Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Adele - I had no idea she was kinda chavy and trashy

..until I saw her on 60 Minutes last weekend.

I've loved her since I first saw her interviewed on the Today Show about 3-4 years ago. She seemed shy, sweet, talking about wanting to find the right guy, etc..

I LOVE her music and her look, but after watching her on 60 Minutes and then digging up a few other interviews of her, she seems like one of those common Brit chav types. A little foul mouthed, somewhat obnoxious, brags about what she owns, etc.

What happend? Or, has she always been that way? I suppose fame really does ruin people.

by Anonymousreply 10204/30/2013

I think she was always like that. I saw her in an interview last year and she was foul-mouthed and a heavy cockney accent. It seems she's just being herself. I like her.

by Anonymousreply 102/16/2012

I think she's always been like that. She smokes, curses, chews gum at awards shows. Isn't she from a working class family in London?

by Anonymousreply 202/16/2012

She is from London and not posh by any means but I don't think she is chavy or trashy at all. Just a normal London girl.

by Anonymousreply 302/16/2012

[quote]Isn't she from a working class family in London?

Try a single mom.

by Anonymousreply 402/16/2012

She eats cats.

by Anonymousreply 502/16/2012

I love her. I saw an interview with that fey British talk show host where she says Sarah Palin wanted to meet her but she refused because she has gay friends.

by Anonymousreply 602/16/2012

Does she have a cockney accent or is that just "estuary English"?

by Anonymousreply 702/16/2012

I don't see what's trashy about talking about your boogers while receiving an award.

by Anonymousreply 802/16/2012

I never want to know anything about people whose work I admire. It's better that way.

by Anonymousreply 902/16/2012

LOL, get over it, grandma OP. Yeah, she was always like that.

I have no idea why Anderson Cooper said she had a cockney accent.

by Anonymousreply 1002/16/2012

Ah...she's in show business, think it through.

by Anonymousreply 1102/16/2012

What the FUCK is chavy?

by Anonymousreply 1202/16/2012

[quote]I think she's always been like that. She smokes, curses, chews gum at awards shows. Isn't she from a working class family in London?

The smoking and cursing don't bother me but CHEWING GUM? To me that is the epitome of tacky and low class.

I know. MARY!

by Anonymousreply 1302/16/2012

British white trash R12

by Anonymousreply 1402/16/2012

Right, I haven't heard the term cockney used outside a Dickens novel? Is that a common term?

by Anonymousreply 1502/16/2012

"I love her. I saw an interview with that fey British talk show host where she says Sarah Palin wanted to meet her but she refused because she has gay friends."

Not sure if it was the same show but she also said when she saw Palin she thought it was Tina Fey and was so excited to talk to Tina.

by Anonymousreply 1602/16/2012

Chewing gum is fine. Chewing gum during your Grammy acceptance speeches? Oy.

by Anonymousreply 1702/16/2012

Yes it is the common term for an east Londoner. Jesus, don't you Americans know anything?

by Anonymousreply 1902/16/2012

I find Victoria Beckham (who had the advantage of a more prosperous background) to be far more common because she tries ever so hard not to be.

by Anonymousreply 2002/16/2012

Guardianistas, R18? I thought the G was a fairly ordinary center-left source. There are people who associate their identity with it?

Or is it a term of derision others use for the sort of people here in the states who embrace the NYT, thinking it's really a liberal paper?

by Anonymousreply 2102/16/2012

Please, like that other noted Grammy winner Beyonce is so erudite.

by Anonymousreply 2202/16/2012

[quote]Or is it a term of derision others use for the sort of people here in the states who embrace the NYT, thinking it's really a liberal paper?

You got it.

by Anonymousreply 2302/16/2012

R21, I don't know if you're familiar with the term SWPL (Stuff White People Like), which basically means the same thing as Guardianista, i.e. liberals who are economically libertarian and globalist but culturally extremely PC. Their position allows them to look morally superior while protecting their class interests.

