Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Should NYC secede from the Union?

Would it help everyone involved for new yorkers to become a sovereign nation?

by Anonymousreply 6612/31/2014

No.

Stupid.

by Anonymousreply 102/16/2012

About ten years ago Staten Island wanted to become separate from NYC. Nothing happened because the State would have to approve it.

by Anonymousreply 202/16/2012

"As a city-state it would be one of the most powerful in the world"

With no military or nuclear weapons?

by Anonymousreply 505/18/2013

The OP of this and the other pro-secessionist threads is just too stupid to live.

And he keeps posting and posting and posting them, like some kind of Confederate OCD freak. Someone should take his $18 and shove it down his throat.

by Anonymousreply 605/18/2013

Op picks a topic every two days and bumps all available threads on the subject....for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 705/18/2013

Where would we get food from? Last I checked NYC didn't have a lot of farms. There would be a huge premium charged to trade with a secessionist region.

The trade imbalance alone would doom nyc.

by Anonymousreply 1105/18/2013

I think it's a great idea. If a Dem is in office, then you would get billions in foreign aid. If a Repub is in office, you would get invaded if terrorists from Saudi Arabia attack anywhere in the world and would be have to be rebuilt. Of course, with your record of electing politicians, you'd collapse within ten years.

by Anonymousreply 1305/18/2013

Bloomberg the dictator?

by Anonymousreply 1405/18/2013

ROFLMAO.

So indicative of how stupid some New Yorkers truly are.

NYC would have no chance at all on its own. California would have a better chance but still wouldn't be able to make it.

by Anonymousreply 1505/18/2013

CA needs more oil than it can produce, although at least it could grow most of its own food.

NYC has neither oil nor food production to sustain itself.

by Anonymousreply 1705/18/2013

Should the OP be euthanized for her extreme stupidity?

by Anonymousreply 2005/18/2013

Do you actually consider that a logical argument, R18?

by Anonymousreply 2105/18/2013

It would not necessarily be more powerful. The only thing that makes NYC even remotely powerful is the financial industry. However, the financial industry is more mobile than ever today. There's no need for it to be tied to NYC anymore.

by Anonymousreply 2305/18/2013

Perhaps, on a similar note, we should have less states. Maybe six.

by Anonymousreply 2405/18/2013

WhaaAt?

by Anonymousreply 2605/18/2013

R25 is missing a few keys on her keyboard, and a few bricks in her head.

by Anonymousreply 2705/19/2013

OP is proof that New Yorkers have a more insular world view than any flyover from Kansas.

by Anonymousreply 2805/19/2013

If it were to become a separate state, then you could pass new laws to allow the beating and shooting of queers.

by Anonymousreply 3405/20/2013

I hope not. I just got here this morning. (3 bucks, two bags, one me)

by Anonymousreply 3505/20/2013

[quote]CA needs more oil than it can produce, although at least it could grow most of its own food.

Using whose water?

by Anonymousreply 3605/20/2013

I always thought Long Island should become a separate state from NY. The people who live on it all say where they're from like it already is: "I'm from Bayshore, Long Island." No, you're from Bayshore, New York.

by Anonymousreply 3705/20/2013

R36, there's plenty of water in Northern California.

by Anonymousreply 3805/20/2013

They could (and should) pay market prices for water. As it is, they steal water from other states.

by Anonymousreply 3905/20/2013

I think the split could occur. Then I could be "Dictator for Life."

by Anonymousreply 4105/30/2013

R41, they would spit you out like a piece of undercooked 2 Guys pizza.

by Anonymousreply 4208/09/2013

"No. It epitomizes everything America stands for."

New York is moribund. All other American cities will pass over its carcass on the path to greatness.

by Anonymousreply 4308/09/2013

New York DLers openly mocked Rick Perry for suggesting that Texas secede. Consider yourselves openly mocked.

by Anonymousreply 4408/09/2013

understand why government is evil but still post hateful screeds when someone mentions Mises, Rothbard or Rockwell.R39 and R40

by Anonymousreply 4608/15/2013

I hate these pseudo-Libertarians. They are just so fucking stupid that I don't know how they manage to keep breathing in and out.

President Lincoln and 620,000 dead American soldiers settled this matter in 1865. It's over and done with, no matter how much ridiculous whining you indulge in.

