrong. I liked Whitney, but if she wanted royalties, then she should have written her own fucking songs.

by Anonymousreply 15202/18/2012

agreed 152

by Anonymousreply 15302/18/2012

God forbid Melissa dies..I forsee another cat fight

by Anonymousreply 15402/18/2012

They are (were) 2 different types of singers. You can't deny their talent, however Dolly wrote it and owns it. With that said, I present Dolly...

by Anonymousreply 15502/18/2012

[quote]Anyhoo, Whitney's version of IWALY is so HUGE. Watch the music video and tell me that you aren't moved by the moment in the song when she closes her eyes, the music pauses for a beat and then BOOM, she just belts out the melody. Chills, I get. Beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 15602/18/2012

I also hate the Kenny G sounding saxophone on Whitney's version.

It just sounds like fake sexiness.

by Anonymousreply 15702/18/2012

R110, this is R109.I have stated this on the Grammy Award thread. I wasn't and I'm still not a fan of Whitney Houston's music. But what I see happening right now after Whitney died is the fact that all of these phonies in the entertainment business who shoved her aside when she was in a self-destructive state towards the end of her life, and she needed help and support. So many famous entertainers considered her a has been when she was a live and she was tossed aside. Now, these same creeps can't wait to get in front of a camera, and talk about what a loss, and what a tragedy etc. That is horrible and disturbing how phony the rich and famous are. Whitney, as a human being, I have honest no BS sadness for her and her death. When I first heard the report when she died I was shocked because the woman was only 48 years old, and she was this major world famous super star. I think there are many people on this thread who are truly not tying to knock Whitney Houston down. Most people on this thread are mainly talking about a song between two singers.

Now, you don't know me! I love old school singing, and I don't like the modern mechanical style of singing. I have a right not to like the modern style of singing because I think it’s awful. I resent that you stated that I pretend to like Ethel Waters! I love many African American singers who sing old school just as well as many white singers. I love Motown big time! When I was a little kid, I was captivated by Nate King Cole's and Johnny Mathis’s music and voices and I still do. Lena Horn, Aretha Franklin, Lovely Roberta Flack, I love Tina Turner, and I love her personal story how she fought to survive in her life in an abusive marriage and she became her own person, Etta James, Dionne Warwick, and the list goes on and on. That does not include white singers that I love dearly witch are numerous as well. R110, they were and are the Rolls Royce of singers.

I love opera and various opera singers such as, Pavarotti, Maria Callas, Sarah Brightman, Andrea Bocelli, Plácido Domingo, etc. I love some pop music such as, 80's and 90's British pop music, the 40's Big Band music and songs, 50's and some 60's music, I'm sorry but I'm not into country music because it really doesn't do anything for me as a general rule. However, the acceptations are Dolly Parton and the Judds. I don't like rap and it doesn't do anything for me either. Far as today's music scene, just, Shontelle a lot, Seal, and M83. Again, as a general rule, I just don't like the singing style today at all! That is my choice period! I don't care if you believe me or not. I know who I am as a person and I'm very honest, and I will not accept slanderous false accusations of who I am. I feel sorry for you that you use accusations of racism so loosely that the real racists are being over looked and ignored, which is dangerous!

Another thing, my mother is Mediterranean and she is not African American. However, her skin color is an olive complexion. Very mean and ignorant people called her the N word when she was just a kid. So you don't know shit who you are talking to!

by Anonymousreply 15802/18/2012

Dolly is well loved and shouldn't have to apologise for anything.

by Anonymousreply 16002/18/2012

"I myself hate the damn thing. I think the lyrics are trite and as a love song it's unexceptional and bland. It's definitely not one of Dolly Parton's better efforts."

But, r96, it's not a love song. Dolly wrote it for Porter Wagoner, who was not her lover but her mentor who had had her on his show, released duets with and helped get her known. Once she started getting better known Dolly wanted to go her own way and Porter brought a big lawsuit against her. But, they had been very close and loved each other as friends so the whole split was also very hurtful. If you think of the song and its lyric in that context, it's actually a very moving and deep statement, talking about the damaged love of a friend.

R155, I love that song, that is one of Dolly's best. She's a genius songwriter and a wonderful singer.

