and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Can Anal Sex Cause Prostate Cancer?

Well?

by Anonymousreply 6801/18/2013

Yes.

Next.

by Anonymousreply 102/15/2012

Thought I read that HPV can cause anal cancer. Too tired to look it up.

by Anonymousreply 402/15/2012

The top can get prostatitis which can drive some to suicide.

by Anonymousreply 502/15/2012

Anal cancer seems so unfair

by Anonymousreply 602/15/2012

Not a MD here, but someone else in the health sciences here.

Receiving anal sex introduces matter ((bacteria, viruses and other microorgamisms) into the anal cavity. This matter can be in semen, on the surface of toys, or on the skin of your partner. Multiple exposures (including multiple partners over a lifetime) introduces new viruses and new organism into your body). The human skin (epidermis) is an excellent defense for the body, but the tissues of the anal cavity are not as tough.

There is strong evidence of a viral cause to some cancers (HPV and cervical cancer, for example). There has not been much sponsored scientific research on the links of multiple sexual partners and cancer in gay men. That is just not something that NIH is funding right now.

While there is no direct evidence linking prostate cancer to anal sex, it is not untenable to believe that taking multiple BB loads over a lifetime or being a pass-around BB party bottom does not expose you to potential health risks other than STDs. There might be HPV or other viral linkages to cancer yet to be verified.

by Anonymousreply 802/15/2012

My best friend had prostate cancer, now in remission 5 and a half years after a total prostatectomy, and he was a top who received anal probably less than a dozen times over his 30 years of sexual activity.

And what about straight men who have never had anal sex deceptively?

by Anonymousreply 1202/15/2012

84, r3? Really?

by Anonymousreply 1302/15/2012

Non-smokers get lung cancer, R12, do you think that means smoking is not the major cause of lung cancer?

People with one to five oral sex partners in their lifetime have approximately double the risk of throat cancer compared to those who never engaged in this activity; people with more than five oral sex partners have a 250% increased risk. I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers are similar for anal sex.

by Anonymousreply 1402/15/2012

You know, for a gay board, this is the most anti-anal sex place on the web. Between the people screaming prolapse and Depends, to the people crying about big dicks hurting, and the regular abuses bottoms get on here and now the anal sex causes cancer brigade. Has this place been taken over by Marcus Bachman and his minions or something?

by Anonymousreply 1502/15/2012

Maybe so, R14, but without studies to back it up, speculation is irrelevant.

I don't think at this point we even have statistics to show whether gay men get prostate cancer at a higher rate than straight men, and those numbers shouldn't be hard to find, if there was a correlation.

Particularly since there seems to be such an epidemic of prostate cancer among all men.

I'm not suggesting you're wrong, just that speculation and what seems logical are irrelevant when it comes to cancer research. In scientific research, you have to have the numbers or any assertions have no validity.

by Anonymousreply 1602/15/2012

My partner recently found out that his PSA is high. I have asked this question to three doctors in the last month. All of them have given me an emphatic, "No. Anal sex does not cause Prostate Cancer."

by Anonymousreply 1802/15/2012

Given the number of straight men who develop prostate cancer, basic common sense should tell you that being a bottom has nothing to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 1902/15/2012

R3 must be right, because autopsy results show that the majority of men who die at the age of 85 or older -- regardless of the cause -- have prostate cancer. Usually it is undetected and so slow that it will not kill them. More good news? It is estimated that ALL men get prostate cancer by the age of 107. There aren't enough men who make it to 107 and then get autopsied to verify this number. Basically, who does autopsies on 107 year old people? Who cares about the cause of death? Who is concerned or surprised by their deaths? Who's around to care?

by Anonymousreply 2002/15/2012

[quote]Given the number of straight men who develop prostate cancer, basic common sense should tell you that being a bottom has nothing to do with it.

People get cancer from all different things, you moron. That's like saying people only get lung cancer from smoking.

Anal sex is one way to get prostate cancer, and it ups the averages of getting it big time.