Right wingers do throw the term around, but so do some old school economic leftists. Guardianista probably refers mostly to some of the editorials and pages like Comment is Free, which often feature commenters who focus excessively on cultural over economic issues, probably because they'd prefer not to draw attention to their own elevated class position.

by Anonymousreply 2402/16/2012

I was more sad to hear her problems with her voice were caused by her smoking.

Maybe she was chewing nicorette gum? I hope so.

Note: See Whitney's last performance for the evidence of smoking on the voice of singers.

by Anonymousreply 2502/16/2012

you MUST watch this

by Anonymousreply 2602/16/2012

Thanks, R18/24.

by Anonymousreply 2702/16/2012

I believe the correct term is "Grauniadista."

by Anonymousreply 2802/16/2012

A cockney accent is indeed correct when speaking about working class people from the east end of London.

by Anonymousreply 2902/16/2012

I thought "chav" could apply equally to blacks and whites though the term was originally coined to describe whites who adopt black fashion and speech and try to be "ghetto" (or whatever the corresponding term is in the UK).

by Anonymousreply 3002/16/2012

You're welcome, R21, and I thank you for encouraging me to reconsider using the term, because I don't want to be confused with the people the quote @ R23 is referring to.

by Anonymousreply 3102/16/2012

Arm frohm Pardingthun.

Whoat dew ewww fargehts expect???

by Anonymousreply 3202/16/2012

Adele and 21 will soon be number 1 in the US for longer than any other woman in chart history.

Most weeks at number one (54 weeks) West Side Story – Soundtrack (1962–63) (37 weeks) Thriller – Michael Jackson (1983–84) (31 weeks) Calypso – Harry Belafonte (1956–57) (31 weeks) South Pacific – Soundtrack (1958–59) (31 weeks) Rumours – Fleetwood Mac (1977–78) (24 weeks) Saturday Night Fever – Bee Gees/Soundtrack (1978) (24 weeks) Purple Rain – Prince and the Revolution (1984–85) (21 weeks) Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'Em – MC Hammer (1990) (20 weeks) The Bodyguard – Whitney Houston/Soundtrack (1992–93) (20 weeks) Blue Hawaii – Elvis Presley (1961–6

I believe she wrote all those songs on 21.she's going make bank.

by Anonymousreply 3302/16/2012

I can't believe the album is this much of a hit. I own it and I like some of the songs on it, but a lot of them are completely forgettable and boring. It's a very uneven album IMO.

by Anonymousreply 3402/16/2012

I knew immediately that the woman interviewing Adela was not Japanese.

Was Adela aware this woman Wendy van Dijk was Ushi? I gather Ushi has made a career of playing this Japanese character, is she the Dutch version of Borat?

by Anonymousreply 3502/16/2012

Most entertainers are not exactly royalty or particularly classy.

Dusty Springfield, who I LOVE, was trashy in her way too. Fall-down drunk, addict, given to food fights, etc.

by Anonymousreply 3602/16/2012

Linkin Park's version of "Rolling In The Deep" is brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 3702/16/2012

R32: And has this led to an interest in trains?

by Anonymousreply 3802/16/2012

Very funny, r26!

by Anonymousreply 3902/16/2012

I'm also reminded, R36, of the many famous British classical musicians from modest backgrounds. Leopold Stokowski's father was a cabinet maker, for example. Most interesting British artists don't come from posh origins.

by Anonymousreply 4002/16/2012

I heard Polly Harvey talk about Let England Shake after she won some UK award, it was almost a shock to hear a musician, that spoke so well, clear with an articulate and intelligent beautiful soft speaking voice. It's a shame that is an exception to the celeb rule.

by Anonymousreply 4102/16/2012

Find her face oddly masklike and feel she is very cut off. Sad cause she is so young...

by Anonymousreply 4202/16/2012

by Anonymousreply 4302/16/2012

[R41]= WASP

by Anonymousreply 4402/16/2012

Also, she's a bit right-wing. Didn't she whine how she had to pay her taxes and complained about free health care in the UK?

