Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

NY's annoying hipster parents now getting babycinno for their spoiled spawn

The “Babyccino” is apparently a new trend in some of the hippest parts of New York.

The hot chocolate days for kids may be now considered passé for some hipster parents, who are giving their children coffee drinks, mixed with frothed milk, chocoloate or caramel. The drinks actually contain coffee — regular or decaf.

The coffee shops offering these special drinks are in Brooklyn, Prospect Heights and Greenwich Village, according to The Brooklyn Paper, which originally reported the trend.

Dr. Wendy Slusser of the Mattel Children’s Hospital UCLA, told The New York Post that both decaf and regular coffee have a compound that robs kids of iron.

“Even kids with mild anemia, they might not pass out, but they might not perform as well in school or learn as well,” she said.

by Anonymousreply 1701/17/2013

Is that what NYCs annoying "hipster parents" are doing. Funny I never noticed, and why in man in the moon would I have a problem with treats for children from their parents? Is it the hipsters that bother you, the children, or the treats?

Maybe you should write a letter to your Congressman?

by Anonymousreply 102/17/2012

You must live in a bubble R1. I see kids screaming and running around in the most inappropriate places for kids. Thankfully there are small individual business owners who are now putting signs up letting parents know their children are either not welcome or they'd better mind them or they are out.

by Anonymousreply 202/17/2012

I can't fathom drinking coffee as a kid. As an adult I only drink it in the morning to jump start my day.

That said I drive home past a Starbucks in Beverly Hills and it's across the street from a Jewish academy and I routinely see kids about 8-9 years old leaving there drinking coffee drink when they get out of school. Frothy ones, but still coffee. I guess it's just the trendy thing to do now.

And no racist trolls, I'm not calling out Jews as the only ones who do this. Just basing it on watching these kids get their afternoon coffee jones on. I'm sure it's like that for most kids on the West side of LA regardless.

by Anonymousreply 302/17/2012

My grandfather grew up in a small German farm community in the Midwest. He said all the kids he knew drank milchkaffe from the time they were weaned.

I would have thought parents of small children would enjoy naptime rather than feeding their children stimulants.

by Anonymousreply 402/17/2012

R4 if he was a farm family back in those days they probably kept the kids caffinated to make sure they got the farm chores done. My grandfather was also from a German midwestern farm family and he and his brothers worked sun up to sundown on the farm. Back then there wasn't cheap Hispanic labor for farm chores, it all stayed within the family to get the work done.

by Anonymousreply 502/17/2012

I drank some coffee as a kid but my dad would make it with mostly milk and sugar with a drop of coffee. He would never, ever have paid for it in a coffee shop though especially an overpriced one.

by Anonymousreply 602/17/2012

Here's a link to the article.

Note the headline: "Tots in Park Slope Brooklyn are loving their fake cappuccinos."

Note paragraph seven:

"Like the famed Brooklyn egg cream that has neither cream nor eggs in it, babyccinos have no coffee. They are simply a warm foamy milk served in a regular to-go cup with a sippy lid."

There is no coffee in those drinks.

by Anonymousreply 702/17/2012

R7 it's still an idiotic hipster douche thing to do. Fake cappuccino's for your kid? That's stupid.

by Anonymousreply 802/17/2012

The really kool kids have a Martini after lunch before nap time. My 8 year old likes his coffee with a ciggy.

It's best to get the kids exposed to recreational drugs as soon as possible, caffeine is no exception...

by Anonymousreply 902/17/2012

It's much ado about nothing

it's like pretending the food is an aeroplane, turning eating into a game as a way to get the kid to eat.

get a grip

by Anonymousreply 1002/17/2012

by Anonymousreply 1101/17/2013

I can barely breathe after reading this story--I AM SO OUTRAGED!!!! This makes me ANGRIER than JODIE'S SPEECH

by Anonymousreply 1201/17/2013

Hipsters? Are we in the year 2006?

by Anonymousreply 1301/17/2013

Um, R1, it's coffee doofus. Not good for tots dear.

by Anonymousreply 1401/17/2013

Who keeps bumping ancient threads?

by Anonymousreply 1501/17/2013

I also feel the same way about the mom's who take their 4 year old daughters into the nail salons for mani/pedis. Christ, don't these women EVER want a break from their spawn? I know I don't appreciate it when I'm there to relax and soak my feet in that spa bath and some annoying child is screeching in there. Worse is when there's a whole gaggle of them dragged in by a cadre of frauen.

by Anonymousreply 1601/17/2013

they probably charge for it in NY. this babycino has been blown out of context. it's a dollop of frothy milk in a little cup with no coffee, gratis, as a simple nice gesture. in europe. you know, a little pleasantry, at no charge. bit like a side of olives with a drink, only it's something to keep a child occupied with a little warm milk. unclutch darlings. if establishments are charging for it, shows up the greed.

by Anonymousreply 1701/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.