The answer to "Should [State X] secede from the Union" is always NO.

by Anonymousreply 4708/15/2013

Yes. Totally. Small is better. A city state is a good idea. Like Singapore. No we dont have to grow our own food - we get it from NJ with Fresh Direct. We have Wall Street, broadway, Madison Avenue and the best talent from all over the world. It will be good not to have to deal with what the rest of the state thinks. Of course we keep the name. Upstate can be called Buffalo.

by Anonymousreply 4808/15/2013

Yes. Please.

A free state of Manhattan would be the new Western Hong Kong.

by Anonymousreply 4912/09/2014

No. It should be thrown out.

by Anonymousreply 5012/10/2014

In the past I would have dismissed any talk of secession out of hand, but as time goes on, Republicans are really digging in their heels AND becoming more extreme, even to the point that elected officials run a real risk of being rejected by their party if they cooperate in any way with or show any respect for a member of the Democratic party, including the president.

It's my opinion that if the trend continues unabated, it will eventually break the country's back so to speak, and the union will splinter.

by Anonymousreply 5112/10/2014

Bye-bye, NYC! Don't let the door hit ya on the way out!

by Anonymousreply 5212/10/2014

New Yorkers have terribly overbloated egos, no?

by Anonymousreply 5312/10/2014

If you Yankee bastards had minded yor own god danged business in the first place, instead of starting your War of Northern Aggression on us innocent, hard working, GOD FEARING white boys, you wouldnlt BE in the mess youlre in. Hell, you perverts actually believe the homosickuals should be seen in public by decent people. You just keep all them fan dancing misfits above the Mason-Dixon and West of Ol' Miss, ya hear? And griping about high taxes is OUR thing, not yorn, so just pipe down already. Ain't it enough we let you even work to pay taxes? Good god almighty you carpet baggin' Yankees are dumb. We're all for you idiots seceeding so we can take our nation back from commie jew control. And take the rest of the libruhlz with ya!!

Nuke a godless, communist, gay baby seal for Christ!! Sooo weee pig!

by Anonymousreply 5412/10/2014

...and there you have it!

by Anonymousreply 5512/10/2014

I think any form of re-drawing borders & various divisions in this country would be more time, money & general bureaucratic bullshit than any advantage would be worth. I think it's a more more pragmatic method to improve society within the framework of the national subdivions we do have.

by Anonymousreply 5612/10/2014

*AHEM* R4!

by Anonymousreply 5712/10/2014

You know Charles DeGaulle spent nearly his entire post-war political life threatening little Monaco with invasion. Keep that in mind, NYC.

by Anonymousreply 5812/10/2014

I traveled through the South frequently. Some of the funniest local news and commercials I've seen anywhere, for their sheer stupidity. One featured a local combover lawyer in a hunting outfit, with a dog and shotgun. That one he was running for some political seat. RIGHT AFTER it came his Personal Injury commercial. I laughed for hours over that one.

by Anonymousreply 5912/11/2014

Why should NYC remain chained to backwards states?

If it seceded it could set internal medical care policies, criminal laws, etc. to protect us.

Instead we give billions in taxes to DC and get shit in return.

by Anonymousreply 6012/31/2014

Why bother separating when you rule the entire nation now?

by Anonymousreply 6112/31/2014

R61-

ask anyone who has ever been "stop-n-frisk"ed.

Without the "Washington, DC" political bullshit ---well then drugs, gambling and prostitution would've been legal in NYC 40 years ago.

Unfortunately the Big Banks on Wall Street control Congress, so this will never happen.

by Anonymousreply 6212/31/2014

Poverty has been rising in NYC. According to 2013 Census data, 21.2 % of NYC lives at or below the poverty line.

The federal government provides subsidized housing, healthcare (Medicaid), food (SNAP/food stamps) and monthly stipends (welfare/SSI) to NYC's impoverished that allows them to sustain their lives. If NYC were to become independent, it would have to take over these programs, which cost 100's of millions of dollars per year. Or risk close to 2 million hungry, homeless people taking to the streets.

by Anonymousreply 6312/31/2014

R63-

Most of the money printed by the Federal Reserve has been funneled to the NYC and SF areas, with parts of ND/TX benefiting.

Why should NYC be starving?

Wait- unless that new money, printed by the government and big banks, was being given to the bank execs, and their cronies, and the media, and the big military and media suppliers- well, that might change the narrative.

The "little people" are being destroyed by the government, and the government knows it...and is scared.

by Anonymousreply 6412/31/2014

R17-

NYC could import all the energy needs.

by Anonymousreply 6512/31/2014

It could lease military and time share nuclear weapons.

by Anonymousreply 6612/31/2014
Need more help? Click Here.