Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Jonny Lee Miller To Play Sherlock Holmes In CBS Pilot ‘Elementary’

EXCLUSIVE: CBS’s Sherlock Holmes reboot Elementary has solved its first big mystery — who will play the famous detective. Former Eli Stone star Jonny Lee Miller has been tapped as the lead of the project, a modern take on the cases of Sherlock Holmes who now lives in New York City. Robert Doherty wrote the script and is executive producing the CSB TV Studios pilot with Sarah Timberman and Carl Beverly. Michael Cuesta is on board to direct. Following his stint as the title character on the ABC drama series Eli Stone, British actor Miller did an arc on Dexter. He most recently starred in Danny Boyle’s stage version of Frankenstein in London, a role that earned him a best actor Evening Standard Theatre Award. He shared it with his co-lead Benedict Cumberbatch who coincidentally plays Holmes on BBC’s much lauded series Sherlock, a modern update of Arthur Conan Doyle’s classic set in London. Miller, repped by IFA and Independent Talent Group, will next be seen in Tim Burton’s Dark Shadows and Neil Jordan’s Byzantium.

by Anonymousreply 5705/09/2013

What is wrong with his head?! He looks like he has encephalitis...

by Anonymousreply 102/15/2012

He's supposed to be straight, but he looks and acts gay, gay, gay to me.

by Anonymousreply 202/15/2012

That's a hell of a nose job.

by Anonymousreply 302/15/2012

He was married to Angelina Jolie during her wild youth. I doubt he's all that straight and certainly not vanilla.

A lot of people must wonder about that, too, R2. When I Googled him, the first suggestion that came up after his name alone was "jonny lee miller gay." Below is a pic of JLM snogging Jude Law.

I think he's still nice looking but he was much cuter in earlier films like Dracula 2000, with Gerard Butler (when Butler still was hot, as well).

by Anonymousreply 402/15/2012

Of course, they can't just show the brilliant reboot from the UK, because it stars Benedict Cumberbach.

That show is smart, sexy, and so fast it has to be watched more than once.

The US version can't be better.

by Anonymousreply 502/15/2012

Eli Stone was a great show. I wish it had lasted longer.

by Anonymousreply 602/15/2012

R4, the autofill on a google search means nothing. If you start to type in the name of ANY hot male celeb, "xxxxx gay" will almost always come up. I've been really surprised at how many times it occurs. Seriously, give it a try.

by Anonymousreply 702/15/2012

R7 I tried your recommendation on a few guys that have been mentioned today on DL.

The first suggestion Google gave after "tristan macmanus" was "tristan macmanus twitter" followed by "tristan macmanus girlfriend."

Got the exact same results with "nick jonas."

In neither case did "gay" appear as one of the 10 or so suggestions.

However....I typed in "joe jonas" and "joe jonas gay" was suggestion #3.

I was surprised it wasn't #1, frankly.

by Anonymousreply 902/15/2012

I liked Eli Stone, too. I like the idea of JLM back on US TV.

by Anonymousreply 1002/15/2012

He's very hot:

by Anonymousreply 1202/15/2012

So lame of CBS why not run the British version. America will never make it as good as the Brits.

by Anonymousreply 1302/15/2012

Was the Sherlock franchise for sale or something? All of a sudden Sherlock is all over the place. A movie, one English series, and now an US series?

Maybe someone should pitch a new Snow White series.

by Anonymousreply 1502/15/2012

Public Domain.

by Anonymousreply 1602/15/2012

The Brit show is unintelligible. From the mumbling to the whispering, I have to watch the episodes twice (once with closed captioning on and a second time to focus on the visuals) to enjoy them.

by Anonymousreply 1702/15/2012

R17, you just proved it is NOT "unintelligible".

By your own post, what you seem to expect is that it's spoken slowly enough for your ear to get it. And you do understand it, since you watch it twice, therefore, by definition, it's intelligible even to YOU.

As for it being categorically so, I'm from Sweden and even I understand it. No British person I know has trouble following it. Maybe you need to get your hearing checked, your TV checked, or just accept the fact that it's challenging and fast.

Holmes was supposed to be so brilliant, almost indecipherable, that his speed dazzled and confused people. The show, therefore, is dead on correct for the character.

If you enjoy it enough to watch it twice, maybe the problem is with you, not the show.

by Anonymousreply 1802/15/2012

BBC Sherlock is amazing. It gives you so much to go back and re-watch for across both seasons.