"Gay and bisexual men (who have sex with other men) are about 17 times more likely to develop anal cancer than men who only have sex with women."

by Anonymousreply 2102/15/2012

r20, if you keep pumping your anal cavity with cock or by other means, you can develop prostate cancer before 30.

by Anonymousreply 2202/15/2012

R15, I don't think a measured discussion of the potential risks of certain sexual practices is "anti-sex".

by Anonymousreply 2302/15/2012

To to summarize this thread - NEVER HAVE SEX even once!

by Anonymousreply 2402/15/2012

Laugh if you want to, R24, but everyone who had sex prior to 1910 died. Results for those who have had sex since 1910 are inconclusive.

by Anonymousreply 2502/15/2012

and vaginal intercourse leads to ovarian cancer....next

by Anonymousreply 2602/15/2012

To to summarize this thread - Inform yourself of potential risks so you can make intelligent decisions about sex at your own comfort level.

by Anonymousreply 2702/15/2012

R26, how do you know it was intercourse that caused it? There are many factors.

by Anonymousreply 2802/15/2012

lots of lunatics on this thread

by Anonymousreply 2902/15/2012

And the first sin was intercourse. The first sin was intercourse.

Say it!

by Anonymousreply 3002/15/2012

r20 is correct. I recently have been diagnosed with prostate cancer and am doing active surveillance (see link).

My Urologist told me that 90% of men at age 90 have prostate cancer. I'm 66 and at my age approximately 60% of men have prostate cancer.

by Anonymousreply 3102/15/2012

R31, first off, good luck. I am R20, and am well-informed on this topic because I was diagnosed with prostate cancer six years ago at 52. My PSA has been undetectable for the 5.75 years since treatment.

Just to keep this relevant to the thread, it is highly unlikely that my cancer was caused by anal sex. I had indeed had anal sex, but was usually not the one being penetrated. It became clear that I was on precisely the same timeline as my father and grandfather, whose cancers were necessarily discovered later in their lives, because of the diagnostic tools available. But your situation is far more important than this thread, so let me get back to you.

I urge you to find a urological oncologist with whom you are entirely comfortable -- perhaps you already have. And even so, get another opinion, from someone not associated with that first MD. I also urge you to pay close attention to the experts you trust; do not try to second guess them based on information you glean from the internet. If you can learn more here than they know, you desperately need to find better doctors.

Do not discount the possibility of surgery, if your MD recommends it. It seems far less desirable than watchful waiting or even some forms of radiation, but I am living proof (the operative word being "living,") that if the tumor is not advanced, and the surgeon is skillful, one does not wind up with either incontinence or impotence.

So, now it looks as though I'm eventually going to die of something other than I'd expected, based on my family history. I'd better take better care of myself after all. Odds are you'll be fine too. Again, good luck.

by Anonymousreply 3202/15/2012

HPV can cause cancer.

But if OP is asking about anal sex without transmission of underlying disease as potentially carcinogenic, I don't see how that would be the case.

I've never heard prostate cancer is more common among men who get fucked, or that men who get fucked get prostate cancer at an earlier age, than other men.

In fact - although I wouldn't bank on this as reliable - I believe I've heard that prostatic stimulation might be healthy for the prostate.

by Anonymousreply 3302/15/2012

Thanks for the kind words and great advice r32.

In keeping on topic I wonder if the better question might be if anal sex can stimulate prostate cancer or make it become more aggressive. It doesn't look like anal sex causes prostate cancer though.

by Anonymousreply 3402/15/2012

Indeed, R33, it appears that the number of ejaculations is inversely related to the probability of developing prostate cancer. Of course, this might be anecdotal. Sadly, my urologist advised that after my diagnosis it was too late to make up for lost time.

I might also observe that the incidence of prostate cancer among priests is not appreciably higher than among other men. Draw your own conclusions from that.

by Anonymousreply 3502/15/2012

the question was, can anal sex cause prostate cancer? question should be, do gay men experience a higher rate of prostate cancer than straight men?

by Anonymousreply 3602/15/2012

Why do so many of you hate gay sex?

by Anonymousreply 3802/15/2012

This article states gay men have lower rates of prostate cancer than straight men, but higher rates of anal cancer. So the prostates seems to be having a good healthy time being pounded, but all those different partners cause a higher rate of anal cancer. This corresponds to the higher rate of cervical cancer for hyper active women. Both cervical and anal cancers are "whormoan" driven.

by Anonymousreply 3902/15/2012

To my knowlege (I am in the academic medicine world professionally) there is no association between anal sex and prostate cancer.

by Anonymousreply 4002/15/2012

I'm posting another potentially useful link for r31 and/or any other men here who may be facing prostate issues.