I also love Coat of Many Colours written and recorded by Dolly but also recorded by the other member of the Trio (along with Dolly and Linda), Emmylou Harris. Listening to Emmylou's version makes me understand Dolly Parton's tradition, which Dolly alludes to in the lyric. It's like an homage to her friend.

by Anonymousreply 16102/18/2012

What r19 said. Dolly's celebrity is pure star gold.

Still, I too, think Dolly, in her initial statement, just couldn't resist reminding everybody that, in fact, she did write, and owns, "I Will Always Love You." C'mon, she deliberately included the words "my song", even when, if you think about it, they weren't necessary

So even Dolly isn't above indulging in a bit of pettiness.

Obviously, the alive and well Dolly has thought about the reaction to her initial statement and realizes that she can, after all, be magnanimous- all the way to the bank.

Dolly's sweet nature diverts attention from the reality that she's a very calculating, smart, business woman. I don't know why Madonna is so lauded for that because it really was Dolly who set the standard for tougher-then-a-boiled-owl financial career savvy.

by Anonymousreply 16202/18/2012

The person who wrote the OWNS the song. Hence ownership indicates that it is THEIR song. It's not rocket science, girls.

by Anonymousreply 16302/18/2012

Shut up Della. It is her song. She wrote it and recorded it first.

by Anonymousreply 16402/18/2012

Thing is it is Dolly's song. It's highly personal for her, but to Whitney Houston the song is something she had to sing for a movie when the first song lined up wound up in movie that was released first. I suspect Whitney probably wanted to be known by some other song

by Anonymousreply 16502/18/2012

Dolly needs to keep her yapper shut. The more people buy the song because of Whitney, who defined it, the more money Dolly makes. This moment isn't about some old woman with huge knockers. It's about the dead crackhead.

by Anonymousreply 16602/18/2012

Brava/bravo Della.

I saw Dolly on her recent world tour, and she had a little dig at Whitney before she sang the song. I thought it unnecessary at best. Let's face it, Dolly could only dream of the success Whitney had with that song, and the notes she hit. That's not to say Dolly isn't great. But I think there maybe a little jealousy going on there.

by Anonymousreply 16702/18/2012

Would any of you call Carole King a "greedy bitch" if she claimed ownership of the song she wrote that's idetified with Aretha Franklin, You Make me feel Like a Natural Woman?

by Anonymousreply 16902/18/2012

Troll @ r168

by Anonymousreply 17002/18/2012

Harvey, go suck on some more straws or anything else you like to suck on. The song belongs to Dolly. Whitney's version was a hit and wonderful in it's own way, but the song is, was and will always be, Dolly's.

by Anonymousreply 17102/18/2012

Why would Dolly Parton make a public statement about the passing of Whitney Houston and why would anyone care what Dolly had to say if it wasn't for the fact that Dolly had written Whitney's biggest hit? The only reason we're interested in what a white country singer/songwriter has to say about a black R&B singer is because Whitney recorded a song Dolly wrote. So of course Dolly Parton is going to make a reference to the song that she wrote.

"Dolly could only dream of the success Whitney had with that song, and the notes she hit." Huh? Dolly has had a huge career, as singer and songwriter and even actor, which has spanned a number of decades, made her globally famous for all those decades. Her entire body of work will be remembered long after she's gone, not just one or two songs. Dolly Parton is pretty famous all over the globe and one of the highest-selling female recording artists of all time. Did Whitney ever have a cloned sheep named after her?

by Anonymousreply 17202/18/2012

Oh good grief, R162. This song would of course be mentioned by Dolly. Its obvious. Its their link and everybody knows it. And we English speakers have articles. We use them naturally, without pausing to think long and hard about which one to use. "My" song. It is what she would just naturally say like you would say "my" job or "my" friend.

If you read the whole statement it is very sweet. She gives credit to Whitney, complements her and says that she loves her. But, let's get all frothed up over that one properly used article and decide that Dolly is petty.

There are some ridiculous people here.

by Anonymousreply 17302/18/2012

And, of course, it makes sense that Dolly would be bashed here since she has always been a very open advocate for LGBT. A rarity in country music,

by Anonymousreply 17402/18/2012

Reading this thread is truly a jaw dropping experience.