I do wish they'd give Mark Gatiss more credit though. Moffat hogs the spotlight and he's not even the best writer.

I fear the American version will once again water everything down. Goodbye homo-subtext. Goodbye brilliant smart face-paced mystery. Americans, like r17, just can't... keep...up.

by Anonymousreply 1902/15/2012

Says, YOU. r8. Most critics and the huge fan base the show has built would disagree.

Christ. Are you 12? It's fine if you have an opinion, but don't state it as absolute fact. You look like a fool.

by Anonymousreply 2002/15/2012

US television: dumbed down entertainment?

by Anonymousreply 2102/15/2012

[quote]Americans, like [R17], just can't... keep...up.

Uh, who said I'm American, sweetie?

by Anonymousreply 2202/15/2012

Watson is going to be a woman in the US version. Not happy about that. At all.

by Anonymousreply 2302/15/2012

Source, r23?

by Anonymousreply 2402/15/2012

JLM played a young, leather clad motorcyclist in an episode of "Keeping Up Appearances." Daisy was using him as a boy toy to make daddy bear Onslow jealous. It didn't work.

by Anonymousreply 2502/15/2012

The guy who plays Sherlock on the BBC shows looks like an inhumane science experiment gone wrong. And the show sucks.

by Anonymousreply 2602/15/2012

BBC's SHERLOCK is the Emperor's New Clothes time again. Cumberbatch does NOT have what it takes to be a leading man. Playing the villain in a STAR TREK prequel/sequel is much more his speed.

This better be shot in NY and not in LA or Toronto.

by Anonymousreply 2702/15/2012

Who is playing Watson?

by Anonymousreply 2802/15/2012

[quote]Who is playing Watson?

A woman. They are casting now.

by Anonymousreply 2902/15/2012

The Cumberbatch version of Sherlock was rebroadcast on my local PBS station the past three weeks, on Saturday night. I'm assuming other stations probably showed it as well.

by Anonymousreply 3002/15/2012

r23 29, where did you get that info? I'm looking for a story about it but I dont' see one.

IF Watson is a woman , then CBS is totally chicken shit.

by Anonymousreply 3102/15/2012

Or maybe they'd like the show to also appeal to the other 51 percent of the population.

by Anonymousreply 3202/15/2012

Another genius whose analysis is as shallow as it is short chimes in at R26, with his more obnoxious twin right behind him at R27.

Cumberbach in my opinion is quite sexy in Tinker, Tailor as the heroic gay agent, and a damn fine actor. In R27s dimwitted world, Holmes and Cumberbach must both be "leading men". What kind of stupid Hollywood mentality is that? Holmes is a complex character both originally but especially in this version is supposed to be beyond eccentric, quite odd. The actor nails it, with intelligence, which is what the part requires. Clearly that eluded our naysayers.

But like all the chronically damaged losers who watch shows that they claim "suck", they're not even bright enough to turn the channel and focus on what they do like. The fact that they hate the show only adds to the legitimacy of its superiority.

by Anonymousreply 3302/15/2012

Cumberbatch is a beautiful man. Very sexy. Has a huge fan base.

by Anonymousreply 3402/15/2012

R34, a huge fan base is not much of a selling point. Justin Bieber has a huge fan base.

However, I agree with R33. As I began to watch the rebroadcast, I wondered whether it would hold up to a second viewing. It was as good, if not better, the second time around. Both lead actors were excellent.

by Anonymousreply 3502/15/2012

It is SO MANY KINDS OF WRONG to cast Watson as a woman!

by Anonymousreply 3602/15/2012

That way they can be a couple -- you don't see even the "enlightened" British making a couple out of two men.

by Anonymousreply 3702/15/2012

R33 nails it. Perfectly said.

by Anonymousreply 3802/15/2012

R33, you finding that troll sexy neither makes him sexy in reality to anyone with decent vision nor does it make him talented which he is not.

I was able to sit through about twenty minutes of his demented stare and mumbling before I had to turn the crap off and watch something decent.

by Anonymousreply 3902/15/2012

You said closed captioning R17. That's why we assume American.

by Anonymousreply 4002/15/2012

[quote]you finding that troll sexy neither makes him sexy in reality to anyone with decent vision nor does it make him talented which he is not.