One question I have is whether or not men who go bald at a young age (say, starting in their teens or twenties) are more likely to get prostate cancer sooner, and if so, whether having them take DHT hormone-blocking meds like Propecia could help prevent prostate cancer.

As for anal sex causing prostate cancer, I can't recall ever reading about any link between the two. HPV is obviously linked to higher incidents of cancer so, as others have already noted here, if you are penetrated anally during sex your risk of contracting HPV increases and therefore so does your risk of anal cancer.

by Anonymousreply 4102/15/2012

r41 here again, posting one more interesting link re: gay men and HPV cancer. The rate of oral cancer caused by HPV is going up in men (while the rate of oral cancers caused by tobacco use is going down). The good news is that HPV-type oral cancers are easier to treat, but the bad news is they're not easy to screen for or catch early, and the documented incidence of HPV-related oral cancers, particularly in [gay] men, has risen fairly dramatically over the last couple of decades.

by Anonymousreply 4202/15/2012

Thanks r41

For you information I starting going bald in my early 20's. A bigger factor for me is that my father died from (not with like most men) prostate cancer as did his brothers and father.

Again, it looks like anal sex does not cause prostate cancer and may even be beneficial

OP - if you are concerned about this then definitely have a digital exam and PSA test.

Keep in mind that one PSA test result, whether high or low, does not necessarily mean that you do or do not have prostate cancer.

by Anonymousreply 4402/15/2012

I only know three men who have had prostate cancer. All were straight married men.

by Anonymousreply 4502/15/2012

Well, that proves it, then, R45.

There have already been gay men who have had prostate cancer posting on this thread, and yet your universe of three straight men is supposed to mean something?

by Anonymousreply 4602/15/2012

It means, r46, that straight men who don't normally take part in anal sex get prostate cancer despite all the tin hatters in this thread who want to make it a gay disease. Got that moron?

by Anonymousreply 4702/15/2012

I think lack of anal sex is what causes prostate cancer.

by Anonymousreply 4802/15/2012

Having recently engaged in a gloves-off flamefest with some xtian nutter over this very subject, I can report that wikipedia (anal sex & safe sex articles) states that the increased risk of anal cancer associated with anal sex is almost entirely due to the transmission of HPV. That is, anal sex in itself does not significantly raise the risk, but contracting HPV through unprotected anal sex does. Considering the bowel copes with massive amounts of bacterial activity, i'd be surprised if a germ on your partner's peepee is going to send your cancer risk skyrocketing. A pathogen, however, is a different matter.

by Anonymousreply 4902/15/2012

I'm a bit confused. Are you guys saying anal sex ups the risk of prostate cancer for the top or the bottom? How the hell would a bottom get prostate cancer from taking dicks ups his ass? The prostate is accessed through the urethra, not the anus.

by Anonymousreply 5002/16/2012

I've only had sex with 5 men (4 condoms, 1 bareback when he didn't put condom on in dark), each about 1-2, so less than 10 times in my life. I'm 37 and when I was about 27 I was diagnosed with anal HPV and the proctologist gave me about 4 acid treatments and said HPV goes away, contrary to everything I read on the internet saying the virus is always there. Last summer, I told my new proctologist that I'm worried my HPV will lead to cancer so he did a pap smear (ow!) and the results came back as having abnormal cells, but he said nothing to worry about for now and to have a yearly pap smear. I think there is a new test that detects which types of HPV you have and if it is one of the ones associated with cancer. I'm obviously a bit worried that I got it at 27 and I'm showing abnormal cells.

by Anonymousreply 5102/16/2012

anal acid treatments? anal pap smear? what?!

by Anonymousreply 5202/16/2012

R47, I came down firmly on the side of the argument that one's sexuality has nothing to do with the risk of prostate cancer. But your anecdotal contribution at R45 added nothing to the dialogue, other than the demonstration that you exist, know three people, and insist that someone pay attention to what you had to say under the guise of informing us about your vast experience. Post 47 makes it clear that not only are you self-important, you're rude.

by Anonymousreply 5302/16/2012

[quote]Gay and bisexual men (who have sex with other men) are about 17 times more likely to develop anal cancer than men who only have sex with women.