by Anonymousreply 4502/16/2012

She's overhyped crap and will never last. Her singing is a joke.

by Anonymousreply 4602/16/2012

Can't R46 come up with better bait than that?

by Anonymousreply 4702/16/2012

Not r46 but I agree with him/her. She's an English fat cow that got lucky. Nothing special about her voice and Rolling In The Deep is a tiresome, shallow , boring song.

by Anonymousreply 4802/16/2012

[quote]Chav or chavvy means white nigger. It's as simple as that. Guardianistas and their ilk freely use insulting terms for working class whites that they'd never dare to use for blacks and other non-whites. In a certain sense, it's a form of white supremacism. They condescendingly feel blacks and Pakistanis simply can't help themselves, but white people should be able to do better.

No, they generally feel that it is righteous to insult and stereotype white people. Whatever her ethnicity, Adelle is boring, bland and uninterestingly trashy.

by Anonymousreply 4902/16/2012

Good for her. For some reason I have a bit of a crush on chav girls. Lauren Socha, who plays Kelly on Misfits, gives me wood.

And I'm not bisexual at all. Or at least I never thought I was.

by Anonymousreply 5002/16/2012

Most British people are trash now. All the stuff about British people having good manners is a joke.

by Anonymousreply 5102/16/2012

STFU loser @ R48. We love her.

by Anonymousreply 5202/16/2012

Why are British people so ugly?

by Anonymousreply 5302/16/2012

Katy Brand parody from 2009, Adele's speaking voice was a shock to me too.

by Anonymousreply 5402/16/2012

How chavvy will be discovered soon. Her ex is threatening to leak a sex tape if this French celebrity rag is to be believed.

by Anonymousreply 5502/16/2012

Wow, R55, hopefully not the one she's mooning over in that song.

by Anonymousreply 5602/16/2012

She grew up in Tottenham and Brixton. That alone should have given you the idea.

by Anonymousreply 5702/16/2012

Brixton Stand Up!!

by Anonymousreply 5802/16/2012

Apparently Jesse J, Estelle and Adele all grew up in the same neighbourhood and went to the same schools in Brixton.

by Anonymousreply 5902/16/2012

I really like Adele's personality. It's cliche to say, but she does seem "real."

And, I generally like her music and appreciate her singing, but I don't understand the seemingly common view that she's one of the most incredible artists ever. I mean she's good, but she's not THAT good.

by Anonymousreply 6002/17/2012

So is "chav" basically the American "wigger"?

by Anonymousreply 6102/17/2012

I thought she was delightful. They never do learn how to pronounce "th," do vey? Not a word about the figure; she's built like Queen Victoria.

I would very much like to hear her sing something written for her voice. I'm tired of this tuneless pop crap.

by Anonymousreply 6202/17/2012

I was offended by Adele chewing gum on the Grammy stage as she collected her award.

Chewing gum then was gauche, crude, and very low class.

Why did she chew gum on stage?

by Anonymousreply 6302/17/2012

[quote] Dusty Springfield, who I LOVE, was trashy in her way too. Fall-down drunk, addict, given to food fights, etc.

Love Dusty too. Adele's a fine enough singer but as stated elsewhere, the album isn't all that good.

Dusty sang rings around most of these bitches today, Adele included.

And [R41] Polly Harvey is amazing. It IS a shame that intelligence is the exception and not the rule.

Unfortunately, many of today's music consumers, especially younger audiences, don't recognize mature, great, complex music. A lot of buyers want repetitive swill. That's why Alison Moyet - who Adele should be thanking every fucking day - just got dropped by her label. That's why people barely know of the magnificent Kirsty MacColl, if they know of her at all.

(Yes, I know, that was the most eldergay statement EVER.)

by Anonymousreply 6402/17/2012

Adele sex tape?

by Anonymousreply 6502/17/2012

[quote] She eats cats.

Wrapped in bacon.

by Anonymousreply 6602/17/2012

I don't know why all the fuss about her.

