Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Apartment Zero

Has anyone else seen this? I saw it when it came out over 20 years ago. Two monumentally screwed up men, an emotional cripple and a sociopath, room together. Oh, yeah - there's huge underlying sexual tension and murder. Creepy, creepy eroticism as I recall it. Despite how objectively handsome both leads (young Colin Firth and Hart Bochner) were, the creepiness factor just swamped any feelings of attraction.

by Anonymousreply 3202/29/2012

That sounds just like how The Talented Mr Ripley turns out .. with Ripley becoming Dickie.

by Anonymousreply 202/11/2012

What ever happened to Bochner - he was incredibly hot in this. ?

by Anonymousreply 302/11/2012

How come its Colin who is the superstar - where is Hart Bochner ? He's not another Rupert Everett is he ?

by Anonymousreply 402/11/2012

It's very different than Ripley.

by Anonymousreply 502/11/2012

It will remain a creepy Gay Gothic legend

by Anonymousreply 702/11/2012

[quote]Do I remember correctly -- was the very last scene of the both of them seated at the dining table with only one actually eating?

Yes--because the one not eating is dead, with a bullet in his skull, which was put there by the other one.

by Anonymousreply 802/11/2012

I seem to recall the Jehovah's Witness woman and the sherry-drinking old ladies.

by Anonymousreply 902/12/2012

Bochner's still working, although better known for his ecological advocacy.

by Anonymousreply 1002/12/2012

It's implied that Bochner let him shoot him. Certainly he was the stronger of the two and the more experienced with firearms.

by Anonymousreply 1102/12/2012

yeah, very strange tale. very memorable though. I saw it in its original release years ago, I still can see it now.

by Anonymousreply 1202/12/2012

'It's Pah-chee-no'.

by Anonymousreply 1302/12/2012

I read Bochner's IBDb bio. He's 55 and, reportedly, never married. Hmm.

by Anonymousreply 1402/12/2012

Note to the similarly reading impaired: this film does not star Collin Farrell.

by Anonymousreply 1502/12/2012

The two old ladies are those great British gals Dora Bryan and Liz Smith - love them both.

by Anonymousreply 1602/12/2012

Is it ok if I pass on Hart and praise his daddy Lloyd instead? I thought he was so fucking handsome and sexy.

by Anonymousreply 1702/12/2012

Anyone know who Hart shares his spunk with?

Extremely handsome guy … still!

by Anonymousreply 1802/12/2012

The trivia game from this film is great.

Vincent Price, Edward G. Robinson, Anne Baxter is my neverfail play.

by Anonymousreply 1902/12/2012

Damn. You can sure see where Hart got his looks from. Yes, he still looks good, but he has unfortunate hair.

by Anonymousreply 2002/12/2012

What's wrong w/ his hair, R20?

by Anonymousreply 2102/12/2012

It seems like it's thinned out an awful lot but he's still trying to wear like he did back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 2202/12/2012

Some IMDb posters have already wondered about Bochner. It sounds like he's bi. Apparently dated Sharon Stone and likened her to the anti-Christ. Love it.

[quote]Years ago, I think I can remember him dating the first actress who played Fallon in Dynasty--Pamela Sue Martin. He's not a huge star, so he doesn't seem to get alot of press.

[quote]Well, he's not exactly a paparazzi magnet. He dated Sharon Stone and Jaime Lee Curtis as well. Maybe he's just private about his love life? That does not make him gay.

[quote]I remember the Sharon Stone thing. When asked about her he said dating Sharon Stone was like dating the anti-Christ. Explains why those two didn't marry.

[quote]I was a waiter at The Palm for years in the 80's and waited on Bochner several times. Absolutely gay. He had a fling with one of the valet parking attendants at that time. I saw a number of women hitting on him and he was always flirtacious, mysterious... and never left the restaurant with any of them.

[quote]He was attracted to the smooth, blonde beach boy type of guy, the "Chris Atkins" look from that period.

[quote]I have heard from an inside source--another actor named Tim Murphy, who died in 1988, that Hart was very bisexual but has always said he dies not like labels. He likes women and he likes men. I am ok with that, I can dream regardless. He is a hunk. Agree cc

[quote]I went to college with Hart at UCSD. He definitely flirts with women as I saw first hand and you feel that there is a connection but there wasn't any follow through with me or anyone else. Great eye contact...

by Anonymousreply 2302/12/2012

Ha, love that his MO in real life seems similar to his behaviour in the film. From what I remember, everyone in the main character's life loved Bochner's character whereas they barely tolerated Colin Firth. Or was that just the old women?

by Anonymousreply 2402/13/2012

His hottest role was the asshole frat boy in "Breaking Away"

by Anonymousreply 2502/14/2012

Wikipedia has a complete rundown of the film.

And in OP's link, why does the writer keep calling Firth's character "George"? His character's name is Adrian (according to IMDB and Wikipedia).

by Anonymousreply 2602/14/2012

Bochner has always been rumored to be gay or bi, FWIW.

He was breathtakingly gorgeous in Rich and Famous, Supergirl, and some miniseries. The Winds of War, maybe?

by Anonymousreply 2702/14/2012

Hey DL bitches, I was so intrigued by this thread on Sunday that I actually rejoined Netflix mail service (which I'd canceled months ago when they started double-charging for it with streaming), in order to get this film. Your discussion made it seem like a definite must-see, creepy and perverse, with delicious homoerotic overtones. Well, I just finished watching this piece of shit. What a turkey! The acting was terrible, the situations so fucking trite and implausible, and the ending was cheesy as hell. The only good thing about it were some interesting location shots of Buenos Aires, a city that I've always been curious about. But the rest of it was just BAD BAD BAD. And the homo stuff was hardly what I'd call sexy.

by Anonymousreply 2802/15/2012

You're an idiot R28. The situations were highly plausible. Of course, you don't know anything about the Dirty War of the Disappeareds, do you?

by Anonymousreply 2902/15/2012

Bochner "rumored" to be gay or bi. Sorry for the disappointment but he is very very straight and that is a known fact. Second of all, still very beautiful. End of thread

by Anonymousreply 3002/29/2012

my apologies..didn't realize this site. You are free to dream however you want of Bochner.

by Anonymousreply 3102/29/2012

R28, I haven't seen the film in years and wonder if I'd like it now. Too many times I've rewatched a film and hated it on second viewing.

by Anonymousreply 3202/29/2012
Need more help? Click Here.