That's probably because they're more likely to get infected with HPV16 in their anal cavities than men who don't take it up the ass.

So, play safe, and if you're under 26, consider the Gardasil HPV vaccine, which contrary to what Michele Bachmann says, will not make you retarded.

Additionally, there are some data that suggest that HPV16 exposure in the throat (from swallowing cum) may cause throat cancer.

There was a hideous condition that was actually described in medical textbooks about 30-40 years ago called "Gay Bowel Syndrome" which was, to coin a phrase, a bunch of homophobic bullshit.

Anyway, the moral of this story is USE A GODDAMN CONDOM.

by Anonymousreply 5402/16/2012

You Fucking idiots, where a Rubber and be done with it! Tough Titties, Bare Backing Criminals.

by Anonymousreply 5501/16/2013

r14, your odds of getting throat cancer are about .064%. Unless sucking multiple cock raises my cancer rate by 10000%, I'm not too worried.

by Anonymousreply 5601/16/2013

[quote]your odds of getting throat cancer are about .064%.

Tell that to Michael Triplett, president of the National Lesbian & Gay Journalists Association. Oh wait, you can't, because he just died from HPV-related oral cancer. This past April, he wrote about his experience:

"In the past year, I’ve had: three surgeries, 42 days of traditional radiation treatment, five rounds of chemotherapy, and five days of advanced radiation treatment. My medical bills have surpassed the $600,000 mark—thank God for my employer’s great insurance plan. I’ve lost over 50 pounds and all my facial hair, had almost half of my tongue removed, undergone two high-tech robotic procedures, used up over 70 percent of my accumulated sick leave, and had my 76-year old mother living with me for about 12 weeks to assist in my care."

by Anonymousreply 5701/17/2013

R20 Cervical Cancer is caused (95%) by sex with men

by Anonymousreply 5801/17/2013

[quote]Frequent ejaculation prevents prostate cancer, doesn't it?

A piece of "information" that many doctors have been happy to perpetuate as fact.

by Anonymousreply 5901/17/2013

I had prostatitis from exuberant usage of a massive dildo. It made me cum blood for several days. I probably should have avoided ejaculating while I was recovering, but I had that massive dildo.

by Anonymousreply 6001/17/2013

It sounds like semen is radioactive upon reading this thread.

by Anonymousreply 6101/18/2013

Doctors claim that having fewer than twenty ejaculations a month can lead to prostate problems. You've gotta keeps things flowing as a preventive measure.

by Anonymousreply 6201/18/2013

well if you say so R62 then it must be a fact.

by Anonymousreply 6301/18/2013

r57, .064%. isn't 0%, dumbass.

Some people will always get a disease. But your odds? Less than 1 chance in 100. If you want it to be zero, best off yourself now and save us the hell of your future whine on DL.

by Anonymousreply 6401/18/2013

r49, try a better source than Wikipedia, dude.

by Anonymousreply 6501/18/2013

Gay men had significantly lower rates of prostate cancer but higher rates of other cancers.

Since receptive anal sex is almost exclusively practiced by gay (or bi) men, this would lead one to believe that, as a general rule, getting fucked might not increase one's risk of prostate cancer.

However, prostate cancer usually occurs in older men. And it may be that gay men are a younger population than men in general for a variety of reasons, including the fact that gay men are more likely to get other cancers.

by Anonymousreply 6601/18/2013

Study showing that gay men have a lower life expectancy. The authors of this study make clear at the link below that they vehemently object to the way this statistic has been politicized by anti-gay groups.

Again, since prostate cancer effects older men, the fact that gay men may - if this study is correct - have a lower life expectancy may explain why prostate cancer occurs less among gay men.

by Anonymousreply 6701/18/2013

R20, and all women have breast cancer by the time they are elderly as well.They have done autospies on a large group of dead 85 year olds and they all had it, undetected.

I guess the body just breaks down starting at 70 or so.

by Anonymousreply 6801/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.