I had the opportunity to buy her songs or Glee's version of her songs on Itunes...I chose Glee's was MUCH BETTA'

by Anonymousreply 6702/17/2012

It's not really her in the sex tape.

by Anonymousreply 6802/17/2012

'We broke down the barriers, we put up with the insults. We did it all to bring our artistry to America and the world....and you thank us by embracing the mediocrity that is Adele."

by Anonymousreply 6902/17/2012

The English sound like they're swallowing their words when they talk.

by Anonymousreply 7002/17/2012

Chavy is antisocial. Adele has heart and humor.

by Anonymousreply 7102/17/2012

Who cares [R63]! It's better than smoking which is probably why she's chewing gum or because of nerves.

Now go back to your knitting.

by Anonymousreply 7202/18/2012

I'm afraid Adele is going to blow through all her money. I was surprised to hear somewhere that she's only worth $12-18 million, and judging from the size of that mansion she was renting in the U.K. she's a big spender.

by Anonymousreply 7302/18/2012

Adele (wearing an almost identical dress as the one she wore to the Grammys) flipping off the audience when her Brit Album of the Year speech is cut off.

by Anonymousreply 7402/21/2012

So chav.

I saw two pictures of her from that awards and they were both black.

She's not a wannabe goth like Rooney Mara with her hair and makeup so what gives with the funeral chic awards look?

I mean I know big girls like black as a slimming color, but can't she add a dark purple or navy or something to the mix?

by Anonymousreply 7502/21/2012

CHAV = Council housed and violent

by Anonymousreply 7602/22/2012

As a Brit myself, I can tell you that Adele grates on the general public. She is a very cheap, crass, obnoxious, vulgar, foul mouthed woman. It is not that she has a Cockney accent but the personality. Listen to her music yes, she is a great talent but avoid the interviews. This is one woman for whom poise, grace and elocution lessons will do nothing

by Anonymousreply 7701/29/2013

Adele is pure trash. I don't like any of her music and cannot understand why most people are infatuated with this overweight, foul-mouthed, vulgar woman.

by Anonymousreply 7801/29/2013

As a singer, I'm so tired of screamers. She screams. There is no range there. It's why she had to have surgery for nodules barely into her 20's. These singers will have no longevity, screamers do not last vocally, ie: Whitney. Smoking was one part of her vocal impairment, the other was a lifetime of screeching and wearing her vocal chords away. The voice is an instrument, after all. Bang it around enough, and it stops making beautiful tones, eventually.

by Anonymousreply 7901/29/2013

Who are some singers you admire, R79? I'd like my untrained ear to learn the difference between popular singers with excellent technique and those who get by because they can hold a tune.

by Anonymousreply 8001/29/2013

Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughn, Patsy Cline, Annie Lennox, Barbra Streisand, Judy Garland, Rosemary Clooney, early Mariah Carey, Renee Flemming.

by Anonymousreply 8101/29/2013

I always though "chav" was somehow related to "chavo" in Spanish, which means something like "guy."

by Anonymousreply 8201/31/2013

I think that all of these comments are childish and irrashional!!! Stop and look at the bigger picture people she is young and expressing her self I feel in a positive manor music is a beautiful thing, if your criticizing her because of her choice of words you should truly consider her age! I believe people with these negative comments ruin our youths confidence!!! She is one of the few young stars that wears all of her clothes and shows great appreciation for where she is today!! One more thing Chavy is a perfect example of the comments above!! I believe she will grow into herself just fine!!

by Anonymousreply 8302/03/2013

Reducing Whitney to a mere "screamer" is a bit much r79. She was more than that.

by Anonymousreply 8402/07/2013

So fat, boring and overrated. Hate her crappy songs and voice.

by Anonymousreply 8502/07/2013

I fell in love with her at least 6 months before everyone went crazy for her. I loved her 'Chasing Pavement' from a few years ago.

Then, early last year I saw her on a few interviews and she was just a total turn-off. As the OP of this thread eluded to, she came off as really crass and foul mouthed.