Dolly Parton was greedy because she wouldn't sell THE OWNERSHIP OF HER WORK to Elvis?

Perhaps as the creator of the song, she saw its future in subsidiary performances and in 1972, she is thinking why should I sell away my future interest in the song when it could turn into a nice annuity?

Sounds pretty smart to me.

How many of you would just sell a recipe you invented to a company, for a few thousand dollars and be happy a corporation made millions off of it.

This is her work. what she does for money.

Parton wrote the song. It would not exist without her.

I guess you could mount an argument that Elvis's people were the greedy ones demanding ownership of the song and all future royalites from a song he didn't write.

As far as Whitney Houston goes, she covered the song and as the author, Dolly gets royalites. Period.

Whitney also made a fortune off of Dolly's song. Nobody in their right mind is thinking Whitney should have started a school for poor white children from the south.

Of course not that would be ridiculous.

People are grieving Whitney's untimely and premature death and perhaps out of sentiment assigning all the things other people "should do" in order to make them feel better.

But life doesn't work that way.

Everyone who had anytyhing to do with writing a song for Whitney or producing Whitney is MAKING MONEY RIGHT NOW.

Why single out Dolly Parton when corporations like Arista are making a fortune this week?

Dolly doesn't owe Whitney anything. Whitney doesn't owe Dolly anything the fees have been paid. A clean transaction.

by Anonymousreply 17502/18/2012

Apparently Dolly never actually met Whitney. I was shocked to hear that. You'd think Whitney would have shown more gratitude to the woman who gave her her biggest hit. Whitney probably figured Dolly should be thanking HER.

by Anonymousreply 17602/18/2012

For all those dissing Dolly, just why is it this song, above all the others Whitney recorded, that is being played all over and being seen as Whitney's signature tune? As noted on another thread, because it's one of the few very well-written songs that Whitney sang. Most of the other stuff she recorded was not the greatest material. For someone with such a powerful voice Whitney certainly didn't select the best material for showcasing it. She could have done with more songs written by artists as talented as Dolly.

And, in legal terms, Dolly is the owner of the song.

by Anonymousreply 17702/18/2012

[quote]When people think of 'churchy voices' they're thinking about black singers. Please don't do that.

Don't paint with such a huge paintbrush, r143. If I turn on a Christian radio station, the ones with churchy voices are sure to have gotten their start in an electronically enhanced Baptist church choir no matter what their race. Maybe the person who used that term here meant it to apply ONLY to black singers, but . you . don't . know . that . for certain. You sound like one of the DL racist trolls who can turn any thread into a racist circus.

by Anonymousreply 17902/18/2012

Is Dolly attending the service today? Valerie Simpson? I think they all should pay their respects to the woman that lined their pockets, and used her angelic voice to make more money for them long after these songs where written. As for all Dolly's comments on the song, she has a right to say what she wants about it.

by Anonymousreply 18002/18/2012

R168 I think that would be a great thing for Dolly to do, considering the huge amount of money she made off Whitney.

I don't know or believe Dolly is racist, but I know so many on DL are.

You aren't a troll, more a voice of reason, which is exactly why you are being called a troll. People here don't like reality

by Anonymousreply 18102/18/2012

I can't believe there are people saying IWALY is Whitney's song. It would be like saying Over the Rainbow is Judy Garland's song. The singers popularized these songs but they belong to the songwriters.

Here's something I found about Celine and her husband being greedy bastards.

by Anonymousreply 18202/18/2012

Not to mention, r172, Dolly ultimately would not have been selling her song to Elvis but allowing that corrupt, fraudulent slimebucket Colonel Tom Parker to exploit it and perhaps ruin it. Keeping away from Tom Parker was a wise move. Lest we forget, like Whitney, Elvis was a glorious singer given shit material by his "handlers" and destroyed as an individual by the trajectory of his career and life, and who eventually died way too young as a result of self-abuse.

by Anonymousreply 18302/18/2012

[quote]Dolly has NEVER shown even professional respect to Whitney Houston.

What, professionally speaking, is there to respect? Great financial success, yes, and middling artistic success. But all the while Whitney was trying to trash it with her unprofessional and destructive behavior.