R39, are you really that stupid? Are you not aware that we all find different guys sexy? Anyone with decent vision? Or are you now the only man on earth who can deem who is sexy and who isn't. Really, you sound like a 13 year old boy.

by Anonymousreply 4102/15/2012

"That way they can be a couple "

Making them a couple will be horrible! Their relationship as roommates was very bully/doormat, which was believable as a temporary arrangement between friends. You could see that Watson stayed because life with Holmes was interesting, if exasperating, but he was also working to establish a sane life away from Holmes. Now if you make Watson a woman, and introduce any hint of a romantic element, the question of permanence will arise, and that will highlight all the unpleasantness in their relationship.

Holmes is a deeply unsympathetic character, and Watson’s good nature made him palatable to audiences. Making Watson a woman will either make him much more unsympathetic, either because he’ll be mistreating a woman who loves him at some level, or he’ll start being nice and lose his edge.

Either way will suck. But not as much as the network suits who thought of this.

by Anonymousreply 4202/15/2012

Still waiting on a source for the the female Watson ...

by Anonymousreply 4302/16/2012

R41 is on the money.

R39, the fact that you and people like you declare the show definitively awful - when critics and audiences around the world love it - and this man definitively unsexy and untalented - as if you are the arbiter of these things, just reaffirms exactly what I said before.

People like you prove the opposite of what you claim. You're incapable of seeing sex appeal, talent, and intelligence in something that's different from your tastes because you're just that narrow-minded.

And because you're that narrow-minded, your opinion is just that, one narrow-minded person's opinion.

by Anonymousreply 4402/16/2012

R33, must be British. Because only in Britain could the likes of Cumberbatch, Robbie Williams and Will Young be considered sexy.

by Anonymousreply 4502/17/2012

P.S. I remember when Robert Lindsay opened on Broadway in ME AND MY GIRL a commercial ran which contained a comment from a British lady exclaiming "Robert Lindsay is the sexiest man out in ages!" I guess they had to bring on a British lady to say that because no American ones would. And the hit revue FORBIDDEN BROADWAY obviously took notice of this because they did a spoof of that same commercial in which someone playing the British lady walked out on stage and exclaimed "Robert Lindsay is the sexiest man out since CHARLES LAUGHTON!"

Benedict Cumberbatch ain't handsome or sexy. He's creepy looking. Colin Firth sexy? Yes. Jonny Lee Miller? Sexy. Even Hugh Grant is sexy. But Cumberbatch is not and never will be and anyone who thinks he is are either British or have very low standards.

by Anonymousreply 4602/17/2012

He and Jude Law have both admitted they played around and both were into guys in school. Very likely he's bi but damn he is so hot -IFHH or he can FMH!

by Anonymousreply 4702/17/2012

The miserable superficiality of R45/6 is almost entertaining; not to get that someone can be sexy in a role, without necessarily being a male model, which appears to be his sole definition of talent.

by Anonymousreply 4802/17/2012

R48, Colin Firth is neither young nor looks like a model but he is considered very sexy. Hell, David Tennant looks like a praying mantis and is certainly no model but is still considered sexy. That enough to clarify my point?

I advise you not to go all "superficial" and claim you know anybody else who posts here. That's a tactic which will get you laughed off. I just call it as I (and apparently many others) see it. Cumberbatch is creepy looking with seriously limited charisma. He could have a career in small films and BBC1 costume dramas but that's it. No leading man roles for him in the future.

by Anonymousreply 4902/17/2012

Anyone here every had Jonny Lee?

by Anonymousreply 5002/18/2012

No one has seen him out with a guy?

by Anonymousreply 5102/18/2012

[quote]So lame of CBS why not run the British version. America will never make it as good as the Brits.

Right, I'm so sure CBS will run the British version during primetime. This is a major network, not BBC, you idiot.

by Anonymousreply 5202/18/2012

Plus the Brit version has only 6 episodes over its two seasons.

But is this specifically based on the Brit version? Is it Holmes in NY, or Holmes in NY in 2012?

by Anonymousreply 5302/19/2012

I think the new Masterpiece Mystery, George Gently, is much better than Sherlock. Martin Shaw is great, and the 60'S setting is an interesting twist.

by Anonymousreply 5402/20/2012

R23 was right.

by Anonymousreply 5502/28/2012

Sorry, have to agree that Cumberbatch is freaky looking. He looks like what was considered attractive in 1700s Britain.

Today, he just looks like an alien.

by Anonymousreply 5602/28/2012

So is he into the homosex, or what?

BTW, I've heard he's into BDSM from various sources. Maybe that part of Sherlock's character is directly inspired by real life.

by Anonymousreply 5705/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!