I get it that you want to come across as young and 'edgy' with your mouth and want to be considered working-class-girl-made-good and stuff, but why is it so cool to talk like some nasty ho, especially when you sing such beautiful music?

Saw her acceptance speech from one of the recent awards shows recently and she was just as crass and foul mouthed on stage. I'm pretty much over her.

by Anonymousreply 8602/07/2013

[quote]the other was a lifetime of screeching and wearing her vocal chords away.

Cords. Vocal cords.

Anyway, Adele's style is much less scream-y than pop stars of recent years. I also appreciate that she doesn't overuse melisma like so many have (Christina Aguilera is one of the worst offenders).

by Anonymousreply 8702/07/2013

The British love her. She's the only real chance they currently have to say they have a major, successful single among them.

How sad for them.

by Anonymousreply 8802/07/2013

I think she's talented, but I find her music a bit dull. I think she's thoroughly charming in interviews and funny as hell. I'd actually prefer seeing an interview with her to hearing her music. Undeniably nice voice, though, and the people claiming that she screams/doesn't sing correctly have no idea what they're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 8902/07/2013

she's a wanker

by Anonymousreply 9002/07/2013

Didn't deserve all those Grammys, that song was overplayed and annoying. And the rest of the songs on that album suck ass! and she shouldn't have turned Cher down. She'll be nobody in a couple of years.

by Anonymousreply 9102/07/2013

Tough crowd!

by Anonymousreply 9202/07/2013

I can understand why some people feel like she's overrated. The media has a tendency to run things into the ground and overexpose the new hot thing (GaGa). However, she does have talent. She's well-trained and she has very good technique (not as good as Whitney's technique in her prime but very few can match Whitney's ability. Streisand had great technique in her prime as well).

She doesn't have the greatest range but she's still good. I love soul music and I think she does blue-eyed soul very well (the English usually do) and I find her to be more authentic than Amy Whinehouse ( I know people will hate me for saying that). She's good but she's also overexposed and that could negatively impact her career.

by Anonymousreply 9302/07/2013

You consider Adele to be "soul" r93? She's never seen the inside of a black church.

by Anonymousreply 9402/08/2013

R74, the BRIT award is kinda kitschy. Looks like a bowling pin a 5-year-old took his paint set to.

by Anonymousreply 9502/08/2013

She can't mind her own business, classic chav behaviour looking to inject herself in other peoples battles. She actually confronted Chris Brown when he didn't join in the standing ovation for Frank Ocean.

[quote]Chris Brown receives an ear full from Adele as he snubs nemesis Frank Ocean's Grammy win

Why should he applaud a rival who tried to get his probation revoked?

by Anonymousreply 9602/11/2013

She's popular because in comparison to other British women, she's alright looking. People seem to forget how ugly the English and Italian females are ugly. Now especially in comparison to their men. Looks in Europe don't come from England or Italy but the men are way better looking than the female population.

by Anonymousreply 9702/11/2013

[quote]Chav or chavvy means white nigger. It's as simple as that. Guardianistas and their ilk freely use insulting terms for working class whites that they'd never dare to use for blacks and other non-whites. In a certain sense, [bold]it's a form of white supremacism[/bold]. They condescendingly feel blacks and Pakistanis simply can't help themselves, but white people should be able to do better.

FOR FUCK'S SAKE- THANK YOU. This is the best explanation of this term I've ever read.

"White Trash" falls under the same category. It is essentially racist - against non-whites. It's an ugly phrase.

by Anonymousreply 9802/11/2013

[quote]CHAV = Council housed and violent

Wow. For real?

No wonder people get pissed at this term. That's disgusted to label anyone as this. What horrible piece of shit would call anyone this?

by Anonymousreply 9902/11/2013

You can have money and still be a chav.

by Anonymousreply 10002/11/2013

R18 totally agree with you.

by Anonymousreply 10102/11/2013

just for the record "chav" means council housed and violent but it is more commonly associated now with little bastards who just want to annoy everyone they see.

by Anonymousreply 10204/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!