Whitney was a reluctant product and a self-destructive face of the brand. Dolly is a savvy producer and created/nourished her own brand.

There's a very big difference.

by Anonymousreply 18402/18/2012

I think Elvis would have done it justice. Too bad The Colonel's greed (he in turn took half of everything he brokered for Elvis) prevented the recording. But I don't think The Colonel would have ruined it - although Elvis was under the thumb of that creep when it came to business, he did put his foot down in the studio and had his own ideas about how songs should be recorded. I don't even think Parker was in the studio when he recorded. The era of his "comeback" in the late 60s/early 70s was one of his best creatively, and I think IWALY would have been a huge hit for him.

It boggles the mind that Dolly has been considered by anyone to have been disrespectful in her statement about Whitney. The two women's connection is all about that song. Why wouldn't Dolly mention it? Should she have gone out of her way to say, "my song, which of course Whitney recorded and had a huge hit, making it her signature song?" Everyone already knows that.

by Anonymousreply 18502/18/2012

I can't believe how many of you queens expect Elvis should have sung a song for free!

by Anonymousreply 18602/18/2012

Presley's publishing company also took credit for "It's Now Or Never."

It was recorded as "There's No Tomorrow", by U.S. pop singer, Tony Martin, in 1949, however that melody was based on "O Sole Mio," a globally known Neapolitan song written in 1898 by Eduardo di Capua.

by Anonymousreply 18702/18/2012

[quote]Dolly's sweet nature diverts attention from the reality that she's a very calculating, smart, business woman. I don't know why Madonna is so lauded for that because it really was Dolly who set the standard for tougher-then-a-boiled-owl financial career savvy.

Hear hear. Dolly is and always has been an excellent business woman!

As for the song, well, Dolly's voice can't match Whitney's, few could, but I've always preferred Whitney's version to Dolly's.

by Anonymousreply 18802/18/2012

This is such a stupid thread. Dolly and Whitney are megastars of their field. Dolly is probably the most successful living country star. Whitney was the most successful R&B star (before she disappeared from the stage).

Dolly wrote IWALY, but I'm sure she's thrilled to have someone like Whitney Houston do what she did to IWALY, making it one of pop music's most enduring hits. IWALY is Whitney's Over the Rainbow.

Anyone who calls Dolly Parton bitter needs to remove the clouds out of her eyes. Dolly was just thanking Whitney for turning a good song she wrote in the early 70's into something great.

I wish I wrote a song that wound up being Whitney Houston's biggest hit and one of the most popular songs of its decade.

by Anonymousreply 18902/18/2012

Listening to the two versions together, with the exception of Whitney belting it out, there are very few differences between the two.

by Anonymousreply 19002/18/2012

Dolly expected Elvis to sing her song for free!

by Anonymousreply 19102/18/2012

Did Whitney ever thank Dolly for writing a quality song which became known as her signature song?

Though it's understandable how Whitney could think of the song as HER song, in reality the song actually belongs to Dolly.

When you think about it, if Dolly had never written the song there would be no real song of substance by which to remember Whitney for a long, long time to come.

by Anonymousreply 19202/18/2012

Re: r168, just loooove these white liberals who label everything racist. You're such a dumb asshole.

by Anonymousreply 19302/18/2012

reading this thread makes me long for the days when gay people were demonstrably smarter than straight people.

These dizzy queens accusing Dolly Parton [of all people] of greed and insensitivity are beyond reason and immune to logic.

by Anonymousreply 19402/18/2012

[all posts by tedious troll]

by Anonymousreply 19502/18/2012

Damn, this is a sad thread.

Whitney Houston did not write the song. Dolly Parton wrote the song. The song did not exist until Dolly Parton wrote it.

The song enjoyed considerable success before Whitney recorded it.

You could argue Whitney's rendition of Dolly's song made it a classic exposing the song to a broader audience, but nobody in their right mind could assert that Whitney wrote a song that was a number one country hit already when Whitney was 10 years old.

When a singer "makes a song his/her own" that is an expression not a legal or factual term.

Dolly Parton has every right by the laws of logic and by the laws of the land to call the song "mine" because she fucking wrote the fucking thing before Whitney went through puberty.

by Anonymousreply 19602/18/2012

first, i suspect dolly's use of the possessive pronoun, "my," was free of any malice.

second, i also suspect that dolly is reluctant to cede any ownership because the song was a very personal expression in the wake of her break-up with porter. she's probably very proud and possessive of the song because she took emotional pain and turned it into gold.

by Anonymousreply 19802/18/2012

[quote]Yes but you queens have no problem with letting Elvis singing the song for free, while Dolly reaped all the profits!

Are you a troll or just stupid? No one said Elvis would sing the song for free. He would be compensated for whatever sales he had BUT he wouldn't get a writers fee because he didn't write it. Col. Parker wanted Dolly to relinquish her writers fee. Whitney never got a writers cut either but she wasn't stupid enough to ask for it, it's just not done. Now shut the fuck up about Elvis.

by Anonymousreply 19902/18/2012

Don't feed the troll, R199.

by Anonymousreply 20002/18/2012

Costner is boring.

by Anonymousreply 20102/18/2012

R158, Would you let a straight person tell you what you should and shouldn't be offended by?

You're not African American. Therefore, you can not tell me what racism is. You can not tell me what I should or shouldn't be offended by.

There was a story that came out a while back about the Asian community in Atlanta being upset about the train that came into their community being called the yellow line. A friend of mine thought it was stupid. But I reminded him that he was not Asian American and he didn't live in their skin.

And you don't live in my skin. Therefore, you can't tell me what racism is or when I should or shouldn't be offended.

by Anonymousreply 20202/18/2012

Dolly meant no disrespect when she referred to it as her song, but the backlash surprised her. Perhaps she even romneyed.

by Anonymousreply 20302/18/2012

R179, that poster was referring to Whitney ;and Whitney was black. So obviously the poster was referring to black church singers. Whitney grew up in a black church and she was the lead singer in the choir. Stop trying to spin this. You're acting like you wrote that comment.

by Anonymousreply 20402/18/2012

"that poster was referring to Whitney ;and Whitney was black."

Thanks for the reminder. I thought she was green on Thursdays, polka dots on Saturday, and plaid on Mondays.

"So obviously the poster was referring to black church singers."

Obviously in this specific instance, since we know she sang in a black church choir. Duh!

"Stop trying to spin this."

It's NOT spinning to claim that white people in all-white choirs can sound churchy -- as is the case with MOST people of any color who were trained to sing in Baptist churches.

"You're acting like you wrote that comment."

You're acting like a typical racist jerk who spends his life perusing internet forums looking for places to scream: "Racism! Racism! Racism!" even where it doesn't exist.

We have plenty of racist people at DL (and some in this thread) and we also have [bold]trolls[/bold] who scream: "Racism! Racism! Racism!" even where it doesn't exist. Further, the trolls who are way over the top with screams of: "Racism! Racism! Racism!" even where it doesn't exist, encourage people to post nasty replies out of annoyance with the ignorant trolls.

by Anonymousreply 20502/18/2012

Nobody has caught onto the fact that R168 is being OTT sarcastic? Have DL standards slipped so low that people aren't catching this? Patheticl

[quote]As a person of color, while I have no idea about Doly being a racist, I can assure you it would not be the first time a white country music artist of a certain age mistreated a black performer.

Are you implying that Dolly has mistreated Whitney in any way?

[quote]Is Dolly attending the service today? Valerie Simpson? I think they all should pay their respects to the woman that lined their pockets, and used her angelic voice to make more money for them long after these songs where written. As for all Dolly's comments on the song, she has a right to say what she wants about it.

You know for a fact they were not invited? Yeah, they should have dramatically gone uninvited to the church to pay their respects. And when the media started to focus on Dolly you'd change your tune and say that it was disrespectful of her to go because she made it all about heself, or something to that effect.

And the "lined their pockets" part, I don't believe either of them asked Whitney to perform their songs.

by Anonymousreply 20602/18/2012

Also, R205 if you also admit that the poster was talking about black church singers, why did you even respond to me? The fact that white singers can sound churchy is irrelevant. He was not talking about white singers. I couldn't careless if white singers can sound churchy that is not what he ( or you) was talking about.

by Anonymousreply 20802/18/2012

[quote]so a black woman sounds like a churchy white singer.

White singers AND black singers can sound churchy, you racist jackass.

by Anonymousreply 20902/18/2012

R209, you are incredibly immature. I'm asking you why the hell did you respond to me in the first place if you knew he ( most likely you) was talking about Whitney sounding churchy? I couldn't care less how white church singers sound and I didn't need you to tell me that. It was completely irrelevant. Try your very best to respond in a mature way. The odd thing is that I'm probably much younger than you. It's also odd how some white people call black people racist for speaking out against racism. Very odd.

by Anonymousreply 21002/18/2012

It should be Whitney sounding like a black church singer.

by Anonymousreply 21102/18/2012

In your sicko racist world it's obvious that there's ONLY Black vs. all others. That's why you, in your elaborately imagined victimhood, can't comprehend half of what people are writing.

Your only aim, r210, is to attack discussions with your accusations of racism when it's YOU who are the epitome of a racist. OTOH, it takes a modicum of intelligence for a person to know that racism goes in more than one direction -- so you have a reason for not comprehending that fact.

by Anonymousreply 21202/18/2012

[quote]When you stated that Whitney had a 'disgustingly churchy voice'

Never stated that. But you don't care because you want to continue your racist accusations. I don't like her oft-screaming vocalizations and that's not related to a churchy voice of anyone - white or black or purple. It still doesn't change the fact that you're a racist jackass and your attempts to connect me with the above quote now paints you as a racist liar.

by Anonymousreply 21402/18/2012

R214, prove that I'm a racist. Again, you avoid questions. People tend to avoid what makes them uncomfortable. The way that you are defending that comment anyone would think that you wrote it. But if you're telling me that you didn't and I will believe that you didn't. I suppose you're right that anyone can sound churchy ( is this a real word?);, however, the black church choir sound is well-known all around the world. It is a very distinctive sound. Most people are unaware of what a white church singer or church choir sounds like.

And when you couple that with the fact that Whitney grew up singing in a black church choir, that poster was clearly stating that the black church choir sound is disgusting. I took issue with that. Black church singers have a disgusting sound? Really? I'm not cool with that and if I feel that this was a racist statement then that's how I feel about it. I know what racism is. You see it's possible to write without the use of foul language. But I'd like you to prove that I'm racist. You clearly couldn't prove any of those false accusations.

by Anonymousreply 21502/18/2012

Black church singing (and white Mormon singing) is all about unChristian competition. Even in some dumbass little rural Alabama church with 20 members will have 4 or 5 women fighting over who gets to sing. With a big church like Whitney's, it was only because of her MOTHER that she got to sing. Totally nepotism.

by Anonymousreply 21602/18/2012

Whitney singing "Jolene." That would have been something.

by Anonymousreply 21702/19/2012

The song was played at the funeral, Should Dolly be paid for that?

by Anonymousreply 21802/19/2012

How is Dolly somehow the villain here?

by Anonymousreply 21902/19/2012

Ok, seriously people. First of all, Dolly and Whitney credit each other-you do not hear anywhere Whitney bashing Dolly, she thanked her for writing a beautiful song, and Dolly thanked her for singing that song so beautifully. So this.... adversarial competition created on this thread, it's you people creating it. OF COURSE DOLLY GETS THE ROYALTIES, it's her damn song. There was no guarantee it would have been such a huge success, but it just happened to become one. As for Elvis, please. Know your history, Col Parker(it was HIS agenda) that if Elvis covered a song, he wanted co-ownership(not full) which would spread royalties to Elvis. Dolly saying no, that would be no different than if you said "hey, I like your house, now sell it too me"- NO, it's MINE! But forget Elvis. Dolly being the consummate professional(and Lady) changed saying "my Song" to "our song" because of the baby whiners who make shit out of nothing. She didn't have to do that, that IS her song just as my house is MINE! I give applaud to Dolly for being a lady and doing so. Both sang the song, uniqually different, and both versions are beautiful-plain and simple. Why do people have to make it a pissing competition all the time. If so, here's the law: Dolly wrote the song, thus she owns the song, thus royalties are paid to her. Don't like the law, call a Senator and ask to change it, otherwise SHUT UP!

by Anonymousreply 22012/07/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!